Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    Thought I saw a series of posts in this forum regarding rear air bags on the E60 and how you determine if they have been activated. If so, can someone point me in the right direction?
  • ajroseajrose Posts: 29
    Verizon finally cane out with a Blue tooth phone (Motorola V710). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to connect to my 05 BMW.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    Only certain phones work with the BMW Bluetooth. Your's should soon. Here is the text of an email I got on the subject from BMW of North America listing approved phones:

AT&T Wireless

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T616

Sony Ericsson T637

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Cingular

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T637

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Sprint PCS

Sony Ericsson T608

T Mobile

Motorola V600

Sony Ericsson T610

Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued)

Verizon Wireless

Motorola V710 *No

*Note: The Verizon Wireless Bluetooth phone (Motorola V710) launched in September of this year. This device is not fully supported by BMW’s Bluetooth option. The phone is expected to be compatible with BMW’s Bluetooth option before the end of this year, when Verizon implements new software.

Thank you for choosing BMW. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
  • ajroseajrose Posts: 29
    Thanks for the quick response. I called BMW customer relations and was told that they are working on the Motorola V710 and expect to solve the problem within days - well, certainly by Jan 1. How they will do this I haven't a clue.
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    I don't have a garage to house my '03 530I and was thinking of getting remote start for the sometimes cold NJ mornings. However, I am concerned that since remote start taps into the electrical system, getting it may void my warranty. Anyone get it installed or thoughts?

Thanks, BK
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,685
    Don't do it. Extended idling of a cold engine is not recommended by most mfrs. Engines reach their optimum operational temps most quickly when drive gently and take much longer to get temp up at idle speeds which increases wear and tear.

Besides your car outside in New Jersey probably isn't any colder than mine in New Hampshire when it's in the garage :_)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    What Andy said. Plus, modern BMWs have very complex electrical systems which are connected to a myriad of computer modules. There's absolutely no way I'd let some nitwit start hacking away at it. Odds are you'd end up with a BMW that wouldn't start with the key-never mind the remote.
  • zart1zart1 Posts: 3
    Hi. I wonder if there is anyone who could help me with my Beamer. I have a 95 525i and air conditioning works all the time. My mechanic has tried anything he could think of, but in the end nothing worked. I would also like to know if anyone knows where I can find a right headlight washer, because of that i have a washer fluid low message all the time.

thanks, I would appreciate any help
    I'm assuming that you mean that the A/C compressor is operating whenever the engine is running. I'm also assuming that you know that the snowflake button on the HVAC panel is the A/C compressor switch. If the switch is not stuck in the "ON" position then there is a short or a bad diode somewhere in the compressor circuit. I would hope that your mechanic has access to the proper wiring diagram for your car as it's nearly impossible to troubleshoot an electrical problem without one.

As for your "Washer Fluid Low" telltale, I would think that the problem is a faulty level sensor in the washer fluid reservoir.

Finally,

Bimmer=BMW Automobile

Beemer=BMW Motorcycle
    thanks div.

I do live outside the US and spelling is a bit of an issue, so don't be too harsh on me. The problem with the A/C switch and the entire HVAC panel is that besides the defroster (the top button) the other two don't work. We changed the heating regulator (i'm not sure the english term for the thing that's located underneath the glove compartment) and it worked for a second and stopped working again. I have taken out the A/C relay so i'm driving without air conditioning right now (not that I need it in the winter), but whenever i drove the car with a/c working I had a horrible sound from the right side and have no idea what that was.

but thanks again for your response i really appreciate it
    No offense intended on the spelling; it's really more of a problem in the US than anywhere else. I'll try to do some digging around to see if I can find out what is causing your HVAC problem.
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    thanks for the comments. I was just curious what other owners thought. When the guy mentioned having to splice wires because BMW uses 4 volt vs. normal 12 volt and it being a long job, a little voice said no way in my head. It is true that the car heats up pretty quickly and it was 10 degress last Monday.

BLK
  • davv62davv62 Posts: 76
    I have a 2001 BMW 530i with about 35,000 miles on it. It has always been great except for some intermittent electrical problems that seem to be systemic.

I have had the hazard lights come on, and been unable to turn them off. I have also had the vehicle computer lose information such as date/time. Earlier this year, the key remote failed repeatedly, and it took 4 trips to the dealer to get it fixed.

Now, I keep getting an indicator saying "check brake lights." I checked them, and they work when the car is running, but now when it's off. Does anybody know if this is normal?

