Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• zooomzooom Member Posts: 1
    I have 14k on my s and i had it a year, my tires have worn very bad in the front and I will replace them before the bad weather. has anyone ask the dealer to replace the tires for the wear and vibrations?
  • neo5genneo5gen Member Posts: 1
    We ordered a '05 Cayenne (V6) to spec. and got a $3K discount from the manager. If we didn't know the gentleman, it would have only $500.00!!

'05 have increased in price, I think like 2-3%. Also, they have made some of the options as standards.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I'd like to buy a Cayenne V6. I thought that for under 50K I should be able to pick up a new Cayenne V6 with some basic options (moon roof, xenons, and heated seats). Apparently not. The option list on the Cayenne is lengthy. So long in fact that when you show up at the dealer they seem to stock the V6 in implausible option combinations. Does Porche really think many V6 buyers are going to pop $1800 for Bose surround sound? $600 to have the standard leather looked wrestled on and "soft looking"? Or is it a move on the dealer's part to increase the average invoice ("Herbie, Porche may advertize a Cayenne for 44K but we're gonna load these suckers up so no one gets out of here for less than 52K!")

When you ask about ordering a V6 with some basic options (e.g., moon roof, heated seats and xenons) the sales guy's eyeballs roll and you hear strange things about 90 day order cycles, "I'm a slave to Porche's system", "we've never special ordered a V6", etc.

Then the game starts: "well, I've got a V6 over there with NAV, variable steering, titanium package, 19" wheels, and "memory" seats (this is real important on a Porche that in all probability will have one driver out to 100K!) would you be interested in it if we..."

Simply sensibly bundling these options would go a long way to making the process a lot easier and Porche would sell more cars.
  • mheisemheise Member Posts: 1
    I went to buy the x5 4.4 today and ended up at the Porsche dealer. They seem to be making deals on the leftover '04 (CS) but the choices are limited. Question... Is the NAV package worth the $$? or should I get the model w/o the Nav that has the air suspension??? Secondly, I also looked at an '05 V6...and drove that one. It seemed quick enough to me. I am missing out if I don't go for the CS? Is it worth the $$ ?
  • dschukardschukar Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to disconnect the seat belt warning buzzer on the '05 (without fastening the belt)???

Please help.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    yes, many German auto makers have bundle options, as well as a laundry list of individual options.

I recently got a Acura TL, which has all standard, except for trans and navigation.

No long list....

Hope Porsche is listening to this... :)
  • peppertpeppert Member Posts: 4
    Great message board! I hope I can get some help here because my dealer is lost.

About one-quarter of the time, when I am in manual shift, the gear refuses to shift down from 3rd to 2nd. I have to use the tiptronic on the steering wheel to make it shift down.

Frustrating and dangerous as I use the downshifting to slow the car before corners. I have to drive a winding road all the time, so this is an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions for the dealer :)

Susan
    Hi peppert: welcome !!!!

I have not tried to keep the shifter in manual mode, then try to down shift from 3 to 2nd....

maybe I will try it and get back to you...

but remember the gearing of the Cayenne is for very high speeds, and it has plenty of power.

2nd gear is usually enough to start the car from full stop....and that is where the auto shifter begins. the first gear is for heavy pulling/hauling , or offroading. So the 3rd gear works like a 2nd gear of a regular car. If you are trying to slow into corners, shifting from 3rd to 2nd in a Cayenne would be tantamount to shifting from 2nd into 1st in a regular vehicle, something that is not advised. Starting gears are only for giving the initial push, not for slowing the car....IMO.

but like I said, I will try it to see how the car reacts....
    I finally got the service person to ride in the car with me and it acted up right in front of him. Needless to say, thank god, because I know they thought I was little old lady. I am, but....

We drove on the freeway, where I was in automatic at 5th gear. I then pulled the lever over to the left (technical talk) and shifted down to 4th, 3rd, etc. It took three or four tries before it would downshift to any next lower gear.

They are replacing the whole shifting mechanism. It seems to be mechanical, not electrical.

