Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• kuku62kuku62 Member Posts: 7
    I, for one, think that the '07 (based upon the spy shots I have seen) is not that attractive and takes away from the traditional Porsche "look" and image.

Any one else have any thoughts??
    I have an "05 Cay S on its way with the 18" turbo wheels. Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom to share....would really love to have the 19" but keep reading mixed messages on the ride and safety.

Any thoughts???
  • merrymmmerrymm Member Posts: 5
    I agree Kuku..but have been pleagued with the problem of not being able to drive the old model of a car. I'm not saying it's right it's just me. ;)
    The Face Lift will occur spring 06, for the 2007 models. :)
    Any thoughts on the 18" wheels merrymm??
    Sorry Kuku am not knowledgeable about the 19" rim. Those are what I will be getting I like the size and the looks much better than 18". I can tell you the bigger rim the less smooth the ride. 19" is not over the top though, I would think you start feeling it at 20", 22" + I say go for it they look great and the price is not over the top.
    I will inquire about this to a friend who own a after market shop for a second oppinion. :confuse:
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    I saw a picture of an 05 Cayenne with the exterior trim in black instead of the silver. I have an 04 Cayenne black on black. My silver keeps becoming discolored. The dealer has to buff it out every few months. Anyone know if the silver can be replaced with black? It sure looks better too on the black exterior especially. :)
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    hi jimcays:

You can try CEC in los angeles, which has a complete mod program for the cayenne....
    Hi chance6:

I have 18 inch with the continentals all season V rated tires on right now....due to weather conditions...and have no problems with shimmies at all...even at speed (higher than 75 mph, but I will submit to the fifth amendment on the grounds I may incriminate myself ;) )

I also have 20" Antera rims with 275 wide Falken - tires...but I think the tires are wrong for the wheels. They do shimmy a bit at 75 mph....and I don't like it....But I think having the right tire on the 20" , correctly balanced and aligned, will not shimmy.

I got the turbo, but also declined the many options.... it is a plain bread model.
    Kuku, my friend say you shoudl be fine with 19". 17-19" should not affect the car . :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    '05 ctt with whistling/humming noise back seat window. stops if you crack open window or shut off the heater/ac. probably some type of air leak. anybody with similar experience?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is hoping to speak with someone who considered buying the Cayenne but purchased a different vehicle instead. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 11, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief explanation of your decision. Thanks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jon12jon12 Member Posts: 1
    Consumer Guide says:

"Britain's CAR magazine reports Cayenne is in for a facelift and larger, more powerful engines. Timing is unclear, but we see the revised models reaching U.S. Porsche dealers by mid-2006. According to CAR, the base Volkswagen-sourced V6 grows to 3.6 liters and about 275 hp, while the Porsche V8 expands to 5.0 liters for some 375 hp in S-model trim and around 550 for the Cayenne Turbo. Also on deck is a lightweight 375-hp V8 Clubsport version with quick-ratio steering, revised suspension, 20-inch front wheels and 21-inch rears, and Porsche's composite ceramic brakes. The Clubsport is by no means assured for the U.S., but could come here by 2008 if Porsche feels the need. CAR also reports that Porsche is mulling several Cayenne spinoffs, including a long-wheelbase wagon, a short-chassis 2-dr wagon, and even a 4-dr crew cab pickup. Stay tuned."
  • bocabrianbocabrian Member Posts: 17
    The black out package is on option on 2005

"QJ4 Exterior Package Black. Exterior package in black monochrome - Side window frames including cover of the B and C pillar, rear molding, door handles without inlay, door sill trim molding black. $320"

I bought a 2005 S in december for $53K (total including tax and frieght) black ext tan interior.... my question is if I replace the 19" turbo wheels with an all black rim with the brake dust be as noticeable?
  • lleecpalleecpa Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone track how many miles per gallon (highway/local) do they get on the Cayenne? Is it close to 14/18 the manufacture advertises?
    Based on prices I seen at the dealer, you got a great price ($53K out of the door) on your 2005 S model. How much did you baragain down? We are in the process of evaluating our buying options. Any tips on price negotiation will be greatly appreciated.

Linda
    In any negotiation, I try not to bargin in unfamilar surroundings (i.e. the dealership). These guys do this all day long and they will wear you down. Here is what I did.
    1) Detemined which car I wanted and with what options (05 Blck/Tan, moon roof)
    2) Visited Porsche website. Emailed/called five dealers in Florida
    3) Dealers faxed buyer orders - all offers were $5K below Champion's "best price"
    4) Fax best buyer order to each dealer (save the delear with best price)
    5) Repeated steps 3 & 4 until only one dealer was interested....
    9) wired money
    10) car arrived next day (Best Christmas Present I have ever seen)

total elaspsed time: 3 days. Spent 15 minutes each day. All discussions were via phone or email from my office. Nothing face to face.
    Hi - Bocabrian, Thank you so much for such a detailed explanations. It is truly helpful. We have identified what we want (S, Carmon Red Metallic/Havanna/Sand Beige lth with PCM). I have planned to deal via email and phone only. Once we can agreed on the price we want then we will pay and pick up the car.

