Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    Have you done any leather treatment. It is important to keep them in good condition as I think they as more likely to suffer abuse from the sun than regular cloth seats. I treat mine with Lexol about every two months, as mine is always parked outside in the California sun. Maby you had different leather in your Acura, was it parked differently? Or as Toyota has noted, if they are willing to pay, you got a bad batch of leather!
  • doug007doug007 Member Posts: 6
    I have an '01 4X4. When cold or just starting off, I've noticed a rhythmic noise from my front differential, which goes away if I engage 4WD or after 10 minutes in 2WD. I can also feel the vibration through the accelerator pedal. Is this a normal condition - should I be worried about it? It's a hassle to get it to the dealer, but will if it's a problem. I'd appreciate some input.
  • lis123lis123 Member Posts: 1
    My toyota sequoia 2002 at 37000 miles battery suddenly went dead. Installed new battery and VSC OFF light and VSC TRACK light illuminated. I performed a diagnostic check with code reader and there are no faults noted and the system passed even though the vsc track and off lights are still on.I was wondering if after changing the battery if the VSC needs to be reset? Any ideas would be gladly appreciated.
  • sequoia01sequoia01 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 Sequoia and have been experiencing many of similar problems with my VSC and trac lights going on during "normal" driving conditions. My TRAC lights also go on in the cold/higher altitudes as I have seen others post. This problem was originally diagnosed by Toyota 2 years ago as a Steering Angle Sensor problem, but they said it must just be the computer! I am so frustrated at dealing with this for over two years that I am ready to take Toyota to arbitration. Any help with TSB's and/or other useful websites would be most appreciated. Also, has anyone else taken Toyota to arbitration over similar matters? Please advise. Thanks.
  • sequoia01sequoia01 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '01 not an '02 Sequoia!
  • jpompeojpompeo Member Posts: 5
    03' Seq Ltd. Whenever I am accelerating between 25 and 40mph, thre is a loud "Click" that comes from the dash. Sounds like an old-style "relay" switch (pitch UP - pitch Down). Only happens once, until I slow to below 25mph, and accelerate again....another "CLICK - click". Anyone else having this problem?

Also - I'm annoyed that the Front map lights don't illuminate when you open the door...just the rear map lights. Dealer says Models without Sunroof have front maplights set to illuminate when doors are opened, but with Sunroof it doesn't work. Can anyone else validate? Thanks.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    The clicks are the VSC system doing a self-test.

I had a 2002 w/o sunroof and the map lights did not come on with the doors, only the dome light.

My 2004 has the sunroof and, yes, it is very annoying that the rear ones come on and the front ones don't.
    03' Seq Ltd. Whenever I am accelerating between 25 and 40mph, thre is a loud "Click" that comes from the dash. Sounds like an old-style "relay" switch (pitch UP - pitch Down). Only happens once, until I slow to below 25mph, and accelerate again....another "CLICK - click". Anyone else having this problem?

Also - I'm annoyed that the Front map lights don't illuminate when you open the door...just the rear map lights. Dealer says Models without Sunroof have front maplights set to illuminate when doors are opened, but with Sunroof it doesn't work. Can anyone else validate? Thanks.
  • sadtoyotaownersadtoyotaowner Member Posts: 6
    Read the book. Then change the setting.
    SadToyotawoner,

Can you be more specific please? What
    setting" are you referring to changing? I did read the book and talked to the Dealer, who was no help.

Do you know a fix?
  • raydent99raydent99 Member Posts: 2
    I've been having the same VSC/Trac light problem intermittantly on my 2002 Sequoia for 17 months. The last 6 months, it's been more frequent, and I've been to the dealership 7 or 8 times for repairs. Toyota sent out a service tech to perform their final repair attempt, and the light came on the next day. He tried again, this time replacing the "power brake booster". So far, no light...but we've gone for as many as 17,000 miles at one point with no light after a repair. Six repair attempts in 6 months is too many, so we filed for arbitration. We have our arbitration hearing in two days. Good luck with your truck...and keep good records. Toyota has been trying to settle for the past week, but the terms haven't been acceptable yet. I'm hoping this isn't an issue with the '03's and the '04's, since there's not many alternatives on the market that appeal to me. If we get another Sequoia, I'm keeping iron-clad documentation just in case it's a problem with no solution.
  • haymakerhokiehaymakerhokie Member Posts: 11
    All,

As i had previously posted in this forum, I too had the VSC light issues. After several attempts, mostly dealing with the Speed Sensors in the wheels, they finally replaced the speed control computer. It required a call to their 800 number to open a case, but was quickly addressed once open. So far so good, but I've only got about 7k miles on it.

Also, the clicking is the self diagnostic check for the computer and the interior lighting scheme can be adjusted. I recall reading in the manual how to do it.
  • jbb4jbb4 Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar problem with the front differential on my 2003 Sequoia, the problem was fairly common with Sequoia's early in 2003. If you refer back to posting for Jan-March of 2003 (pages 12-14) you will see alot of references to the problem you describe. Mine was finally resolved by replacing the differential. I have had no problems since.

