Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• m0000m0000 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I've noticed it and have it on my list of warranty items at the dealer. I'll write a summary of how that is handled.
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    Sounds like your T100 had either worn or broken motor mounts.
    Not sure if this is what you want, but you'll get a much more pronounced engine rumble with the tip pointed at the ground.
    The rear window probably can't utilize an auto-reverse because it's quite a bit heavier than the rest of the windows. The sensitivity of the obstruction detection would have to be turn down so much to allow the window to go up that it would cause injuries before being triggered.
  • sharkshark Member Posts: 2
    First of all.... I love my 2002 Sequoia Limited (40k miles) and still going. However, I would like to change a couple of things. Has anyone tried to reduce the amount of cabin noise? The rear of the vehicle seems to really have a lot, especially when the engine is pulling hard. Also, can anyone get better the 15.5 MPG. This is my calculation not what the computer displays.
    Just turn up the radio :) Kidding aside, probably the only way to do something about the noise is to install some sound deadening material. You should be able to pick this up at most automotive shops, and it's pretty easy to get under the rear carpet. Take out the third row seats, then remove the flat piece of trim at the very rear of the floor(it's almost under the rear liftgate) and lift up the carpet, it's not attached in any way. When you're done, just tuck it back under the side trim and put everything back in place. As for gas mileage I'm not sure you have many options, but you could always check into some tires with less rolling resistance. The best way is to try and reduce weight, remove the third row seats and anything else you don't need. If someone here would be kind enough to answer, does having a bug shield on the hood improve the air resistance of the truck any?
  • m0000m0000 Member Posts: 5
    Good rustproofing will help sound deadening a lot.
    Dynamat urethane soundproofing helps. Patching tar, or mastic also.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    If that milage was city/highway combo you are doing better that me. My average is 12-13 in 75city 25 highway
  • sharkshark Member Posts: 2
    I checked with the local auto store to find some sound deadening material. My question is 'should I also put it up along the inside underneath the rear windows?'. How would I take the side (plastic) panels off without causing more problems?

As far as gas mileage, the 15.5 mpg is mostly highway. I get around 13 for city driving.
    Taking the interior trim off isn't the difficult part, it's getting it to go back on. If you don't have experience messing with vehicle interior trim pieces, I'm not sure I'd recommend practicing on a Sequoia as it's quite difficult to get everything put back perfectly.
  • ricosuavericosuave Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks for this site. I just save big bucks on my 2002 model. I felt the brake vibration almost a year ago but did not pay attention until my brakes started to make some noise. I planned to replace the front pads but somehow, I went to google and got me here. After reading problems with other toyota owners, I got some great information. I have 31K miles on it so it's still under warranty. I took my suv to my dealer and yes, they upgraded my brake unit as part of the tsb. Now, I still need to repair the 'thud' noise when my vehicle is stop. Grease the slip yoke?
  • ricosuavericosuave Member Posts: 3
    Wow, your business must be making big bucks. Delivery vehicle using a expensive SUV, wow. I own a 2002 Sequoia and I don't think it will be a good idea to deliver cakes on this vehicle. Yes, the second row lay flat but not that flat. Try considering a more expensive SUV, maybe a Hummer. Just kidding, get a cheap minivan....
  • laurenlauren Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what the brake upgrade consists of? I was about to call Toyota about the same problems as described here. My vehicle is still under warranty also.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Can anyone tell me what years does the brake TSB cover?
  • mstacy1mstacy1 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Sequoia and I have a friend that has the same year as well. Her transmission did the same thing when it was brand new. Luckily, the transmision just died before warranty expired. Get the tranny checked at another dealer if you have too. AS far as brakes go, I have had squeeling brake issues since the truck was knew. It comes and goes and I have 87000 miles on it now.
  • mstacy1mstacy1 Member Posts: 9
    I have had my 2001 since new and have approx 87,000 miles on it. I have had problems with the rear taligate latch/lock and just had it replaced..Luckliy, I have a very good non-toyota mechanic who did it for half the cost as a dealer approx $150 just for parts...2 years ago the license plate lighting harness had to be replaced at a toyota cost of $450.00 ..Went to Toyota Corporate with no success...I felt a 40K vehicle should not have that issue..I think the tailgate has a design flaw. As a matter of fact, when my mechanic called toyota for the tailgate latch and lock mechanism teh parts guy said that this is the 4th part in a week..So as a heads up watch out for your tailgate lock/latch. Inspect it for rust and if it starts to stick or you have problems opening get it fixed before Warranty expires..

I also have had the grinding noise when accelerating up a hill while turning...Never could find out what that was and neither could toyota.

I have been lucky as I have not had any major issues. Had some brake problems and replaced the front rotors at approx 35k but now have 87k and same rotors. My wife and I luv this truck and I hope to have it for many more miles to come.

