Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I figured it was...he was unsure...

Can't wait to get my cay back...I'm going in to the shop to check on it first thing tomorrow morningl....

then it's upgrade time... :)

I'm thinking of putting on the clear protective film on the front...then maybe the cat bypass... :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • sundance1sundance1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading this board for quite a while and its great info so I thought I would post my experience. Placed an order for a 05 v6 a few weeks ago. I was originally considering the t-reg, but decided to switch based on cay ride and potential quality issues/resell of vw, though I wish the cay had more of the std features found in the t-reg.

Dealer says 05 cay has same body style but now has integrated garage door opener, inflatable spare and power rear hatch as std. $1200 base price increase.

Got $3900 off msrp. Limited dealers in area to compete against.
    congrats , sundance....

you'll be dancing a jig when you get the vehicle... :)

I know I did.. :)
    for the info..... :)

have a great weekend.... !
  • jfk663jfk663 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know have any experience installing aftermarket trailer hitches on the Cayenne S? The local So. Cal Porsche Dealer wanted over $800.00 for parts and installation. Does anyone knows of a So. Cal. aftermarket location that installs trailer hitches on Porsches.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    I to have been reading this board and am ready to order a 2005 V8 Cayenne S, wondered what you dealer told you about anticipated delivery target.
    Also to anyone, I again asked my local dealer about the navigation system and he keeps saying the system uses two DVD's I said are you sure, I keep hearing CD's?

I drove a Cayenne S on Saturday and removed the DVD Porsche Nav PCM Software Ver 3.0 disc. (it said Ver 3) from the drive and looked at it. I am not 100% sure, but it looked to be a DVD, not a CD and I am very familiar with DVD and CD differences in appearance as i have the capability to burn each myself. But still I was so caught up in the test drive I would not swear that I was 100% sure it was a DVD.

The car was awesome, no hesitation from stop, fantastic from 0 to 60, it only had 45 miles on the odometer. I am very hard to please and the dealer can not find one on another dealers lot equipped to suit me so I think I am going to order a 2005 tomorrow.
    Go for it , Dennis721 !!!!!
  • bmwx5jimbmwx5jim Member Posts: 9
    You won't regret it. Just took delivery of my Cay S 2 weeks ago and I love it. I am pretty sure it uses a CD drive for Nav. Mine works extremly well. Much better than the BMW Nav and even a little better than the Mercedes nav IMO.
  • dubsterdubster Member Posts: 45
    I have another vote of endorsement. This car gets better each day. I kid you not, this car is unlike anything out there. It`s really in a class by itself. One word of warning. Get yourself a really good device to help avoid speeding tickets. I hadn`t gotten even one pre-cayenne, I`ve gotten Two in the last 2 weeks. Consider yourself warned!!
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    Takes there hand off ! most dealers want 1400.
  • jfk663jfk663 Member Posts: 18
    I had no idea that $800.00 was a good price to install a trailer hitch until I went to the dealer who gave me that quote to get it installed. At that time the service tech advised me that the $800.00 was only for the labor and that the total cost was $1,500.00. Oh well, I don't ride my Mtn. Bike that much anyway, maybe it is ment to get a Roof Rack.

