Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I heard that they were just going to take a breather for 2007.

steve_, "Porsche Cayenne" #1849, 22 Nov 2006 10:21 am
  • vasileiosvasileios Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!
    I own a 2005 Cayenne S and it has no xenon lights. I would like to purchase and install xenon lights. Does anyone know where can I buy them and how much it would cost me at this point? Thank you
    Bill
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I think this would be very cost prohibitive on this vehicle. Likely the only source for them would be the dealer. There is also the matter of the autoleveling feature they come with that would need to be added as well and this would just add to the expense.

I don't believe there is any 'after market' source for these, perhaps your best shot would be a salvage yard and a good local mechanic to install. You should check though if any programming of the vehicle is needed for these once they are installed.

One important thing you should check before starting any of this is the wiring harness. I believe Porsche uses a custom harness for each vehicle apprporiate to the options installed. If this is the case you may not even be able to use the existing harness to power a different set of lights.

Good luck with the project.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    you can go to performanceparts.com, or some other websites, that sell the Xenon light modules.......I saw some for about $1200 per pair.....
    do a search....and you also may catch some dealers offering a sale.

I always ask the dealers about the pricing, and almost always they can offer some discounts just by your simply asking for one...
  • pepperloverpepperlover Member Posts: 22
    I agree, I do not think the cost is worth it. You can buy some good aftermarket bulbs that should fit the housing, that give it a HID look but at a fraction of the price. I did that on a previous car and it helped a bit... but if I were you, I wouldn't bother with it, its going to cost you a pretty penny!

But you could always go to aftermarket performance stores, and I am sure they would be willing to cusomize headlights for you.
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    Formal Launch of 2008 Cayennes will be March 2007...3 new power plants...
  • jeb3779jeb3779 Member Posts: 16
    I was looking at the website...does the base model only come with a manual transmission??
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Base model comes with manual standard. Automatic is an option.
  • cidsparkscidsparks Member Posts: 4
    Live in North/Central NJ and I am considering purchasing a Cayenne. Considered X5 but declined because the total redeisgn is expected at the end of the summer. Now considering Lexus RX350 but someone thought I should take a look at this car. Interested on feedback and a price level for new 2007 AWD Cayenne (NAV). Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    The new re-designed X5 is out now.... the '07 model..

There probably won't be another re-design for 7-8 years..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I considered the Lexus RX, but, it has basically been the same car since its inception. To me, its way too feminine and "mom-sy." I wanted something a little more edgy, and something I thought looked real nice. That limited it to three SUVs, basically, the Cayenne, the X5, and the FX. After really looking at all three, my wife and I decided we liked the Cayenne the best. There aren't that many of them on the road, its a beautiful looking car, the interior is nice and clean, and, well, it performs great (We have the Cayenne S).

To me, the RX isn't even in the same league. Granted, it gets better gas mileage and is a bit smaller (therefore easier to park), but, well, it really gives me no emotion back (much like any of the other Lexuses my family has owned, nice cars but BORING).

Hope this helps! Definately take the RX, X5, and Cayenne out for a test drive, and go with your gut.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    I'd go with a V-8 Touareg, before I'd get the RX.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carb1776carb1776 Member Posts: 13
    I would research the Touareg before you buy it, looks great on the outside. I'm having a DRIVE SHAFT replaced at 5000 miles and the brakes squeal like a pig. Sad thing is the VW Dealers don't want to fix the noise! I'd look at an Acura, Honda, Toyota, BMW beofore the Touareg. I'm ready to have VW buy mine back from me! I will never buy a VW again! It is the best car I have ever driven, but the problems and lousy dealer network make it a headache to own.
    Actually the one thing I have noticed about my 04 Cayenne (the only thing that bothers me really) is the brakes squeak a lot. Granted, there's a lot of brake dust on it, and since its winter I don't have my hose out front, but its moderately annoying...!
  • submachinesubmachine Member Posts: 30
    I am considering a black (or Metallic black) Cayenne, but I hate the chrome window trim, is there a black (or black chrome) option? I've seen it before on actual cars, not on the website.
  • gyfgyf Member Posts: 16
    Yes there is a black option...believe you pay a few hundred dollars.

It should look great with the black trim option.

