Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    drstandrstan Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    We just returned from 10 days in Austria and Germany after picking up our 2002 330I (Sapphire black, natural tan interior, prem and cold weather pkgs with a 5-speed). All I can say is that ED is the way to go if your able to do so. Don't be intimidated if you don't have experience in a foreign country or don't speak the language...it's not a problem. The BMR, well, it's the greatest car I've ever driven and can't wait for U.S. delivery. The Ed process was simple, error/hassle free. Anyone wanting further info on the process, hotels etc, y'all can contact me at drstan@swbell.net. Happy Holidays and happy, safe driving!
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    I've now had my 1998 BMW 540i 6-speed for exactly two weeks. Bought it Certified Pre-Owned from Enterprise Motorcars, Appleton, Wisconsin. A wonderful dealership. Their Internet Sales person, Jim Franzen, is great to deal with! We negotiated the deal and trade-in all over computer. It went like a charm. Found the specific car after searching BMW NA's great Certified Pre-Owned locator. Black on black. Loaded. Rear airbags. Split-fold rear seat. 16-way comfort seat. Heated seats and steering wheel. Premium sound. Trunk-mounted 6-disc CD. My only wish would be Xenon HID headlights.

She is an absolute joy to drive. Quiet and comfortable. Magnificent performance and handling. Outstanding ride. Roomy inside and in trunk (with the space-saving multi-link struts). She gets 24 mpg at 74 mph on interstate, turning over about 2,100 RPMs.

The only problem: she seems like she is standing still no matter what the speed. Driving 60 mph feels like 30 mph. 75 seems like 55 mph. Gotta use the cruise control and watch the speedometer or you'll find yourself loafing along at 100 mph!

I live in midwest. 590 miles from where I bought her. I'll have to garage her thru the winter. Can't wait for spring! But she looks great in the garage and doesn't take up too much space.

BMW Finance deal was great. 3.9 percent for 48 months and they make the first payment!

Now I'm dreaming of buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2003 M5 in about 2006/7!
  • Options
    drvn4fndrvn4fn Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a '99 540i certified pre-owned. This is my first BMW and I must say, I LOVE IT!!

I'm amazed at the sheer joy of driving this car. Outstanding performance, confident handling, smooth, quiet ride. My Bimmer came with premium sound, CD changer and sport package.

It has great lines and classic good looks. The interior is well thought out and luxuriously appointed. The seats are supportive and comfortable.

The cabin is incredibly quiet. Whether I'm cruising at 50 or 80, I can't feel any difference in noise level nor ride. It also looks great at a red light too.

I only wish I worked further away from home!!!
  • Options
    joseph830joseph830 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought the 525iA yesterday! I love it. One question, how many miles is the engine break-in period and what is the best way to handle it? I saw websites that tells you to change oil after 500 miles (first 500 miles) and tune something like valves on the engine, TRUE? or no?

I got P. Sound, P. Package, Xenon lights. Planning to install Dinan parts to this car to see what it can do. Thats, if they will come out with products for my car soon.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Read and follow your Owners Manual regarding break-in directions. I wouldn't touch the oil for at least 5000 miles. No modern BMW has mechanical lifters and hence there is no valve adjusment necessary.
  • Options
    hiddenvalleyhiddenvalley Member Posts: 2
    Good morning! I just took delivery of a 2002 Sapphire Black coupe on the 2nd of January. Made the mistake of using uit this past weekend when we had a surprise (at least to me) storm. The performance in the snow really impressed me. Much better than expected. Drove about 90 miles in slush, snow and ice with narry a problem (except for the dirt)

Really like the car - can't wait for dryer weather so I can get to see what it can do.

Am I the only new owner since last September??
  • Options
    g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Purchased 2001 525i off the dealer lot back in early June.

2001 525i
    Orient Blue w Gray Leather interior

Options
    Step
    Sport Premium
    Convenience
    Xenons
    CD Changer
    Cold Weather

Pictures from July 2001 linked below.