I also had an issue with the VSC lights. After several attempts, my problems were resolved by Toyota re directing and insulating some ground wires. I have had no issues since the repairs were made in April of 2003
  • groobashgroobash Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a loaded Silver Sky 2002 SR5 2WD yesterday. At 28k miles it has many of the same problems...VERY poor leather seat durability, truck pulls to the right, wheel doesn't return to center, VSC/TRAC lights on, crappy stereo sound...but my wife and I absolutely *love* the truck, and I'm hoping most of this can be fixed under warranty if I can hunt down the TSB thingees.

It was traded in the night before for a new Escalade, and hadn't been made ready for sale yet. It was the end of the month so they were hungry for a sale to meet their quota, and being a Cadillac dealer they didn't wanna deal with the Toyota. It was due to be sold to a Toyota dealer the next day. We got the same price. ;)

Has anyone had any luck getting Toyota to recover their leather seats or anything? The ones in my truck look like it has 100k+ miles on it. In fact, when I first opened the door I thought it was a very high mileage vehicle until we checked the actual mileage.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. :)
    BTW...if anyone has a good source to locate the full TSBs online, could you please email a link to groobash@excite.com? Thanks much...I appreciate it. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    0patience over in "Technical Service Bulletins" Feb 21, 2004 7:09pm on the M&R board may be able to help you.
  • jbanvillejbanville Member Posts: 20
    I think you all are mistaken about the manual containing info about being able to change how the front interior lights illuminate.
  • kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    The ones on my 2003 SR5 were coming on. Got a new computer installed and so far, so good. Took a while to get the computer, it was backordered. They read the code and ordered the part.
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 SR5. I've had my share of the annoying problems, including the air conditioner fiasco. My problem is this, When the gas tank gets below 1/4 full I hear what sounds like a bullfrog sound eminating from the gas tank filler tube. I've been to the dealer numerous times and they cannot find the cause. My 36,000 mile warranty is just about up so i would like to get this problem solved. Anybody have anything similar?
    I have same gas tank problem but only in hot summer weather. Don't let it get lower than one quarter empty! I just live with it, it does not do it all the time and when it does all you have to do is loosen the gas cap and the noise goes away.
  • zippercatzippercat Member Posts: 7
    Last month we rec'd our '04 Limited, which included the Rear Audio option (but not the DVD system). We were told by the salesman, and it SAYS IN THE MANUAL, that the system will work with the Toyota wireless headphones. After buying a pair of the Toyota headphones, they didn't work. Went to the dealer: they said headphones were defective and ordered replacements (they were out of stock). Week later, return to dealer. Parts guy says they must "install" them or else I must pay for them and warranty will not. OK, so I wait the necessary hour until the service tech comes to me and now says they had checked with the Toyota tech desk and they said the manual is wrong...my vehicle is not equipped for wireless headphones; the rear audio will only work with wired headsets. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Anybody else have any experience with this?
  • gasr5gasr5 Member Posts: 7
    gKatz1 can you please send me the info for aglinment you talked about in 603, dc_orton@yahoo.com THANKS.
    There was a similar experience with the heated seats in "01 I think the manual said it comes with the leather seats option when ordered on the SR5 but when you got it there was no heater included, sorry the brouchure was wrong was the answer!!
    Just built this new computer and I haven't gotton the email working yet, but I have the specs for you.

For Sequoia 4WD

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees
    total toe: +0.08 degrees

These numbers are within factory specs just more specific.
    Thanks gkatz1, I have an 04 2wd sr5 that is pulling to the right and I have had trouble with wheel balance. 17in wheel pkg #2, I will give this to the service tech and see if I can get it fixed. will keep you posted.
    I had the same issue with my 2002. Thses specs did the trick. Much better straight line stability. Good luck. If you can get a "road force balance" if they have the machine.
    are specs same for 2WD? Thanks!
    2WD is a little different.

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees (4WD) or +3.00 degrees (2WD)
    total toe: +0.08 degrees
  • danlberrydanlberry Member Posts: 1
    See Gil's post # 29. I have a 2003 with the same characteristics. Is this common to all? If not, have others encountered and corrected this issue?
  • wipwip Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2004 Sequoia 4WD SR5. I noticed a hum/vibration coming from the front of the vehicle at about 40 MPH. It went away after the vehicle warmed up or I put it in 4x4. I researched this on this site and discovered many had the same symptoms on their 2002's and 2003's. Well, it still exists on the 2004's. I took it to the dealer last week (the tires needed balancing too). Dealer couldn't duplicate (warmed up. They also said they hadn't heard of this problem. Hard to believe after reading previous posts here. Mostly an annoyance now, but am worried about future problems.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Just got my 04 SR5 in Blue Marlin Pearl. Love the vehicle. Only issue, a squeak near the passenger door I thouight. Now after reading this forum, I think it could be the infamous squeak from the sunroof or liner. From what I have been reading there is no fix for this. Is this true? Any suggestions to temporarily fix this by myself? Thanks
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    Well, if there isn't a way to fix it, have them replace it. This is a brand new vehicle and you don't have to tolerate things such as that.
  • doug007doug007 Member Posts: 6
    Wip - see also posts 227-230 regarding differential noise. I have the same problem in my 2001. From all of the posts, I've given up worrying about it. However, it's a bit annoying, particularly when it stays very cold all day. Now that we're heading into Spring, it's lessened a bit.
  • kellykelly Member Posts: 7
    I just got home with my 2004 Sequoia Limited and I need some help. I have read the owners manual front to back and the same section at least a dozen times, and I am lost. How do I set the power door locks to "Mode 4" as described in the manual? I have done it step by step at least 10 times and still can't get it to work, am I missing something or what. Thanks for any info.
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    Can you post the instructions please, I have a 2001 and the manual just says please visit dealership. I'm curious to see if it'll work on a 2001 the same.
    1. Key in ignition and turn to ACC
    2. Lock the car
    3. Shift into Neutral
    4. Turn ignition to 'on'
    5. Shift into Park
    6. Hold the door lock button down in the 'unlock' position for 5 seconds

