Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    see post 1599.

Host
  • gazebrogazebro Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. However I've tried that. The back seat has no levers, handles, etc.. There is no way of lifting anywhere though I think I almost tore it up=).
    well maybe you need to pop it with a putty knife or flat bladed screwdriver then.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Has anyone put a bike rack on an 02 5 series? The one the reference guide says fits doesn't, and the guy at the bike store says the only thing to do is use a roof rack (impractical for me) or get one that fits onto a trailer hitch...which if course means I have to get one and have it installed (expensive).

Can't just toss it in the back seat or trunk; for one thing, it won't fit and for another, there are two and sometimes three of us.
  • quigs123quigs123 Member Posts: 1
    Radio sound not working. Replaced Amp but still no good. Display is working just no sound. Can anyone suggest what may be the problem and offer a solution? Please help. Thanks.
  • joyrider147joyrider147 Member Posts: 69
    I'm looking at buying a 1988 BMW 528e for $800.00.

It is dark gray with a tan leather interior. There is no rust or wear spots on the body and the paint and tires are in good condition. The car has 159,000 miles on it. The engine is really powerful and runs strong, with no ticking, tapping, vibrating, or shimmying. Under heavy acceleration, the engine continued to drive smooth with little to no unbalanced delivery of power, shaking, or rocking of the car.

As for the manual transmission, it shifts smoothly and the car goes extremely fast. The interior needs a proper cleaning as well as the trunk and a few BMW tools will need to be replaced along with the passenger side seat belt clasp. Also, the muffler is rotted and will need to be replaced since it is loud.

The brakes are powerful and stopped this speeding car very quickly without shuddering, vibrating, rattling, or any noise. The engine and engine bay appeared to be fairly clean with the exception with some weird looking scrambled egg and anti-freeze looking stuff at a few spots.

On the overhead diagnostic system, the indicators for brake lights, rear lights, license plate, brake linings are active.

Also, on the dashboard, the vehicle's efficiency system rates the vehicle low, indicating that the vehicle needs to be properly serviced. Also, the "Check" light was blinking. Also, the car's miles to the gallon gauge ran down to "0" during idle. I did not look at that gauge during driving.

Prior to starting the vehicle, it couldn't start with just a turn of the key and needed a tap of the gas pedal to start car. With engine running, smells of unburned gas fumes exited the exhaust.

This leaves me with reason to believe that the engine is running rich, which may be why the diagnostic computer rated the car's operation low and in need of service. I assume it might need a fuel pressure regulator since the car did not stall, buck, or shudder during use. That rules of the possibility of a defective fuel pump.

The car's inspection expires in the next few months and with it running rich, would not pass emissions and inspections, which is why I think the guy selling it is looking to dump his problems on the next owner. But then again, I also don't think he knows much about cars.

But on the same token, it appears that the car can be a real nice car if the proper parts were replaced.

Off the top of my head, this is what it'll need and maybe a little more:
    Muffler
    Fuses and Bulbs
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Clean vehicle and replace BMW tools and small parts
    Brake Lining Sensor
    Vehicle Emissions and Safety Inspections

Should I buy this car and would these problems be fixable? How would I be able to increase the efficiency of the engine to make it run clean again? Would a fuel pressure regulator fix this problem or would this problem occur again? How much would these repairs run me? I appreciate your response.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I just got an '04 CPO 545i with sat. prep, but no sat. yet. I listen to news/baseball on AM sometimes, and the reception is awful. I live 50 miles North of NYC and can't even get 880, which I can easily pick up 100 miles north in our Acura. (I have even picked it up north of Burlington VT in the evenings, which is 300+ miles north. Is this normal, or just mine?

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• eastoncarguyeastoncarguy Member Posts: 29
    I have an '05 530 with Sirius Satellite and my standard radio reception is terrible. The range is the worst I have ever had. On a related note, the fact that the radio does not have an actual "off" setting, but simply a mute that resets everytime you start the car is also a bit annoying.

Otherwise, fantastic machine.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Also, on the dashboard, the vehicle's efficiency system rates the vehicle low, indicating that the vehicle needs to be properly serviced.

That is what BMW calls the Service Interval Indicator; it has nothing to do with "efficiency". If the SI system is working properly-a big "if" on a BMW of that vintage-it just means the car needs a regular maintenance.

Also, the "Check" light was blinking.

Are any red lights showing in the overhaead console? That is what a yellow "Check" light indicates.

Also, the car's miles to the gallon gauge ran down to "0" during idle.

That is the way the mpg gauge works on older Bimmers. Think about it: You ARE getting 0 mpg when the engine is running and the car is stopped.

