Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• eflandefland Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to buy a used CPO 530i 6spd with over 50k miles. I read about what service cost from the dealers and this don't bother me. My questions are what kind of problems have anyone had with this car, if any? Did it leave you stranded? Would a 540i 6spd be more reliable?
    I could care less about little issues like light bulbs/squeaks and such. Any input would but be helpful. Thanks in advance
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    efland... There are some big differences in service, maintenance, and reliability for 530i 5-speed manuals and 540i 6-speed manuals. Due mainly to the differences between the I6 and V8 engines. (The I6s are more bulletproof than the V8s.)

Two of your best sources of information are back issues of both Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines. Study the Technical Q&A section of both. Each is written by Mike Miller. Mike much prefers BMW's manual transmissions to their automatics. The 540i6 uses a very sturdy 6-speed. Take good care of the manuals (e.g., regular fluid/filter changes) and they'll last you nearly forever.

I had a CPO '98 540i6 which I bought at about 52,000 miles in 2001 and sold at about 79,000 miles in 2003. I had no major mechanical problems. Some issues with electronics (e.g., airbag sensor and the computer display) and the crummy rear cupholders seemed to stay perpetually broken.
  • bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read you are having a problem with the passenger airbag light in your 525i. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200433800114 so we can address your concerns.

BMW NA Customer Relations
  • dallas92dallas92 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 545i with the same problem and I shared the same concerns with my dealer on several occasions. Last week they told me that BMW is aware of it and currently they don't have a fix for it. My wife and kids are all in the range of 110-130 lbs and the passenger air bag light stays lit all the time (disarmed)
    It is a big concern to me because if any thing happens to my loved ones because of equipment failure, I promise every one reading this that BMW will suffer legal consequences.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Same problem with my '04 545i. I guess what bothers me is that I think this is something that BMW could have easily tested before releasing the E60. Also (and much less importantly) the seat/mirror/steering whell memory seems to have problems getting the steering wheel back to the position that it is was at when you got out.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Your concern for loved ones is understandable. In that case I would either demand a fix, loaner or trade-in IMMEDIATELY. Now that you know about the problem, if you CONTINUE to drive the car without functioning airbags, or have good reason to suspect that the airbag system will not function correctly, you may ultimately share the blame if God forbid anything should happen. I wouldn't want that on my conscience and would be on this like white on snow.
  • 525i04525i04 Member Posts: 12
    I have been talking to BMW and my dealer. The dealer says it is a BMW issue and they don't have a solution. BMW said the dealer should be able to fix the issue. I have been going back and forth between the dealer and BMW and they seem to be just blaming each other. I will be talking to the service manager again on Monday. I am going to demand a trade or a fix to the solution. I was going through some old problem messages and it seems like someone else had a similar problem back in April and their dealer said it was a BMW issue. So they haven't been able to come up with a solution for 8 months???? I bought my car in August and was not made aware of this problem. Let me know if you guys hear something new on this. I will keep everyone posted on my meeting with the service manager.
    Is the dealer obligated to buy the car back or will they only do a trade in or can they refuse both?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Realistically... they won't do either.. I believe their obligation ended when they sold you the car..

I'd try another dealer's service department..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So even though it is a reliability/safety issue that they have no solution for and even though they knew about this issue prior to me buying it, they can refuse to do both?
  • dinangerdinanger Member Posts: 8
    Hello. I have a dealer printout of the repair history up to 66,543 miles for a 1999 528i Sports Package. I'm wondering whether the car had its Inspection II service. The challenge is that the repair history shows only "repair order" numbers, claim numbers and defect codes. Would someone here be able to tell me if one of them is for Inspection II? Thank you.
    Your car has a warranty.. from BMW..

Your dealer probably has certain things they are required to do by BMW.. I'm sure they have a franchise agreement that covers it..

But, if your car has a reliability issue, unless it comes under the lemon law statutes, you just have to let them try and fix it.. But, if it can't be fixed, your beef will be with BMW, not the dealer..

If it has a safety problem that can't be fixed, then your problem will still be with the manufacturer..

All the dealer does is sell you the car, and provide a service department.. They have nothing to do with buybacks, warranties, etc... that call comes from the manufacturer..

If you are unhappy with your dealer's service department, I'd be sure and try another.. You can't believe the difference a good service department can make... That might be an easier solution than going down the road of pursuing buybacks, etc..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dinangerdinanger Member Posts: 8
    Hello. I have a dealer printout of the repair history up to 66,543 miles for a 1999 528i Sports Package. I'm wondering whether the car had its Inspection II service. The challenge is that the repair history shows only "repair order" numbers, claim numbers and defect codes. Would someone here be able to tell me if one of them is for Inspection II? Thank you.
    So even though it is a reliability/safety issue that they have no solution for and even though they knew about this issue prior to me buying it, they can refuse to do both?
    Thanks for that piece of information. Now I know who to fight my battles with.
  • jasjas Member Posts: 115
    Carkook - not sure if you have gone forward with the bluetooth for your 530i. I just completed this task on a late year 2004. There was some question regarding which cars could do it or not and it took a little investigating. I needed a software upgrade (03/2004 - 08/2004 production) but I believe the 2005's are setup for it. Also, there was not alot of printed info on how to get the two to talk, but I got through it.

It works good! My phone links up with the car shortly after I get in and the clarity through the speakers is great as well as knowing if you phone is ringing when you have the stereo turned up. It is really nice not wearing a headset or holding the phone to your ear (as long as you are by yourself).

The BMW list is not up-to-date. I have AT&T and got a bluetooth Motorola that replaced a phone on the list and it worked fine.

I am sure any blue tooth phone will work and with most carriers you have 30 days to replace.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Has anyone had any problems with a rubbing/rattle coming from the driver's side door (E39). I tried all the BMW door seal lubricant, but it is still a problem. The noise is especially noticeable during cold weather. Maybe it is a door latch problem. I also get a popping/rubbing sound from the center of the dash (again in cold weather)when the car encounters uneven road surfaces. Comments?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I haven't encountered the dashboard noise that you describe, but I have dealt with a similar noise in the doors. In my case it was the vinyl interior door panel rubbing against the metal of the door. I solved the problem by spraying some Vinlyex on a piece of thin coated cardboard and sliding the card around the perimeter of the door panel between the interior panel and the door. The vinylex acts as a lubricant to silence the rubbing noise.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I had this on my 528. BMW replaced the door seals. But you may not be under warranty.
  • bmw_newbmw_new Member Posts: 6
    Recently got a new 05 530i and absolutely love

the car.

I have a simple question regarding radio

preset. Is there any way I can create a list

containing both AM and FM stations so that

I can switch them from my wheel button

without going through iDrive? I have

no problem creating list for either

FM or AM? But have not been able to

figure out a way to mix them in a single

list.

Thanks.
  • jkingjking Member Posts: 12
    I agree 100% with your assesment of the 545. Great driving, handling etc., but terrible interior design. I too overlooked the basics, when testing the car, and concentrated on the run-flats and performance. My 2004 545 s/p,p/p

has a very annoying creaky-seat which cannot be adjusted to make the sound go away.

The Harmon-Kardon system is not as good as it should be considering the cost of the option.

Although the fuel consumption is great for the power rating, and vehicle weight, the auto transmission is programmed to go into 6th too quickly to conserve fuel, and has to drop 2 gears every time I try to accelerate. This makes the car surge unexpectedly which does not make for a relaxed drive.

I now feel that overlooking the questionable styling, and terrible interior, due to the handling/braking etc., was a mistake.

Having said all of the above, there really isn't much of a choice in this class, and BMW really does have us over a barrel. There really aren't any true competitors to the 545.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I don't think you can do this. You can switch from AM to FM by assigning that feature to one of the steering wheel buttons. So, you could jump from AM to FM presets but not mix them together. If you have voice command, you can also use that to switch from AM to FM. Ditto satellite radio if you have that feature. I do and like it a lot.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "…the auto transmission is programmed to go into 6th too quickly to conserve fuel, and has to drop 2 gears every time I try to accelerate. This makes the car surge unexpectedly which does not make for a relaxed drive."

Could it be that you are pressing the pedal too far down? If not, take your car into service, this should not be happening. The automatic transmissions in BMWs are silky smooth. Have you also tried the sport mode of the Steptronic? It will not give more relaxed shift points but it would be worth comparing to the standard auto mode. If it works smoother it may give an indication that the auto mode is not functioning properly.
  • bmw_newbmw_new Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I will try to programm one button

to do the switch. Hopefully, BMW can improve

this in the future.

Next step is to hook up my bluetooth phone.

This car ROCKS!
  • dclurkerdclurker Member Posts: 57
    Sorry to be so late responding, but I just discovered this thread. I bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (please don't laugh; it's a good car for the money) and it has the dreaded "passenger air bag off" problem. My understanding is that it is not a problem specific to any one brand. NHTSA requires 65 percent of 2005 MY vehicles to have the OCS system installed (all 2006's will have it). In theory, it makes sense to have the passenger air bags activate or deactivate depending on the weight of the passenger. In reality, the technology is "not ready for prime time". My air bags are supposed to activate if the passenger weighs more than 55 pounds. My adult daughter (135 pounds) triggers the system, but my wife (100 pounds) does not. The sad part is that no one seems to know how to fix the problem. The companies who supply the sensors to the automakers are working on it, but I haven't heard of any imminent sure-fire fix. When I bought my Elantra, I thought I had the problem because I had bought an inexpensive car. It makes me feel a little better to find that even buyers of premuim makes like BMW and Lexus are having the same problem. If you want to learn more, go to www.elantraairbag.com. I expect as more and more owners of vehicles with this flawed system complain to NHTSA, we will see some kind of a recall. Best of luck to all of you.
    ROCKS, indeed! I knew I was getting a good car. I did not realize how great it would be. Best car I have ever owned.

