Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT

Comments

• dtran2149dtran2149 Posts: 81
    Question: Can you fit a normal size child seat in the TT Coupe? I have test driven the TT a while back and remember being unable to put an infant style child seat in the back reasonably. But will the more toddler type, normal seat fit? If I am unable to get an RX-8 or G35 Coupe, a pre-owned TT (even with reliability concerns!) may be a good value at current prices and allow me to take my son to daycare (only 3 miles to and from work).

I currently have a 99 Audi A4 1.8T and it would be a small upgrade!
  • I'm probably just one opinion on this, but I don't believe you should have a car seat in a sports car!
  • Audi unloads '02s
    Presto-chango! Spiffs of up to $4,000 change new cars to old

By Arlena Sawyers
    Automotive News / March 23, 2003

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

Advertisement

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

The Audi program

Runs through April

About 700 untitled new 2002 cars and 300 to 400 service loaner cars available

Half of vehicles are Audi TTs

Dealer incentives of nearly $4,000 per vehicle

Consumer rates as low as 1.9%

In an effort to clear dealer lots of unsold new 2002 models, Audi of America is encouraging its dealers to put the cars in their certified pre-owned inventory and sell them as used vehicles.

On March 1, Audi had a 100-day supply of new vehicles, up from an 85-day supply on Feb 1.

About 1,000 to 1,100 cars are available under the program - 700 new 2002 cars in dealer inventory and 300 to 400 retired loaner cars.

Russ Hill, Audi national sales director, says about half of the vehicles are Audi TT sports cars, which had sales of 1,225 through February 2003 vs. 1,351 through the year-ago period.

The company is paying dealer incentives of up to nearly $4,000 for each 2002 untitled car and retired service department loaner car sold under Audi's Certified Pre-Owned Executive car program. Audi had been offering $1,000 dealer incentives on some of its 2002 models.

Hill says the program's purpose is to give dealers an innovative way to clear out their 2002 models, snag more certified used-vehicle sales and help dealers price the 2002 vehicles below their new 2003 counterparts.

"A 2002 has a year's depreciation, and it's not even sold," Hill says. "Unless you want to distress-merchandise it, you have to come up with a way to make both (the 2002 and 2003) attractive."

Audi reports the cars as new retail sales once they are taken out of a dealer's new-car fleet for certification.

The cars are covered by the company's standard four-year/50,000 mile new-car warranty plus the limited certified used-car warranty that extends the coverage to six years/100,000 miles.

Money makes it work

Incentives can total $3,950:

Hill says the company usually charges dealers about $900 per vehicle to cover the certified warranty. Under the program, that cost has been cut in half, saving $450.

The company also is offering an incentive of up to $2,500 per vehicle, depending on the model.

Dealers whose customers finance the vehicles through Audi Financial Services earn an additional $1,000.

The captive finance company is offering special finance rates as low as 1.9 percent to consumers who purchase the vehicles.

If the program, which runs through April, is successful, Hill says it is likely the company will use it every year to clear out carryover inventory. "Our (certified sales) growth is up about 35 percent over (the same period) last year," Hill says.

"We wanted to find out what are the advantages and to catch that growth wave. It's a wonderful time to test the concept to see if we want to do it in the future."

Wayne Williams, owner of Williams Auto World (Volkswagen-Audi-Subaru) in Lansing, Mich., says he had one 2002 model in his inventory, a TT convertible.

After learning about the program, he placed the vehicle in his service loaner fleet.

A customer who drove the vehicle as a loaner shortly afterward purchased it as certified used vehicle.

Williams says the program enables dealers to make a gross profit of $1,500 to $2,000 on a TT compared to the $2,000 to $2,500 a dealer would normally make on the sale of a new car.

Complicated program

He says he can live with that because Audi is doing what it can to help dealers merchandise a year-old car.

His only complaint, he says, is that the program has too many components and is complicated.

"Most Audi dealers are multiple line dealers, and it's hard to keep track of all of these programs," says Williams, who expects to retail 50 to 60 certified used and 140 to 150 new Audi cars this year.

Read more about...
    Audi starts year weaker, growth seen in China
    Audi 2002 pre-tax profit slips
    NAMAD threatens Audi, Chrysler boycott
    Audi invests $8 million in A4 advertising campaign
  • pilotzspilotzs Posts: 1
    Was interested in any opinions on issues with the Neiman Marcus Edition. It has around 7500 miles...low mile car. Looks in great condition etc. Didn't know if there were maintenance issues with the 2000 cars, etc or with these special editions. Any comments and advice welcome. Thanks in advance. Might look at a 2001 Quattro also, but the 2000 is more affordable for me.
  • I am looking possibly getting this 00 TT, it has a lot of miles, but it is in pretty good condition, only one owner. Warranty is included in the price 17,200 , I drove the car, seems fine to me, it was a little loud, well I could hear the engine running, even after it's been running for awhile.

I told the dealer and he had the car looked at and said that, it's fine, and that the car sounds like that, is that the case?
  • derekchoyderekchoy Posts: 36
    Yes, it's normal to hear the engine sound, actually, I quite like that deep, low growl. It's a sports car after all, can't expect it to be as quiet as a Lexus!

