Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pwh530ipwh530i Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 530i. Can you reset the service indicator yourself? It had the service inspection 2 before I bought it and I change the oil myself.

Thanks
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    So I call the dealer to get a price quote on an extended warranty for the 540...$3400 smackers! And it is "almost as comprehensive" as the original warranty - I've not seen the paper yet, soI don't know how "almost". It is extremely doubtful that I'll do this, however I'm curious - is that figure a bit much, or am I missing something?
  • ybtybt Member Posts: 5
    While visiting one of the BMW dealers in my area

I got across slightly used 2001 BMW 540 with auto transmission. The car looked great, the only thing that raised question transmission doesn't have steptronic feature. I was under ipmression that all non manual 5 series after 2000 year model got a steptronic. According to the dealer 540's w/o sport package only get automatic tranny w/o steptronic. Can anybody tell is it a lot of difference i.e. I mean driving experince? Or is there any possible way to upgrade the auto transmission with the steptronic feature?
  • jjohnjohnjjohnjohn Member Posts: 24
    Hello All, I recently had a front end wreck - everything above the bumper, fortunately, 'supposedly' no engine damage. I just got my car back and a couple of times the A/C fan turns on - middle of winter?! Never happend before. Any answers?comments? Also, I realized that when I turn on my high beams, there is a half second humming/buzzing noise from my engine as if my battery/engine is being drained. Common? Or am I being paranoid after the accident? Stress looms in the back of my head thinking something serious is going to happend down the line, granted the car will never be the same. I still enjoy driving my car, but problems might be coming. Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?...Thinking about trading-in for 2005 TL or drive the bimmer to the ground. -john
  • jjohnjohnjjohnjohn Member Posts: 24
    I drove my friends 528 with steptronic. It is fun but not that big of a deal. In fact, it is just like shifting with any automatic car by yourself -shifting from (1-2-3-4-D). I think the whole thing is kind of gimmicky UNLESS it was SMG! Besides, you may use the steptronic the first few weeks but after that I am sure you grow out of it. Moreover, I was so disappointed that the 5-series (just like the TL) automatically shifts out of first gear once the RPM goes to high. What gear shifting excitement is that?!?! If the car shifts by itself?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    If I recall, list price for the warranty extension on the 530i is $2749, so I'm not surprised that the V-8 is more... How much more, I'm not sure..

But, this is different from the maintenance extension... you knew that, right?

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No. I'm a lot fuzzy on the differences, since I have not seen the documentation, just had a phone call with a saleperson. I hope to get over to a dealer today, but any light you can shed would be appreciated.
    Extended Warranty.. Basically replicates the CPO warranty.. extending warranty out to 6yr/100K. There may be some differences between the extended warranty you buy, and the CPO warranty that comes with a used BMW, but I'm not sure exactly what they are..

Extended Maintenance plan... This extends the "free" maintenance that is included with your new car out to 6yr/100K..

The warranty, as you have seen, is fairly expensive... The maintenance plan on a V-8 is likely $1200-$1600..

I personally wouldn't get the extended warranty without the extended maintenance plan..... but, I might get the maintenance without the warranty..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks lots. I am probably looking more at the maintenance piece of things, since I am still trying to find a good independent.

I appreciate the clarification. Who knows, that price might include both! (And I am 6'2", good looking, and rich too, lol)
    Yeah.. anything is possible.... lol

Are you in New York? (or even if you aren't) Call Carbone BMW in Utica... they have a lot of experience selling those extensions over the phone.... and they discount from the MSRP..

Just ask for whoever handles bimmerfest members..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

OK, I'm still short, ugly, and poor... however I now have extended maintenance. Thanks kyfdx. Spoke to the folks at Carbone, and it was a painless transaction - $1195 sucked through the old Amex.

Thanks again.
  • davv62davv62 Member Posts: 76
    Sorry to hear about your problems, man, and they sound worse than mine, at least so far.

The guys at the dealer told me that these problems are very hard to diagnose because they are hit and miss, and you have to be looking for it when it happens.

