Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    thanks drcj....

I hope to hear from you soon. I have some falkens on the C now....but will try to get some either Pirellis or Michelins for road tires. The snow tire I will use up the present continentals (with chains) and maybe take your advice....

thanks again..
  • tiptronic1tiptronic1 Member Posts: 4
    Is this update just for the V8 Cayenne models? Or does it apply to the V6 Cayenne too?

IMO, the Cayenne V6 REALLY REALLY needs this update. It is really sluggish when it's fast ( i know that sounds wierd but it's true).

Thanks a lot.
    dealer and Porsche now about replacing my continentals...since that were almost worn on one side on the front 2 tires....uneven wear....even when car was new....but it drove straight....but the front tires all have the inner sides worm down. prematurely and a result of the vehicle itself, not the tire...IMO....

I contacted dealer, but they said they would only replace it if I had brought the problem up to them in the first year....I said I brought the problem up to them, but all they did was rotate the tires....which does nothing to fix the problem, and exposes the rear, balanced wearing tires, to uneven wear...

bought a set of bridgestones (slightly used from another cayenne owner) whose tires also show this problem....so I am prepared to stand my ground and insist on new tires for my Cayenne....

I'll let you know what happens...and check your tires for uneven wear.....as it seems to be happening to others. I think Porsche will stand behind their product. This is so far the only problem that is getting me a little inpatient....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tell 'em you're well known on Edmunds and you know how to post :-)

Steve, Host
    I guess I'll take that as a compliment, coming from you , steve.... :-)

did you go up to the snows yet ? Have a good one when you do... !!
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,
    I just bought a set of the Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2
    235x60 18" and they are "N 0" rated now.

Porsche approved.

You have to get the WT M2 tire though to get the rated N 0 in an XL (extra load tire).

I really like my set, yes a little softer riding then the summer tires but should be great in the winter since they are studless winter ice and snow tire technology.

regards to all
    dennis
    thanks.... I think that will be my next set....
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    Hi Buddy.

This is common for early models. The alignment should have been done by the dealer at > 400 miles.

Many have had 2 fronts replaced free (including me)+ alignment/road force wheel balancing to correct it going forward.

Dig yr heals in. Refer them to this and my boards(rennlist)if you have a problem.

Good luck.
    thanks mudman !!!

I will dig in. I mean I love the vehicle and all....but I think Porsche should stand by me on this one....

good to hear from ya...... :-)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you are experiencing this problem in your Cayenne, of which Porsche is very well aware, there are postings on a forum unique to the VW Toureg that indicates VW has released a firmware update to solve it.

I first reported the problem with my 01 C4 in May of 01 as I returned it to the factory for shipment to the US. To date Porsche has refused to address the issue even though the shops seem to be fully aware of it and the hazardous driving potential therefrom.

The Bellevue Barrier service manager and I just recently verified that the 04 996 models still have this problem.
    of a cayenne that got into an accident...

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/5cayenne_20041117- _001.shtml

it seems like it is a pretty sturdy car....the front all caved in, but passenger compartment unaffected....

last year there was another cayenne like this , but with the whole engine bay all parted out...but the passenger compartment was intact....

I think Porsche and VW did a great job on the super high strength passenger cage... and the crumple zones....
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I am looking for a Cayenne V6 with some basic options (roof, tipronic, heated seats, colored crests, zeonons) and not much else. Just your basic go to work vehicle. I'd like to do it before 1 January. Some of the vehicles on dealers lots are mind boggling. One I was quoted on today was a V6 with an MSRP of 54K! They loaded that sucker with 10K of useless crap (e.g., "soft" look leather so it looks like you sleep in your car, a trailer hitch so you can drag a skid steer home from Nations Rent, $450 of roof rack, $650 or so of for an extra interior light or two, etc.).

When you mention the manual shift version, everyone justs sniffs that this isn't going to work well with a 6000 pound vehicle so "we aren't going to order any".