Meanwhile, let us know how you do with the Bluetooth. When I picked up my car (2005 545 six-speed), the dealer happened to have his Bluetooth equipped phone in his pocket and was able to form a partnership with my car on the spot. So, it ought to be easy as long as you have a BMW approved phone.
  • jkingjking Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
  • dhandelsmandhandelsman Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in purchasing a 1997 540i with about 97,000 miles on it. Carfax shows a Salvage Title/Rebuilt Title issued in 2002 at about 55,000. The current owner bought it in 2002, and has since put about 42,000 miles on the car. Car looks beautiful, has been maintained at appropriate intervals according to repair records, and ran perfectly in test drive. I gather from looking at a posting regarding a 1995 528 that having a Rebuilt Title takes a big bite out of a car's resale value. I would probably drive such a car for another ten years if it remains intact and I can afford the maintenance. So my biggest worries are (1) the Rebuilt Title and what if anything that says about the car's condition and (2) overpaying to buy such a car. Any thoughts?
    Driving an 8 year old BMW for ten more years, all post-100K miles? That is likely to be very expensive..

But, that wasn't your question...

1) The current condition of the car (verified by a mechanic) is much more important than whether it has a rebuilt title.. regarding future reliability...

2) That car is probably worth well south of $10K.. Maybe only $5K-$6K.

You might ask Terry at Real World Trade-In Values for an opinion on price.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jasjas Member Posts: 115
    BMW's, like alot of cars, can be very expensive to repair if they have major damage. So, at the 5 year point, a major accident could very easily total the car from the insurance companys standpoint.

I was just talking to an independent BMW mechanic, this morning actually, that buys cars under salvage, rebuilds/repairs them and then drives them for many years.

It sounds like you are not worried about selling the car or it's resale value. So if you can get it under market value and the car checks out fine, it may be a good route for you. I would use the salvage title as leverage on the price.

I would look closely at the frame and alignment. BMW tires wear out when the frames are straight, let alone if they are tweaked. The salvage would probably not have an impact on the drivetrain, but I would check that out as closely as any car I was buying.

Good Luck.
    Thought I saw a series of posts in this forum regarding rear air bags on the E60 and how you determine if they have been activated. If so, can someone point me in the right direction?
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    Verizon finally cane out with a Blue tooth phone (Motorola V710). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to connect to my 05 BMW.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Only certain phones work with the BMW Bluetooth. Your's should soon. Here is the text of an email I got on the subject from BMW of North America listing approved phones:

AT&T Wireless

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T616

Sony Ericsson T637

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Cingular

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T637

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Sprint PCS

Sony Ericsson T608

T Mobile

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T610

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued)

Verizon Wireless

Motorola V710 *No

*Note: The Verizon Wireless Bluetooth phone (Motorola V710) launched in September of this year. This device is not fully supported by BMW’s Bluetooth option. The phone is expected to be compatible with BMW’s Bluetooth option before the end of this year, when Verizon implements new software.

Thank you for choosing BMW. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the quick response. I called BMW customer relations and was told that they are working on the Motorola V710 and expect to solve the problem within days - well, certainly by Jan 1. How they will do this I haven't a clue.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    I don't have a garage to house my '03 530I and was thinking of getting remote start for the sometimes cold NJ mornings. However, I am concerned that since remote start taps into the electrical system, getting it may void my warranty. Anyone get it installed or thoughts?

Thanks, BK
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    Don't do it. Extended idling of a cold engine is not recommended by most mfrs. Engines reach their optimum operational temps most quickly when drive gently and take much longer to get temp up at idle speeds which increases wear and tear.

