Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    One BIG advantage of the CTS is that Caddy dealers can usually install faux convertible tops, landau bars, and 22" wheels while you wait.
    Snazzy! :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hello Guys,
    Have a question for you.
    I'm looking at a beautiful 2007 530i, black/black, sports, premium, cold pkgs, premium sound, climate, and Nav. They're asking 34900 with 28K miles on it.

My question is: the vehicle had after -market tinting to the windows that makes the vehicle look like a pimpmobile, what with all the black. The dealer told me that the tinting could be removed no problem, and made it sound like they would do it no cost to me.

My question is does anyone know if the tinting process can be reversed with no noticeable effect on the windows? What is it that actually tints those windows? I wouldn't want to destroy the windows or the glass by removing the tinting.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Nah, it's easy. I mean, some BRUTE could ruin the windows by trying to take the tint off with a paint scraper, but a normal person would use hot water, soap and a rough sponge and be done in 15 minutes.
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    It may well be as simple and effective as the host suggests. However, if you're really set on that car, why not have dealer remove the tinting as a condition of sale, such that if the tinting can't be removed to your satisfaction, you don't complete the sale? Let the dealer wipe away the tinting if he says it's so simple.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    the vehicle had after -market tinting to the windows that makes the vehicle look like a pimpmobile, what with all the black

You say that like it's a bad thing. :P

At least it doesn't have the landau roof, faux spare and spinner dubs. :surprise:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Sure the dealer SHOULD do it as a matter of course, since this is a sales barrier.

But I've done it---it's easy. NONETHELESS, if the dealer won't do THAT simple thing for you, think of all the other things he won't do for you in the future.
  • vidyasagarvidyasagar Member Posts: 1
    Want to see if any one else had the same experience with the BMW 5 series. I had one leased in October 2008, fuel pump failed twice (first time they replaced with a ew fuel pump anf that too failed again all with in 10 days. Then had to replaced with a brand new car.

This one started giving problems too with in 2 weeks, , as the battery getting discharged to zero and does not start. the problem is under scrutiny and in garage.. For past three days the battery is charged during the day by service center and its gets discahrged by morning mechanics says. the computers in the car are waking up in the night and are drainging the battery. Its an inconience, had been in rental car for more than 10 days during the past 3 months. does lemon law applies here?

I leased Mercedes E 350 for 2 years and it never gave me a problem.

Want to hear from other if any had a same problems. I am trying to get out of the lease with BMW any suggestons from any one. Thanks.
    There is a Service Bulletin S1 B 61 13 05 dated May 2008 that addresses dead battery issues on the 5 series and that authorizes dealers to conduct a special "Energy Diagnosis" with their BMW test equipment, and further guides them on additional diagnostic techniques to isolate the problem, based on the data from the Energy Diagnosis.

It sounds like your dealer is not with the program here?
    It sounds like your dealer is not with the program here?

Sadly, that's all to often the case. I'm spoiled in that I have a proactive dealer. When new software became available for the slushbox in my X3, BMW NA was dragging their feet regarding putting on-line. My service advisor gave me a new X3 loaner and overnighted the ECU to Woodcliff Lake to get it re-flashed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• blhblh Member Posts: 18
    Hi All,

Has anyone used Schneller BMW service. I'm looking to buy a used 530xi or 525xi 2006 or 2007.

I would like to be able to use an independent BMW service thats' close to home in northern MA.

Thanks.

Brian
  • JP540IJP540I Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone make any suggestions if the Error Code83 is the camshaft sensor applies to this 98 model and can it also be causing the traction control and abs lights to come on. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • patellapatella Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 528xi and I also have a slight vibration on my continental run flat tires.
    I have not had them rebalanced yet.
    Where are you getting this code? I don't see an "83" anywhere on my charts. :confuse:

Do you have a P code of some sort?
  • corneacornea Member Posts: 1
    The extended warranty on my beloved 2003 530 is finally ending this month. It has 85k miles and I would appreciate any advice from the group as to anything I should ask the dealer to do before this expires.
    Thanks
    If you have any problems at this mileage they will probably come from the cooling system, have the dealer thoroughly check out the cooling system including the radiator, water pump and expansion tank. If it hasn't been done every two years have them drain and flush the system and put in fresh coolant.

You might want to consider a prophylactic replacement of the radiator and water pump at around 100K miles (they won't do this under warranty unless something fails during the warranty period.)..

• lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Like you, I went through this for my beautiful '03 530SP as it rolled off of CPO warranty in 1/09. I now have 66k miles and echo the cooling system comments (water pump, radiator). The '03 has an improved design for the hose fittings on the radiator and is not as susceptible to cracks as earlier e39's. Still, my top-drawer independent BMW Tech tells me that I need to prepare to replace cooling system components around 75-85k miles. No problems yet.

