Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited March 2014 in Subaru
for Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon owners to share their ownership experiences. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    you may also want to check out information linked to the Additional Resources box on the left hand side. Please note, I currently have our other Subaru WRX Wagon (2002) discussion, as well as our new Subaru Community page linked there. Keep a look out for other Subaru discussions, articles, and features... in that area!

Happy motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • mikesm6mikesm6 Member Posts: 32
    Well, I placed a $1K deposit on the WRX 5 sp silver wagon today ($500. off MSRP and 8 -10 weeks del), but before that I went to a ride and drive (Isuzu) highlighting their new Axiom at Texas Motor Speedway - these "sport hybrids" are really lame: the Outback 6 cyl probably the worst! However, I drove a really insane car - their VehiCross -I don't do off road stuff -but once at Putnam Park, I got off their really greasy (95+ different composit) surfaces track backwards at too much speed in the rain, and took a long reverse journey without hitting anything ( a professional M 3 racer went airborne, hit the Armco and landed upsidedown in the same corner later in the event and totaled the yellow racer - no bumps or bruises as the roll cage/fuel cell was ready for that.
    I still think the off road racers are nuts/certifiable, but the VehiCROSS was "enlightening"! Can't wait for the little WRX Sweetie! M
  • bearbear1bearbear1 Member Posts: 16
    Ordered the 5 speed WRX silver wagon on April 9. Not sure when it will come in. Salesman says early June. Will keep you informed and my impressions of it when that happens. Aren't there any older guys or gals out there interested in this neat little car? Seems like 99% of the messages on the WRX boards are from teenagers or the like. I would think the car would appeal to people who grew up in the 60's too. Ron
  • go_car_gogo_car_go Member Posts: 2
    I also ordered a WRX 5spd. sport wagon in silver. Must be a popular combo. I am in my late late 30's so I am older. I think the reason there are so many "teenagers" or the like on the WRX boards is because it's an exciting car and the price point is obtainable as opposed to a car like the Audi S4.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hey, I'm no spring chicken and I'm interested in the WRX. FWIW I think the Impreza line has always had a more "youthful" following.

-Frank P.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Actually, the Out Back Sports sell to a much older crowd... And ive noticed the average age of a Impreza RS or WRX owner is between 25 and 30, which isnt that young.
    Its mostly the post-college crowd, and not as many of the in-high school teens. But, with the WRX, im seeing alot of people of all ages and backgrounds checking them out and buying them! (Met a 53 year old guy who drove Rally cars profesionally for audi buying a rex)
    Well, I grew up in the late fifties-early sixties and am considered a "senior" citizen. But I appreciate good cars and good drivers. Have had four Subarus when up north. They were excellent. Never missed a day of work in bad weather. I like the whole concept of the WRX and so I ordered a 5 speed wagon. I think I see about 5 or 6 Subarus here each year! But see hundreds or even thousands of Audis, BMWs, Boxters, etc. So it will be nice having a really "unique" car down here.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Hey age is only a state of mind who says us oldies have to own boring cars.
    Cheers Pat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And yesterday I saw a little old lady, white hair and all, driving a Legacy GT sedan.

It was HILARIOUS! She was hitting apexes!

-juice
  • nf3nf3 Member Posts: 3
    I ordered my WRX 5 sp silver wagon on 4-2 for delivery in mid June. Well get this, someone ordered in March for a late April delivery and then cancelled their order, so now the car is mine! The exact car I ordered plus some options at no cost that they had ordered. I picked it up on 4-24 and right now it is a love-hate relationship. I love the car, the handling is perfect, the interior comfort is great, and the stereo (upgrade w/subwoofer) kicks. The hate is the 1000 mile break-in. Oh it's killing me. About 3200 rpm is where the power starts coming on, but 4000 is the limit for break-in. I have the next 6 days off, guess it's time to take a few day trips and get this suffering over with. BTW, I'm 39 years old. Brett
    Congrats, Brett.

We should tell SoA to only do the owner surveys AFTER the break-in period. ;-)

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I'm 39 too and have a silver 5spd WRX wagon. I've had it since 3/26 and have 1265 miles on it. Loving it more each day. I traded in a 00'OB Ltd wagon. It was a great car just not me (not sporty enough). The WRX wagon is just the compromise I needed. Actually, I love that it doesn't compromise too much when compared to the WRX sedan. At first, I wasn't too thrilled w/the exterior looks but it grows on you and now I think it's a uniquely styled car that won't have its looks go stale anytime soon. This can't be said for a lot of "lookers" currently flooding the market.

On another note, the 1000 mile break-in is tough to maintain. If you hit it a couple of times past 4k rpms, don't sweat it, just don't make it a habit until after the break-in. Hang in there, the wait will be worth it!

Stephen
    Hi Ron, et.al. I'll be 57 in December! As I mentioned previously, I really wanted a BMW M 3 Touring (a 333 hp 6 sp wagon), but BMW wasn't listening. My insurance premiums on the (nom 305 hp/286lb-ft Tor) M 6 run about $300. q 6 mos here in Dallas, so I am not expecting a big hit with arrival of the rex. P.S. I ordered mine without dealership decals, license plate brackets, etc. M
    So good to hear that you finally purged those BMW desires out of your head. At least now you won't have to drive all the time with a cell phone held to your ear like all the rest (except me, of course). I probably told you I am getting out of a 2000 528i sport sedan (silver)in favor of the WRX I ordered. No, I am not crazy, just feel that the WRX has character and none of that Bavarian psycho-baggage attitude that goes with all those cars. Will I be a happy camper? I think so, and my checking account will be a hell of a lot happier. As for insurance? It will probably drop due to all the safety features in the WRX and for me also because the Beemer was a much more expensive car. Don't forget, I have had much experience with Subaru in the distant past and all of it was good. We also have a new E320 in the family so no big deal leaving the BMW.
    I still find myself driving w/my cell phone to my ear sometimes in my 5spd WRX.. :-)

I've learned to multi-task at a much better rate though.

Stephen
    Bearbear1, NOT! I have driven nearly every racing venue in NA and Europe. The only cell phone I have ever had was in the '91 850i - pretty neat device actually - hands free and voice programmable and activated - i.e. "call home", "call office", etc. The E 39 528i/530i Spt pack, 5 sp BMWs are really wonderful! Why would you dump a new one of these? I waited until two weeks before the 4 yr warranty expired to sell the 850i, but I had the M 6, an M 5, 735i, ' 93 325is spt and my kids had two E 30s (325 es and is). I have driven the street BMWs at nom speeds of 156 - 165 mph for the 850i and M 6 respectively, which no one would do with a cell phone in the car or luggage if one had half a brain, and of course, the radios were not on as the motor, esp valves, trans and tire sounds are so great: ever hear the M 6 at full 7800+ (chip) rpms? nom 100 in 3rd? M
    Just trying to simplify my life, getting out of all the stuff that used to claim so much of my time; wanting it, getting it, finding it not what was really wanted, etc. So there you are. Will keep you posted when my wagon arrives and will give as an objective an evaluation as I can.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    does the WRX wagon have more space in the back seat than the sedan like in the Legacy??
    Yes, the back seat in the wagon has more legroom and (I believe) more headroom than the sedan..but I'm sure about the legroom. I did a lot of research before buying mine as I was trading in a 00'OB Ltd wagon.

Stephen
    At least by the tape measure, it's got half inch more legroom in back.

-juice
  • wealthwealth Member Posts: 1
    just bought wagon in black with automatic. pleased with looks and performance. wagon is the way to go. only criticism so far is cheap sound and feel of doors. other than that car is well constructed. I was thinking of using a sealer and glaze instead of wax . any suggestions?
    You get used to the frameless doors. They reduce the thickness of the pillars, so you have smaller blind spots, and the doors themselves are lighter. They are double-sealed and have built-in channels for water, so they don't leak even with my 1300psi pressure washer blasting at 'em.

-juice
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    I'm curious to find out what you owners are getting in the way of MPG on the 5spd wagons. Thanks.
    on the odometer of my 5spd WRX wagon I've gotten a low of 15.6 mpg for all-out city driving (some flogging going on here too) to a high of almost 23 mpg in mixed city/hwy, about 50/50 split. I've been averaging about 19 city since most of my driving is in stop and go, hilly Seattle. I've noticed that it isn't hard to get really crappy mileage in this thing if you make judicious use of the turbo, especially in the city.

Hope this helps.
    BTW, the EPA (you probably know this but...) #'s are 20 city and 27 hwy for the 5spd.

Stephen
  • jarrad1jarrad1 Member Posts: 5
    I've been looking for an SUV type vehicle to transport my finace and 60 pound 5-month old Akita (he has about 50 more pound to go). I love SUV's but hate the milage.

In turn, I have been looking at wagons as a more economical alternative. I have to admit I love the A4 Avant. The car is just so perfect inside. How do you new owners compare the two, and how much did you pay in relation to MSRP/Invoice?

Is everyone ordering? How long do they take to get in?

Thanks for the help!!!
    Stephen: sounds like the throttle obeys your right foot! :-)

Jarrad: take your dog to the dealership and try it out. I think the Outback Sport has a plastic liner in the cargo area, so they'll probably let you.

If you find it a little small, try out a Forester S or Legacy GT wagon. The square back will give your dog more room.

We say Soob owners are dog people (pet people actually), so it would be cool to hear you ended up buying one.

-juice
    Juice: Yes...I'm afraid it's true..what's a guy to do??

jarrad1: The Audi A4 Advant compares favorably to the WRX wagon in performance and interior capacities. The WRX is a little roomier in the seating areas (small diff though) and will spank the Audi in performance albeit w/more turbo lag. The interior is not as luxurious as the Audi but nicely equipped and well-built. The WRX front seats are much more comfortable than the Audi's and rank as some of the best out there regardless of price (comfort and grip). Currently, most dealers are getting full MSRP for the WRX and the wagon is @ 23,495 plus dest chg. Some dealers have been charging about $500 less than MSRP. There aren't too many options and those are not that expensive. The BBS wheels are outrageously priced and don't include tires. The next highest cost option would be automatic but, please consider the car! Of course, if you want the WRX and have to have auto. than so be it. It's still quite a performer just different w/the auto.. I think that Audi is willing to deal a bit more on the A4 as the 2002 model will be coming out soon. I still think you would be hard pressed to match the MSRP of the WRX though unless you were dealing w/a base model A4 Advant w/no options (hard to find anywhere).

Basically, buy the Audi if the interior rocks you and performance takes a (pardon the pun) a back seat on your list. The WRX takes the reliability, maintenance cost, and performance ball and runs w/it, all at a lesser price than the Audi.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps and yes, I'm a bit prejudiced but still a car enthusiast at heart.

Stephen,
    WRX 5spd wagon, 1600 miles so far and still in love!
    Ouch! I was hoping to see numbers closer to 30mpg, but your daily drive is tons different than mine (usually 250-300 highway miles). I'm trying to decide between the WRX wagon and the new RSX Type-S from Acura to replace my '98 GS-R. I receive a mileage allowance, but getting anything less than 27mpg would cut too deeply, particularly with premium fuel.

Anyone else getting some solid MPG numbers?
  • markyrobmarkyrob Member Posts: 3
    The A4 is certainly a nice car, with a beautiful interior. I did a lot of research on wagons, and you cant beat the WRX. The A4 doesnt have as much lag (so it is said) and it drives very nicely since it has most of its torque available at lower RPMs. But, keep in mind that its torque peak is some 50 ft-lb less than the WRX, and HP is only 170 vs 227. If you chart the torque per lb, and hp per pound for the two you will see that after 1800 rpm or so the WRX is stronger all the way to redline.

After my first 3 days with my WRX wagon (oh yeah!!) I can tell you that it is no problem to commute through stop lights, even using break in style driving. 1800 rpm comes up very fast in any manual trans car when leaving a stop. From there you will be ahead of any A4.

You will find more rear seat room in the WRX too.
  • markyrobmarkyrob Member Posts: 3
    Of course I am a little partial to the car I laid down the hard earned money for. A4 is certainly nice. The price to buy the car, and then any service costs will be more than for the WRX.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Gonna be tough getting consistently above that number, especially since the EPA test is driven at a slower pace than most folks travel, meaning very little to no boost at highway speed. Gotta remember it is a 227HP AWD vehicle that weighs over 3000 pounds. I don't think the mileage is all that bad considering.

-Beanboy
    I heard someone over at I-club got 28mpg on a cross country trip at speeds around 80mpg... But of course, around the city that drops dramatically :P
  • curcicurci Member Posts: 6
    Jarrad, go with the WRX!

I ordered a 5 speed WRX wagon about two weeks ago.
    I paid $22,100 and that price includes the destination charge. I think I was able to get a good price because I ordered it. I was told about 8 weeks for delivery, possibly 10. I got a few of the options packages,(package 2, 3A, and guage pack) and the dealer gave me those at 10% below invoice because it was a factory order. I paid total $25,050 and that included taxes and tags etc. I don't know if I just got lucky, but it sounds like most people are paying close to MSRP.

I did the whole thing over the phone. Basically, I E-mailed about 5 different dealerships in the Philly area - told them exactly the car I want and the options I want and what I was willing to pay. I was clear that it was a factory order and that I was in no rush at all. After about 4 days of back-and-forth on the phones, one dealer said he'd give me the whole thing for $500 over invoice, (somehow the dest. charge was included in the $21,500 invoice price - I didn't quite understand it but...wasn't going to argue).

One guy wouldn't go below $500 over MSRP, so quite a spread I got. So think there are some advantages to a factory order if you find the right dealership.
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    There is a Subaru dealer in the Rochester, NY area that told me that he would sell WRX for 250-350 over invoice (depending on the color). I think if you get yellow, you will pay less. Go figure. Anyway their name is Doyle Subaru. I don't have their number but the Subaru.com website should (I'm not affiliated with this dealer). I was going to order a WRX but the need for room made me buy a Forester for Invoice price (or a tad less). Good Luck!
  • wrxsexwrxsex Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in comparing notes on real world mpg with other WRX owners. I have a 5-speed wagon, with a total of 995 miles on the odometer. I live in downtown Chicago, so there's been a lot of stop and go. Also, because I have yet to complete the break-in, on highway trips I shift the gears around more than what would normally be necessary. During the break-in, one has to try not to keep the engine speed at a steady rate for extended periods of time.

my average (so far): 17.4 mpg
    my best tank: 20.0 mpg
    my worst tank: (AC on all day)15.8 mpg

So, when my odometer rolls around to 1,000 tomorrow, and I finally release the hounds, can I expect even more gluttonous consumption?
    Your milleage will probably get better as time goes by and the engine sets in more... Unless you drive REALLY hard of course :P

Try reseting your ECU in a few hundred miles, it should help too.
    I have a 5spd WRX wagon. I live in Seattle and have a lot of stop and go traffic combined w/Seattle's infamous hills. I've had a low of 15.63 (a lot of turbo induced fun in all city driving) to a high of 22.46 which was 50/50 split between city & highway. I have been keeping a gas mileage log since I bought my WRX on 3/26. I have had 6 tankfuls so far and the overall average is 19.28. Your mileage will improve as you get more miles on the engine. This is a trait of the boxer motor so have no fear and hang in there. I currently have abou 1660 miles on the odometer. Of course, playing with the "wheeeee thing" (the turbo) will drop your mileage to the degree in which you've punched it. :-)

Hope this helps,

Stephen
  • bouldewrxbouldewrx Member Posts: 6
    My mileage (wagon, almost 3,000 miles on the odo) jibes with what I've seen here. A low of about 12 (on the track), a high of about 24 (mostly highway cruising), with the average running just shy of 20.

I _know_ it would be better if I could keep my foot off the whee button, but I can't do it. I went out and bought a top-notch radar detector the third day I had it, after the second time I came around a mountain corner and had an oncoming officer friendly give me the finger wag. So what's the trick to responsible behavior? Are there any wrx owners who have figured out how to act their age with this thing?
    No...not really! Sorry..not much help, I know.
    :-)

Stephen
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    Hi,

Picked up my WRX 5-sp Wagon on 5/4. Then had to go away until Sunday so hadn't driven much (135 miles now - 9 miles at delivery). But here are my first impressions...

