Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• exmurrexmurr Member Posts: 1
    I leased a 2004 sequoia limited a few weeks ago and have been disappointed with the quality of the ride at highway speeds. There's a noticeable vibration in the center console, seats, and door arm rests which drives me nuts. I've taken it into service twice for rebalancing and have gone out on test drives with the service director. They tell me there's nothing wrong with it ("it's a truck") but I can't believe that this car got great reviews with this ride. I've owned two Expeditions in the past and never had any problems with ride quality so it's just hard to imagine that the Sequoia would ride worse.

While shopping, I test drove 2 other Sequoia's which rode nicely and then the one I finally bought. On the one I bought, I noticed the problem but let the sales person convince me that it was just a balancing issue.

The service people hinted at the tires (Dunlop Grandtrek AT20). I test drove another new Sequoia with the same tires and it had a worse ride than mine...

If anyone has had similar problems/experiences with these tires or other issues which might have the same symptoms, I'd like to hear about them. I may try to pursue a tire swap with Toyota but not sure how far I'll get with that or if that will resolve my issues.
  • nige1970nige1970 Member Posts: 1
    MY 03 LIMITED HAS SAME PROBLEM-BUT IT GOES AWAY WHEN DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLAR SHAFT IS LUBED,IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE TO LUBE/GREASE IT EVERY 2-3K MILES,PAIN IN THE [non-permissible content removed] AND I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP(NOT TOYOTA),IN THE OWNERS MAINT. LOG IT SAYS TO LUBE DAILY!!!!IF YOU LIVE/DRIVE IN DUSTY AREAS OR TOW FREQUENTLY.
  • satykhaysavangsatykhaysavang Member Posts: 2
    I'm planning on buying 01 Sequoia SR5 with 65k miles for $22,500. I wonder if there are any potential problems that I should be aware of from 01 model year since it is the first production year.

Thanks for response
  • bp3959bp3959 Member Posts: 156
    With that many miles on it any problems it had should have been worked out by now. Check that the AC works and the brakes are not warped.
  • satykhaysavangsatykhaysavang Member Posts: 2
    A/C works fine and brake doesn't warped. My other concerns are with minor thing such as the smell from cat. converter, low oil pressure during idle, etc. I assumed these problems should be fixed by the dealer under the TSB even though the care is out of factory warranty. Am I right?
    I've heard the cat TSB is good till 85k, make sure though because if not it's about $2k.
  • sharishari Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a question, did they ever find out what the static noise was from your stereo? mine has had the same thing, been in 3x to 2 different dealers, no one says they hear it and cant fix it unless they hear it. I am having my 03 limited go in next week for service manager to drive back and forth for a week so they can hear it. i was hoping someone can tell me what it was before I get it in there so they know where to start.
    thanks, shari (braindeadmomma@aol.com)
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    After writing a rather lengthy problem and its solution note, I wanted to check an earlier post before sending mine in. When I came back, mine was gone. Can it be found?
  • rpnugerpnuge Member Posts: 13
    hi,
    sadly, i had a rock hit my windshield and started a crack that's moving up on the drivers side. My insurance (in Mass) will pay 100% for replacement. But they did mention a dealer may be more money and I could end up paying some if insurance doesn't cover it all. So the question is, what is the difference between a Toyota windshield and what the third party companies use?
    I'm leaning towards having Toyota do it.