Good luck. I love my 01 TT Conv a lot!
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    What's the point in putting a heavier 6 cylinder in the TT? My "chipped" quattro roadster makes about the same HP and torque but weighs significantly less. Why didn't Audi just upgrade the 1.8T's power and suspension/brakes to retain the lighter weight? While the increased power of the 6 is welcome, the increased weight hurts handling and braking (relative to a similarly upgraded 1.8T).

I guess it's because all the competition has 6's...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,882
    unfortunately it probably is because most of the competition does offer some form of 6 cyl engine. The TTs (plural) haven't exactly been flying off dealer's lots lately. The easiest fix for something like that is for a Mfr. to broaden the car's appeal is to add an upgraded motor and an automatic transmission (I think DSG is very cool, highly advanced and is much different from a conventional slushbox/tiptronic, but at the end of the day it is still an automatic which most Americans prefer). Unfortunately (most) Americans still prefer low-end torque and would take it over a better weight distribution and turbo-lag. I have to say though that every auto mag loves the TTV6 and said nothing to the effect of having the weight distribution thrown off (your mileage may vary:)

I know the TT is not for everybody, but they've still got to sell them. I'd hate to see a car whose breakthrough styling has caused so many other automakers to copy (read Lexus SC430 & Nissan 350Z just to name 2) be discontinued.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I agree with all that you've said. However, if Audi felt compelled to put a 6 in the TT, why didn't they really make it something special--like 6 cylinders AND turbo? That would have been awesome and I probably would have traded for one.

From all I've read about the new transmission, it sounds fantastic. As much as I like rowing through the gears manually, this new tranny is so slick that I might actually try one.

The TT truly was a ground-breaking car when it came out. I still wonder why they didn't start out with the 6 however...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,882
    Why no turbo with the V6? Personally I'd have loved to see the Bi-Turbo V6 from the original S4 show up too. I guess they just wanted less complications. The current narrow angle 3.2L VR6 fits right into the engine bay as we know it from the Jetta and GTI iterations of the platform. It seems they developed the DSG transmission to work with this particular motor. Just a thought.

As to why they didn't offer the V6 in the first place. You answered your own question in your original post. Weight distribution. The sheer beauty of the TT sold it for the first year or so. They could have offered it with the VW 2.0L 4 banger and people would've bought it. They figured 2 1.8T engines along with different FWD & AWD setups with Coupe & roadster were all the market would take.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I agree. I love my TT, but a 6 cylinder twin turbo would make it perfect (or a 500 lb weight reduction, but that's another argument altogether).

On the off chance that there are any Audi execs reading this: You guys should think about giving your cars competitive power when they are introduced--years later just doesn't cut it!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,623
    Do you think the chassis is really up to a TT V-6? Seems like they'd have to rework the car underneath as well.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Not that I believe everything the car mags say, but they all seem to agree that the chassis is up to the task. As I said earlier, my chipped TT has about the same power as the V-6 and I haven't noticed any problems. The new V-6 model features upgraded brakes and suspension mods as well. I think the rigid chassis and AWD make the TT an ideal platform for the V-6. I'm hoping they'll build a turbo V-6 next!
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I think putting a turbo 6-banger would significantly change the positioning of the TT, something Audi may be afraid to do at this point. Such a car would suddenly find itself in the realm of such cars as the BMW M3 or CLK500, or comparable niche-wise to the Japanese supercars of the 90s (Supra TT, 3000GT VR4, 300ZX): the realm of the heavy, expensive, powerful coupe. Suddenly the TT (which stands alone in a unique niche) would find itself being lambasted by the press for being soft compared to the M3, or being low-prestige compared to the Benz, or being unelegant compared to a Lexus SC, or something similarly silly. And yet, that would be the case.

Give an Audi TT that kind of power and either Audi would have to hold the line on price (resulting in the perception of the TT being a "Bargain" rocket--the Chevy Camaro Effect), or Audi would hike up the price to the current going rate for blown 6-cylinders and run right into the VW Phaeton Effect.

Personally I think the TT should continue to receive incremental evolutionary upgrades and Audi should save that TT V6 for a hot-rodded version of the Audi A3/A4 coupe. Audi S3 TT... mmm.
    I hear what you're saying, but given the fact that Audi TT sales have fallen off the charts, I think it's time for something more aggressive.

Although the 2004 models will soon be at your dealer, Audi is still selling leftover 2002 models! They've even had to go as far as calling brand new 2002 models "certified used cars".

The TT is already a "niche" car and conservative upgrades won't help it recover sales. If Audi doesn't get aggressive in upgrading the TT, it will go the way of the Dodo bird. In my opinion, that would truly be a shame.
  • dkupdkup Posts: 1
    Has anyone changed done their own oil and filter change on this car? Can you pull the oil plug without jacking up the car? Can you get it up a pair of ramps, or do you need a jack? Where is the filter? The plug? How much oil does it take with a filter change? Is there a good manual (owner's manual doesn't recommend owners change the oil themselves)?
    I'm no mechanic, but I usually change the oil on my cars. However, changing the oil on my TT is too much of a pain, so I take it to the dealer. Even the local oil change shops don't want to mess with it!

