Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tngirltngirl Member Posts: 1
    I started a new discussion under the Volvo heading but was hoping to get insight from you C70 lovers.
    I really want one. I find out in Oct if my grant-funded position will be renewed.
    I understand that the old body halts production in Sept. so if I want the perfect custom one, I need to decide now.
    Do I go w/ the classic current C70 style or hold out for the new one? Not too sure I like the look of a hard top convertable...
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Tough to say on something that I have not seen or do not have the specs on. I don't know how 'mass produced' the new C70 will be but I can tell you that I absolutely love my 2000. I know my salesman is planning on putting me in the new C70 when it comes out, but I still plan on letting the new body style 'settle' for a couple of years before I make the decision to get one. If you get the 'old' style, I do not think you will be dissapointed.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The new C70 will be based on the new S40.
    Production of the old car ceases in October.
    Late Sept is the cutoff date for special orders.
    Some items can no longer be ordered on C70's, for exapmple manual transmissions can no longer be specified.

The new C70 will arrive in the fall of 2005.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    We got one of the first 1999 C70 convertibles in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in January 1999. We loved it and when we learned it would no longer be available later this year, we traded the 1999 in on a nearly identical 2004 (under the theory that it would then last 5 years longer). When looking at convertibles back in 1998 and 1999, what we liked about the Volvo was the real/functional back seat. We needed the back seat. Volvo was the only car we liked that could truly hold 4 adults. Our understanding of the new style is that it is more in line with the small Benz and BMW in that the rear seat is essentially non-existent as the platform for the new car is significantly smaller. I am sure there are many advantages to the newer platform (old style C70 is on a platform more than 10 years old) but for us we needed the "bigger" car and absolutely loved our '99. You need to determine what you need from the car as my understanding is that the new vs old are apples to oranges.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Ive seen one or two C70 coupes with a body colored front grill, rather than the usual silver one. You guys know if this grill was an option, or some kind of custom thing?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Volvomax will have the definitive answer, but my guess is the grills were custon jobs. All I've seen are the silver vertical bars and the newer ones with the black grill. IPD has replacement ones but they're silver mesh.
    here's an example:

ummmmm

NICE!
    Sweet, even though I don't care for black cars!
  • shishishishi Member Posts: 6
    In the 7 months since we purchased our C70 with 17" alloy rims we have had to replace two due to the fact that they cracked. The Volvo mechanic mentioned that since the rims were not made for New England roads, but warmer climates this would be a continous problem. Anybody else have this problem and what about changing to other rims or tire size? Help!
    That's a new one to me, however, I do live in a much warmer climate and have had no problems with my 17" rims.
    The grilles are definitely custom jobs. We ahve done several over the years. I had the grill on my 850 T5R painted black as in the C70 photo posted.
    It is quite a slick car isnt it
  • bramibrami Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am thinking of buying a c70 2.4T convertible. It is in holland now. Therefore it drove in Germany en it was sold new in Canada.
    According to the owner it should be a 1999. When importing the car they sayd it is a 1998. The vin number ends with: 0472.
    Does anyone know when production and delivery of the c70 convertible started and from witch year this vin-number should be?
    Brami, don't know anything about the vin number, but check the area in front of the doors and wheel well. A 99 has a turn signal lamp there, and a 98 has the word Volvo in the same place, at least in the US. I have have a 99.
    Brami:

Another indicator is the trunk. If the word "Volvo" is above the license plate it should be an '01 or above. On the 98-00 the word volvo was beneath the right tail light.
    Ok....
    So the coupe was getting a nasty steering wheel so I took the $475 plunge this weekend during the 75k checkup. Bought the wood steering wheel. I'll let you know how the grey and wood looks against the tan once I get it back.
    isn't "Volvo" beneath the LEFT tail light? Beneath the right is "C70". Congrats on the new wood steering wheel. The $475 is a big hit to the wallet, but I'm sure it will be beautiful. I may have that decision to make down the road because mine is begining to show some wear, like the dye is coming off.
    Sorry...I was left so many times golfing yesterday, I've been compensating by wishing everything right. It's been playing havok with my home life.
    Stopped by the dealer yesterday. Was talking to my salesman as he is trying to get me into the new retractible hard top and I was looking for pictures.

He said that it IS going to be called the C50. Not impressed with the pictures I've seen and it says that the engine is going to be 218hp (which is what I think is in the S40).
    Needless to say, looks like (after the new steering wheel and radiator overflow) the C70 is good for another 76k.
    months back it would still be called the C70. How does the new steering wheel look?
    Well, it will be called the C70.
    Also, none of the pics are out of the car. Only artist renderings.
    Steering wheel looks surprisingly acceptable given the tan interior. Obviously blends in with the dash ok.

I've seen the artist renderings and they look like retouched A4 convertibles. I have also seen the actual pictures from the spy sights and obviously they are not much to go by.

I will be interested to see what they call it given that I consider Volvomax a wealth of information. If it's anything like the artist renderings I don't think I'll be buying one. Might trade in mine for an 03 convertible.
    Yep....

Those are some of the pictures I've seen. To me it looks like an A4 convertible that has been retouched in Photoshop.
    Thanks for the love :)

Seriously, Volvo is on record w/ the C70 name.
    The only real pics that are out there are of the car undergoing winter testing.
    Given that it is based on the new S40 I would expect some similarity to that car.
    Volvo should unveil the car sometime around the first of the year.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Couple of things I wanted to ask you experienced C70 owners. I've had a 2002 coupe only a few months. First, there is alot of wind noise on the passenger side. Is that common due to the design or was I duped into buying a used car that had been in an accident. Also, I have an HT coupe with 17" wheels. My commute is all bumpy back roads and the ride is very harsh. I was thinking of getting 16" wheels with all-season tires for a smoother ride and better winter drive. I went to a tire place and they said because the car came with 17" tires by design, I cannot put 16" wheels on without changes to the car suspension type things. Is that true? Also will I be really unhappy with the 16"ers due to handling type differences? I have a funny story. I was hit in the back and the bumper had to be replaced. When I went to pick it up at the body shop, they had put on the back emblem for an S80. I had them change it but thought it would be kinda funny to leave it on.
    I had a 2002 Coupe.
    The side window is probably out of adjustment.
    No big deal, it was a fairly common issue.
    The C70 coupe came with a sport suspension, changing to a 16" wheel won't change the ride very much.
    I have a 200 Coupe.
    Ditto...There is usually no wind noise until about 110 mph. It is quite possible that the window cartridge has had it. My driver side one cost me $950 and they had to go through two of them before it finally sealed correctly. Think my passenger side one is about due for (hopefully only) an adjustment.
    You will notice a difference in handling. Depending on where you live, you may want the 16's for the winter at the very least. I have a very shallow grade on my driveway and with my 17's it is not fun to get up (Chicago).
    Ditto on the suspension. It would be a rough ride if it was a hovercraft! (But I wouldn't change it for the world)
    Where's Soledoc when you need him??? He had 16 inchers in Indianapolis. His input would be good right about now.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Neither the owner's manual nor maintenance schedule for my '02 C70 says anything about replacing the engine coolant. The maintenance schedule does say "check/adjust coolant level" every 7500 miles, but does not mention anything about when to replace the coolant. Obviously the coolant needs to be replaced at some point, yes? Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • kskvernonkskvernon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 LT Coupe with 67k miles on the car. This car has been a headache since I bought it with 5k on it. Over the past few months, I've been noticing a ticking noise in the engine. I had Volvo look at it, and they said it was due to worn seal gaskets in the oil pan. So I had the gaskets replaced, at a cost of $400. Unfortunately, the ticking noise still exists, and I'm being told it's probably due to bad lifters, which is going to cost more than the $400 it cost to fix the gaskets in the oil pan. I've changed the oil and taken care of the engine. Has anyone had or heard of this problem at this mileage or do I just have a lemon? Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace lifters? Thanks to all...
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Hi. My light pressure turbo C70 is in need of new tires. Anyone have any suggestions as to which brand or which model would be best? In your experience, which tires have worked for the C70 and which have not? The wheels are 17 inches and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    taking a friend to look at C70 convertibles and Saab 9-3 convertibles this weekend. i have tried to get her to consider the A4, but she won't hear of it.

anyway, is the C70 (01 - 03) a good buy? gonna be a good car? i am asking the same question in the Saab forum.

Thanks!
    Tires....
    Go to tirerack.com. I bought the 17" Bridgestone Potenza's for my HT and they were better than the Pilot's in wet and the tread has worn very evenly.

01-03 is a good buy depending on the miles (yes. obviously I have an amazing grasp of the obvious) I would reccomend that she goes for one (no matter what model) that will throw in the extra 100k warranty. I did not get it for my 00 coupe and regret it only because of regular maintenance type issues (windows, throttle body, frozen brake caliper).
  • doubledogmomdoubledogmom Member Posts: 2
    Well my C70 convert is back in the dealer's shop AGAIN for noise and rattles! Fifth time back to the dealer since I purchased it on 5/15/04. It is a great looking car. Seats comfy. But noisy and in my opinion an overpriced piece of junk! Anybody else have this many problems?
    Sorry to hear you're having problems, especially on one so new. What kind of noise and rattles are you experiencing? My '99 still seems quiet to me. No wind noise with the top up at all, and no appreciable rattles, but after all, it is a convertible.
  • otisotis Member Posts: 12
    Justin,
    I did extensive research before leasing my '04 C70 including comparing it to the Saab and Audi. Some bad mechanical reviews on Edmunds made me cautious about the Volvo, but after 6 months I couldn't be happier with this car. None of the problems listed here have cropped up...but I only have 6,000 miles on it so far. I suspect that like every car line, you get some "friday cars"...ones that just have something go wrong all the time and the fixes seem dubious. If you are looking at a used C70 then the maintenance history and extended warranty are a must. One thing in your favor with considering the C70 might be it's moderate depreciation rate (much higher than say a BMW 3 series) so a '00-'01 might only be worth 1/2 it's original sale price. My 3 year residual value at lease time was right around 50%...so a used '01 with 35-40,000 miles should be stickered in the low $20K range (maybe). Also check on leasing new or leasing a program or early returned(from lease) car...Jaguar sometimes does this, and the savings can be significant. In the end my C70 costs me around 480/mo and that was a lot lower than the Audi and I love the look, feel, drive of this car. Good luck.
  • jenny1jenny1 Member Posts: 3
    i was at demontrond volvo today looking to buy a certified pre-owned C70. how have your experiences been with them since your posting?

i'm looking at a '02 HPT. any problems with your car more recently? anything you wish you were told before your purchase?
  • uv4meuv4me Member Posts: 22
    I'm in the market for a convertible sedan with decent rear legroom for my two small co-pilots. Thinking around 30k is the budget....so do I get a 02-03 C70 or look at the Toyota Solara? I've looked at the Bimmers but worry about expensive upkeep down the road. Audi and Saab seem tight in back and the Sebring is junk. Any thoughts?
    The C70 is a true four passenger car with a real back seat. There's more rear headroom than in my wife's ES300. How old are your two small co-pilots? In and out of a car seat would be a pain and some think the seat travel time is too slow.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last 30 pages of postings over the past day. It seems like you are definitely proud car owners and you guys have given me enough info now to buy with confidence.

problem is there aren't very many out there to choose from (i am buying used) and i am pretty picky about colors.

Came across a listing for a '01 C70 LT conv. with 72K miles on it already. It is my second color choice. Asking price is $22K, but i can probably get them down to $19K.

Do you guys think this car is basically ragged out? Is it possible to rag out a Volvo? This car has been driven approx. 24K mi/year over the past 3 years and there is no extended warranty. is the $7K in savings worth the risk?

Any comments/problems from C70 owners out there that have hit 70-100K mi?

Besides checking carfax, maintenance records, tires/rims, leaks from the turbo, and replacement of belts - is there anything else i need to know in order to make an educated decision?

thanks in advance and hopefully i'll be visiting a lot more often!
    A Volvo w/ 72k miles is far from ragged out.
    Make sure the current owner has done all the maintenance though.
    thanks for your input, volvomax. just concerned that it is bad for the engine to put that many miles on a car that quickly.
    As volvomax said however....
    -see if you can get the dealer to 'throw in' the extended warranty.
    -check to see if the throttle body has been replaced yet.
    -see if any maintenance has been done on the two front windows.
    -ask if they have checked the ABS sensors and find out what condition they are in.
    -take a close look at the sides of the steering wheel to see what condition it is in.
    Test drove an '04 LT Convertible today. Had a different feel than my '02 Coupe. Are the suspensions the same between the 2? Any differences?
    The convertibles have a Comfort suspension and the coupes have a Sport suspension. Or...the coupe is firmer than the convertible. Different shocks, springs, etc.
    Hi Tmart. Is the different suspension why the Convertible comes standard with 16" wheels and the coupe with 17" wheels? Was thinking of getting 16" for the coupe for the winter and was wondering if compatible.
    16 inch wheels for the coupe in winter would be smart (at least that's the recommendation coming from Chicago).

I believe, and I may be off on this, that the 16" wheels come standard with the LT and the 17" with the HT. Regardless if it is a coupe or convertible. (At least that's what it was like in 2000)
    Craig, you're probably right on the sizes. The 17's were optional on my '99 LT convertible. You still planning a road trip south?
    there is also the issue of a 500 lb weight difference and the coupe's stiffer chassis.