Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• i_drivei_drive Member Posts: 35
    Kind of hoping about $4,000-$5,000 off. Is that too unreasonable? Too early maybe?
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    That will not happen for a while.
    "that will not happen for a while."

well, I was saying that I would probably buy it (maybe lease it- does Porsche have good lease deals on the Cayenne?) in March/April/May/June time period.

I've tried leasing on the ML320. We just bought it back from MB. Now i wish I had just returned the car back to MB and switch into a Cayenne S (the Cayenne is for my daughter; the S would be for my wife).
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    released....it may be a few months before deep discounts happen. Figure end of the year, DEc2004, would be best if you absolutely want the best price.

I could not wait, so paid about $2500 off MSRP for mine.

Could have gotten another $4000 off if I waited until Dec.

but I'm glad I got it....what a smooth,safe car..! Didn't mind the extra price.....:-)
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    You really like the looks of it enough to buy two? Just can't over the fact that the Infiniti seems more like a Porsche than the Cayenne. Styling is, of course, a matter of personal taste...

Anyways, sugggest you go in planning to buy two at the same time, for the right price. I'm sure a dealership will work with you for the honor of unloading two of them at once. Tell your dealer you want to buy a Cayenne at 10% off. Wait for a reaction. Then tell him you want to buy two. See what happens. Big bonus if you'll take two from his immediate inventory. Good luck.
    FYI

dropped off at the dealer this morning saw a V6 in the new gold color, MSRP 54K Salesman said he "might" be able to work with me because of my S, but that that one and the next 6 coming in are already sold.
    yep......seems Cayenne is filling a market niche.
    If others are trying to take some of the sports car market, then I don't see why Porsche should not make and sell Cayenne V6 ......there is a market for them.

Also.....about the other forum.....some have been saying that they prefer SUV over minivan.....for utility and performance reasons. I have no problem, since I have driven a VW van 1979, and a 1994 Previa, for a total of 20 years. All my best friends and their families own minivans, and the 2 closest to me both have Quests: 1995 and 1996. Both run well and have beat my Previa up the mountains many times......
    I agree that the Quest is an excellent MV.

but I prefer your Cay S for long trips.... :-)
    Well I'm positive about getting a V6 for my daughter, but my wife- i don't know.

She really likes the Infiniti FX45, '04 BMW X5, and the Cayenne S. Overall, granted, the FX has the best "bang-for-the-buck" in my opinion, vs. the BMW or the Cayenne (V6 or S)

In general, no one in our family is annoyed by the styling of the Cayenne, and infact, are addicted to it in the color black.

hmm... seems as though getting ANYTHING at all off the V6 will be hard. maybe in a 2-3 months things will loosen up a bit.

a question that i can't seem to solve on Porsche website:
    What exactly is the "sport aluminum package"? Does it just add the aluminum trim inside, or does it do anything outside? (like the rear upper bumper guard...)

and "automatic climate control" is just auto A/C, right?

We caught our eyes off a new Cayenne V6 in our dealership yesterday. Black/grey = beautiful. Can't wait to get our hands on one (maybe two?) of them!
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    The "sport aluminum package" is for the interior trim on the dashboard and car door.

"automatic climage control" is auto A/C

I'd go for the Cay S. Too many X5s on the road. If you do get the X5. Please don't the Silver. There must be millions of Silver X5s on the road already.

Stylng on FX isn't as nice as Cay. After 6 months with my Cay Turbo, I still get a lot of stares and "wow" looks. :-)
    i'm not too familiar with Porsche options (mainly MB, BMW, Lexus...)

when you say car door, is that the trim pieces on the bottom of the side doors or the trim on the bottom of the trunk lid? I'm concerned because I know my daughter and she'll need that piece of metal-protector on the rear bumper.

no way X5. my wife thinks its ok, but i agree with you; there're too many X5's on the road. the FX is unique, but the suspension is too harsh, and the styling is a bit too wild, despite its great fit-n-finish.

my biggest concern is the trade in value of the ML. It's a 1999 ML320, beautiful condition (only 15,910 miles for a 5-year-old car! pampered garage car). We'll probably trade that in for the Cayenne V6. We've shopped around many dealers and the highest there're willing to offer is $19,014. Had no idea ML's held such little value.