Should I buy this car and would these problems be fixable? How would I be able to increase the efficiency of the engine to make it run clean again? Would a fuel pressure regulator fix this problem or would this problem occur again?

There are a number of reasons the car might be running rich, so I can't estimate repair costs. That said, E28s of that vintage are pretty durable cars. If you are a decent home mechanic I'd say to join BMW CCA, buy the E28 Bentley manual and have at it. If it was me, I'd buy it- but then I'm a gearhead who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "There are a number of reasons the car might be running rich, so I can't estimate repair costs. That said, E28s of that vintage are pretty durable cars. If you are a decent home mechanic I'd say to join BMW CCA, buy the E28 Bentley manual and have at it. If it was me, I'd buy it- but then I'm a gearhead who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty."

I was thinking the exact same thing. For an 18 year old car with only 160K on the clock and in the good condition described, it sounds like a steal at $800. If joyrider147 doesn't buy it, and if you don't buy it div2, I want thrid dibs. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That is what BMW calls the Service Interval Indicator; it has nothing to do with "efficiency". If the SI system is working properly-a big "if" on a BMW of that vintage-it just means the car needs a regular maintenance.

* What would I do to get the Service Interval Computer gauge to go up? Give the regular service maintenance, meaning the coolant change, air filter, PCV Valve, Spark plugs, and oil change?*

Also, the "Check" light was blinking.
    Are any red lights showing in the overhaead console? That is what a yellow "Check" light indicates.

* Yes, the indicators I mentioned was on the overhead console and I saw a button marked "Check." Does that reset the diagnostic lights after they are fixed? Also, does this increase the level on the service interval indicator if it is properly repaired? Because these indicators are on, does it mean that the bulbs need replacing or the original BMW fuses need replacing since those fuses are easily suseptible to corrosion from the environment alot faster than normal ones?*

What does the mass air flow sensor do and where is it located? Does it tell the car's computer the amount of air flowing into the engine to ensure proper fuel/air mixture?
    What would I do to get the Service Interval Computer gauge to go up? Give the regular service maintenance, meaning the coolant change, air filter, PCV Valve, Spark plugs, and oil change?

You can reset the lights using an inexpensive reset tool. I would perform what BMW calls an Inspection II. It's been a while since I ran an E28, but if I recall correctly it includes changing the oil in the engine, transmission, and final drive, as well as the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter(there is no PCV valve). The valves also need to be checked and adjusted. Coolant should be changed every two years using only BMW coolant. The brake fluid should be changed every year using a DOT 4 fluid such as ATE Super Blue Racing or Castrol LMA.

Yes, the indicators I mentioned was on the overhead console and I saw a button marked "Check."

The check button only turns off the flashing "Check" light. The overhead panel shows burnt out bulbs as well as oil level and a few other systems. Sometimes the bulb works but corrosion in the socket causes the system to report a bad bulb-you should always use OEM style german bulbs from the dealer or the Sylvania/Osram bulbs available at Autozone.

What does the mass air flow sensor do and where is it located? Does it tell the car's computer the amount of air flowing into the engine to ensure proper fuel/air mixture?

The 528e uses a vane type airflow meter; it's part #1 on this diagram. It's not a true mass airflow meter, but it does measure the volume of air entering the engine. On any fuel injected car it is critical that all rubber hoses and boots are sound-no cracks or leakage. On your 5er the intake boot as well as all of the other vacumn hoses are probably long overdue for replacement.
  • n1danieln1daniel Member Posts: 27
    I just got my 530i with beige interior and as you can imagine the mats get a lot of footprints and looks very dirty. Any recomendations? I heard about clear mats? Any reasonable place to buy clear mats?

thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Clear mats remind me of the plastic covers on Grandma's living room furniture...

Stop by your dealer, and ask if you can try some black mats... They will look better than you think..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Clear mats remind me of the plastic covers on Grandma's living room furniture...

Maybe he could pull off the clear mats if he also fitted some neat-o J.C. Whitney seat covers. And maybe a set of curb feelers...
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I bought brown or dark brown mats from Griot's 4 years ago for a 2002 530i. They closely match the wood trim and have completely protected the sand interior. Our salesman kept the address panel from the box to tell other customers where to get contrasting mats.
  • jazzy100jazzy100 Member Posts: 2
    I have a trunk-mounted bike rack for my 02 5 series. The maker is SARIS, model Bones 3. It holds up to 3 bikes. Used it this past weekend with no problems. I had initially inquired about getting a trailer hitch and it is pretty expensive. And with the weight of the bike rack, you would only be able to carry one bike which is why I went with the trunk-mounted rack.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    I think you'd be better off with grey, black or almost any color rather than beige but if you insist on clear they have them @ www.bavauto.com.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

No don't buy it, it's a money pit.

You can buy a perfectly nice, clean ready to roll 528e for $3,500 and you'll easy have that in the tired old car you are considering (or more).

Run away as fast as you can and buy the cleanest most trouble-free BMW 528e you can afford. If you can't afford to buy a clean trouble free one for $3,500, don't buy a BMW, would be my advice.
    I found someone else submitted a message having the exact same problem with the fuel as mine; engine cranking but need slight help of the accelerator (but needs to additional gas after starting), mild odor of gas from exhaust pipe (but no black smoke), indicating the problem to be either a leaky injector, bad temperature sensor, or bad fuel pressure regulator.

My next question would be: If I fix the fuel pressure regulator and reset the system, would it stop it from running extra gas? Do I have to change the fuel pump as well, even though it doesn't seem to be malfunctioning? If so, can I access the fuel pressure regulator and pump from the trunk?

If I go the extra mile to change the mass air flow sensor, would it make the engine run cleaner?
    How would I be able to check the remaining sensors to make sure they are running properly?

Also, how do I go about burning off the excess gas in the exhaust? Just drive on the highway for a while?

Thank you all for your input.
    The first thing you need to do is accurately diagnose the problem. Buy a Bentley manual and follow the EFI troubleshooting procedure. If you aren't willing to do that then you need to find a good indie shop- or else walk away from the car.
    I went to the Saris site and looked up this bike rack. It looks like it hooks over the top of the trunk where the trunk meets the back windshield. But when the guy at the bike store tried to show me how to install a Thule rack we discovered that there's no room between the seal and the trunk for the hook to slide in. So how does the BONES 3 rack stay put on top?

Also, how long does it take you to install the rack and secure the bikes?
  • jazzy100jazzy100 Member Posts: 2
    In order to attached the top hooks, I opened the trunk and hooked them between the trunk top hinge line and the seal. The other hooks can be attached after the trunk is shut. This did not damage my trunk finish. The total installation time was about 30-45 minutes the first time because you have to assemble the arms and legs. Once that is done, subsequent times were less than ten minutes including securing the bikes. Just make sure the straps are tighten again after the bikes are secured.
  • rcs525ircs525i Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I am looking for some guidance on changing my fuel filter. Is this a hard job? What's involved? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    That sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Now for a stupid question: It's supposed to rain pretty much the entire day tomorrow, and I have a 6 1/2 hour trip. Is there any way to keep the bikes dry?
    bikes are designed to get wet, it doesn't hurt them...just wipe 'em down.
    I suppose they are. The lessons drummed into our little heads when we're kids (don't get your bike wet; it'll rust) die hard. ;)
    Those lessons drummed into our heads NEVER die--LOL!
  • n1danieln1daniel Member Posts: 27
    Thanks everybody for the reply regarding the floor mats. I decided to get darker mats or the berber type that does not show footprints. I have few more questions as I took possession of the 530i just a week ago and I would like to ask you before I ask my salesman.

1. I am missing the adapter for the spare key. I could not find it in the glove compartment as mentioned in the onwer's manual. Is it an option? There is a clear plastic bag with screws but it was ripped as if somebody took something. I am wondering if that is where the adpater was to be found, in the clear bag with the other screws.

2. There are hooks for a cargo net in the trunk but no net. Is the cargo net an option? It does not show as an option on Edmunds.

3. Trunk is very hard to close unless you push it down with your hand. The hand gets dirty and leaves somewhat of a mark on my white car. Other than closing it violently from the inside handle, is there any other way? It is hard on women specially if they are short.

