Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4WD systems explained

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Just as I suspected. 20 years ago, you would have been correct. Read the first three posts in this topic and join us in the 21st century.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Why are you here?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    and you are wrong on so many counts its impossible to keep track. Why don't you go over to 4x4ABC.com and do a little reading from someone who REALLY knows of what he is talking?
    I'm here because I tend to read and comprehend what I'm reading.

What is so wrong about reading the owner's manual these days? And if you don't understand the owner's manual or it isn't as complete as you might like then for Christ's sake go and buy the shop manual.

You're buying a $35k plus vehicle, $200 for the shop manuals is a mere drop in the bucket in comparison and might just save you thousands upon thousand of $$.
    How about telling us what cliffy is wrong about. Point by point please.

Thank you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's cut out this petty bickering and the personal insults! The topic is Toyota 4WD systems explained.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    I agree with pschreck. Please clarify yourself.

Thank you.
    not have this morning, but I will get to it.

In the meantime the stuff over at 4x4abc.com is good reading.
    4x4abc.com has no information that I can find on this type of system. Seems to be geared to traditional 4x4 systems or the ugly MB vehicles and Jeep junk. I didn't go over the whole site but a search turned up nothing on the NEW Toyota systems. I bought a Sequoia BECAUSE of it's 4x4 system, not in spite of it. If I want to go offroad I'll buy an OLD Land Crusier and fix up for such purposes. I used to 4wheel in a 75 CJ5 but I wouldn't touch a Jeep since Chrysler took them over.
    This site has some decent information on the Mercedes 4WD system. This system is nearly identical to the Active-Trac system on the Toyotas, again with the caveat that the Sequoia and 4Runner are selectable for 2WD operation.
    Good find on that site. It says exactly what I did about the various Toyota systems with a few exceptions. The author of that page is speaking in generic terms on "part time" systems, and his comments are correct for Toyota when discussing the Tacoma and Tundra, but not the Runner and Sequoia.

The author also claims the RAV4 is of the "system 2" AWD type, but I am 90% sure it is the "system 1" in that power is always sent front and rear, unlike the Honda CRV.

This site also does contradict his claims on the RX300. Thanks.
    Does anyone know of a 4WD dynamometer within reasonable driving range of Seattle?. I really would like to put an end to this useless dialog one way or another.

Hey guys, I agree, every thing I have seen and read says the RX300 is 50/50 front/rear torque distribution. The only fly in the ointment is the disparate final drive ratio in the front vs the rear and I don't have enough mechanical background/knowhow to know what that means.

But the bottom line is that neither my 2000 RX300 AWD (without the MB version of TRAC and VSC) nor my 2001 RX300 AWD, with VSC & TRAC, would/will drive the vehicle forward with the rear wheels firmly on the ground and the front wheels not. They both would "drive" the front wheels with the rears elevated.
    I refer you to 4x4abc.com and you follow my lead and then pretend you found something on your own!

Or else you didn't take much time to look at the very first ICON/path on the 4x4ABC home page. but then if not how did you get to the second one?

There are four ICONs on that page and in my opinion they are all worth "following" and reading.
    for the rant...

In the end it really doesn't matter you found and read what I intended anyway.
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    Come on guys lets get back to talking about stuff like trucks, Toyotas and 4 wheel drives before the host tagged this forum with a "READ ONLY" You know how quick with the button they are.
    I concur with rljslick - let's get back on topic!

Thanks!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bradfordl1bradfordl1 Member Posts: 18
    Ok........lets see if we are ready to talk "topic" again.........can any of you Seqouia owners check this one out for me? We were discussing this one before we "got lost".........If you are in 4wd and stop the truck, put the trans. in neutral and then the 4wd lever to 4wd "low" and finally the trans to "low".........does the center diff. instantly lock or does the inidicator light blink for awhile (lag time) Cliffy had said he thinks it locks as soon as torque is applied but "would not swear to it" Anybody with info.? Thanks!
    Good question. I've only locked mine once. I'll have to try it and let you know.
    But most differential locks are implemented with what is called a "dog-clutch" and those generally don't engage until the two sets of gear splines are in line. Many times that will mean you must move the vehicle sl--o--w---l---y forward or reverse in order for it to engage.