Happy Motoring

<http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/brownjj5/lst?.dir=/BMW525i&.view=t>
  • Options
    cramarcramar Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,
    It's finally here. 02 530 i jet black / black pp,sp,cwp,Xenons,comfort seats,steptronic sunshades.
    This is my 1st bmw,all I can say is WOW !! , so much fun to drive Thanxs
  • Options
    g_car & cramar... Just wondering how close to $50,000 your cars' stickers were.
  • Options
    g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    MSRP was $43,320 plus the Xenons were N/C, list for them is $600, dealer installed CD Changer $700 for a total of $44,620.00. We got $1800 off MSRP for walk out the door cost subtracting the Xenons which were no charge of $42,200. Very happy with the car also get tons of comments on the color you don't see many Orient Blues plus the Sports package adds a little edge to the car.
  • Options
    cramarcramar Member Posts: 7
    It was 49845.00
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    From the PR department:

"A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car." If you have a story to share, please send it to me at jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission to this one is March 6. Thanks as always for your input!"

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    sharkbaitsharkbait Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying the M5. I live in the
    North Atlanta Ga. area. I would like to know if
    there are any Non-Dealer affiliated BMW Owners
    groups in this area. I would like to talk to
    owners about their real world experiences with the
    after sale service on these cars. So far the
    experiences of the BMW owners I have talked to
    have been far from satisfactory on service schedule,fixing the car right the first time, and
    courtesy car availability.Naturally I do not want to spend $70000+ on a car and be stuck with bad
    service. Which is the best dealer in Atlanta & why?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    langenthallangenthal Member Posts: 6
    Hello Members, I have a 2002 330XI Steel Gray Metallic, Grey Leather on order, Preimium package, heated seats, Bi-xenon headlights, automatic. Should have car in about two weeks. First BMW and first AWD car. I got a 15k miles/year 36 month lease. I am replacing a leased 1999 Lexus ES-300. I opted to go for performance/handling over the Lexus more luxury. After one test drive in a 330i (no XI's in stock) after attacking an off ramp hard and having the skid control kick in "I was hooked." I just hope I don't increase my insurance with tickets and burn through tires too quickly.
  • Options
    noelcnoelc Member Posts: 2
    Are there any advantages to joining BMWCCA? I'm thinking of getting the new 5 series next year
    Anybody got info?
  • Options
    You should check out BMW CCA's web site and read some back issues of their magazine. Here are some reasons to join:

1. Great monthly magazine, Roundel.
    2. Parts discounts from a ton of dealers, service shops, other places, and parts suppliers/manufacturers.
    3. Affiliation with the various local chapters.
    4. Rebate program. Current one gives discounts on new (amount varies by model) or CPO BMWs ($500) for current BMW CCA members of more than 1 year.

If you are positive you'll be buying a BMW and you can meet the requirements of the rebate program, then you might want to join now.
  • Options
    jerry333jerry333 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready (next couple of months) to wax my 2001 525i for the first time. I have seen ads about Zymol cleaners and waxes and wonder if anyone has tried them. I note they are pricey, but if they do an above average job I would not mind paying the price.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    wishwewereinvtwishwewereinvt Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what the velcro strip is for on the upper side of the rear window? Also, other drivers have told me to purchase the covers for the fog lights because they are easily broken by road debris and expensive to replace.
  • Options
    mishmanmishman Member Posts: 5
    Looking for some advice about a decision I have been several used, low mile cars and buying a new one. It's not totally about the money for me but I don't mind buying a used BMW that has been well cared for. Here are my choices. Any thoughts you have would be great appreciated.
    Choice #1 99 323i very low miles (11k) (sport pack moon, H-K and extra set of wheels) coming off lease in two months. Owner would like $25k (basically his $1k deposit back and buy-out of lease). I don't know much about leases but the guy seems honest.
    Choice #2 00 330i, 5k miles, sunroof, htd seats, cd. asking $35k and very interested in selling.
    Choice # 01 330i, sport, 7k miles, m whls $30k
    And then there's new 325i w. premium and cold weather packages, leather and H-k for $33k (roughly $1k off sticker) Can I do better than that in New England?