I noticed when doing on-line inventory @ dealers websites in so. cal that a lot of them have black/black or grey Cayenne V6 w/ 18" turbo wheels, sport aluminum package, auto A/C, and htd. front seats w/ htd. steering wheel options on them. Is that just a popular combination (hey- i like that too) or what Porsche AG allocated to them? Just curious because we happen to like that combo.

i_Drive.
    yeah, my cayenne gets lots of looks too.

drove it to the Monterey Bay Aquarium last week. lots of pedestrians, and lots of people stopped to stare inside and do a walk around.....just too aggressive and different for some . For others, it is not acceptable if a SUV is not cube shaped with corners, instead of rounded lines like the Cayenne and fx45....love it.
     Coming up on my first service....oil change.....

what do you like the best about your Cayenne ??
    I don't know what the sport Aluminum package is either ....but I think Joe is right ......it is the inserts that are real aluminum, not the diff. wood inserts. They add a more sporty touch, though the wood adds luxurious feeling.

I think the bottom of the trunk lid is always the metal one, to allow easy loading and protect the area from abrasion.

I think the bumper does not have metal, but I could be wrong.

am I close, mudman ??

Also, I do think you are right when considering the Cayenne....it does add prestige and performance and eye catching style. If you are in that area, why not go all the way ??
    I am not sure I like this but I come back after parking somewhere and quite often there are finger prints on the glass of both front doors where people have tried to see inside (I got them tinted).

I wash it a lot anyway so its fun the attention even if your not there when it happens.

On the down side, I got my first ticket last weekend, drat !!!! (guilty)
    yeah, I seldom wash mine, which is not good....got to start....

too much finger prints... !

sorry to hear about the tickets......
    I heard that you can sometimes ask the police officer to give you a local city ordinance ticket, where the city still gets the money, but they do not count as a point on your driving record. Thats what happened to me about 3 months ago.... :-(

hope you have fun.
    I'm bringing my cay to a work out this weekend down to LA, about a 6 hr drive.......(5 hr in the cay.... :-) )
  • porschehead1porschehead1 Member Posts: 4
    I recently replaced my 2002 BMW 530 with a Cayenne S after my BMW became a sled on my slushy steep driveway. I couldn't be happier. I feel like it handles much tighter than the 530 once you get used to being up higher.

My wife and I,along with many friends, all feel the Cayenne most resembles an English taxi cab, especially in the black I purchased. In fact, it is so similar I'm sure one of the designers got"inspired" while in the U.K. Any thoughts?

I also blacked out the emblem, heated off the Cayeene S, and spray painted over the wheel creasts. I like it better and all staring has since ceased.
    so essentially, it says 'Cayenne S' in black, like the V6 Cayenne? I am curious about this because I am somewhat ticked off by the 'Cayenne' in black. do you think dealerships will remove the original black 'Cayenne' and put on just the first part of 'Cayenne S' in white? I don't want to put the 'S' part because it isn't a S Model. I just want to have white letters when it should be black.

Do dealerships do this? How much do they charge for such a request? Because I like the silver/white trim 'Cayenne S' and it matches the exterior aluminum trim, compared to black (esp. if i'm getting the cayenne in black)
    glad you are enjoying your new cayenne....!
  • cw_rockcw_rock Member Posts: 5
    I am a first time Porsche buyer and considering the Cayenne S or the V6. I have an ML500 now. The Cayenne is so much nicer.

How much of a discount from the sticker price can I expect? I like to get rock bottom prices. Mercedes dealers are very easy to bargain with, but I have no experience with Porsche and I found their salemen to be a bit arrogant.

I heard that you can get $5-7,000 off the sticker for an S, or about $1,500 about invoice. How much do you think I can get a Cayenne V6 for? I don't plan on getting too many options. What do you think the price would be in 3 months from now?

I'd sincerely appreciate any advice from experienced Porsche buyers. I am leaning toward the V6.
    read a few posts ago , someone asked the same.

it may be a while, though the price may come down sooner. All makers are selling older models at discount, but newer models do command a premium.

good luck and happy hunting
    it seems as though we're in the same boat... trading in MB ML's for a Cayenne V6!

Not much luck in San Diego area... I walked into Pioneer Centres Porsche today and after an hour or so, we began to talk prices. I asked him "what could he do for me." And the response?

"Nope. No can do."

That's it. Not a lick more or less. Fortunately, I also had business this morning up in the LA area and was able to have enough time to shop around several Porsche centers. One of them was willing $2,000 off MSRP, but I shall have to come in myself to see. They also said that they have "lots of them in stock."