Good luck.
    Is it in the "Build Your Cayenne" option on the website?
    Yes. I also dislike the chrome trim. I plan to order mine with black trim.
    A blacked out Cayenne is indeed a very nice looking car. I would definately go with the option on a black one. My wife loves the chrome trim, but we have a silver one so it actually improves the look I think.
  • mazatlanmazatlan Member Posts: 1
    Some advice please on tires for an Cayenne S non turbo with 20" Techno wheels. I currently have Diamaris tires which have only a few thousand more miles to go. Can anyone give me their experience with the Continental or Perelli 20's? Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way was at the dealer and saw a new Cayenne 2008. The changes aren't dramatic, however they make a surprising difference in overall appearance. Much more so than the photographs show. For example the front doesn't look nearly so much like the 911, in fact there is little resemblance now.

The new Cayenne looks much more aggressive and much more like an SUV at the same time. Especially in the front. From the back the changes are not quite as noticeable, but well done never the less. Primarily the piece extending from the top of the tail gate is longer and somehow the car seems more balanced.
    I still can't find the option on the website............
    I looked at the Manufacture Price Sticker for my 2005 Cayenne S. It is called "Exterior Package BlacK" as an option at a cost of $362.

If it does not show on the web site, then I guess you need to ask a dealer to see if it is still offered as an option.

Good luck. ;)
    It is listed under "Exterior" Options...QJ4/$320.00
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    hi,every1 im a big fan of cayenne.i know that the cayenne turbo is the fastest of all in 0 to 60 in 5 sec. but some1 told me that v6 are the fastest in the start because theyr'e light weight so they pick the speed fast so in start they are fast but in the long run v8 are fast is it true?
    Not true. Perhaps from 0-3mph but that should be it.
    Ru sure? and do you own any type of cayenne.?

So which should be the better,cayenne S or turbo?

if we take all the options for the cayenne S that is

standard for the turbo.so which should be better.???
    i wonder how the 3rd generation cayenne will be.i expected a lot of change for the 2nd generation, but there ins't much at all.but still im a cayenne fan so i do like it.
    and is the cayenne a long life car.?like the toyots?

reply guys ..tc.
    IF anyone owns a cayenne S or turbo.let me know when u drive do u hear the engine sound in the car inside or is it quiet and comfortable like the mercedes?s class and the bmw 7series can any1 answer
    i always wonder that is a porsche, is it up with high class cars like the bmw and mercedes, cause because they're not into formula 1 and merc and bm all r in f1.where all the latest technology are.
    is the cayenne better or the x5,q7,touareg,which is the long life car without any mechanical problems for atleast 4 to 5 years.without trouble. hope u guys reply all my questions thanks.
    have u guys seen the merc gl class and the ml class.is it better than a cayenne.???does any1 own it
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Can I take a wild guess that you will have a driver's license about the time the third generation Cayenne is out? ;)
    no i already got my a year ago.well couldn't u reply any of my messages and what car do u own
    911 S Cab. Considering a Cayenne V6 6-speed manual as a replacement for our MDX.

A few friendly suggestions: In the future, try posting your questions in a single post. Second, use real words if you want a real response. The "any1 out there? can u help me?" approach tends to sound immature. Third, if you are seriously interested and capable of buying a Cayenne, go to a dealership for a test drive. It's nice to get other people's opinions, but don't count on them over your own.

I would have thought most 17+/- year olds were not in the Porsche/Cayenne market - at least not unless they were a trust fund baby or choking on a silver spoon. But I just heard from a friend whose niece (high school junior) has made a small fortune with a web based business venture she started two years ago and is buying a Cayman S with her own money. After she gave both of her parents and uncle $55,000 each to pre-fund her 529 college accounts. :surprise:

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, even though my suspiscion is that you aren't her business partner. ;)
    I am in the market for either Cayenne S or the new X5. I like the idea of Cayenne V6 manual but it will be for the wife and I tried and failed to teach her how to drive a stick shift. Cayenne S is very much on our minds and althogh we wouldn't mind the turbo, the price difference was too big and the S is plenty fast. As a matter of fact the new V6 is faster then our current Lexus GX470.
    Hi, habitat what kind of cayenne do u own?i own a toyota avalon v6.well its my dad's car but he got a new land cruiser so now i use the avalon .and i also own a brand new toyota yaris.well i can't buy a cayenne rite now, but i think i can buy it in the next 2 years.hope so but if i could buy it then i will wait for the3rd generation,and the main reason that i like the cayenne is my cousin owns 1cayenne turbo 03model he bought it brand new.

davidc i advice u look at both the cayenne and x5,but also take a look at the mercedes gl 450,its a great car.

guys, do u guys know which is the best handling suv, mercedes bmw or the cayenne.???
    When i will buy a suv, i will consider on 3cars. mercedes suv, bmw suv, and i heard the x6 will come within the next 2years. and the cayenne , hopefully the 3generation.
    The new 2nd generation Cayenne just came out as a 2008 model. You won't likely see the 3rd generation before 2012/13.

