Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• billyg2billyg2 Member Posts: 30
    blckislandguy, yeh i'm contradictory @ times as i'm a genuine
    flip flopper, a spend thrift who sometimes get's cheap! yet the art
    of the deal/negotiating is an exiharating experience. i changed my
    order to performance tires & i'll get the snows. as for the rims well i'll
    check out ebay although i must confess i'm unfamiliar with the site.
    the wheel dealer in ca checks out as legit & is arguably the largest porsche
    rim dealer in north america outside of any dealer. they do a lot of business
    with beverly hills porsche as i spoke to the beverly hills parts manager about them. guess a lot of beautiful people out that way exchange the factory rims for
    exotics. say what's wrong with an extra 1/2% off anyway!? it pays for a tank of gas!
  • mandyr1050mandyr1050 Member Posts: 9
    First off...thanks for asking! :D
    Now...how do I like it you ask????? Well....I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my 05 CayS...her name is "Gretchen"....she is Titanium w/Black interior....and she is FABULOUS!!!!! Can't believe how she drives! Took the advice given here--dealership road forced the tires--and she is smooth as silk! The only options I could'nt get were the Air susp and the tire pressure monitor--but I'm doing quite well without them--and glad I opted for the instant gratification of the 05 vs. waiting for a special build on the 06. Now if I could just feel a bit more secure driving her--I'm still pretty nervous--expecially parking her! Just ordered the dark wood gear shifter to match the steering wheel...looking forward to picking that up in about 5 more weeks. :-) Thanks again for asking...hope everyone else in enjoying as much as I am!!! ;)
  • jimbo2005jimbo2005 Member Posts: 8
    This is perhaps the most annoying thing about the Cayenne (see my rant about the door locks for the 2nd thing). It should be an absolute embarrassment to Porsche to not have the ability to transition smoothly, seamlessly and automatically, their automatic transmission and engine RPM. I HATE this about the Cayenne. The V8 has plenty of power to move that car but there is no way to automatically get a "mild" acceleration out of this friggin car. Like a computer its all or none - completely binary. If you try to have a gradual acceleration from high gear it just hangs there and forces you to kick it to the floor or to use the silly tiptronic override switches. The thumb switches seem easiest to handle and I want to scream at the engineer that replicated them on the floor shifter since I am constantly hitting that when I go to shift in reverse or go into gear from park to drive - very poor ergonomics. At any rate, you will find you need to anticipate every acceleration scenario and be ready to either press hard on the accelerator to get the silly beast to down shift or manually do it with the triptronic manual overrides. Its one of my biggest complaints for a car that could be so so much more...
    Roof rails are excellent :D . I pull mine back all the way to the rear for an interesting "sport" look that I anticipate is helping as a mini-spolier when not using and every day driving. I use my porsche as a workhorse and have hauled 20 foot section of lumber on top of those rails when I had to rebuild my boat dock after a hurricane. So they are very usable and look pretty good too.
    I have a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S that has been having an extremely annoying intermittent door lock problem. Forgetting for the moment the apparent “paranoia” and irrational design of the German door locking philosophy I could sure use some help. More ranting on the philosophy later…

First of all I have the system re-programmed to open ALL doors with the remote after I had the unfortunate incident of having passengers get caught in the rain while holding packages waiting for me to get inside and override the idiotic and un-chivalrous default “driver side only” door open logic (Duh! German culture apparently has a problem with opening doors from the ladies side?!!). My problem is that when using the remote on occasion, perhaps one time in 10, the passenger side door will not unlock. This only happens one time to embarrass and inconvenience you (usually when you are trying to impress your wife that you are a gentleman by trying to open her door first). The only way to get the door open is to enter the driver side and press the unlock rocker button on the door console. It can also be opened the normal way with the remote by relocking, then waiting 20 sec for the silly security reset logic to expire (and the silly remote key to go back to unlock mode with its single button) and then re-unlock with the remote. It always works the 2nd time. All doors but the front passenger side door open every time with the remote. It’s ONLY the front passenger side door that fails to unlock on occasion. Once it sits a few hours it will randomly fail to open again the first time.