I know this is not an apples to apples comparison but does anything stand out to you veterans? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
  • Options
    canadian_galcanadian_gal Member Posts: 7
    Well, I just bought my first BMW this morning and I am still in a trance! 330i steel blue metallic on black, power seats, and now I can't wait to take delivery - not until June. I tested the IS300, the Jag, the Volvo S60 (both 1.8T and the T5), and the Audi A4 1.8. When I sat in the 330i I was hooked even before I drove her off the lot. My husband drives a '99 Mustang Cobra SVT, and while he has more "muscle" than me, I think my new car will be a rocket out of the gate. I am not a decisive person, so picking a car, then picking the options, and finally the colour was a killer, but I am very happy with my choices. I have really enjoyed reading all the postings and am honoured to join the Bimmer family!
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The picture however, doesn't do it justice.

http://members.aol.com/elmerfrag/jpgdir/car.jpg

• Options
    jimm718jimm718 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, it will be a good friday! I pick up my CPO 1999 323i sedan. It's silver with black leather, moonroof, premium package, automatic, heated seats, and a CD changer in back.

I've wanted a Bimmer for years and was finally able to pull the trigger!
  • Options
    haiya650haiya650 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, guys, I am a newbie here.

I just got a brand new 330i, but i felt so sad that my car does not even have a security alarm.

Any after-market components I can use to install myself? Or I have to go to dealer, they charge me $695 for it!
  • Options
    Dealer option is $995.

Could anyone tell me if I can go to a retailer store, like *best buy*, buy one and install myself? Do I need to take off the BMW original
    radio control panel? Or there are some adaptors
    available?

Many thanks,
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If you go to http://www.pacificbmw.com/catalog/access/product.asp?model=E46 you will be taken to a page that has a &#147;Technology&#148; selection. If you position you mouse over the word &#147;Technology&#148; a &#147;Pop-Up&#148; menu will be displayed which will include &#147;Cell Phone & Security&#148; and &#147;Sound Accessories&#148;.

Under Cell Phone & Security, you will find an alarm package designed for your 330i for $232.05, and you will find various CD changers under the Sound Accessories ranging in price from $405.06 to $485.80 depending on the specific equipment you ordered you car with. Installation of both the alarm system and the CD changer are fairly easy, and can be accomplished in a few hours.

On the subject of the Alarm, why do you feel that you need it? All E46s come with many security features to prevent the car from being stolen, albeit short of having an actual alarm. In fact, the standard equipment is so good that most insurance companies lower premium on the E46 accordingly, so much so, that the Alarm does not provide a lot of additional insurance savings.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    shipo - here in NJ you should know a 15%+ discount applies for alarm systems. My dealer charge $400, so I'll break even in three years.
  • Options
    My insurance company offers us a 12% discount because of the "Built In" security system on the 328i. I asked how much more I would get if I added the actual alarm, and I was told "Just a couple of dollars a year", I never took it any further.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I got an additional 15%. When we got rid of the other car and got the Bimmer I was waiting for the shoe to drop on the insurance. It turned out to be a whopping $200/year. I couldn't believe it. Here in NJ where most peoples insurance is more than their mortagage. :)
  • Options
    I hear you my friend, when we lived in Jersey City, I was paying about $2,300 per year on my 1995 Passat GLX 5-Speed, then we moved to northern Bergen County, and my insurance dropped to almost exactly $1,000 per year. When I got the 328i, it went up to $1,150, and when I asked why so little, I was told that the Anti-Theft features and the Safety features were so good on the BMW that their theft rate was very low, and the injury rate for cars in accidents was very low as well, hence the relatively low rate. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    ajb723ajb723 Member Posts: 61
    Just picked up my 330i sedan- PP, HK audio, metallic gray. Replaced a MB 320E. I do not consider myselt a car maven, but the differences are incredible. MB was smoother, more luxurious and incredibly boring. BMW much more fun to drive. Tight. Equally comfortable
    . Dealer talked me out of a glove-box mounted CD changer, citing many problems in reliability. I felt that trunk mount took up too much space. Looking for a small unit I can install myself. Also looking for a radar detector to direct wire (don't like to have to think about turning it on and off each time I drive anywhere.- will probably go with the Valentine.
  • Options
    sriverosrivero Member Posts: 1
    I've got the Harmen Karden speakers in my '00 2.3, but experience incessant buzzing from tunes that have deep bass. I'm fairly certain the speaker's not blown. The problem seems to lie in the sealed compartment that houses the sub-woofer. Has anyone found a way to mitigate this problem (aside from putting the top down and cruising at 80 mph)?
  • Options
    I just installed the alarm system for my 330i. Thanks for my330i.com's directions.