IMO, the Cayenne is the best handling SUV by a significant margin, the BMW X5 w/ sport package second, all Mercedes a distant 3rd. I'd put the new MDX ahead of the Mercedes in handling. But the Cayenne is also quite small - no third row and not a lot of cargo capacity - compared to the others.

I'm fortunate in that my wife WANTS a manual transmission, but probably not enough to justify giving up the versitility and utility of our 2005 MDX for a new Cayenne V6.
    I think the cayenne can't keep the 2nd generation until 2012 impossible til 2013 with new generation of toyotas lexus suv and bm x6 is and many more coming, cayenne need a 3rd generation by 2011.no later than that.. (IMO)and (MDX)?what does it mean? I was never a fan of suv or porsche,but when the cayenne came it change my thinking now i only like the suv they're the best and still i dont like any porsche except their suv,
  • jgk6jgk6 Member Posts: 1
    Try Yokohama Advan ST's. The Michelins do not last more than 10K-12K miles period! I have had the Advan's on for 16 months, 15K miles and still have 1/2 of the tread left. Great tire, handles well, you'll notice no difference
    Just curious, I haven't had my CPO Cayenne S in for service yet, but have heard varying costs for the annual service. I have heard as low as $400 (in the Car and Driver Long Term Wrapup), and as high as $1000. Thankfully they did the 20k mile service before I purchased the car (it came with 22k), just wondering what it'll be every year. Thanks! (By the way, still in love with our Cayenne S!)
    Aloha,

I just had the two service done (had 12,000) miles on my 2005 Cayenne S. The charge was $740 in Honolulu, Hawaii.

If you look at the owners manual, depending on the miles or number of years between service, they have a minor and major maintenance.

When I had service done after one year (even though it was not required) I paid $350.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks! And I always thought things were MORE expensive in Hawaii. Glad they weren't too out of range for you there.
  • diva113diva113 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I can tell you that I do have an '04 Touareg...bought used in December. I got to 60k mi+ and the transmission line developed a hole in it from rubbing against the vehicle frame??? VW refused to take any responsibility for the poor design and placement of this line. I am now looking at a $1200 repair on a car I have owned for 2 mos. Please let me know if anyone else has had this problem because VW claims until they see alot more of this problem that they will not consider it to be a problem that needs to be addressed!
    Is this a Certified Pre-Owned Touareg???
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    $1200 to replace a hose???

did the leak cause damage to the tranny? Or is it in a location that requires they remove the whole transmission to get at it?

Then again, considering people are talking about $750 services on the Cayenne, maybe $1200 for a repair isn't all that out of line.(?)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Saw many cayenne these days the new 1, the thing i notice is that, the cayenne and and the S u can see the difference with the exhaust, but in the turbo hard to notice its the new turbo, when u see the front then u know its the new 1, i think porsche hasn't done enough changes for the new cayenne it doesn't deserve to be a next generation cayenne for the people us who like the cayenne porsche just wants to make more money with a soooo slightly minor differnece for the outside of the car,just the front is a bit different, i don't think we deserve such a minor change they could have done a lot they just want to keep that for the 3rd generation,
    Aloha,

While comestically it appears to have minor changes, I would like to think if you are buying a Porsche SUV, then then performance and handling is a major consideration.

I have not driven the the new Porsche, but, based on the information you have more horse power and better stability... and I am sure our refinements for performance and handling.

Just my opinion.

Aloha.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    The reason I like European (German, British) high end cars is because they don't look ancient in three years time like so many maunfacturers. Small change is the key to this. My Cayenne will always look like a Cayenne.
    Agreed. I love my 04 Cayenne S. Its a beautifully designed car, has great looks and great curves. Just because something is the second generation doesnt' necessarily mean it doesn't have to be a complete change. Its more of an "evolution" not a revolution, like many of the car magazines talk about. You obviously have a lot of time before your "third generation" Cayenne comes out....