If you have larger circumference tires on the rear vs the front or vice versa then it might become VERY difficult to engage the lock, that's waht happened to my 92 Jeep when I replaced the rear tires and not the front.
  • sirfilesirfile Member Posts: 42
    Reading the continual diatribes and obvious misinformation offered by the 'dynamic-duo' referenced above, I am reminded of the following remark attributed to Groucho Marks:

"Why would I want to belong to an organization that would have someone like me as a member?"
    me with gimpyrx?

Now THAT really hurts, cuts to the core.

Have I ever blamed/criticized Lexus for something of my own fault? Even partially?
    wwest,

That's just sirfile's quirky way of wishing you and gimpyrx a happy and prosperous new year!

Happy New Year, everyone!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Yesterday my wife and I took our daughter and our three GRANDkids up to Snoqualmie Pass to play in the snow. Since there were seven of us I couldn't take the 2001 RX AWD so I borrowed the company's AWD Aerostar.

Driving into the upper parking lot at the summit became a challenge, one after another I watched as vehicles had to give up the "climb", back down and turn around.

A Dodge/Chrysler FWD minivan was first, almost made it but then lost traction and never regained it. Honda Odessey next, even less success. Toyota HL, couldn't tell the model, didn't even make it to mid-point. Aerostar not only did fine there but went all the way up to the third parking area.

Our youngest grandson soon got too cold and my wife and I returned with him to the car. My curosity got the best of me so I cruised the lower parking area until a parking spot opened up within sight of the bottom of the first incline.

Lots and lots of vehicles couldn't pull the incline, most of them recognizably FWD. Quite a few vehicles did make it but some that didn't were quite a surprise.

An 01 or 02 (VSC badge) RX AWD. He was clearly having trouble on the incline but he wasn't going to give up easily. I finally got out of our car and walked over to help by pushing and of course this made him just a little peeved. He finally had to give up and back down the incline.

It was clear that his rear wheels were "driving", but apparently not enough to be of any help. I thought that I could also hear the TRAC "thumping".

But the real surprise of the day was a late model 4runner that couldn't pull the incline. That driver was REALLY peeved. He even put in "low" range before he finally gave up.

Absolutely no one seemed to have any trouble (driving, walking is another story)within the snow and ice packed LEVEL parking areas.

The incline:

Maybe 5% or less, and about 25 yards, packed snow and ice with some gravel and sand. We arrived late in the day, around 2 PM, and I'm sure the incline had been sanded early that morning but by now there was clearly more slippery surface than otherwise.

It was so slippery in the center that you couldn't walk on it without falling and I watched several kids slid down the center of the incline in their ski boots.

Why did the Aerostar do so well, equipped with simple summer tires, over others that shouldn't have failed? I don't know enough to be really sure but I suspect it was the fact that the Aerostar is basically RWD, 30/70, and switches to 50/50 if the rear wheels begine to slip.

But why didn't the 4runner make it? The driver was using a conservative approach, not gunning it like most would.

I'm wondering if this new type of LSD, using the brakes for implementation, just isn't up to these types of challenges. The reports I keep hearing is if you aren't carrying enough forward momentum when you hit a slippery area then you dead in the (frozen) water.

Is there anyone out there with this type of experience with the ML?
    Tested the center diff lock this afternoon. After dropping the trans into low the diff light flashed until I applied torque and then it locked up almost instantly. I guess cliffy was right once again. Which reminds me, wasn't wwest going to give us a point by point clairification as to the reasons he believes that cliffy is "wrong on so many points"?
    "As soon as I applied torque" (and the gear spines rotated into a "matching/mating" position).

Yes, Cliffy WAS right.

I ordered the Sequoia owner's manual and shop manuals over the holidays, I want to be correct by Toyota's "standards". They could also be wrong, but I'll do my best.

That reminds me of an electrical engineer who once was asked, "how long after I apply the electrical power will the (LARGE) power supply capacitors be charged so the computer can command the machine bed movement?"

"Right away" was his instant, non-hesitating answer.

So the computer programmer wrote the control program to first, turn on the power, and then the next instuction, 200 nanoseconds later, commanded a machine movement.

At 60Hz it took about 300 milliseconds for the power supply capacitors to reach 90% of full charge. The engineer's answer was only off by a factor of 1,500,000 to 1.
    Thanks, I think we all needed that.
  • bradfordl1bradfordl1 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for taking the time to do that! All of my questions are now answered........forums like this are great! Thanks to cliffy as well...........
    wwest,

I don't understand why you bought the shop manuals for the Sequoia. I was under the impression that you DO NOT own a Sequoia. At any rate I may order them too. Could you please post the publication number and the phone number to facilitate ordering for others who also might like to order these manuals? Thank you.
    I just simply went to the Bellevue Toyota dealer's parts department and placed my order, prepaid and they will mail them to my office.

When someone asks a question on one of these threads that potentially has a safety aspect I will not guess at the answer. I think of buying the manuals not any different than buying any textbook, "book of knowledge".
    Don't those shop manuals cost about $120? You spent that kind of money so you could verify my statements on an Internet bulletin board? Wow. I guess I feel honored.

As to your story of the 5% incline, I too am curious. It is my experience that many drivers haven't a clue as to how to properly operate their vehicles in the snow. Momentum is everything when dealing with extremely slick surfaces as you described. It is quite possible that you were the only one to hit it at the proper speed to make it up.
    I was able to sit there and observe many drivers, and you're right, some of them clearly didn't have a clue. The approach to the incline wasn't such that you could reach it with very much momentum, it was a relatively narrow "cut" in the snowbank between the lower and the upper parking areas.

Over on CL GS thread there is lots of discussion about the need for a mechanical LSD in the GS430 vs the standard TRAC. On the GS series I have expressed my thoughts that the TRAC will always outperform a mechanical LSD. I have PSM on my AWD 911 and while I don't yet have very many miles on it I am pleased with the PSM so far.

But in listenting to some of the counter arguments I have begun to wonder if the electronic TRAC is really appropreate for an LSD replacement on an SUV.

I don't think I have EVER known of an SUV with an LSD on the front. It seems to me that the feedback to the steering wheel would be so severe as to maybe yank it from your grip (like a Jeep in part-time 4WD on dry pavemant). Lexus' has told me that the TRAC implementation on the RX is much more "moderate" than my 92 LS.

Maybe that's how they get around severe steering wheel feedback but I suspect that would also be pretty detrimenatl to AWD perfromance, especially if the RX always remains predominantly FWD biased, as I also suspect.
    Ever since my very first car I have always bought the shop manuals, not just so I could DIY,M, but os I could understand the designs and overall workings. When I bought my first Jeep, an 85, it turned out to be such a mish-mash of parts from various sources that I didn't pay much attention to the manual and I didn't buy one for the 92 Jeep.

So for all that time, 87 to 99, I never knew why the full-time mode of the 4WD Jeep system was virtually worthless. I knew that often in adverse conditions I always had to go to part-time (locked transfer case, center differential{?}).

I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of buying the Sequoia manuals if you hadn't said it uses the same TRAC system for LSD substitution as the RX. Obviously that manual might help me understand my RX.
    Well, the TRAC system is the same, but the effect is different due to the different types of center differentials. You would probably be better off with an RX shop manual. It would behave the same if you are talking about its effect only at the front or rear wheels, but the Sequoia manual will not enlighten you on the effect on the center differential.
    I have the shop manauls for my first RX, a 2000, and I have them on order for my 2001. The problem is that there is absolutely no information about how TRAC works or is supposed to work.

I have personally concluded, at least for the RX, that TRAC is only used right to left or vice versa. And maybe more moderatly in the front vs the rear due to the steering wheel feedback that would likely otherwise result.

Additionally, if TRAC were used to pro-actively allocate torque distribution front to rear then the longer time constant VC would be useless. However briefly, it needs a sustained disparate turning rate F/R in order to heat the viscous fluid and thus increase the coupling coefficient across the VC, itself across the center diff.

Both the RX and the HL have an open, free, center differential, actually all three diffs are of this type. Across the center diff is a Viscous clutch, coupling, which is supposed to limit the "freedom" of the center diff if its two outputs develop a disparate turning rate.

Becuase the RX never acts like an AWD, always "acts" more like a FWD than anything else, I have come to suspect the VC is there for marketing purposes only, it doesn't have enough "pre-load" to actually have any affect on drivability on LTS, Low Traction Surfaces.

I came to this conclusion after reading the implementation details of the Chrysler T&C AWD system.

Chrysler says that since the front wheels do 80% of the braking there cannot be a VC, at least not a "tight" one, between the front and rear during severe braking when the front wheels are likely to turn at a substantially slower rate than the rear. "Telegraphing" the slow front roll rate to the rear through a tight VC coupling, or a VC coupling that quickly tightens with disparate F/R roll rates, might brake the rear wheels to so great a level that the driver loses control of the vehicle.

So Chrysler's VC is bypassed by an over-running clutch so the rear wheels can over-run the front during severe braking.

But that's not all.

So that the T&C can remain an AWD in reverse gear when otherwise the over-running clutch would open the driveline to the rear, Chrysler adds a "dog-clutch" to lock the front and rear drivelines in reverse.

Now, this is Chrysler, CHEAP, inexpensive, shoddy designs, that has gone the extra mile to assure their customer's safety and provide a truly multi-mode AWD.

Now do you see why I suspect the RX's VC isn't really functional?
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    You mentioned ...."Becuase the RX never acts like an AWD, always "acts" more like a FWD than anything else, I have come to suspect the VC is there for marketing purposes only, it doesn't have enough "pre-load" to actually have any affect on drivability on LTS, Low Traction Surfaces."

I am with the impression that HL and RX (also RAV) has a center differential with 50/50 torque split and supplemented with VC (mild version?) to limit front to rear wheel speed difference. Torque is always distributed to all wheels at all times.

I believe Chrysler (and Volvo?)has no center differential, just VC to connect the front to rear axles. Torque here is fed to the front and if the front slips, the VC catches up and send some torque to the rear. Others has a VC substitute such as that of GM versatrac, MDX and CRV.

Just my $0.02.
    Can't speak for them.

But the T&C and the RX AWD setup is VERY simuliar.

Both have three open differentials, front, center, and rear. Absent the VC, what that means is that as long as all four wheels maintain something approximating equal traction the engine torque will be distributed accordingly. But if one wheel, or wheels, begin to slip, then ALL available traction will be routed to the wheel or wheels with LEAST traction.

The T&C shop manual is very explicit and detailed even including a good theory of operation and some cause and effect, and even some engineering background regarding implementation decisions.

The RX shop manuals, on the other hand, seem to be written as secretively as is Lexus "HELPS" about the overall operation of their system.

So the Chrysler first.

The Chrysler's VC is placed in series with the rear driveline. Chrysler says that its initial pre-load, which determines the VC's coupling coefficient in latent (no wheelspin) mode, is high enough that during severe or even moderate braking it might "telegraph" the slower turning heavier braking duty front wheel's rotational rate to the rear wheels, defeating the ABS at the rear which might lead to rear wheel lockup and loss of control.

Obviously things would quickly get out of hand with sustained severe braking, say on a ice covered slippery roadbed, when the VC reacts by further increasing the coupling coefficient.

So Chrysler has placed an over-running clutch around the VC so that the rear wheels can freely over-run the fronts in these situations.

Given the dearth of detailed information about the RX AWD setup some of what I say about it is something more of a guess than actual knowledge.

What I finally did was enlarge the pictorial from the RX shop manual of the "transfer" gearing in the area where torque is split front to rear. I'm sure I can state as factual the issue of an open differential for basic F/R torque split.

What remains somewhat fuzzy to me and others is the placement of the VC in this mix. Several mechanical (but with no automotive experience or background)engineers believe the VC is mechanically coupled ACROSS the center differential and others think it is more like the T&C. It is clear to me that the answer cannot be readily determined From the enlarged drawings and Lexus refuses, so far, to clarify the issue.

Regardless it is clear to all that there is no over-running clutch. The only conclusion one can derive from this is that the RX's VC never reaches a high enough coupling coefficient to affect the need for ABS at the rear. Either that or Lexus doesn't care about our safety and I can't, will not, given the evidenceto the contrary below, accept that as an explanation.

Shade-tree testing. Done on both a 2000 AWD RX and a 2001 AWD RX with VSC and TRAC.

With the rear wheels off the ground on a roller jack and the front wheels chocked against forward movement and the transmission in drive and the engine RPM increasing slowly and carefully the rear wheels would spin freely and the front wheels would rise higher on the chocks as engine RPM rose. I was too scared (timid?) to get much above engine idle, didn't even reach 1000 RPM in this testing mode.

In the opposite configuration, rear wheels chocked, etc, I could raise the engine RPM all the way to 2000 with no perceptible effort by the rear wheels to climb the chocks, and the front sspinning rapidly.

Then:

With all four wheels elevated.

First I blocked the rear wheels from turning with 1x2" strips of light duty lumber, allowing the fronts to turn freely. In drive mode with RPM as high as 2000 you could hear the wood being stressed but no breakage.

In the opposite configuration the 1X2" strip blocking the left front broke just as soon as I raised the throttle above idle.

As far as I could tell TRAC was never activated and certainly there was no indication of same. I could cause VSC to come alive by turning the steering wheel off-center as I raised the engine RPM.

Then New Year's day I watched an AWD RX with VSC fail to climb a 25 yard 5% incline of packed snow and ice that my AWD Aerostar had no trouble at all getting up. I also watched as a new 4runner failed to get up this slope.

To be fair most of the vehicles that tried didn't make the grade, maybe only about 10% did. When I offered to help the 4runner driver by "pushing" (manually) he seemed to get fairly peeved. He even tried it in low range with no success.

Come to your own conclusions.
    A viscous coupling is by definition a limited slip. Go to the following link for a complete explanation of how a VC works.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential7.htm

Has two design, manufacturing parameters, that are important to us.

Initial coupling coefficient is determined by latent, non-heated, viscosity and apparently this parameter is most often "set" by controlling the "size" of an air bubble within the hermetically sealed VC assembly. Until this air bubble is completely compressed, virtually non-existant, the increasing VC fluid volume within the chamber due to increasing temperature will not result in an increase in the coupling coefficient.

The second parameter has to do with the formulation of the fluid, how fast will the fluid's volume increase with rising temperature. The faster the fluid "expands" with rising temperature the higher is the "rate of attack" of the VC.

It appears to me that the RX's VC chamber may be filled with air and not much else.
    Are you sure the fluid doesn't simply thicken? Why do you say it expands?
    You mentioned this about RX: "With the rear wheels off the ground on a roller jack and the front wheels chocked against forward movement and the transmission in drive and the engine RPM increasing slowly and carefully the rear wheels would spin freely and the front wheels would rise higher on the chocks as engine RPM rose. I was too scared (timid?) to get much above engine idle, didn't even reach 1000 RPM in this testing mode."

With the rear wheels spinning freely and the front not slipping, it indicates that it has a center differential. Otherwise, if it is just plain VC it would require the front to slip first before the rear starts spinning.

Your subsequent experiment would indicate that the VC on the RX's center diff biassed to one direction.

Here's an interesting and really informative article but a bit dated.

http://www.eskimo.com/~eliot/awd.html

Happy reading.

http://www.eskimo.com/~eliot/vc3.gif

I hope I am not irritating you.

In the beginning we were all taught that fluids become more thin, viscosity lowers, with increases in the fluid temperature, and vice versa.

So when the VC was announced some years ago that seemingly relied on fluids acting inverse to this law I was taken by surprise. But in the end I figured that some scientist had figured out a formulation to create this affect, increasing viscosity with increasing temperature.

Now I can't say for sure that the above revelation was wrong, but after recently reading a fair amount about VC implementation and design I have come to believe that VCs actually operate in the following way.

The two sets of clutch plates and the viscous fluid are placed in a fixed volume sealed chamber. The fluid, silicon normally, is specially formulated to dramatically increase its volume (all{?}fluids expand with temperature) with just slight increases in temperature.

So, what we have is a VC wherein the viscous fluid "effectively" increases it viscosity but what is actually happening is the fluid "pressure" within the chamber is what is actually doing the work, increasing the coupling coefficient between the two sets of clutch plates.

Really only a guess based on the way manufacturers control the actions of a VC, air bubble, etc.
    drmp

Not at all, I need all the help, input, I can get.

As I said the RX has an open, free, center differential, just like the front and the rear. The center differential seems to be configured very much like the pictorial you linked.

Except some of us think the VC is mechnanically mounted ACROSS this center differential, coupling its two outputs, thus limiting its "freedom" if the wheels if either output begin to slip. Others of us think the VC is simply in series with the center differential's output to the rear driveline, just like the T&C.

Even enlarged, the RX's pictorial representation can be readily interpreted, argued, either way.

In any case it is pretty clear to me, based on my testing, that the RX AWD, even with the VC fully "activated", remains primarily FWD torque biased. But none of us have been able to determine, from the information available, how this torque bias to the front is accomplished.
    I remember it was mentioned before that there are the cheap kind of VC and the more expensive kind. I think the cheap one was used by Talon/eclipse to supplement the center diff. It has a TRANSIENT "hump" on it's torque curve corresponding to fluid heat expansion that pushes the discs to touch one another. This was reported to have inconsistent locking effect.

The more expensive one have more numerous discs and rely primarily on "viscous drag" for locking effect.
    wwest,

I think the increased viscosity with temperature doesn't have much to do with the pressure, though it's a good guess!

It was discovered that the behavior of a viscous fluid can be the reverse of what is expected (newtonian fluids) by the addition of certain polymers to the fluid. I think it has to do with the unraveling or stretching of the polymer molecules as the fluid is warmed.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    We should be getting snow today. Can't wait to try out the Sequoia 4wd system. Hoping the stock tires are up to it. I don't think they'll be any real problem as all the other snow perfomance reports I've read have been glowing.
    tidestar:

Just what I believed until I ran across the actual VC manufacturing process. They actually do control its performance "on-set" by injecting an "air-bubble" of a specific size depending on the level of coupling coefficient they want vs increases in temperature.

Perhaps there is more than one way to skin a cat.
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    Is there a site that explains what the fluid really does when it heats up;thickens or expands?Who makes it? Does it need to be replaced due to breakdown?Can the injectd air bubble be changed to "tune" the VC?I guess the question really is what does this fluid really do when heated.My knowledge of chemistry is basic but I think that I could understand a paper on the subject.
    Yes, it can fail but the only thing I have seen on the subject is in the 911 AWD owner's manual, it says as little as twenty seconds of uncorrectable wheelspin and its VC is toast.

I have considered finding someone to "re-build" the VC in my RX so it does a better job of reacting to wheelspin and more quickly and firmly distributes the torque. But in the interests of safety, my own, that would likely require that I add an over-running clutch like the Chrysler T&C.

So I guess I will, for the moment, live with an RX300 AWD that isn't.