Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• jenwamjenwam Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, especially engprof,
    I'm new to Town Hall, but wanted to offer my praises for my '92 silver Miata, which has 141,000 miles on it. It's been garage-kept for most of its life and is still pretty as can be. Slightly faded, yes, but not a lot. She still sparkles when I wash and wax her. I love silver cars cz they don't show the dirt much. I had a white car and was washing the darn thing every whip stitch! It's silver for me.
  • engprofengprof Member Posts: 9
    I appreciate the information on your silver '92 Miata, jenwam. Silver had been my first choice, with white a close second, until I started having second thoughts, all because of being warned about silver paint jobs fading. Now, thanks to your comments, I've restored silver to my #1 choice. Bet it really looks good with a black ragtop!

Incidentally, I'd hoped to have my toy by now, but it appears that potential sellers are holding out for warmer temps (and higher prices?) before they unload.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yep, I have White since I bought used, but no way would I have chosen that color.

But go too dark and it's even worse, you sort of want a color inbetween.

-juice
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased a 1993 Miata and the owners manual is missing. Does anyone know where I can get another 93 owner manual? Thanks.
    A Mazda dealer might carry one, that would be your best shot.

Try Miata.net for relevant info, though. Far better than what's in the manual, check out the garage if you want, the FAQ page, etc.

In my experience, Miata.net has been better than my '93 owner's manual and my Chilton's combined!

-juice
  • sammy_chung1sammy_chung1 Member Posts: 3
    I've overheat problem and replace water pump, thermostat, and radiator, water hose. Right now the coolant flew from radiator to coolant bottle when engin is hot. But it did not flew back when engin is cold.
    Can someone help me to debug the problem? Is it because of radiator valve? thermostat? or head gasket?
  • dukerinodukerino Member Posts: 2
    hello. I have a wonderful '92 with 64,000 trouble-free miles; I bought it in '94 with 25K miles.
    I absolutely love my car - even though I only drive it on weekends as living in the NY City area doesn't afford me the opportunity to commute in my little car; this is probably a good thing, actually.
    has anyone had problems with the radio (Am-Fm/CAssette)? Mine is generally balky about coming on when I push the on button; typically, after driving around 30 minutes is will come on.
    Curious if anyone has heard of this and if you are aware of remedies or the best shops to have it fixed. thanks!
    Check the fuses, if not I'd replace it. You'll find $99 specials with free installation, that for a single CD model. I doubt you could fix it for less than that.

-juice
  • dukerinodukerino Member Posts: 2
    Juice. thanks for the comeback.
    couple of things - if the radio comes on and plays fine after a while - could it actually be a loose fuse? (I'm certain I have a few loose screws, not sure about fuses!)
    Also - re: replacing with an aftermarket model - is it designed for the miata? will the headrest speakers work?
    I don't really care so much about the car no longer being "stock," I am fearful of shoddy work on my "baby". Appreciate your insights!
    My concern would be whether enough watts were being sent to those channels.

Miata.net's garage has lots of info on the stereo, I'd check there. Mine is still stock.

I have seen some 6CD changers from Tributes for sale on E-bay for about $180. That's cheap, and the harness supposedly plugs right in. Getting the dash apart is not that hard, I've done it all the way up to the shifter (and you can replace the gear oil in the shift turret while you're at it).

Another option to consider. I have the Mazda Sensory Sound that is supposedly sought after, but it skips like crazy and only takes 1 CD at a time, so I might replace it.

-juice
  • bluesunlionbluesunlion Member Posts: 38
    Don't rule out a grounding problem. I had a new stereo installed in my miata, and suffered similar symptoms. I took it back in, and ended up with a bad ground that was behind the stereo.
    If this is the original stereo, the ground could have come loose some time previous.
    Also, IIRC, the earlier M1 miatas have a slightly narrower area to install the radio into.
    My aftermarket alpine slid into the slot fine, but the outer bezel required a little time on a belt sander. Finished product looks fine, performs well! If you go aftermarket, just make sure that they hook up your headrest speakers, and if they sound terrible, open up the seat covers and check them out. My stock headrest speakers were toast!
    Hope that helps-Rachel
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    That is a known problem with Miata radios. Not too hard to fix, but you will have to take the radio out & send it away for repair. Here is a link to the problem & it's fix.

http://www.miata.net/garage/radio.html

You can reach Jeff here mailto:jeffanderson@miata.net
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Premiering October 7!!!

Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesday nights - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.
  • ghayesghayes Member Posts: 1
    Just purrchased a 1999 MX5 with just 26000 miles,a beautiful car,Vehicle is equiped with Sport suspensionn,Strut brace,Large Wheels and Michlin Pilot low profile tires,thing handles like crazy,rides like a GOKart,and is very noisy inside at speed,Is the noise normal?I dont believe this car has any sound deading material at all.Suspension is beyond hard!!Love the car just wish it were a little quieter inside,Please let me know if you have any suggestions!George
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    1. Post these types of questions on the "real" MX-5 board.