...at which point the door locks and then unlocks...
    Just got back from trip to panhandle and was cleaning my o4 sr5 and noticed 4 nice size chips of paint missing from the front and hood area.... I guess this is a problem with this suv??? time to buy a bra. Also will be taking back to shop for 3rd time to get frontend aglined pulling to right @ 40 and above. Plus still have a wheel balance problem. I got 16 mpg @ 80-90 mph with a/c on. Car has 2k miles on it.
    The alignment specs from the factory tend to be sensetive to the crown in the road. Go back and find the alignment specs I posted and use them. You'll find much better straight line stability.

As for the chips. This is a problem with all the new cars because of the brittle water based paints. That's why I had the front covered in 3M film shortly after buying it. No worries. I've had my Maxima covered for a couple years with no problems so far. Expensive, but worth it.
  • kellykelly Member Posts: 7
    I tried the formula from the last message and I still couldn't reprogram locks. Is there a reset button I can press or disconnecting the battery? Should I take back to dealer? Thanks again
    That method worked on my 2002 and my 2004, so I think you need to keep trying. It may take a few times.
  • chuck55chuck55 Member Posts: 1
    While I was greasing the propeller shaft I figured I'd hit all the fittings while I was under the truck. Does anyone know all the grease points on the driveshafts ? I am also having a problem getting the gun on the fittings on the front driveshaft as it looks like you may need a narrow head on the grease gun. Has anyone greased these areas ?
    Thanks !
  • nikosgpnikosgp Member Posts: 5
    I read your posting and Posting 429 by piela regarding a leak in the cargo area.

I have the same problem. I do not have a sunroof. The windows have been closed. I do have a rear air condition on the passenger side of the rear cargo area however the majority and the dampness is on the driver's side rear corner of the cargo area. The dampness / leak is coming from the bottom. Therefore, I am thinking that it may be a leak from the under-carriage has I am driving through wet roads and puddles. Has your problem been resolved? Does anyone else have a similar problem?
  • nikosgpnikosgp Member Posts: 5
    I also discovered a leak in the rear of the cargo area while vacuuming. The dampness / leak is the the driver side rear part of the cargo area. Did you discover any remedy. I am scheduling a visit to service next week. I am thinking that it is coming from the under-carriage of the car while driving through wet roads and puddles.
  • ruffruff Member Posts: 1
    The noise I hear is a rattling sound that comes from the 2nd row behind the passenger seat. I hear the noise only when the seatback is locked in the down position. No rattling noise occurs when the seatback is in its upright position. The noise is not consistent, only hear it when run over a bump or fall into a rut.

I got the vehicle last October 2003.
    Your talking about the single seat in the 2nd row that flips forward right? Mine is doing the same thing. If you punch the seat back you can hear it and it comes from the right floor hinge which houses the spring. It seems the pin that holds the hinge together has a tiny amount of play. My 2002 didn't have the problem. Not sure how to fix it but I'm thinking about it.
    I took it to the dealer the other day and what do you know...The temperature got over 50 degrees and when I drove it with a service tech in the car there was no squeak. Probably wait til winter to get it checked out again.
    Well today was well over 80 degrees and I heard that squeaking again. Now I think maybe it's not the sunroof. Its really hard to pinpoint where it is. I'm thinking it could be in the passenger seat area because when I drove it with the service tech. in the passenger seat it wasn't there. Maybe it's the weight on the seat that stopped it from squeaking.
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56
    Hard to say, but this may be the same problem I had in my 2003 with the single seat in the second row. I took it in and they said there was a bolt missing or something along those lines. I have no idea how or why that was, but it is fixed now.
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    The single second row seat on my 2003 Sequoia also rattles. I never has any rattling noise, until I lowered the seat for a 3rd row passenger about one month ago.

I guess I'll have the dealer check it when I have the transmission fluid replaced next month.
    The 4th time to shop, now I have 4 new Michelin's. No more pull and rides like a different car. Put a bug deflector on to help with those darn paint chips.