Thanks
  • jabroltajabrolta Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 545i. I went to the dealer to have a software upgrade and my day time running lights are not working. Is there a option in the iDrive to turn it back on or do I have back to the dearlership? Thanks.
  • ndegroat1ndegroat1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello! We have a '99 528i in need of some air conditioning. When I bought the vehicle 3 years ago our mechanic said the belt needed replaced. Cheap as I am, I told him I would change it when it became a problem. Well, now I am married to an equally cheap man and the air is a problem. Hubby is skeptical that it is a belt but a sensor ( we replaced a bad sensor for absolutely no reason a few months back).
    My questions are:
    Where is this belt located?
    Will the air work if sensor is bad?
    Should this be handled by a professional or can we fix this ourselves?
    BTW we are getting about 25 MPG running 89 around town and some highway..good or can it be better?
    Thanks!
    Niki
    If the old belt is still on the car it is probably not the problem. I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you have to ask where the A/C belt is located you have no business working on ANY car-especially a BMW. I suggest that you find a good independent BMW shop and let them diagnose and rectify the problem.
  • ndegroat1ndegroat1 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you, you've been a great help. Good advice. I am sure that you know everything about your home and are willing to try and fix it. As a design professional, I see too many people trying to fix problems around the home that should be taken care of by someone who knows better.
    Isn't it amazing how much power we wield over our kids? If only we could convert it to horsepower... :P
  • rworrellrworrell Member Posts: 149
    We have a 2004 530 and only the dealer could program the DRLs. It required a software upgrade on our car--fortunately, the salesperson promised that it would be enabled for us (we bought CPO), so there was no charge, but it took them several days to figure out which version of the software would work. It got frustrating, but we really like DRLs, so it was worth it in the long run. I don't know if that changed for '05MY.
  • jabroltajabrolta Member Posts: 32
    I have the newest update "cip 21.2." My SA told me next month BMW is releasing "cip 22." I have a schedule maintenance service next month, so I will remind him to turn it back on. My only problem with my car is that my steering wheel is off center even after a wheel alignment (not covered under warranty) last week. :cry: He said he will check it again. He thinks it might be the tires or the active steering. Hopefully they can fix it, because it is very annoying, especially in car priced over 64k. :mad: I have read in other forums that 545i suffer from this problem, is this correct?
  • fischerrx9fischerrx9 Member Posts: 4
    What gives? My 06 550i gives no sound from any radio stations, but CD and sat work fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Greg :confuse:
    Works now. I lef the car off for 20 minutes. Hopefully just a computer reboot situation.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    A long trip through the driving rain can actually force some of the grease out of the hubs,headset,and bottom bracket...I'd take both wheels off and put everything in the trunk if possible.

It's a bicycle,not a watercraft...
    Does anybody have a Nokia 6682 that always works with the car bluetooth module?

Thanks, Greg
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Does anybody have a Nokia 6682 that always works with the car bluetooth module?

FYI: That phone is not on BMW's officially-approved Bluetooth phone list... FWIW :)
    I know. Just wondering if anybody knew of a hack.
    I wound up shipping them and I'm very glad I did. 6 1/2 hours in driving rain, an awful lot of which was the third worst rain I've ever had the misery to drive through.
  • jamiesjamies Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 528i with almost 78,000 miles on it. I just moved to a new area, found a nearby German auto repair place, and had an Inspection II done. The mechanic told me I need to have the water pump replaced, along with some belts that go with it, and that it will cost around $900 for this work. That cost sounded a bit shocking to me for a water pump replacement. Can anyone give me an idea of whether I'm being ripped off here or not?
    Does the $900 include the Inspection II as well as the waterpump and belts and hoses? If it does then it seems maybe a little high but not too bad, especially considering all of the items that get touched/worked on/replaced for that inspection.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No, I've already paid $500 for the inspection, so the replacement of water pump and belts are what would cost $900. Actually, I just called the nearest dealer a minute ago and they said they'd charge $825 for replacement of water pump and belts, so I guess $900 isn't out of the ballpark...definitely not the news I wanted to hear!
    Hmmm, I'm thinking that that is a bit steep, afterall, a new water pump with a lifetime warranty is only like $85, the belts are less than $50 and the hoses are probably around that as well. I'm thinking that you might either want to join the BMW-CCA and get a recommendation on a good local mechanic or buy a Bently manual and do the job yourself.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the feedback, Shipo. I will investigate other repair guys in the area. I do live in one of the most expensive places in the country, but still... $900!
    You are getting hosed- plain and simple. Want to know how bad? Read on...
    I had put off changing a noisy idler pulley on my wife's 128K 1997 528i, and late last fall my procrastination was rewarded by the pulley bearing disintegrating and taking out both belts and the fan shroud. I decided to let my independent BMW tech handle the repairs. While he had the car we decided to replace the radiator, the water pump, and the remaining idler pulley as a precaution. My tech also found and replaced a bad tie rod and had the car aligned. The total repair cost?
    $1161
    I'm not sure if I should feel outraged or sickened that I'll be charged so much more. Anyway, if the dealer charges $825, I can probably get a little lower than that with an independent mechanic, but still not dirt cheap. This is in Marin County, CA, by the way, just north of San Francisco. Anyone have a good cheap BMW mechanic here? Is there a free place I can ask such a question? (I'm new to this forum.)