2. The Miata is a relatively low-budget, bare bones sports car. It is not a Camry so yeah, it's noisy. Many hard-core people think that sound-deadening material would only detract from the Miata's ability by adding weight.

My suggestion would be to simply put the top down so that the only interior noise you'll hear will be the wind! If you're one of those that likes to drive around with the top up all the time, consider getting a hard top and a better sound system.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Stop by tonight and meet some of your fellow Mazda enthusiasts!

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • fxmfxm Member Posts: 1
    i am looking at an 01 LS silver miata with beige top 32K,, never purchased used car but this one looks good, any suggestions?
    I prefer the 01+ years the best myself but they do have VVT and need premium fuel to operate their best. With 91 octane costing well over $2 around here, that may be a factor for you, YMMV. The only issues with the 01's that are of any concern at all is a clutch shudder in many of the 01's. You probably won't notice it unless the car is cold.
  • whatcarwhatcar Member Posts: 1
    my father is under the impression that a miata is expensive to repair and will need it often. is there any truth behind this? what are some of your repairs and costs?
    My 1990 has over 130,000 miles on it and runs like a top. The only "expensive" repairs I can think of would be maintainence items like new soft tops ($800 or so to have it professionally done). Then again, my local Ford dealer wanted $300+ for a tune-up....I can tune-up my Miata by myself in under an hour while downing malted beverage for under $50.

The Miata is quite well known for being bullet-proof in terms of reliability...nothing like its British counterparts of old.
    Yep, that's exactly what I spent on a Robbins soft top, $800 installed with a glass windows but no defrost.

Clutch slave kit was $10.74.

Gas cap I lost (my fault) was $28, kinda pricey.

Some parts can get pricey if you go OE and don't use a wholesaler, but generally I'd say no, this is a reliable car that is cheap to maintain.

-juice
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I think your dear old dad has the Miata confused with the MG's of his youth.;-) Miata's are most reliable machines. Like any car they do require periodic maintenance.

Chuck
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Our weekly Mazda chat rolls around again!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • miata4ashleymiata4ashley Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a '91 miata after 1 month of fun driving the stick shift is nearly impossible to put into any gear. Took to mechanic and you guessed it, problem disappeared. Later that night had to run to store, sat in car 25minutes before being able to wrangle shifter into reverse then fought with it to get into first, 2nd etc.. Any ideas? see you this evening :)
    If you open the center console and get into the shifter turret, it's supposed to be full of gear oil.

By now your '91's rubber turret has surely torn, the oil has leaked. Replace that and fill with 75w90 and that should work wonders.

-juice
    Thank you. I missed the time slot last evening for member chat :( but thank you for your post. Will come back next Tuesday.
  • unicounico Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 miata has died twice while idleing when warm (once in rush hour traffic and once at bank drive through) and would not restart untill it had cooled off a bit. If I'm going 30 mph or above, didn't have any problems, or while cool. Computer shows a P1345 code. Anyone had this happen to them or heard about it, and if so, what was the fix? Only 32K on it so far.
    Turns out to be the master slave clutch, ty.
  • leo9leo9 Member Posts: 2
    After months of agonizing over which car to buy I finally took the plunge yesterday and bought a new '04 Miata - Silver base model with blue interior package. I'll pick it up today.
    I usually experience buyer's remorse after buying 'big ticket' items, but not in this case - I can't wait to bring this puppy home.
    I had been considering an RX-8 but I decided I wanted a rag top that didn't have a drinking problem.
    I want to express my thanks to forum members - your postings provided me with a wealth of information. Happy driving.
  • johnnyangeljohnnyangel Member Posts: 2
    I'm on the verge of buying my 2nd Miata. From 1994 to 2001 I owned a 1990 5 speed Miata and loved every day of driving it. Bought it with 77,500 miles on it... Let it go at 205,000 miles total and bought a new 2001 Toyota Camry LE at below invoice price. Nice car, couldn't be more reliable, 83,000 trouble-free miles. Just one thing ... It's BORING!!!!! Got the itch and started looking at the new RX-8. I also owned a 1973 Mazda RX-2 for 3 years '73-'76, later bought a brand new 1980 RX-7 in Dec '79 and drove IT 205,000 miles before I bought the '94 Miata. But I digress.... I like the RX-8 but have read enough about its gas consumption (I remember the thirsty RX-7)So with gas prices approaching $2.50/gal ... I started thinking about Miata again. I'm considering buying a brand new leftover 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata (yes some dealers still have them). Its a Velocity Red Mica beauty and 2 dealers each have a Red one in stock.... Sale prices around $22,000 minus the Mazda mfg cash back of $3250 and again minus $500 College Grad program which my wife qualifies for. So roughly $18 and a half. This is actually less than what the Edmunds and Kelley private party prices are and around trade in value for Edmunds and Kelley. Whadda ya think -- Good deal????? Thanks for any replies.
    Unreal prices. Congrats. Not too long ago that would've cost $25 grand.