Another note, watch out if you have the locking lug nuts. Had a flat the other day and while trying to turn the lug with the key lock a portion of the lug sheared off. I have now replaced all locking lugs with standard....SO glad I have found this board
  • bryanlutbryanlut Member Posts: 2
  • bryanlutbryanlut Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 sequoia and now all of a sudden driving down the highway the vsc/trac control will come on and try to take over. It will keep on going till the trac control system eventually disengages... Quite fun when you are crusing at 80 mph..Can be very exciting for everyone in the car. Has anyone had issues with this coming on on dry pavement. Any suggestions?
    That's quite dangerous and it should NOT happen, take it in to be checked ASAP. Only possibilities that comes to mind are either a really low tire or extreme tread wear could make the system think that wheel is spinning faster than it should, faulty speed sensors, or faulty steering sensor. With the sensors though, the computer should realize they are bad and disengage the VSC/TRAC system.
  • crackindalecrackindale Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Sequoia and check the mpg all the time. Best 22.5 Worst about 14mpg. It depends on what I carry and how much weight. Trips to Colorado a couple of times a year mpg is very dependent on the wind. Usually a west head wind going out.
  • crackindalecrackindale Member Posts: 2
    With cruse on. Starting up a hill the 1st thing that happens--comes out of Over Drive.... It should at least give this event a chance before shifting into passing. However, it doesn't and this transition happens to quick. My 92 Dodge caravan gives it a chance after it kicks out of over drive and usually it doesn't need passing gear. On older cruse system you could adjust this. What can be done on the newer Sequoia's? It would give you more millage. I can manually control the situation on a hill and not loose any speed.
  • foodheadfoodhead Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Sequoia and have these type problems at slow speeds under 30mph when turning corners and the computer shuts down the power briefly. It happens on level ground when it's dry outside.Did you get any resolution from Toyota about the problem?
  • foodheadfoodhead Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a situation when turning on level or slight inclines and on dry pavement where the computer shuts off power because it thinks the wheels are spinning. This occurs at speeds under 30 mph when your in the turn and accelerating.
    I have had these problems but only at high speeds, not enough to break traction but enough to make you lean. Some part of the VSC sences speed and G force on turns, make it feel like driving a bumpercar sometimes, hard to hurt yourself or get out of control. Humm...thats what this device is all about!!
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    My wife has a 2004 Sequoia Limited with about 11K miles on it. About 3 weeks ago, the vehicle rides fine but it sounds like a diesel truck! I have engage and disengaged the 4WD and the differential and no change.

Anyone else have similar experiences or have ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Paul
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Well, if it's really cold where you are then the engine will sound like that when it is cold.

However, if it is knocking at idle, like my 2004 did, bring it in. Mine had something internal wrong with it, most likely a bad bearing or wrist pin. The problem resulted in an engine change at 5500 miles. I wasn't happy but I haven't had any issue since.
    That's the Trac system kicking in because one of your tires started slipping slightly, likely you didn't even notice as it's pretty sensitive. The only time VSC(Vehicle Skid Control) will kick in is if you actually start sliding sideways, which I'm sure you'd notice. The easiest way to avoid this is just leave it in 4wd. The Sequoia has a full-time 4wd system when the center differential is unlocked. The main reasons most people don't leave it in 4wd 24/7 are lower mpg(most people say they lose 1-2mpg, but I haven't noticed much of a difference) and increased wear on the drivetrain, which I wouldn't really worry about with a Toyota.
    You're the first person I've seen so far with similar mileage on a Sequoia, I'm up to 94k now and the only major problem I've had is the AC, which was fixed under the TSB for free even though I was way out of the covered mileage.

What exactly were the symptoms of your rear latch problem? The problem I'm having with it is that it won't latch unless I slam it closed EXTREMELY hard, but it opens just fine. There's even been a couple times I've had to climb inside and yank it closed with the strap that's attached to it.

Not sure about the newer models but the 2001 standard lugs are the kind with a cap on them, get rid of these ASAP as it's easy to strip them out trying to change a tire.

Brake Dust:
    For anyone that hates brake dust all over thier rims, I recently put ceramic brakes on my Sequoia, and not only do they stop better but I haven't had to clean brake dust off the rims since the new brakes were installed!

