Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2007 and earlier

cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
edited April 2014 in Mitsubishi
I saw this sedan at the 2001 New York auto show and I really liked it. Seemed like a very competent compact car; a little different from the typical Civic and Corolla. I guess it's slated to replace the Mirage...?

I've sent away for a Lancer brochure from Mitsubishi but I was wondering if anyone in Town Hall has any information about this upcoming model. I'm putting it on my shopping list.

Thanks. Happy motoring.

Comments

• otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    It's unfortunate but there isn't much interest on these boards re: the soon to be ended Mirage or the new Lancer. I agree with you, it seems to be a decent compact car. And as I have no brand loyalty to Honda, Toyota, etal., I too will put the new Lancer on my list of potential compact cars to test drive when the time comes to buy.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Im kinda interested in it, but the 120hp isnt to exciting... And the OZ Rally isnt even close to being anything more than the base sedan w/ minor body kit and aftermarket rims... (Wheres the Evo or at least an incarnation of the EVO?!)

But, It looks to stack well up against the field... Namely the Civic and Focus.

How was the rather wierrdly-perportioned roofline in person?
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Glad to see there is some interest in this car :)

The roofline is high. It's a tallish car; picture a Toyota Echo that has gone to finishing school. The roof is high but long and the car doesn't look like it will fall over. Plus, the 15" wheels do a better job of filling out the wheel wells so the car doesn't look like a toy.

As a result of the high roof the passenger compartment is huge. I think it is a bit bigger than the Civic and it really puts the Corolla away. I think the Elantra comes close for interior size. Plus, the interior materials used were top-notch. Even had a fold-down armrest for the back seat and some decent-looking plood on the dash.

Agree with above statement about the OZ rally model. Better to save your money and go for the LS (no stick, though). You'll probably have to wait for the Evo VII to arrive in 2003 for some true fun.

I think overall the Lancer may be a worthy competitor to the Civic/Corolla and certainly nicer inside and out than the Neon or Cavalier. I still see some Tredias and Cordias around every now and then. Mitsu must be doing something right with reliability.

If I see/hear any news about the Lancer I will post here. I read Mitsu is planning a big ad blitz before the Lancer goes on sale.

CJA
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Anyone know if Mitsu is going to sell a Lancer coupe? Or are they killing the Mirage coupe completely? I certainly hope not, because the Mirage coupe is one of the only competitors to the Civic coupe and it is a nice sporty car. Plus, I see a lot more Mirage coupes on the road than I do the sedan. I think it would be a mistake to kill the better selling model and having a coupe would be in line with Mitsu's sportier persona.
    Just a sedan for now.
    Drove one, walked away disgusted... Sporty my [non-permissible content removed]! That thing couldnt even take bumps without trying to bounce off the road! Im sure the lancer will be a much sportier, more rounded car considering the chasis and multi-link suspension.

BTW, Coupes are going the way of the dodo, cause the rest of the world could care less... Us americans need to step up to the program and realize 2-doors does not mean anything :P
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    from the pictures ive seen (yellow lancer OZ edition) the car looks sorta odd. it maybe the color, or the grille, i dont know. i think it should be a competant car, but that grille doesnt work for me...
    Anyone know when the Lancer will hit dealer showrooms?
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    I think the regular car is out this fall with the Evo VII comming in the latter part of next year. Can't wait! I just blew off getting a WRX and got a 330i instead as the STi comes out end next year so I really can't wait for the end of the 2 year lease! But which will be the car to pick?? Evo 7 or Sti? Damn!!
    Board is way too quiet, no other Mitsu fans? I like Mitsu -- too many Honda this, Toyota thats on the road. Mitsu stands out from the import crowd -- and it's cars are actually made in Japan unlike the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, etc...
    thecarconnection.com has a new review of the 2002 Lancer. They are lukewarm to it. Edmunds, will you have a review soon?
  • mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    EVO

I just found this great site which has great comparisons and reviews on the new Lancer Evo. I like his views since he is an unbiased source from Hong Kong, and sticks to facts, not feelings. His entire site rocks, and he gets no income from it what-so-ever.

Main Page:

<http://home.netvigator.com/~europa/Main_Menu.htm>

Review of Evo:

<http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/9120/html/Mitsubishi1.htm#Lancer GSR>

The editor feels that Evos performance is much better than the Subaru WRX, and also even better than the Subaru Sti. The only drawback on Evo compared to the Sti is that the Evo has a 5-speed while the Sti has a 6-speed (WRX has 5-speed), and the Evo rides a little rougher. He feels that the Sti is the REAL competitor to the Evo. I feel the same since they should come out in the US at about the same time (some time in 2002) and equivalent performance.

Who really cares though, the Impreza is as ugly as sin, and the EVO rocks!

I think the only thing left to consider is the reliability. With the new Mitsubishi restructuring and Global market targeting, you never know.

More information that other Lancer reviews I've read elswhere. The car will stand out from the Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais that are all over, simply because Mitsu has been a lower-volume seller. The car looks good, exceptional level of content on even the base car..all I need to know is has mileage. As to the EVO, that is of no interest to me. I am looking for a solid, reliable daily commuter. Anyway, it's good to see Edmunds review one of the 'second-tier' Japanese car companies.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at [email protected]. As always, you can contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Edmunds.com's just-published "First Drive" of the 2002 Lancer is available by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page.

Here is an excerpt from the article written by John DiPietro:
      "Devoid of gimmickry, the style of the Lancer is purposeful and clean. The large, classy grille and headlights reminded some of us of a Lexus'. And the smooth profile and simple taillight treatment furthered the impression of an upscale appearance. Mitsubishi gave the interior a more luxurious feel, as well, with upgraded materials along with woodtone and metallic accents for the dash and center console."
    Take a look and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Judging by the lack of posters, I'd say Mitsu is gonna have a hard time reaching potential buyers who are considering other imports in this class. Me, I'm looking for something that not every third person in the US of A buys, so I will test drive the Lancer come August.
  • wie_gehtswie_gehts Member Posts: 30
    The Mitsu Mirage has always been called "Lancer" in Europe and probably in Japan, too. Therefore, I conclude the Lancer is simply the next Mirage with a uniform name for all countries now. I must admit, it looks very nice in the picture. would definitely give it a try as everyone seems to have a boring Civic or Corolla.
    Also, in Europe they sell the Mitsu Charisma which is sort of in between the Mirage/Lancer and Galant. This car is based on the Volvo S40 platform and built in Holland.
  • russthelmrussthelm Member Posts: 1
    I am investigating the aftermarket potential of the new Lancer. While its hp rating is low, I feel there will be a lot of people who buy them for the low cost and uniqueness. One advantage is that it will share some parts with its Evolution VII counterpart. I have not seen its engine code yet, but if it is a 4G63 there may be some things that can be done there too. If there is enough interest, I will probably sell some parts for it (I dislike Honda and Toyota, so I want to get into something that other people are not). I just thought I would throw this out and see what some peoples response is.

Regards,
    Russ
    Anyone know what kind of mileage the Lancer is supposed to get?
    From the Autoweek web site:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=Autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00232430

"Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII coming to U.S.?

Even though the company says it's still under study, Rhys Millen, Mitsubishi's factory-sponsored driver, says the Lancer Evolution VII will be sold in the United States next year.

Mitsubishi's American sales arm showed a Japan- market version of the all- wheel-drive, turbocharged, 2.0-liter 276-hp rally car at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, but would not confirm its intentions to sell the Evo here.

Its official stance is "maybe." U.S.-market test cars are having difficulty with crash testing because of the car's front-mounted intercooler, one source said."

Like I said before, the Lancer EVO VII is coming in 2002 as a 2003 model. Let all rejoice, and lets gets people talking. COME ON PEOPLE!
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    You should consider the Mazda Protege! Especially the ES.

As good as either of these two, and very reliable, much sportier drive, better engine, and IMHO, a nicer interior. Not to mention more space in the back seat and a larger trunk. And lots of standard 'options' that you'd have to pay extra for in the Honda or Toyota.
    Like most folk, I'm looking for a solid daily commuter, not some gussied-up rally car. But if stop light racing in your thing, okay by me.
  • lev_kuznetsovlev_kuznetsov Member Posts: 12
    russthelm

although i didn't go to the japan site to check the exact engine code for the lancer (as opposed to evo), but from 2002lancer.com, stroke/bore is way off. plus it's a sohc
    somebody was asking...