Rich
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm not sure what happened, but it doesn't look as though your message was posted.
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    I would have the Toyota dealer do the replacement. I just had the windshield replaced on my 2001. I went to a recommended Independent Glass Dealer. They did a terrible job and damaged the dashboard trying to clean the urethane they spilled on it. My Toyota Dealer does not replace windshields, they have a local glass company replace it in their lot. Be careful who you choose, I had to have mine replaced for a second time by another glass company. I am taking the first glass company to small claims court for the dashboard damage. Also I don't know about Mass. but in NH you can have the windshield replaced at any place you choose and the insurance will cover it.
  • steveetsteveet Member Posts: 1
    My '02 has the exact same problem and I'm taking it in tomorrow to be looked at. Is there a TSB that covers this problem? Otherwise this vehicle has been fantastic - really. I do seem to have some brake fade, but I'm at 34,000 miles. I wonder, is there a rotor/brake upgrade solution that anyone knows abouit?
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Member Posts: 10
    I had some prior posts about static on my 2003 Limited. It turned out to be a Nextel cellphone that searches for signals as you drive. If you have a cell phone try driving your Sequoia without it on. I was able to drive with the static, turn off the Nextel and the static stopped. The user's manual actually states that cell phones can cause interference/static on your radio.
  • lewis3klewis3k Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 limited Toyota Sequioa with 36K miles . The other night while I was driving home and the engine light came on. Before I take it to the dealer tomorrow, do anyone know what this may indicate or had this experience.
    I have a 2001 limited toyota sequioa with 36K miles and the check engine light came on the other night as I was driving. DO you know what the problem could be?
    I would recommend you get some warranty , from my experience the least little thing cause the indicator light to come on .
  • sharishari Member Posts: 5
    RICH, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, WITHIN A FEW MONTHS OF PURCHASING MY 03 LIMITED, MY WINDSHIELD HAD TO BE REPLACED, THE COMPANY MY INSURANCE USED PUT IN CHEAP GLASS, AND THE SEAL WAS UNEVEN (LOOKED HORRIBLE) WITHIN 2 WEEKS, I HAD ANOTHER HUGE CRACK AND HAD TO HAVE IT REPLACED AGAIN! I AM NOW ON MY THIRD WINDSHIELD, AND GOT ANOTHER CRACK IN MAY. (THIS ONE IS ONLY A SPIDER CRACK AND IS GETTING FIXED SOON) MY ADVICE, GET TOYOTA TO REPLACE IT, BECAUSE THE AFTER MARKET GLASS STINKS!!! A QUESTION TO YOU, DO YOU HAVE ANY SPEAKER SOUNDS IN YOUR CAR? I HAVE A HORRIBLE SKIPPING SOUND THAT HAPPENS WHETHER THE RADIO IS ON OR NOT AND WHETHER MY PHONE IS IN THE CAR OR NOT. HAVE TRIED 3X TO GET TOYOTA TO HEAR IT, BUT OF COURSE, THEY DON'T.
    THANKS, SHARI
  • falcon1falcon1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a '02 sequoia limited used with 40k miles... certified by toyota... is there anything that I need to know about the '02 models and did they fix the problem in more recent models? thanks, any issue would be helpful...
  • rpnugerpnuge Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the input. I had my windshield replaced at a reputable local glass dealer after speaking with him on the phone. Him and I agreed that it's better to bring the car in for better control. The mobile service doesn't seem as quality. I felt comfortable. The weird thing is that he put in a Toyota windshield. So far so good. The windshield looks exactly like the one replaced. And Shari, I don't have any speaker sounds in my 03 SR5.
  • rscotts1rscotts1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, new to this forum and had a few questions that alot of you may be able to help me answer. First off getting ready to dump the 02 Explorer. It has been in the shop 13 times for numerous problems and the thing rides like c**p!! I have been reading numerous post's on problems encountered with the 2001 thru 2004 Sequoia's and although the problems seem similar, i.e., brakes, sunroof rattle, driveline clunk, etc., I am convinced that the Sequoia is a nicely built vehicle and am sure the majority of owners have had no real problems. I will be test driving one of the new 2005 SR5 models in a couple of weeks and need some advice: What exactly should I be checking for in regards to previous problems? Have most if not all of the problems addressed been corrected? This is a list so far of things I intend to look out for during the test drive:

1. Drive it in a circle at a slow speed and listen for any noises from the front end (tire rubbing noise).
    2. Listen for any clunking driveline noises while coming to a stop.
    3. Listen for rattles from dash, doors etc
    4. Excessively loud engine/tappet noises.
    5. Listen for rattling from any of the windows.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks again.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    Most, if not all of the problems noted by Sequoia drivers were not self evident. A test drive would not identify the problems but they developed over time. Some of the things you noted in your lest are excellent conditions for a test drive, but the excessive brake wear, soft plastic pieces, clunking noises, etc. I think will appear over time (if at all).

Best of luck, this is the best vehicle I have ever owned, 2001 limited.
  • toy2004toy2004 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 in July. We have really enjoyed it. The pick up is great and the ride is comfortable. We did notice, however, a few things that Toyota needs to improve on.