In my case, with the security remote, they split one circuit into four circuits to isolate which one was causing the problem, but it took 3-4 trips to the dealer to get it done.

Now I have the brake light issue. For now I'm just ignoring it, because it is so frustrating, and the brake lights appear to be working.

I have no idea of the cost since I was covered under warranty. However, that won't be the case for much longer, since my extended warranty runs out in March.

Good luck.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/ucrewx5/pdf/B01+07+04+Extended- +Warranty+Plan.pdf

Take a look at the BMW Memo concerning the Extended Warranty Program
    seloo... great link.. thanks

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wow....scary..

Sometimes, I'm more comfortable when my advice is ignored.... lol

seriously, good deal..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the reply. I will be calling the dealership next week to see what they have to say. I'll post back if we manage to nail the problem down. That is the downside of these cars. Very expensive to fix once warranty is all done. Not only that, a local mechanic that I've used in the past says that he cannot get info on Bimmers because BMW will not sell the technical info, forcing owners to use the dealerships for more complicated fixes.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I can't say that I've found BMWs to be expensive to run; the repair and maintenance costs on my wife's 1997 528iA work sled have averaged about $84/month over the last two years/30K miles-and that number includes an Inspection II as well as changes of the AT, final drive, brake system, and cooling system fluids, a set of BMW OEM brake pads, and four V-rated summer tires. And by the way, the 5er just rolled over 112K last week. As for my 1995 Club Sport, it costs less than $30/month to run.

One final thing: your local "mechanic" needs to do his homework- his statements about obtaining BMW service information are dead wrong. The GT-1 diagnostic tool is readily available and BMW offers online access to their current service data for $2500/year. FWIW, BMW also offers a daily rate for the DIY contingent as well as shops that service BMWs infrequently. You need to check with some local CCA members; I'm certain that they can direct you to a good independent shop in your area that actually knows something about BMWs. The local indie shop that I use has worked on every BMW I've owned from my first E3 to my E39 and the techs have never had a problem obtaining BMW servicing information.
  • davv62davv62 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your problem.

My warranty is up in March, and if the repair costs become too expensive, I'll sell the car and get a different one.
  • sad owner 525isad owner 525i Member Posts: 2
    I am having electrical issues with my brand new 2005 525i. I have had the car now for almost two months and it is in the shop for the third time with same problem. On a cold start in the morning, I am receiving the error message "High Battery Drain". This happens every third or fourth day so there is really no rhyme or reason to it. BMW has been unable to diagnose the cause- has anyone else experienced this? It has now been at the shop for a week with BMW talking with the engineers and still no solution.
    So I take the machine in to the dealer this morning, since I noticed that my exhaust was hanging a bit low, and there was more movement on the tailpipe than historic. Out comes a service manager who walks to the back of the car. takes a look, and says "Whoa... you got problems. Where'd you get that big aftermarket pipe installed?" I look at him and laugh, since I'm thinking he must be kidding. One of the mechanics standing there tells him that the 540 with SP or the 6 speed comes with the big pipe. He looks at us both like we are nuts, makes a note on the Work Order, and walks away... can't wait until I go pick the car up.
  • jasjas Member Posts: 115
    Sorry to hear about the wreck - I hate when that happens. Although I love a factory pain job, it is better to replace metal than to have a frame or suspension problem.

I would take the car back and ask about the two things you noticed. Not sure about the high beam situation.

However, the A/C compressor can run in the winter to remove condensation from the windshield so it may be you are just more aware of the operation right now.
    Need new rear bracket for exhaust. Adjusted parking brake. Service advisor also had front brakes replaced as a "favor". Got rid of bum Oxygen sensor (no drivability issue, just service engine soon light). Bracket in on Friday, so I'll get that done then. Original SA from this morning came over and said something about never really taking a look at the back end of one of these before! All in all a good day.
  • childersbchildersb Member Posts: 2
    FWIW - I am on my second set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions. The first were SO2s and the 2nd SO3s. I got a clean 20K from the first set and expect to get at least that from the SO3s. They handle fantastically - particularly love the rain - seemingly better than the dry. They're very quiet and have never squealed and I take every turn above the posted limit - many wa-a-ay above. I drive about 17K/yr - a lot on I-85. I live in Atlanta and therefore don't have to contend with snow and I stay home when it ices.