It seems like it would be very difficult to do an oil change up on ramps because you have to take off the plastic shroud that protects the underside of the car and you probably won't get enough clearance. If you try it, be very careful putting your car up on the ramps because the front spoiler is pretty low to the ground. You could scrape the bodywork if you're not careful--an assistant is essential.

Please let me know how it works out if you decide to do it on your own. Good luck!
  • perakisperakis Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard WHEN the 2004 TT's will be offered for sale. All I hear is 'the Fall of 2003'. Is it September, October or November? thanks!
  • derekchoyderekchoy Posts: 36
    I don't know for sure but I would think it's coming out around Sept in US. The 2004 TTs come with DSG and I'd love to see how that performs!
  • bartlandbartland Posts: 1
    Hi there! I have a 2001 TT 225 quattro coupe, and I can't stand the wimpy little horn. In addition to sounding more like a "poot" than anything else, I believe that it's a safety issue as well - people don't see small cars like ours sometimes, and offending large vehicles may not hear the anemic stock horn if we try to warn them that we're next to them.

I know that most car horns are 12V and should (theoretically) fit fine. My question is this: what is a good LOUD replacement horn for the TT? I'd like something as ear-splitting and obnoxious as possible, as long as it's legal. If I could find a horn that sounds like a firetruck horn, that would be ideal in my opinion! I'm also looking for something cheap - I'm currently unemployed from layoffs, and looking for something as cheap as possible to achieve the goal at hand.

So to recap, does anyone know of a good LOUD replacement horn for the TT?

thanks!
    That's one of my favorite lines from Pink Floyd. "The Wall" sounds great on my TT's Bose--better with the top up of course. Sorry for the silly post, but I just didn't want to see the forum die due to complete lack of interest.
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    Is there a difference in the shading of the black interiors between years? (Talking mainly about the leather). It seems the 2000 and 2001 are pure, jet black, while the 2003 is a softer, more charcoal black. What's 2002 like?
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    My 2002 TT has a jet black interior. Haven't noticed the lighter black in the newer TT models, I'll have to look for it the next time I go in for service.

Leon
  • leccolecco Posts: 7
    hmm...this forum is pretty dead, but oh well...I am just so excited I just picked up a 2002 CPO TT with the 0.09% for 60 months deal! 57000 miles full equipped except nav. they wanted 25990...got them to go with 25200. What a sweet ride!
  • Hello guys, how are you doing?
    I'd love to buy a 2002-2003 Audi TT and I have a couple of questions. If I buy a 2003 TT to a dealier, they are not offering me any guarantee but they are telling me I have Audi guarantee until 2007, can I just buy the car, take it to the nearest Audi dealer for a check out and if they find something they will repair it for free? What is the difference between a certified pre-owned audi and an audi that is still covered by the 4 years/50,000 miles guarantee?
    Many thanks,

Javier
  • Well, I have purchased a 2001 TT QR 225. I have had it since June and I must say it has been quite enjoyable so far. This is my first Audi but I have owned other German cars (VW). When I purchased it from Carmax, I took it to Tischer Audi for a full checkout. All was well. It had only 16,200 miles on it and runs like top. As also being my first convertible I can't seem to keep the top up on nice days. Now my question. How many of you do your own tune-ups and oil changes? I do all of these on my Durango but it seems a little daunting to try this on my Audi. I have purchased a Bentley service manual and it has helped me when I am poking around under the hood to learn what is where. Do you keep your lower cover on? They call it a noise shroud? but is it worth keeping on the vehicle? It seems that engine cooling would be greatly enhanced without this on as to allow a better flow of air under the hood. Thanks for your responses and let's pick up the pace on this thread. It seems to be a little slow.
  • leccolecco Posts: 7
    wow talk about low milage. Hope you got a good deal on it. I guess if you care enough to buy a bentley manual then sure do your own oil change. I used to do it on mine when I have access to a facility for hobbist to do stuff on their car, but since I moved I just take them to a local mechanic and save myself some time and keep my hands clean.
  • Hey lecco, Now that the weather is getting colder I think that I am going to go that route myself. There was a time it would not bother me but now I am just as happy to let someone else do it. I got a good deal on it $26,500 and have had no problems with it. I usually only use it on sunny days >8^)>3 It is a fun driving car. Has anyone hear had oil consumption issues. I have heard/read that they somtimes drink a bit of oil. I use Mobil1 5w-40 in mine. I read on some german car pages that over there 40 weight oils are recommended highly. I do baby me vehicles when it comes to maintenance. Do you know how to turn off the service indicator. It is telling me I need service but I just had it done. I leave no oil in beyond 5000 miles. And only synthetic fluids are ever used.
  • Nary a peep in this forum about recent models. Is that because they are so incredible that everyone is too busy driving them to post?

I'm going cross-eyed with all of this online research. Anybody out there have anything to say about the newer models? Any experiences with the DSG tans.?

Thx,
    SoonToBeTTFan