Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT

Comments

• edmtownhalledmtownhall Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2001 TT Quattro. I have a few questions (i'll post the name of the dealer and the price when i resolve these questions) to ask. My luggage compartment cover makes A LOT of noise. It's not the fastners, it's the cover itself (cheap plastic on a 30k car?). Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of requesting a new one (which I'm not paying for). I've also got a question about the interior motion detector. I can only activate/de-activate the motion detector when the driver-side door is open. Is this normal? Thanks.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Congratulations on getting your TT! I can't help with the rattle because I have a roadster, but my alarm switch seems to work whether the door is open or not. I don't remember anything in the owner's manual stating that the door must be open either.
  • edmtownhalledmtownhall Member Posts: 5
    Regarding my previous post. The interior motion detector is only supposed to be activated/de-activated as you're exiting the car (i.e. door open). This makes sense now since you wouldn't want to lock yourself in the car with the motion detector on (this wasn't clearly outlined in the manual, but it is common sense I suppose). Regarding the noise... I'm having the dealer either repair or replace the luggage compartment cover since it's covered under warranty (no other interior noises found as of yet). The dealer is also super-cleaning or replacing the floormats (the driver side is a little worn). So it might be premature, but I'm willing to give the dealership good marks all around (I'll update as time goes by... I find message boards like these invaluable for dealer information).

Dealership: Criswell Audi (MD)
    Car Purchased: 2001 Audi TT Coupe Quattro(AWD) 180 HP
    Black Ext/Grey Int
    17.5k miles
    Premium Sound (Bose/6-Disc Changer)
    Sports Package (Rims, Tires, Xenon Lights, etc.)
    Heated Seats
    Audi Assured (100,000 miles)

Price with tax, tags and all that other good stuff: $31849.00

I've been pleased with my sales person so far, and the rest of the dealership employees. Responsive to questions and requests. Hope this info is useful to someone interested in purchasing an Audi (thought about leasing, but if you can handle a decent down payment, get a good APR from your bank/credit union, you're better off buying the car).
  • brucewgbrucewg Member Posts: 5
    If you go to the AudiWorld TT forum (www.audiworld.com, and navigate to the TT forum), then search on "privacy" you'll see many posts about problems withe the privacy shield. Many have been replaced by dealers, but it hasn't always resolved the problem.

I have a new 2002 coupe, and so far, no problems.

Bruce
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Congrats on your new (errrrrrrrrrrrrrr used) TT! Put that 100,000 mile Audi Assured warranty to good use and drive it! Good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• robertdelprobertdelp Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how the Audi TT handles in the winter, in snowy conditions. I was going to purchase an SLK 230, but because I plan on driving it in the winter,I was afraid it wouldn't handle very well on the ice and snow. I was able to test drive an Audi TT, 225 hp. convertible the other day, and really enjoyed it. So far it looks the SLK is coming in 2nd place.
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    I live in the Cleveland area so our winters aren't so severe but occasionally I have to drive on the white stuff. I run on a set of Blizzak MZ-01's and I usually find myself passing all the SUV's. I don't know if there being more cautious or I'm just being stupid. I've never had the car slip on me at speed but then again I've never had to hit the brakes hard. I have practiced moderately hard braking on the snow (on wide roads with no side ditches or traffic around) and found that the car tracks pretty straight. The brakes clatter quite a bit but it brakes pretty good. I figure I'd be screwed if I encountered some ice so I don't do that very often. I've only broken the wheels loose once. I was turning left from a stop going slightly uphill and probably shouldn't of given it so much gas. I turned in the opposite direction while backing off the gas and it straightened right out. I read in one of the Audi magazines where they were interviewing one of their executives. They asked him about sports or something like that and he said he had taken up a new winter sport. Driving his TT in the snow. Have fun with whatever you decide. All I can say is this is going to be my third winter in the TT and I'm not dreading it one bit. Oh yeah, the cars a 225.
  • lar60lar60 Member Posts: 21
    I just traded my 2001 TT for an A6, but had much experience with the hatchback rattle. It sounds like it is coming from the "cheap" privacy guard, but have your dealer replace the clips that secure the hatchback trim to the frame. It is most likely these clips that get loose and creates the rattle you're hearing, not the privacy part. It took me about 6 visits and persistency in getting this fixed. The dealer will have to special order the clips and then you will have to return for the install. If you don't fix this it will only get worse. I loved the TT, but this is a fairly common problem, I even read about it in a review on the car before I bought it.
  • browndog3browndog3 Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 TT roadster came equipped with Pirelli high perf. tires. Dealer said they only last 25k.
    Anyone have different mileage results?