I recommend the SO3s. Give 'em a try, I bet you'll like them, too.

Childersb
  • childersbchildersb Member Posts: 2
    I hate to sounds like an ad for Bridgestone Potenza SO3s - but they're great tires. I have a 2000 540i, 6-Speed. They are QUIET and hold the road great in rain or dry. Never had a spin out or slippage and I routinely (every day on the way into work) take a sharp turn (35 mph posted) at 60-65 mph, not a peep.

I read some reviews that helped me choose the first set I had (SO2s), but I can't find where they were. Sorry :-(

Good luck!

Childersb
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I also live in Atlanta and deal with Butler Tire... you? Just put on Pirelli P-Zero Nero summers on my 2003 530i SP and am impressed for the nearly 1000 miles so far. They gave me a great deal that included on-car high speed balance. Been dealing with Butler for years...
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I just had the dealer put in new wiper blades for the rainy season. During the first storm, the blade on the left side seemed to press rather firmly against the windshield creating a squeeky noise. Is there an easy way I can release some of the tension on the blade myself? This weekend is supposed to be very wet and I'd like to get rid of that noise. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • chazzychazzy Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard of an ashtray modification that can be purchased for the front ashtray of the 2001 525i ashtray? I just purchased a CPO '01 525i and I don't smoke. I'd like to make some other use of the front ashtray....anyone heard of anything? Thanks.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,387
    I use mine for a trash bin.:^) It's amazing how over-engineered the ash trays on German cars are, especially E39s.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about this problems with your 525i. If you and your BMW center need like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 and mention Reference # 200501400178 so that we can help you more efficiently.

BMW NA Customer Relations
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I think it's nice that BMWNA has presence here. But could you please explain how providing a reference number in a public forum aids in the process? To me this is personal information. I am inclined to think that there is more to this than customer service, more like a research project akin to attaching a radar tag on an animal in order to keep track of its habits in the wild. Thank you.
    conspiracy theorist, are we? lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well, now that you mention it, I DID see a black helicopter circling Town Hall yesterday...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Once you've talked with BMW, please come back and let us know what happened. It may be helpful for other owners with the same issue.
    I’ve read that Mitsubishi has voided warranties based on information owners have provided in web forums, specifically with the Evo. Now, I’m not sure of what the legal implications are, but if you provide that reference number, you’ve identified yourself to them and anything you say here can be linked to your situation IN WRITING. Therefore, what sense does it make to provide the number? You’ll be getting a reference number when you contact them directly anyway. Are forum posters getting any preferential treatment?
    In BMWNA's defense..

They do this on a lot of forums, and they are very open about it...

Many people don't know they have other options, if they are dissatisfied with their dealer... I think they are just being proactive.. Sure, if you know about contacting them directly, then, no problem.. At least this way, someone can look up what you are talking about, instead of starting from scratch.. But, like div2 says, black helicopters have been spotted..

You can't get your problem resolved without identifying yourself, I don't think... But, pull your blinds, just in case...lol

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The Mitsu EVO thing was true...

Someone blew up their new car while racing it, then proceeded to brag on-line about how they screwed Mitsubishi.... I guess the joke was on them... I have no problem with that..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I agree; if you are racing the car on a track you should lose your powetrain warranty. OTOH, I've heard of Mitsu(and BMW) dealers denying coverage on a car that was only used in an autocross. I think it's rather hypocritical of Mitsubishi to run ads which promote movies like 2Fast 2Furious and feature photos of EVOs running in Pro Rallies when they are yanking warranty coverage for running a Solo II event...
    In fairness to BMW I should mention that my service experiences with them have been impeccable. Best service I have ever experienced. That said, I question the purpose and propriety of posting information that should be private to both BMW and their customers.

