Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio5

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited March 2014 in Kia

"Kia will offer the lowest-priced station wagon in the world when the 2002 Rio Wagon goes on sale in the summer of 2001." Read the complete article here: 2002 Kia Rio Wagon. Sounds like a lot of car for the dollars. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Went to the NAIAS in Detroit and saw the car up close. For the price, very good fit and finish and ideal for those needing a small wagon for everyday errands. Did not get to sit in it and other than seeing it closely, could not tell much more than this. However, having talked to several owners of the sedan version who have been pleased with their cars, it seems like a good buy for those in need of a vehicle with its' capabilities.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    at the New York Auto Show. Looked nice for the price. As in the above post, viewers couldn't get inside. However, I noticed through the driver's side window that there appeared to be a power mirror switch, which leads me to believe that the Rio Wagon may come equipped with standard (or optional) features which are unavailable on the sedan version. Note that the wagon comes standard with the sedan's optional "upgrade package"

All in all, the wagon comes across as a fine little people & cargo hauler for the money. It looks classier than the sedan. I'd certainly consider buying one.
  • dogangeldogangel Member Posts: 3
    I am very interested in checking out the rio wagon, but no one seems to know when it will come available. Not much new information lately. Does anyone have the inside scoop?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    You may want to try inquiring directly through the Kia Website. Good luck, and please let us know if you find out anything new.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• the_rock73the_rock73 Member Posts: 8
    Welcome to the Swamp!!!
  • autoknologistautoknologist Member Posts: 16
    Since I have a long commute and chew up cars on a regular basis, and with the price of gas fluctuating as much as money on the currency market these days, I need a car that gets good mileage first, comfortable second. I really like wagons, and this one is just gorgeous. So, I have been pestering the local Kia dealers in between work and home. Heres the latest: the wagon (to be called the Rio Cinco, by the way) was suppose to be here already. Instead, the new Sedona MiniVan has started to roll in. So, they (the Dealers) feel that the "RioCinco" (kind of catchy!) should be here bt the end of this month or by mid August. Since the drivetrain of the Wagon will be the same as the sedan, I drove both a Manual and a Automatic version to get an idea of what level of performance I can expect. The manual was fun. The shifts are short and accurate, but a little stiff (although this may loosen with time) This transmission makes the most out of the torque available off the line. (there is only 98 ftlb's available, and it does not peek until 4500 rpm's. pretty high) So, as you can imagine, the Auto Trans is not quite as fun. Unfortunately, Kia may have geared the final drive ratio to allow for better mileage, so the off the line performance leaves one wanting for more. But once it gets moving (and the revs get up there) it moves out pretty well. I imagine it would be just fine on the freeway. I look forward to further postings here and will definitely post as soon as I actually see and drive one.
    Well, there starting to show up in dealers as of this week (7/26/01). It looks better in the flesh then it does in pictures too! The one I looked at was Polar White with Gray interior. It had the manual trans and all available options except ABS. Alloy Wheels, A/I, DC unit, Tilt wheel, Rear Wiper washer, Floor Mats, ETC. However, the wagon portions list had 2 important differences from the Sedan: this one had factory Power Door locks (operated by the drivers door lock post, pull up or push down, with key or by hand, and all the doors (including the tail gate) unlock or lock)Very nice especially, for a wagon. The other: the guages now include a Tachometer! Yeah. With a Manual car I really like having a Tach. This way I always know how hard I am pushing the engine. Also, I had a chance to drive it. It drove like the sedan. Good ride, adequate, if not sparkling, acceleration, a very comfortable driving position. The A/I works quite well, gets and stays cold quickly. The interior, especially in back, is nicer than the sedans. The rear seats have a 60/40 split back and 3 adjustable head rests! (figuring that you may punish one of your friends by putting them in the middle of the back seat between your two line-backer buddies and you would not want their neck to get hurt) Still, a nice touch. The hatch/tailgate is easy to open via a latch handle hidden behind the trim panel above the license plate area. The hatch is very light and opens nice and high, so people of average to moderately tall heights will not hit there head when trying to load a large item. It even has a nice and easy to grip pull handle (note: a real handle, not a cut out in the trim panel for fingers only) for closing it once your finished (something many wagons, costing alot more money, do not have).
    The cargo area is nicely finished and has a light mounted to the left trim panel that comes on when the hatch is opened. Also, this one had the optional cargo net. There is a standard pull out cargo cover that easily latches on the edges of the door frame. Also, under the carpeted floor covering is a mini spare and some room to put additional tools and disc emergency items. Again, very nicely done. Now comes the best part, with all the features of the top sedan plus the additional items I have mentioned, (as well as the added versatility and really great styling) the MSRP for this car, as equipped, is $12,194. Wow. An incredible price for a car in this class. Go price a Suzuki Esteem wagon or the Ford Focus wagon and see what I mean.
    Wow, all that for an Msrp of $12,194...? Is that Canadian or Amercian dollars? Are you going to be purchasing one? If so, I'm looking forward to hearing more details... Thanks again! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• irishbobcatirishbobcat Member Posts: 6
    Saw the first Cinco wagon at a dealer here in Ohio... sticker was $12,699....in truth...it's looks more like a hatchback than wagon....
    Would like to test drive one soon....
    Live in Jax, Florida. Coggin Kia got one yesterday and I drove it today. It was a beautiful pewter green with a multi colored beige interior. Features included automatic, a/C, Cd player. All for about 12,600 msrp. Seats were very comfortable and firm. A much more expensive feel than the sticker would make you think, ( even lumbar on drivers side!) Stereo was very good also. The drive was impressive for under 100 hp ( 95 or 97 I think) A/C blew real cold! The one thing I did not like was that the rear split fold down seats did not only not fold down flat , but there was a very steep angle to them more so than other wagons or hatches. I am interested in the vehicle for hauling around my basset! He would have a hard time with balance in this one!( Yes he is spoiled!) The vehicle looks wise is gorgeous! Much nicer than even the pictures! Overall a great value for the money and I think Kia will have a winner with this one. Am I gonna get one? That remains to be seen! Happy wagon hunting!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Saw one yesterday (St. Louis).