When you say that shifting down to slow the vehicle is not a good idea, I understand what you are saying about the effect on the car. Unfortunately, I have to negotiate a steep downhill road with many sharp curves and if I don't use my gears, I would constantly be braking. You can smell other cars' brakes when they arrive at Stinson Beach.

I am open to suggestions and thanks,

Susan
    Hi peppert:

I think you are correct in downshifting to slow the vehicle on steep hills....

I'm just not sure you need to downshift all the way to 2nd, since that may be too low....but I may be wrong. I am glad the dealer found the problem, and will fix it.....

I'm bringing mine in for regular service and to check the tires...then I'll head out to Muir Woods and Stinson Beach..... I love the area...you are lucky....

I'm in the Eastbay. I'll wave when I see you :)
    Hi Highender,

When you come over to SB, give Panoramic a try on your way back instead of Highway 1. I would love to know how you handle the downhill part. All tips are welcome.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • dschukardschukar Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to disconnect the seat belt warning buzzer on the '05 (without fastening the belt)???

Please help.
  • viggieviggie Member Posts: 16
    Hi!

Got delivery of Cayenne Turbo 2005 on Saturday. This SUV is incredible. Take it from me my husband "forced me" to drive it so I can get use to it, I do not think I ever drove anything that nice ever it does put my ML 320 to shame. Now: We have 19" tires on it that we will have the dealer change for 18" all season Continental tire, since I am the one taking care of the cars it seems better that way since I will not have to go with 4 tires to have it change for the winter. Tell me I am not making a mistake, suggestion appreciated. Also we tried to link the integrated garage door opener to our garage door and we cannot get it going. Anybody experiencing that problem? any tips?

Thank you,
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Viggie,

I am not surprised that it put your ML 320 to shame. Once I drove Cay S, I got out of ML in a heart beat. Cay Turbo is a, I am sure, vehicle from another planet altogether though outside my reach.

Regarding your question on 18" vs. 19", I have a preference for the 18" since it comes with all season rubber. Those in sunny California weather may have preference for the 19" and once I drove (loaner) with 19", I felt that 18" were more to my liking.

Drive both and see what you prefer.,
    Hi svinaik ! long time no talk... :)

welcome , Viggie !!!

Hope your Cay is doing ffine....

I got the 18 in wheels with all season continentals on my cay. the ride was great . Just the right balance of comfort and performance.

I recently also bought a set of ANtera 20" wheels with Falken tires (also Mud and snow rated), but the comfort level went down, performance went up a bit, but probably not enough to justify putting on the 20 in wheels,
    IMO. It could also be the wrong type of wheel, since maybe Porsche original equipment tires and wheels may feel better....

Well, it also depends on if you are interested more in performance or comfort....
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    I opted out of considering a Cayenne S last year because there were just too many issues with dead batteries, locked transmissions, etc, etc. This now seems to be pretty well resolved and the Cayennes no longer seem to fill the service bays at the Porsche/Audi store I use. That said, I wonder how you all feel about the reliability of the current Cayennes? I would also welcome any comments on the seat comfort after a long (2 hr or more) trip.
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I have had no major problems on my cayS that I bought 3.31.04. A few very minor items that were remedied, condensation in the headlights, sun glass holder in front of rear view mirror broken, and key fob quirky. As for the ride it is this side of fabulous for 2 minute to 10 hour trips. Good luck.
    I have had the Cayenne for over 1.5 years now....and not had a single issue of importance. I did break the rear hatch myself (slammed it closed on a electric cord that was still dangling with the metal right at the latch.) And in April of this year some clueless driver opened her car door without looking and damaged the vehicle ($5000 worth, all replaced with original equipment parts) :(

On the issue of comfort, I have taken the Cayenne up to Redding,CA, which is about 4 hours, and was fine.

Down to Los Angeles is about 6.5 hours, and have been in the seat for about 3 hours continuously, before one of us needed the rest rooms.

