Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    nowakj66 and anyone else who's seen one firsthand:
    How big is the moonroof? Is it that sliver sized one on the JDMs, or is it bigger?
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Does that press kit mention anything about colors available for the '04? :)

All Weather Package makes me very happy!

- Lou
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The Moon roof is bigger than the small JDM one. About the same size as my front seat OutBack moon roof.

The battery was not plugged in on the car (safety) so I could not tell if it slid back or just cracked. I am guessing it slid back.

For Colors - there are 2 new ones (not sure if any are dropped). San Moreno Red (a red red) and Java Black Pearl (a color on the Forester today).
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I want to second what Mike (Paisan) said in that the problems that I mainly had w/the Vishnu pkg was the installation I had done more than the actually pkg itself. I should have had it installed professionally from the get-go. Having said that, I will say that the Vishnu pkg is not perfect. Quite a few people have problems with surging at half throttle, something akin to missing almost. There is an additional electronic piggyback piece that supposedly takes care of this but it costs an additional $150 or greater. There are also a lot of stories (mine included) of ill-fitting uppipes, even with new gaskets. My experience wasn't horrific but it was more a constant nagging thought that all was not right in my lil' WRX fantasy.

I figured that I would never get all the $$ I spent on upgrades back but at least my car was still new enough w/avg miles that I might at least get a good trade-in amount. Before I even got down to negotiating a new car deal, I knew what my WRX was worth in the Puget Sound area. I was already doing some calculations as I was on the list at my local Subaru dealer for the STi. I was within a couple hundred dollars of this amount when I traded for the Jeep (because of my stock archilles heal windshield being severely cracked). I will tell you that the 04' freshening is already hurting trade-in values of the bug eyed WRXs. They will probably stay depressed a bit and then come back up some, much the same way the previous gen RS did when the WRX came out. Additionally, the STi will affect the trade-in value of WRXs that may have a bit o' $$ invested in them like mine had.

Bouncin' but happy in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Having witnessed AZP do at least 3-4 uppipes, the install is tricky at best, and a lot of the pipes don't fit perfectly. We've found the STi to be best cause of the flex tube it has that allows it to fit snugger. Even with meticulous installs we've had to re-gasket/re-set 1 uppipe due to leaks so far. Not bad, but not great.

-mike
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Stephen would have been really happy with his car, if he had left it alone. But going deep into the modding business (specifically the powertrain), it was only a matter of time before something major happened or did not pan out. That was certainly not how the factory intended the car to be run. Of course, by then Stephen had reached the "WRX Fantasy" stage....beyond return. But a Wrangler replacing the WRX ?? Why not a Liberty, which at least will hold its value better?

About the re-freshening, Acura had also done a re-freshing of the TL series a bit into the 2001 model year, and a lot of people had cried about how it would "hurt the resale values" of the non-refreshened version...but the non-refreshened version is worth exactly what it would be worth, refreshening or not. JMHO.

Later...AH
    The resale on a Wrangler will hold far longer than the liberty. The wrangler is like a timeless vehicle (and I don't even like them) but they are popular.

-mike
    The Wrangler has the best resale value in the Jeep line-up. The Wrangler is argueably the most reliable vehicle in the Jeep line-up.
    Addtionally, I wanted something that was fun, albeit in a different way than my WRX. There are many Jeep clubs w/more CJ,YJ, & TJ owners than other models of Jeep. There is a fierce loyalty for the Wrangler style (all the types listed above). Believe it or not, the Wrangler is a blast to drive. I can't wait for summer to take the hardtop off. We have a pleuthra of great off-road trails in the NW. The Wrangler is not out-matched on many trails unlike the Liberty. For a vehicle like the Wrangler, I actually prefer the 4.0 inline 6cyl vs the 3.7L v/6 in the Libery. The downsides for the Wrangler are a bumpy (although not as bad as I imagined)ride, not great fuel economy (especially in town...about 15mpg or 2 to 3 less than I was getting w/the WRX in town), and hardly any security from those that would be prone to breaking and entering.