Since this thing is essentially a hatchback, would it be possible to double list it on the hatchback forum like the Mazda?
    IMHO

Saw it yesterday (St. Louis).

Since this is a cross between a wagon and a hatch would it be possible to co-post on the hatchback forum, like the Mazda Pro-5?
    I saw the Rio Cinco at the NY auto show in April and I was fairly impressed. The little wagon looks cool and seems fairly practical. We couldn't get into the car at the show so I never got to snoop around in it.

When our injury-prone second car bites the dust I may investigate the purchase of a Rio Wagon (or Toyota Echo) as a cheap commuter/mountain biking car. I'd love to read the experiences of those who've tested or bought the Rio Cinco.

Happy Motoring!
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    mmmmm...tachometer...GOOD!
    As of today, I am the proud owner of a Polar White, w/Grey Interior, RIO Cinco Wagon. The car is a 5 spd (much better use of the available power)and has the following options: A/C, Am/FM/CD Stereo, Carpeted Floor Mats, Alloy wheels, Cargo net, and, most importantly, Power Door Locks. So far, I love it. Very good A/C (I live in California and as you know, it has been quite HOT lately, including today). I also have a couple of dealer add ons: Tinted Windows (Except the Driver & front passenger doors, CA Law prohibits)Paint and Fabric treatment (which I did not want, nor did I pay for it, even though they had already done it) and a Pass Key Theft deterrent system, (you have to pass a coded key fob past a point on the dash. When you here 2 beeps, you have 30 seconds to start the car). Again, it was on the car already, but I feel better having it and got it for cost. The car is very comfortable for me(5'8.5" and several pounds above my "ideal" weight). I had no problem finding an Ideal setting for the 8-way adjustable drivers seat and the adjustable steering wheel. The CD sounds quite good for this price of car(not as good as the Toyota Echo's, but close). I will keep you posted on how the car performs, the gas mileage and it's reliabililty. P.S.: I used to own a Toyota Echo. It was a fun car to drive, but had far less features (NO Tach, NO Adjustable Drivers Seat(or Armrest for the driver), NO Power Locks, NO Alloy Wheels, NO Anti-Theft system, NO Window Tint) and I paid $3000 more for it!. Why do I not have it now: One main reason: The Drivers seat. For Me, it was so uncomfortable due to way to lumbar support designed in and a bottom cushion angle that was to severe. I had to add 2 pieces of foam to top of the cushion just to get the seat somewhat comfortable!. My back hurt so bad after a few months in the car, I sold it. However, it was a good performer, got great mileage and the CD stereo was simply excellent.
    Congratulations! And thanks for sharing all the details. Btw, I believe you're the first actual owner that's posted in this discussion. I think we'll be seeing more owners here very soon. We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience, so please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host