Besides your car outside in New Jersey probably isn't any colder than mine in New Hampshire when it's in the garage :_)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

What Andy said. Plus, modern BMWs have very complex electrical systems which are connected to a myriad of computer modules. There's absolutely no way I'd let some nitwit start hacking away at it. Odds are you'd end up with a BMW that wouldn't start with the key-never mind the remote.
  • zart1zart1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I wonder if there is anyone who could help me with my Beamer. I have a 95 525i and air conditioning works all the time. My mechanic has tried anything he could think of, but in the end nothing worked. I would also like to know if anyone knows where I can find a right headlight washer, because of that i have a washer fluid low message all the time.

thanks, I would appreciate any help
    I'm assuming that you mean that the A/C compressor is operating whenever the engine is running. I'm also assuming that you know that the snowflake button on the HVAC panel is the A/C compressor switch. If the switch is not stuck in the "ON" position then there is a short or a bad diode somewhere in the compressor circuit. I would hope that your mechanic has access to the proper wiring diagram for your car as it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot an electrical problem without one.

As for your "Washer Fluid Low" telltale, I would think that the problem is a faulty level sensor in the washer fluid reservoir.

Finally,

Bimmer=BMW Automobile

Beemer=BMW Motorcycle
    thanks div.

I do live outside the US and spelling is a bit of an issue, so don't be too harsh on me. The problem with the A/C switch and the entire HVAC panel is that besides the defroster (the top button) the other two don't work. We changed the heating regulator (i'm not sure the english term for the thing that's located underneath the glove compartment) and it worked for a second and stopped working again. I have taken out the A/C relay so i'm driving without air conditioning right now (not that I need it in the winter), but whenever i drove the car with a/c working I had a horrible sound from the right side and have no idea what that was.

but thanks again for your response i really appreciate it
    No offense intended on the spelling; it's really more of a problem in the US than anywhere else. I'll try to do some digging around to see if I can find out what is causing your HVAC problem.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    thanks for the comments. I was just curious what other owners thought. When the guy mentioned having to splice wires because BMW uses 4 volt vs. normal 12 volt and it being a long job, a little voice said no way in my head. It is true that the car heats up pretty quickly and it was 10 degress last Monday.

BLK
  • davv62davv62 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2001 BMW 530i with about 35,000 miles on it. It has always been great except for some intermittent electrical problems that seem to be systemic.

I have had the hazard lights come on, and been unable to turn them off. I have also had the vehicle computer lose information such as date/time. Earlier this year, the key remote failed repeatedly, and it took 4 trips to the dealer to get it fixed.

Now, I keep getting an indicator saying "check brake lights." I checked them, and they work when the car is running, but now when it's off. Does anybody know if this is normal?

Have others had similar problems with their cars?
    also, I forgot to mention that I'm getting a trans program message once in a while. I had a transmission job done in June, but it still repeats that message, however, the diagnostic computer does not show any faults with the transmission currently, but I don't like how it shifts the gears. There is no slippage, but sometimes it shifts rough and gets all the way to 2500 rpm before switching from 3rd to 4th. Also, the car loses speed too quickly when I take my foot off the pedal.
    It sounds like that joker had never worked on a BMW before. Good call to forget the remote start.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    I also am having a similar issue with our 2000 528i. Battery kept going dead overnight. Checked the battery and alternator myself. Alternator was normal so assumed the battery had died after 5 years. I replaced the battery (at a cost of $125). 2 weeks later, I wake up to a dead battery. This time the BMW dealer checks it out and finds everything normal. Over the weekend, I walk into the garage and notice the parking lights on. However the light switch inside the car is off. I started the engine and shut off and the lights go out. Is this a computer glitch? Dealer mentioned something about "parasitic power drain" where the computer will turn things on spontaneously when the engine is off. Anyone ever hear of this or how to fix it? Any idea on repair cost?
  • italyitaly Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 530i has 35,500 miles. The 3 year/36K free maintenance service will be running out. My dealer wants to sell me a 6 year/100k free maintenance policy for $1,400. I just had the front disc brakes replaced under the original free maintenance policy. Is the extended 6 year/100k maintenance service policy worth $1,400????
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Funny.... wondering the same thing, though I don't have a cost yet. I've got 39800 on my '03, and an appointment for some service on Monday - wanted the car gone over before it was out of warranty. I'll probably get it, since I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and the way I drive I'll definitely hit the 100K before then. If the terms are the same as the "free! free! free!" original warranty then I think it works for me.

My questions for you would go to things like how long do you plan keeping the car, do you have any inkling that things might not be going well, do you have a relationship with an independent that would mitigate costs, etc.
  • motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    div2, thanks for setting everyone straight on "Bimmer" vs. "beemer". The "Beemer thing seem to take roots in the yuppie, me and only me crowd of the '80's. A BMW is a BIMMER!
    If you are sure you will keep it for 3 more years, and you are sure you will get to the 60K mile Inspection II by then... then, I think it is a pretty fair deal.. You'll be going to the dealer for at least one more year for warranty service anyway... It will be nice that everything else is covered as well..

Just my $0.02,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator