Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mconra129mconra129 Member Posts: 6
    I am a Sequoia LTD owner, and I can tell you that 52k or 54k (out the door) for a LTD sounds ridiculous. That's just me, but keep in mind that Sequoias aren't moving like other models. Case in point, Toyota never released a 2009 model (only 2008 and 2010 were released). These dealers must be trying to hose you w/ a cost of 50k plus. Try contacting the "Internet Manager" or the fleet manager directly, and avoid the floors sales reps at all costs. You could also try contacting a more senior sales manager directly, as they may be more interested in moving inventory and getting the factory incentives rather than risk losing a sale and paying out a commission to a floor rep. Here's I how worked this...My technique was to email the Internet or sales mgr's directly -- don't use the Edmunds email form tool, as they do not take that as a serious offer to buy, so send a personal email -- and I told them that I was ready to buy immediately and wanted a LTD in color X for price $Y. Then the calls came flooding in. That put me in a really good spot to negotiate and play off of the various offers. Long story short, I got them below invoice by over $1K. So this strategy is at least worth a try!

As for warranties, I'm sure there's a totally separate thread for this topic, while this is a personal decision, the odds are stacked in favor of the house (i.e. the dealer/factory). These contracts are very expensive, and one of the biggest profit centers for a dealer. They look even more expensive when you factor in the time value of money or opportunity costs here. You're essentially paying now for something that MAY provide some benefit more than 3 years from now. It is not comparable to something like life insurance (as previous post alluded) in terms of the cost v. benefit. Even reputable 3rd parties like Consumer Reports advise against these. Remember, you're buying a Toyota, which generally has a good rep for long term quality, not a VW Jetta or some other lemon. FYI, I have 2 other Toyotas with over 120K miles each and they're still going!

And regarding magesh's question above about why dealers don't offer the extended warranty only after the factory warranty expires instead of upfront like they typically do at point of sale, there is a good reason for that. Simply, a customer is more likely to make an impulse purchase upfront when bundled with something else. This is textbook consumer behavior. You're less likely to make that warranty purchase once you walk out the door. Also, if they only offered the warranty after the factory one expired, the company would be subject to adverse selection (i.e. mostly people who need the warranty [due to repair-prone car, etc] would buy at that time), which would drive up the costs to everyone.

Paint protection? Really? :confuse:

Just trying to help. I have a lot of experience negotiating with these folks over the years, so I hope some of this is helpful and keeps more money in your pocket as opposed to their's.
  • 774774 Member Posts: 101
    I have seen a couple of posts of people buying a Sequoia $1,000 or more below invoice. This price is without any dealer cash incentive.
    Using overstocked.com price on a 4x4 Platinum lists retail for 60,355 invoice is
    $55,381and true cost $53,745. List price $55,381 minus $1000 =$54,381

$54,381 minus true cost 53,745 =$ 636.0 or profit made on the deal for Toyota
    and the dealership.

Congratulations to anyone who can negoiate a deal this good.
  • damos516damos516 Member Posts: 13
    Mconra129: I've done some research and have found that the factory invoice for a LTD Sequoia is $46,677. Once you factor in Destination and Advertising ($950+$959=$1909) your at $48,586. And then there's 6% sales tax. I'm thinking $51,500 OUT THE DOOR is a good deal. This would be the first new car that I buy so I haven't had much experience with this negotiation process. The MSRP on the vehicle is $52,625. That's the current deal I have on the table for a "standard" Limited Sequoia; no extra options. In fact, I've had to special order my vehicle of choice because Toyota is now build ALL LIMITEDs with Navigation and I don't want the Toyota Navigation System. Additionally, the deal includes the RED ROCK interior which is not an option for the LIMITED but the Dealership believes they can get toyota to build it. Again, do you think $51,500 is a good deal out the door? If not, given the numbers I've provided, what do you or anyone else out there believe would be a good price to pay for the aforementioned vehicle. It will be another 4-6 weeks before the vehicle arrives and my $500 deposit is FULLY REFUNDABLE. Thoughts?
    I just special ordered a 2010 LTD Silver Sky Metallic with Red Rock interior. My OUT THE DOOR PRICE is $51,500. I "believe" that is a good deal considering the factory invoice was 46,677, and that is what I paid prior to adding 6% sales tax, $950 for Destination and $959 Advertising. I'm still waiting on final approval from Toyota as to if they are going to build the vehicle since RED ROCK is a higher end leather and I don't want the navigation which is being added into every 2010 Sequoia for $1500. According to the Gen. Mgr, subtracting the Nav is not a problem but adding the RED ROCK may be more challenging. However, they believe they can get TOYOTA to make the modifications. If the build is approved I could have my Sequoia by Mid March. Cross your fingers!
  • jose263jose263 Member Posts: 10
    Hi - I thought I got a very good deal buying a 2010 LTD for factory invoice in Dec.
    So, how much value has been lost with the quality/safety issues- seems like anyone wanting a new Toy should be able to buy very low??
    I ordered my Sequoia SR5 4x4 back in Oct and paid $730 over invoice .The price has been going down since the order was placed. Timing is everything and you bought at the right time. You got a great deal and the price you paid is what Over stocked .com lists for a limited today.