...in Canada. Just got back from a seven day trip to Montreal and Quebec City where I saw several Kia Rio wagons. They looked cool but were smaller than I thought. They reminded me of Peanut M&Ms candies (I mean that in a good way). That wagon seems ideally suited to urban driving. I still haven't seen one stateside yet.

The Rio Wagon is near the top of my list as a second car (along with the Echo - which seems to be the official Car of Quebec Province).

autoknologist - if I may ask, what did you pay for yours? I'm very curious but I will certainly understand if you don't wish to share. Good luck with you new car!
    No I have no problem telling you what I paid.
    $13500 out the door. So far, So good. On my first 2 measured tanks of gas, I got 32.6 and 33.0 mpg. Not to bad for a car that is not really broken in yet. I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the car so far. I have to pull a long grade of about 6-8 miles where the elevation goes from goes from 1900 ft to 3250 ft. So it is a long, steady climb. The RIO pulls it with no problem and I do not have to down shift even with A/C on!. I have had many cars that could not do this. One small criticism I do have is the small and fairly useless slide out cup holders. At least useless in the manual model. When you shift through the gears, if you have a drink in the holder bigger than a soda can, you hit it with your hand and the shifter. Other than that, I haven't found anything else to really complain about. Again, I have had a Toyota Echo. It was a good car. However, it was more money (and there has been price increases since I bought mine!), did not have the same features as the Rio and was not nearly as comfortable to drive (at least for me). Particular annoying was the Echo's tendency to be easily blown around by the wind. Due to its tall, boxy design and light weight, if there is a small cross wind, you will feel it as the car has to be constantly corrected to keep it going in a straight line. (Hoever,I do live in a windy area). Surprisingly, the RIO is barely affected by cross winds. Why is this? Not sure, really. But I believe it is because of the shape of the wagon(which are inherently more aerodynamic) and its lower profile. Nice surprise for me though. Good luck on whatever car you choose. I look forward to hearing what you picked and how you like it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    takes the winds better than the Toyota Echo. It's a better-made car. Don't tell Clodsumer Retorts, they'll tell you it HAS TO BE A HONDA OR TOYOTA OR IT'S NO GOOD!!! I can't believe the nonsense sold for money we're dealt in this country. People buy it, too! I'm FIRMLY CONVINCED that Kia and Hyundai are our #1 choice for cars in America. Bar none.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• dreamwinddreamwind Member Posts: 44
    What you are saying are not facts. They are opinions. The fact is that Korean cars are still lagging a bit behind, but they have made such a fast improvement that I will not be surprised if Hyundai or Kia for that matter surpasses Honda and Toyota someday.
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I just test drove the Rio wagon this afternoon and here are a few observations. The seats are very comfortable,a little on the firm side, but not VW firm. The manual adjustments work very well to get the right settings. I didn't care for the material on the inside of the doors. It was much too coarse, one step above burlap,and seemed too thin, but probably durable.
    Inside the hatch there is just enough room for my 90lb dog. There is a nice pullover piece to hide your cargo.
    I was impressed with the ride. The suspension was just right for this car, on a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being very firm) it was about a 4.5. The steering was light and the car went where it was pointed. Brakes were ok, about average.
    The engine pulled pretty good until you got to 4k rpm, then it seemed to work a lot harder, it also got a lot noisier in the cabin. I had the a/c on the whole time with just myself and the salesman in the car.
    Now the bad part...the shifter(by the way I drove to 5-speed). During the whole test drive I had no clue if the car was in gear or not when I was changing gears. It has a very vague and rubbery feel to it and it wasn't that easy to get in gear. Also you cannot shift with the armrest down, unless you do it with your wrist at a 90 degree angle. There is a fixed pedal to rest your left foot when your not shifting. It was in the perfect spot.
    Overall the car seemed put together pretty well, No squeaks or rattles and nice paint. If it wasn't for the shifter I would seriously consider this car.
    Does anyone know if cruise control is available??
    this week. There's a polar white one that has my name on it at a dealership only a couple miles from my work. Gotta run it by my other half first! I'll keep you posted-you know me!

