Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    The seat is snug and comfy like the '03s.
    I would say it felt a tat more comfy from changed upholstery material.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Not only new headlights.

The Whole front clips (A Pillar forward) is re-designed in the '04 Impreza. It is even more ridgid than before.

-mike
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    They are comfy. Best seats I've had.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    One of the few reasons I ended up going with the WRX over a Maxima. The WRX seats are superior to the Maximas. After taking a 6 hour trip, no complaints, no soreness in the back.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Have taken a number of long trips in the WRX and I have absolutely no complaints at all about the seats. They are just fabulous. A bit more lumbar support would have made them perfect.

Later...AH
  • cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    I agree w/ AH. The seats are good, even on long trips but some lumbar support would be appreciated.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    There are a lot of choices... but you have to decide first of all how loud you want the sound to get. I've heard the STi, and Prodrive exhausts, and they're really quiet. They're barely louder than Stock. I have a custom 3" turbo back exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. It's not as loud as a straight pipe, but the sound is very deep, easily setting off car alarms. check out this page for some sound clips:

http://chrislehr.com/garage/WRX/sounds/

You should probably head out to some local WRX meets and see what others have on their car before making a decision. A lot of people at meets wish they'd heard how a particular exhaust sounded before they got it on the car...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 2004 seats are a little wider, and have built-in headrests. I like the current seats so the change may or may not be considered an upgrade, depending on your size.

The tach is moved to the center, also, and the antennae is embedded in the rear window. The front and rear get the cosmetic changes already mentioned.

I like it, of course I also like the old one.

-juice
  • javaswingjavaswing Member Posts: 24
    When will the 2004 WRX be available? Thanks
  • keithllb1keithllb1 Member Posts: 30
    I saw the preliminary road test reviews of the new Lancer Evo, and the stock WRX, and the writer did mention that the WRX seats were much more comfortable. The 2004 STI wasn't tested. I will say that my stock tires are lacking in the tread dept. After a summer of autocross and hairpin turns at gut busting speeds.

I'm going to run with nice rally tires next winter if the El Nino thing is still in effect for the east coast.
  • jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the link on the mufflers.

John
  • socprofinblrexsocprofinblrex Member Posts: 18
    I drive from the city out to the burbs to work at a community college. Taught my day courses and had an evening course to boot on Thursday, so my WRX wagon sat in the same open parking space for 11 hours. Road salt and dirt this time of year make the black finish even harder to keep clean, but I don't mind so much - makes it look like I took it out on some country roads!

But, alas, some student (no separate parking for faculty) left a nice scrape across the left corner rear bumper with their white car. No note of apology let alone personal bio info to contact them in case there would need be any claim made. Woe to the student who walks from my classroom to their car with marks of black paint on white and pushes any of the wrong buttons in class!

Mostly, it seems the glossy finish is scraped with only a bit of white scraped into the finish and with all the dirt, its hard to really tell. I'm bummed!

I'll wash her and take a closer look, but I wondered [short of getting into co-pays to insurance to repaint and/or having a new bumper (I doubt there is that kind of damage)] what practical, self-help steps I should consider to clean it up and/or address the cosmetic damages should be?

Thomas from Minneapolis
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    try 3M swirl remover, it might take the traded paint right off without touching your clear coat, if you were lucky.
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Took my car to a quickie oil change place earlier this week. It looks like they overfilled it (with Mobil 1 no less.) I'm guessing they put 5 full quarts in. It's difficult to read, but both holes on the dipstick are definatly covered and the oil goes up above the notch to nearly to the first twist on the stick.

Anybody know how serious of a problem this is. I'll probably take it in Monday to have them drain it, but it's been like this for a week.
    I'd have them drain it. Even if they re-use the same oil (just make sure the drain pan is clean).

-juice
    could just be a problem reading the dipstick? Let the car sit for a while, letting all of the oil drain to the pan, then be very gentle with the dipstick on the way in and out, so it doesn't scrape the sides of the tunnel. that should give the best reading.

of course, this comes from embarrassing experience :)
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    just finished the deal on the phone for an 03 wagon, white, w/pop group, stereo group, and armrest for 22,040= $800 under invoice. Not bad. This was at Albany Subaru by Berkeley,CA. Maita in Sacramento where i live was scared to get close to that. Cant Wait.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Great price given all the equipment you got.

-juice
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    I thought it was too good to be true but they have 15 wagons and wanted to clear them out. I went to one in Sacramento and 3 out of the 4 had big scratches on the hood. I guess some one did not like them. Should be getting it tomorrow, I hope.
  • j0elboyj0elboy Member Posts: 32
    I jsut left this address on the forester board, but cannot resist, forgive me if it's been posted previously.

Check out the great looking WRX Sport Wagons on:

http://www.spimotorsports.com/TokyoAutoSalon.htm

Gentlemen, start your drooling...

j0elboy
  • j0elboyj0elboy Member Posts: 32
    I jsut left this address on the forester board, but cannot resist, forgive me if it's been posted previously.

