Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mhutchinsonmhutchinson Member Posts: 17
    Driver side fog light needs replacement. Found the bulb. Need help getting the casing free from the spoiler. This is the oval casing and round lens type. I don't see a pry slot or a screw. Do I have to go in from underneath and behind the casing?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think you need to pop the grille out first, then you'll see the bolts that hold the assembly. You have to take it out to replace the bulb.
    The "grill"? Do you mean the 6" flat round piece surrounding the lens?
    From the front or the back side?
    Thanks for responding so quickly!
    I'm only looking at a rather bad drawing of the area, and reading what it says to do. Looks like there are little pry-bolts that come out in front?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited May 2010
    The valley pan gasket may well be the problem. Here's a brief explanation of the repair procedure. It's a long but relatively simple DIY weekend project.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks. You gently tug/pull the flat plastic cover out towards the front of the car using the round frame around the lens for grip. There are three plastic tabs that will release from the bumper, two inbound from the light and one outbound (it releases last). There is one small bolt behind the cover. The bulb is a #9006 55w.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    My remote unlock/lock feature is inoperative. At first I thought the batteries embedded in the keys were discharged. They are supposed to recharge as you drive but even a 500 mile+ round trip didn't revive them. My indie techs have attempted a "recode" but that didn't work either. Anybody got any ideas other than spending $150 for a new key from BMW?

MY 2000 BMW 528iA (E39).

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    battery could be dead and not capable of holding a charge. The only way to know is to take the key apart and check the battery with a voltmeter.
    They claim that the key cannot be taken apart for battery replacement although some older keys can be.

In any case it seems unlikely that both batteries would fail simultaneously (I have two keys).

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Few rechargable batteries last forever, and those in the same batch might very well die at the same time, or nearly the same time. I didn't realize BMW used rechargable batteries in their keyfobs...
    It turned out to be a blown fuse in the unit that receives the signal from the keys.

• bmwnut2bmwnut2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 528i it has the tv ,phone ,I love it --- But My radio,cd and gps will not come on it dose not even show the gps-navigation in the menu anymore -- I checked in the back, gps cd unit has no lights and will not eject gps cd. allso checked cd unit ,that has power and will eject my cds and load them again but thats all. ---- please help me I am lost without my music and my gps vioce.
    A sizeable crack has appeared on my windshield just ahead of where the mirror is mounted. Has anyone ever replaced the windshield on an E39? Anything to watch out for?

MY 2000 528iA

Just make sure the glass shop has experience working with BMWs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2010
    I have been a loyal BMW customer for over 25 years. My 535i 2009 has had 2 dangerous "engine failures" while traveling at cruising speeds on major highways and bridges. The first repair was considered a" fuel pump defect." I was lucky not to be hurt in that first engine failure. However , the same thing happened again last week on the George Washington Bridge traveling in the left lane at 65 miles per hour. Luckily, I was able to move to the right lane and put my blinkers on barely going 15 miles an hour. Fortunately, there were no cars/ tracker trailers on my tail.
    The dealer has been very good with maintenance, however they suggested that I see if it happens again for the third time, and I said " not anymore". My safety and my familiy's safety is on the line here....I received my 328 loaner and called BMW of North America explaining the situation. They seem to know about this problem and I hope they will work this out with me to get me out of this dangerous car and re lease another one without these issues. Funny...I really liked my 2009 535i with a 6 speed etc....I hope to get another one. Maybe customer loyalty will really mean something here?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    What you've described is anything but an "Engine Failure" (which is where the engine itself develops a mechanical problem that prevents it from operating), that said, when the High Pressure Fuel Pump (a known fault area for the twin turbo motor) fails, the engine will become fuel starved and stop operating properly.
    Thanks for the clarification. However, this High Pressure Fuel Pump problem is extremely dangerous when the incident occurs. I still enjoy immensely the BMW car experience, ( having 12 BMW's previously) . However, this issue takes priority because of the safety considerations. I hope BMW will make good on this and move me into another vehicle so I can get back to my enjoyment without any worries....

Thanks for your input....
    The dealer might have suggested waiting for a 3rd failure so that you could implement your state's lemon law option. Some owners who are members of the Edmunds forums have bailed on their BMWs using the lemon law, for this very problem.
    I understand,,,however I have 4 kids and I won't take that chance. I was lucky the first 2 times, but I will not risk this dangerous situation again.

I am hoping BMW will do the right thing here. I prefer to avoid the legal route and re lease another BMW.

At least I am still a loyal customer...
    Well see how it goes and keep the lemon law as a option. Be sure to have all your records, repair orders, notes, etc. in good order.
    One of my friends is a service adviser at a BMW dealer and he's always been honest with me regarding BMW reliability issues. Just last week he told me that BMW's latest iteration of the HPFP may have well and truly fixed the problem.

This happened on Wednesday June 23rd for the 2nd time.

The one prior took place in late May 2010.

Would you be able to find out when this "latest iteration of the HPFP" took place?

I am still concerned.

thank you
    I should see him Thursday at a Ride & Drive. I'll ask him.

• bchaulkbchaulk Member Posts: 1
    Hi just trying to trouble shoot here and ordered the new Bentley manual dosnt come out until the 16th of July.
    P0302 is random misfire of number 2 cylinder. My question is the numbering or firing order on the 525 front to back

Thanks in advance
    Firing Order is standard 6 cylinder:

1-5-3-6-2-4

cylinders are numbered from FRONT to BACK

(back)
    (front)
    The new pump was part number 13-51-7-594-943. It superseded part number 13-51-7-592-881 in January of this year; dealers began receiving them in February. All of the 881 pumps in stock were supposed to have been returned to BMW. However, the 943 pump was superseded in June by part number 13-51-7-613-933 which is a re-manufactured 943 pump.
    More than a few techs now think that the HPFP failures are/were a symptom of other problems in the fuel delivery system and that the latest software updates are what actually fix the problem. Right now this is all conjecture, but it does appear that the 943/933 pumps are failing much less frequently than their predecessors.

• claytoncps1claytoncps1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a BMW that will not start. Key turns and all lights on, but then no clicks, nothing. No sound at all. trying to remove starter to get tested but how do you get to the top bolt? We have a haynes book but not very helpful on what if anything else to remove and directions on howto. Any ideas for some help?

Thank you
    Check the engine to chassis ground cables and load test the battery before you yank the starter.

I'd also check the neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral--if that works, the NS switch is bad or your shift linkage is way out of adjustment. the starter would be the last item in the diagnostic chain and the least likely (but possible).

So, simple things first---go from the simple to the complex, not the other way 'round.
  • pen101pen101 Member Posts: 238
    Look at my post at #2511. The aftermarket one is just as good as the BMW windshield, except does not have small BMW logo on it. I have not noticed any extra wind noise or problems since.
  • brettbulldogbrettbulldog Member Posts: 1
    I am driving a 2002 525I and everytime I press or release the gas pedal I can hear a squeeking noise. I first thought it was either the shocks and or brakes. But, I am 100% sure that it is coming from the accelerator pedal assembly. I only hear this when the window is down...has anybody else had this problem?
  • waid10waid10 Member Posts: 21
    The iDrive system in my 5-series recognizes my iPhone via bluetooth. However, when I pull up my phone book on the iDrive, it displays every entry twice. I checked my phone and the entries are fine there. For some reason, the entries are only duplicated on the car's nav screen. Any ideas?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Do you have home/office, etc. numbers for the entries in question? It might make an individual one for each?
  • loupaloupa Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2011 535i with 1100 miles on it. No sports package. The car pulls to the right all the time in all driving conditions.
    I took it to the BMW dealer, they checked out the car. It meets all BMW specs. Tires are OK along with TP.
    The BMW service manager stated they do not have a fix, and they have elevated the problem to BMW engineering. Also I have heard many new 2011 535i have similar problems?????
    I am waiting for an answer at this time.
    Does anyone out there have a new 2011 535i and has similar problmes?
    Could the problem be with the new electric steering?
    Beside this problem the car is great, gas mileage is super.

Loupa
    have a 2011 535i with 1100 miles on it. No sports package. The car pulls to the right all the time in all driving conditions.
    I took it to the BMW dealer, they checked out the car. It meets all BMW specs. Tires are OK along with TP.
    The BMW service manager stated they do not have a fix, and they have elevated the problem to BMW engineering. Also I have heard many new 2011 535i have similar problems?????
    I am waiting for an answer at this time.
    Does anyone out there have a new 2011 535i and has similar problmes?
    Could the problem be with the new electric steering?
    Beside this problem the car is great, gas mileage is super.
  • bmwgal3bmwgal3 Member Posts: 15
    My 2008 535i has 60K miles on it, I bought it new. At 50K, the water pump failed and within 30 seconds I was stranded on a busy road, just enough time to pull over into the right turn lane where it stopped. It took 90 minutes for a BMW roadside assist tow truck to come on a Sunday evening. 3 weeks later, the engine malfunction light came on and continues to come on intermittently. The car has been to BMW 3 times for this problem. I've had something adjusted, the software completely updated, and finally a new fuel pump...BMW refused to authorize a new fuel pump until the 3rd time in the shop. Thank goodness I have an extended warranty, or I'd have been paying for their guess work! Now the same light is back on...the fuel pump was replaced less than 3 weeks ago.....I definitely notice more delay in acceleration, and seems there is less power to the car now than before they replaced the fuel pump... Does anyone have any thoughts? I am thinking of dumping this car, it has outlived it's usefulness, I don't have time to spend at the BMW service center, begging for a BMW 135 loaner instead of the Toyota Matrix Enterprise gives out. I think the estimate of a 25% fuel pump failure rate with these cars is far underestimated, give them more time/miles, the rate will go up....
  • boxstuhboxstuh Member Posts: 2
    I know it is electrical, not mechanical. Pretty sure it's not fuse-related. Nor does it have anything to do with the keying or any of the settings. Seems just broke.