Who specs these out? An angry dealer CFO who doesn't want to see any MSRP for under 50K? A properly specc'ed V6 should sell rings around an X5 yet because you can't get them, Porche doesn't sell them.
  • prdprd Member Posts: 2
    I have owned two Cayennes. Both had tires replaced by Porsche for wear issues. My current Turbo has 19" wheels and the dealer discovered the tires have been slipping on the rims! I am on my third set of tires and hoping this finally does the trick as I am tired of driving the 100+ miles for each service visit.
  • kw1kw1 Member Posts: 2
    I also had early wear issues on Continentals. Dealer tried to get approval from corporate to replace the tires free of charge as they had seen similar instances but they couldn't get approval. Apparently your Cayenne has to be manufactured prior to Sept 03 in order for tires to be covered.
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    I have a Cay Turbo 04. Just in the last few days, it's been alarming on its own when locked. I had the car since July 03. Has anyone else experience this problem?
    hi Joe...

I have not had any alarm problems....maybe check to make sure it is not some electrical fault, or some internal malfunction ?

good luck...
    HI... was at the SUV fuel mileage forum, and got some tips that I applied to the cayenne on my recent trip down to LA.

I had 2 adults, 3 kids, 3 TVs and associated electrical hardware, trunk full of luggage and gifts.....and got 20 mpg going 60 mph.

It is the local driving that kills fuel mileage ...... any car accelerating will get single digit mpg....

Use the trip computer (and while on the freeway and you are ready to go for the high mpg ), switch it to mpg screen, and press the reset button for a full 2 seconds....and the computer will calculate current mpg.

If you don't reset it, then it averages in all the low mpg that you got when you were taking the corner at speed or accelerating faster than some other sports cars.... ;-) and you will end up with a lower mpg figure.

going to the SUV mileage forum will give you some good ideas....

:-)

Happy New Year...!!
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    I have been researching all the steel and crash data I can get my hands on and I think the Cay may be the safest thing out there.

I am wondering, though, if the T-reg uses the same steel and same welding process for the shell as the Cay -- if so, then T-reg would be a great deal since its $10,000 less and would be just as safe.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I think CR gave that title to the X5. Or was it the X3?
  • stheodd1stheodd1 Member Posts: 18
    I am looking to upgrade the headlights to Xenon. I have read the various posts on upgrades. Has anyone actually done this. I did ask my dealer and the claim they don't know about upgrading to Xenon. There are various kits available.

Have searched for a bra to protect the CS here in the northeast. Tons of abraisives on the road everytime we get a flake of snow. Any brand suggestions that fit well.

I love the CS. Just the whole feel is terrific even with the various little issues.
    Car front end protective bras & film has some brand recommedations.

Steve, Host
  • jpindallasjpindallas Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up an '05 TT and love everything about it except seat comfort. I'm 6', 225#, and can't get past the annoying side bolsters pressing into my legs. Anybody else experienced this?
    Hi jpindallas:

yes, there was one ot two who complained that the seats were a little too narrow, that it felt contricting....

no one complained about Cayenne not being able to accomodate taller people.

I personally think the seats are OK....but could be better..

the best seats , IMO, are the ones in the top of line volvo sedans....just cushy but supportive...
    Cay is not a sedan -- tyically sedans have better seating comfort than SUVs.
    with some of you in a fight club (of the mind) to see whos best arguments will the crowd as to what is the safest car amoung the folloing: T=Reg, Cay, X5 and X3, XC90. Bigger SUVs are excluded and they are machines used to kill people -- unfortunitly our own people, kids, wives, mothers, and so on.
    Wow! This is going to be the start of a long thread. How is safety going to be defined? Survivability, once in an accident? The XC90 wins with more and better air bags, better roof structure, RSC, etc. The vehicle with the most accident likelihood or accident-proneness? Get out the insurance records and maybe the testerone generating Cay Turbo and the 4.4 X5 lose big time and XC90 wins again (stodgy drivers, etc.). The vehicle with the most accident avoidance, once you are in the accident zone? Maybe the X5 or the Cay win on manuverabilty, visibility, control, etc.
    Yes, this is a tough one to define.

It might be easy if there is a clear winner -- ie, best side and best front and best roll-over protection.

For me (a rather selfish perspective) and using the Friedrich Nietzsche dictum (ie, "What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."): probability of death in the driver's seat if hit by a tractor trailor going 70 mph in a T-bone.
    yes, the chasis components are the same for T-reg and cayenne....

both have super strong steel cage and strong outer chasis.
    HI wwest:

I don;;t think consumer reports does testing on Porsche much.....

they go for the economy of items....so if they declared the X5 the winner, they may have left out other contenders, as they frequently do on dishwashers, fridges, etc....

I do not think they will test caviar nor mink coats. ;-)
    Hi aaaedgarpoe:

what happened to allen ? :-)

I agree, Cayenne is not a sedan...it is more than that....it is a vehicle that can go off road, then to the race track and go 150 mph plus safely, then take you to the opera or Ritz in style.....

that said, I think Porsche let VW do a little too much work....and VW is about economy , thus the less than luxurious seating....

I like the volvo S60 R seats the best....just pure glove like cushion, but with side supports that gently hold you....pure heaven compared to BMW, mercedes, porsche, caddy, etc....

try it at your local dealer if you get the chance.

If I were Porsche, I would take apart a S60R seat, re-engineer it, and put it in all cayennes....comfort with lateral support....and it would be in tune with what cayenne is all about.
    I understand Volvo and its reputation for safe cars....

but I think Cayenne has the same number of air bags....

and cayenne super strength steel cage is nothing to sneeze at...though one must put the 2 cars side to side in a battery of tests to see which is safer...

I think the Porsche Stability system is better than the Volvo one....volvo markets its stability system loudly...together with its air bags....calling it the only antiroll-over system on the market...

Porsche has all of the above, and integrated with the traction control system . Cayenne has a few gyroscopes of its own , to detect yaw, pitch and roll, and all systems are integrated into one complete overall system....

With a cayenne with air suspension, then even that is linked to the overall anti-roll over system....it has a self leveling feature that automatically adjusts air pressure in the shocks on the side that it senses is tipping over....a real anti tip over compensator. Volvo does NOT have this. It only has a stability system coupled with side airbags.

IMO, Porsche, due to the need for the cayenne to be a sports car , has done more to prevent rollover, and more to increase stability and on road capability, than Volvo. and the numbers speak for them selves...

At the famed Nurbringen track...the Cayenne turned in lap times better than the 2003 boxster and on par with the BMW M3.....going that fast around the laps would leave the Volvo crashed and out of the track, IMO.
    actually knows something about the safety cage of the Cay and T-reg! The safety cages are the same.

And boy did that take digging. If you call VW, all they do is read press releases to you.

Now if the T-reg just had a carbon filter for cabin air as the Cay has as an option.
    T-reg , IMO, already has a nice interior...some say the 2nd best, after Range Rover....

I like the neatness and less buttons layout of the cayenne.

didn't know that the t-reg did not have a carbon air filter....

did you know that the cayenne has TWO separate hydraulic brake systems...(probably one for front, one for back, but I am not sure how) !!

So that when one system fails, the other will still work ? cool.... :-)
    Most cars have a dual circuit brake system so that two wheels will brake if one of the brake lines fail. Maybe the Cay has a redundant four wheel system?

btw High, you need to see this off-topic pic. <g>

Steve, Host
    Hi Steve :

thanks for info on the brakes....seems like a good idea to have dual circuits. According to Porsche , it is a redundant dual circuit.

LOL....wow....Nice pic !! seems like a great way to deliver KKs to sails.... ;-) <g>

talk about overkill.... :-)

well, to each his own, I guess....
    Highender and others, while we know that the V6 engine is shared to some extent with VW, does the VW also have a dry sump? The same loooong oil change intervals? The same Mobil 1 recommendation? The same difficulty in changing the oil? Should I volunteer to the board to buy and compare prices and internal construction (by cutting them open) of the VW and Porche oil filter?

Wouldn't it be interesting if the local VW guy would do the Porche $200 oil change for a VW like price, say $50? Wouldn't you pop for one every 5 to 6K as with other cars, say like those made in Munich?
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Not really considering you are looking at a 20,000 mile oil change interval, using a dry sump system requiring 9 or 10 quarts of Mobil 1 at a cost of around $5 to $6 per quart and a $12 to $15 filter ($75 for oil and filter alone). Plus the check up they do at the oil change includes more then just changing the oil, its a full inspection of all fluid levels, drive belts, cv joint boots, ect......! And its only necessary every 2 years unless you drive more than the 20,000 miles. I agree it sounds expensive till you know what all is involved! Probably should be closer to $140 or so, but Porsche technicians make more then the Cheverolet garage mechanics.
    Hi blckislandguy:

I am not sure, but I think the V6 engine does not have a dry sump for lubrication...I know that both V8 engines have this feature.

I think the V8 engines are different for VW and Porsche...

don't know if the filter is exchangeable between the two...but I think you can get any oil change place to change to oil for $20 , if you provide the 10 quarts of Mobil 1 syn and the oil filter.

I get all the factory recommended oil changes done at the dealer, but in between, I get just the oil changed (not the oil filter) at a local shop .
    So I'm down to the following, with safety my main concern:

First Choice:Cay.

Second:new 2006 m-class benz due out in mid-April

Third:Volvo XC90 due with BLIS in August.

Forth:Lexus R330 (or R400H).

Fifth:VW T-reg.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's everything you ever wanted to know about dry sump and more! :-)

tidester, host
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    Hi guys, I'm about to purchase a Toureg this weekend. 2005 Toureg V6 w/ Package #4 @ $40.5K (exclucing tax & license). And my research shows that I might be able to get the Cayenne for a few grand more just with the Convenience and Touring package. Am I completely wrong, would it be much higher?

If the difference is withing $3K, will it be worth going for the Cayenne instead?
    Regrettably, there is no genlemanly way to put this: I think that you are stark, raving mad. Check out the accompanying board (Infiniti FX35 vs. VW T Reg vs. BMW X5 vs. Cay vs. Caddy SRX etc.) for several comparisons of T Reg vs. Cay. These comparisons center on CAY's 20 more HP, significantly more power directed to the rear wheels, better customer service, nicer interior, etc.

Without repeting any of the arguments advanced on that board, which car will be more fun to drive, own, and in 5 years sell for a higher percentage of your buy price?
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    The base Cayenne V6 has 247 horses compared to 240 on the Toureg (is this wrong info?). I'm not planning on buying with the intention of selling it. Plus, one would hope that when you pay more for a vehicle and more on maintaining the car that it would have a better resell value.

Anyhow, my estimates were wrong. To get a comparable vehicle with equivalent features as the Toureg, the Cayenne would cost approximately $48.5K. That's a price difference of $8K. Will the price jump be well worth it?
  • atranatran Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 05V6 with sunroof, memory seat, heated seat, auto climate,6CDs changer, rear window screens, compass - listed 48830, bought at 44800. I tested drive the V6Toureg; it was not even close to the Cay. I'm not sure how much the Toureg costs with the same options.
    atran, you are a ferocious negotiator. That's a great price. I paid a little less but didn't get the 6CD changer, auto climate, or memory seats. (I can easily rationalize their absence though: my Cay is a one driver car tuned to rightwing talk radio or country exclusively, and like 99% of all Americans I compulsively fiddle with the HVAC settings anyway.)

IMHO Porsche is making a big mistake in not taking dead aim at the X5 3.0 crowd with good leases. The car is much better than the VW and significantly better than the X5. Ownership experience: Do you think they will remember your name at the high volume VW store or the "we sell all we can bring in at list price to these foolish yuppies" BMW store?
    After 2 hours, they asked 48, let me walked at 44. I called in later to accept that offer. They have to get this color from San Diego port. My wife only accepts white, it's her car :-)

It's such a solid car - it feels so much better than X5 and VW.
    I'm sorry. I meant that they asked for 44800.