5-Speed Manual (City/Highway) 29/41
    4-Speed Automatic (City/Highway) 27/39
    Crankcase (qt.) 3.7
    Coolant System (gal.) 1.6
    Fuel Tank (gal.) 13.2
    Recommended Fuel Regular Unleaded Regular Unleaded Regular Unleaded
    lancer cedia and evo 7 only have same door panels from a sheetmetal point
    I've read that the Lancer will go on sale in August but I have not seen one on dealer lots yet or even on a car carrier. Anyone got a sighting to report?
    Dan Jedlicka gives the Lancer a solid 7 in this week's review at msn.carpoint. Given the lack of response in this forum, I must be among the few folks out in the real world who are anticipating test driving the new Lancer. Well, that's okay by me. Gimme a solid daily driver that every third person in the US doesn't own.
  • 74birdman74birdman Member Posts: 3
    While out looking for the right car we passed our local Mitsubishi dealership he has a yellow one in the shop for it's destination service and inspection. He also has a white one and a black one the white and black models are possibly the Rally edition.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I recently purchased a Hyundai Elantra GLS. I compared it with a number of cars, specifically the Corolla/Prizm and the Civic. I'd really wondered whether Japanese companies were losing it. Although the Corolla S I drove is in its last two years, I really think that Toyota products have regressed since the last '93-'96? generation. The Hyundai was much, much nicer, more modern, etc.

I've gotta say, however, that the Lancer is a very, very attractive car. I've owned a number of Mitsubishi products in the eighties and I think that this is a very nice change from the last generation car. Hopefully between this and the new Nissan Altima, we'll finally be getting some interesting Japanese cars back in the mix.
    OK, progress at last. Went by my local Mitsu dealer in Central NJ but no Lancers were visible on the lot or in the showroom. Anyone got window sticker info...specifically MSRP and EPA mileage info?
  • 74birdman74birdman Member Posts: 3
    Black 4 Door 2002 OZ Rally Lancer
    2.0 SOHC 16 Valve 4cyl.
    Auto, A/C, CD, Spoiler
    MSRP $17,192 Spoiler was only option
    City 24 Hwy 30

White 4 Door was no longer on lot, but remember 5 Speed about $16,200

Yellow in locked showroom has huge spoiler, don't know price.
  • asdxereasdxere Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if the 2002 Lancer has 100k platinum plugs ?

Did ANY of the Mitsubishi vehicles switch to them
    in the past few years ?
    Geez, that is pretty disappointing for a car of this size! And since all Lancer models have the same engine, I'm assuming the ES and LS automatics get the same mileage.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    Saw my first Lancer in person this AM. I know style is in the eye of the beholder but geez this thing is SO bland it just seems to disappear into the surrounding background. Drove past it twice before I even noticed it. At first I thought it must be a 2002 Daewoo Nubira with a throwback to the old Pontiac Le Mans (remember that one)grille work. If Mitsu thinks that they will be competetive with Ford, Honda & Hyundai in the econobox class with this puppy then they had better price it REALLY down there.

The one I saw had impressive build quality, great paint & body fit very good, but I think they have pulled a massive "[non-permissible content removed]" on the style. Why go to all the trouble to intro a "new" car (they have been sold in Europe & elsewhwere too I guess prior to coming to the US) be so plain jane. The Hyundai Elantra will blow the doors off this thing in sales I fear. Just MHO tho.

Floridian
    sorry bout that typo...
  • solareventsolarevent Member Posts: 1
    29/41 (city/hwy) 5 spd
    27/39 (city/hwy) auto

according to mitsubishicars.com
    Black Lancer OZ-Rally sighted at a Mitsu Dealer in Austin, TX. It was nice, for the money, but not what I am looking for. I'd still rather have the EVO.
    wow, a disappointment at best!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    It is a bit on the low side, but considering it is a 2.0 liter engine, not totally out of line. It nearly matches the mileage of the 2.0 liter Zetec in the Focus. But I still think they could have done better. 26/33 with the auto would have been more acceptable.