As such, the hatch window cannot be opened. Hatch works fine, as does everything else.

What could this be? How big a repair bill?
  • wengelwengel Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a 2011 528i (8/4) with the sport package and have the same problem as you describe. Took back to my dealer with 150 miles on it and they tested and indicated the car is not out of alignment, so they called BMW Corp and BMW Corp indicated that they have had multiple complaints regarding this problem and that it is a problem with the steering column. BMW Corp indicated that they are working on a software fix for this problem that should be available in a month plus!

I asked my BMW Service Center if this would cause undo wear on my tires (especially at $550 each..its a concern!)..they promised it wouldn’t. I plan to contact BMW Corp directly myself to inquire how they plan to acknowledge a customer sat problem for us customers who have spent $65K+ on a new car and after 50+ miles of driving your wrist hurts so bad you want to drive directly to the store to obtain a wrist brace!
    I just purchased a 2011 528i (8/4) with the sport package and have the same problem as you describe. Took back to my dealer with 150 miles on it and they tested and indicated the car is not out of alignment, so they ca called BMW Corp and BMW Corp indicated that they have had multiple complaints regarding this problem and that it is a problem with the steering column. BMW Corp indicated that they are working on a software fix for this problem that should be available in a month plus!

I asked my BMW Service Center if this would cause undo wear on my tires (especially at $550 each..its a concern!)..they promised it wouldn’t. I plan to contact BMW Corp directly myself to inquire how they plan to acknowledge a customer sat problem for us customers who have spent $65K+ on a new car and after 50+ miles of driving your wrist hurts so bad you want to drive directly to the store to obtain a wrist brace!
    The latest info I have from the dealer's Service Manager is that the car's electric power steering computer program needs an update and BMW is working on it. We should have something in about 30 days. I am keeping on top of this. Good luck.
    Anyone else has this problem please let me know.
    As of this date nothing has changed. The car still pulls to the right and no news from BMW or the dealer. Now they say, in another week we should hear something about the software upgrade.
    Has anyone outhere has this problem or have a fix?
    Please let me know.
    Shipo help!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited September 2010
    I wish I could; I'd love to dig into BMW's software, I'm quite sure I could clean it up more than just a little bit. That said, when I wrote for Mercedes-Benz, I was constantly colliding head-on into a wall of, ummm, German strong-mindedness, kinda like, "Zis istch zee vay en vitch tings esss done!" :sick:

Yeesh! The good news is that they always eventually came around to the right answer. :shades:
    See my response under 5 Series Alignment Forum
    edited September 2010
    That sucks, but it happens all the time. Not a big deal, though---as long as they fix it right, and then the owner could, if he wished, push for further compensation on a "diminished value" claim to their insurance company---if the $$$ at stake were high enough, he could even hire an attorney to pursue the DV claim.
    This incident was a little more severe than usual; a joy-riding employee left @100' of black marks before smacking the E60 M5 against a curb. The dealer initially claimed the damage amounted to @$2,500- which, by sheer coincidence, was also their liability deductible. Further inspection resulted in a repair estimate north of $35,000, and the car is a complete write-off...

Well then it's a matter of making sure that the write-off amount is fair. In a way, this is the best possible outcome of a bad situation, that the car is junked. Had it been fixed, all kinds of problems, both mechanical and legal, might have resulted. In a bizarre way, the owner is "lucky" to have it totaled. The insurance company has the option of not doing that, depending on state laws.

I trust the idiot was fired.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2010
    Each time we re set but couple days later it comes on again. Tires seem fine. Tire shops says nothing wrong with tires. Car is no longer under factory warranty. Very annoying when on freeway. Also annoying that it does not say which tire--is there a way to set it to indicate which tire?
    Car is no longer under factory warranty. Very annoying when on freeway

Time for a Black Tape Repair. ;)

• lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2010
    Well, my 82k miles 2003 530i appears to be ready for a cooling system overhaul. SES light on and diagnostics indicate issues with the thermostat and a host of other things that will require the pulling of the radiator, fan, etc. Want to get everyting replaced on this keeper of a car and would like to get a sanity check on the bottom line for a complete cooling system overhaul.

My indie is preparing me for about a $2300 job for everything if I intend to keep the car, which I do. Radiator, hoses, WP, fan, belts, pulleys/rollers, thermostat, etc would all be replaced with >= oem quality parts + labor.

Any experience out there for the expected cost for this job? Thx!