I am the sole owner, having leased it in 1/03, then purchasing it because it was simply too good a car to let go. I leased thinking the new e60 might be worth trading for in '06, but could not pull the trigger. My '03 has been a terrific ownership & driving experience, with the only warranty issue being the power steering hoses at around 62k miles - slight leak. Also had the belt tensioner (along with main drive belt) replaced as the original was getting noisy. You may want to have yours checked.

If you are like me, it a real pleasure everytime I drive this terrific car :D
    If you are like me, it a real pleasure everytime I drive this terrific car

Amen to that, E39s rock!

• dfrilotdfrilot Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 2005 530i with approx 58K miles. I was told by independent mechanic that I should switch over from BMW factory mineral-based motor oil to other high-quality synthetic oil. Has anyone emcountered any problems or warranty issues doing this?

I was also told I should have trans fluid flushed and replaced as car approaches 75K miles (as preventative maintenace), even though factory guidelines say not needed. Good idea or waste of money???

DF SoCal
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm not sure where that independent mechanic got his advice (unless he is an Amsoil [aka. snake oil] salesman). Why do I say that? Because BMW oil that meets the BMW LongLife-01 oil specification is in fact a synthetic oil.

The two most common oils sold here in the U.S.A. that meet the LL-01 oil spec (besides the BMW oil) are Mobil 1 0W-40 and German made (says "Made In Germany" right on the bottle) Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

I'm also thinking that were I in your shoes, I'd be looking for a new independent mechanic.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • arthurt5809arthurt5809 Member Posts: 1
    did you/they manage to get it off alright? i only ask as the same is happening with a car i'd like to buy but the sales guy wont do it as part of the sale - typical!
    I watched them take it off with hot water, and it seemed quite easy. I didn't watch CLOSELY to see if he used some kind of rough pad or scraper, but it was done in 15 minutes.
    Exactly. That poor guy is absolutely clueless. It's amazing how much ignorance is out there...

• milner007milner007 Member Posts: 20
    I have a few questions- I have a 2000 528 with about 79k miles- the windshield washer has quit working- I checked the fuse and I think it's ok- does that washer plug in somewhere? is it possible it got knocked loose? i had it in the shop and noticed shortly thereafter it was not working. Also, when are they redesigning the 5 series? I heard either 2010 or 2011 model yr. anyone know where any pix of the new 5 are? Finally, will a full-size tire fit in the place where the stupid donut tire is? My 5 has a full size spare but I dont think they do that anymore, right? Thanks for your help.
    Questions, questions, questions...

The washer fluid has to have a hose that plugs in at the base of the nozzle somewhere and, yes, it is possible that it got knocked loose (possibly while it was being serviced).

The new Five Series (F10) is due out in 2011.

The only actual photos/videos so are of the a new hatchback variant known as the 5 Series GT. The software for posting photos isn't working but you can follow
    this link for details.

Sketches of the sedan and wagon versions are all over the web, most resemble the E39 more than the current E60 Fiver series. link.

if the hose had been knocked loose would that mean the fluid would have drained out? My fluid resevoir is full.
    I have a few questions- I have a 2000 528 with about 79k miles- the windshield washer has quit working- I checked the fuse and I think it's ok- does that washer plug in somewhere? is it possible it got knocked loose? i had it in the shop and noticed shortly thereafter it was not working.

Can you hear the motor? If not, it's probably dead. It's a fairly simple-if a bit fiddly DIY fix. Here's my description of the procedure

First you have to take off the RF fender liner, about 15 bolts as well as several small black plastic rivets which are removed by driving the center pin out with a small nail. The rivets can be reused if you manage to find the pins... I took the liner out in @50F temps with the car on the ground. Yes, it is MUCH easier to jack the car up and pull the wheel first-but then I'm lazy AND stubborn.. The actual reservoir is connected to the underhood filler cap assembly by an @1" ID plastic hose. It's simply a press on fit. The hose has a thin rubber liner which can get wrinkled up when reinstalling the hose, the result being a leak. Ask me how I know... I'd check this hose first, as it may have slipped off the reservoir fitting. The washer motor is plugged into the reservoir using a rubber grommet. The grommet is cheap and should be replaced whenever you change out the motor or the reservoir. BTW, you
    pull the motor straight up to remove it-otherwise it will break. BTDT too. The reservoir is also fitted with a float/cable assembly which is connected to that odd little clear plastic box/red ball located near the RF strut tower. Be sure and leak test the reservoir and fittings BEFORE replacing the fender liner-unless you enjoy removing and reinstalling the bloody thing.

Thanks for that- I cannot hear the motor so it's probably dead like u said- I am not mechanically inclined do I'll get some shop to fix it- any idea about what that will cost? Or how much is that motor? Thanks.
    They won't fix the motor, they'll just replace it. I bet this is something you can do, if you can get the reservoir out.
    It really is an easy job, but regardless, the pump part # is : 67 12 8 377 612. Do not pay over $40.00 for it and do not let anyone charge you over an hour of labor to R&R it.

Thanks for your help! I'll have to get someone to do it- I am just a dumb girl and don't know anything about fixing cars (altho I did used to change the oil and filter on my 1978 Honda Accord but that's as far as I got)- good to know what to expect (or insist on) price wise. thanks again.
    Okay why not get someone to look over your shoulder while you do it.
    If someone is going to look over my shoulder why don't they just do it for me? That's the way I look at it at least!!!
    You're not a dumb girl after all are you? :P
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Folks, it could be something as simple as a disconnected hose. Best to take it to someone so they could look at it.
    Yeah but that would cause leaks every time she worked the washers, and she said no leaks, so......

This is a pretty easy diagnosis

1. Work the washer. Do you hear the motor running?

2. If yes, you have a loose hose or plugged line or nozzle. Check same

3. If no, you have a blown fuse, bad washer switch or (most likely) bad washer motor
    I dont hear the motor- and there are no leaks. The reservoir is full, so the dead motor makes sense. Idid check the fuse and it looked ok (i think that fuse also controls the glove compartment light or something else that was working when I checked it so it cant be the fuse). Thanks!
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    Hi, I've searched the forums but found little about this problem. Has anyone experienced this? The level light indicator came on yesterday and again today. After stopping and restarting the car it was gone. The car doesn't seem to be sitting fine. It seem to occur as I was driving down the highway, no bumps etc but it was raining. Tires are ok.

Should I bring it to the dealer? The light did not appear after a restart.

Thanks.
    It might just be a bad sensor. I'd let the dealer diagnose the problem if the warranty is in effect.

• nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    I think I clicked on what seems to have been the problem. On starting the car I waited a few seconds until I heard the pump stop. No problems after that. The system must not fully function if I take off right away.
  • bobmc4bobmc4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 525i with 156k miles and auto trans. Recently I toggled to the manual position on the console and the trans was "bucking" through the gears. When I returned to automatic mode I am still getting intermittent bucking through some gears and even on downshifts. Any idea as to what the problem might be? thanks
  • galamagalama Member Posts: 12
    I got 2002 bmw 530i was driving and horn went off few times on its own 30 sec. later again 20 sec. later went on and it stayed on. i took fuse out now my memory seats don't work normal my strering wheel does not move up when i turn my key off and when i tryed to put my fuse back in horn went off again and stays on.. can anyone help please. tx Joe
  • galamagalama Member Posts: 12
    I got 2002 bmw 530i was driving and horn went off few times on its own 30 sec. later again 20 sec. later went on and it stayed on. i took fuse out now my memory seats don't work normal my strering wheel does not move up when i turn my key off and when i tryed to put my fuse back in and horn went off again and stays on.. can anyone help please. tx Joe
    Probably a short to ground in the steering wheel or steering column, or a bad horn switch. Repairing this may require disarming the air bag so be careful.
  • csan1csan1 Member Posts: 3
    hey guys ,
    Looking for a little help trying to find the flexible clips that control the heater knob rods on my 81 528i. been to dealers and no luck.
    You need to find a dealer with a competent parts man. Are the "flexible clips" the items labeled as Part #7 in this diagram? If so, the actual part number is 64111361272, and any BMW dealer can order it.

There are BMW salesrooms and real BMW dealerships. No reason they can't order this part.
    Sorry I have been away from the computer for a bite., Yes exactly! the Dealer I went to said that they can`t get them.
    Hey Roadburner,
    Wanted to thank you for the help. Im new to the Bmw line and not yet hip to the car and all the parts suppliers. Thats the reason that I went to the dealers for help. But I added that site to my favorites, and will order it , thanks again.
    The Real OEM site can give you the part number(s) but you cannot order from them. Bavarian Autosport can special order them; their price is $2.95 each. Pelican Parts has them for $2.75. Maximillian Importing Company is an official BMW Classic(formerly "Mobile Tradition") Licensee, and he has them for $2.93. I KNOW Max can get them. That's one great thing about BMW. They don't forget about their cars once they are over 10 years old. I have a 1975 2002 and I can get parts for it just about as easily as I can for my wife's 2004 X3.

• x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    a couple of weeks ago I got some weird notification on the dash that the gas cap was loose. I got out and tightened it. notification went away. A day or so later, I got the notification again. I unscrew the cap and noticed that it wasn't that tight and i reinserted and made sure I heard the click. Then I noticed the check engine light was on.

I read the manual and it mentioned that the check engine light would come on if there was the gas cap situation. I know this from other cars I have owned. I know that the light should go out, but it hasn't.

Any thoughts beside taking it in to the dealer? I know in the end it is going to be the dumb gas cap after them keeping the car all day.

Thanks,
    Bronzini :confuse: