Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    a new downpipe will make the biggest difference and will be non-instrusive. unfortunately since there is a catalyst on it, that makes the legality of replacing it a bit questionable.

purely in theory though :) I'd replace that first but not openly discuss it.

~c
  • barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    I was also thinking of doing either the Cobb or Vishnu reflash down the road, but I'm worried about the reliability and longevity of the car. Someone suggested that I should just go with changing the uppipe and/or the downpipe, but I also heard that if you're caught you can be fined a pretty substantial amount.

JB
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Go with an OEM uppipe and turboback off a STi, has the stock look and won't encourage scrutiny cause it says "SUBARU" on the pipes :)

-Dave
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    Whether it's a reflash or exhaust modification, I think the longevity/damage if there is any will be the same. More horsepower equates to more stress. I used to think 1hp per cc was an upper limit (I'm old enough to remember thinking 1 ci/hp was magical). I still keep myself to that guide but I have made it 1hp at the wheels.
    One good thing is that the low end is so weak that abrupt high stress to the drivetrain can only be done intentionally.

Highest modified wrx mileage I know has over 50K of not so kind treatment (the owner thinks clutches are items that last about as long as tires) and is holding up great.

Other forums mention clutch/trans problems which should be more a factor of the operator. I don't think I have heard of a motor blowing due to reflashes or just up/down pipes.

For those of you on the fence due to reliability concerns, I say go for it if it's just stage 1.

Don
    still operating in the theoretical world :), I definitely would not replace the downpipe if you had to pass California inspections.

there are no inspections whatsoever here in Kansas.

definitely do not throw on a manual boost controller and cold-air intake, though. :)

~c
    Yeah, I'm in California so the inspection would be pretty strict.

The suggestion on the OEM uppipe and turboback from an STi sounds like a good idea. As Dave mentioned, it's still Subaru parts so it might not get scrutinzed too much. But how much performance gain would this have compared to the stock WRX? Has anyone here gone that route?

Thanks!

JB
    Don't look to notice any HP gain(s), you'll be disappointed.
    However, you'll notice some improvement at the lower band and quicker spool [less lag].

The MT will yield better results over the AT :)

-Dave
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Since the greater the turbo useage, the worse the gas mileage one gets with a WRX, wouldn't quicker spooling of the turbo mean poorer gas mileage?

Also, how does the reflash affect emissions?
    the change in turbocharger spool time is only significant at WOT. at wide-open throttle, gas mileage is utterly irrelevant.

~c
    Also, how does the reflash affect emissions?

I won't be going the reflash route to know.
    I do know from others who have that a reflash and one cat have passed NYS emission. California? I'll put up my antenna at the other boards.

Here are some details from someone that has a reflash and one cat.
    You could compare the result numbers with CA's requirements.

mods: catless up pipe, catless downpipe (Bosal), stock 3rd cat, stock resonator pipe, JDM STi muffler, EcuTek reflashed ECU (RalliSpec). I had 93 octane from Shell in the tank.

Emissions Test Limits NYS
    HC 220 CO 1.20

Emissions Test Results
    HC 102 CO 0.22

-Dave
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    From the buzz elswhere, an STi turboback won't add much to speak of over stock. It's the aftermarkets without cats or a single highflow one in the mid-pipe that really boost power.
    I did a lot of research on up-pipes and have a stock (catless) Sti on the way. They add about 10 peak WHP, but more important, move the torque/rpm curve about 4-500rpm lower. That push you start to really feel at 3200rpm now starts at 27-2800. aka better low end grunt.
    I would not have any concerns about adding 25 HP to a Rex, the JDM's come with that much stock. How you drive it will be much more important than 250 crank HP for potential damage.

Nicholas
    STi turboback won't add much to speak of over stock

True if it's a USDM STi turboback, as I do recall seeing a cat under there.

It's the aftermarkets without cats or a single highflow one in the mid-pipe that really boost power.

The JDM STi turboback would do just as good.

but more important, move the torque/rpm curve about 4-500rpm lower. That push you start to really feel at 3200rpm now starts at 27-2800. aka better low end grunt.

That's what I'm looking for, the where the HP/torque is improved rather than 25 or 50 more HP @ 6000 rpms.

-Dave
    the legal way to do this is a big bellmouth downpipe and a 3" high flow catalyst with 3" exhaust all the way back.

I am not sure if the catless uppipe is legal, but if so obviously that as well.

those are the only things, short of installing a different (higher tech) turbocharger, that will make the turbocharger spool faster.

well, besides nitrous. ;) that's less feasible than swapping in a 2.5L shortblock IMO.

~c
    I heard a ported and polished TD04 can do wonders too :)

-Dave
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In most states any tampering with the emissions system is technically illegal. Although in practicality as long as you have a cat somewhere in the system you aren't gonna get a ticket.

I did 2" custom headers on the SVX then a 2.5" exhaust with high-flow cat. :)

-mike
    bah, I'd rather go with a Garrett GT25 at that kind of modification level. although the modded TD04 might escape dealer detection... hmm

~c
    you can replace emissions parts with better aftermarket ones, but not delete. high flow cats are legal. if you install one of those in place of two stock cats and you still pass tailpipe emissions-- guess what, you win. :)

~c
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Maybe in Kansas, here you can only replace 1 for 1 on the cats, legally of course.

-mike
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I finally got 400 miles out of a single tank of gas in my WRX wagon. I've flirted with it a couple times, but now I've done it.

Was accomplished doing mostly highway driving. About 100 miles through Indiana on my way back from the Formula 1 race doing 80-95 with the flow of traffic. Spent about 90 minutes sitting in Chicago in stop & go traffic, and the rest cruising at around 70 on the interstate.

Toward the end I took it easy, but I didn't set out on the tank trying to get good mileage. When I filled up I was at 400.4 miles and it took 14.7 gallons to fill the tank. I averaged 27.2 mpg on the tank. Looks like I could have gone for 425 pretty safely.
    Has anyone heard any reviews or have any experience w/ the Toyo Proxes 4? That's Toyo's new all-season tires. Going to have new tires & rims installed on Saturday, and was originally going to put either Pirelli PZero Neros or Kumho ASX. Both the Pirelli and the Kumhos are back-ordered right now, so someone suggested the Proxes 4.

JB
    that's not bad at all given the driving conditions.

~c
  • yogi29035yogi29035 Member Posts: 16
    I checked my highway mileage a couple of weekends ago when we went up to Montreal. Most of the time I was zinging along at about 80, but boy, my mileage sucked: 24.5.
    I was pretty happy too last weekend that I was to get my best gas mileage thus far. I had a weekend trip to Lake Tahoe and got 393 miles on my tank before I filled it up w/ 14.2 gallons. So I figured I probably averaged about 27.68 mpg. Not bad considering the most I ever got out of a full tank was 358 miles and on average get approx. 310 miles for every tank. And this was on crappy 91 octane California gas.

JB
  • cacciarellicacciarelli Member Posts: 1
    anything new for the 2005 wrx wagon and when will it be out
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    New:
    Auto climate control
    Better security
    New muffler (or tip?)
    Better security
    Different steering wheel
    New interior
    Did I mention better security? :-)
    http://www.subaru.com/servlet/research?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX- _SPORT_WAGON&command=photos

-Dennis
    Any truth to the rumor of the engine being slightly more detuned with the new WRXs? heard this but did not believe this.

Added security?

Muffler - thought this was just a different tip, but could be wrong.
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    getting 400 miles on a tank, you must have been drafting, I can't get close to 300. neato.
    So this morning I had to shuffle cars around because somebody's borrowing part of my driveway and I parked the wrx on the street for a few minutes while moved cars around, my street is a hill, though my driveway is flat.
    I rarely have occasion to park on hills, so I don't know how long this has been going on.
    Anyway, out of habit, I never put the e-brake on because once a long time ago in the winter, my ebrake cable froze up and got me stuck, so I vowed never to do that again. Anyway, I put the car in first, turned off the engine, disengaged the clutch and slowly let off the brake to let the car slowly lean on the transmission/engine.
    and the car stopped, then it started moving a few inches then stopped and started, and kept rocking forward like that.
    really really weird.
    it was facing downhill. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? I can't see it being a worn clutch, the thin only has 22K on it, and it's mostly highway, and I'm not hard on clutches (my mitsubishi had 114K on the original clutch)
    any ideas?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you are facing down hill I would put it in reverse, plus turn the wheel towards the curb.

But why put that stress on your tranny? Parking brakes are a lot cheaper.

-juice
    um, the hill is simply steep enough to turn over your engine. juice is correct as well-- when the engine doesn't turn over your clutch disc and pressure plate are what is keeping the car from moving.

use the handbrake and turn your wheels toward the curb facing downhill, and away from the curb facing uphill. ...just like you were taught many moons ago. :)

~c
  • bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    Normally Japanese mass production cars have new designs every 4 years. How about the WRX wagon? My understanding is this generation came out in 2002.

TIA.
    there's only been two major generations of the WRX, and each of those had (or have had, so far) one cosmetic refresh.

in 1993 the Impreza debuted. in 1997 the hood, grill and headlights changed.

in 2002 the Impreza's second generation finally arrived. initial reaction to the styling was at best lukewarm but it won many fans due to the impreza turbo / WRX finally coming to North America. in summer 2003, 2004 model year WRX STis arrived with a refreshed grill and headlights. fall 2003, the regular 2004 Imprezas had the same look.

so how long until the 3rd generation Impreza arrives? well, it could be a long time if history is any indication. speculation and rumor point at it arriving in 2006 or 2007, though I personally doubt it.

~C
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Most Japanese cars are on a 5-year cycle. I would expect a new WRX here for MY07.

Bob
    The new, '05 WRXs just had an interior refreshening which might mean another couple of years with either a late '07 launch (fall) or an early '08 launch (Spring of '07?). Who knows? With the Impreza being a major player for Subi now in the US, I am assuming they will follow the design-cycle of other Subi vehicles - Forester and Legacy?
  • bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Could be but I doubt it. That would put it on a 6-year product cycle, which I don't think they'll do. The current generation WRX has been deemed by many worldwide—including Subaru management, to be a styling failure. So I doubt Subaru wants to keep it in production any longer than they have to.

Subaru typically gives their models a fairly significant upgrade on the 4th year of their 5-year product life cycle. That happened with the last generation Forester. With the current generation Impreza that came last year (3rd year, not 4th year) because of the heavy criticism of the bug-eye look of the 02-03 models. This year the Impreza got a mild interior upgrade, nothing more.

Bob
    I'd bet on MY2007, with perhaps a launch in the spring or summer of 2006.

-juice
    Well, one reason not to use the ebrake is because it can freeze. It happened to me once, so I avoid it.
    As for putting pressure on your tranny, erm, exactly what are you doing when the car is in first gear at 5000 rpm. I daresay there's a lot more stress on the tranny at moments like that...
    I see your point, and on steep hills, I do use my ebrake, but like I said, I was just moving cars around and it wasn't a terribly steep hill. I didn't hear anything, but it was like some part of the tranny was catching then letting off then catching again. Maybe it's some part of the slipping differential and it's supposed to do that, I know my clutch doesn't slip, this isn't like slipping, it's freefall until it catches.
    I was wondering if anybody here had a moment, they may want to try it. I'm going to try facing uphill instead of down and try the opposing gear like you mentioned.
    Nobody else finds this curious behaviour?
    nixomose,
    I think it is your engine turning over. The catch release sequence may be due to the compression cycle of certain cylinders. If you turn a motor by hand you will feel there are sections of more resistance. Our lower compression engines along with small displacement in a relatively heavy (for 2.0 liters) car may make it easier for gravity to turn the engine.
    I do not think the ebrake will freeze unless it's cold and wet outside...if it does in warm weather, there is something wrong with the system.

Don
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I had an emergency brake freeze up once but that was only after the car had been parked for a couple of weeks at the SF airport in the middle of winter (cool & wet). However it popped free after driving a few feet.

-Frank
    My friend with the ancient VW carried a hammer in her trunk. On a regular basis the parking brake would freeze up, and we used to bang on the wheel lugs to loosen it off. Got quite good at it with practise.
    They do make grease for brake pistons that is resistant to heat, FWIW.

Lube it up!

-juice
    There is the wet water frozen E brake which is much harder to loosen and the ungreased or above freezing temp, damp and rust together type which usually pops free by moving the car.
    I had a 71 VW bus that froze the ebrake whenever it got wet and freezing. Turns out the freeze can happen on the cables.
    Don
    I will check the engine turning option. The symptoms fit the bill, I just wouldn't have expected it (although it makes me nervous that I might have caused the engine to spin backwards)

As for the ebrake, yeah it was winter and an old rusty cable.
    I'd discontinue the behavior, but I also wouldn't loose sleep at night worrying about how you used to park. :)

~c
  • elfosterelfoster Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a WRX - either the Sedan or the Wagon. One thing that I don't like much about the Wagon is the roof rails. My question is... Is it possible, feasible, and/or easy to remove the rails? I am not interested in removing the flush strips like what are on the sedan, just the rails that are above the roof line.
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Yes, it can be done and people have done it.
    You have to remove the headliner to get to the bolts and after taking off the rails, you have to oder some parts to cover up the holes left over. Can't tell you the part number now because a certain forum is done, but when it comes back up, you should be able to search for it there.
  • gottawrxgottawrx Member Posts: 18
    I have had my 03 wagon driver side hand grab handle looked at 2-3 times and they cant stop it from raddling(sp?). The pass. side does not do it. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Mine did it at first, but was fixed the first time I took it in. No trouble since.
  • gottawrxgottawrx Member Posts: 18
    Volkov- do you know how they fixed it. They replace mine the first time and then they just said they tightened the screws the second. Still rattles on bumpy roads. If i just hit it with my hand it also rattles.
This discussion has been closed.