Another attaction of the Wrangler for me is its many different setups something akin to a Swiss Army knife. With the hardtop on it's a fine commuter. Lots of torque down low, allowing a good traffic crawl w/o having to shift too much. With the roof off or down it's a fun convertible. It's off-road appitude is legendary and rightly so. The interior is by no means a penalty box. It has more thorough intrumentation than the WRX, better cupholders (4 that will actually hold something other than a coke can). Easy to use cruise control and small, but neat features like a 12v outlet that works when the vehicle is not on. Everything on the Wrangler is easy to get to except maybe the backseat. But, even this has been helped out a bit in 03' by a passenger seat that flips foward and up. The backseat is a one shot fold and tumble affair and can also be easily taken out.
    The Wrangler tends to be a vehicle everyone thinks they know about but gets ignored by most because it's been around for so long.

Stephen
  • stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    ...is one of the best. Everybody wants one, even if they are old with lots of miles. There is a large offroad crowd who are looking for high mile wranglers to drop Chevy V8's into. Plus there's the whole "need a snow/cabin vehicle" crowd, and then there's the fact that it is popular with the younger crowd looking for cheap transport.

Resale on this gen wrangler will be good, even after the next gen comes out. Each Wrangler model has it's loyal following and accuses newer models of "going soft." That helps resale of the older gens.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the eloquent reply - I could never have come up with such good words, even though I totally agree with them!

Example of resale values - Edmunds rates the TMV higher on my '98 Wrangler than on my 2000 Tacoma.
    I did not realise that the Wrangler had such a high resale value. Frankly, I had the impression that the Wrangler was essentially a relic from a bygone era and that time and tide had passed it long by, except for a few quirky individuals, who still stick by it....pleased to know that it still retains such a high value. :-)) I don't think I would purchase it however, resale value notwithstanding. A high powered Porsche Turbo or an STi, is more my style, even though in the final analysis, I might skip the Porsche and save the money and go for the STi (minus the rear wing). :-))

Later...AH
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    As they say, different strokes. Now I'm a person who has a Wrangler and wants a WRX to go with it - they both their "thing" very well, and they both are lots of fun to drive (though not in the same places or at the same speeds).
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    Am currently driving an Audi 225TT. Have always wanted a wagon. And now that there are all of these sport wagons on the market now seems a good time to switch. I test drove the WRX wagon and loved it (although the interior leaves a little to be desired - but not bad). I think I might be willing to give up the power for something like the TS wagon. What are anyone's impressions on comparing the the WRX and the TS? Aside from the obvious difference in power.
    Believe it or not, the wrangler in stock clothes is not as good as everyone makes it out to be. I offroad roughly 1x ever 2 months here in the NE and everytime we go out some stock wranglers come along. They are always the first to get stuck. HOWEVER, there are some very in-expensive and widely available lift kits and tire upgrades that make the wrangler an excellent offroad vehicle. Stock for stock though they aren't as good as people would think they are.

-mike
  • jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    ugly1, is there a reason why you are leaning toward the ts wagon and not the wrx? I have had my wrx wagon for 5 months now and absolutely love it. I find myself wanting to run errands now just for the chance to drive it. It has already hauled two large area rugs and several 8' shelves - so the utility is there as well as the fun. Even a business trip that took me 1300 miles in 18 hours was exciting, not to mention comfortable and without fatigue.

I can't imagine having less power that a non wrx engine would provide- and like others here would jump at the chance for an sti wagon.

The interior issues are really a non issue to me. Once I actually got the car, driving it is all that really mattered.

John
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Better tire/wheel combo=better handling=more fun
    6 disk changer
    Map lights (small point but i love them)
    keyless entry
    fog lights
    4 wheel disks
    side airbags
    nearly = gas mileage Yes I know the wrx is premium but I have honestly gotten as high as 30 mpg highway and constantly get at least 27 highway
    insurance is not a problem, only $50 higher per year than my previous '98 Forester
    and of course its not "your father's Subaru" factor,
    cult car, eh?

TWRX
    In addition to what is mentioned above, the WRX also comes with a rear Limited Slip Differential that the TS lacks.