Even though there's been a couple issues with my 2001 Sequoia I simply love this truck and wouldn't give it up for anything except another Sequoia. I've used it to yank people from ditches in the winter, tow cars around on a 2000lb trailer, haul 8 people(that includes me) + gear in comfort, daily 80 mile(each way) commute to downtown chicago, haul furniture(fit a full-size couch inside the Sequoia), and even play in some deep nasty mud without getting stuck with my BFG KO's(came close though). I don't think there's much this truck can't handle, except maybe strong winds. It gets pushed all over the road when it's windy out, but I expected that from driving something this huge down the road.
    The VSC shouldn't kick in unless you actually start sliding sideways, most likely what you're feeling is the Trac sensing a slight loss of traction in one of your rear tires(I'm guessing you're in 2wd when this happens). If you want to experience VSC, wait for some snow, find a big empty snow covered parking lot, get up to about 5-10mph and cut the wheel. When you start sliding sideways the VSC will kick in to stop it.
    I have 76K on my first year seq. had it since new and only problems are brakes wearing out fast, where did you get ceramic pads and were they more expensive than standard, I know new ones cost about $117 here in Sacramento. my only real problem is the hook that holds up the second row of seats, very low teck and when not put away properly, the leave a nasty while mark on the bottom of the seat.

I have 2 wheel drive and tow a 6,000lb trailer, and could not ask for a better all around vehicle, haul dogs, kids and adults. I would buy another in a flash, however

not excited about new proposed engine with more horsepower if it must use premium fuel, can get a little costly.
    If this is a new sound and hasn't been there the entire 11k miles, you need to take it in and have it checked before your engine destroys itself. Either something internal to the engine is damaged, or you have no oil running through the engine(or really really old oil).

While I'm talking about oil, stay far away from quaker state and pennzoil. My father has been a mechanic over 30 years, and 90% of the engines he's seen sludged up ran one of those oils. The oils I've seen most people on these boards run are mobil, valvoline, amsoil, and red line. If you don't want to go full synthetic I recommend valvoline durablend, it's not as expensive as full synthetic but will provide some of the benefits of synthetic including the extra additives.
    You can find ceramics at any parts store out there, they cost me about $90, but they are supposed to last alot longer, and I've spent more than that in cleaning products for brake dust. If your brakes are wearing faster than they should(you should get at least 30k each change unless you do alot of towing) and the 2001 brake caliper TSB doesn't apply to you, I'd have your rotors checked for grooves as this will cause much faster pad wear. If the pads on a certain wheel are wearing noticibly faster than the others, you may have a stuck caliper.

I agree with you about the second row straps, the only way I get them to hold properly is if I strap them up, then move one of the front seats back to tighten it up.
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    Well we took it to the Toyota dealer and they said the engine is fine but they need to replace both sets or rear wheel bearings. Parts are on order and it must have been pretty bad. My wife was not allowed to take the car for the rest of the day to run her errands. They did provide her a free loaner.

Stay tuned
    Sorry to misdiagnose so badly, but bad wheel bearings is quite a different sound than a diesel, I'm glad to see your problem was found and is being fixed though. I'm wondering how both rear wheel bearings could go out at the same time with such low mileage, I've never seen that before, and wouldn't expect to see it in a Toyota.

I'm guessing they gave you a camry for the loaner, I know from experience that you'll appreciate getting the Sequoia back after that. Now don't get me wrong, I put 45k miles on my camry and loved that car, but once you get used to the Sequoia it just doesn't feel right being that close to the ground :)
  • backsterbackster Member Posts: 12
    2001 Sequoia LTD, 79,500 get a new transmission as we speak! Covered under toyota's platinum warranty--no cost to me--I guess I got money out of the warranty. Just got a Sienna XLE LTD, was leaning against the warranty but at the end decided to get one--guess that is paid for too now!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend
    baxter
  • mannyboymannyboy Member Posts: 12
    My biggest problem on my 2001 Sequoia LTD is the AC, I brought it to the dealer for the 4th time seems like every 2 weeks I have to go back to the dealer, they already change the whole AC system and still not working right, the only good thing about it I have a extended warranty.
    The dealership I had my AC system replaced at also had to do it a second time, but they ran a thorough test after the first time and discovered the problem before I had the chance to. They then replaced it a secondtime for free and I haven't had a problem since. The dealership gave two possible reasons for the first replacement not working, they either got a bum compressor(which isn't uncommon) or they didn't flush the system well enough before putting it back together. FYI, they also had to replace the clutch which isn't part of the TSB.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I have read on other forums that Toyota has issued a TSB regarding replacement of the catalytic converter for those suffering from the rotten egg odor. Has anyone heard of this and has anyone had their cc replaced in a Sequoia? Is it something that is done even if out of warranty? I complained to the dealer about mine several times and was pretty much blown off. Now I am at around 40k miles.
    I have the same problem but I'm at 95k.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    What were the issues with your AC? My 2001 (79K) has been emitting a buzzing noise (which gets louder the higher the fan speed) near the black box on the passenger floorboard. Overall, the a/c is fairly noisy from the outside, too. Of course, I suffer from the rotton egg smell and have complained numerous times to no avail. The only other significant problems I have experienced is (1)both rear axle seals were replaced (one at 30K and one at 60K) and (2) during cold days, I get a humming vibration from the front axle that goes away when the car warms up. Fortunately, I purchased the platinum warranty (which effectively paid for itself w/ the second axle seal), but I am concerned with A/C and transmission issues after 100K.
    After some research, I found this article

http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/bus- - iness/1090056830180623.xml

titled "Customers driven to make a stink - After delay, Toyota responds to complaints about smelly cars", Saturday, July 17, 2004, Christopher Jensen, Plain Dealer Auto Editor.