-juice
    $18.5K is a great price for a MSM (I'm assuming you're talking about an 04). The best I've heard of so far was about $19.2K

I'm not sure about going back to 91 octane fuel so if I was to buy my third Miata I'd probably look for a 2000 Evo Orande LS....I kinda miss the smell of leather.
    Technically, 1999 was the last model year where Mazda didn't recommend premium fuel.

-juice
    VVT didn't arrive until 01, I'm pretty sure that the 00's do not recommend 91.
    Really? I thought it was 2000.

Maybe I avoid 2000 models for a different reason, was that the year with the clutch chatter?

-juice
    That was more of an 01-early 02 problem. The 99 had the #4 issue. The 00 as far as I know is quite sound, I don't know why you would avoid them.

I like the idea of the 00 Evo orange b/c its a flashy color, it has an air bag cut off, it has a "low-tech" 87 octane burning motor and the LS has the comfort goodies that I miss in my 90 A-package (power windows, LSD, leather seat smell, etc.)
  • cmoffatcmoffat Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I just bought a 2001 MX-5 AND I love it. However my roof top latch on the right side will not lock into place. I took it to the dealer but they said it would cost me $200 dollars and that it is not covered under the extended warranty. Should have guessed that, I was wondering if I order the part myself would a person with no car expereince be able to install it. Unless someone has some other trouble shooting ideas. Thanks.
    I think you'll need a good torx wrench but it doesn't look hard to do. Buy it on-line from a wholesaler, you won't even pay state sales tax. $200 sounds ridiculously high.

thel: also, you don't have to unzip the rear window. That would be nice.

-juice
    I got a no-zipper glass window aftermarket top for my 90 last year....it's easy to see through but the quality is not up to par with the OEM.
  • rpalaciosrpalacios Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Miata with 160K miles humms or chatters when shifted into any gears while starting. I can't tell whether the noise continues while I'm actually driving.

Anyone experience this also?
    If the rpms get erratic and the clutch pedal feels spongy, I bet it's the clutch slave cylinder.

I got a rebuild kit for $11 at NAPA. Also get brake fluid because you will have to bleed the whole system.

-juice
  • johnnyangeljohnnyangel Member Posts: 2
    Yes here's a follow up... to my original post 3 weeks later on Sat Apr 16th bought my VR 04 MSM from Thousand Oaks Mazda for $18,250 ... $8,000 off MSRP.
    Fantastic car!!! Ya can't go wrong and the deals are out there, but the4 inventory is slowly dwindling. Any prospective MSM buyers can take a chance and wait for even lower prices but that also means less color selection. I got what I wanted and I am very happy!!
  • wolfordwolford Member Posts: 1
    Ashley -- I too have the same problem with my 91.

How much did you spend on fixing the "master slave clutch" ? What part of the country are you in? I live near AnnArbor(Detroit) Michigan.

How many miles do you have on your miatia....I've got 78K

Isn't it a fun car!!!! (when it's working)

Thanks for responding.
  • chadwick300chadwick300 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I will be buying a new car in a year or so and I am torn between a Mustang GT and a Mazda Miata. I really don't care if it's a convertible or not, its just not that important to me. If I get the Mustang it will be for the neck straining acceleration, but if I get the Miata it will be for the more sophisticated handling and shifting. What is the most fun? Accelleration, or handling?
    Because different people will give you different answers.

Here's my take. Speed limits are low, enforcement is high. Nowadays there are speeding cameras everywhere so speed even a little and you'll get a $75 ticket in the mail that can't really be defended in court. So you just pay.

So you can't drive fast in a straight line. Big waste of 300hp, if you ask me. Buy Exxon/Mobil stock because you'll be subsidizing them with your gas purchases to go 25mph.

Now, look at corners. There is no speed limit on highway off ramps, only "suggested" speeds on yellow signs, they don't ticket you for that. Take turns, curves, corners, have fun, all hassle-free with no tickets. And get better mileage doing it.

I'm from the "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast" school of thinking, and the Mustang's 300hp will only get you in trouble.

-juice
  • chadwick300chadwick300 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I would also like to note that I was talking about acceleration and not overall speed, because you're right, excess speed will get you into trouble. However there is no law on how long you have to take getting to the speed limit from a stop, so long as you don't spin your tire or do anything like that. I am interested in the Miata for the connection is supposedly has for the driver. One huge concern is this: I'm 6'3". I imagine this would be a problem. And the Mustang's 50/50 split folding rear seat offers more utility so that I can fight say, a mountain bike into it. I really don't know I'm torn between the two.
    I'd say you're too big for the current car, but try the MX-5 on for size because it's a few inches roomier in leg room. I'm 6' even and when I sat in one the extra space made a big difference vs. my '93.

-juice
  • tootietootie Member Posts: 1
    OK just bought my first Miata Friday. WOW> 1999..what is #4 issue, something to do with clutch?
    Here's some info link titlebearing issue.
This discussion has been closed.