If it is an Automatic TS vs an Automatic WRX, the AWD system itself is completely different between them. The WRX has a Dual Planetary Gear Center Differential in its AWD, that works along with Electronically controlled Transfer clutches, while the TS lacks a center differential and only has the Electronically controlled Transfer clutches. Big Difference there ! The Automatic WRX drives with a rearward power bias in non-slip conditions (45/55 front/rear) and can transfer almost all its power to either axle, if conditions demand that. The Automatic TS on the other hand, drives with a heavy Front Wheel power bias and can transfer only upto 50% of the power rearward, through its transfer clutches.

If it is manual TS vs manual WRX, then the basic Center differential is the same - A viscous coupling unit, and the power split is also the same at 50/50.

Later...AH
    Paisan, Compared to other vehicles straight off the lot, I think the wrangler holds it's own. But, it makes a HUGE difference to get some beefer offroad tires. I learned my lesson when I took my wrangler offroad about 6 months after I bought it and proceeded to get it high-centered in a boulder field. Fortunately, the wrangler is so light, that I just had a buddy sit on the rear bumper to get traction, and we were off in no time.
    I had already been told about getting better tires if going off-road a lot. I'm thinking about 31" Mudders from BF Goodrich (as the tires I have now get more worn though). I could do 31" w/o any lift. If I did a lift at all, it would only be about 2". At the very least, I'm glad I went w/the 30" wheel pkg even though the tires (Goodyear Wranglers) leave a lot to be desired off-road.

Stephen

Stephen
    It's not "bad" stock, but compared to say a 4-runner, Montero, Trooper, TLC it's not as good stock v. stock. Like I said some very cheap and easy mods (lifts are dirt cheap on them), tires and lockers and you are good to go.

One incident I remember clearly was a guy with these beefy tires on his near-new stock wrangler @ Rocky Mount Trail in Uwharrie National Forest in NC. A stock ~97 Trooper went right up the hill on his street tires, the wrangler got high centered, and all kinds of trouble using a similar line.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Judging from your post, it looks like you haven't test driven the TS. The hp would be a major factor to me. Although, I came from a 137 h.p. Outback Sport so there was a bigger gap in h.p. It was tough getting back into that car after test driving a WRX. :-)

I wouldn't let any differences in the Subaru all wheel drive systems affect my purchase. As a matter of fact, the owner of my dealership doesn't let it affect what he drives. His wife drives an LL Bean, which has the same AWD split as the TS. Some are more advanced than others [VTD, VDC, LSD, etc.] but all are very effective.

-Dennis
    Hmmm... this is starting to turn into a WRX/Wrangler board...

I did a little offroading with a friend of mine that had a Tacoma (same underpinnings as the last gen 4-Runner, I think). He seemed to have a lot of trouble keeping my lines. It seemed like the longer body on his truck tended to bottom out more.

I think the big problem with the stock Wrangler is that although it is very capable, most new wrangler owners (myself included) expect it to tackle absolutely ANYTHING, which of course, will get you into trouble quick...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled WRX program...
    Yeah, Stephen.
    You're only allowed to post that stuff in the Subaru Crew Cafe. :-D ;-)

-Dennis
    The Taco has a lot longer overhang in the rear (most pickups do).

-mike
    it's not my fault...it's Mike's, LOL!!! You know, I always have to get the last word in (oops...did it again ???) :-)

Stephen
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The TS has its own appeal, in that its cheap, efficient, and still fun. I prefer the Outback Sport, with better wheels and tires for not a lot more, plus the roof rack. Both get a torquey 2.5l that has more grunt than a WRX below 3000rpm and uses regular fuel.

I'd buy a WRX wagon, but if it were for my lil' sis, I'd recommend the OBS.

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    If you just want a utility car to get you around in the winter, the TS is a very nice way to go. But if I bought a RS or TS, I'd always be going "man, I coulda have a turbo" and would be eyeing those WRX's.

Seriously, the TS's engine is torquier at low revs but not as smooth overall. And the handling is softer and more rolly-polly all around. Certainly, it loses the edginess that the WRX has that makes it such a fun car to drive.
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    Holy c*%#, did I just see someone use the word neener. I thought only my wife used that word.
    It was me!!! :-) Hey, how's the new truck??