1. vehicle should have memory seats for cloth seats for SR-5 model as well as Limited.
    2. Vehicle should have standard automatic light control system for SR-5. After all, this should not be difficult, our 1995 Jeep cherokee had this standard feature.
    3. When you leave the headlights on, would it be too hard to have the dinging sound (just in case we don't lock the doors to automatically shut off headlights)
    4. Clock too low on dash.
    5. Hard to see wiper fluid low level on dashboard.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    The 05's have memory seats. Your truck does have auto lights. If you leave them on they will turn off automatically. Clock is low, I agree. The wiper low light doesn't cmon if you keep it full, hehe.
    Wow I did not even know it had a low wiper fluid light! And I've had my truck since '01.

I do hate the toyota wiper blade refills. Those weird metal strips??? I have since changed to an easier replacement brand.
  • chimemakerchimemaker Member Posts: 11
    I wish I had better news for you, BUT, my 2003 Sequoia SR5 2WD is equipped with Bridgestone Dueller Tires, on the 17" Factory Alloy Wheels. IT HAS VIBRATION AND DOESN'T RIDE SMOOTH EITHER!
    They were replaced at my insistance at 15,000 miles by the Bridgestone Dealer, and the new ones are NOT ANY BETTER. I am sorry to hear that the Dunlops are not any better than Bridgestone.
    I too, rode in several other Sequoias and they all had tire/wheel vibration. Maybe Michelin makes better tires? Anyone got them on a Sequoia?
    My 2003 Sequoia SR5 2WD was equipped new with 17" Factory Alloy Wheels. The finish is wearing thru, and the dark primer underneath is showing up in the valleys of the rims on all 4 wheels.
    NO Harsh cleaners have ever been used on them.
    Anyone have info/ideas on this?
  • raymurraymur Member Posts: 29
    Install the Michelin LTX M+S and your troubles be will a distant memory.
    I would buy it again in a heartbeat! We have the 2003 SR5 2WD Loaded w/options, incl.Dual Climate Control Air (needed out here in the AZ. desert),
    We have had NO major problems at all! Fog light bulbs burned out, Bridgestone Tires stink, (get Michelin LTX instead of Dunlops or Bridgestones)Had Bridgestone replace them at 15,00 miles and it didn't make a difference, they still vibrate and have to be rebalanced every 10,00 miles. Plastics are a bit easy to scratch, but we use a good u/v protectant/cleaner like 2001 or Meguires
    We Get 12MPG Towing a cargo trailer, and 18 HWY.
    GREAT SUV, Does all it's supposed to, very well.
  • pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Sequoia SR5 2WD with 30,000 miles. I can be stopped on a flat surface waiting to pull out in traffic and it acts like it wants to go dead. I have been having this problem for at least the last 10,000 0 15,000 miles and have taken it in to the dealer. They of course test drive it and they say can't find a problem. One service technician did tell me that this "lagging" was common in the Sequoias. Does anyone know if this is true. I am afraid to pull out in traffic because I am afraid it will die right in the middle of the highway.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I have the Dunlops on mine and haven't had any problemsso far...maybe I'm just lucky.
    I have a 2001 with 97k miles on it, it never acts like it wants to go dead. I'm confused though, your post says you are sitting there idling, but your title says it's when turning, which is it? If it's when on a turn, that's the traction control kicking in because you are spinning a tire.
    The only time this happens is when I am going (turning) over a loose surface, or turning out of a parking lot and the rear tire goes over the curb not the driveway. A slight hesitation then it will go. It is a little frustrating espically when you just go over a curb.