As far as the rest of the car is concerned, overall, it was a nice effort. I am most impressed with the interior. Very upscale looking and totally blows away the Civic and Corolla in that respect. The exterior is forgettable and bland for the most part. The front looks elegant and the doors have the classier pull type door handles you usually see on luxury cars, but the rear end has no style to it whatsoever (it just looks like a box). The options sheet completely sucks though. Mitsu only offers ABS and side airbags on the LS model which only comes with an automatic! Why is it they think people who want those safety features only want to drive an auto?? The OZ Rally edition is the nicest looking of the trio, but it lacks the wood trim of the LS model and really should have some kind of performance addition over the other models to make it stand out more. I think Mitsu could have down a much better job with this car. As it stands, it is a competent car that will most likely get lost in the compact segment.
    Being a long-time reader of various forums, I've found your observations about Hyundai products in various forums to be candidly refreshing. I haven't driven a Lancer yet, but will definitely pay attention to the interior. I think you're right about the Lancer getting lost in the compact-car segment, unless Mitsu does sound major marketing. The news on packages is disappointing...whatever happened to 'the customer is always right, give 'em what they want'?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Heading to the local Mitsu dealer today to take a look at the '02 Lancer. The dealer has 10 in inventory. The OZRally is the flashiest model, but I prefer ABS on my vehicles so will look at the ABS equipped LS they have. I could always put aftermarket wheels on it...It is a very nice looking automobile in pictures. Will have to see how it is in person...
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Well, never got around to looking at the Lancer. Sort of lost interest after reading numerous reviews. The general consensus is that it is a wonderfully built automobile. The thing that makes me hesitant is the 120hp engine. Even 150 or 160 would be better. The Lancer is a rather heavy compact car, so there will definitely be a lack of "pep". Granted, I haven't driven the car. After what I have read, however, I have no desire to even look at them anymore.
  • asdxereasdxere Member Posts: 29
    I drove the Lancer LS sedan and was very impressed. It feels more like 135hp than the advertised 120hp. It has zero hesitation and revs nicely, all in a quiet interior. The steering is excellent! The steering is pleasantly light yet accurate. This car won't sell as many units as the Civic or Corolla, but IMHO it's a MUCH nicer car. Only two very minor gripes after the test drive: 1) MPG advertised on the website didn't match the EPA on the sticker --- which showed 24/30. It was advertised MUCH higher... 2) Digital clock is virtually unreadable in sunlight. No lip was placed above it to block the sun. Nitpicky I know, but when if you forget to put on your watch, you gotta put your palm on the dash to block the sunlight. This is a great car ! Salesman gave the sob story about "we only got around $900 markup in this car, I doubt you could buy it at less than full MSRP". Sheesh...
    The Lancer is a base model, mega-large production run... Mark ups!!!??? Thats freakin crazy!!! >:|
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I just configured one on their web site and didn't look to bad. From the side with the alloy wheels and the color keyed mirrors and door handles, this car doesn't look half bad. I wonder if it will have that goodness and quality feel of my Corolla? If it does, I could be very tempted to get one when I trade my 6 year old Corolla DX next year. I really would rather buy a 2nd or 3rd year run of a new model. 1st year models sometimes have bugs in them that need to be workd out. If their model run is 5 years like Toyota and Honda, a 4th year version is when they usually make cosmetic and some minor inside changes also. Funny, if one just had all the money for one's every want...
    The lancer has been out for a year in the rest of the world... But much can be discused about the questionable Mitsubishi quality as of late :p
  • madpapo2002madpapo2002 Member Posts: 8
    MITSUBISHI RULES

AND THEN THATS IT!!!!!!!!

CUZ I GOT A 99 LANCER WAGON(not sold in us)
    and i like it cuz it's really nice, good, no mechanicals troubles after 20.000 miles.

Just Nice.
  • blaxicanyiikblaxicanyiik Member Posts: 2
    In my opinion, is the worst looking car out right now. Why did they even bring this thing to the US,with the audacity not to offer a EVO/276 HP+ version. I assume that will be arriving in the next 1 or 2.
    "Road Test: 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer" has just been posted on Edmunds.com - click on the link provided in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page to check it out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • deltawhip1deltawhip1 Member Posts: 8
    this new 2002 mitsu lancer is pretty much garbage. i can't even believe people are considering buying this thing. just finished reading the edmunds review and all i got out of it was that it's just a big, ugly looking paperweight. just look at the numbers! 10.5 sec to 60 mph! ahhh! that's got to be slower than an '81 chevette! [email protected] for the 1/4 mi. wow. absolutely bland if not down right ugly styling, inside and out. the ONLY things i can possibly see going for this thing are the decent braking and slalom numbers. but everything else...garbage. the horrible stereo system? did anybody read the stereo review? come on now! and all this for a $17,000 car?! please, the civic, corolla, sentra (can you say spec-v?), cavalier, focus, and just about every other compact out there will beat this pansy lancer in every evaluation hands down and for thousands (!) less. save for the spec-v which will be about 18K, but will just completely demolish the lancer in every aspect, for 1-2k more! wake up people! this mitsu is an absolute waste of money! imho.
    let's just wait for the evo, ok?

by the way, this ain't no attack on anybody, so please just put the guns away. i'm just comparing facts with some opinion in the mix, just like you guys.

just my .02

peace
This discussion has been closed.