Service techs have replaced the computer controller and now the actuator. They now claim they can’t get it to fail! I left it in the shop for a week and they can’t reproduce it. I take it home and it fails every single day for a week on end, then starts working for a while then fails again on the first actuation of the day. Of course when I take it back it won’t fail again while under the magik of the dealer’s Karma or some service manager is stumped and lies like a rug…

I am ready to SCREAM! Now I want to rant about the stupid lock design & philosophy. Rhetorical question (don’t answer since it will set me off)– anyone know what is the logic in having the silly car lock itself automatically when the key is off and in the ignition and the door is closed !!!? I know this can be programmed off but the first time it happens is enough to make a person want to strangle the idiot engineer who designed that when you step outside the car to hear it go “click” (with no other key handy). Same thing with the defaults being to only open the drivers side of the car – WHAT is all the paranoia with the (darn) car door locks in Germany?!! At least the paranoia is consistent – they make you press the (darn) door handle 2 times to mechanically unlock it. I can’t tell you how many people outside of my family who are not familiar with the car have about busted the door off the hinges or sprung the handle trying to get out of the (darn) car in a panic or in a hurry. I won’t even rant about the insanity of not being able to lock the door without electrical power since I am now convinced that some idiot savant engineer made his entire career centered on how to screw up the most basic of things – getting in and out of the (darn) car. I won’t even get into the absurdity of the rear door lock and the glass panel lock and what gyrations you have to go through to get those two working independent of each other…
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It always works the 2nd time.

Then may I suggest planning ahead and using the remote 20 seconds out on your way to the car - just in case! :)

tidester, host
    Tidestar, I am a pragmatic person. Believe me I have tried this kind of thing. Unfortunately, the key fob system is so poorly engineered that is has a limited range and has known problems. So it is not reliable to press the key fob remote as one walks up to the car since it is unreliable and often will give intermittent results. This can leave one standing in the rain for up to 30 seconds waiting for everything to reset and get re-synced. It is just pathetic that the most basic function - getting into and out of the car can no longer be assumed to work flawlessly with modern technology getting in the way. I'd rather be exposed to the 1 in 10,000 risk of someone wanting to steal the thing and laughing knowing that they had the same problems if they did. ;-)
  • owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    for a cayenne turbo should i go with 17" or 18" rims for snow tires?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If it's any consolation I'd be perturbed too - especially when you consider how much these things cost! Have you tried getting the dealer to replace the whole system including the logic board and electronics (transmitter/receiver)?

tidester, host
    Tidester,
    they have already replaced the integrated computer and the door lock actuator - at what I am sure is considerable cost (to them). The key fob has been a problem from the getgo and it just amazes me that they have not recalled it and replaced the entire design. I use to get random failures of the tailgate "opening" with all the annoying chimes etc. I think they replaced a part there that was specified in a service bulletin. It just amazes me how such an expensive car and a seasoned company can have such infantile design errors and over-engineered, over-complicated and unreliable design, technology and manufacturing. This was my first porsche and I always held the company in reverent "awe" for what is use to be able to produce. I think Porsche has seen its best days as an innovator and has lost sense of the original design philosophy that made them special. Economic forces and competition will likely force them to change or they will be gobbled up by another company some day and forced to comply to current quality standards. They still do 5 things well - 1) Engines, 2) Brakes, 3) Body style, 4) Steering and 5) Weight Distribution. Maybe some company can just buy them out and use those good engineering departments as a core design center. If the later happens it will be a sad day for driving enthusiasts since it will mean fewer choices for all and more blandness in an already sterile consumer automotive market.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Simple question, easy answer.

If you want to look cool, buy 18's. If you want to go in snow and $ave, go with the 17's. Whatever you buy, buy off ebay from a seller somewhat close to home so you could inspect before purchase and/or pick up (although four or five digital photos and UPS were good enough for me). I would recommend also that you stay away from someone located in CA who describes himself as "... the largest Porsche used rim dealer in North America" and look instead for a guy who wants to dump his 17's or 18's for something like 20's or 22's to impress his fellow international students. (Don't feel guilty about a low ball offer: he is recylcling foreign aid dollars.)

If you don't want to deal with ebay, I did see that TireRack or DirectTire had Cayenne tire/wheel packages.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi Jimbo:

Yes, some people have had problems with their door locks....but most people have no problems. Note if passenger is too anxious to open the door, and you are unlocking it by remote jsut as your passenger is pressing on the door switch, then the door will not unlock. Could that be your problem ?