Likes - Just about everything. Excellent balance of performance, comfort, and utility in an "affordable" package. Sound of turbo spinning up. Silver doesn't attract too much unwanted attention.

Dislikes - Having to ease up on the gas just when the turbo's spooling up during break-in. Too easy to get up to ticket-earning speeds.

Nitpicks - Lack of lumbar support on the otherwise comfy seats. Shifter a little notchy from 2nd to 3rd. Seat fabric and floor mats look like they may not last very long. Cheap looking/feeling headliner and trunkliner material.

The nitpicks are just that, nitpicks. I don't seriously expect everything to be perfect in a car with this level of performance at this price. So far, I am very pleased with the purchase.

Phil
    between 2nd & 3rd will start to disappear as your WRX gets broken in. I currently have about 2100 miles on my silver (great color choice, BTW) wagon.

Stephen
    I am slowly going mad from reading post after post of WRX-induced joy. The day I ship off my GS-R can't come soon enough--only 55K more miles until I hit 250K, and then it'll be HELLO (again) Subaru!

Here's another ownership question for you lucky dogs regarding, as you may have guessed, insurance costs. What kind of rate increases have any of you experienced due to the turbo? Is the WRX a real bogey for the actuarial types? Do the DRL's or side airbags compensate to any useful degree? I'm currently paying a moderate performance surcharge on the Acura, but I suspect that most of its insurance expense arises from the high theft rates of Integras: the rate on my 2.5RS is much lower.

BTW, has anyone found the performance gauge package to be useful, or is it just mostly for "gee-whiz" effect? And how's the soundsystem in the car? Is there really no SEEK button on the radio?

Thanks in advance. Spence
    The gauge pack is very useful. Boost controler is definatly a must for this car. The other two gauges can be important as well... But if your not concerned about seeing that stuff, you dont really need it :P
    I certainly agree that the info it provides is useful but IMHO the cluster looks cheap! I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket offers that's why I didn't order it as an option when I got the WRX wagon.

Stephen
  • potenzauspotenzaus Member Posts: 29
    Since WRX is a 2.0 liter 4 cyl. engine and it's not that heavy, why it has poor mpg?
    I thought the reason for the turbo in a 4 cyl. is to get the car run faster (instead of having a 6 cyl which I think should have poorer mpg). But obviously the mpg in WRX is worse.
    Thanks for the input...
    It's geared pretty short so the engine spools up quickly.

Also remember it's AWD and pretty darned quick. I'm sure it's mileage in the real world would match a 330xi or A4 2.8 Quattro, and it'll outrun either of those.

-juice
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    Spence - I think insurance is relatively cheap for the WRX as it is a new model. I think it'll be cheaper than the Integra, closer to (perhaps a little higher than) the 2.5 RS.

Stephen - Thanks for the advice regarding 2-3 notchiness, glad to hear that it'll get better.
  • nf3nf3 Member Posts: 3
    Went from a '99 Impreza L sedan to a WRX wagon. Insurance increased $200 a year, which is not bad considering the perfomance difference. If you are looking MPG you'll have to stay out of the turbo...I think. Since I did not check mileage during break-in, and now the tach is over 4k a lot I just don't want to know. I bought for fun, not MPG.

Brett
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    On the I-club site, a couple of people have done it, but no real write-up yet. Anyone with any experience on this?

PS I really don't need to hear all the arguments against getting one, thanks.
    I have one on my Forester, which is kind of similar. There was a brace from B-pillar to B-pillar on my Forester, too, but they add their own bracing.

And no, it's never rattled or leaked. In fact noone I know with a recent aftermarket moonroof has had any problems.

It was $300 for an ASC 15"x30" pop-up style glass roof (they have no model number, sorry), installed. They had to cut my roof rails short, for $70 extra, but you don't have those. I also later got a Windflector at Pep Boys for $30, so out of pocket was $400 for me and totally worth it.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.