I suspect the quality/ safety issue may bring the price down even more depending opon the amount of unsold inventories for this model. The inventories for this model were low before the last round of recalls so only time will tell how this affects the inventory level.

Do you have any second thoughts about buying the vehicle due to the recent recall on this model ?
    damos156,

That's not too bad out the door, though not great (just my opinion though). Granted, I bough my Sequoia LTD just over a year ago, but that said, given all of the "issues" Toyota is having lately, I'd think they'd be awfully hungry to make deals. Nobody is buying Toyotas.

I was able to buy my LTD for $1000 below invoice period. The only "extras" I paid was a doc/DMV fee at the dealer (which was maybe around 200 bucks?) - plus sales tax -- that was it.

If your current dealership won't move, then you can always try another (assuming you live in a major metro area).

Also, the red rock interior is pretty cool, so if you're mind is set on that and they're able to get it for you, then don't let me get in the way of your happiness.

Lastly, have you tried speaking to the "Internet Manager" at a competing dealership? You could tell him/her that you're ready to buy now and will buy from him/her TODAY if he can give you the truck for $XX.
    Thanks for the insight. The dealership just informed me that Toyota rejected my special order request because of the Red Rock. They resubmitted the request today and believe they will have feedback by sometime next week. I did think about going to other dealerships again, but in all honesty, I'm a little tired of this process. However, I may take your advice and try to speak with the internet/fleet manager and see if I can get a better deal. My only concern with going to another dealership is the the fact that I won't receive the following benefits:
    Free Lifetime"
    Free Oil changes for life
    Guaranteed engine for life
    Free 24 hour roadside assistance within 50 miles of the dealership for life
    Free pickup and delivery of my vehicle with a scheduled appointment for life (pickup and delivery must be within 50 miles of the dealership)
    Free loaner vehicle for life whenever I have a scheduled service
    10% of all service and accessories get store away and credited toward my next vehicle (up to $2500 can be used toward my next vehicle)
    Parts and service guaranteed for life
    and a couple of other smalll items. You just don't get these types of benefits from every dealership. However, this family of dealerships gives all this stuff free of charge as part of the sale. If Toyota rejects it again, I'll more than likely wait until March 1st to get a 2010 Limited off the lot. Hopefully, they'll have some incentives in place starting in March. We'll see!!!

I do have a question for you. You stated you were able to get you LTD for $1000 below invoice plus Tax. If you don't mind, what was invoice or what price did you pay prior to TTL? Please fill me in. Perhaps I can be a bit more agressive in getting my price decreased especially with all the quality issues.
    Damos - I found it much less hassle dealing with the internet/fleet mgr - I didn't meet him til we drove 50 miles to pickup the vehicle -everything was email - local dealership wouldn't match their offer. My deal was invoice price - if you can do better great. Of course invoice already has holdback and other added costs that guarantee a profit. I suspect a hungry dealership can shave off the invoice price. below is a list of the items...

