Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Thanks again.

Glad to be able to help!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jimmyt4jimmyt4 Member Posts: 4
    Mr. Shiftright
    I've been keeping an eye on your fourms over the past few years and agreed with most of your opinions, and very impressed with you views and vast knowledge of automotive repair and your willingnes and determinatation to find the correct answers and offer your valuable assistanc at no charge. But I must call you on your cylinder leakdown test to diagnose bad valve guides and/or seals. When doing a leakdown test the piston should be fully up and both intake and exhaust valves should be closed to isolate the cylinder,so in no way should any pressure leak past the valve seats. and put any pressure on the valve guides/or seals. Sorry I was just going through old threads

jimmyzzz
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi Jimmy,

Point well taken and thanks for clarifying. I don't recall the post. Maybe I was suggesting a cylinder leakdown as a "catch-all" kind of diagnosis,which of course it isn't really.

Sometimes, and especially on complex modern engines, you have to use 2 or 3 different techniques to snuff out an engine problem.

For valve guides/stem seals specifically, I guess a good road test would help; also, if the cylinder leakdown shows a good result, you can eliminate piston rings as a source of the oil loss/burning.

So you get to valve guides by elimination rather than direct testing.
  • mike2008mike2008 Member Posts: 3
    did you receive an answer to your question. I also have a 1998 528i, I tried to unlock my doors this morning and nothing happened at either the driver's side door or the trunk. figure it is something with electrical/ battery - kind of odd that i can't even open up the doors??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Can you open them with the key?
    cannot open with keyfob or with key in either driver's side door or the trunk
    Took advice and held up the door handle, was able to open car successfully and start it up. Now I am wondering if I have a problem with the security system that is going to come back on some cold, dark night. Any thoughts?
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    I now have 66.5K miles on my 2002 530i. Over the last 10K miles or so, it's been going through about a quart of oil every 3K miles. I am using the dealer recommended oil, which is the BMW High Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30. Is this amount of oil consumption a concern? About half of the miles is at Southern California highway speeds and half is city or in heavy freeway traffic.

The BMW CPO warrantee is ending in 2 months. Is there anything I should be looking for before it expires?

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Nope, not a concern at all as many engines (from BMW and others) use that much or more even when new(ish). That said, if your oil consumption starts to accelerate (like a quart per 1,000 miles) it is time to be concerned.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Thanks for your comments about the oil consumption shipo. It brightened my Monday.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No worries. ;)
  • ferozferoz Member Posts: 14
    HI; I posted about a month bak about a problem with my 530- 2002. This car has a leveling reasr suspension that was acting up. As time went by the problem became worst and by now its clear that the rear shock abosrbers are responsible. This car dose not have a rear suspension with springs, instead the shocks have bags filled with air, these are leacking.

The thing now is to find the parts at the best price out there. US cars are not equipped with this system, that basicaly rules out US distributors, dose any one know about a european one?

Thanks
    The thing now is to find the parts at the best price out there.

US dealers can often get European parts. It all depends on the part in question as well as the competence of the individual parts department. If that fails, try Maximillian Importing. Maximillian primatily deals with Mobile Tradition parts, but he may be able to get you the shocks. And, as I suggested previously, you can always convert to conventional springs and shocks- something that many E28 M5 and E24 M6 owners have done.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I have a 2005 545i which has behaved flawlessly.... until now.

I was resetting the clock in iDrive when I got a warning that the battery was being drained and it will completely discharge. From that point on, whenever I started the car, it would turn over sluggishly and the battery would actually go off for a fraction of a second and I would lose data such as fuel consumption (mpg).

I brought the car to my dealer's service department. They kept it overnight and recharged the battery. They found nothing else wrong. I picked the car up yesterday afternoon and last night the battery went completely dead in a shopping center parking lot. The car had to be towed home.

Do I need a new battery and/or alternator? I am calling the BMW service department again this morning.

Thank you for any input.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Let's assume that the dealer tested the alternator, and found it good, then it seems like a bum battery...
    I called BMW Assist and am currently waiting for a tow to BMW.

It looks like with the included maintenance, to keep their costs down, BMW will try the cheapest "fix" first. Instead of putting in a new battery, they charged up the original one. So instead of fixing the problem, I got stuck! I will scream for a replacement battery!

Thanks!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Howard: Yes, insist on a new battery !
    Thanks, Carnaught!

The tow guy came by, juiced up the battery and the car started. He told me the alternator is fine but the battery has to go. I wasn't taking any chances, so the car was flat-bedded back 40 miles to the dealer. I told my service rep. not to re-charge the battery and that I expected a new one.

Last night, the battery was 90% dead several hours after getting it back from the dealer who charged the battery that afternoon.
  • xroxguyxroxguy Member Posts: 3
    I have an opportnity to but a 2003 530I in mint condition with about 93,000 miles..

This is a lot of miles and my first BMW - any advice? Should this still have lots of miles?

anything to look out for?