Now I have one concern.
    After I took down the cowlings and
    the air filter, I found that I have to by
    a self-tapping screw, so I drove the car
    for 10 miles without replacing them.

Now I feel the car has louder sound under
    the hood. Could anyone tell me any possible
    reason? because I didn't reinstall them correctly, or because I drove it without those parts on?
    Someone said the filter is only for passenger cabin, not connected to engine?

Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    grivera1grivera1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Friends,

BMW is a legendary brand of cars. I am coming here to meet indirectly to you in order to know about your owner experience and I may to buy a 3 series, too.

BMW has upscale prices for its cars. I would appreciate to know how dependable, reliable and quality car is 3 series BMW. Is quality matching with the price? What is better in this kind of car: leasing or buying? Can I expect to get at least 100,000 miles with a 3 series BMW car with no major problems?

Thank you so much for your kind insights.

Guillermo Rivera
    Thornton, Colorado.
  • Options
    hobbybaashobbybaas Member Posts: 11
    I live in the country and even when I park my Z3 in the garage, mice like to make their home somewhere in my Z3. I can't see a nest anywhere, but the smell, and it is awful, seems to come from somewhere under the dash or hood. Has anyone out there had this problem and had any luck finding out just where, and there could be many places I assume, these critters like to call home. If they in fact can work their way from under the hood into an area behind the dashboard, is their a way to screen off this area? The smell is soooo bad. I've tried to seal off the garage, but somehow the critters make their way in. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • Options
    This discussion is somewhat related to your problem, but you can try posting this in CATS... any way to keep them off that warm hood? However, you may be inundated with members offering to send you a cat to solve your dilemma. :-)

As for the odor, there is a product called Nature's Miracle (look for it at your nearest pet store/center) that removes just about every organic odor there is.

Good luck!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    name-Larry, 52, lives in SF. Nice site here -Thanks! I had a '00 328Coupe stickshift and loved it. 15,000 miles of fun (and an edge-worn set of tires) and not one single problem. Great driving car! Needing a wagon, I sold the C and got a Saab 9-5 (my mistake). Now, 6 months later, the Saab is almost outtahere. A used 323iT stick wagon is on the way; can't wait to take it on an early morning Northern CA ride to the twisties. Yippeee!
    Larry
  • Options
    likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    I meant to say that the 328 Coupe (mine was loaded) was a bargain in my mind. Are there any cars at twice the price that drive half as good as that one? I had hoped to find that same engine (or a 330) in the wagon, but the 323iT with Sport pack came close to the feeling of the 328.(I bought used because of the recent "hits" I've taken in depreciation. Ouch! Around here, a used '01 325iT with Sport package sells for $33-35K. Wouldn't a new one make more sense? I'm happy with the '00 323iT I found for a great deal less). Again: Yippeee!
  • Options
    disaabpointeddisaabpointed Member Posts: 3
    Hello! I was the proud owner of a 1988 325 convertible for several years, sold it back to its orginial owner (my sister) in 1998. Have been a disappointed SAAB owner since.

Now planning to purchase a 325 through the Euro Delivery program. I'm planning at least... still working on the husband...

I'd love to hear anyone's advice on the Euro Del program. I'm done tons of internet research and I'm encouraged to find that there are ways to get an additional 3-5% off over the BMW quoted 7% savings. What I'm unsure of is how trustworthy those sources really are... I've spoken with 2 local dealers, one sounded willing to negotiate, the other was adamant that negotiation on Euro Del was not conceivable.

