Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ibmb1ibmb1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm a first time BMW owner, 2001 530i, and notice whenever anyone touches the black surfaces (dashboard and door tops) white marks appear from finger prints. The marks wipe off with water and cloth. Anyone have any suggestions for preventing (other than not touching!!)?

Regards,
    Mark
  • joseph830joseph830 Member Posts: 9
    have you tried to use any leather protection on it yet? I noticed that problem too when i touch the dash. I used leather protector, which makes a layer of coating, prevented that from happening again. But then you will have to use some every wash.

joe
  • cmiletticmiletti Member Posts: 1
    I own a 530i. I ordered it with the Sport Premium package (17" wheels, etc.) I has about 13k miles. Right around 8k, I took it to the dealer to have it checked. They claimed that it is caused by the tires. I just took it to the dealer for the first service and asked for an inspection of
    rear axles and bearings. They told me again that the rumbling noise is caused by the " aggressive tire pattern" of the tires. I've replaced two tires with the original type (Continentals). It sounds horrible during low speeds (20-25 mph or so) and while I am slowing down. The noise forces me to raise the radio volume. I bought the premium audio system and feel that this takes away from it. Has anyone experience this problem? I am about to turn this over to BMW. If you have any suggestions, please advice.

Thanks
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    It ISN'T normal.Even though the Contis are far from great tires, they shouldn't get that noisy at 8000 miles. Assuming that the car has exhibited the problem since new, I would be looking at the driveshaft.
  • bmw530bmw530 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to buy a 2002 530i. Can anyone tell me if the sports package is worth it and if it is uncomfortable on long drives?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    I love my 540i manual. Comes standard with the Sport Pkg. An absolute joy to drive long distances on interstate and 2-lane highways. But I also love my wife's non-Sport 323iA. Not sure you can go wrong. Guessin' the M3 and M5 probably ride a lot harder.
    Thanks for the idea. Does the leather cleaner cause any glare on the treated dashboard?

Thanks, M
    I developed the same problem on my 2001 530i w/sport package at 7000 miles. Took it to the dealer I purchased the car from and they said it was the Continental tires causing the noise. ?So how do I fix this? They said call Continental. Called Continental, they looked at the tires and said it's the "alignment" causing the tires to wear unevenly (all four tires exhibiting this uneven wear"). So now I'm going back to the dealer to have the alignment checked. Continental required before they will take any further action!

BTW - the dealer said I'm to expect this from such a high performance car!!! While I loved driving this car prior to the noise---not the "Ultimate Driving Machine" dealer service!!
  • epicardialepicardial Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating a 525 or 530 - really comfortable ride! However, I have heard from many new body style 3er or 5er owners that they are experiencing lots of stone chips on the front hood, right above the grille.

Is this true? If yes, how could I (as future owner) mitigate this issue?

Thanks for all your help.
  • darkbluedarkblue Member Posts: 10
    Considering buying a dark blue 2000 540 with steptronik, sport package, nav system, premium sound and the rest. Making an offer tomorrow. Have test driven a 6-speed one recently. The ride was too stiff. It is worst (or better depending on your point of view) than my 635csi. Although this is how it should be for high-performance car, I don't think I can deal with it commuting some 60 miles a day. Does anybody know how the ride would differ if I change the tires to 16" after I buy it? It currently has the 17" rims.

Also, any other concerns about this particular model? I know the seats are not comfortable, but I have to get used to it.
    darkblue... Have you test driven back to back a 540iA w/Sport Pkg and a 540iA w/out Sport Pkg? Keep in mind that all 540i6's have Sport Pkg. If you think the Sport Pkg ride is too harsh, then one way is to get a 540i without Sport Pkg. But to do that you have to go automatic transmission.

Sport Pkg is more than just tires. But changing the tires to a less aggressive, more boulevard ride might help a bit. But not sure changing the size will do too much, though it might reduce some road noise due to the smaller contact patch.

I've put about 7,000 miles on my 540i6. Mostly interstate and 2-lane county roads. I absolutely love the ride! But I want control. It is firm and very communicative. I like that. I don't want something that is floaty or uncommunicative.
  • darkbluedarkblue Member Posts: 10
    Dear Riez,

Sorry for the late reply. Since I do most of my driving in rush-hour, I don't want to go with a 6-speed. The other day I test drove a '00 540 with Steptronic and Sport Package, really liked it.
    How do you like your sport seats. Do you take long trips. Do they become tiring after 45-minutes of driving, as my 635csi seats are? I also have a 525 with premium package which I'm going to trade with new 540. The seats on that one are much more comfortable.
  • theomdtheomd Member Posts: 11
    Just got 530 PP; CWP; auto. Awesome!! But I knew how bad the cupholder were, but even worse when you really try to use them. Anyone know of fixes or inserts to remedy this problem. Thank you in advance.
    darkblue... My '98 540i6 has the optional 16-way comfort seats. They are quite comfortable and if you can't get comfortable in them, then I'm not sure you could get comfortable in any seat.

But when I was looking at CPO 540i6's I did see some with the standard Sport Seats and took one for a long test drive. It was also quite comfortable. Wife and I both loved the fact the Sport Seat's front portion can be adjusted out, almost like a recliner, to extend the seat's depth. You can't do that in the Comfort Seat.

So I'm thinking both seats are nearly equally comfortable and you won't go wrong with either. If I was buying new, I'd likely save the money and stick with the standard Sport Seat. But take long test drives in both and you'll know which is best for you.
  • bobl6bobl6 Member Posts: 2
    While I haven't purchased them, there is an aftermarket set of BMW 5 Series cup holders at http://www.cup-holders.com/main.html

They are $64.95 (plus S&H, I assume). They look pretty nice, actually--and most anything would be better than the original equipment. I replaced my broken factory cup holders with factory replacements--the new ones function the same but are beefed up internally so they don't break as readily.

• spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I have purchased a cup holder from www.cup-holders.com for my '98 528ia and I am pleased with it. It works really well. The only thing is when I ordered it it was around the end of September of last year and It took over 2 months to actually get it (after the 9/11 thing). I had to call them several times before they had to put another one in the mail. I guess the first one got lost. Also, BMW has a cup holder that can be attached to the door pocket now. You can pick one up from any BMW dealer. If you want the part number I can try to get it.

Spyderred,
  • anar1anar1 Member Posts: 2
    Do a lot of people get problems with the sport package in the BMW 5 series because of the tires?I have been hearing there is a lot of noise from these tires plus other problems. My husband just wants to get the sport package because the wheels look good.I would appreciate any feedback. Plus has anyone seen a photo of the 2003 BMW 5 series and if so, where can I see it?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The general consensus, is that the 2003 BMW 5-Series will be exactly the same as the 2002 5er. The new E60 5-Series will most likely not be released until late 2003 or early 2004 as a 2004 model.

That said, I just leased a new 2002 530i with the Sport Package, and this car is so quiet that I have a hard time determining my speed by sound alone. When I say quiet, I mean QUIET, just two days ago, I merged onto a very empty portion of one of our local interstates, and was stunned to see that I was traveling in excess of 100 mph! Hmmm, time to set the cruise control. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    I too was waiting for the next generation e60 5 series but it is not making its debut until Sept 2003 in Geneva and will not be released until 2004.
    I too am just in the process of purchasing the current 530i w/ sport-premium.. The discounts that I've seen preliminary is about $1700. What do you think is a good and fair discount on this car? Secondly, they have taken away some of the nicer colors for 2002 such as Orient Blue. Has anyone seen Topaz Blue and can comment on how it looks? I hear it has a dull finish? Any other advice before a purchase is made?
  • bluewater5bluewater5 Member Posts: 55
    One suggestion, the "BMW 5-Series" Edmund's forum under Sedans is more closely followed than this one.

Depending on your location, $1000-$2000 over invoice is a good price. Getting under $1500 over invoice usually requires that you are in a competitive area and are willing to call/see a number of dealers for the best price within a few hours drive.