Thanks
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    If it really is in mint condition (have it checked out by an independent tech) and is well priced it may be worth your while. I have over 100K on my MY2000 528iA and it continues to give good performance and value.

E39 Fivers are prone to early radiator failures, see if you can find out if the radiator and
    expansion tank have been replaced, if not price these for your area and plan on doing prophylactic replacements soon. Ditto tie rod ends and sway bar bushings.

Perhaps Roadburner will come by and have some additional ideas but that's all I can think of.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

thanks andys
    Well, I'd need to see a full service history on the car. Was it maintained by the (new) book, with maintenance only when the car said so, or were oil changes etc a bit more frequent? Has the brake fluid been changed/flushed at least twice in that period? Is it still on the original radiator/expansion tank/water pump? Does it use a lot of oil, or drink coolant? Any gremlins in the dash/radio displays?

Just a few things to look at, however 93K is not huge for the I6 engine.
    Thanks what do u think it is worth?
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Howard, how it is your car battery? I hope your have solved the problem.

Regards,
    Jose
  • phampham Member Posts: 6
    My battery is dead and need to replace a new one. Where do I get a new battery? My car is not under warranty anymore. Is there any issue if I change the battery by myself? Please advise. Thanks.
    You can get a new battery from any competent garage or auto parts store. BMW recommends using only their proprietary OEM units but amperage is amperage, I replaced mine with a Delco unit that is a bit cheaper than the OEM. In any case IIRC the exact Varta unit the factory puts in is unavailable in the USA.

The primary concern if you change it yourself is to insure that it's vented properly. I'm not sure exactly how that's done but you won't incur a huge labor charge if you have a tech do it.

• phampham Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your reply. I just got one from BMW and replaced by myself. Everything seems ok.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Could anyone help ,My Bro Has just got a 1994 BMW 530 ,he can not find where to check the automatic transmission ,also can anyone tell me is there a site on the net where I can find this information ? cheers Jack :) :confuse:
    he can not find where to check the automatic transmission

The autobox fitted to the E34 530i is the ZF 5 HP 18, which doesn't have a dipstick. The correct fluid checking procedure can be found here. The correct fluid to use is any good Dexron III.
    If I were your brother, I'd be more concerned about the V8 engine. This is why.

• jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Thank's for that roadburner it's been a big help,
    Do not know if we have sulphur in our fuel over here ,but now I can have a look at model for him, The car looks and sound very good, It has 195,000k on the clock(Hate to say this, the motor is very quiet and idle is very smooth,better than my car which is only 4 years old ) For a car of 13 years its like new.

Cheers Jack :D
    The car looks and sound very good, It has 195,000k on the clock(Hate to say this, the motor is very quiet and idle is very smooth,better than my car which is only 4 years old ) For a car of 13 years its like new.

It's probably ok. Those E34 5 Series are great cars; they will usually run past 300K with a little careful maintenance.

Hello Jose!

Since the 545i has free 4 year maintenance, when I brought the car back to the dealer, they tried to make it like I was responsible for the faulty battery-my driving habits needed "improving." I would have been laughing on the floor if this comment wasn't so pathetic! BMW did not want to pay for that battery!

They kept the vehicle overnight and re-charged the battery. Nice!
    I promptly got stuck late that evening in a not too friendly parking lot. The battery was completely dead! This is just the situation I was attempting to avoid by bringing the car to them in the first place!

I had the vehicle towed back to my house late that night and then early the next morning towed 40 miles to the dealer both at BMW's expense.

I confronted the service rep. that it couldn't be my driving habits causing the battery leak, since I got stuck with a totally dead battery just hours after they fully charged it. The guy told me BMW would still not pay for a new battery, but he "would see what he could do." I was getting ready to consult with an attorney. He called me at home later that day informing me that he got the new battery approved, like he was some kind of hero! What shabby treatment! :sick:

As a final insult, the service rep. cornered me as I was about to drive away for the last time and practically begged me to give him a good rating when BMW calls me! :surprise:

Jose, you know I love BMW's. But this encounter has soured this relationship for the moment.

By the way, the car has been great with the new battery. They should never have given the vehicle back to me without a new battery the first time. I will never forget sitting in that parking lot waiting for the tow truck from BMW Assist (2 hours, 12 minutes!)

I can't wait for the rating person to call me! ;)
    Howard: Unbelievable story. So much for their warranty and service, huh? Hearing this sours my feeling towards them as well.

When the ratings person calls you, I'm sure you'll be candid with them. Be sure to mention that you share this information with multiple friends and fellow car enthusiasts.
    Tough story....

However, something that you might want to consider is whether or not you are interested in a long term relationship with this particular service department. When my 540 was under warranty andi used the dealer, I actually got more done when I gave them good ratings - I knew that the ratings were important to them, and they knew that I knew....

Just a thought
  • sdw53sdw53 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am currently looking a 2003 530i sedan with 74,000 miles. It has the sport, premium and cold weather package. It has the 5 speed manual. Is there anything that specifically I should be careful of that would set off any warnings? The current owner is the second owner has put most of the mileage on it.