I decided to just run my '99 Sephia. We're at 72,500 miles and running strong. I like the Cinco enough, though to put it at the top of my "next new car" list along with Kia's new Spectra 4-door sedan, Kia Spectra hatchback and Kia Optima. The Rio Cinco would fit my 90-mile-a-day commute schedule very well so it's at the top of the list. Do post your thoughts on your Kia Rio Cinco's you've purchased! I'm very interested in this cool new offering from the greatest car maker in the world.

• fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    I walked over to the KIA lot.saw the new Cinco.It is really a neat little wagon.It looks even better the the pic at the beginning of this board.
    after the salespeople had all left at my Kia dealer. A red Cinco has every option I'm looking for and was selling for around $13,000 give or take a whisker. Looked really sharp. Yep-it remains on my short list!

That was one of the real drawbacks with the Rio sedan IMHO. Is this a model difference or do all '02's sedan and Cinco come that way?

Since the Cinco is listed as a hatch for the Canadian market, I still think it should be listed under both hatch and wagon topics.

My experience with driving a sedan last year was that the transmission feel (as in all Kias) was definitely sloppy/non-communicative. I don't remember this at all with my '88 Festiva. To me the platform really hasn't advanced that much in 13 years. Remember the Festiva as being more fun to drive.

The Cinco is getting into the same price range I paid for my Elantra GLS with 5 speed and group 2 (cruise and remote keying). I think I got a lot more car.

On the other hand the Cinco (especially in gold) looks a lot better to my eye than the Rio sedan.
    in my mind. It looked great with that wedge-shaped body the Cinco has. I'm back to wanting to test drive, probably will this Saturday afternoon. My dealership is waiting for me(I've e-mailed them ahead of time)and they have my current credit situation. If I want it I'll push for maximum trade-in for my '99 Sephia(!) It'll be interesting-I'll see how serious they are to move Kia's here in northern Washington state. I was concerned about my Boeing job but my manager seemed to think my job was secure. Trading in is back on, baby! I'll ask if the new 2002 Spectra's are in and test drive both of those as well. Yeah, the tachometer is an unexpected treat on the Cinco. Also, I think a person is getting a lot of car for $12-$13,000 in getting a Cinco. I'm curious how it powers up to freeway speeds. The Sephia does this fine and I want to see how Cinco's 1.5L 4-banger performs. I'll keep y'all posted!

We didn't even test drive the Cinco! I saw one on the lot. The only thing about it I didn't like just on first glance was that the feature list said it had an AM/FM/cassette player and a CD player. When I hopped in all I saw was a CD player. I wanted to test drive it but my wife didn't like it. She liked the Sportages. I did test drive a black Optima. What a nice car. This car was every bit the car that the Camry I rented about a year ago was. Just as smooth and quiet. This one had a power moonroof, leather seats and steering wheel, power everything, AM/FM cassette CD, etc. Loaded! Nice car but too much monthly payment. The new Spectra's weren't in yet but that didn't matter anyway. The wife didn't want another econobox. The finance guy asked if I minded driving a manual transmission in a Sportage. Of course I didn't mind. Over to the 4x4 Sportage's we trotted. We settled on a 2001 Sportage 4x4. Pepper red in color with power steering, locks, windows and 5-speed transmission. It has a theft-deterrent system and 4-wheel drive! This is perfect for us as we live close to Mt.Baker in northern Washington state and near all kinds of outdoor activities. The Sportage is fun to drive. It takes the bumps with authority. The ladder-frame gives the SUV a firm feel yet bumps are taken as little pitter-pats and barely move anything except the Hankook wilderness tires. Today we'll go get an AM/FM stereo CD/cassette player installed. Top priority for this afternoon! Now come the Sportage clubs and options galore! I can't wait! My wife and I feel like we've got the best vehicle we could have for our situation. Yahoo!!!

Happy to hear that you're enjoying the new Sportage. That four wheel drive may come in handy this winter, no? Now you'll have to change your userID to "iluvmysportage".

We're still considering the Cinco as a second car. Had a scare this week when I thought my old Mustang died. Turned out it just needed a starter. We're keeping the Stang for a while longer so it looks like the Rio goes back into a holding pattern. If anyone makes a Cinco test drive, please post your thoughts here.
    Yes. i remember my wife's Blaze Red sportage with fondness. After a couple of minor trim related issues in the first few months of ownership. it was a great vehicle. Wait until you get to take it off road. The sportage, with its short overhangs and all coil suspension does outstanding off road. Especially considering that it rides well on the road too.( in case you didn't know, alot of the suspension developement work for the sportage was done by Ford for KIA). Alas, my wife loved it. However, there was one area which I did not like about it and ultimately led us to trade it in. Lack of room! I am a large fellow and although our family is small, we were always taking a friend(s) of my daughters on outings and there just wasn't enough room for all of our stuff (although KIA makes an extended version that they sell outside north america). Also, with a full load of people and stuff, another 30 HP would have been nice. When climbing up our long grade to the high desert, the trans had to constantly downshift to keep up a good head of speed (we had the Auto Trans) For 2 people and with the manual trans, a great choice for fun times. Now as far as the tach issue goes. Unfortunately, as far as I know, only the Cinco comes with the it. Not yet available in the sedan. (the same goes for the cnetral power locking, Cinco only) Also, I have to say that I think that the Cinco name is a little lame. I think more sporting would have been to call it the Rio SportHatch, or the RIO WagonBack (though Saab might have been unhappy about this one). But Cinco. Iyah!, kind of a silly name. (Cinco, 5 doors.) Hmmm. Note; Even KIA of Canada does not the name, there version is called the RIO Rx-V, or Rx-V Sport. Also, in Canada, the sport version of the Rx-V's come with Power Locks, Power Mirrors, and Power Windows. A power sunroof is available as an option. Again, things that make you go Hmmmm. But overall, I really love my Rio Sporthatch. It gets great mileage (avg of 33 mpg @ fwy speeds that are, shall I say, a TAD above the posted 65 and while pulling a grade, with the air on!) Oh the A/C, gets VERY cold. Best Air I have had in a small car. Well, till another time. Thanks for reading my post.
    Although you like yours and Iluvmysephia likes his, there seems to be almost no posts on it (last time I looked). In fact, I think the entire thread disappeared.

I'm interested because a friend of my daughter is thinking about buying one. Frankly I was suprised when I drove one, cheap but appealing in a crude sort of way. Didn't like the shift linkage, however, just like all Kias I've tried (except for my Festiva).
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    My mother has been looking for a nice small and inexpensive car to replace her 91 Ford Explorer XLT which is essentially toast.

We have been looking at the small car category including the Civic, Sentra, Corolla, Focus, Impreza. Being a proud owner of a 00 Subaru Outback and a believer in AWD (very handy in our snowy winter climate), I am predisposed to the Impreza Wagon.

My mother is not picky. She wants a good car(reliable), with some basic power options (ie. locks, windows and AC), that gets good mileage and most importantly, is comfortable to sit in. My mom has bad hips and she has found that most cars seats are designed to fit you snug, which places pressure on her hips and can be very painful. So far, the Corolla wins in this category because it seats are rather flat.

To my questions:

1. Are Power windows available?
    2. The $13K you paid...is this Cdn or US? Do you have Cdn figures?
    3. The seats, are they relatively flat, or are the contoured support to fit snug?
    4. Maybe I missed it, but what does KIA offer in terms of warranty?

I must admit, I am a little hesitant to recommend a KIA. Perhaps its the stereotype of Korean cars having bad reliability....Can anyone share additional thoughts on the reliability of these cars?