For my "minimal" 530 (PP, Xenon, rear air bags, rear sunshade), $1500 over European Delivery invoice meant $2040 under E.D. retail. I pick it up in Munich in 2.5 weeks.

My main advice before purchase is to know what you want. If you go into a dealer and be up-front on the options and desired price, you'll find out if the dealer will consider the deal. For me, the "local" dealer did not, but one a 1.5 hour drive away would take the above offer. If you do not already know what various dealers in your area will take, be prepared to just call/see a bunch.

On color, the 2002 colors are those given on the bmwusa.com and the brochure. Guess my color from my Edmund's name. Best of luck.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Check out the Xpel paint protection system. It's a "clear bra" material that's basically stuck on the headlights, fenders, bumper, and hood (you can order the pieces individually or a big set), and they do a great job of protecting the paint and headlights from rock chips. The parts are about $300 for the whole set, and you can apply it yourself, although it does take a lot of patience and some skill. I did it myself, but I'm sure I'd do a better job the next time. You can also have it installed by a pro for around $250-350. Good luck.
    I concur with Shipo about both the 2003 5-series and the happiness with having ordered the sport package. I think, perhaps, some people have extremely high expectations of performance tires, and perhaps some after-market alternatives are truly amazing, but I've honestly been rather pleased with the sport package's standard Continental tires. They're not the quietest tires, but they're by no means noisy (the car overall, as Shipo said, is very quiet). And they resist hydroplaning fairly well, and grip tenaciously on dry pavement. If the Bridgestone Potenzas everyone lauds are so much better, I'm looking forward to wearing out the Conti's.
  • ptrjgtptrjgt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 525I that was part of the recall for the Aux fan. The new fan produces a very high pitch humming noise that is annoying. After speaking with the dealer, I called BMW North America who informed me that the engineers are in the process of developing a solution to this problem and given the level of calls it has become a priority. All of you who are experiencing this problem take 5 minutes to call 1-800-831-1117 and tell them you are expecting some action soon or BMW will not be a choice for your next car purchase. Complain to the dealer as they do not want to loose customers.
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I was a pioneer when it came to complaining about the loud Aux. fans that were being installed due to the recall. I posted several messages on this board and the bimmer.org board. I also called and wrote BMWNA several times. The good news is that they finally installed a part that has eliminated the noise. Call BMWNA and ask them about the part. I don't have the part number but I think you can find it on an earlier post on this board or go to bimmer.org board and look in the archives for it. I know that others owners have posted the part number.
  • diesteldiestel Member Posts: 4
    Hello, everyone -- I've posted this message elsewhere -- I really enjoy these threads on Edmund's and hope to benefit from the experience you have.

I've wanted a BMW for more than 10 years now, but have consistently deferred the purchase. Until recently I lived in a metropolitan area with 2 BMW dealers, one about five minutes away. Now I'm ready to make the purchase, but recently relocated to a rural area, and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles away.

I'm concerned about access to warranty service, and the extent to which the 2002 or 2003 330Ci of 530i I'd buy will require it. Getting the car to the dealer with any kind of frequency, like a lot more than scheduled maintenance, would be very difficult due to time constraints. I'd love to know whether any of you have thoughts on this -- would you buy it, or would the possibility of needing regular dealer service, and the associated distance and time and inconvenience, make you hesitate? I'm maybe spoiled by the reliability of the 2 Accords I've driven over the past decade, but the snooze factor of those cars is taking its toll, and I can't seem to get excited about anything that doesn't have a blue and white propeller.

Any reactions greatly appreciated
    diestel... I live in a small town in a rural county. About 25 miles from downtown of big city. But the BMW dealer is about 10 miles further west. I'm east. 35 miles is barely OK but still a pain. I postpone things to save the hassle. Been driving around with a broken inside door handle for about 6 weeks now. I have to roll window down to get out. But I can't imagine blowing much of a day just for this one small item.

I couldn't imagine 100 miles ONE WAY. Let alone 200 miles round trip. Just plain too far. Even for routine service work. Let alone if you have to leave car overnight for warranty or repair. Then you are talking about 2 complete trips. BMWs are great cars but I couldn't imagine being that far away from a dealer. Stick with a marque that is a lot closer. Better to have a nice car from a close dealer who can provide good service than a great car from a dealer far, far away.

If you want a car that will be a lot like, though also completely different, a 5 Series, you might consider a Cadillac CTS or Lincoln LS. Both RWD. Similar in size and mission to 5 Series. (Guessin' an Infiniti or Lexus dealer are equally far away. If not, IS300 and G35 nice alternatives.)
  • ghickmanghickman Member Posts: 1
    While understanding the length of the trip and the potential for overstay, please consider you are driving a great (understatement) handling car in both directions. Frequently dealerships will arrange for a loaner. My personal experience is that this is true even if you did not buy the car from the dealer they will arrange the loaner (typically a 3 series for us). Just enjoy the ride both directions and don't worry about buying the car.
  • diesteldiestel Member Posts: 4
    Riez and GHickman -- Thanks for your thoughts. The problem for me is really time. Because of work I have next to no free time, and getting away on short notice is practically impossible. I'm worried that the car will need dealer service at a time when I just can't get it there.

I've spoken a bit with the dealership about whether it would pick up the car from me and return it -- not every time, not at the drop of a hat, but a reasonble number of times during the warranty period if I can't get away. They haven't dismissed the idea entirely, and even apparently do this for some of their customers, but are skittish about putting it in writing.

So I just looked at the Audi site for the third or fourth time -- there's a dealer within 40 miles or so. I could probably live with an S4, but hey -- it just ain't the same, and it's hard to drop that kind of coin for a compromise.
    It sounds like you need to do exactly that: compromise. You live in a remote location and want a car that--even if highly reliable--will still require occasional visits to the dealer, which you say you have virtually no time for. Whether you can afford the time to take care of those service visits is a question only you can answer.

As for the Audi, I doubt dealers still have new S4's lying around, since production on them ended last summer. But if you're talking about a slighly used one, it's a terrific car; I test drove one and loved it. The handling wasn't quite as sublime as the 330i's, but its power was intoxicating. I don't think living with the car would feel like a compromise, unless you'd be buying it just because it was more convenient. While the A4 has been generally reliable, the S4's turbo's have been a source of problems for some S4 owners (especially those who've modified them), but I suppose a dealer 40 miles away is much better than one 100 miles away.
    diestel... If you don't have the agreement in writing, then you don't have an agreement. It won't be worth the paper it isn't printed on. And if a new person comes in and replaces the person you made the "agreement" with, then once again likely all bets off.

ghickman... The two nearest BMW dealers to me have a very clear and restrictive policy on service loaners. If you don't buy from them, then they won't ever give you a loaner. Not for service. Nor for repairs. Not for warranty. These are big dealers covering large territories (the only dealers in Des Moines and Omaha). This is one area where BMW falls completely down compared to Infiniti or Lexus! Doesn't BMW understand people do move? Are we supposed to buy a new BMW just because we move?
  • lokeloke Member Posts: 2
    cmileti- i just got a 98 528i with the same road noise problem at 25-30MPH. BMW dealers said it's the tires. Would like to know for sure it's the tire before spending the money. Pls let me know if you find the solution to this problem.

Does any body have experience "crinkling" sound coming from underneath the car after a short drive. I know it's from the exhaust heat but I've never heard of it being so loud.

Also, got a creaking sound from the front brake when come to a full stop or going from a full stop. Any one experience this?
  • gillzgillz Member Posts: 15
    Loke...

The noise you hear at 25-30mph is caused by flat spots on the tires (typically low profiles). If you wait too long, i.e. past 6000miles before rotating the tires you stand a good chance that there are flat spots.