Mfg Base Price: 
    Total Factory Installed Options: 
    Total Locally Installed Options: 
    Delivery/Processing/Handling: 
    T.M.F.:
    T.A.F.:
    Base Vehicle Holdback: 
    PIO Holdback: 
    Dealer Added Options: 
    Fleet Price Protection: 
    1% Financial Reserve MSRP: 
    Fleet Credit: 
    Pricing Totals: 
  • pfessorpfessor Member Posts: 7
    Toyota Is Said to Discuss Rebates, Warranties to Lure Customers.
    I found this today on Bloomburg.com.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aM5z4iMAT.oY
    The article stated something like, "Ideas being considered include warranties of as long as 10 years and rebates of thousands of dollars per vehicle that would start in March, said three executives from retailer groups with Toyota franchises. They declined to be identified because the discussions are private."
    Thanks for the information. This may work out well for me. Toyota rejected my special order twice. At least, that's what the dealer is telling me. I advised the dealer that I'll take the vehicle with Graphite but with a price reduction. They dropped the price by another $500 which puts me at a few hundred below invoice. My vehicle won't be in until mid to late March. Hopefully, the incentives will be in place by then which would allow me to take advantage of them. Again, thanks for the information.
    I just negotiated a price of $51,200 ON THE ROAD for a 2010 Limited Sequoia. Basically, that's about $500 below factory invoice when you break down the overall pricing. My vehicle won't be here until mid to late march because I've requested the following with regard to my Sequoia:
    It must come from the factory with the NEW version of the accelerator.
    It must NOT have the Navigation system included (All new Limited Sequoias are being built with Navigation and I don't particularly care for those navigation systems. My portable unit works just fine and I get lifetime traffic information for free just like the toyota unit. Also, the only thing you lose when removing the the Toyota navigation system is Navigation and Backup camera. However, the limited still comes with a Backup Camera as part of your Rearview mirror; it just smaller than the 7" Navigation screen. For a savings of $1250+ and portability of my current nav system, I can deal with a smaller screen.
  • th3rdsonth3rdson Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Add a child ... add a SUV. We already have an Acadia and like it very much. We now have 3 little ones so I must part with my G35 and pick up another family hauler. My wife will argue it with me but it is between the Sequoia and Armada. With an email I got the following price: 2010 Sequoia limited with an MSRP $53,710.00 for $50,504.00 plus TTL. Since I didn't ask for the invoice $, I am curious as to yours for a comparison.

On the flip side I can get a new 2010 Armada Platinum for ~$42,500. This includes Nissan cash and a supplier discount. I like the Sequoia better for a lot of reasons ... but not 8,000 reasons. I do hope Toyota gets in the game with cash incentives.

I'll keep you posted as to what we decide.
    damos516,

I believe invoice on my LTD was just over $46K. Again, no Nav on this truck, but had a couple extras like the automatic tailgate (can open/close from remote), factory-installed remote start (not after-mkt or dealer-installed), and upgraded all-weather floor mats (the heavy duty rubber ones you can hose down).

BTW, I'm in NY metro area if that helps. Not sure how deals vary by region.

Lastly, when I bought, I got a $3K factory cash-back incentive (in addition to the discount to invoice). Pretty sweet. I think my total cost out the door, net of rebate and including tax was just over $46k.
    According to Reuters News on Sunday 2-14-10:

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) is considering increased incentives and an extended warranty program to combat consumer concerns about a deepening product safety crisis, a source briefed on still-developing plans said on Sunday.

Toyota, reeling from its largest recall in history, is discussing a range of options with its U.S. dealers to support sales, including $1,000 in addition to the current $1,000 in cash incentives to returning Toyota customers, the source told Reuters.

Toyota's current $1,000 in "loyalty" bonus matches incentives offered by General Motors Co (GM.UL), Ford Motor Co (F.N), Chrysler and Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS) to lure Toyota customers.

Other options Toyota is considering include a free maintenance program -- such as oil changes and regular mile services -- and a new warranty program that at least matches Hyundai's market-leading 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the source said.

Complete article is here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100214/bs_nm/us_toyota_incentive_1
  • jryajrya Member Posts: 3
    I want a new SR5 Sequoia. I can't imagine Toyota is not offering 5yr-0%, or at least a 3k rebate at this point. Every day they die a bit more. I am one of the folks
    who has a 2006 Avalon Limited. No problems at all, hell I haven't even scheduled the recall yet. Today I hear the rental car market is pulling the plug on toyota and the resale market is being irrepairably damaged.....They have a loyal customer here, but a GMC denali with all the deals is getting hard to turn down..What are they thinking....I've been waiting for 4 months for something....the last plan, 3-36 at 0% didn't cut it for me............
    edited February 2010
    I completely hear you on all points. As you've probably seen from my previous posts, I've special ordered a Limited Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia knowing it would be sometime in March when it comes in. I figured by March there would be some type of incentives to make my deal even better. If Toyota is too stubborn and conceited to give some type of cash incentive on the Sequoia, I'll consider getting my $500 deposit back and holding off on taking delivery on my special order. I'm with you, Toyota doesn't really have any recourse but to put some type of incentive out there. Toward the end of 2008 they were giving 3000 or 3500 cash back on the 2008 models. Given all the problems, they should be doing something like that or better.
  • jryajrya Member Posts: 3
    If the news today is true, and they hid the recall and bragged about saving 100 mill on recalls....its lights out for toyota. The family members of the people hurt or even killed due to the accelerator problems...will own toyota... Bad business, immoral business, unethical business, deadly business.....
    Irya,

I see where you're coming from but I don't think Toyota was actually bragging in the memo. Call me gullable... They may have discussed this by way of the "memo" to include commenting on the savings. To a large extent, I believe they put quantity over quality but I have to question how many of these reported incidents are Toyota's fault and how many are hoaxes. Believe me, I'm concerned but I'm trying to way all sides of the equation before dismissing Toyota altogether. I've been looking at the Sequoia for about 5 years and finally pulled the trigger on making a deal a few weeks ago. I've since then questioned whether I should move forward with my purchase because my KIDS are my prize possesions and I don't want to put them at risk.

We've heard of Braking, Steering and Acceleration Issues with regard to the recent toyota recalls. These are the highest priority aspects of DRIVING. The question is, how valid are these concerns. At the same time, is the American government biased against Toyota because the government has stock in the American Auto Manufacturers. Think about it, the more our Government can get Toyota owners to turn against Toyota, the more likely a person is to buy AMERICAN. Think about the extra discounts Toyota Owners are getting when if they BUY AMERICAN. Ultimately, Toyota does appear to have delayed dealing with "reported issues". I believe this was done in the name of GREED from the perspective of "BEING #1" but not from the perspective of "NOT CARING". Toyota will undoubtedly suffer from this. My intent is to capitalize of the situation. More Specifically, I intend to monitor its stock pricing. Once it appears to stabilize at a lower number, I will purchase a bit of it and let it sit for a few years because TOYOTA will undoubtably be back and its stock will get back to above 100 per share. I'm hoping it continues to drop so I can move into a position to buy.
    Back to the topic at hand. I'm still considering a Sequoia because the other vehicles out there in the same price range don't really impress me. Case an point, I believe you mentioned the Denali in a previous posting. That triggered me to go take a look at the Denali. It's price point is a bit higher than the Sequoia but it was still worth a look. I went to the dealership and it took me to flag a salesman down after 15 minutes of being there before they even noticed me. Then the salesman who did come over seemed not to interested in showing me the vehicle and didn't seem to care whether I wanted the short or long version. He grabbed the keys for the Denali XL. It definitely looks nice. However, when I pressed the but to "Power fold" the 2nd row passenger seat, it didn't work. The back of the seat folded down but the bottom didn't flip up as designed. While not a breaking, steering or acceleration issue, its a brand new vehicle on the lot with a noticeable issue. THis was NOT a showroom vehicle that may have gotten abused either. This was completely NEW. Anyway, I left with a not so good taste in my mouth. I didn't even get a chance to test drive it. Again, it didn't seem like the salesman was too enthusiastic about showing it to me. I may go back just to give it a test drive but again, the power seat bothers me because it begs the question "How much will fixing it cost if it breaks after expiration of the warranty?
  • chris217chris217 Member Posts: 3
    Wanted some feedback on the price of a demo. Traditionally I've avoided demo's since you don't know how they've been treated. But given the pricing I'm thinking about it.

I've been looking at fully loaded used 2008 Platinum CPO's and range seems to be between $47K - $52K. A dealer has a 2010 Demo Platinum with a CPO for $49.9K. But it does have 24K miles on it. Claims the GM's wife drove it back and forth between cities as a commuter car.

I won't pay $49.9K, but if the price got into the $46-$48 range I'm might think about it. What's the difference between a used 2008 with 24K miles vs. a demo 2010 with 24K miles? Seems like if the price is close the 2010 is maybe a better deal because you have 2 more years on the 7yr/100,000miles CPO warranty.

Thoughts?
    I'd go with the 2010 demo even if it is a few hundred to a thousand more. As you stated, you have more warranty time left. With regard to the price, are you talking about an ON THE ROAD PRICE or is that the price you are looking for before taxes, tags, etc.? Given the fact that Toyota's reputation is suffering and the "resale values" are going down, you should be able to confidently go into the dealership and tell them what you are GOING TO PAY for the car (On the road price). They have the choice to either take it or leave it. You just have to be willing to walk away if you don't get the price you're looking for. You should give them your absolute price so you don't have to worry about negotiating. If they try to up the price you should get them to throw in something of value to you if possible... perhaps 10 oil changes or something... with synthetic oil.
  • chris217chris217 Member Posts: 3
    I should amend my initial post. Technically because of the milage on the car (24k) it is now considered "used" but it was a demo and was never titled so the full warranty would be in effect.

The internet price is $49.9K before taxes/tag, etc. No idea how low they would be willing to go given there are used 2008 models with the same mileage going for $48K+.

Might give it a day or two and then go back with a firm offer. Agree that I want to give them my absolute price and not get into a haggling situation. I have no problem walking away. There is always another car around the next corner.
  • th3rdsonth3rdson Member Posts: 3
    Dear Mr. Toyoda,

You win. My patience has expired and necessity dictates that I purchase a new car now. I had high hopes that a tarnished brand and declining sales would result in cash incentives but they have not ... Instead I see you have opted to spend your money on slick advertising campaigns designed to tug at the heart strings of America. And while I understand that some American jobs depend on Toyota sales, I also understand that American safety depends upon a quality product. So while past consumer loyalty may have made you the #1 car brand in America, your arrogance will take it away.

Best of Luck,
    Joe Public

PS: Mr. Nissan wanted me to personally thank you. I'll be driving home in his Armada on Friday and I couldn't be happier.
  • aasbaasb Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out if I am being quoted a good price for a 2010 Sequoia Limited Demo. I am being quoted $47,900. The demo is in excellent condition, has 6k miles on it, and includes the rear entertainment system, navigation, wheel locks, and remote start. This is before tax/tags etc. I am located in NJ. ( I was previously quoted $47,999 on a 2010 Sequoia Platinum Demo with 12k from the same dealership. The Platinum sold to another customer and is no longer in play.) Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I love the Sequoia and want to make sure we are getting a fair deal. Thanks!
  • mynewdenalimynewdenali Member Posts: 1
    Well, fyi, I was looking at a Limited over the weekend...loaded out MSRP was 56000. I went in, offered 48500 expecting they would counter offer..or just laugh me out of the dealership....but before I could take a breath they said, "ok, we can do that". Food for thought...on another note, directed to Mr. Toyoda....I am very pleased with my 2010 Denali...yes, you suckered me into your elaborate dealership with 0.0% for 60 plastered all over the windshield of a 2010 Sequoia...pen and check in hand...I was going to sign the papers and drive off into the sunset....apparently, this was a mistake on the 16 year old working at the dealership....fooled me. Come to find out, you place a picture of the sequoia right by all your 0% financing adds. That's ok though..my 2010 Denali will suit me just right. US Govt 1.....Japanese 0
    aasb- I bought a ltd in December- needed to buy last year for tax reasons - looks like dealers should be much more flexible now - I'm guessing they will come off the 47.9 - isn't it a used auto now? there is lots of advice on comparing prices on previous posts - my 2cents - if you really still want a ltd find a fleet or internet manager and skip the floor salesperson.

mynew - We moved from a Yukon to Seq last Dec - we would probably be in a new Yukon if they had automatic rear seats - getting too old to lug those things in and out and I wasn't impressed with the Ford alternative.
  • ironbearironbear Member Posts: 2
    Another month is coming to a close and no Sequoia incentives... Has anyone heard rumblings about whether the Sequoia will be getting any incentives when the current Toyota deals end on April 5th?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I would like to know the same as well. Toyota's gotta do something better than what they are doing now!!!
  • kerbearkerbear Member Posts: 4
    2010 Sequoia platinum 4X4 for $54583 plus tax tag title and 100 processing fee Is this a good deal???
  • treedrivertreedriver Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I just bought a 2010 Sequoia platinum on April 30th. It stickered for $61360 and I got it for $55600. I was willing to drive up to 500 miles to find a good deal but this was the best I could find. The other dealers were only willing to come off the sticker about $3000.