Check out the great looking WRX Sport Wagons on:

http://www.spimotorsports.com/TokyoAutoSalon.htm

Gentlemen, start your drooling...

j0elboy
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    while I go find a towel to soak up some of this drool.... ;)

Thanks jOelboy!
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    that the WRX is big enough for a family of four that includes two real young kids (6 months and 21 months). My wife and I love the car but can't help feeling it's just too small. Figure the rear leg room won't matter for few years. Mainly worried about lack of cargo area with rear seats in place especially.

All rationalizations, hallucinations and aftermarket rooftop storage device suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.
    As much as I'd like to, we have 2 kids, similar ages, and we find the Forester is a bit tight, our Legacy generally a better choice. I can't imagine going smaller, not with the way we pack.

How 'bout a turbo Forester in June? 235 lb-ft can't be too bad.

-juice
    Have you been talking to my wife? She said the same thing. Sounds interesting but I've never been able to overcome the Forrester's looks. Silly objection, I know. The '03 is much nicer looking. Maybe they'll stick some flame decals on the turbo so I won't notice the rest of it.
    When we went shopping, I pointed to a gorgeous blue WRX wagon and she chuckled. I couldn't even get her to sit in one.

The trick would have been to get her to drive it...

I'd seriously consider the base H6 (new model and much cheaper than the LL Bean) or wait for the Legacy turbo.

Or what the hay, buy a big fat roof carrier and just leave it on all the time.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    For a family of four, I would also think the WRX wagon would be getting a little small. Even though leg room isn't an issue, car seats probably will be.

The Forester would give you a little more cargo room, but passenger space is the same (although taller).

Wait a little more -- we're anticipating the intro of a turbo Legacy!

Ken
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    My wife (who has rather long legs, poor me) has far more legroom -front and rear- in the '03 Forester than what she finds in the WRX wagon. There's more toespace under the Forester's front seats, too.
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    What does your wife drive? Maybe you could put her in a minivan or SUV, and that would be the "family car". While the WRX would be the "fun car".
    She drives our '00 RS sedan and has plenty of room until she moves over to the front passenger seat. My '01 Prelude makes a better long-legged (literally) companion for distance driving.

She really likes the Forester, and just might jump on a turbo version, but we just paid off the RS and are saving for a new house.

She's already keenly aware that my next car will be a WRX wagon, but given that Hondas run forever, it may be a while.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I have a wife and two teenage step-kids. I haven't needed a car seat in it, but before I got my WRX wagon we took most trips in my Outback Sport.

The back is a little tight, but everyone was reasonably comfortable. I used a soft cargo carrier for the OBS and recently bought a Thule Excursion to go on the WRX. Haven't used it on the Rex yet, but we used it on her Outback and it was great. Although they claim more compared to the previous gen. Impreza, the cargo area seems a bit smaller in the 02/03 Rex.

-Dennis
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I bought my wagon about a year ago for fun, reliability, comfort, and practicality. It has not disappointed me at all - a really exceptional car. I never expected to actually drive it on white stuff, much less ice.

Well,I got caught on the other side of Dallas when the ice storm hit. The drive home was hell having to manuever around all the vehicles that couldn't make the hills, and trying to dodge rednecks with pickups.

I never had any hint of problem with traction and I had no idea what I was doing. I can see why people get overconfident in these things. Nice car.

Mike
  • jmgregory5jmgregory5 Member Posts: 48
    I was in the same boat as you are now. We have 3 kids, a 7 month old, a 4 yr old and 7 yr old. One infant seat, one booster and the 7 yr old fit in the back of my wrx wagon.

Not to pretend that they aren't squished in there, but they enjoy the ride too much to complain. Like manavi said, perhaps your wife could get a minivan for kid hauling and you get the wrx for hauling period. Our family car is an Odyssey.

My wife jokingly asks how I got away with buying a sports car, when we could have used something more practical. Life is full of practical decisions, get the wrx and enjoy driving!
    John
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing the purchase details. Will you be changing your user name to "gottawrx" now? ;-) We look forward to hearing about your delivery experience. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • socprofinblrexsocprofinblrex Member Posts: 18
    This came up a couple of weeks ago. My two cents:

I have two daughters, ages 9 (born in 1993)and 13 (born in 1989). They are growing up while riding in the backseat of Subarus:

My current car - Black WRX wagon (2002)
    Ex's current car - Blue Impreza wagon (2000
    My Last car - Blue Impreza Outback Sport (1997)
    Car prior to that - Red Impreza Wagon (1993)
    Car before that - Red Loyale Wagon (1991)

When we had the 2nd child, we bought the 1993 Impreza wagon. We purchased a topper for longer trips requiring more gear, but only needed it sporadically. We have had a dog that went along on a few occasions and sat in the rearend.

Maybe we pack light; maybe our children's needs for personal, physical space have been denied through the years; but we have stayed at the size and type of car we have had because of cost, efficiency of operation, and the ability to still have room enough to get the job done.

I'm not saying a larger car (Legacy, Forester) wouldn't be even more comfortable if we could have more comfortably afforded it in previous years, but even when I can afford them, we are accustomed to and grow to find that we fit fine in the WRX and other Impreza wagons.

Decide what you must have for room. Decide what you feel you must have for room. Decide to meet the "must" factor in your purchase. Decide how often the "feel you must" factor should be a part of our decision. The fun factor of the WRX and the fact that we had already done much childrearing using this size car made those decisions easy for me, but everyone must decide for themselves.

Thomas in Minneapolis
    "Maybe we pack light" => understatement of the year.

I congratulate you on your phenomenal discipline when you pack. :-)

We're about the opposite. The wife wants to take the bathtub with us when we travel with the infant. Double stroller, back pack carrier and snugly, port-a-crib, oh, and luggage.

I usually can stuff in a tiny backpack with all my stuff in it! LOL

-juice
  • gottawrxgottawrx Member Posts: 18
    Went from Wanna to Gottawrx. Got the car from Maita in Sacramento after they changed their mind about matching Albany's $800 under deal with 3.9 fincanceing. Mr. Maita called me after i left him a mess. telling of my experience. So the Sales Mgr. first said 400 under, i said no and then they called back saying how about 800. Due to convience i went with Maita. 250 smile induced miles down and more to go. This car is nice.

Mark
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Thomas in Minneapolis- Bravo! Cars are just like closets or refrigerators, your needs tend to expand to fill all the available storage space. I think most people would be amazed at what they can really do without when limited to a certain amount of space.

Juice- I hate to tell you but your wife could easily fill an Excursion if you let her. On the other hand, if you owned a WRX wagon, I think you'd be surprised at how well you could still manage.

-Frank P.
    She could fill a Semi if we could afford one and I could drive it!

"But honey, what if I want to wear your 1986 letterman's jacket", she says.

"Hon, uh, it's August"?

-juice
    For the encouragement. We currently drive an Accord and a full size, regular cab pickup. The Accord is obviously the kid-hauler, but I don't see it as much more useful for that as opposed to the WRX wagon. One of the reasons I love my wife is she will not even consider a mini van (no offense to those who have them). Getting her to give up her Integra for the Accord when the first kid arrived was difficult.
    She's grudgingly considering the Forrester and might wait to drive the turbo. I think this could work. It's true that the junk expands to fit the available space. Plus these kids can't even talk yet so I don't see why we should let them dictate what kind of car to drive:) If we do get it, I'll never get to drive it either.

Thanks again.
    Get a WRX for yourself and the kids, then if she can't pack light she can drive the pickup with all the gear and follow you! ;-)

Kidding. My guess is you'll end up using the wagon for trips, the Accord for day-to-day, mostly due to the bigger back seat.

-juice
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    Maybe I do need to get the WRX wagon. I have tremendous difficulty packing light. Could I say my psychologist recommended the WRX to help me overcome my need to bring ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING when I travel? Hmmmm.... this could work. ;-) LOL!

Mark - Congrats on the new car and username! Keep us posted on your efforts to keep the revs down for the next couple of weeks! ;-)

Still wanting a WRX but waiting for a turbo Legacy wagon in Seattle.

-Ian
  • subie_wrxsubie_wrx Member Posts: 15
    My girls are 6 and 9 and they love the back seat of the rex. They didn't like my 328i which was more cramped, and they hated a saab 9-3 I shopped. Their first choice was the WRX, even over a Forrester.
     My wife and I are fairly short, so there is OK but not great leg room. I also carpool 3 6 year olds and they are tight but happy.
    we use the van for trips and when we have to pack a lot of stuff, but I'm amazed at how much the rex can haul.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Finally looked at some pics of the turbo 2.5 Forester that's coming for 2004. I have to admit, that big sunroof and added oomph from another .5 liters of displacement down low is appealing. Anybody know if the 2.5 turbo is coming to the regular WRX?

-B
    I've heard rumblings that it will become the WRX's standard engine for the MY 2007 redesign. It won't be the STi tuning, but should be a big bump in torque over the 2.0L.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    at this point that's just a rumor, mostly perpetuated by me. I think it's just a matter of time before the WRX does get a 2.5 turbo, but nobody outside of FHI or SOA knows for sure, if and when.

Bob
    makes a lot of sense in the North American market, where we don't get taxed for displacement. If they put it in everything, it will be very cheap, and the low RPM characteristics will make the car even more ideal for NA buyers.

not to mention the tuner market, which will eat it up :)
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    IT seems that the WRX will be the only 2.0L turbo in the Soobie line-up by 2005. Hmmm, if the Forester has much better low-end grunt, just might have to put it in the running versus a WRX wagon...

-B
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Isn't a 2.0 litre production model required to satisfy certain professional racing requirements?
This discussion has been closed.