“You can't get your problem resolved without identifying yourself…”

I think you are missing my point. Of course you have to identify yourself. What I am saying is that by giving BMWNA the reference number they provide here, you also provide them access to everything you write in this forum. Take it from there.

With regard to the black helicopters, that’s hilarious. However if none of us ever saw them I guess we wouldn’t need to use pseudonyms as screen names, scrutinize contracts, hire lawyers, lock our doors etc.

;-)
  • pranchpranch Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone else besides me had to have their bmw in the shop 4 or 5 times before they drove the car 100 miles? I bought the car 3 days before Christmas and had to take it back to the shop to re initialize the bmw roadside assist feature. Did not drive the car again until the Monday after Christmas. The Tuesday after Christmas the i-drive went out. Had to take it to the dealership so they could tell me to bring it back the next day, so they could re boot the computer. The next day that did not work so they told me they would order a part. Was gone on vacation until the 10th of Jan. Came back they told me they needed the car to try some other bmw suggested fixes. Left the car with dealer for 3 days. Went and picked up yesterday. Satellite radio won't work, phone won't work and a couple of other things. The dealer tells me he doesn't know how to fix it and says he can't get his service rep. to return his call to tell him how to. How in the world did this car rate a 9.2 on this web-sites rating scale. I thought BMW was suppose to be a quality automobile. Guess I was wrong.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    BMW is a quality automobile with questionable electronics suppliers. Unfortunately, they do have the final say in how all sub-assemblies and components are "screwed together".

That said, your dealer should be embarassed beyond words and should have the regional BMW reps on this in a big way. What the German engineers who design and build these fine cars need to understand is the manner in which consumers perceive quality.

In your case, it matters little that BMW may offer the best driving experience on the road... it doesn't function properly! Japan, Inc. has this figured out and applies lean production/testing methods that virtually eliminate these snafu's.

I must say that my 2003 e39 has been the best in my long automotive ownership experience. Also was the last in the platform lineage, so most every kink worked out. In today's era, you'd better launch a pretty-near defect free car if you want to achieve or even maintain hard earned brand status.
    As many of us are now well aware of, all cars with added electronics come with an added risk. All German cars, NONE excluded, are becoming notorious. Some of us take our chances and hope our number doesn't come up. If this happened to me I'd be right on a buyback course of action. A dealer attempting to fix is one thing, but his assertion that he doesn't know how to fix it is unacceptable especially with a car that is brand spanking new. Too bad a lot of red tape is involved but unfortunately that's the way it is.

I hope you keep us informed. An owner of a new Porsche 911 (among others) is going through the same thing and unfortunately it took him 7 visits to service and 3 months before Porsche offered to buy the car back. However they wanted to deduct for usage. He didn't accept this and told them he would be keeping the car and taking his story to the press and web forums. His thread in one of the forums has garnered 40K hits to highly-targeted Porsche owners, many of whom stated that they cancelled impending orders based on his story. Porsche finally agreed to buy it back at full price so, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets greased.

It has been said that BMW bought back a certain number of 7-series due to electronic failures. Seems to me your car qualifies. I hope BMWNA agrees and makes this as painless as possible for you, either that or fixes it pronto. In the meantime, I hope you have a comparable loaner.

By the way, it was reported that the problem with the 911 was a faulty central electronic control unit, similar to the motherboard on a computer and that Porsche was having a hard time supplying the parts bins. Amazing that this could not be anticipated and diagnosed quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same type of situation with your car. I guess they have to start staffing IT people if they want to pursue this kind of design. Seems the IT pros have no problem putting things in working order. The auto manufacturers seek them out in the design phase, now they have to follow up with them in the maintenance phase. One word to the car manufacturers… duh.

I'd like to know more about the details of the 7-series buybacks, especially the root of the problems but it has been reported that one of BMW's terms was that the owners sign a non-disclosure waiver. Hopefully these customers got a total refund, fees and taxes included, as opposed to the lemon-law provisions which allow a deduction for usage.