On a side note I love this SUV. With the air ride system this thing rides great and turns on a dime, although it is a little thirsty. I'm using this Sequoia to replace my beloved 2003 Chevy Avalanche which was the best truck I've ever owned. It had 172000 miles on it and I plan on putting over 200 K on this new Sequoia as my mobile office.
  • jlewistxjlewistx Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased Silver Sky Metallic 5.7L. Interesting experience here in TX. I am not sure why, but basic SR-5's are very rare in the SE region, and the 5.7's are almost non existent. Paid $39000 even through USAA car buying service. Had to fly from Houston to San Antonio to get a deal, but that worked out fine.
    I was dealing with Fred Haas and ended up really disappointed. It was the classic "I brought my car in for service but let me go talk to the sales guy while I am waiting" mistake. Ended up with a "deal" on a 4.6L SR5 for ,$39,600 that they were going to have to trade from another dealership. And they offered me $15.5K on my Tundra that I had an offer for $17K on from car max. While we were sitting there as the sales guy did the standard 45 minute intervals at the manager stand, I started my internet search. I even had their own internet sales dept quote the same vehicle and for almost $1000 less. They still would not budge. On the other hand, my deal in San Antonio consisted of 3 emails back and forth , 2 phone calls and about 45 minutes in the fleet managers office. The fleet manager even offered to pick me up at the airport when I arrived in San Antonio. So my lessons learned are, start with USAA and look further away from home.
    I had to buy outside the five state area controled buy Southeast Toyota to get the 5.7 liter (non flex fuel engine) in a 4WD SR5 model. The vehicle had to be special ordered as the color pyrite mica is hard to find in the SR 5.

I gave the dealer a $500 .00 deposit with a signed contract on the agreed to price to special order the vehicle. The price paid was $730 .00 over invoice which was obtained using overstocked.com cars. I had two New Jersey dealers competing for the sale offering the same deal

The price from the New Jersey dealer was 556.00 dollars less and I sold my 2001 Sequoia privately for $1300.00 more than what was offered by the Fla dealer.

I flew up to New Jersey for $130.00 and was picked up by my brother in law. We drove to the dealership picked up the vehicle. Everything went smooth and I was able to visit with relatives over the weekend driving home a couple days later.

I really like the vehicle and enjoyed the drive back to Fla
  • inquiry12inquiry12 Member Posts: 3
    hi, i have been waiting for better pricing also on a sequoia...sr5; steves home town toyota is advertising new 2010 sequoia sr5 list at 43,229 at 37971....ad includes the following: sr5 package, 5.7 l v8, 3rd row seating; nicely equipped stk # 5697.
    Price out the Sequoia you want on True car .com and overstocked .com cars . The price has come down a little since I ordered mine back in Oct 2009. The vehicle was not built until Jan 2010 but I got the vehicle exactly as ordered.

No regrets I would do it all over again the vehicle has been perfect a real joy to drive. This is my second Sequoia so I knew what to expect as the first one was fantastic and problem free. This one rides better and handles better than my first Sequoia. Great vehicle
  • c550c550 Member Posts: 3
    I had a very similar experience at Fred Haas. I ended up going elsewhere. I was wondering if you could tell me what dealer in SA as I might liker to send them an email?

Thanks.
    I bought at Cavender Toyota in San Antonio. Because I went through USAA worked exclusively with the fleet sales team.
  • farmer20farmer20 Member Posts: 16
    While there are many detailed purchasing price in Highland, I did not see many here in Sequoia section. I plan to buy a 2010 Sequoia SR5 base model with MSRP as $40,500 to $41,500 in Houston this month. Hate to spend several hours to negotiate, hope to have a quick experience. I would greatly appreciate if any friend here is willing to post his/her purchasing information of MSRP and Out of door price. I do not want to annoy the sale person by asking unreasonable discount, on the other I hope to get a good deal since it is almost end of month and Toyota National Clearance Event is on now.

My question is:

Is it reasonable to ask $4000 discount out of $41,000 MSRP? that is about 10% discount. No financing from the dealer.