Only solution is new rubber all round.
  • kirkd1kirkd1 Member Posts: 24
    .......to BMW of North America via the Drivers Circle

The owners manual says that the xenon lamps are expected to live an extremely long life "provided that they are not switched on and off an excessive number of times".(pg 152) I have my lights set to automatic so they come on every time I drive into my garage regardless of the time of day. Does this mean that I shouldn't use the automatic feature of my new car? Is turning the lights on and off two or three extra times a day excessive?

Where are my bi-xenon lights? My high beams are yellow. Are HID lamps yellow?

I have an issue with the steering wheel's plastic horn button surround. Its fit is poor. The plastic has sharp edges where it doesn't match up to the leather. In fact, it feels as if the plastic is really too large for the wheel. I am really dissatisfied with this. I'd like a different three spoke "M" style steering wheel. In fact the buttons for the phone are annoying as well. I'd like a wheel that does not include the buttons for a phone.

Since I'm airing it out I might as well tell you that I am unhappy with the audio system too. I paid nearly $50k for this car and then had to pay an additional $1200 for a stereo system that is inferior to the one in my old '88 325is. That old system wasn't tiring like this one (and I didn't pay extra for it either).

Last but not least let me compliment you on a wonderful driver's car. I do love the way it handles. It's not properly broken in yet so I'm excited about the days and years and miles to come when it will feel even better. You've engineered a car that's wonderfully balanced between comfort and performance.

................there what do you think? ;0)
    Regarding your first couple of issues:

- Having the lights set on "automatic" is fine. The xenon bulbs last very, very long.

- You don't have bi-xenons (although Owner's Circle claims you do); it's an option available only in Europe.

As for the rest of your letter, good luck but I wouldn't expect much help from them aside from a form letter. I think it's fair to complain about the standard stereo, but didn't you have the opportunity to test out the premium stereo before selecting it?
  • kirkd1kirkd1 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your response Shahak.

What does "bi-xenons" mean then? And why not US?

You are absolutely correct about the form letter response I'm sure. But my whining will be heard.

"Premium" is a matter of opinion and also relative, isn't it? Yes, I did an A-B listen before I put my money down. And yes the so called premium is/was better than "not on your life" standard audio offering. But better is still not good.

Hear is the deal (pun intended); I tried to find out if I could spend my money on after market amps and loudspeakers. I used NG's and the telephone. I called Crutchfield and asked about it. They sort of nervously snickered and told me that they would like to get their hands on one (how about mine?) so they could tear it apart and design an installation guide. The rep told me that BMW installs the loudspeakers using a common ground. I understand then that adding speakers is not an option without re wiring the whole car. It sounds like a nasty and expensive job and definitely over the head of most installers.

I'm not anxious to have anyone cut my body panels. They talk about cutting the backs of the rear seats or modifying the package tray. I worry about body integrity and what it's gonna look like when they are finished. I saw picts of an installation into a 540i where they proudly show the entire package tray cut out! The body can't be as strong after major surgery like this. The front kick panels "have" to be replaced and the options that I've seen are flimsy or custom (read expensive).

There are serious award winning car audio guys out there but their emphasis is on sound not safety or body integrity.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    At the doctor's office back in September of 2001, there was a scene of a car spontaniously combusting in the parking garage. My curiosity got the best of me. It turns out the car was a new 2002 530i with the sports package. After talking with the dismayed owner, he made the statement that he would never buy a BMW again.

My question is, has anyone else seen or heard of this type of problem with the 530is? It might just be a fluke, and it might have been a mechanic being careless while giving the car an oil change (possibly severing the gas line?). To this day, this incident has bothered me with regards to BMWs. I suspect it is just a fluke, but wanted some consoling.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Kirkd1,

Cars equipped with "Bi-Xenons" (the 5-Series in Europe and the 3-Series here) still have four headlamps, and the inner pair is still responsible for "Flashing" (pulling the turn signal stalk toward you), however, cars so equipped simply re-aim the Xenon outer pair of lights when you turn the hibeams on (push the turn stalk away from you).

