Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tailspin74tailspin74 Member Posts: 4
    Took delivery this morning. Price paid was $33,535 +TTL. Purchased from Muller Honda in Highland Park, IL. The whole process was quick and straightforward. From the time I walked in until I drove away was 45 minutes. They had 90 Oddysseys on the lot (89 now).

On a side note. This is my first Honda and first minivan. I am impressed that this $33k minivan is better thought out in terms of family needs much better then my $70k Merc GL. Fit and finish are excellent.
  • atrajanatrajan Member Posts: 27
    that is a very good price Jag999.

The best i have received so far is $33600 OTD for EXL/Res& NAV. This is in NJ
  • vamcvamc Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,
    I would like to thank all the forum members for your insights. Armed with your insights and advice, I purchased a Odyssey EX for 26,762 (OTD). Here are the details
    :23,700 (Price)+595 (Pro Pac)+690(destination fees)+1,777 (TTL)

I hope this is the good deal.

But the buying was an experience by itself (“experience” is an understatement for what we went through!!)

Getting Quotes:
    Step 1: I went to a local Honda dealer to look at the 2009 model. Zeroed on EX for the features and the price range. The dealer quoted $24,700+TTL for the basic model of EX
    Step2: I used kbb.com to get quotes from 6 dealers in the Houston area. 4 quotes I received varied from 24,300 – 25,500. The remaining 2 sent mails and called me to understand more. I told both of them that I have quotes for $24,000 and asked them to match.
    Step3: One of the dealers came with 23,700 for the EX model. I got the email confirmation (you will understand the importance of this later!) saying they will honor this price.
    Dealer Visit:
    I visited the dealer who quoted the lowest with the printout of the email he sent. That where the story starts!

The sales person went outside and got us a car to test drive. We couldn’t find the Odyssey in the lot. He dropped the Bomb saying the quote was for a Honda CRV (imagine the shock I would have gone through!!). We told him clearly that our email communication reflected Odyssey and I am not stupid to buy a CRV for $23,700.

He called us inside for negotiations. He said that there was a miscommunication and he responded with the CRV quote. I literally lost my cool and started yelling at the unprofessional matter of the dealership and the way he is treating us. He warned me not to shout as it was an honest mistake and miscommunication. I told him that (showing the printout of the email) that this is clear cheating and no where in the mail CRV was mentioned and the word “Odyssey” was mentioned in our communication.

We asked to speak to his manager. This sales guy wanted to kick us out with out meeting the manager. We were adamant on meeting the manager.
    The manager came in few mins and tried to say that it was a miscommunication. We took him through the emails and said which part of this is miscommunication. My friend and I told him that we want to escalate it to Honda and the dealership owner as well as the BBB.

In their usual tactic, they went in and came back saying they will honor the price + cost of any accessories. We also got a new sales person on request (this guy was unbelievably nice and professional)

Anyways, though it left a bad taste in the mouth, we liked the car and the price. We drove home tonight in our new Odyssey!
  • vamcvamc Member Posts: 5
    I got the Honda Care package for 6 yrs/60k miles. Is this any good ? I was told that there are many mechanical and electrical parts so it might be useful. I would love to get your opinion on the usefulness of this warranty.

Appreciate your help.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    This is called BAIT & SWITCH and usually works in high percentage. You are the one exception staying inside the same game. Once you switched to other offer, then you are hooked.

They give you a lower than usual price (will lose money about $500) and you rush to the dealership since this is the cheapest you can find, then with all kinds of excuses from their tricky-bags, they try to switch you to another deal with offers that guarrantee they make profits, of course not the original lower than usual price.

Is this cheating, honest mistake (they are doing the same thing daily), gimmicks or sales technique, you make the call...

If it happens the lowest price and ready to go down the dealership, you need them to fax or email you the VIN#, stock #, MSRP, model/trim the car you were offered so the only excuse will be it was sold before your arrival. To stop this give them a small credit card deposit to hold the car for your arrival.
  • jeremyazjeremyaz Member Posts: 39
    I am looking for an Odyssey with RES and almost all of the bells and whistles and am comparing loading up an EXL with just getting the Touring. In essence, I don't need the NAV but am unsure of what is used for the rear backup camera in its place?

Also, if I was able to get everything except NAV in a fully loaded EXL the difference should be $2k or so. Do you think that the EXL would hold its $2k difference on resale value as compared to the Touring?

Anybody out there get the EXL loaded without the NAV and like it? Recommendations and purchase price (pre-tax) would be greatly appreciated.
  • kneehowmakneehowma Member Posts: 17
    Hi vamc, that's pretty good price for Houston. I am also shopping for an Odyssey EX in Houston area. So far best OTD is $26400. I'm not sure what's Pro-Pac, so I can't comment on that. Do you mind sharing the buying experience privately. Please email traderjoe1854 AT yahoo.com. I can give you my phone number as well.

Also for [m35obsessed] or anyone who is buying Odyssey in Houston area, please feel free to contact me, so maybe we can go into dealership together. If we can put our purchase power together, maybe we can get a better deal. From what I have seen, Houston area dealer is doing well so deal isn't as great. Thanks.
  • madurbsmadurbs Member Posts: 19
    Most posts are about new pricing. Here is a reference for a used in case anyone is interested:
    I purchased:
    06 EX-L 32,500 miles not certified
    $17,999 + TTL from Chicago area Honda Dealer.
    One owner, serviced at purchase dealer. I was able to see all service records.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Is there any Tax rebates (while filing tax returns) if we buy a new Odyssey as part of stimulus plan from Govt? I heard something like this but not sure if it still exists?

If it is, what kind of benifit we can cliam?

Thanks,
  • 93139029313902 Member Posts: 4
    I got an internet quote from Joliet Honda for $30,900 about two weeks ago and a quote from Schaumburg Honda for $30,789 if this helps at all. I don't live in the area anymore so I didn't try to negotiate these down. They were helpful in my purchase though.
  • olavanmanolavanman Member Posts: 12
    Hello!
    Wow thatz a great price!
    I am getting through Costco 31999 for EX-L with RES. You think I should bargain more?
    I am in Denver.
  • olavanmanolavanman Member Posts: 12
    Hello!
    Wow thatz a great price!
    I am getting through Costco to a Dealer and they are quoting $31999 for EX-L with RES. I am in Denver.

Any one with prices in Denver for EX-L, EX-L with RES and EX-L with RES/NAVI?
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    I received a better deal than that at Honda on Grand. Details can be found in earlier posts. Our sales person was Danny E. and he has been great. Tell him Tony L. sent you.
  • lobsterpickerlobsterpicker Member Posts: 1
    would you give me the name of the dealer.
    Thanks
  • new_beenew_bee Member Posts: 6
    Hi Mentat,

Try to find her name over the internet

Could not find it

Can you pls give me her email?

tks

New Bee
  • indyman05indyman05 Member Posts: 1
    Royalvball,

I am also from Indianapolis area looking for a 09 EX.. Can you let me know who the dealer is ? Nobody so far seems to come near the pricing you have mentioned. Also did you do a trade-in ? Just checking if that brought down the price.
    Also, What is the TMV for 09 LX in and around Indy area ? Everybody seems to quote around 24K OTD.
  • wenhqwenhq Member Posts: 14
    Wow, looks like the Boston area has the best deal. I got my EX-L with RES for $28000 a week ago (at lease 2 dealerships had the price). I saw someone else in the previous post got EX-L for $26900 in Boston area. All prices included destination.
  • jimr5jimr5 Member Posts: 1
    Just closed a deal on a 2009 Odyssey EX-L with Navigation and rear entertainment. Price was 30,222.56 plus tax/title/documentation. Total out the door was 32,403.60. Did it all over e-mail & phone (started with a quote request to 9 dealerships through Edmunds). Dealership is Matt Castrucci in Dayton, OH. Had several other dealerships in the Dayton/Cincinnati in the same ballpark, but about four others had prices about 1200-1500 higher and refused to go this low. I'm very happy with this price. Roughly 20% below sticker and 10% below invoice. Out the door price is $800 less than I paid for my top-end 2005 Accord Hybrid 5 years ago!
  • robflahrobflah Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all for the excellent posts. Really helped short cut my research.

Over the last 10 days, I've reached out to about 20 dealers for a 2009 EX-L w/ RES & Navi and let them all know I'd be buying within 10 days / week, that I was flexible on color and that I was seeking best price. I was not interested in the extra values (oil changes, tire swap overs etc.) as it is not practical for me to get my car serviced @ a Honda Dealership.

About 1/3 of the dealers either never responded or responded with wrong vehicle info. My own local dealer, that by my physical inventory, had 26 EX-L w/ RES & Navi vehicles on the lot, took over 72 hours to get back (after multiple calls & emails). Shockingly, they held firm to a $32k price despite knowing everyone else was $1500 below them....That explains the 26 vehicles that have been sitting there for at least the last 2 months.

I dealt with dealers in NY (Adirondacks), VT, Southern NH, Western MA and the Boston area. At least 8 of the dealers essentially came back with offers in the $30,499 to $30,800 range. On top of that were the Admin & Doc fees - which ranged from $149 to $399 - the majority were $299. One dealer told me that his actual cost was about $30,250 and he was selling for $30,500 just to do a favor for one of his sales guys.

If you have a trade, that is where you should expect to get squeezed. My experience is that nearly all dealers will be at least $2,000 below what KBB says for Trade-In value...However, hold firm as there are many perks / SPIFs that are not in the holdback or other forms of revenue to the dealer.

I did discover that some of the special incentives were direct from Honda to the dealer for certain models. For example, on top of the $2500 Odyssey Dealer incentive, Honda runs other bonus programs. Late in 2008, there was a SPIF program for the Ridgeline - for every Ridgeline sold, there was a $750 SPIF. Hit 100% of the dealership goal, and there was another SPIF. Hit 110%, a higher SPIF.....The current SPIF, direct from Honda (I'm told it's direct), is $250 for every Accord.

As many prior posters have stated - send your emails out to the dealers, let the dealers know your best price / target and that your shopping, get commitments as to what's in the price & then get VINs before you go in. Nearly every dealer I found to be above board with little to no gaming or BS. They all want to make deals and they know that the market is highly competitive.

Good luck
  • kneehowmakneehowma Member Posts: 17
    The only tax incentive is that you can count the state/local sales tax of the vehicle as deduction on your Federal tax return for 2009. If you are in states that didn't have state income tax, like Nevada/Texas/Alaska, then this isn't so much new tax incentive since sales tax was deductible for the past two (three?) years already.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Thank you for the response Kneehowma
    Good to know the extra bonus program, SPIF. That explain why they can deal lower than invoice minus regular Honda to dealer incentive (marketing support).
  • hodesseyhodessey Member Posts: 10
    Thank you all for your valuable information.

I have purchaged 2009 Honda odyssey EX-L RES/NAV after 1month of research and valuable information you have provided in these posts.

Final Price($30450 + TTL) = $32600 (DO)

This included following add-ons

1. Splash Guards
    2. Trunck Tray
    3. Wheel Locks
    4. Door Guards
    5. Moon Roof visor
    6. Pinstrips

:)
  • rsk2rsk2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm just about to buy an exl at $27,200, you got a great deal, who was the dealer?
  • ekw540ekw540 Member Posts: 3
    It was Bernadi in Natick. The sales person was pretty reasonable and friendly. It was not the same person as I was commuicating over the Internet but they were very professional. You can PM me and I can give you the name of the person I dealt with if you are interested.
  • gbcbdgbcbd Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted 29651 (before tax) w/ no downpayment. 459/mo 36mos12K/yr
    Taxes, title, DMV fees 2620 due at signing (Tax rate is about 8.4%). Is this a good deal? :confuse:
    I'm out of my league here, so any thoughts would be appreciated!
    bgcbd
  • jake2009jake2009 Member Posts: 1
    Can you let me know which dealer in DFW you got this deal from?

Any help with contacts would be appreciated.
  • kfinnerty19kfinnerty19 Member Posts: 1
    just leased in Phoenix. sticker price was over $41K. negotiated price was $33K. $6K down payment at signing, $536/month; 36 month; 12K miles/year. MF 2.5 (0.0025). down applied to inception, license, docking, tax and acquisition fee ($595).

sounded like a good deal to me. didn't see a lot here on the touring model, but we wanted fully loaded, and we are glad we got it. this was a switch from an acura RL. i was really surprised that the touring model had all the high-end features of the RL and then some. any thoughts on the deal are appreciated.
  • hodesseyhodessey Member Posts: 10
    Mc David Honda
  • cc8cc8 Member Posts: 8
    I live in the CA Bay Area. From this forum, I've gathered that a decent price for an EX-L with DVD and Navi is $30K, which jumps to $35,098 OTD (with taxes and everything).

Has anyone in the Bay Area secured anything lower/for a better price?

I am trading in a car, which today was appraised at $5,100 (2002 BMW 325i with 112K miles)

So my net effective when all is said and done would be: $29,998 with trade in ($35,098 OTD w/o trade in)

Does this sound good? The price seems high to me. I was hoping to find something $30,800 OTD (meaning target price + T&L), which would drop to $25,700 when you factor in the trade in value.

Would appreciate any feedback. FWIW, these quotes are from Andersen Honda in Palo Alto.

This seems pretty high to me. Anyone else in the Bay Area secure a better price?
  • royalvballroyalvball Member Posts: 4
    $30,145 - just included destination (ttl would have been another $2000)
  • royalvballroyalvball Member Posts: 4
    Indy Honda on the south side is where I bought although Terry Lee Honda in Avon were the most aggressive to make a deal (both internet sales were great to work with). Ed Martin Honda I hear likes to deal as well (didn't have time to contact them). Tom Wood in Anderson says they can beat anyones price by ~$200 or so if they have it in stock. We bought our 01 civic from them. Penske - wouldn't match my offer of 26,150. When I went in the night before I offered 26k, they kind of laughed at me and didn't even counter offer (salesman was really nice just said that they sold 27 cars on saturday so I guess probably didn't need the extra sale - 26.8k was the lowest they were willing to do - I didn't have any paperwork or quotes with me when I said 26k - just what other people had paid on this forum) Try when it is the end of the month (last day if you can), some dealerships need a few sales and will do about anything. I had no trade in. I drive a 1992 honda accord w/ 173k miles that I will be selling for $1300 or so. I would probably have gotten $200 for trade :D Just shop around the 465 horn until you get the price you want. I think anything less than 26.5k is a good deal, less than 26.2k a great deal.
    Seems like the purchase price is good but you had a lot of out of pocket $$ that you put down. I would venture that you actually had a $3-4k or more cap cost reduction in the deal. In AZ, you only pay taxes on the portion of the lease....so if your residual was $20k, you would pay approx 8% on $13k divided by 36 months (call it $30/mth added to price or $1040).