Up to Lake Tahoe, in Winter, there were no problems at all....just plain fun and no problems in terms of traction, need for snow chains, stability, etc.... :-)

good luck , if you are still considering one...
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the response. I do appreciate it, especially highender's long trip info. I am still very much interested and will almost certainly get an "S" either at the end of this year or early next year when the 05's are in good supply.
  • momdadmomdad Member Posts: 3
    We went to a local Porche dealer to check out the Cayenne and found to our surprise that this dealership dropped the franchise after 18 mos. Here is what has us very curious...the dealer claims that they dropped the franchise because they considered the Cay a piece of junk (always things breaking and in for repairs) and because they had nothing but problems getting parts for any model. They said that the Cay especially had so many problems that they no longer wanted to sell it to anyone (wonder if they believed it so much as to buy any back). Would any of you agree that this is accurate regarding the Cay? We were surprised to hear this and are wondering if it is true or if the dealer just wants to sell us a BMW or Lexus, which he also carries. Any comments welcome!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I always suspect that the manufacturer dropped the dealer when I read stories like that; if nothing else the dealer wouldn't want to lose the franchise to a competitor who would try to cut into its BMW and Lexus sales.

Then again, Costly doesn't mean reliable. (USA Today)

Steve, Host
  • drcjdrcj Member Posts: 7
    The note on "costly doesn't mean reliable" has certainly been true for my Cayenne S. It's been in the shop more than any car I've owned in the last 20 years but the dealer seems to care enough to make things work. When they have the parts they call me and I get in when I can. It has been inconvenient at times and mostly just a big disappointment. The car drives well, is comfortable enough and looks nice. With 10k on the speedo it seems broken in but the service visits have been so often it's silly, a huge waste of time. I do think Porsche makes an effort but I actually considered returning the car to the dealer more than once an they did little to agree to take it back. I am told that the problems I'm having are rare but that doesn't matter much to me at this point. So buyers be sure of your service dept and loaner car availability.
    Thank you Steve for the great and informative links. That made for some interesting reading! We also strongly suspect that the dealership was dropped by Porsche as you mentioned (poor sales, we think) but, of course, they would never admit that.
    Mom & Dad
    Hey "doc",
    Thanks for the low down on your personal experiences with your Cayenne S. We're sorry to hear that you have had such a bad run with your vehicle and we agree with you that at this point it doesn't much matter how rare the problems are with that particular vehicle 'cause the shine is off the penny so to speak. Hope you can resolve the issues once and for all and finally enjoy your toy for all the reasons that you bought it in the first place!
  • jimveejimvee Member Posts: 11
    That's interesting, we just got our S and we have two of the same issues: condensation in the headlights and broken sun glass holder (latch broke off first time I touched it!).

Was the condensation issue a big deal and how did they fix it?

Also, does anyone know if the regular headlinghts can be replaced with the Xenons?
  • bobp7bobp7 Member Posts: 41
    found a leftover '04 S in the mid 50's, list was 65. is the 05 so much more reliable than the '04 that it is worth the difference?
    thx.
    evidently it was an issue, the condensation on headlights. but I personally have never experienced any . I recall that someone last year posted a way to remove the lights, and dry the dissecant, to solve the issue....maybe just have the dealer do it...

headlights can be replaced with Xenons, I saw on the Porsche Excellence magazine that many dealers offer discounts on phone orders,,,,and include the xenon up[grade at discounted prices...so it may be better than your local dealer price.

Unfortunately, many of the design problems seem to stem from the Volkswagon end of the manufacturing process, IMO..... So they may have to beef it up....and hope Porsche can let them know...