If it did it all the time I would be back to the dealer. Next time have the repair person drive a new seq and see if it has the same "hesitation". I think not! mine is a '01 2wd with 80K miles.
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    my armada does the same too when I make a right or left turn going uphill or downhill but when I turn off my VDC ( VSC on ur Sequioa ) switch, it don't happen except that u hear ur tires slipping.
  • mstacy1mstacy1 Member Posts: 9
    My 2001 came with Dunlop Grad Trek and they were horrible tires. Barely got 30K miles on them. I have since used Cooper H/T for Suv and have gotten great mileage and good quiet ride
  • mstacy1mstacy1 Member Posts: 9
    I love my 2001. I have used synthetic oil since know and I have been avg 16.5 to 17 mpg in combined driving, I have even hit 20mpg on the highway driving condervative 65mph
    I did open a "file" with Toyota about the finish deterioration on the Factory Alloy Wheels on our '03 Sequoia. They asked me to take it to my service dealer for an inspection, which I did this morning. Even Though I am 10,000 miles out of warranty, all 4 wheels are scheduled to be re finished, at Toyota's Expense! The dealer will remove, remount and rebalance the tires, and we will have a Corolla for a loaner till it's done.
    Of Course Toyota says this NEVER has happened to anyone before. o;) No matter, I'm a happy camper.
  • jeffs5jeffs5 Member Posts: 5
    Just joined, as I have read through many of the problems with your sequoias, I recently bought a 2001 Sequoia SR5 with 29,000 miles on it. Well a 15 minute test drive is tough to determine whether or not you will like it down the road. Anyway, I have come to hear that the Sunroof squeaks like crazy, I have had it in the dealership where purchased 3 times and they can not fix it. It squeaks both open and closed on the right side as you are in the truck. The dealership has tried to tighten all screws, duh! and lubricate the track. Has anyone had or experienced this problem and what have you done about it? Is it fixed?
    Search through the Sequoia problems and solutions board, I remember seeing others with this problem and they figured out what caused it.
    That's the traction control doing it's job, it notices one tire spinning faster than the other and thinks you are giving it too much throttle. I've since disabled both VSC and Trac on my 4wd Sequoia and will reenable it only when I expect to be driving in bad snow or ice.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Have your dealer look at TSB NV006-04 titled MOON ROOF (SLIDING ROOF) CREAK NOISE
  • pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I forgot to change the title. It is when you are sitting there idling and then accelerate is when it wants to die. They have even adjusted the accelerator cable and that hasn't helped. Do you think it could be a clog in the fuel line?
    VSC sensitivity is a very common problem with the 2001 Sequoia's, but not the 2002+. Many 2001 owners had their VSC computers replaced with 2002 comp. to fix them. Since this is a 2002, the mechanic should start with a VSC recalibration then replace the computer if the recal. doesn't work. Any lights come on? Also, make sure your brake fluid is topped off (seriously) and check that the sensor connector on the side of the master cylinder is snug. image
  • mark1mark1 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone out there have any real-world experience with using synthetics in the Sequoia? Dealer says that Toyota recommends against; reason being that the synthetics are so slippery that they may get past the rings and burn oil. Comments?
    Toyota recommends against!?!?!? What a riot! After engine break-in has occurred (maybe 5,000 miles), it should do great! Heck I'm running Mobil 1 in the engine, ATF and in the rear differential. You might find viable arguments that synthetic might be a waste of money, but BAD!?!?!? Absolutely, no way!
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    I recently had the brake TSB done on my early in the 2002 year LTD. The upgrade involves larger disks and calipers up front. When I got it back it did exactly what you are describing. When you start from a start you move forward, the gas is cut, and comes back on with a lurch. It took the dealer several days to figure out what was wrong but it turned out to be one of the wheel speed sensors. Apparently it had been damaged and showed one of the wheels was turning faster then the others, the VSC light would come on, and then the throttle was cut. When driving during the day in bright light it can be difficult to see the VSC light flashing on the dash, but in subdued light or at night it is easily seen. If the VSC light is coming on inappropriately, have them check the wheel speed sensors.
    Certainly could be, here's some other possibilities:
    bad gas, run it almost empty, fill up with premium at a different station and throw in some fuel injector cleaner
    plugged fuel filter
    clogged air filter
    fouled plugs, have them changed if the above doesn't help.
    If that brake fluid sensor was loose it'd disable VSC and Trac completely. Disconnecting that sensor is exactly what I use to disable those features since toyota didn't give us a proper way to do it.
    That's nonsense, I'd switch dealers ASAP.
  • 3gr8boys3gr8boys Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 that I got in August. I have been experiencing the same problem. Happened again this paast weekend when I had been stopped at a light, wasn't even turning. Slip indicator light flashes on. Have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow AM, will update after that.
  • gasoelgasoel Member Posts: 1
    03 Sequoia Ltd. This clicking noise when I take off from a stop is driving me nuts. It almost sounds as if it is coming from the drivers seat area near the seat adjustments. Somthing is activating (click click). What is it?? I keep thinking this is going to be a fun one to tell the dealer.