Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2007 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Glad you are still enjoying your car. :) 17K miles in how long, a year or so? I got 28K on my 02 Jetta, and it will be 14 months old on Friday... :)
  • How long out of that 14 months has your Jetta been in the shop? That information is necessary to make an adequate assessment on how many miles you are really putting on it :)
  • cpocpo Posts: 23
    I bought one yesterday! Before that I'd never heard of the car until the 0-0-0 financing ad campaign enticed me to see what Mitsubishi is all about in Edmunds.com. I sorta had my eye on Protege' for my teen daughter, <two short years from college age, but not interested enough to buy anything right now.. That is until we tested the Lancer. I got it at cost (ES, auto w/ option P1 - total $15k).. No interest, 36mo. term & 1st payment due Feb., '04! Hard to pass up this one, all things considered. I am impressed with the classy exterior and functional/roomy interior. The solid sound/feel closing doors is a good thing. I just hope reliablity is an attribute to brag about down the road. These are made entirely in Japan, so there's a start. (Pity I had to say that.) More later...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Congrats on your new Lancer! Please keep us informed on your ownership experience since so few people decide to post here.
    It was off the road for a month because a part was coming in from Germany for it. So 28K miles in 12 months.

And, unlike cheap Honda, VW gives loaner cars and doesn't make you rent a car at expense.
  • Honda doesn't need to give out loaner cars. VW must anticipate the length of time their cars will spend in the shop and wanna save you that second car note worth of rental cars. They are SUCH a considerate company. Durn Honda, they just build their cars right the first time.
    What does this have to do with the Lancer? Nothing of course. So drop it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Please stop already. As an avid Edmunds fan, I'm getting a little po'd with your constant attitude and nastiness when others don't agree with you. You already had problems last year in the Protege Forum using a different name and frankly, your 15 minutes are up! Either start acting like an adult in here or please, JUST MOVE ON! U've become tedious at best.
    Happy New Year to everyone else!

The Sandman :-)
  • sandman ... maybe one of your New Year's resolutions should be to not take things so seriously. It was obviously a joke and both of you know that and it was no more off-topic or less-relevant to the Lancer than this statement "And, unlike cheap Honda, VW gives loaner cars and doesn't make you rent a car at expense"
  • I've had my OZ for 8 months and through the 16,500 miles have had no problems. The car is running great! Still lots of compliments and also seeing more and more Lancers on the road each day. Can't wait to see the Evolution in a few weeks-just one question......Why do so many professional reviews knock the car; from Motortrend to Car and Driver....even Edmunds does not give the car the credit it deserves? Oh well, I am 110% satisfied with my ride----hope everyone feels the same about theirs!
  • what do you think would win performance wise:

2003 us lancer evo vs:

1) 2002 infiniti g35 coupe
    2) 2002 nissan 350Z coupe
    3) 2003 Impreza WRX
    4) 2004 Mazda RX-8
    Edmunds drove both a WRX and an Evolution, and they liked the WRX better I think.

Will Mitsu really bring this car over? It seems they have to offer 0-0-0 to sell everything lately, which means they can't be making much money on deals. I wonder if they can really afford to bring the Evo here.

I am sure it will be a heck of a C&D comparison test between those mentioned above though. :)
  • It is definitely coming. We have 3 set up to be shipped to us on 2-25. Blue, silver, and black.
    I just question their financial stability lately. Eclipses are not exactly flying off the lot, and they have been doing 0-0-0 as long as I cam remember. So how are they staying in business anyway? Do they have money trees somewhere we don't know about? :)
    Well, before the current 000 deal, they were making plenty of money on the high interest rates of the old 000 deal. My interest rate is 9.9%, and that was the best rate you could get under the 000 deal. That is considerably higher than what most were offering during the same time frame. I also believe that the dealers are a little less willing to sell the car real cheap when the buyer is approved for the 000, or maybe the customer ins't as driven to getting a great deal since the car isn't costing them a dime to buy initially. And than there's the fact Mitsubishi is being advertised as the fastest growing Japanese nameplate, which means Mitsu must be selling plenty of cars. In 2001, out of 37 car makers, Mitsu was 14th in sales, above Mercury, Olds, and Mazda.
  • Mitsu sales are dropping way off from what they were last year. At least in this area. That's why they are offering deferred payments for 1 year AND 0.0% financing. They do have the new Endeavor coming out and the EVO should generate some interest but most of their models are now up against strong competition. The Galant now has to compete with the new Accord, new Camry, and new Altima. Montero Sport is up against the Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner, etc. The Montero has the MDX, RX300 to compete with. The Lancer is up against the Civic, Corolla, and Protege. The Diamante is an also-ran and is on a 6 year old design and I don't know of any immediate plans to redesign it. And that's just competition within the Japanese brands. Hyundai is coming up strong too. They have Daimler-Chrysler behind them but eventually the parents will get tired of the 30 year old kid living off of them. Maybe their new products will be enough to get them out of the house.
  • I hope the Lancer is a much better car than the dreadful Mirage. I owned a 98 Mirage and a 95 Eclipse and these two cars were the worse cars that I have ever came across. My Mitsubishi cars were in the shop much of the time with oil leaks, valve problems, you name it.. Mitsubishi makes great designs on their cars but they have far to go to equal the quality (especially mechanical) of a Honda or Toyota. I traded my Mirage in for 2001 Honda Civic and it hasn't been near a shop (except for oil changes) yet. The resale value of Mitsubishi cars is very poor as I have found out when trying to get rid of my 95 eclipse. Make sure you do some REAL SERIOUS research on mitsubishi (or other car manufactorers) before you invest in a new automobile. It will be well worth it!!
  • I promise I didn't post that.
    Wait a sec. You profile says you own a Hyundai. Do you own both a Hyundai and a Honda? That would be an odd mixture. You either love Honda and hate Hyundai or vice versa. Hmmmmm.....
    Actually, Mitsu sales are up quite a bit overall. The Montero Sport, Montero, and Diamante saw sales decline. The Galant, Eclipse, and Eclipse Spyder each saw sales increase between 1-4k. The Lancer saw a huge increase in sales over the Mirage (63975 compared to 29465) and the newly introduced Outlander has added to their sales as well. These sales figures are based on November 2002 totals. It appears Mitsu is doing just fine in sales.
    One more thing: I wouldn't say Mitsu is living off of Daimler to stay afloat. If anything, the Mitsu/Daimler bond will continue to grow stronger now that the next Neon/PTCruiser is to be built off of the Lancer's platform. Daimler needs Mitsu as much as Mitsu needs them.
  • I said in this area Mitsu sales were down. I have access to every dealership's sales in this district and as a whole this area is not doing too well.

Mitsu is in trouble and they know it or they wouldn't offer deferred payments for 1 year AND 0.0% financing. No other manufacturer is doing that to my knowledge. Not even Hyundai.
  • I also own a 2001 Honda Civic LX with my wife (she drives it most of the time). My 2000 Hyundai Elantra is a very big improvement over my 98 Mirage and I absolutely love it! I have 25600 trouble miles on the hyundai and I would pick a Hyundai/Honda over a Mitsubishi product anyday!
    I think the only reason the Galant is selling a little better is because of the huge rebates and free financing Mitsu offers on them. The same with the other models. And Lancers are placed in rental car fleets as well (they are with Enterprise, that's how I got to drive one), so that will up the sales considerably as well.

I liked the Lancer when I drove it, except for the seat comfort. The maneuverability was pretty good, although I wished for a heavier feeling steering gear and more power (of course). :)
  • My problem with the Lancer is the engine. It has good low-end torque but that's not where I prefer my power to be. Also not crazy about the looks although some colors are better than others.
    The one I had was a dark red color, it wasn't too bad. I liked the storage cubby under the radio, fit my cell phone perfectly. :) The radio was hard to reach for me a little, because it's slanted it seems. I also hated the power, but I am used to a turbo and 180hp so I knew I would feel that way. I would compare its power to the Protege, but it's been too long since I drove it so I can't really compare them there. They are both adequate, that's all I can remember.
  • The Protege has the better interior hands down. I also like the sportier feeling of the Protege.
    Glad you are happy with the Elantra. I sort of had the opposite experience. My 00 Hyundai Accent was reliable in that it never left me stranded or gave me annoying check engine lights, however, it did need mechanical warranty repairs way too early in its life. By 17k, the Accent had the water pump replaced, the horn started working erratically, and the transmission was making an odd whistling noise (at 21k, the clutch and throw-out release bearing were replaced; it still makes the noise at 32k and the horn quit working again for a short time). By 17k, the Lancer hasn't needed one single repair. No annoyances and no mechanical problems.

I used to own a 93 Diamante. Sold it with 173k miles. Everything electronic was original and still worked, including the AC. The car was very reliable and gave only a few problems (it sometimes stalled at idle and had an annoying sputter when acclerating, but I don't consider those reliability problems since they were attributed to a cracked distributor cap and worn out plug wires, which are normal maintenance items). Even at such high mileage, the 3.0 V6 that was known to burn oil due to weak valve guides only burned 1/4 quart every 3k. The car was amazingly solid and rattle free too. I would venture to say it was more reliable than my mom's trusty 92 Honda Accord. I even happened to see the car a year later at a gas station and asked the woman how she liked it and has she had any problems. She told me it hasn't given her any trouble and she loved it. It had 184k!

Past and present experiences leads me to believe Mitsu makes a solid reliable product and I don't see where Honda and Toyota are any better except in resale. I no longer believe in the almighty Honda either, especially after my sister went through a year of hell with her 00 Odyssey and forced them to buy it back and after reading all the complaints of rattles and suspension quality in the current Civic. I don't know which model Eclipse you had, but if you had the RS or GS model, you can blame your engine trouble on Chrysler since the engine was simply a tweaked version of the Neon engine. Mitsu wasn't at fault there. Not sure what problems you had with the Mirage, but that can't be excused since that was a Mitsu design.
    Actually, most of the Mirage's sales in its last few years were to rental companies. The Lancer's big increase in sales is due to consumers being more interested in the car. But, yes, some of its sales are to rental fleets.

I'm sure the 000 deal is helping increase sales. At least they are showing an increase rather than a decrease. If sales were plumeting even while offering the special financing, than Mitsu would be in trouble. You were concerned with how they are making money. I was just showing that despite the shaky economy, Mitsu sales continue to rise.
  • Mitsubishi's problem is that for the most part it's not a "destination" car. Meaning people who want a Honda/Toyota KNOW they want a Honda/Toyota whereas there are alot of people who hear the 0/0/0 commercials or just stumble across the cars. Up until recently Mitsubishi hasn't spent alot of money on advertising which is something they need to do. The people who liked the 95-99 Eclipse have moved on to better things and that was about the only "move-up" car Mitsu had. They are going to need better cars than the Eclipse and Lancer to make them a powerhouse.
This discussion has been closed.