:-)
  • madlawmadlaw Member Posts: 7
    I am awaiting delivery of an 05 S, Titanium/Stone Gray. I took the plunge and got the SportDesign/Sport Exhaust. I got 9% off sticker though the car had expensive options like carbon fiber trim I wouldnt necessarily have picked out myself. From what I understand the many of the reliability issues should have been resolved for 05 but we shall see.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    I took delivery of my Cayenne S on October 2nd. I special ordered it exactly as I wanted and they gave me $6000 off of MSRP. I ordered it June 25th. I got $14,600 worth of options including the sport exhaust pipes which really look awesome. Additionally I bought an extra set of wheels on ebay so I will have 18" Turbo wheels for "winter tires" and 19" Cayenne design for summer tires. Dont be fooled the all season continental tires aren't real good in real snow (TIRE RACK REVIEWS) and body repair is expensive. Oh well you only live once! Anyway I haven't had any problems yet, and the new DVD navigation system is far superior to the original CD one. Much faster and everything is on one disc that stays in the DVD unit under the pasenger seat.
    Oh and gas mileage, I dont know if they did anything about the engine/transmission programming, but I am getting close to between 17 & 18 MPG on the highway right off the dealer showroom. Naturally I am not driving it hard yet and I do notice if you get into it a little the MPG drops quickly, but thats why you bought it, not for good MPG's but for seat of the pants fun, right! Otherwise you dont need the V8.
    I have to say this is one sweet performance SUV. I have had many cars and SUV's including the LEXUS 470, and the Cayenne is way beyond anything I have ever owned.
    Truely incredible, quality you can see and feel, the execution is flawless. I recommend the smooth leather interior option and I believv it looks a lot more luxurious than the embossed standard leather. Thats just me though, the look and feel in the cockpit is a big deal to me.
    I considered the Turbo, but I did not want the maintence issues that go with turbos, and I felt the 340 HP performance was enough to satisify my desire to wear out tires prematurely. Tires are a big deal on this car, high performance tires are expensive to replace and are designed to pefrorm and by virtue of that design criteria they can't wear as long as the standard tire on the everyday Ford or Chevy. Silica tread compounds are used in many new high performance tires and while they enhance handling, these compounds wear out fastrer. The 19" Pirelli PZero Rosso tires cost around $ 1100 a set from the tire rack once you get them installed.
    I know I am rambling, but do your homework before you order one, and if you really want a Porsche, dont buy a Lexus or Infinity, in my book there is really no comparison. The Cayenne is KING in my book.
    Congrats Dennis! Sounds like a sweet S. Cant wait for mine, any day now. You got an 04? Glad to hear you havent had any problems, that was my biggest concern. Does the sport exhaust make the car any noiser at idle or highway speeds?
    congratulations, madlaw....

hope you have lots of fun....and let me know how you like the sport exhaust..I am thinking about changing mine too...
    congrats to you too, dennis721.. !!

seems like they upgraded the navigation unit...I think that it is great they did. I still have the CD based one,so it is a pain to have to pop it in once in a while....

I also got the titanium grey color, and like it alot. But my two kid/sons both just saw the Cayenne video...( they sent this out in 2003 , before they released the car) , and in it they had the black cayenne, so both seemed to prefer the black.

they were both amazed that the car could ford small streams....and I let them know that the car doors have special seals that prevent water from entering....but also that one should not ford a stream of unknown depth.

Anyways, they liked the duality of the cayenne...

I would say it is three faced:
    1- true offroader...you can go 4 wheeling, in snow and mud and have the utility of a truck.
    2- true sports car...you can go with the best of cars, even sports cars, on the roadways
    3- luxury car...you can drive it up to a hotel or opera, and the valet will smile....

Thanks to all you guys too, this forum is really valuable. I been reading it for sometime and found it invaluable before I ordered my Cayenne.

Also I sure do agree with you about the multi faceted character of the vehicle. Indeed it does all those things very well.

I did depart a bit from the norm on color, I like red and so I got the red metalic with havana/sand beige interior.

Also in response to your question on the sport exhaust, I can't say for sure, but I believe it does change the exhaust note more like the standard turbo four flute sound.I bought the option more for the look though, pictures dont do them justice.

I got the winter wheels and tires on mine now with the Dunlop Grantreck WT M2 and they really add to an agressive look. I read a lot of reviews on the tire rack about the M2 and they say these really will get you thru deep snow and they are not noisy at all.

thanks again to you highender and all for the valuable info that gets posted on here.

dennis
    your welcome dennis...

I will look into the Dunlop M2s also....since the 'Continentals are very good all weather, but probably do poorly in snow heavy situations....