I'd love to hear your input!!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    You should check out the 3-Series board over in the Sedans topic. There are many folks who have just completed an ED vacation (me for instance), and many other folks who are about to fly over in the next few weeks. There are literally thousands of posts regarding the ED experience over the last 12 months.

FWIW, my dealer here in New Jersey (Park Avenue BMW, 201-843-7900, Salesman: Mike Weber) has a standing offer give anybody the same deal he gave me, which was $1,500 over ED invoice (plus $200 advertising fee), which worked out to just over 11% below MSRP. So far, I know of at least two other folks here at Edmunds who have taken him up on that offer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and the reference...I may take your dealer up on the standing offer!

I'll check out the sedans topic for more info.

Cheers.
    disaabointed
  • Options
    Shipo,
    Is this deal with your dealer inclusive of the destination fee? I've just run the numbers on the car I'm looking at and my savings would be 9% off MSRP.
    Thanks again!
    -disaabpointed
  • Options
    Basically, take the invoice price of all of the options, add to that the ED invoice of the basic car, plus the $645 for Destination, plus $200 for advertising and $1,500 for dealer profit. I just did a deal for a new 530i, which, given its higher price, can absorb the $1,500 with less effect on the discount.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    1johann1johann Member Posts: 32
    What is a reasonable length of life for the 3-series (e.g. 323, 328,325)? I have been looking at some used cars (1999-2000) and most have 30K+ miles on them. Without garaging it all of the time and assuming 12-15K of mileage/year in the future, what is a reasonable life for the 3 series? 100K? 100K+ ?

J

J
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    A properly maintained 3er should easily go 200,000 miles. My 1995 318ti sees regular track use and at 70,000 miles the only non-scheduled maintenance has been a set of front pads and engine drive belts.
  • Options
    mkharris01mkharris01 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Just purchased my Titanium Silver 528iA in December 2001. The car is fabulous. The features:

Standard Equipment
    Sport Package
    Aerodynamics by AC Schnitzer
    5-speed Auto/Steptronic
    Leather
    Sun/Moonroof
    Premium stereo w/cassette & 6-Disc CD Changer
    12 speaker system...
    and those darn cup holders.

I upgraded from a 1995 Nissan Maxima. Thought that BMW's were overrated. Now after six months, I realize why my friends are enthusiasts. So am I. I look forward to chatting with you all soon.

MKH
  • Options
    mkharris01... Did you go CPO thru BMW NA? Did you purchase it thru BMW FS?

I bought my '98 540i6 on 11/30/01. Love it. I went CPO. And got my loan thru BMW FS. Only 3.9% and they made first month's payment.

Know you'll enjoy the car (though I much prefer manuals)!
  • Options
    mkharris01mkharris01 Member Posts: 6
    riez,

You got a great rate. I purchased mine CPO via Beverly Hills BMW. I financed it myself @ 5.9%. The deal was too good to pass...they added the CD player, performed minor body work (dings) at my request and extended the warranties at no additional cost. Only 29,100, miles @ under $34K.
    I actually like the steptronic...but manual would have been sweeter. Take care.

MKH01
  • Options
    mmandelmmandel Member Posts: 1
    All,

Where can I read more on the steptronic gear system? Test driving a 2001 was interesting. Am I defeating the purpose of having a sports car without a "true" manual transmission? Any advice is appreciated.

Mark - wannabe Z3 owner
  • Options
    bmwfrevrbmwfrevr Member Posts: 27
    I am planning to purchase a new BMW my favorite one is the 5 series I think it is a perfect combination of luxury and driving joy.
    I am thinking to wait for the redesigned 5 series as I hear that it should be out probably next year my only fear is purchasing the first year product, I had read that even the E39 style had some problems or "bugs" with 97 and 98 models.
    Has anybody encountered such a discussion or information about how serious these "bugs" can be.
    and by the way what is that ED program or EURO.
    is it buying BMW directly from BMW and can you get different options.

Thaks for a great site.
This discussion has been closed.