Does anyone have any feedback on the two types of Roof Racks that are available? I am looking to get the full length racks and install a Thule Basket. Is one rack better then the other? Any help would be appreciated.
  • brockwestbrockwest Member Posts: 7
    I had tremendous difficulties with the remote door locker...the dealer said they could change it so that one click opens and closes all doors, instead of having to do the two-click deal. It works perfectly now.
    The rear wiper is known to be easily knocked off. Be careful cleaning the back window manually.
    AirBags are a problem, and Porshe is having to replace a number of them, which involves actually removing the leather from the seats (gulp). I hope the seats do well.
    Triptronic really eats up gas. Gas consumption is HIGHLY reactive to the way you drive, more so in this car than most. Jack Rabbit starts and triptronic causes 7MPG. Reasonable driving causes 14 MPG, a major difference.
    VERY frustrated that paid huge price at dealership for Lo-Jack anti-theft system, then one month later get a letter stating if I want it to WORK, I have to pay another $100 to have it stay on past two years. That's a rip-off.
    Dealer installed radar detector is still fabulous, even the price is ridiculous.
    I've given up on the navigation system.
    Someone questioned about roll-overs...I love this car BECAUSE I can change lanes at high speed in the space of a few feet without sway, I feel very confident against roll-over.
    Black on Black is beautiful, but gets dirty-looking very quickly, and the rims stay dirty from dust. Dealer advised NOT to wax rims, as it will attract dust. Hmmm.
    Very surprisingly poor A/C performance, even at high speed, takes 10 minutes to cool down car, and it isn't even mid-summer yet.
    LOVE the car...best I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few, from my first VW to this one.
    My BEST cars have been this Cayenne Turbo, Olds 98, and Lincoln TownCar.
    My WORST cars have been Jaguar, Cadillac Fleetwood.
    My most beloved cars have been this Cayenne Turbo, OLD VW Bus, Olds 98.
    My most hated car was Cadillac Fleetwood.
    BEST dealer (service) by far: Infinity.
    WORST dealer, by far: Jaguar and Cadillac.
    Best road appeal, pride appeal: Cayenne, Jaguar
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Has anyone tried Rejex on the wheels? Brockwest, you may want to use it for your wheels.
    what's Rejex ? I heard that one should wax the wheels, and now some say don't wax them ? The squeaking sound from the brakes goes away when I use the hose and wash off the dust on the brakes. Cleaning the wheels is a hastle....
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    I have started using the Mercedes wheel cleaner products and it is simply spray and hose off. Does a great job on the wheels.

Another first (perhaps), small display in the instrument cluster on my Cay S had blown. PCM unit is okay but the small display is smeared. Dealer was perplexed. Seems like the whole of the instrument cluster has to be replaced as these are closed units and parts can not be repaired.

I have asked my dealer to see if they can install the Turbo version instead of the Cay S. Turbo one has the color display vs. the dot matrix in Cay S.. Will let you folks know when i hear.

Also learned that Porsche has started supplying the hands free phone kits for the cars but there is nothing available for the cars fitted with PCM unit. Those who do not have the PCM units can check out the kits.
    is a formulation designed by the military to keep the exhaust ports on helicopters (SH-60) clean. The hot exhaust gases bake the debris from the exhaust onto the paintwork makign it a maintainance nightmare.

Rejex applies a very hard coating capable of operating at very high temperatures (jet exhausts). Sounds a bit like wheels and brake dust don't it ?

It builds on itself and after using it for a year on my wheels (4 coatings) I can testify that it makes them much easier to clean.

Take the wheeks off, clean and wipe dry, apply a coating of Rejex. leave it to dry, wipe off when it is, you will notice the smooth finish even then.

They say that you should leave it out of the elements for 12 hrs or so for it to cure fully.

available on-line

p.s. you can also use it over the paintwork at the front to make bugs easier to get off
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And for all the spelling challenged fathers we offer the free edmunds.com spelling checker below! Happy Father's Day - and Happy Summer Solstice too!

tidester, host
    mudman....

I'll check it out. I do not enjoy cleaning the wheels every week.
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear JFK663:

Please see postings 899 and 913 for information regarding Yakima roof racks.
    I just picked up an almost new roof transport system original porsche equipment on e bay for $300, they sell at the dealer for $480. fits on all Cayenne's in the grooves on the roof.
    Meanwhile..... enjoying the ride
    Also, since I no longer have the BMWX5, does anyone know how you can change your handle on this forum?
    The easiest way to do it is to simply create a new user name for yourself and then after you determine that everything is in order just drop me a note and I'll have your old name purged from the system.

tidester, host
    probably go to the hosts and ask them....steve and tides will be able to help you, they're good guys, and they like Krispy Kremes... :)

enjoy your ride... ~!!!
    boy, you are omnipresent....ya beat me to the post ... :)
    Thanks for helping out!

Isn't it your turn to bring Friday KKs this week? ;-)

tidester, host
    yeah, I'll throw in a few dozen....some mixed varieties with a dozen of original glazed...hmmm....! :)
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I have the same issues with the door opener. My wife had our two grandchildren in tow and she was having a world of trouble getting the doors to open with the kids running around the car in the mall lot. She was an unnerved grandmother. No other carmaker has trouble opening their doors. This has become a safety and security issue. She doesn't want all doors opened at once. She wants what she always had with other cars, one click the driver's door, two clicks open the remaining doors.
    Also the use of the use of the horn to signal door locking is negated if you use two keys (husband and wife). The whole situation here is ridiculous since I know of no other car that has this problem. Toureg did but they fixed their problem by repositioning their antenna.
    I really like my Cay S but Porsche is really dragging their feet on this issue. Quality companies don't let things like this happen.

Also my Nav system makes major mistakes. I called 1 800 nav maps to report the problem they told me it was a computer programming issue and I should call the company responsible for the programming. I called the phone number given to me and the result was the phone was no longer in service. I recalled nav maps and they were at a loss as what happened and what to do. Porsche should be concerned about its poor response. Competition can appear out of nowhere.

ps can you correct my call name to "roadtwister." That is what it should be thanks.
    I am at somewhat of a loss. Your saying that all car manufacturers should build everything the same because your wife can't figure it out, is this correct ?

You can programme the car for both keys and turn on/off all door opening. You cannot program 1 click 2 clicks. you can turn the horn indicator off.

I cannot see that what your asking is ever going to happen, this being the case, why did you get, of all things, a Porsche ? Its bound to be different, you are expected to adapt.

There is no safety issue other than an obvious one which others can figure out for themselves I guess.

If you have a problem with the Nav system take it to Porsche to fix, all NavTeq do is supply the map data, and in most cases would blame the manufacturer of the vehicle anyway.

Please describe the problem you have found, I and others may have similar experience and be able to help.
  • thebest2003thebest2003 Member Posts: 8
    Got a call from my dealer that my cay is here. Unfortunately the guy who does the prep won't be in until Monday, so I'm looking at delivery on Tuesday. Right now the car is completely wrapped...I was able to sat in it but nothing else. Hella cool and I'm glad I made the right choice.
  • modelamodela Member Posts: 5
    I have been struggling with the remote locks. I have changed the menu on the dashboard sevarl times to allow the remote to open all doors at the same time. It will work a few times and then revert to the one door feature. Opening one door is tricky, since the second click of the remote opens the doors sometimes but not other times. Hitting the remote again relocks the doors-- I am unable to open them again until the relock "cycles". This is very frustrating and utterly ridiculous. I will be calling the dealer --why should I have to spend time with this? The intelligent engineering went out the window--don't the guys at corporate lock their cars?
    I think you misunderstood. I want to set the door openings to one click to open driver's door second click to open all other doors. All the other cars I have owned have this exercise down. Even my cheap loaner SUV was flawless while my Cay S was in for service. It really isn't rocket science.
    Part of the problem is where the antenna is located, which I believe is in the windshield. When you come up to the driver's door the antenna doesn't "see" the signal. Then you push again and sometimes it takes. But here is the rub if the first one misses and you go to any other door than the driver's door the car is locked. You then push again and everything locks. Now you have to wait for the 4 second delay to expire to start all over again. Not good. Kids are getting restless and dashing around. Toureg had the same problem but went ahead and relocated the antenna. No foot dragging just fixed it.
    In addition the settings for horn signals upon locking are cancelled by simply using husband and wife keys even though both keys are set the same. It is a work around for the Porsche devotees, a computer glich for everyone else.
    The antenna for the remotes are in the rear spoiler, some have reported greater range by un-coiling the antenna, but this will not result in a change in the modes available.

The Cayenne does not have the one click two click method of operation. You either open 1 or all doors.

I would guess you have another issue going on, everyone has range issues but have adapted. The system does work, sounds like either your is not or the user is not used to it yet.
    My Cayenne does have two click option the options are as follows;
    ----OPEN DRIVER DOOR SECOND CLICK REMAINING DOORS----

----OPEN LEFT SIDE DOORS THEN SECOND CLICK OPEN ALL REMAINING DOORS----

----ONE CLICK OPEN ALL DOORS----.

But here is the curve, you can program one key to open all doors on first click but use of spouse's key deprograms that setting even though her key was set for exact same setting as my key. The same thing happens when the key programing is reversed. Essentially it always reverts to the factory default which is one click drivers door second click all other doors. And good luck on the range. Sometimes standing next to the drivers door the click fails. How do you unwind the antenna.

Thanks in advance.
  • peteropnypeteropny Member Posts: 15
    I too find the range of the key remote annoying. Unless aimed right, sometimes it wouldn't even work when I'm right at the driver's door.
    can you correct my call name to "Roadtwister" that is supposed to be my name for Porsche. singerbmw was when we owned a 530i. Thanks
    The easiest way to handle it is for you to create a new user name. Once you've done that drop me an email and I'll have your old one purged from the system.

tidester, host
  • usc5terusc5ter Member Posts: 10
    I gotta go with msingerbmw on the remote key issue. It is absolutely ridiculous how they have managed to f-up something so simple as opening car doors. The most embarrassing moments are usually at valet services when the poor guy accidentally locks my car and he then keeps pressing the lock button trying to open the door not realizing there is a dumb 4 sec cycle. I have to then walk over and explain why my $70,000 car is like this. I use to own a Conv CLK 430 and that car also had a bad range however none of these retarded problems.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Reading your posts reminds me of why I may never own a Porsche, in spite of their positive attributes.

We will be replacing our SUV this fall with a 2005 model. It's 50/50 that we will go with something with a third row seat, but I'm hanging on to the possiblity of a 5-passenger one, so I thought I'd drop in. I'd like something fun to drive, so the X5 and Cayenne are on my list.

Unfortunately, as much as I appreciate Porsche's engineering prowess, I really don't have much tolerance for "you'll just have to put up with ____, since it's a Porsche."

Two and a half years ago, when in the "fun" car market, I considered the Boxster S. My neighbor was also in the market and was pro-Porsche. I confess, after looking at a supposedly $49,900 base priced Boxster S and finding a laundry list of options that took it to $60k+, I wasn't having much "fun". It wasn't the cost as much as the attitude of the dealer. My neighbor bit, and I ended up "skimping" on a $32k Honda S2000 with absolutely no options even available. We recently traded the S2000, but in two and a half years and 18k miles of ownership, we had 4 oil changes, two scheduled maintenance visits, all at a grand total service cost of under $500. Not a single repair or problem. I'd even get calls every few months from Honda North America executives just to make sure I was happy and asking if I had any suggestions for improving the S2000.

My neighbor traded his Boxster S a few months ago. He loved it, in spite of being into the dealership at least a half dozen times for unscheduled maintenance and repairs. He was given $35k on the trade-in, meaning that his cost for 2 years of "fun" was about two and a half times mine. Different strokes, as they say.

I'm not here to disparage Porsche. Maybe I'm just too old or corrupted to want to put badge prestige ahead of a hassle free experience. Unfortunately, Honda/Acura don't have anything fun to drive in the SUV category. So I'll suck up and try to test drive the Cayenne with an open mind, as long as the steering wheel isn't optional.
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    Finally got my handle changed from bmwx5jim to my new handle Jim's cay S. I can't speak to Boxster vs Honda 2000 because I can't fit in anything that small anymore since I am 6'5" tall (although I did drive an Austin Healy bug eyed sprite in my college days), but I can testify that in the SUV class and even in the high end Luxury class, you would be hard pressed to find a more luxurious and fun to drive vehicle. I have owned S class, 745i, Jag, et al, but for 2004, My Cay S has more luxury, amenities, and yes great looks, and we have not even mentioned a blast to drive yet. My key fob works perfectly and has much better range than the MBZ does. If someone is looking for a premium SUV the Cayenne has to be on the short list if one is being honest. If you want something bigger ,there is the Range Rover, but despite the great exterior looks, the interior is a mess IMO. And the ride is like driving an 80's Town car. It is overpriced as well. The Lexus LX is over priced and underpowered as well as looking like the rebadged Landcruiser it really is. The X5 is nice, I traded mine in for the Cayenne, and in my view is certainly worth considering.
    IMO the Navigator is a consideration if you want a huge SUV, and the X5 and Cayenne if you want a Luxury SUV/sports car, and everything else if you want an SUV and don't particularly care about the luxury sport aspect of it, ie Honda, Ford, Infiniti(rides like a truck or older corvette), GM , Chrysler, etc.
    I clearly want to say that the Cay is the best vehicle out there in its class. It is the best by a wide margin. But I do think that the Porsche engineers and marketing department could have an attitude adjustment. Customers are looked upon to be tolerated. The lengths that Honda, Toyota, Lexus go to to satisfy their customers is mind boggling.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I heard somewhere that Cayenne might be available with manual trans. next year? Can anyone confirm?
    although I have had a few Porsches before the Cayenne, it is the best and most luxurious for the money. It has more stuff for the driver than other Porsches. I do agree that their customer service has to improve, and include a wash, good response time, factory engineers available to solve problems, etc...

ON the past weekend trip to Redding, he cayenne was just cruising along at 2200 rpm, between 68 to 75 mph, and I got in excess of 17 mpg. And I was just applying gentle peddle pressure to the accelerator. The cmputer was noting 16.9 mpg, but that was after 2 hrs of freeway, it went/crept up slowly, from 15.8 all the way up to 16.9. I think the computer does not calculate instantaneous MPG, but the average, where if you drive a lot of local roads, and are getting 14 mpg, and then drive freeway, it will be awhile before the computer registers 17, since you have to makeup for all the low local fuel mileage.

The Prius that I was driving ( rental while the Cayenne was in the body shop) had a computer that gave me instantaneous mpg...it would go from 0 mpg (while I was idling) to 99 mpg ( when you are coasting down hill, with engine off, and just gravity moving the car) It calculated every second or so. It also had a average mpg for the total trip. I think Porsche should think about incorporating this feature into the computer.
    spockcat has a toureg, and the toureg owners also have a similar problem with the remote. It turns out that there is a way to move the remote antenna to the door pillars ( A pillar ) and thus get better remote range. He is nice, and will forward the info about moving the antenna...

I'll try to see if I can post it ... :)
    congrats thebest2003 !!

hope you like it .. .. and don't be put off by the small stuff...

:)
    hi habitat....

good to see you here....

I like the Cayenne and recommend it highly, but only to people like you who understands and appreciates performance . Cay may not have the reliability of some current SUVs, but I think the teething pains will be corrected. (hope VW will listen also, since they are responsible for some of the problems...)
  • thebest2003thebest2003 Member Posts: 8
    Took delivery of my V6 last night. Went for a bit of a drive today. Still amazing that it's built like a tank.

PCM has a learning curve to it. The manual isn't very well written so the only way you can learn is just keep playing it.

Xenon light does have condensation.....I've read that's an ongoing problem so should I bring it to the dealer or fix it myself? I'm not confortable to do it myself.....

Bose stereo is good, but not great. Loudness is plenty, but bass is a bit to be desired, consider there's a subwoofer in the back. the mid and highs are very good, though.

Ride quality is better than what I remembered from my test drive. In fact, the V6 has a "softer" ride than the S, due to the lesser weight of the engine. Around town, the V6 is very responsive. Once on the highway, it needs a little more time for power to build up speed compare to the S. It'll only become faster once break ins are reached.

This is my first Porsche. I have to say it's not as easy to learn all the functions compare to a Japanese car. It is a very sophisticated vehicle.....the Germans really showed their ingenuity with the Cayenne.

Before I bought it, I was 50/50 in getting a Tourag V8 or the Cay 6. No doubt that if I went for the T-reg I would of gotten more power and feature with less money. But the thought of owning a Porsche was the tie-breaker. You can't beat the feeling that everywhere you go there are people staring it.
    yes, it will get more smooth and more hp as it breaks in....

other easy to do add ons are a cat bypass, and K&N or BMC air filters... but some people dispute the usefulness. I think with these high powered engines, the increased air flow is a plus...but not so with lesser engines (ie ford escort or yugo engines)

I think you can adjust the bass and the sweet spot for audio enjoyment by using the PCMS.

Have Porsche do the lights, though its not hard to dry out the dessicant yourself...
    :)
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    Welcome to the Cayenne Club! I am enjoying mine immensely. Just got my Cay end of May. Highender is right about Bose adjustments. I am a stickler for good sound and there are the appropriate adjustments in the PCM Audio section. It's also cool to name the CD tracks if you have the changer, a must have IMO. Enjoy!
    (Old handle was bmwx5jim)