Also, very few problems with the car....a TT is a rare sight in St. Louis, so if you're thinking about unique style, buy the car no one else drives.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You didn't say whether you have the FWD 180hp w/ 16" 50 series or the AWD 225 hp w/ 17" 45 series tires.

However, 25k miles is probably a conservative estimate for the 16", a little optomistic for the 17". At least your tires are the same size and can be rotated front to rear. My neighbor has a 225 Quatro Coupe and they just replaced their tires at 22,000 miles. I have a Honda S2000 which uses W-rated Potenza S02's and different sizes front and rear. They cannot be rotated and I was told to only expect 12k - 15k miles out of them. I had the 7,500 mile service done a couple of weeks age, and the dealer estimated I still had 80% of the useful life left. Apparantly, I drive conservatively.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    look on the sidewall and tell us the "treadwear rating" number. Chances are, the dealership may be correct.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Love the TT styling (who doesn't) but is the large price difference justified for essentially the same vehicle? Also, struggling with the reliability issues you often hear associated with TT's. Comments? Thanks, John
  • mfowler23mfowler23 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at TTs and will probably buy one in the next week. I've been debating new vs. used. I noticed that almost every TT (especially the quattros) seem to be 225s. And of the 2002s that are starting to show up on the market, almost all of them are the ALMS edition. So, I'm wondering if 180s haven't sold or if there's some other reason that people are trading in 225s.

I have a theory, but what do you folks think?

Thanks!
    --Melissa
    It could be that the 225s have been turned in off leases. The 180hp is a much more affordable car (for financers and buyers on somewhat of a low $30K budget), while a 225 sells in the high $30's (low $40's) and is a more attractive car to lease. Just my opinion.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• uwmadisonmsmeuwmadisonmsme Member Posts: 4
    I have not read or posted in a while. Here are some comments on previous posts. I have driven a 180 TT Quattro in Wisconsin for going on three winters in all kinds of weather with absolutely no problems with a set of Blizzaks on 16 inch wheels. It is great in the snow. I would not try it with standard high performance tires.

I will need to replace my standard tires (17 inch
    Bridgestones after about 20 -25k miles next spring when I take the snow tires off. I complained to the dealer several times about road noise this summer but he could find nothing wrong. When I changed tires to snows this week I found the left side tires, especially the front, to be severely worn and cupped on the inside edge. This is definitely the cause of the noise because the snow tires sound fine even though I noticed the start of the same type of wear on the inside edge. The car is going in for an alignment check next week.

Any suggestions on tires to replace my summer tires? Does anyone have experience with other brands on the TT?

I had the noise problem (rattles) with the rear cover and it was replaced by the dealer and is now fine. The new cover has some rubber washers that help to keep it from vibrating. I also had a vibration from the rear trim along the back window that fixed by the dealer. I think he just wedged something underneath the trim to stop it from vibrating.

The only other problem I have had is two replacements of the turbo wastegate under warranty.

The car now has 45,000 miles on it and runs and looks great. Still gets a lot of looks and great comments. I recommend one to anyone.

I also just bought an Audi allroad for my wife with the twin turbo V-6. Anyone have any experience with this vehicle?
  • mp_flmp_fl Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I am not sure how many of you have had these annoying, unsafe, non-value defects that the Audi reps give a run around.

My car is: 2001 TT 225 quatro 18k miles, GPS, Bose Premium sound, Premium Pkg....Lake silver/Denim blue

I have ECO light coming with power going down to 50%, turbo stopping (as a ECO effect), fuel display erratic, speedometer erratic, GPS requiring fuse reseating etc. They replaced parts in it (GPS computer, instrument cluster, cable harness, connectors etc), and after 5 times, it still reappears sporadically. I am in arbitration with BBB and Audi but I am afraid BBB will side with Audi. These problems cannot be reproduced on demand, and does not seem to leave a trail (fault code), But BBB insited that a inspector "test drive" to reproduce them ... Hah!!

I have found that a lot of the TTs have this problem, as well as some other Audis and VWs.. I just want them to buy my car back.. I did not expect this much troble for $42k!! When I had the BMW, I never had any problems!!