Many thanks.
    Hello. Let me answer your questions in order. 1) Power windows are only available in Canada, not in the US (bummer for me). They are standard on the Sport version Rx-V. 2) The price I quoted is in US dollars, not Canadian. You will have to check your canadian buying guide sites for your price. 3) The seats are very comfortable, with only a little contouring. The problem that your mother will have is that the car is fairly low, making getting in and out it more difficult, especially if she is used to getting in and out of an Explorer. 4) As Far as the warranty goes; here it is in a nut shell; Again this is quoted in US measurements of miles, not kilometers. The basic factory warranty is: 5 yrs or 60,000 miles Bumper-to-Bumper, 10 yr, 100,000 mile Limited powertrain coverage, 5 yr unlimited mileage road side assistance. Now, what do they mean by limited? The 100,000 mile powertrain extension is for the original purchaser of the vehicle only. If the car is sold or traded, then the powertrain portion is limited to 60,000 miles. Also, other limitations include: the paint and audio systems are only covered for 36,000 miles and adjustments are covered for only 12,000 miles (IE: Door alignment, cable adjustments, idle speed: repairs not requiring replacement of parts). Also, as far as reliabililty goes, I must admit that on paper (and as seen in some consumer magazines) KIA does not have a good reputation. In fact, they have consistantly performed in the lower rankings. However, there quality is improving. I am sure that this is due to there new owners influence, Hyundai. So far, I have had NO problems (nock on wood) at all. NONE.( with my last car, the Toyota ECHO, I had problems early on. Hmmmm) Which is really good because the dealer I bought the car from closed their doors forever, seemingly days after I signed for mine. This has created other frustrations for me related to proper processing of the paperwork, but that is another story, to long to tell here. Anyway, let me get back on track. If I may suggest, have you and your mother looked at the new Ford Escape as a replacement for the Explorer? It is smaller than the Explorer, so it is much easier to handle and gets a little better mileage. Yet it still has that higher SUV profile, making it easier to get in and out of. It can be had with all the goodies you might want and comes with a 4 cyl standard. An optional 200hp V6 is available. It can be purchased in Front or All wheel drive versions. Another great new smaller SUV is the Hyundai Sante Fe. This is a really nice vehicle. It is based on the Sonata platform. This means you get a car like ride from four wheel independent suspension and V6 power. It can also be pruchased in Front or All wheel drive versions. In addtion, as in normal fashion for Hyundai, you get alot of bang for the buck and you get the same great warranty as KIA offers! I have mentioned just a couple of the small SUV's now available. I did this because your mom is use to the advantages of an SUV, but may not want to spend a fortune on a new Explorer (or there just to big) Now, if you are on a budget and this is why your considering a RIO Wagon, then by all means check one out. Another idea I want to mention is that, if you can wait just a few more months, there will be several new vehicles coming out in the, what I call, the Mini, minivan/all activity vehicle class that may be perfect for your needs. The one that will land first will be the new Toyota Matrix, followed by the Pontiac Vibe (basically ,there the same vehicle underneath). Then Daewoo will be introducing there vehicle for this class (as yet un-named). You can check these vehicles out at Canadian Driver.com. A great site for news and info on cars. I hope this helps you.
    for all the info. I guess I should have mentioned that price was primary factor, as is gas mileage and ride. Her requirement for auto tranny eliminates the cheaper 4 cyl making it at least Cdn$6 K more than Rio. I agree that in and out of most sedans in general could be a problem, but I think she wants out of the "truck" ride and feel due to her back problems (gee, I make it sound like my mom is falling apart, don't I?). I have not seen the Rio myself, but suggested she go a test drive one...I believe she is going today or tomorrow. I let you know what she has to say.

Again, thanks for taking the time.
    I look forward to hearing what she thought of the RIO.
    Well, my mom test drove the Rio Wagon on two separate occasions, once on her own and once with my sister. Her 2nd test drive confirmed her impressions from the first test drive.

Let me begin by identifying the cars she had on her short-list: the Subaru Impreza, Toyota Corolla, and Rio Wagon. With the economy the way it is, she just wants to get a good car and minimize costs. She plans to keep the car for 3 years then upgrade assuming they economy is better and they are more secure financially.

As much as she loved the new 2002 Impreza and the fact that it is AWD, demand is so high and supply so short that Subaru Canada is not offering any special financing, whereas both Toyota and Kia are offering good financing rates on 2002 models. Subaru can't keep them on the lot. Also, the Impreza is about C $3 K more than the Toyota and therefore about C $ 7 K more than the Kia. In terms of quality features etc. she loved the Impreza. Seat was a problem for her hips, but she was willing to overlook that (ie. use a cushion). But price was an overriding factor and therefore the Impreza is eliminated.

These are her impressions of the Rio:

Pros:
    1. Get many stnd features for the price.
    2. Car is decent looking and likes the wagon for space.

Cons:
    1. Extremely noisey engine compared to the Corolla.
    2. Seat is very uncomfortable for her.
    3. Ride is too rough.
    4. Found cabin smaller that the Corolla.
    5 Concerns/risk about quality / reliability (even with best warranty, no-one wants to make numerous trips to the dealer) We know that this may turn out to be a great car; however, Kia's reliability history increases the risk of poor reliability, even with Hyundai taking over.
    6. Related to 5 above, concerns about re-sale value ie. the risk that a good chunk of the $3K cost savings over the Corolla would be lost in re-sale value in three-years.

As a result, as good as the price is, she decided she simply would be unhappy with this vehicle due to noise, comfort and the risk (re: reliability and re-sale). Therefore, she eliminated the Rio from her short-list.

Down to the Corolla, I suggested she test-drive the new Elantra GT hatchback, which for the same price as the Corolla comes with more standard features.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and advice.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    This discussion is now linked to our Kia Owners Club, where you'll also find direct access to many other Kia discussions throughout Town Hall.

While you're there, please take a moment to say hello to other Kia Owners in our Kia Owners: Meet the Members discussion. Thanks for your participation. For future reference, look for a direct link to the Kia Owners Club in the Additional Resources on the left side of this page. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • pizzadriverpizzadriver Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new Rio Cinco last week. It has all the strenghts of the '89 Festiva that I drove for 7 years & 117,000 miles and then sent of to college with our youngest {in '97}. Again, it is an automatic w/air. It scoots through city traffic nicely, behaves well on the freeway.
    Still no power windows, but it has power locks, a standard rear washer and wiper, a much improved drivers seat {I'm 6'2}.
    If it's nearly as sturdy as that Festiva was, I'll understand the great warranty.
    The other pizza drivers I moonlight with are amazed at how much car I got for my money.

I'm happy.
    and congrats on your Kia Rio wagon! We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience. If you have a chance, please stop by our Kia Owner's Club and say hello.

Also, I'm sure the participants in our Ford Festiva/Aspire discussion would appreciate your Festiva notes. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    on a pizza delivry, tonight, a kid complimented me on my "BMW wagon". LOL

When I told him it was a KIA and cost 1/3 of the BMW price, his folks had lot's of questions.
    We took our new Cinco on the road over the St. Patricks Weekend. Omaha to Scottsbluff via I-80 {mostly}, 1100 ft elevation to 4100 ft. Played tourist, came home on side roads through to Sandhills.
    30.2 MPG out & 32.3 mpg back.

It was happy doing 75 on the Interstate, but wanted to do it on the side roads too. It handled passing on the side roads pretty well. I hit 90 passing 2 semi's on a down slope.

For 2 "empty nesters" and a 64 lb Boxer,this is all the car we need for trips.

Sue loved the way it handles curves in Nebraska's Sandhills.

Once we added pillows in the rear leg wells, our Pooch was Happy with the back seat.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    An article in the auto.com web page announced that Kia had taken off the wraps on the 2003 Rio Sedan and Cinco Wagon. It sure will be interesting to see what they've done with the car.
    Changes will include redesigned front grill, standard power windows, center console, 10 percent increase in horsepower, and optional spoiler. All good!
    Here's some information from Edmunds' coverage of the 2002 New York Auto Show: 2003 Kia Rio, by John DiPietro. Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    very cool looking car,better looking than the last model.i hope the prices stay the same.
  • warzonectx2warzonectx2 Member Posts: 7
    how fast can the Kia Rio go can it get up to 120.mh
    about various Kia models? Are you Mr. Nascar or do you just love to race on taxpayer-supported streets?!

• caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    why would you want to go that fast?
  • deluxekitty101deluxekitty101 Member Posts: 1
    How can I find out what company actually manufactures the engines and auto-transaxles in the 2002 Rio Cinco? Or to rephrase can anyone here tell me who manufatures the above, Sephias and others are not a Kia product is what many have told me .I came to ask that question but now I see the 03 will be a 1.6 litre engine? So the 2002 Cinco is a one year only engine? Who manufactures the newest 1.6 that will be in the 2003's?
  • atlankokeatlankoke Member Posts: 8
    The engines in th'02 are Mazda Based lic products.
    The engines in the '03 are the same that are used in Hyundai accents-Mists lic.
This discussion has been closed.