The remote can be exchanged for a new one from Porsche, and/or perhaps you can get them to rewire the remote antenna into the A pillar. That is what a some Toureg owners are doing.
    " anyone know what is the logic in having the silly car lock itself automatically when the key is off and in the ignition and the door is closed !!!? I know this can be programmed off but the first time it happens is enough to make a person want to strangle the idiot engineer who designed that when you step outside the car to hear it go “click” (with no other key handy). Same thing with the defaults being to only open the drivers side of the car "

I will take a stab at answering your question. First , you shouldn't leave the darn keys in the ignition. ;) Most cars stolen in US are due to keys left in the ignition. Second, once the alarm is turned off, it does not turn on just because you leave the car....could it be that you accidentally pushed the ON button when you exited the car ?

third, it is safer for the remote to only open the driver side door, since that will prevent car jacking or thievery when doors are unlocked....this happens more often than you think.
    called direct tire that is somewhat local for me in ma & was given a price on last seasons package. 4 alloy (ab's or something like that) 17", painted silver crest, 4 pirelli scorpian ice winters, stems, balance, lifetime seasonal mounting, came to $1748 plus tax.thanks, blckislandguy, sounds pritty good unless some rich foreigner wants to "dump" a nice new set for cheap.
  • munhmunh Member Posts: 3
    Finally picked up my 05 Cayenne S last week.
    So far so good, but a minor problem with my extra sensitive parking sensors.
    Ride is firm, and center of gravity seems better than most SUVs.

I do agree throttle hesitation in low speed, but overall pleased with the car.
    BillyG, please try either the Tire Rack or the other guy who has ads in Road & Track et al. I recall that last winter's deal was significantly ($350?) less than $1748 and you don't get banged for the Mass Sales Tax. But having said that , there are real good deals on Ebay because the impressionable ones down on Comm Ave. are dumping their 17's and 18's to put on dubs.
  • satchmo1satchmo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Cay S that also pull to the RT the dealership replaced all tires under warranty and it still pulls I am an ex aircraft mechanic and I anm really starting to lean towards maybe a brake rotor problem because sometime I get a vibration during light braking aplications have anyone else responded to this delima.....Satchmo1
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    Does the Cay come with a sensor that does automatic air recirculation when high amounts of air pollution are encountered (like in Volvos and Benz S-classes)?
    Yes it does.
    Click the manual button few times till the green light is off, then the sensor will operate accordingly.
    yes/// like munh said, it does have an automatic air filter system.

but please be careful....it's sensors are not as sensitive as our noses....when we drive down I-5 , pass the catttle ranches...and the ammonia /manure smell comes in the car, the sensors do not pick up the smell nor switch to recirculation air...

human senses trump computer senses....yeah !
  • kuku62kuku62 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any experience with the dealer-installed running boards for the Cayenne? I am considering getting them installed to ease ingress and egress for my kids and wife but saw them on another car at the dealership and they look a bit narrow.

Your thoughts would be appreciated
    Highlander – thanks for the attempt but I have a deep philosophical problem with your answers. Nothing personal but it almost hurts to hear fellow drivers caving into this programmed mindset.

If I want to momentarily step outside the car with the ignition off and the key inside to attend to an emergency or anything else I might need to do I don't need big (binary) brother (what is the german equivalent term?) locking my keys safely inside so I or no one else can get back in. For god sake it’s parked in my driveway and I want to pick up the newspaper and get back in the car real fast. It’s my responsibility and the technology should serve me and my convenience not I it. Do you have any idea what the cost is and the inconvenience is when you get locked out? It is my property, my insurance & my own personal risk. It is my choice if I want to worry about a 1 in 800,000 chance of a car jacking in the 2 minutes I need to attend to something important. Extend the rationale you just used to the old slogan "speed kills" and test the philosophy for consistency. It falls apart. This philosophy of “protecting me from myself even if it kills me” should require the computer to automatically govern your speed when it detects you are going faster than the posted speed for the nav map & highway you are currently driving. Absurd ain't it? I bet some nerd engineer tries that some day or some insurance bureaucrat attempts to legislate that into the firmware with some fat lobbying bucks. Just watch how this philosophical disease spreads in a few years; resist the dark side young skywalker.

Your 2nd answer does not make sense to me sine the alarm is not the problem.