Have others had similar problems with their cars?
    also, I forgot to mention that I'm getting a trans program message once in a while. I had a transmission job done in June, but it still repeats that message, however, the diagnostic computer does not show any faults with the transmission currently, but I don't like how it shifts the gears. There is no slippage, but sometimes it shifts rough and gets all the way to 2500 rpm before switching from 3rd to 4th. Also, the car loses speed too quickly when I take my foot off the pedal.
    It sounds like that joker had never worked on a BMW before. Good call to forget the remote start.
  • I also am having a similar issue with our 2000 528i. Battery kept going dead overnight. Checked the battery and alternator myself. Alternator was normal so assumed the battery had died after 5 years. I replaced the battery (at a cost of $125). 2 weeks later, I wake up to a dead battery. This time the BMW dealer checks it out and finds everything normal. Over the weekend, I walk into the garage and notice the parking lights on. However the light switch inside the car is off. I started the engine and shut off and the lights go out. Is this a computer glitch? Dealer mentioned something about "parasitic power drain" where the computer will turn things on spontaneously when the engine is off. Anyone ever hear of this or how to fix it? Any idea on repair cost?
  • italyitaly Posts: 3
    My 2002 530i has 35,500 miles. The 3 year/36K free maintenance service will be running out. My dealer wants to sell me a 6 year/100k free maintenance policy for $1,400. I just had the front disc brakes replaced under the original free maintenance policy. Is the extended 6 year/100k maintenance service policy worth $1,400????
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Funny.... wondering the same thing, though I don't have a cost yet. I've got 39800 on my '03, and an appointment for some service on Monday - wanted the car gone over before it was out of warranty. I'll probably get it, since I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, and the way I drive I'll definitely hit the 100K before then. If the terms are the same as the "free! free! free!" original warranty then I think it works for me.

My questions for you would go to things like how long do you plan keeping the car, do you have any inkling that things might not be going well, do you have a relationship with an independent that would mitigate costs, etc.
  • div2, thanks for setting everyone straight on "Bimmer" vs. "beemer". The "Beemer thing seem to take roots in the yuppie, me and only me crowd of the '80's. A BMW is a BIMMER!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,835
    If you are sure you will keep it for 3 more years, and you are sure you will get to the 60K mile Inspection II by then... then, I think it is a pretty fair deal.. You'll be going to the dealer for at least one more year for warranty service anyway... It will be nice that everything else is covered as well..

Just my $0.02,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I have a 2001 530i. Can you reset the service indicator yourself? It had the service inspection 2 before I bought it and I change the oil myself.

Thanks
    So I call the dealer to get a price quote on an extended warranty for the 540...$3400 smackers! And it is "almost as comprehensive" as the original warranty - I've not seen the paper yet, soI don't know how "almost". It is extremely doubtful that I'll do this, however I'm curious - is that figure a bit much, or am I missing something?
  • ybtybt Posts: 5
    While visiting one of the BMW dealers in my area

I got across slightly used 2001 BMW 540 with auto transmission. The car looked great, the only thing that raised question transmission doesn't have steptronic feature. I was under ipmression that all non manual 5 series after 2000 year model got a steptronic. According to the dealer 540's w/o sport package only get automatic tranny w/o steptronic. Can anybody tell is it a lot of difference i.e. I mean driving experince? Or is there any possible way to upgrade the auto transmission with the steptronic feature?
  • Hello All, I recently had a front end wreck - everything above the bumper, fortunately, 'supposedly' no engine damage. I just got my car back and a couple of times the A/C fan turns on - middle of winter?! Never happend before. Any answers?comments? Also, I realized that when I turn on my high beams, there is a half second humming/buzzing noise from my engine as if my battery/engine is being drained. Common? Or am I being paranoid after the accident? Stress looms in the back of my head thinking something serious is going to happend down the line, granted the car will never be the same. I still enjoy driving my car, but problems might be coming. Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?...Thinking about trading-in for 2005 TL or drive the bimmer to the ground. -john
  • I drove my friends 528 with steptronic. It is fun but not that big of a deal. In fact, it is just like shifting with any automatic car by yourself -shifting from (1-2-3-4-D). I think the whole thing is kind of gimmicky UNLESS it was SMG! Besides, you may use the steptronic the first few weeks but after that I am sure you grow out of it. Moreover, I was so disappointed that the 5-series (just like the TL) automatically shifts out of first gear once the RPM goes to high. What gear shifting excitement is that?!?! If the car shifts by itself?
    If I recall, list price for the warranty extension on the 530i is $2749, so I'm not surprised that the V-8 is more... How much more, I'm not sure..

But, this is different from the maintenance extension... you knew that, right?

regards,

kyfdx

No. I'm a lot fuzzy on the differences, since I have not seen the documentation, just had a phone call with a saleperson. I hope to get over to a dealer today, but any light you can shed would be appreciated.
    Extended Warranty.. Basically replicates the CPO warranty.. extending warranty out to 6yr/100K. There may be some differences between the extended warranty you buy, and the CPO warranty that comes with a used BMW, but I'm not sure exactly what they are..

Extended Maintenance plan... This extends the "free" maintenance that is included with your new car out to 6yr/100K..

The warranty, as you have seen, is fairly expensive... The maintenance plan on a V-8 is likely $1200-$1600..

I personally wouldn't get the extended warranty without the extended maintenance plan..... but, I might get the maintenance without the warranty..

regards,

kyfdx

Thanks lots. I am probably looking more at the maintenance piece of things, since I am still trying to find a good independent.

I appreciate the clarification. Who knows, that price might include both! (And I am 6'2", good looking, and rich too, lol)
    Yeah.. anything is possible.... lol

Are you in New York? (or even if you aren't) Call Carbone BMW in Utica... they have a lot of experience selling those extensions over the phone.... and they discount from the MSRP..

Just ask for whoever handles bimmerfest members..

regards,

kyfdx