Kevin111,

Given that this incident happened back in September of 2001, I can tell you that there is no way it was a 2002 530i that flamed itself. That said, from what I remember ("cheeks" is more of an expert on this issue than I am), for a portion of the 2001 model year, BMW installed a bad batch of “Auxiliary Cooling Fans” from Siemens AG that had some sort of an electrical problem. Said problem manifested itself in two ways; 1) to fail to activate when needed, causing the car to overheat, or 2) to cause an electrical fire while the car was parked. Once the problem was identified, BMW replaced the bad batch with fans from Bosch, many of which turned out to be too noisy (at least they did not short out), which BMW then replaced again.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ardanielsardaniels Member Posts: 16
    I have a 97 528i and have had the consistent "crinkling" noise which I have noted to several ( and now non-dealer) mechanics. All have credited this to 'normal' heat expansion. I find it much more noticeable after just a short drive less so after a long one.

I have a question for other those who have had their cars for more than a few years. I have noticed that both the driver side and passenger side door seal gaskets are wearing terribly. Have others noticed this. Not the one on the door but the one around the opening. It could be from dragging my posterior across the gasket on entry or exit has caused it to fail, but I rarely haul passengers so what has caused that side to exhibit the same deteriorate?

Dealer fix is a couple of hundred bucks; more importantly it makes me wonder if owning a particular BMW longer term is begging for little fixes that pop up more frequently.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Buy the gaskets yourself; with a BMW CCA discount it's a cheap DIY project.
    I hope the guy was able to get the car replaced by BMW under factory defects or recalls.
  • kjr7kjr7 Member Posts: 2
    I leased a new 530i with the sport package, navigation and premium sound at the end of April from Long Beach BMW. The deal was made through a car broker, who does a lot of business with them. Less than a week after getting the car, I discovered that the stereo was defective -- the sound just cuts out sometimes. The display shows that the radio or cd is still on, but there is no sound. Turning the radio off and then on again restores the sound, but only for 20-30 seconds, then it cuts out again. The only (temporary) fix is to turn the car off and then on again. This problem happens once every few times I start the car.

I called the salesman who handled the deal, who agreed that, since I live about 40 minutes from Long Beach, I should just bring the car to the closest dealer -- which is still 20 minutes away.

Long story short: over four service visits, Beverly Hills BMW replaced an amp, then the entire radio...and I still have the problem. Since Beverly Hills doesn't supply loaner cars, the salesman at Long Beach offered to pay for the first two rentals from Beverly Hills...then decided he wasn't going to cover the second rental after all, because I hadn't managed to get the problem fixed. He also said I should just be grateful for the "sweet deal" he had given me on the car. Then he hung up on me. My car broker interceded and I got the second reimbursement, but a complaint letter to the owners of Long Beach BMW about the behavior of their salesman has gone unanswered for over two weeks.

So, of my first month of ownership, I was without the car for a week, and I spent hours of additional time running the car back and forth from Beverly Hills BMW every time the radio problem recurred. Over many phone calls in the last month, BMW of North America has yet to offer any reimbursement for the lease payments I am making on a car that, at this point, almost legally a lemon. All they are telling me is that my radio defect sounds very much like another technical problem that they have started to encounter, please be patient, etc.

Has anyone else heard of this defect? If so, I would appreciate any information you can give me, and in the meantime I would recommend that anyone shopping for BMWs should avoid Long Beach BMW -- and Mike Rhoades in particular.

The drag is, the 530i is a great car. I had the 528i before, and there is a clear performance difference between the two. But my 528i needed only routine service, and if BMW won't stand behind its product, I'll certainly look elsewhere for my next car.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    I have the same problem with the seal around the driver's side door opening in my '01 530i. The gasket is worn through in a couple of spots, right where my butt passes on its way to the seat. I have to believe that is the explanation. Since I noticed this recently, I've made a conscious effort to avoid scraping the seal when entering the car, but my seat is set far enough back that it's not easy. Maybe I'll start scootching the seat up before I get in, then hit the memory to move it back.

If this can happen to my year-old car with <12,000 miles of use, it could also happen on the passenger side of your 5-year old 528i.