Kind of hoping myself if i can get close to $3,500-$4,000 off, but that sounds unrealistic for now. Maybe around Feb/March, but for now, it seems as though the most you'll get is $1,000 (more or less?)

The Cayenne S- you can get great deals on right now. Considering whether or not I should get the S right now for my wife, but for some reason, she is hesitant to leave her beloved ML320.

i_Drive
    ok i know this is really a small thing but it's been bothering me for quite some time.

Is the Sports Aluminum Package for the Cayenne V6 include the trim on the doors, trim that circles the front dash controls, shift area, and circles rear air vents? I'm confused because online, i've seen several Cayenne's with the wood package with aluminum trim circling the front dash.

Is it worth paying for that package? I've riden in many Cayenne's with the standard Titanium-package. It's OKAY- i don't like the bumpy texture on it though. That raises another point- on the '04 models, did Porsche stop doing that? I've also seen lots of photos of Cayenne's in the "standard trim" and it seems to be smooth, not bumpy with miniature "ooooooooooooooooooo" in rows. It would be great if anyone knows anything about this package because I have to get ready for pricing this "hot pepper" out.

and also, i've come down to two colors- either the standard flat Black, or the optional Basalt-Black metallic. I like both colors, (flat black would be nice if i could keep it waxed and shiney clean all the time here in So. Cal) and basalt black has its advantages (our ML is Black Opal Metallic; she likes metallic colors because they're not as borring). the only problem is that I don't have often too much time to wash the car, and knowing my daughter, she isn't going to wash it too often either. Will a "dirty-black" color look even dirtier and ugly if it doesn't get washed too often? It's just that I've seen sooooo many waxed Black Cayenne's out on the road, and it makes me envious. Does anyone out there have Basalt Black Cayenne's out there? What are your opinions of that color? I'm also planning on getting grey leather w/ alu package, and of course, 18" Turbo Wheels.

Sorry i keep of rambling, but i noticed out of all the Cayenne S models i see on the road, literally, almost 100% of them have the optional 18" Turbo rims on them. Are the Standard 'S' ones that unpopular? I've got to admit, it's not exactly the most sylish one out there.

i_Drive
    I recently went through the parts computer with my dealer looking for the Alu trim for around my PCM (standard is black).

There are 2 different finishes, bright and flat, not sure where one is used vs the other.
    I have the cay TT, and I go up to the snow a lot, and thus preferred the mud and snow tires on the S rims. I just did not like the daisy shaped turbo rims....but that is just me. I'm probably the only one in the US who traded in his turbo 18" rims for the 18" S rims. We are very happy with the looks and performance of the M+S tires and S rims.

Look in the catalog/pamphlet, it shows (limited view) of how a wood trim may differ from the aluminum trim. I have the aluminum, and have already dented (a little) the driver side door trim....don't know how it happened. Sorry, don't know what else is different about the trims....suggest you go to dealer and compare each car, as the salesman may not know either.

As to color, it is a matter of personal taste. I do remember getting advice when I was buying a Civic, that the darker colors do show the dust/soil more, specially the metallic dark colors. Therefore, we bought a white Civic, cause I did not want to wash it that often.

Now mine is a titanium grey metallic , and it hides the dirt fine,,,,,but I still am a laggard when it comes to washing...... :-(
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview someone who bought a car within the past six months. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information, make and model of car, and incentives applied to the purchase by 10 AM Pacific on Friday, January 16, 2004.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dandmandandman Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy the S. Wondering if Albacore's, hotpepper's, imegary's and other owners' problems have been fixed?
    I do hope they come back and let us all know what happened.

I , for one, did not have any problems with my car, none.

On the other hand, my Previa was delivered with no power steering fluid, so I was driving with a loud creakkkkkk, at 38 miles on the odometer.....

taking it on a long trip this weekend....hope to get better than 17 mpg.
    I know it's not my right to be a nosey parker, but i find it very interesting in how you used to drive Honda's and Toyota Previa's but now, are driving the most desirable SUV (not to mention expensive!) on the plamet- the Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Hey- i started out with nothing (literally) from England, but am now driving an S430. I don't know- it just seems strange how you keep refering to your past cars, and they just seem so different from the cars you drive now.