When I lease, I try to put out the least upfront money as possible. Just my .02 cents.
  • odysseymamaodysseymama Member Posts: 4
    OTD price $29,963 is great in Raleigh, NC area. Would you mind breaking down your price here? Thanks a lot.
    jag999, would you mind share the salesman's name at Sheehy Honda for your EX-L w/ RES?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Why is there such a BIG difference in prices for an Odyssey? :confuse:

Best price in this area for a 2009 Ody EX-L is $ 28,105 before TTL...however, most dealers here NEVER did charge above MSRP in the past.
    Where are you at? Are you talking about EX-L RES? :confuse:
  • cheapcharliecheapcharlie Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy an '09 LX soon. Anyone know the dealers to go to or to avoid in the Milwaukee area?

In December '08 I was quoted a new '08 LX at $20,000 +TTL at Boyland and last month I was quoted $21,500 +TTL for a new '09 at Schlossmann's Honda City.

Thanks!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    2009 Odyssey EX-L.

It is NOT a more expensive EX-L-RES nor does the EX-L have any extra options.
    You can try 27,500 (incl dest) on plain EXL with no add'l options.
  • cc8cc8 Member Posts: 8
    The dealer I'm working with just came back to me with the below (I am in CA) - I think this is pretty good but wanted everyone's thoughts:

EX-L + DVD + Navigation
    Base Price == $27,900
    OTD =======$30,911

Trading in a 2002 325i === value assessed at $5100 (I am going to see if they can do better on the trade in deal).

So net effective cost to me is $30,911 - 5,100 == $25,811

Thoughts???
    CC8,
    What constitutes OTD? Is your OTD prior to taxes or does it include taxes? If you are getting $27,900 for EXL, RES and NAV then you are about $2400 better than any other poster to this point (I've seen $30,455 posted 22103). Let me know as I am looking at the EXL with RES and maybe NAV if the deal is there. Thanks,
    Are you sure, which dealer did you get this deal? The 2009 EXL w/Nav & Res MSRP is 37,625.00 (incl dest)
  • cthalaimcthalaim Member Posts: 12
    i bought my 09 lx on end of feb'09..refer the below post for price details..if 21,500 includes destn fee then it's almost same as mine..but i think still you can try..

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee93eaa/21739!keywords=#21739
  • pov55441pov55441 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Car Man and Forum Readers. I plan on leasing a new EX in the next 2-3 months in the Minneapolis area. I would like to add on RES and rear back-up sensors, but I don't know what those two add-ons would do to my cost. Can anyone please help me with an estimate as well as monthly payment?!? I also have perfect credit and will put $0 down, 12K, and 36mo.

On a related note, we are about to turn in an EXL so I know that the leather is another option. Bottom line, we don't need the leather and are hopefully looking to save a few bucks by just going with the EX. THANK YOU so much!!
  • SkyscraperSkyscraper Member Posts: 2
    Thats the Great Deal, EX-L with RED and navigation for $27900 base price. Would you mind sharing the dealer name please.
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    I too live in the Milwaukee area, & I'm looking into an Odyssey...Schlossmann's offered me the best internet price on an EX at $24237 which is good until April 30th.
  • vee927vee927 Member Posts: 11
    2009 Honda Odyssey
    EX-L R+N
    Selling Price: $30050.00
    7% NJ Tax: $2102.30
    Doc: $199
    Dmv: $354 [Based on financing]
    NJ Tire Tax: $7.50

Total: $32703.30

Can I do better then this in NJ
    I have $500 deposit on the car they have to locate the color I need.

Thank you for your help I could not have done this with you guys on this.
  • atrajanatrajan Member Posts: 27
    Vee927,

that is an excellent price. At least $1000 less than what i received. Will you be able to share the dealership name? I am also in NJ.

thanks,
    rajan
  • billyflamingobillyflamingo Member Posts: 1
    i got an ex-l from lisle honda for 29,560 out the door (including 7.25 tax and new plates) - i think the price before TTL was 27,100