Thanks for any replies.
    Unbelievable, but sadly true, Carnaught!

You have to beg these guys to get a new battery. Some free maintenance!

I am quite finished with their service department so I can rate them with a clear conscience.

I'm sure my next lease will still be BMW but not with these guys.

For anyone interested, the dealership is Southpointe BMW in Sarasota, Florida.
    I HAVE a supposedly long-term relationship with the service dept. going on 10 years now! THEY DON"T CARE!

For example, they put me in a dirty white Chevy Impala as a loaner. I complained that I am a loyal repeat customer and I should be given a BMW loaner but they couldn't care less. An Impala it was! This despite all "5's" in follow-up ratings for the last 10 years that I gave them!

Nope! The time has come. They are getting all "1's" from me this time. Somebody has to wake these guys up:

Sending me back out there knowing I would probably get stuck and blaming my driving habits on the faulty battery; having to have the vehicle towed there 40 miles after it got stuck on the same day they supposedly fixed it; being given a shabby-looking loaner; the service rep acting like some kind of hero after he finally installed a new battery and then attempting to influence my rating.

I would have to be totally nuts to rate them well!

I will be posting my story on Bimmerfest. I know BMW reps. read the posts there frequently.
    However, something that you might want to consider is whether or not you are interested in a long term relationship with this particular service department. When my 540 was under warranty and used the dealer, I actually got more done when I gave them good ratings - I knew that the ratings were important to them, and they knew that I knew....

To some extent I agree with you. But! When dealers are blatantly wrong as in Howard's case, I'd be truthful and blunt. The dealer feels the pain and only then will change their attitude. At least this is what I've observed with past issues.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    What a dealer: adding insult to misbehavior. Bad driving habits! They have a long-distance record of you, don't they?

Regards,
    Jose

PS: Bad driving habits are those of me. I've got a speed ticket again :blush:;) No points out, however.

Hi,
    I am currently looking a 2003 530i sedan with 74,000 miles. It has the sport, premium and cold weather package. It has the 5 speed manual. Is there anything that specifically I should be careful of that would set off any warnings? The current owner is the second owner has put most of the mileage on it.

These cars do not have a lot of known issues, they're considered very well made. See if you can figure out why the first owner didn't keep the car for very long. Two owners in 74K raises a little red flag so check service records and have a thorough
    inspection performed.

Known issues:
    -Radiator failures. If it is on the original radiator and expansion tank plan a prophylactic replacement around the 100K mark.

-Suspension bushings, particularly sway bar links and tie rod ends often require replacements.

-ABS Sensors fail periodiocaly, triggering ABS light and TC light.

-Airbag and VANOS Control modules can fail triggering the appropriate light. VCM replacement is around $1500-1700.

I have dealt with this service dept. for about 10 years and have leased my last 2 BMWs from them. No more.
    How's Reeves in Tampa? I bought a past Audi from them.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's pretty outrageous treatment. I hope you will consider submitting a Service review at our Dealer Ratings & Reviews page.
  • sdw53sdw53 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice!
    The current owner purchased the car with 15k from a used car dealer the specializes in cars of this type. Not sure if it was a lease or not. I suppose it is unusual for someone to trade a car after just 15k. You would think that person would trade up and a BMW dealer would have it. I have not seen the car as of yet, trying to set a time to view and drive. From what I understand the vehicle has been maintained to BMW standards. Once I see, drive and review the service records I will be able to make decision on which way I want to go.
    That's just where I was aiming my sights. However, at "Dealer Ratings & Reviews" Reeves recently received a dreadful service dept. write-up.

If it's not Reeves or Southpointe, chances are that I must move away from BMW vehicles. The next closest place is at least 60 miles away. :(
    Thank you, Pat.

Funny that you mentioned it, but I posted twice about my recent service experience over at "Dealer Ratings & Reviews."

The first one never posted from several days ago. I tried again yesterday and that one didn't get posted there either. :confuse:
    If it's not Reeves or Southpointe, chances are that I must move away from BMW vehicles. The next closest place is at least 60 miles away.

Bert Smith BMW in St. Pete?
    I would never deal with those guys. They tried to rip me off on a lease in 2002.

More like Clearwater.

Nice to see you know the area. :)
    I would never deal with those guys. They tried to rip me off on a lease in 2002.

I understand. But....I said the same thing about Crown Motors for a Mercedes, then dealt with them again with a very pleasant experience.
    True. I may be making too much out of this. These guys are the only game in town.
    My interaction with the service people is usually minimal-easy oil changes, etc;

I plan to lease for only 2 year stints from now on: too many great innovations coming down the pike: diesels, hydrogen-and who knows what else?
    I want to experience as many of these great new vehicles as I can.

I'm sure after the next lease ( 2008 335i sedan?), the following one will be one of those terrific new BMW diesels.