My wife purchased a Benz E350 at the end of June and the negotiation took less than 30 min because I printed out the purchasing price information from Benz message board and it really helped. When I gave the print-out to the sale person, we quickly set the discount as $5000 out of MSRP $55,900, which was in the middle ground of $4000 - $6000 discount posted. I hope to have a same experience to buy Sequoia
    I paid 39k for my 5.7 sr5 with sport package. I priced 4.6 sr5 at about 38k. Not a lot of deep discounts right now. Use one of the zagg tools from consumer reports , usaa, overstock once you find a specific one you want and that will put you in range. Whatever you do, deal with their Internet people. Dealing with Toyota sales people as a walk in is an exercise in futility. I really liked my experience with Cavender in San Antonio. Sequoias are a little scarce right now, so if you have particular features you want broaden your search outside houston. A one way ticket to Dallas ,Austin, or San Antonio is cheap, and you could save quite a bit. If you want the rep at Cavender I dealt with let me know.
    I just picked up an SR5. it stickered at 41,700 and I got it at 37,500. I don't know if they would have gone much lower, but based on true car and other internet pricing I think I did well. I would second the coment on using the internet sales guy as you would never get a floor salesman to give you this deal. Most of the internet pricing seems to indicate about 3000 to 3500 off of sticker as a reference.
    Thanks, jlewistx and c550 for the reply and information.

c550: you got almost $4000 discount off the stick price, so ask 10% discount is not unreasonable.

It is surprising that people travel to other cities to get the deal. With children around, it is even hard for me to go to a local dealer. I have not visited any dealer yet. Friend has one and it drives and rides good. Will see a dealer soon.

Again thank you both for your responses.
    Hi, c550:

Forgot one thing, do you mind telling which dealership you bought your car?

Thanks
    I got it at Gullo Toyota. I dealt with the salesman who does fleet sales and USAA sales. He was very good to work with, I would recomend him.
    Hi, c550:

Thanks for the post. In fact went to a local dealer and took the print out of posts here with me. To my surprise, this time the print-out did not work at all. They only gave $1800 discount. When I showed the sale person your post, he said you bought 2009 year model. Left without agrument. Clearly told the sale person I would not come if there was no $4000 discount.

Would you please give me the contact information of your sale person to me: yu101us at yahoo.com?
    I will certainly contact the sale person for information.

I am not in despair to buy a car now, but would buy if there is a good discount. You really had a great deal.

Thanks
    Whatever dealership you went to, never go back. They did not really make a 2009 sequoia. There might have been a few that hit the streets, but Toyota really scaled back when the economy tanked. To sanity check the 2009 sequoia issue, do a national search for a used 2009 and see what you come up with. I neglected to post this on my Original post but sticker on the one I bought was 41,600. I got less of a discount on mine due to the scarcity of the 5.7 engine with the sr5 package. Toyota had the upper hand on the supply/demand on my deal. I think if you hold out a bit, you can get a good deal. Are you looking for a 5.7 or 4.6? Also, the dealer I worked with said he has delivered to Houston on occasion.
    Thanks, jlewistx.

In fact I am not in a hurry to buy the car and can wait until the end of the year. SR5 4.6 will be fine. I went over your post and also checked website of Cavender Toyota at San Antonia. Did not find the color my children like (black). Without Incentive or rebate, I think most dealers would only give around $2000 discount for a SR5 basic model. So probably the best time is to wait until Toyota has incentive or rebate.
    Good luck on the incentive or rebate.
    I've been waiting for a year for some kind of break. Nothing so far has been offered on the Sequoias but the Tundra is being pushed in our area (NC) with low or no interest.
  • david2613david2613 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a 2010 Sequoia, just test drove a base model with leather interior sr5 and large v8. they gave me a price at 42k. I am looking for a base around 36k. Is this achievable? Let me know how to find the best deal at internet sale dept. thanks
  • nyatinyati Member Posts: 1
    Just paid $37,800 for a 2wd SR5 with 5.7l and carpeted floor mats. I was very happy with the price since my dealer had to have it shipped from Fl to North Augusta, SC (had to have white with gray cloth). I also got full Kelley Blue Book trade in value on my old car.
  • davemattbdavemattb Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up our 2011 4x4 sr5 from Right Toyota in Scottsdale, AZ for $500 over invoice. It was about 41,600 (not including TTL) and they included the floormats and paid for delivery from a dealer about 2 hours away. I could have got the vehicle for 500 under invoice at another dealer, but I got more for my trade-in and the whole transaction took about 30 minutes. 2 years free maintenance was an added bonus.
  • seq_4rseq_4r Member Posts: 1
    When you mentioned invoice, did you mean the base invoice (w/o holdback, destination charge, ads. fee), or invoice with any/all of those? I'm a newbie here, and a little confused with the term. Thanks.