Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kingofspamkingofspam Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2009 EX-L (white, tan leather interior) with DVD and Nav for 32,830.29 OTD. Vehicle price was 30,000 + tax and licensing. If you're still shopping, check out Honda of Serramonte, in Daly City.
    No, you can do better, keep negotiating.

We just bought a 2009 EX-L with RES and NAV for 30,000 + T&L (OTD was $32,830.29). If the one you're looking at has only DVD, they should do much better. If they won't, go talk to Honda of Serramonte, that's where I got mine.

Also, in general, I think it's bad to negotiate the OTD price, because the OTD price is variable based on the vehicle price. When negotiating, negotiate the vehicle price and get that nailed down, then calculate the OTD price. When we bought ours, we negotiated 30K as the vehicle price and I didn't even know the T&L amount until I was with the finance manager. T&L doesn't matter, the vehicle price matters. Well, it does - I'd love to pay lower sales tax - but you know what I mean.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I was referring to being tough because as a general rule salesmen are out for their own best interest - hence commission. Don't be afraid to skip the dealer totally and go through a credit union like my father did. Saved about $1,200.00 over what any dealer would offer when the new Civic first came out. Many people do not know about this option when purchasing a vehicle. I'm not saying be a *sshole just be tough. I have negotiated many vehicles this way and always came out ahead. Usually I end up negotiating with the sales manager anyway after dealing with the initial sales guy and their often annoying tactics. The worst is when they write the price down and have you sign "I will buy the car for this price" as if it is some made up contract.... give me a break!

If the dealer just blows you off and is not willing to haggle back and forth and work with you you don't want to purchase from that dealer anyway. It is a sign of how they feel about customers and most likely how they will treat you in the long run. Find a dealer that wants your business or just skip the dealer and look at a credit union that will deliver the car directly.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    I agree with you lavrishevo. In my area, I even found a kind of syndicate of the dealers around - to make the price similar across the dealers near by.

When I got a internet quote from a dealer A, and is as such requested by another dealer B who promised me if I get that they (Dealer B) accepts that. But, when I went with that quote to B, they simply rejected becz they can't beat it :) I am stunned in this becz they lied to me by saying they will beat if I bring anything less than what they offered earlier.
  • newhondain2009newhondain2009 Member Posts: 5
    OK, bummer.

Is the $550 being quoted for title/registration from dealers accurate in MN (it higher than I'm seeing from others here).
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Would be funny if you could hold them to it. Like if dealer A says they will beat dealer B and vice versa. Then you could just go back and forth till you were pleased with the price... :shades:
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    They might be including the $75.00 dealer doc fee in there too. Although, thanks in part to our wonderful Senate, all vehicle related fee's (TAX) have gone up this year. :mad:
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    30K even for a Nav/Res seems like a great price. Did that inlcude Dest. Charges?
    I was going to ask is Serramonte is in California, but then I googled an found it is near San Fran.

Thanks.
  • triathlonjtriathlonj Member Posts: 25
    OK - rookie question here. Edmunds TMV price for the Oddy EX in my area is $25,879. MSRP is $30,125 making for a $4,246 difference between MSRP and TMV.

Underneath that price, under incentives available, it describes the $2,500 marketing support. Is that on top of the TMV price for a total of $6,746 in discount from MSRP?
    That would leave the TMV - marketing support at $23,379.

Seems too good to be true, but hey, thought I'd ask.
    Hey mkay1 - what part of the country is this in? I'm hoping to get the EX at about that price ($23,773). I'm a bit fuzzy on the math to get to this price. Is this a price that was voluntarily quoted by a dealer, or did you have to haggle to get to the price? (We haven't gone to the dealership yet...)
    Did this price include everything (delivery), except for Tax, Title and Licence?

Thanks! :)
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    You don't use TMV as it is the average price buyers paid for... use the invoice instead...

The price after $2500 marketing support is $24,862
    09 EX
    MSRP 29455 + DEST 670 = 30,125
    INVOICE 26692 + DEST 670 = 27362
    LESS Marketing Support 2500 = 24862 + Adm fee, TT&L = Out The Door total
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I am in Twin Cities,MN. I got quotations from several dealers for 2009 Odyssey EX and all of them gave a price of ~$25000+TTL. Is this too high? Does anybody from Twin Cities have better deal? Thanks
    Yes, the 30K included destination charges, T&L made it 32830 OTD. I was going to get fog lights, but the dealer-installed price was far higher than the factory-installed $311 you see on the Honda website, so I passed on those.

Yes, Serramonte is near San Francisco, but not hard to get to. Believe me, if it was actually in the city I wouldn't go, even though that's only a 15 mile drive for me. Traffic in the city is just too much of a hassle IMO.

I also hear good things about Grace Honda, in San Bruno. My neighbor bought an EX-L there about a year ago. I forget what his price was, but OTD was around 30K. No DVD or Nav.

Before buying this 2009, I also looked at some of the 2009 Rose Bowl VIP Odysseys. They are identical to the one I bought (white ext/tan leather int, DVD+Nav), mileage is anywhere from 1000 ~ 6000 miles. Honda Certified and onl a few months old. However, at least at Tracy Honda, which had 6 in stock when I was there (5 EX-L, 1 Touring), they just weren't willing to move very much on price. No matter how hard we haggled, they were still talking OTD that was less than $1000 below the price of a new vehicle.

Now, I know there's a good argument for these cars in that a nearly-new 2009 Certified one actually has a longer effective warranty period than a new vehicle, but for less than $1000 in price difference, we decided to go with the new one. One of our considerations is that we tend to put on low mileage (we have another mini-van that's three years old and just turned over 15,000 miles) and tend to keep cars a long time (the car the Odyssey is replacing is 10 years old, and I'm only replacing it because we need a larger mini-van to accommodate our growing family, but that 10 year old car only has 113,000 miles on it and is in great shape), so either warranty is likely to expire on time with very low miles on the car. Another point for buying new is that we tend to keep cars a long time, so resale value isn't much of a consideration in used Vs. new.

That said, if you drive more than we do and saving a little (not a lot) off the price of a new Odyssey might be a good deal for you in exchange for the longer warranty period, those Rose Bowl VIP cars are worth checking out. Very low miles and they're in great condition. Dublin Honda also has a couple of them on their website. They used to have more, but I guess those sold. However, their posted asking price is higher than Tracy Honda's, so unless they are willing to seriously move from that price, you could wind up paying as much or more than you would pay for a new vehicle.
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the info, I'm in Ilinois, although I interveiwed with PG&E on Market Street when I was in college. I think If I could get that price here I'd pick it up soon.
    I recently backed my Jeep into a pole (narrow at the top but wide at the bottom where it was out of sight), so If I get a Van soon I won't need to get a rental car. That accidnet made me want the backup sensors, but I can't justifiy the expese of a touring. I currenty have the fogs and I'd lke those too.

Thanks Again,
    Tony
  • fillykonkfillykonk Member Posts: 17
    A great deal. I do know there was an extra $250 incentive between Feb-Mar. Was their any trade-in involved on your end?
    I shopped them all and the best I got on a EX-L w/ RES was $31,688 at Richfield Bloomington OTD ($29,230 + TTL).

I don't know if I can do better but still trying.
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply. It seems like to me that Honda dealers in Twin Cities are very hard to deal with. I will wait until the end of this month to see if they can lower down their prices. $25000+TTL for an Odyssey EX is really not a deal to me at all.
    What dealer / city are these prices from. I want to see if I'm close enough (Texas) to make the trip worth the drive.
    :)
  • mnbob70mnbob70 Member Posts: 14
    Richfield Bloomington got me in the door with the best quote. But their trade in offer on my 2000 Odyssey was ridiculous so I walked out the door. "Miraculously" they were able to "call around to wholesalers" and increased their offer by 80% a couple of days later. A second dealer offered 100% more than RB's initial offer.

I ended up at Walser Burnsville. They are a "one price" shop but their price quote was only a couple of hundred more than the the best quote I received. However, their trade in offer was 230% higher. That made the decision incredibly easy. I had done all my research and was ready for the negotiation. I never expected to end up at a one price dealer. I suppose another person may have gone back and tried to get trade in match combined with the best quote but I'm the type of person who factors in how I'm being treated. Thumbs up to Walser.
  • cthalaimcthalaim Member Posts: 12
    Congrats! looks grt & fantastic deal..which color you went for?
  • hondainatlhondainatl Member Posts: 8
    What was the installed price on the fog lights?

The $311 you see on the Honda website is not a factory installed price. Honda does not factory install accessories. That is the dealership sales price for the part, not including installation. ( I work at one, but soon to be gone for the Air Force.)

The install process for foglights is pretty extensive. You have to wire the whole front of the car up and add a new stock at the side of the steering wheel that has the fog light controls. It's about a 3 hour job.

Here in Atlanta, the normal labor rates are around the $90-100 mark per hour at dealerships, so 3 hours of labor can jack up the price pretty high.
  • sarai1sarai1 Member Posts: 1
    purchased Odyssey EX brand new but 2008 for out the door of 25k even. (no sales tax in OR) They had four 2008s left (now 3 left), could have gotten a 2009, but with less bells and whistles for slightly more $. I did not try to see how low they would go, because they all have kids to feed, same as me, and I felt the price was a fair one.

They were nice, we looked over 2-3 days, and they did not pressure us. They did not try to tack on stuff at the end. Without asking the salesperson had service put in a brand new battery, because the car had been on the lot for a long time.

Our bank was able to give us a better interest rate, then they were offering, about 1/2 percent point better.
  • emfreakemfreak Member Posts: 2
    thanks! i'm a newbie, does that 29,628 include everything including tax?
  • camy4camy4 Member Posts: 9
    i am negotiating price $27000 + 670(dest)+ 600 (other fees) + 162 registration + tax
    total wold be $30779 .
    is this the best deal? should i wait till end of march?
    appreciate input
  • mrscutemrscute Member Posts: 7
    Hi I am looking for odysse

is LX come with automatic sliding door?

what is the best deal on ex?

I got one offer 24,300+TTL

I am in LA/OC area

Please advise me

tks much :confuse:
    No, the LX does not come with power sliding doors. You can compare all model features at this Honda URL.
  • cthalaimcthalaim Member Posts: 12
    LX doesn't come with automatic/power sliding door.

Looks fair, If this 24,300 includes dest charge, but still you can negotiate.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Sizzle7,
    I think that e-mail contact approach should work well.

How will you decide if the discount on an EX is better than the discount on an LX?

Best of luck!
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Sizzle7,

>Maybe I should be comparing SIX years of depreciation on the 2008 with FIVE years of depreciation on the 2009.

Exactly correct.

If you decide to sell it in 2014, the 2008 model will have 6 years of depreciation, and the 2009 will have 5 years of depreciation. No one will care that you bought the 2008 model in 2009 and hence ONLY drove it for 5 years.
  • eco1eco1 Member Posts: 1
    How is sales tax calculated when you lease a car with a trade in?

If the agreed value of the car is 30,000, trade-in is 10,000, and residual is 15,000, is tax simply 7%*(30,000-10,000-15,000)?

Do you need to include financing cost in the tax base? Doc fee or acquisition fee?

Thanks.
  • sizzle7sizzle7 Member Posts: 17
    I looked at KBB for Odyssey depreciation. It turns out that the sixth year of depreciation on an LX is 1455 and 1815 on an EX. However, the ninth year on an LX is 365 and an EX is 650. The short story is that if we keep the car longer (which we usually do), it makes sense to get the 2008 model. If we were keeping it for only five years, it turns out the 2008 LX model is only SLIGHTLY cheaper and the 2008 EX model is actually more expensive. Hope these calcs help others.
  • dogglemandoggleman Member Posts: 3
    What do people think of this price? 2009 Touring with no pax for $35,269 + TTL out the door here in oh so sunny and warm Minnesota.
    Oh my god were you right.

I went to Richfield Bloomington and they totally pulled a bait and switch, and quite frankly, flat out lied and hid numbers.

BAD NEWS!
  • kl47kl47 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'd love to get feedback on the below pricing in Connecticut:

09 ODY EX-L
    $27,749
    $299 Conveyance
    6% CT Tax
    $100 Registration
    $29,830.88 OTD

2 dealers came come in about the same, one with a higher conveyance.

Thanks
    So, it appears there is $2,500 in support to the dealers. The $2,500 is good from 3/1/09 - 3/31/09.

Does anyone think there is a chance that Honda may kick more money to the dealers towards months end (and fiscal year end) to move more product for better end of quarter/year #'s?
    Bummer. Sorry to hear that someone else came away with the same impression as me. RB is exactly what most people are afraid of experiencing when buying a car.
    I remember when Richfield Bloomington used to be great back in the 1980's. But then the Burnsville Honda people built their dealership and everyone from southern Minnesota started to go there as it was closer and easier to get to from I-35. It seemed to me that that was the point things started to change for RB.

It is hard for me to even ask them for a quote these days. I feel like I need a shower after I have talked to them.
  • thelinuxthelinux Member Posts: 13
    I made my purchase on 2009 Odyssey Touring/PAX yesterday.
    Paid 34500+TTL. (About 37500 OTD)
    That gives me some perspective -- thanks! Enjoy it!
  • flyonwall1flyonwall1 Member Posts: 5
    Any experience with REALLY high mileage '06 Odyssey's? I'm considering a '06 Oddysey EX-L with 120,000 miles for purchase from a private seller, and generally believe that well maintained Hondas will drive into the 200-300,000 range without major problems, but I'd appreciate any experience.

The asking price reflects the high mileage, or so I believe.
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    Internet quote for a 2009 Odyssey EX - $24,237 with the MSRP of $30,125.

This price includes Honda's $670 destination charge and an additional $200 "fast start discount" which is valid until the end of March.

Can I do better, or is there any rebate/financing specials in the near future?

• promokspromoks Member Posts: 7
    I was offered 28750 for an EX-L with RES at the Buerkle Honda in Maplewood. Everyone else was higher in their quotes. The Luther's dealers were all the same price in their quotes.
  • peterzhupeterzhu Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I plan to buy an Odyssey EXL before October this year so I am not in a hurry. What is the best time to buy when I can get a good deal? Will the price increase in the summer?

Many thanks.
  • hodesseyhodessey Member Posts: 10
    I am getting $32500 (OTD) in Texas. do you think its a good deal. any one from DFW baught this specifications recently?
  • gilvergilver Member Posts: 5
    trying to get into a touring non pax, can you help me with dealer name and contact info. So I can get hopefully the same deal. thanks
  • an_han_h Member Posts: 2
    No accessories.

I paid 25,900 OTD

24,300 + 1200 tax + 400 other fees

This is in the Boston, MA area.
    No accessories.

I paid 25,900 OTD

24,300 + 1200 tax + 400 other fees

This is in the Boston, MA area.

May I ask if you had to "negotiate" aka haggle on that price, or was it a price you were quoted via the internet?

I was given a similar quote ($24,237) via the net for a 2009 EX - however the quote included the $200 "fast start" discount, & $670 destination fee.
  • an_han_h Member Posts: 2
    Yes I had to negotiate the price. The price I was given on their email quote was 24,700, they said they could give me a better offer in the showroom, however I was disappointed that it wasn't better than what we finally settled on.The price I quoted above 24,300 included the destination, however they did not quote a $200 fast start discount...
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think the $200 fast start discount is a March only discount (ends on the 31st of this month)...It's possible it may have been meant as a discount/incentive for specific areas throughout the USA; something you might wish to ask your dealer.
  • psrinivpsriniv Member Posts: 41
    are u in richmond, va

dealer is west broad