Stephen
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    I can't believe all of the input. Thanks. You people are so active on this board. The last post on the TT board was Nov. 27. So now the question is, should I wait for the '04 wagon? From what I hear there's a heated seat and moon roof option? And it arrives in March? I'm guessing pricing will be about the same? Thanks again for all the input.

John (Ugly1 is in reference to the TT from the term, It's so ugly it's beautiful)
    Yes, I would wait if it were me (and if you can). I knew the WRX was going to be redesigned some time ago but I still wanted to get the '03.
    My lease was ending and I just *had* to get more power. :-)
    I love the heated seats, side view mirrors and heated windshield in my wife's Outback. There will probably be a slight bump in price IMHO.

-Dennis
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Although we know for sure that the moon roof and winter package will be available options on the sedan, there's some questions as to whether they'll be available on the wagon. even Subaru of America reps don't seem to know, and may not until the cars arrive. No one's sure about pricing, either, though most doubt it will change much. By the by, our Toyota van has heated seats and it's been under 20 degrees here recently; there's nothing like toasting your buns on a cold winter morning.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Mmmm... heated seats
    I'm truly missing them. Gotten spoiled by Al' Gator ['98 OB]. The yearn for it grew more so last night in paisan's bus. 13 degree F "aw.... ah.... mmm... nice toastie toosh".

Missed the heated mirrors too. :(

I'm sure it will too be available on the wagon.
    You should still be able to make it available if otherwise.

-Dave
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    John: yes, I'd wait. I happen to love moonroofs, so why miss out if you like them too? The heated seats are another bonus. I'm glad to see more substantial items on the options list, instead of just "fake carbon fiber trim".

Even if those options are not offered, which would surprise me, you still get the updated look and the new engine tuning (for better low end torque, supposedly). The new headlights and taillights look better IMO.

-juice
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Moonroof will likely add some weight. I received a brochure in the mail on the 04 model and the torque and horsepower figures are identical to previous years. Peak HP and peak torque are at the same rpms (227 hp @ 6000, 217 lbs @4000). I don't know if that necessarily means that it couldn't start to kick in earlier, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that the motor will be slighly improved.
    It was either the JDM or Euro WRX's that reported some better response down low.

-Dennis
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    I certainly hope the moonroof and cold weather package are available on the '04 wagon. I'm holding out for a new one as well. I'm also hoping they do whatever was done to the overseas engines as well for that extra power down low. If not, oh well, at least I'll have a warm toosh and a view of the sky above my head!

-Ian
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The JDM model definetly got some engine improvements to improve low-end response. I recall reading somewhere that the turbo feels like it kicks in about 500rpm lower than the previous model.

However, I don't know if the US model will get the improvements. The JDM model uses a slightly different engine.

Ken
  • subwaysubway Member Posts: 2
    Ever since I bought a WRX Wagon I am facing a headache that I never felt with my previous car, a Honda Civic. At the stop lights all kinds of cars try to race me. They try to cut in front of me usually in an aggressive manner. They will overspeed excessively just to get ahead of me. All the while I will be driving in a normal fashion, i.e, respecting the speed limits and showing common courtsey to fellow road users. I am exasperated at these "kids" some of whom drive souped up pickup trucks, SUVs and the ocassional Audi. It's tough to maintain a cool demeanor in such circumstances. WRX drivers on the other hand, I observed, tend to drive leisurely with not a worry in the world.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    That's one of the reasons I'd get the wagon instead of the sedan. I don't want to be noticed, but still want the fun factor! The WRX wagon is really the only sleeper you can buy these days.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    someone last spring who holds a very important position in the federal government, and who also owns a WRX. He commented on the same thing. We laughed over it.

Bob
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    subway-
    They have something to prove I guess.
    I call it dire need to mask a deficiency 'bout themselves.

-Dave
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    OK. I finally did it. I test drove a WRX Wagon. WOW! That about sums it up. ;-)

I really liked it. It was much more responsive than I was expecting in regards to low end acceleration. Then again I'm coming from a pretty anemic Honda Civic. It was surprisingly smooth and quiet on the freeway. The standard stereo sounded great (that coming from an admitted NON-audiophile). Also felt very well balanced in some twisties I found. Definitely a great car.