The 3rd answer is just another variation on answer #1. So at the risk of sounding redundant - who is really afraid of a car jacking? Who thinks that the extreme inconvenience of opening only one door when passengers are getting rained on is offset by the unlikely event (a 1 in 1 million event carjacker) is too lazy to walk around to the driver side of the car? How many wives or girlfriends have been peeved because the (gentle)man could not open their door for them after a nice dinner? Haha, how many little children were never born because of this impolite technology? These stupid kinds of things effect YOUR life… “more than you think”.

When we get right down to it the fundamental problem I have is the uninvited encroachment of a few engineers’ or product designers’ values and personal ideals and sheepish paranoia onto an entire class of drivers. "Create a problem and sell a solution" is a rampant marketing strategy in overly domesticated and pampered societies. The breed of drivers owning Porsches have always been independent mavericks and ruggedly individualistic. The car philosophy is now out of synch with its own consumer culture and I (and I am sure many others) will refuse to transform into the wussified and pliable-soft consumer that they are trying to mold us into. I am not against “smart” automation and ergonomic enhancements or anything that lets me focus more on getting down the road with pleasure as long as there are no silly technology impositions. When it comes to the technology wanting me to serve it rather then the other way around its time to get back to basics.

Hey Porsche can you also engineer in some large US standard coffee cup holders? God knows that by now you should know coffee is big over here in this market and those wimpy little European cup holders just don’t fit in culturally.

Jim D. :cry: :confuse:
  • racer_65racer_65 Member Posts: 43
    I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before. When do we get the updated Cayenne? Is it the 06 model or will it be 07? 06 is coming out fairly soon, correct?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    '07 for the facelift. '06 has minor updates and no material differences from the '05 other than MP3 capability on the audio system and other minor mods.

JR
  • racer_65racer_65 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the info. I understand that the Cayenne is essentially unchanged since its introduction in '03. Does anyone know if the factory has been fixing the "bugs" from year to year? In other words, can I expect better reliablity with a newer build date, or are they really all about the same?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    As with most manufacturers there are on the fly changes all the time in components and software. The factory vehicles typically have the latest software and the dealers update those in the field as they come in for service.

In some cases components that are recognized as troublesome are changed at points in the production run. That is why sometimes parts departments will ask for your VIN for parts so they can tell build dates and get you the proper parts for that part of the production run.

Most yearly changes involve adding or deleting content and packages or introducing new options that were not available in prior model years. Things like sport packages, special wheels etc... are examples of this.

In the Cayenne the introduction of the V6 and the manual transmission were examples of post-release introductions.

JR
    I've been reading problems mentioned on this web for sometime, and when i got my 05 Cayenne S, I kept my eyes and ears open for those negative experiences that people went through.
    It's been a week, and so far nothing ...had parking sensor acting funny, but found out that my number plate was not fixed properly.
    All those problems that cayenne had since its launch are fixed with new production (so I've been told by the agent).
    It is a BRILLIANT SUV, so not to worry and go for it.
    bought today 4 brand new ( no miles) 18" cay turbo wheels with
    colored crest for a grand including shipping from an outfit in miami
    that deals with champion motors. now i'll just sit back, wait for my
    car to come in oct, & think of the white stuff.
    Hi Jimbo:

I apologize for perhaps making light of your problem. SO what is happening is that when you leave the key in the ignition, the car will lock itself when you exit the car..... I do not have that problem at all....not once. Yes, the remote range is bad, and tire wear may be an issue with some people, but I have never been locked out... Example: when I am at the gas station , I leave the key in the ignition, turn off engine, and go out to gas up....//// and when I am done, just close all caps, return to driver side door, open door, and step in and I am ready to go....

What is happening to you is not normal....It sounds like something is wrong, not to say it was NOT over -engineered...but that it should be easily corrected and set up to NOT cause you the problem. I will bring my cayenne in for service on Thur, and I know the mechanic at the factory...he is a friend of a frriend, so let me ask him about your case.

I understand about the engineering part....Porsche concentrates too much on the important stuff like the handling, braking, engine, performance, etc....so much that they frequently overlook such apparently also important issues such as convenience, ergonomics, cultural use, etc....

For one, I think the attachment safety belt inside the ski bag is a great idea....did you know that our ski bag in the middle of the rear seats has a belt ? Well, it secures the heavy skis when braking....and prevents skis from skewering you, but that thing, once opened on both ends, takes some time to repack back into the seat.....

I agree on the coffeee cup size. Now , in America, we have supeer jumbo sized soft drinks, frappuccinos in large glass containers, and large super lattes...but Porsche still has cup holders for 12 oz cans. Hey....you should be glad you have cup holders at all......my 2000 Boxster S , which used to be the best handling car in the US....with a roadsucking 0.94 g's .....had no cup holder whatso ever....none....so that we had to hold drinks between our legs....

but you see, Porsche thinks that when on the road, one should be DRIVING...not drinking, not talking on the cell.....but US is big....and on long trips some refreshments is definitely soothing.... :D

OK.....thier Teutonic efficiency has overlooked creature comforts such as cup holders, lots of headroom, reading lights, even air conditioning ( it is extra option on the $500,000 super porsche GT. )

But let us look at the positive sides.....just once, OK ?

1- Porsche engines are very durable ....over 66 % of Porsches EVER MADE are still running. The cayenne engine is hand assembled ( few mass produced cars are done this way...most use an assembly line . ) and each one is bench tested and dynoed....There are no timing belts...so no need to change one....there are 2 timing chains that should last the life of the vehicle...which is very long ! It is a dry sumped engine, which improves coooling and efficiency of the engine.....this design is normally reserved for race car engines and super cars...that is why the engine alone costs upwards of $25,000 !!!! WE bought quality...long term quality at that,,,, something one does not think about when sipping our jumbo cokes... :D

2- The braking in the cayenne is right up there with many sports cars....how many cars can stop from 60 to 0 in only 112 to 120 feet ,,, let alone SUVs ??

3- The road holding is only 0.84 to 0.86 g.....not supercar territory, but damn near better than a lot of cars....and great compared to many SUVs or minivans. ;)

4- Cayenne's entertainment and sensors and nav and all other systems are integrated into a central computer...this can be a problem if your car has bugs...but it is the future. All info is transfered using figer optic lines.... !!!

5- It's offroad ability is excellent.....same if not close to the Range Rover...and better than Mercedes or BMW......if you do go offroad.

6- Did I mention the ability to go 150 mph plus ( PLUS ..if you have no wind, 96 octane, fold in mirrors, and have another car to draft ) with stability and quietness to rival any ferrari or supercars ???!!! ( OK, not that we will go that fast...but hey, having the ability/capabilities, means it will do even better at lower speeds )
    Highender, is the V6 in the Toureg application dry sump? Speaking of sumps, I wonder if VW gets the $200 or so for an oil change?
    Highender,
    Thanks for your comments. For the record I am extremely impressed with the Cayenne engine, brakes, turning/steering, balance and all the fundamentally important things. I am going to use a love analogy to describe more accurately how I feel about this car. It's really not about being positive or negative its about wanting something to be at its best. So, for me it's almost a love relationship with only a few relatively minor and tolerable faults. I tend to want perfection and my standards are very high since anything one buys or does reflects the quality and standards on "my" choices and "my" standards as a person. I want to be proud of my choices and for others to say "hey that guy has some class" or "that guy was very clever in that choice why didn't I do that" etc. Therefore I want the car to be the best it can be. Using another analogy I see these smaller issues and things I mention in a manner as relatively small "warts" on the face of an otherwise beautiful woman. The love and the "fun" is still there (and why I chose to stay with the car) but it is so close to being something ultra special that I want just a few things refined so it can rise to its full potential and "be all that it can be". Hopefully now you can discern a little more about how I think and understand it has nothing to do about concepts and philosophies relating to "positive" and "negatives" or optimism and pessimism. Though I can understand how it might be interpreted this way.

So for the record I am very pleased with this car on a fundamental level. I just want a little less automation or for the ability for “me” to control things from the cockpit since “I” ultimately am responsible for driving this thing safely and being in the best control as possible. That all implies that the little bugs, ergonomic distractions and other little annoyances all contribute to defocus me from having the best driving experience and ability to safely get the car down the road. Relative to the older cars etc. it is still light years ahead of most anything anyone can recall. But the standards we judge by tend toward ever increasing higher expectations (unless we fundamentally change our own outlook and lower our own standards of self esteem). So think of my comments as a “conscience” or force for nudging the bar up a notch in the standards department more so than a complaining voice that wants to trash a very capable vehicle. I always state a problem with a possible solution. The truly negative among us just trash, tear down and say “buy something else” or “take what you get”. Ending on a positive note I am optimistic that Porsche will listen to valid ideas for improvemenst on the car since the evolutionary process requires that end-users get to have a voice in its design.

Cheers,
    Jim
  • bocabrianbocabrian Member Posts: 17
    Jim,

I agree with you. There is alittle too much "big brother" in this car. I also agree with you, the car is great.

My car 05 S is different than yours. When I leave the car in the ignition the door does not lock, and the radio and interior lights stay on. I accidently did this at night and the security guy in our subdivision woke us up at 12:00 to tell us about. Also my remote unlocks all doors with one click. Maybe there is a way to change the programing.

As far as the remotes, they are awful, I think there has been two recalls. Both times the dealer replaced at no charge. But they are still awful. But if I understand one of your questions, there is a way to "reset" the remotes w/o waiting 30 seconds. I have found that by pressing the "key" or the lock button three times (slowly) the remote resets and the doors can be unlocked.

So maybe you can help me. Have you figured out a way to eliminate the ding ding ding ding to remind the driver to buckle up (big brother again). I dont need/want the ding ding ding... its driving me crazy...

Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe some more digging will yield something. You can turn the chimes off in the Outback and new Tribeca, reportedly:

kmartin, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #3861, 25 Jun 2005 2:29 pm

I am a bit surprised that the NHTSA doesn't ding the manufacturers for letting this back door exist.

Steve, Host
    Brian,
    My situation I described was the car's auto-lock feature - which is also programmably enabled as a user convenience/comfort option. It locks the doors when it motion automatically. I now can't recall the exact situation I was in before or if the key was in the ignition or was pulled out and tossed on the console as the door was closed. But it did not perform as I wanted it to or expected it to and it somehow automatically locked by design or by error/malfunction.

You are also correct about the doors unlocking being programmable for singe door, single side or all doors. It was the defaults that I was not happy with since the new car came to me defaulted to only open the driver's door. That resulted in my passengers getting rained on when I panicked trying to unlock my door with the remote then pressed it multiple times more intuitively thinking it would open the other doors (causing the security reset timer to engage and have to count down) but only relocking the driver's door. After 3-4 resets and about 30-40 seconds of delay in the pouring rain (before I was even able to get the thing home and read the manual) I was soaked to the bone and in no mood for porsche's door lock/unlock "automation" theories. This was further confounded by having an intermittent failure on the front passengers side door lock (after I managed to reprogram it to unlock all doors) that always seemed to manifest itself at the worst possible times (e.g. bad weather, a lady waiting patiently for her gentleman to open her door and embarrassing the hell out of me etc.).

As for the remotes, they are a total blunder in human factors engineering. All they had to do was keep it simple and have a seperate lock and unlock button rather than one single "toggle" and not be paranoid about the security delay timers. The security reset timers require you to wait for along time for the silly thing to time out and re-enable itself presumably as a precaution against people trying to hack the digital security key with a flood of digital patterns. I mean, my gosh, do they think people are honestly going to invent some super digital scanner and try to perform a hack attack on the electronic key?! I can see maybe locking it out after maybe 10 false attempts or so but why after the first failed attempt? I am more afraid of not being able to get into the car due to a mugger/thief approaching me and then panicking and fumbling the key fob and being caught outside the car waiting for the thing to let me get safely inside and locked again. This was totally anally retentive engineering by some greenie nerd that had no business ever being in the automotive design business if you ask me.

I wish I could help you on the ding-ding-ding issue. I am a fanatic personally about wearing seatbelts so I do not have this problem personally. However, its like pulling teeth to get clients to wear them - especially heavy or over weight ones that don't like to deal with that belt and shoulder harness. It's everything I can do to get them to buckle up and I often fib and say "insurance regulations require me to have you buckle up and this car's computer will not let me engage the drive until you do". Haha a little white lie and using the computer as a scape goat is kind of diabolical and a natural justice since after all its the computer that will not let you turn off the chime. But if I know software/firmware nerds like I think I do (I use to be one) I betcha there is a super double secret keypad sequence that requires all 10 fingers to press a special sequence that will disable that thing. We just need to go to Germany and find the lead software guy, get him drunk off his keister, and have him tell us all the secret key sequences (then kick the sauerkraut out of him for being such a nerd haha). I think someone else on here was talking about a way to defeat this system too so you might try scanning the archives. Unfortunately the brute approach of disconnecting the speakers would be unacceptable since it would kill the superb bose sound system. But then again , the potent growl of the engine (V8 version) is music to my ears. Good Luck.

Jim
    thanks Jim

Just so the record is clear, I almost wear my seat belts also, and am not weight challenged. I am 6'2" 200 lbs. :-) I just want the option to be mine (re seat belts).

Brian
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    manuals need to be read and not thrown in a drawer. :mad:
    06 model has 3 buttons
    digging deep here to maintain self control.
    I am not sure if the V6 gets the drysump lubrication....it may not need it, due to the fact that the oil pump may have to work less hard in the V6.....

don't know if VW charges $200....but I know that one can buy the parts for cayenne for about $70 , and pay up to $30 for someone to do it....
    digging deep here to maintain self control.

LOL..... ;)

Hiya, Mudman : how goes it ?

Well, I expected this sort thing....

I remember one person complaining about the relatively stiff ride a while back....
    this in a Porsche....

kinda like complaining about speed in a Ferrari..... and Ferrari's don't have cup holders either...

take care....

h
    HI Jim:

good analogies.....funny and entertaining too...

I am glad that you can see and appreciate the good points about the vehicle...

but please bear in mind that no pretty woman is perfect...there will always be some flaw....visible or not....nothing is perfect....

With that in mind, I agree with that there are small niggles that perhaps can make the usage of the vehicle more convenient or ' JIM- friendly'

I have not taken the cayenne in, due to many commitments...but will let you know what the mechanic said ....

best regards.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    I hear the Cay has two independent sets of breaks -- one for the back and one for the front, which is cool. What other neat stuff does the Cay have?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    hmmm, Highlander and I had this conversation a few months ago. I just thought all cars had dual master cylinders for the brakes as a redundant safety factor.

You need to figure this out, High. Disneyland can wait. :-)

Steve, Host
    sorry....but the cayenne book is packed in one of the boxes...so still have to look for it....

I remember reading that the cayenne has a 2 completely independent brake circuits....but again, I need to verify this ....

will get back to you guys....

Mickey can't wait.....he needs us to dump dollars and keep the dream alive..( as well as the stock prices)
    What other neat stuff does the Cay have?

well, there are some neat stuff...some rather interesting, and some that makes me scratch my head.

1- the glove compartment has a cooling duct...so you can put your candy bars there on hot days

2- the V8 engines have not one, but two timing chains...double...so that they will last the life of the car...

3- it has hill descent and hill climb controls....

4- lots of plug in sockets for electrical devices...

5- nice cargo net/ divider

6- speed reminder function....for the teens or for those who get lots of tickets....

7- not enough controls in the computer to customize /adjust the warning bells, driver specific functions...etc...

8- the stereo has custom Bose features , including where you want the sound sweet spot to be....we sometimes adjust it to the center.. .. but when the kids are asleep, we adjust it towards the front, to maximize surround sound stereo...
  • speedshooterspeedshooter Member Posts: 2
    I must admit is is annoying and after hearing the explanation from this group that it is normal I must agree that I cannot believe Porsche does not have the technology to make an automatic transmission that shifts smoothly and correctly the way my Land Cruiser and Yukon XL did in the past. I complained and had it serviced to try and have it corrected but after numerous calls to the dealer and service department they finally admitted that it was a normal characteristic performance of the cars which of course they did not inform me about until weeks after I purchased the vehicle. I bought the Cayenne because I have a C4S 993 and thought it would be the ultimate to have a Cayenne S as my daily driver and the Carrera for the weekend.

I do not regret buying the Cayenne as I have always loved my Porsches in the past and am learning to drive it differently from any automatic I have had in the past and to remember to rely on the tiptronic to cross a busy intersection but with training I will get the hang of it but I sure hope Porsche corrects this annoying characteristic of the transmission and smoothness of the drive in the future. It just accelerates irratically at times which a luxury SUV like this should not have.
  • 20072007 Member Posts: 4
    What's going to be new...style, options, performance??? Anyone seen any pics?
    :confuse:
    the transmission was built by Aisin ...which is in Japan, and builds many trannys for many diff vehicles...including toyota and others....
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    I have the running board installed by a dealer afterwards. You are right, they are a bit narrow versus my Lexus 470, however, it is still very useful for my 5 year and 2 year olds. It is wort getting.
    http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5071

Cayenne facelift for 2007....

I would really like to see an extended version (i.e. Q7) with two small jump seats added...