Anyways... back to the Cayenne. (sorry about that highender, but i just had to mention that)
    Where you from ? I'm from brown ale country, howay the lads
    Proud to be from sunny California, where it's a chilly 71 degrees out (it's freezing, literally, East Coast now!) Actually, in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego. It's amazing how hot it is here, after comming back from NYC for a couple of days.

Also, while there, i had a brother who just bought a new '04 Lexus RX330. All i can say is-

YUK (x200)

He paid close to $46,000, and i really don't think it was worth it. Had advised him to consider the FX35/45 and Cayenne V6, but now, he always has to be perfect, and said the Lexus was better. I seriously think the Cayenne drives superior to the RX330. It is more silent, though, the Lex. hahaha now he regrets the purchase.

There are also A LOT, i mean a lot of Cayenne's, part. the Turbo, in NYC. It seems black is the "in-style" in New York.

Yep, i'm a british lad, but lost my accent a bit (after being harassed by my kids and friends)

i_Drive.
    My Cayenne came aluminum and I just got the walnut upgrade which I installed myself. In the photos of the cars with the walnut upgrade, Porsche actually didn't bother to put in all the pieces that you actually get with the upgrade and left some of the plastic aluminum pieces in. I made my dealer in bend, OR send me the actual spec sheet before I ordered and all the pieces were actually included. The photo shows the glove box button, trim around the PCM, console. etc. without the walnut. You actually get all of these pieces when you purchase the upgrade.

It is somewhat sloppy and you can't rely on the pictures in the brochure. Ask for the spec sheet from the dealer before you order if you have any doubts. Certainly it is worth the $850, especially if yours came with the walnut steering wheel already as mine did.
    I simply wanted to tone down the Cayenne and heated off the Cayenne S- It came off in pieces, but left no marks. I painted over the front crest in black touch up paint and looks good, but very subtle. I also simply popped out the plastic wheel caps and used silver spray paint and like it better.

As it is very easy to remove the Cayenne on the back as it is simply stuck on with adhesive, I'm sure the dealer could easily apply any available Cayenne in any available color. I couldn't imagine it costing more than the emblem itself plus a 1/2 hour labor at the most.

Hope this helps.
    I'm was born on the East Coast, but been in SF Bay Area for a long time.
    1st Porsche was a 1982 928, then a 968 for a year, then a Boxster S for 2 years....but needed more utility. Had also 1974 Datsun B210, which I once stuffed 9 college pals into, 1977 VW Scirroco, then 1984 Lynx, 1979VW van, 1990 Civic,1994 Previa, 1994 Jag XJ-12......didn't like the lack of utility, and Previa was getting old, so stayed with Porsche and got utility to boot.

Yeah, I started out on the bottom too.....once had to eat...you don't want to know. Just wanted something different...... too many RX330 and BMW X5 s.....!

stay with it .... :-)
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    The Porsche manual says somewhere as I remember it that an oil change is needed in the 20K range. My Porsche advisor changes his mind everytime I ask him about when I should change my oil. He has said 10K, then 15K then 20K. What's realistic? I have the Cay TT. Also, I have a Porsche enthusiast friend who owns a 911 4S and he says 10K is best for any Porsches.
  • jasdmdjasdmd Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am getting ready to buy a Cayenne S - presently shopping around and deciding which options are important to me. Wanted to get an approximate idea what people are paying over invoice, or what they are getting off MSRP.
    Also, any input on whether to go with the performance tires with snow tires in the winter - or - all season tires. I plan on 18" and live in the northeast.
    Thanks!
    I would do the first at 5K and then every 10K. This may seem old fashined, but I would still do the first early to remove any metal filings, etc. From then on 10K for the average driver. Folks in NYC and the like might do every 7500
  • imegaryimegary Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for not reporting to board sooner....brought
    S in for service...and was waiting a few days to see if fixes lasted more than a few cycles of driving.

First the upgrade to the lurching problem and lack of downshifting in auto when braking has been fixed with the TSB upgrade....I had the number off another board and the dealer finally found it and did it.

As far as all the other problems...only one key could be used...second key wiped out all settings
    radio would mute...horn signal could not be set..
    some lack of warning lights on start-up...etc.

Believe or it not all problems were fixed with the exchange of a control module. In fact certain functions I was not aware of began to work...one being the driver seat retuning to memory when door opens on exit if I adjusted it while driving.

The only problem I am aware of that has not been fixed is the 3000 mile service warning...it counts down 3000-2900-2800 etc.

My lights have moisture in them but it disappears overnight.

The dealer do not put part# of control module on service order it was located in side panel behind rear seats.

I know there must be a way to eliminate service warnings...as the dealer must do it after oil change, if anybody knows how this is done HELP.

FYI dealer stated horn signal is common problem...as well as a/c control module, mine was replaced as it would go to REST and HEAT and the defroster would go on without manually actuating.

This could be a safety issue in that windows fogged up

As of now I am really enjoying the car and it has earned my confidence. HOPE THIS HELPS I KNOW THIS IS LONG WINDED BUT I WANTED TO BE UNDERSTOOD.
  • llspepper2llspepper2 Member Posts: 17
    Ordered an S and waiting for delivery in march. Thanks for the follow up.
    Just ordered a Cayenne V6; expecting delivery around February 2nd (my daughter's birthday).

Exterior: Black
    Interior: Grey

Additional
    Equipment:
    1G6 - 17" Collapsible Spare Tire
    CJ6 - 18" Cayenne Turbo Wheel
    5TE - Sports Aluminum Package
    342H - Front Seat Htr Incl. Strng Whl
    C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
    S0C - Cayenne Launch Correct
    L01 - Cayenne Launch Code-Function
    9AD - Automatic Climate Control

MSRP:
    $47,195.00

------------
    HOWEVER--- have any of you heard of this special Cayenne V6 lease? Only $399/mo! 10,000 miles/year. I had to pry my way through the salespeople to get any info about this special lease. I was shocked.

The only problem remaining is what to do with the ML. I have a sister all the way in NYC that's interested in buying it from us for her daughter (she must be so jealous at mine). do any of you know how much shipping costs from SD to NY? I tried to find out online, but none of the sites would tell me without giving out information.

the reason why I don't want to trade-in to Porsche is because of the horrible trade-in. only $16,000! I mean, our ML is a garaged-baby. the longest drive it's ever been on was to the dealership (i'm not joking). and believe it or not, it only has 16,700 miles, and the guy at Hoehn said he'll pay between $15-$17,000. Very very depressing. And to think that I just payed MB Credit $23,000 for the ML (bought it back after 3-year lease). i had no idea the ML resale value was thaaaaat low.

Well, 1 out of 2 completed (gonna order the Cayenne S!)
  • cw_rockcw_rock Member Posts: 5
    i_drive:

Can you please give me some info on the $399 lease deal you mentioned? That sounds great!

How much is the down / drive off?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of what they paid out the door for a Cayenne S?

If I put $5,000 drive off, how much is the monthly payment including tax?

THanks
    cw_rock:
    Ok. It's accepted nation-wide (should be!) because apparently, this deal is through Porsche. It's $399 per month + tax, 5-year lease. $3,500 down. Residual 45% ($20,200). Max 10,000 miles/year.

I've never seen such a great deal in a while (i mean, what Mercedes can you get for $399/month?)

I'm not sure how long this deal will last, but because it's a national program, almost all dealers should accept it and should mention it to you.

sounds like a steal, huh?

unfortunately, there is no special lease for the Cayenne S (maybe- i didn't research that)
    Nice description !

Be on the ear out(like lookout) for any low frequency droan, midships between 40 and 60. Some 04'S and a lot of 03's have a bad drive shaft.
    agree that the sooner the initial oil change the better, at about 7500 I did mine. Again just to get rid of the metal scraps.....though Porsches' tolerances are much closer than for other car makers.....and pieces fit better.
    thanks for the info....and have lots of fun.

don't let the small stuff worry you. Porsches are not like Hondas, which you never have much problems, but neither are you going to stand out and have fun ....

Porsches are like good friends....pay attention, give a lot, invest your time and money....and they stay with you forever.... :-)
    congrats on your orders!

we love the car.......and enjoyed it this past long weekend.
    helloo: just got back from my 900 mile trip to LA.....
    Going down at night, was able to reach 105 ( I know, its against the law...but it felt like 60 mph....smooth and stable)on a lonely stretch....and slowed behind a white unmarked Lincoln towncar. good thing I didn't past, cause then I noticed the "E" on the rear license plate....then as I was cruising at 70, and this other car paced me from behind......for about 3 or 5 miles, then past me.....it was a CHP, but he and this unmarked car then went ahead, and not long after pulled over a small sedan....I was lucky I guess....whewww.