I am not clear on the steps 3 & 4 that you have stated. What is Champion's best price? Could you explain?

Thank you again for your time.
    "Champion" is a large (maybe the largest) Porsche dealer in Ft Lauderdale florida. Sorry for the confusion. Since the red is not a high demand color, you might be able to get a better deal.

Has anyone:
    1) painted the window sills and B & C Pillars? satisfied?
    2) replaced the silver rims/wheels with black? is the brake dust still as noticeable?
    Hi Bocabrian - Thank you for the clarificaiton. So how much off on MSRP did you get for your car? We have changed our mind and request the Jarma Beige color and the dealer for their best price.
  • alirobalirob Member Posts: 17
    I get between 17 and 18 mpg on the highway in my 2004 CS.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    This negotiating technique sounds great. But this is the real world. Were you really able to find five dealers in FL with exactly the same car for sale at the same time?? Without exactly the same specs, how did you compare prices? Forgive my skepticism, but I've never seen two identical Cayennes let alone five on separate lots for sale at the same time.
    My exterior silver trim keeps discoloring on my 2004 Cay S.
    Porsche service buffs it out and it looks good for a month or two and then returns even worse than it was. I complained to my dealer and asked that it not only be replaced but be replaced with the black trim that you can now order as an option.
    I will let you know how that turns out. I have a black exterior, so I think the black trim will look much better anyway plus I will not have the discolored silver. I have seen pics of black Cayennes with the black trim and it looks great.
  • kris168kris168 Member Posts: 1
    This is the 3rd time my 2004 Cayenne's airbag light came on. I’ve already been to car dealer previous 2 incidents. Problem seems to keep coming back. Has anyone had the same problem? Vehicle only has less than 8300 miles. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. :cry:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a national newspaper would like to speak with professional women who for the first time are buying a fun car or truck they have been longing to own but were not able to buy before because it wasn’t practical. This vehicle purchase is a splurge. The reporter would like to speak with first time buyers of full-size trucks, convertibles, Miatas, Porsches or Jaguars. If you fit what the reporter is looking for, please email a brief description with contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com as soon as possible.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

you are right, blackout tires will hide the brake dust...
    My dealer (champion) told me the blackout package is only available from the factory and can not be done by the dealer. I have quotes of 600-900 to paint the silver parts, the MSRP for the option is $300. which dealer told you they can do it?
    But this is the real world. Were you really able to find five dealers in FL with exactly the same car for sale at the same time?? Without exactly the same specs, how did you compare prices? Forgive my skepticism, but I've never seen two identical Cayennes let alone five on separate lots for sale at the same time
    silly comment repeated.. which I hestitate to even respond to...

You live in your world, I live in mine. Believe what ever you want to believe, I could care less.
  • nikocaysnikocays Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was driving my '04 Cayenne S yesterday, and it was around 85 degrees, and I noticed that the engine temperature (not the oil temperature on the left) started to go up a little bit. The change was seen when the car was driving at around 3000 RPM, up to 4000 max. The arrow only went up slightly, probably to around 190 F, the normal is 180F, and then went to 180F when the car was not driven hard. I talked to the dealer and he told me to check the oil level. The level is normal and the car has not burned any oil since it was bought new. It now has 13200 miles on it, and I check the oil every few thousand miles. I called the dealer again today and he told me that since the oil level is normal, the small rise in temperature is a normal occurence. That seems kind of strange to me since i have never seen the temperature rise on my other cars, no matter how hard they are driven. Let me know if you think this is normal, or what could be the problem. Thanks
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have a 05 Cayenne S.
    I generally get 12.5 - 13 mpg in the city (some freeway, lots of stop and start on west side of L.A.).

I've made a few long trips (ie. 2.5 - 3 hrs. drives) where I've gotten it to 21mpg.
    Regards,
    steve
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    05 Cayenne S

I have an issue where once the vehicle is driven then parked, upon returning (up to 2 hrs. later) and driving again, I find the air vents blow warm/hot air (my temp. set at 68 degrees). It's as if heat soak has gotten through to the blower. I have tried switching between outside-air vs in-car recycle, but to no avail.

Only thing that fixes it is to have the air-conditioning operate continuously which I don't want.

If I drive the car for the first time and the engine warms up, it still is capable of blowing ambient air through the vents. The 'heat up' only happens when the car is driven, parked then driven again.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas on the problem?

Do you guys run air-con continuosly?

Regards,
    steve
  • tiptronic1tiptronic1 Member Posts: 4
    Believe it or not, our Cayenne V6 was one of (literally) tens of Cayenne's throughout the nation;

Which made it REALLY convenient to haggle down our price, because every dealership in California would have 2-3 of the EXACT same car.

I don't know why Porsche did that... I heard from our salesperson that they were the "first" Porsche V6's launched and were "intro" cars...
    Just took delivery of new Cay S two days ago and have an annoying problem with lack of air flow through the rear center passenger vents....do not have the four-zone climate control, HOWEVER, one would think that you would have some air-flow through those vents at max a/c...checked to make sure the vents were wide open...any one else experience this problem....VERY FRUSTRATING...live in Atlanta and the temperature has been high lately.....please help!! :( :mad:
  • gilagila Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 cay S and had the same problem. I took it into the dealer and they ended up replacing a connector on the wire harness and a few other things while it was in (headlights, rear wiper arm cover etc...) No charge! Seems they had this problem before, good luck! Any one have problems with the low shift points in automatic?
  • brockwestbrockwest Member Posts: 7
    I've sort of avoided the board after some hostile counter-remarks to simple questions...but for those of you interested, I have the final follow-up for my complaints that the tires wore out in front at 10,000 miles (and all at 18,000), there was no spare even though I was shown where it was held, they stole my upgraded tires off my car when it was given to me at delivery time, and the remote didn't work.
    I took the boards suggestion and talked both to the service manager and 1-800-Porsche. Both told me to talk to the other.
    Marietta, Georgia salesmanager told me that Porsche tires should wear out at 9,000 miles for 911, at 15,000 miles for Cayenne...and replacement for 4 tires is $2000.00, meaning more than 10 cents/mile for tires in driving. I told him about this forum and that I was told to be firm in dealing with the tire issue and he said no. I told him I had identified the problem at 9,000 miles and he said that's all that should be expected from a Cayenne.
    For the safety of my family I did have to buy the spare, which mean they took out the Bose subwoofer (looks just like a spare tire holder) and they charge me four times what it would have cost for the "additional 18'' tire" if I had bought it at the time of purchasing the care. Their reasoning for the 4x charge was it is no an aftermarket item.
    On the remote not working, they shrugged and said all Cayennes have the problem. On asking for the upgraded remotes as mentioned on the board, they said no.
    I'm now at 18,000 miles with bald tires, a/c dead (blows hot air), nav. system stuck (but there is a nav. recall, so hopefully that will fix it), and a car that occasionally hesitates at the very time I need it most....going from zero to merge turning into fast traffic.
    I've thought a lot about the concept that for $100K I should have checked the car with a fine tooth comb. Naaa. I've had a dozen luxury cars, and never had to check to see if there are windshield wipers, spare tires, that remotes work, etc. etc. For $100K, I should have gotten a $100K car.
    I mentioned they identified and fixed all these in the 2005 model, and they shrugged.
    Porsche, for a few bucks, has lost a $100K customer.
    The bill for this fix is $3300.00
    Ok, the very few grumpy posters...go ahead and yell at me.....I'm done.
    Boca,
    I had my 2004 Black Cayenne S in service twice to have the silver exterior trim looked at. It looked dull and stained. I was told that they would replace the trim if I wanted. They buffed it out and it looked good but only lasted about 2 months. I took it in again and same thing happened. Meanwhile I saw that black out trim was available as an option on 2005 Cayenne's and so I found a picture of a 2005 Black Cayenne with the black out trim on the internet and it looked really good.
    I the spoke with my dealer in North Carolina and asked him since he offered to replace my silver trim under warranty, could he replace it with the black trim so that I wouldnt have the problem again. He then spoke with the area rep who said they would replace the silver trim with black trim for me. It was ordered, took about 10 days to get in. The black trim pieces replace all the silver trim pieces except for the door handles. It is at the porsche dealer being done today. The black trim parts are almost the same cost as the silver trim parts but they are being replaced at no charge to me under warranty. Note to Brockworst.....other than the aforementioned silver trim and a faulty window switch, I have had 20,000 miles of pure motoring bliss with my Cayenne S :shades:
    Sorry about the typo, :) I mean Brockwest
    I've had my CayS for just over a year now and have 20K miles on it. I get 13-14 around town and 20 when I take a trip on the interstate. I've been pleased with the mileage considering the speed and sportiness of the Cayenne. :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For next time:

After posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve,
    Jim :)
    there are seven dealers in north carolina ... which one did you use. I really want to get the same thing and none of the dealers here in south/central florida (ft lauderdale, naples, orlando, miami, west palm beach, tampa) offer the package... the all black looks so much better.... I have offers of 400-600 to paint but I would prefer the package that porsche offers...
  • maukamakaimaukamakai Member Posts: 5
    I promised my kids a DVD player in my 05 Cayenne S if the report cards were good. The report cards came out great but I am not having luck finding a DVD. I have been told they have DVD players with screens in the headrest for the 04 but not for the 05. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the 04 and 05 headrest?
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    The Cayenne air is designed to be run all the time, I was told not to turn it off except for maintainance.
    Boca,
    Just picked up my Cayenne from the dealer yesterday. The blackout trim looks great, especially on my black exterior. It did take some doing though, the dealer sent it out to the body shop down the street that they use for repair on Porsches.
    Apparantley its pretty straight forward except the far back windows behind the passenger doors. They have to take out those windows because the trim is part of the windows. The blackout trim replaced every silver exterior piece except the door handles. Like I said, it looks great. My dealer where I bought the Cayenne and have it serviced is Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. The head of the service department had offered to replace the silver trim with silver trim (which would of gone thru the same process of switching out that the black trim did), but when I asked if the blackout trim could be done instead, he spoke with the district Porsche guy who said yes. When the head of service ordered the parts, he said that even though it is a $320 option on 2005"s, the blackout trim parts were the same price as the silver trim parts except for about $30. All work and parts were covered under warranty. BTW, I had the wood shifter added to replace the stock shifter and it goes great with my wood interior. So in conclusion, not an easy replacement but the final result does look much better and hopefully no discoloration. :shades:
  • 2cayornot2cay2cayornot2cay Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: Looking for some additional input:

I am scheduled to pick up a new 2005 Cayenne (V6) this Friday, but I am getting a case of pre-buyers remorse. Can someone provide input to the following:
    1) How long do the tires REALLY last? Should I expect to pay $2k for new tires in less than 20,000 miles?
    2) How has reliability been on the 05 models? Due to the relative newness of the 05's, It sounds like most of the input is on older models, and
    3) Do you guys recommend a Cay, X5 or MDX?

Thanks in advance for your input...
    To
    For Cay or not to Cay,
    Go for it!! I do not think you will be anything but glad you did. I have a 2004 Cayenne S with 20,000 miles on it and the only problem I have had was a faulty drivers window switch and the aforementioned exterior discoloring of the silver trim, both replaced to my satisfaction by my porsche dealer under warranty.
    The only difference I see between the Cayenne and the Cayenne S basically is the engine. The looks and options are the same. I would think you should have a little better tire wear with the 6 cyl model. My tires lasted about 15,000 miles, granted thats not alot but if you look on tirerack.com you will see several tires for the Cayenne that start at $99.
    I replaced my stock Continetal tires with Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus ($175) and they ride smoother and are lasting longer than the Conti's.
    As far as the "newness" of an 05, the Cayenne came out in 2003. The 6 cylinder model did come out as an 05 model but other than the engine, black rings around the gauges, and a different stock radio there are no other differences. If anything an 05 model should hold up better than an 04 or 03 due to improvements that cars go thru as they progress thru their lifecycle.
    I guess if aliens invaded the earth and took all the Cayennes with them ( which I'm sure would be their vehicle of choice), I would be forced to drive an BMW X5, but I would always long for my Cayenne. I especially love the luxurious and comfortable interior, the sharp looking exterior, and the ride. Get the Cay and don't look back. :shades:
  • mandyr1050mandyr1050 Member Posts: 9
    I too am scheduled to pick up a new 2005 Cayenne S on Friday (Maryland)! I haven't slept for 2 nights...and buyers remorse has also set in--big time! Unfortunately, I had to drop the Air Susp. option that I wanted--and I keep second guessing my decision. I'm sure the remorse will go away as soon as I finish my drive home from the dealer (an hour of driving the Cay should solve that issue!). The other thing I'm really worried about is the shimmy/vibration at high speeds...already e-mailed the dealer to make sure it's perfect or I'm walking (thanks to the posters on the roadfly site). Best wishes with your Cayenne! What color comb. did you get?
  • mandyr1050mandyr1050 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the pep talk! I'm also picking my 05 CayS up on Friday and I've been a nervous wreck! Interesting about the discoloration of the silver--I almost bought one of the three cars my dealer had with the blackout pkg--but went with the silver instead (had more interior options). We'll see how the silver holds up!
  • 2cayornot2cay2cayornot2cay Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the posts. I wanted the responses to be positive, so my decision has already been completely biased. I will pick up the car tomorrow and I look forward to additional posts in the future.

One more thing: Does anyone have the bluetooth option installed by the dealer?

As for the color selection, I went with black on beige.