-Ian
  • mkarpdmkarpd Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote on an 03 wagon for 500 over invoice ($22,800 roughly). Does anyone know when for sure the 04 will be available? Is the MSRP going to increase with the new style? I am going to need a new ride soon, not sure how long I can wait.
    I test drove a sedan a few months ago, any diference with the wagon?
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    subway: That deserves a LOL! Many WRX owners apparently know what they have and don't need to take the bait and prove it. I'd have to say that SoA hit the nail on the head with their current WRX print ad campaign: "Careful where you point that thing."

Ed
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    As it is on topic, I will share a story my father emailed me yesterday. He knows I want to get a WRX (he used to Road Rally Audis in SCCA and raced all manner of cars from MG Midgets to Mustang GTs on SCCA road courses -- so he is partly to blame for my desire for a WRX!).

He related this tale which has the message, if you buy a WRX, you have to use your super powers for good . . . .

:-)

My father drives a Lincoln LS. Here is his story:

"I meant to tell you about an encounter I had recently with a black WRX here in Michigan. We were both eastbound on Ottawa Beach Road and it was a bit slippery due to a snowfall that had occurred a hour or so before. I had caught up with him and passed him and then the road curved fairly hard to the left, by the bakery, so I had my hands full getting around that corner without sliding. I made it but clearly I was taking a chance. He must have seen all of this as a challenge because he really sped up to catch me. I saw that and upped my speed some more. Now he must have really felt challenged because he raised the ante ( speed ) again. He finally caught me just before a stop light so he then had to get on the binders big time to not run the light.

The point of all this is that he seemed to believe it was his duty to uphold the WRX's reputation. Therefore if you get a WRX eventually, expect to be challenged because there really is no such thing as a sleeper to the automotively aware."
  • nine51nine51 Member Posts: 77
    Happens less with the wagon, but I know what you mean. I usually just give them a bored to tears look, and mouth the words "don't waist my time". It usually ticks them off and they do something dumb. I'm not risking my license or my car because of some wanna be boy racer.

02WRX Wagon
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    your father is lucky he didn't wrap his LS around a pole.

everyone knows the stats on paper. in the real world the "winner" is usually whomever is dumber and bolder, not who has the best machine or is even the best driver.

-Colin
  • rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    This really points out a dilemma faced by all us
    WRX drivers. We want to have a little fun and enjoy the many delights this car has to offer (or why bother owning one?), but we don't want to drive in such a way that makes us look like total jackasses-- or worse, gets us into a bad wreck or creates a dangerous situation that might get others hurt.

Personally, I think all these guys want to race us
    because there is a certain mystique about the Rex.
    We're the new kid on the block and they want to see how good we are. Seems to me it's a kind of a compliment in a way. So, if the coast is clear and it looks safe, I usually oblige them with a little demonstration of what the Rex has to
    "offer". They invariably show a little more respect after that ;-)
  • epp1epp1 Member Posts: 48
    ...I work in a Mpls suburb where the high school kids drive more expensive cars than I do. Inevitably, at lunch time or on my way home some kid in a late model Whatever, wants to roll.

Honestly, I try my best not to take the bait - but I am a weak man in that respect.

Point in case, three Eminem wannabes in a tricked out Audi 1.8T pulled up next to me trying to "mad-dog" me at an on ramp red light. It was on...from 1st to halfway through 2nd gear RPMs - then I just walked away up to about 75mph (in a 65mph zone) and I tapered it down to the speed limit.

Of course, these kids felt the need for a 90+ "fly-by" to theoretically show me up even after having their collective asses handed to them 10 seconds prior by a station wagon with bike and ski racks on top!

All I could do was laugh...

Forever contemplating pulling the trigger on a host of Godspeed parts upgrades. Honestly, I do not "need" a faster car, then again, I didn't "need" to trade in my wife's Accord for the WRX...

29 going on 16,

Sean
This discussion has been closed.