It says this about the stink:

“About 4 million vehicles are covered by a series of technical service bulletins sent to dealers about the problem starting in May. The bulletins do not mean all the vehicles are being recalled; they simply inform dealers how to handle the problem should it occur.
    The vehicles include the 2002 to 2004 Camrys, 2003 and 2004 4Runners, 2003-2004 Corollas, 2004 RAV4s, 2002-2004 Solaras, 2004 Highlanders, 2001-2004 Sequoias, 2003-2004 Matrixes, 2002-2003 Lexus ES 300s and 2003-2004 Lexus GX 470s. “

“The cost to fix the problem ranges from $2,000 to $3,000. Repairs are being covered under an emissions warranty, which goes for eight years or 80,000 miles, according to Toyota. “

I am most definitely discussing this with the dealership at my next service appointment.

I am still wondering, has anyone has had the fix?
    flyfish4life -

In addition to the rotten egg smell, I have also had the rear axle seals replaced around 25k miles. I had a screeching noise whenever I made a sharp turn even at slow speeds. I am starting to have the squeal again and I am wondering if this is a sign of the rear axle seals going bad again. Since they were replaced less than a year ago, I am hoping that they can be replaced again at no cost to me. I hate to think that this is going to be a recurring problem with my Sequoia.
    You'd know if you had the problem covered in the TSB, your ac light would start flashing on and off when you tried to use it. For the vibration, it sounds like you have something stuck in the fan, it'll have to be pulled apart and checked. If the rotten egg smell you are talking about is the exhaust, there's a TSB out to replace some exhaust components. If you are talking about a rotten egg smell from the AC, simply spray some lysol in the vents while on recirculate and clean out the mildew that's forming in your ducts.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Thanks for the insight, bp3959 - FYI, the rotten egg smell is with the exhaust and I will inquire about the TSB.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    TONIGHT -
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sharishari Member Posts: 5
    sequoia, 2003. Ever since I purchased my car in may of 03, i have had the same issue with my car. It is a limited, and I called the dealer that day and it is going in now for the third time to have it looked at. It drives me completely nuts!
    It sounds like a wire is loose or something, but my amplifier has been replaced once, and on the way home, the noise started again, (that was in April)
    I am not happy that I spent so much on a car and I have had trouble with it from day 1.
  • billdbilld Member Posts: 1
    Will need to remove the roof rack to get it in my garage. Am concerned with filling the holes and how it will look w/out the racks. Anyone out there havd a Sequoia w/out a rack?
  • kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    Had the TSB done on my 2003. It works! All I had to do was ask for it...and it was done. The total cost to me was $0, but the invoice was $2800. Glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Anyone else have the buzzing noise coming from their speakers?? Had both amps replaced but it still does it. Not all the time, though.
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    In answer to seadoo3- See posts 433, 434, 435. I had trouble diagnosing mine. It turned out to be a Nextel phone acquired from work. I have a 2003 limited with the rear audio and the dealer actually showed me the paragraph in the user manual that states cell phones could cause interference/static on the radio. Turn off your cell phone and see if it stops.
  • sjk2sjk2 Member Posts: 5
    Are there enough Sequoia owners out there who are angry enough at Toyota for treating us like NOBODYS? How many times did Toyota say to you this problem is normal?

If the it was under the Lexus nameplate, Toyota would turn themselves inside out to remedy our problems... The GX470 share the same Drive Shaft technology and when LEXUS Owners complain with the same problems Lexus acknowledges it and offers a solution... They have a Technical Service Bulliten to correct that exact problem... Our TOYOTA SEQUOIAS cost in the $40,000-$50,000 range. We need to get the same treatment as the Lexus GX470 drivers.

We as a group can make a difference...Everybody who brings their truck in to Toyoyta for this problem can not be dismissed by the dealer telling us it is normal when LEXUS recognizes this as a PROBLEM with a REMEDY.

WE NEED TO START A CLASS ACTION SUIT TO MAKE TOYOTA FIX IT.

Register a complaint into the government website www.nhtsa.dot.gov or call them tollfree 888 327 4236
    TOYOTA has to acknowledge each one of these complaints.

MAKE TOYOTA ACCOUNTABLE.

I invite replies to further this QUEST