BMW is reaping the whirlwind for cramming their new models with flashy gadgetry aimed at attracting status seeking technogeeks who want to wear-not drive-their "Ultimate Posing Machine". I'd bet that a majority of new 5er owners-"drivers" is probably too generous a term-think "lateral Gs" and "weight transfer" are exercise routines. And they believe that "lift-throttle oversteer" is a band from Seattle.

That's OK; my next BMW is going to have a fiberglass body and an M88 engine...:)

Giugiaro was criticized for being "heavy-handed" with this mid-engine baby. Imagine that--Now "heavy-handed" is in style. Yep, buying an M1 is one rational solution to today's problems. I'll take this, an 89 M6 or E39 M5.
    I have a 2000 Corvette that I drive. I wanted something that would somewhat blend, sport and comfort. I always heard that Vette's where notorious for problems but so far I have had more problems from the BMW in 3 weeks than I have with the Vette in 4 years.
    I owned a 1988 M6 for three years. It was a fabulous car(especially after the catalyst accidentally fell off one day and the ECU got a new chip). The M6s have also held their value quite well. That said, if you want an equivalent driving experience for less money, you may want to consider an E28 M5. Granted, the angular and upright styling of the E28 can't hold a candle to the svelte curves of the M6, but the all-around performance is identical. I have a friend that has offered me his very clean Dinan-suspended 300 hp M5 for under $12K. Tempting.

As for my future M Eine, it HAS to be Henna Red-that's simply not negotiable.
    It sounds like a new Impala would be right up your alley. Perhaps it's trade in time?
    Perhaps your right Mr. Andretti
    The only problem I have with an M1 is that it is a collectible. Drive it and you'll pay. More than a new 911 which is what I think it's comparably priced with? I don't know. I guess you more than anyone around here would tend to know nearly every M1 and it's situation. In the end I guess passion and desire rules. I wound up turning my back on the Ms for deal on Boxster S. Full warranty was a big factor. I figured if the honeymoon didn't last I could get out as easy as possible. However I was very close to getting an 89 M6 and 01 M5. Boxsters have taken a hit so there was no advantage there. However it has turned out to be worth it for me. I never get sick of driving it. But no matter which cars I get I know I will always want others. What happened to your M6?
    As you know, the 6ers have heavily contoured rear seats that look as if they were lifted straight from a Gemini Command Module. Our first-and only-child came along and it was a royal hassle to try and fit a rear-facing child seat into the back seat. I decided to find an E28 M5 and put the M6 up for sale. It sold two days after the ad in the chapter newsletter came out. The buyer later sold it to an originality freak who reinstalled the horrible TRX tire/wheel package and(I think)reinstalled the cat and removed the Dinan chip, thereby losing almost 50 bhp. While all this was going on I was having a devil of a time finding a decent M5. I was still looking when a friend of mine at Fields BMW in Chicago told me that she had a production spot for a 318ti Club Sport. I was able to order one to my exact specifications(limited slip, Premium Sound, no sunroof), and the rest is history. Like your Boxster S, I never get tired of driving the Club Sport. It may not have retina-detaching acceleration but I find I can burn down a twisting two lane at a very brisk rate. It also doesn't hurt that service and repair costs have averaged less than $30/month for the nearly ten years I've owned the little bobtail. That said, I have always planned to get another M car- now I've about decided that that I'm going to assemble a collection of pre-1990 Motorsport cars- E12 M535i(Euro), M1, E28 M535i(Euro), E28 M5, M635i/M6, and an E30 M3. The reason I love the M1 is that it is a true exotic with a legitimate competition pedigree. And, after talking with other M1 owners, I've found that servicing and repair costs are not much more than those of a 930-and MUCH less than a Ferrari or Lambo(I almost bought an Espada once-luckily I dodged THAT bullet).
    The dealership still says they can't get their service rep. to return their call. I guess they must have taken off for the holiday. Tomorrow I go to the dealership and do not leave till I talk to the owner. Either I get my car fixed or my money back. This car parked in front of the dealership with a poster of a big lemon on it ought to be real cute.