The seal is made of very soft material, which is probably good from a performance standpoint but not so good for durability. Sounds like a familiar theme.

Next time I have the car in for service, I'll point this out and ask if they would consider it a warranty replacement. I don't like my chances, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • lokeloke Member Posts: 2
    Ardaniel, I'm seeing the exact same wear, as you described, on my 98 528i, both on driver and passenger side. Like you said, the wear only appears around the door latch.

Div2: I might be needing a new seal in a couple of years. Can you provide info on "BMW CCA discount"? I planned doing it myself when I need to.

Thanks
  • ardanielsardaniels Member Posts: 16
    Yes I have to believe that this is "normal" wear and tear. One great thing about this car is that I am able to move the driver seat waaaaay back. At 6'3" I was always frustrated by the lack of legroom until a salesman showed me how easily the retaining clip on the screw drive can be removed adding another 2" of travel. Obviously the seat back is well behind ( pun intended) the 'B' pillar.

I will look for the discount and give it a go on replacement.
  • royalredroyalred Member Posts: 16
    BWMs had a recall for cooling fans that caused the cars to catch fire. The recall was first for the X5 models, but later 5 series was included in the recall. You can query for details of this recall at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov Query for NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V206000
    This has been around for more than a year, and while some people still complain about the aux fan's noise, the fire threat has been removed as of the 2002 model year (and for all those who've gone through the recall).
    I had the same issue, where a person's new 530i caught on fire in a parking garage by my doctor's office on Sept. 10th.

Shipo was kind enough to answer the reasoning in post 88:

"Kevin111,
    Given that this incident happened back in September of 2001, I can tell you that there is no way it was a 2002 530i that flamed itself. That said, from what I remember ("cheeks" is more of an expert on this issue than I am), for a portion of the 2001 model year, BMW installed a bad batch of “Auxiliary Cooling Fans” from Siemens AG that had some sort of an electrical problem. Said problem manifested itself in two ways; 1) to fail to activate when needed, causing the car to overheat, or 2) to cause an electrical fire while the car was parked. Once the problem was identified, BMW replaced the bad batch with fans from Bosch, many of which turned out to be too noisy (at least they did not short out), which BMW then replaced again."
  • billwjrbillwjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 528IA just purchased from a BMW dealer (certified vehicle and all that).
    There is a slight odor, not pleasant, but not disgusting (yet)coming from the air ventillation system when the A/C is not on.

I experienced something similar only much worse in a 97 (same type). This is not the two charcoal filters you can replace under the hood.

It seems like a slight mold smell, and I suspect is in the ductwork rather than condenser as BMW seems to say. Has any had this experience? Is there any preventive /corrective measure that can be taken to kill bacteria or mold in the ventillation inlet ductwork? (Like an enzyme spray that can be shot down the ducts following removal of the charcoal filters? Your help is appreciated.

Cheers
  • patellipatelli Member Posts: 24
    Sounds like you have a lemon. I bought from LB BMW as well... I think they are arrogant as hell. Was the salesman Robert Bear?

You should call Lemon Law Attorney Martin W. Anderson in Orange County. He is the SoCal lemon law expert. 714-516-2700.

He handled a lemon for me in the past.
  • copyguycopyguy Member Posts: 4
    I think if you're going to have a luxury sedan such as a 5 series...(Had one and now have Volvo S80)...you need to be very near a dealer...these cars have so much on them that they just need much more attention than a car half their price like a Camry etc...I get very frustrated when I think of how much money I paid...but when I drive these types of vehicles...I smile and say "that's why I put up with it.." My BMW/Audi and Volvo/Cadillac and Mercedes dealers are all within 5 miles of my house...I live in Baton Rouge, LA...If I had to drive to New Orleans..I wouldn't have one, and N.O. is only 70 miles away.....Also the local dealers here all seem to work with you and provide loaners. They also usually return mine with a nice wash job.

I can't believe some of the horror stories I read in here about how dealers try to weasel out of getting the "real" problems solved.

I think I would put my vehicle through their service garage door if I were treated that way.