I have a set of spare 18 " wheels that have the continentals.., but they are nearly worn...

thanks to you also, dennis....
  • geohoundgeohound Member Posts: 5
    Dennis, Glad to hear that you are enjoying your CS. I am still waiting for my C, with manual trans. I ordered it in early June.. ;-((
    Can you tell me your Porsche ref # (i.e 214xxxx), just out of curiosity, I want to try and figure out why mine is still on a boat ! Thanks.
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    It is easy to fix the condensation problem. New dehydration bags in the light do the trick. Now lets see if it stays fixed. The sunglass holder requires a new part but really doesn't work click that well.
    Hi,
    I ordered on June 25th it was built on Sept 2nd, and delivered Oct 2nd.
    2146288. I suspect the manual transmission is delaying yours.
  • geohoundgeohound Member Posts: 5
    Your ref. number is about 600 higher than mine... at least I know my order went in before yours did. That helps. You are probably right, about the manual tranny.. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get it !
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    what going on here ? been real busy of late but still in love
  • mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    I'm interested in the V6, but have heard alot about how underpowered it is and how the better value is the V8 touraeg. I love the styling of the porsche much better (and, quite frankly, prefer to have a porsche than a VW). I looked at the specs which shows 0-60 in 9.1 with auto. trans. I did test drive it and found that it drove very well but did seem a little hesitant. Can anyone give me their driving impressions? I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts that has driven the car over an extended period and not just the 15 min. test drive at the dealer.
    Hi mudman:

we have some more cayenne lovers on board, and this has mainly been informational exchanges about price, purchase, or problems..with many kudos also....

no flamers and no challenges recently....

Finally picked up my 05 S last night. The SportDesign/Sport Exhaust package looks AWESOME! Hard to say if it was worth all the extra $$ but I dont regret it. Champion Motors in Ft. Lauderdale was very professional. They did all of the outstanding service bulletins. My salesperson seems to think the HP might have been quietly tweaked for 05 based on anecdotal reports of extra zip. Wouldnt be the first time...
  • cayennescayennes Member Posts: 12
    New to this forum. Usually on Roadfly. Just wanted to say hi and just got my W516 recall done (reprogramming of the DME computer) and my 04' C S feels like it has a new transmission! Shift is smoother.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Did you happen to notice the 0-60 time in the 6-speed manual V-6? I did hear that the automatic is a bit underpowered, but that the manual transmission helps.
  • carnutincacarnutinca Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone added XM to their Cayenne? I see it is avail on the 2005 (I have an 04). Any help appreciated. Also, what is the W516 recall? The only recall I got was for seatbelts in back seat and mine checked out OK. Purchased in Dececember 2003.
  • stheodd1stheodd1 Member Posts: 18
    Just picked up my new 04 S. What a great machine. Has the adjustable suspension which I really like. List was 63 and change paid 55. It has been raining here in the northeast. Head lights have condensation on the inside. I spoke with the dealer and was informed there is a recall notice and a fix for the problem. Every thing else OK so far. What a machine!!
  • bobp7bobp7 Member Posts: 41
    Hi:
    Has anybody installed an after market navigation system into a Cay S without nav? Does it replace the radio as well? I am thinking about the Alpine, Eclipse or Pioneer.
    Thx!
    bobp7
  • drcjdrcj Member Posts: 7
    A snow tire note, the Dunlop GRAND TREK M2 s 18" are pretty good in the snow, slush and even decent on ice, all the while being fairly quiet for a snow tire. No they aren't as quiet or handle as well as the street tires that came on my C S but the engine/tranny output and heavy weight of the Cayenne made the street Bridgestone ER30 tires worthless in the snow, even when new. I know because I took delivery of my CS last Feb. with some serious snow still happening where I live.

My Dunlops have been on for about 2500 miles and feel decent but are not "N" rated and certainly affect the cornering and highway speed confidence in a negative way but, they are SNOW tires.

I will probably buy these tires again next year unless something with the "N" rating appears that might work as well and handle better. As I understand it, the main difference is load rating and sidewall strength. I keep hoping Michelin or Goodyear will get some tires rated, we'll see! From my past good experiences I'd like to see some of their all season tires available for the C.
    I did not, but I have a friend who did Blaupunkt and it turned out OK>

I have the Alpine in the sub...which I like better than the cayenne stock navigation. More vivid colors, better design, and available remote so you don;t have to lean forward to control it..'

still love the cayenne. I jokingly told my wife we should sell it and get some property, but she and the kids vetoed the idea. currently planning the install of some monitors and XBOX into the car.