At the Paradise Pier Hotel...we got there at 9:15 at night, and Disney closes at 10 pm. Drove straight up, explained to the valet....he said he would take very good care of the car, then let all 4 of us hop on the company VIP car and gave us a ride straight to the gates....we got in at 9:30, and in 30 minutes got in 6 rides!! then the valet came back to pick us up and deliver us back to the hotel!!! Boy, I think the Cayenne opened the VIP door for us !!!

Today on the way back, on I-5, I past another silver Cayenne, and the driver and his family raced to catch up....then we exchanged smiles and thumbs up and "air high fives"......just great.....when I see you guys, I'll make sure to wave and high five too...... :-) !!!
  • llspepper2llspepper2 Member Posts: 17
    I certainly need to be patient waiting for the march delivery. I am encouraged by your 100+ cruise with stability from the cay. What suspension setting did you use? Just sold my 400 Benz and living with a rental....
    yeah.....it was too easy, so that at 100 mph( no other cars nearby), I am barely stepping on the throttle, so it wants to go even more..... when you get yours you better watch out, cause cruising at 100 it is very stable, so you may not even realize you are going that fast., ; when you get yours you will know what I mean.
    No wind noise, no buffeting , no vibrations, no soft steering, no side wind push.

At 90 mph ( no other cars nearby ) my suburban is at its max, and the vehicle is vibrating and fighting the wind and is less stable. Same goes for the Toyota Previa that I had.

I placed the air suspension on the lowest possible for freeway driving, which is one level below normal, or position 4, low level. It is 1.1 inches below normal level.....and is recommended for increased handling agility, and improved high speed stability. The chasis is also stiffer at this level, according to the pamphlet.

hope you get yours soon. :-)

hope you get
  • hotpepperhotpepper Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delay in updating everyone, but the problem was only now discovered, hopefully permanently.

The root of the problem was a bent relay in the airbag subsystem. It was intermittent, so it was very difficult to isolate. While I was not happy to be without my Cayenne for so long, the Porsche dealership was outstanding in how they handled it. The Boxter they loaned me helped to ease the pain, and they kept me informed on a regular basis. They had Porsche USA scratching their heads, too.

As it turns out, all of the prior electrical problems I mentioned were symptoms, caused by the bad relay. They replaced control units, servo motors, the battery and alternator. Cayennes, by design, cut off power on a sequential basis to non-essential components for self protection when it detects a problem. When it detected the problem caused by the relay, it closed down the components that we thought were failing. It also lets you drive it until it is turned off. Then it won't let any juice get through ,so it won't start. If anyone has more info on this design, please post it.

I've also encountered the problems reported about the rear washer and the headlights fogging. I haven't yet discussed with the dealer, but I have noted the PSB's on these problems. I'm just happy to have it running again.

Despite the problems I encountered, this is an incredible vehicle!!!
    Glad you are back, in your Cay...!

I read that all the electrical and electromechanical systems costs about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total cost..! It is complicated. In fact, the simple turning on the ignition requires the sequential powering up of diff systems ......and vice versa when turning off. The systems have their own backup battery......

so far, nothing has gone wrong, not even mis-aligned headlights.....but like any car, things will go wrong........Murphys Law... :-)

thanks for the info......good for troubleshooting.
    while it may seem stupid that the mechanics cannot figure out some of the problems, and downright frustrating that they keep saying they are working on it,,,, please understand that this is one of the most complex vehicles ever made......and has major electrical and electromechanical systems that take time and accumulating experience to figure out.

I was talking to the main mechanic at my dealership, and saw that they all had a laptop for communicating with Porsche engineers and with other mechanics, as well as flow charts.....they are working on it,,,but there is a learning curve....and it will start going up. These are not little 4 cylinder engines of yester year.

Also, please be cognizant of the fact that this is a very safe and complex vehicle, and heavy....but still can get 15 to 18 mpg...which is excellent....compared to a 4 cylinder Previa, which gets only 20 mpg. So the Cay gets relatively great mpg.
        also...with all that the Cayenne has, its price is not bad.....remember a turbo 911 is upwards of $125,000 ....and a regular 911 six cylinder which cannot go offroad , is still north of $70,000....

so its a great vehicle....concentrate on the big stuff, the enjoyment, the fun and lux...and don't sweat about the small stuff.

:-)