Please let me know who else have these defects...

The car is cheaply made in Hungary, and it only "looks" nice... fit and finish are not worthy of a $42k car!! and Audi's customer services needs to learn a thing or two about customer satisfaction...

Mohan P.
    Has anyone out there bought a body kit for the 225 Roadster? I'm looking to update the look of my 2001 with bigger wheels and a body kit. I don't want anything too outrageous, just a sportier look.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good source? Thanks!
  • omega53243omega53243 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a TT last week, im only 18 years old, i hope all you old ppl envy me because im so great. LOL Ive been flicked off 4 times already by ppl in mustangs and other piece of craps.
    Cool dude. And it's other pieces of crap, not piece of craps. If you're going to talk like any idiot on this forum you should at least get the verbage correct.

From an old prsn
    I haven't bought anything from them but I've visited the web site. Check out www.lltek.com.
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look at what they've got.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    For 2003 Audi will introduce an upgraded TT, it will have 3.2 liter engine and 250hp especially a good increase in torque.

Also a special racing transmission never before in the streets, it consist of a double clutch, that allows to engage two gears at the same time, when is time to engage the next gear can be engaged in fractions of a second.

For more details,

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_auditt32_1.html

• daniel431daniel431 Member Posts: 1
    18 years old and just got an Audi TT? Get real! Did your daddy buy that for you? Geezz, no wonder people are flipping you off. I don't envy you one bit LOL!
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    LOL...I owned a Porsche 914 when I was 17, and even though the car only cost me $3,500, I was chased, flipped off and almost run off the road. It was crazy. In hindsight, I had no business owning that car, but then again my Dad had insisted. I had just wanted a brand-new Rabbit. This kid is probably suffering from having an irresponsible Dad who happens to live vicariously through his kids. Not that an 18-year-old would mind, but hopefully when he grows up he'll realize how unwise it is to hand a car like that to someone on a silver platter.
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    The new Golf GTI with the turbocharged 4 is great car and also is very practical. The TT gives little real-world performance edge, although Golf GTI suspensions are a bit too soft imo. From a design point of view, the TT is a modern, industrial work of art. That's worth a lot, but the question is how much it's worth to you. Since your question was centered on whether it's worth the difference, I'm pointing this out because the design is the only real difference (unless you want to pay up for all-wheel-drive or built-in navigation), other than prestige. Oh, and you can get a sunroof in a Golf, but not in a TT. As for reliability, figure about the same...but not so hot, from everything I read and hear. If it bothers you to spend $40k on a car that will have annoying problems, there's another reason to buy the Golf.
  • bill229bill229 Member Posts: 1
    I am Looking to buy an Audi TT but I am somewhat young and concerned about insurance cost. I will probably purchase a base 180hp tt coupe fwd. How high is insurance on a TT?
  • maxwellamaxwella Member Posts: 17
    I'm not your demographic (i'm a 34 y.o. female), but the TT (i have the 225 hp roadster) is cheaper to insure than my mustang (base model) was. that was a shocker to me.
  • flatj2flatj2 Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer on the table for a used 2000 TT with 40k miles at about 20k and includes a 2 year bumper to bumper warenty. Does this sound about right or to good to be true.

I have also done research on JD powers and Consumer Reports and both seem to imply that the TT is very unreliable. Is this true? Will this car spend most of its time in the shop or on the road. I will have to drive it to work every day which is only 3 miles one way. My wife and I thought it would be alot of fun to drive on the weekends but if I am going to have to drop tons of money into it just to maintain it than that makes me nervous. Please HELP!!
    I'm about to sell my '01 225Coupe for about 5k more than that. It has almost 50k on it now and now that it's about to run out of waranty it's been very reliable. The fact that you can get an addiontional 2 yrs is a bonus. Buy the car and don't worry about it.

John
    Thanks for your response although I have to wonder why are you selling your TT after only 2 years? Also, do you know why Consumer Reports and JD powers both give the Audi TT a very low reliability rating? Is it because these cars require alot of work due to all the cool stuff it has.

I guess I am nervous since the only sports car I ever purchased was a Dodge Daytona about 14 years ago and it had all the cool stuff (i.e. turbo, electrical systems, etc) and it was also broke down about the entire time I owned it. But that was not nearly as expensive as a TT.
    I'm selling 'cause I tend to hold on to things too long and just feel its time for a change. I love the car. As far as reliability goes let me relate my little story which I'm sure is something that is factored into reliability reports. Between the two or three times I've taken my car in for something that was wrong and the four times for oil changes(I did take it elsewhere for in between oil changes)the dealer managed to screw something else up while they had the car four of those times. Wasn't the cars fault but it must reflect in reliability reports. If the car you're looking at is anything like mine most if not all the problems have been encountered and have been taken care of. Will the seller let you look at all of the repair invoices? Also have you checked to see if the recalls have been complied with?(There have only been two on my model) Also there are a couple of websites you can go to and research typical problems that may be particular to your car and you can check that against the repair invoices. Hope I haven't scared you but Knowledge is power.

John
    I concur with ugly1's comments about the TT. My 2001 Roadster has only been to the shop for unscheduled maintenance six times. However, on three of those six occasions, the dealer screwed up something else. When the struts for the convertible top were replaced, the technician forgot to reconnect the power to the glass windblocker. When the convertible top's header lock needed adjustment, they adjusted it perfectly--as long I didn't mind the water leaks. When they performed the recall repair on the rear suspension, they didn't do a correct wheel alignment. All of these problems were fixed free of charge. Other than gas, oil, insurance, and cleaning supplies, I have not had to spend a dime on the car.

All in all, my TT has been very reliable over the two years I have owned it. It has never left me stranded and any problems have been minor. The car is virtually free of squeaks and rattles and it looks and runs great. I highly recommend the TT...
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Volkswagen/Audi in Massive Recall

More than 850,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles --
    about 530,000 sedans and hatchbacks sold in the
    U.S. alone -- are being recalled for a faulty
    ignition coil. Volkswagen announced the recall last
    week, noting that the problem could cause spark
    plug failure and rough running, which is usually
    indicated by the vehicle's "Check Engine" light.
    Most of the cars affected carry the VW corporate
    1.8-liter turbo four (which includes the Audi A4
    and TT coupe; the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle
    and Passat), the 2.8-liter VR6 and the 3.0-liter
    V6 engines, as well as the VW Passat's W8.
    I am close to buying the TT (used with 38k miles)but I am not only now wondering about reliability but I am also wondering about the average repair cost if you are not under warenty. The used Audi has a 2 year warenty but I am nervous about what happens after that. Edmunds has some reports that show some of the maintenance costs and it looks like eveything cost more but Shocks are like through the roof compared to a normal sedan. What is the likelyhood that I will need to replace the shocks in 5 years. What other expensive problems should I be concerned about? Thanks again!!
  • couchguycouchguy Member Posts: 3
    hey fellas, i have a 98 volvo c70 Coupe (in gold),....had it for a few years now, and i have no major complaints about the car, its served me well, no problems what so ever, nothing but routine checkups and such,....im considering trading it in and adding a little extra and getting a TT. i could use some feedback on what year to consider (based on quality and dependability, not $$). also some feedback if there are a lot of maintenance or little problems here and there.
    note, im only considering the coupe, and is the 180 hp enough or is the 225 really worth it ?
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    I have had a 2001 TT Roadster 180hp for over 2 years and it has been a very reliable machine. The only maintenance I've done outside of the regular oil change was the replacement of a turbo valve which, for some reasons, started to generate some whizzing noise everytime I shifted gears. It was replaced free of charge. The car rides great and I really have no complain.

However, I echo ugly1 and vinnyny's comments that Audi's service (at least through the dealer I go to) on my TT has been less than satisfactory. The metal strip (beneath the door) with TT imprinted on it has part of its original plastic sheet stuck on it since the car was new, and everytime I bring it in they said they don't have the parts although I called 3 weeks before and told them what I wanted to get fixed. Another occasion they left a tool in my engine compartment after an oil change, I was wondering what was rattling in my engine when I opened up the hood and saw the tool. I wasn't impressed with this dealer's service at all.

Other than that, I love the TT!!
    As the post above I also had problems with the bypass valve. I think most of them did. Other than service created problems the cars been great. Here's a short take on the screw ups. Plastic deal that holds the bottom of the window on the rail broke-replaced-forgot to hook up speaker wire-had to take car back. Had an oil change-had an oil leak-filter was loose-had to take car back. Had the rear link recall done-forgot to put brake dust cover on right-was making a helluva noise by the time I got home-had to take the car back. Left the shipping rubbers in the front springs-my neighborhood mechanic took them out for me-gave them to the dealer next time I was in. Love the car not the dealer. Originally drove the 180 and loved it but when it came time to buy I thought why wimp out. Sorry to all who have the 180 but there is no comparison between the two. But now its time for something new and different. Anyone want a nice '01 225?

John
  • ajl1000ajl1000 Member Posts: 15
    Hi!
    I don't own a TT, but I was reading through the Audi FAQ online and saw something about a radar monitoring sensor for top-down protection. What is this all about? What is it for and what does it do?

Thanks,
    ajl1000
    You must be refering to the interior movement sensor which is part of the cars anti-theft alarm system.
  • maxwellamaxwella Member Posts: 17
    IIRC, older models of the TT had alarm protection when the top was down and the alarm activated. however, i read this system caused a lot of problems, and the capability was eventually removed. i have a 2001 roadster, and do not have the top-down sensors.

fwiw, couchguy, i love my tt and wouldn't trade it for anything else right now. i do have a 225 hp model...i think it's the only way to go. reliability has been great. i do have one annoying rattle, but i've never been in a roadster that doesn't.
  • dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    Question: Can you fit a normal size child seat in the TT Coupe? I have test driven the TT a while back and remember being unable to put an infant style child seat in the back reasonably. But will the more toddler type, normal seat fit? If I am unable to get an RX-8 or G35 Coupe, a pre-owned TT (even with reliability concerns!) may be a good value at current prices and allow me to take my son to daycare (only 3 miles to and from work).

I currently have a 99 Audi A4 1.8T and it would be a small upgrade!
  • cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    I'm probably just one opinion on this, but I don't believe you should have a car seat in a sports car!
  • randomguy11111randomguy11111 Member Posts: 39
    Audi unloads '02s
    Presto-chango! Spiffs of up to $4,000 change new cars to old

By Arlena Sawyers
    Automotive News / March 23, 2003

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

Advertisement

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

The Audi program

Runs through April

About 700 untitled new 2002 cars and 300 to 400 service loaner cars available

Half of vehicles are Audi TTs

Dealer incentives of nearly $4,000 per vehicle

Consumer rates as low as 1.9%

In an effort to clear dealer lots of unsold new 2002 models, Audi of America is encouraging its dealers to put the cars in their certified pre-owned inventory and sell them as used vehicles.

On March 1, Audi had a 100-day supply of new vehicles, up from an 85-day supply on Feb 1.

About 1,000 to 1,100 cars are available under the program - 700 new 2002 cars in dealer inventory and 300 to 400 retired loaner cars.

Russ Hill, Audi national sales director, says about half of the vehicles are Audi TT sports cars, which had sales of 1,225 through February 2003 vs. 1,351 through the year-ago period.

The company is paying dealer incentives of up to nearly $4,000 for each 2002 untitled car and retired service department loaner car sold under Audi's Certified Pre-Owned Executive car program. Audi had been offering $1,000 dealer incentives on some of its 2002 models.

Hill says the program's purpose is to give dealers an innovative way to clear out their 2002 models, snag more certified used-vehicle sales and help dealers price the 2002 vehicles below their new 2003 counterparts.

"A 2002 has a year's depreciation, and it's not even sold," Hill says. "Unless you want to distress-merchandise it, you have to come up with a way to make both (the 2002 and 2003) attractive."

Audi reports the cars as new retail sales once they are taken out of a dealer's new-car fleet for certification.

The cars are covered by the company's standard four-year/50,000 mile new-car warranty plus the limited certified used-car warranty that extends the coverage to six years/100,000 miles.

Money makes it work

Incentives can total $3,950:

Hill says the company usually charges dealers about $900 per vehicle to cover the certified warranty. Under the program, that cost has been cut in half, saving $450.

The company also is offering an incentive of up to $2,500 per vehicle, depending on the model.

Dealers whose customers finance the vehicles through Audi Financial Services earn an additional $1,000.

The captive finance company is offering special finance rates as low as 1.9 percent to consumers who purchase the vehicles.

If the program, which runs through April, is successful, Hill says it is likely the company will use it every year to clear out carryover inventory. "Our (certified sales) growth is up about 35 percent over (the same period) last year," Hill says.

"We wanted to find out what are the advantages and to catch that growth wave. It's a wonderful time to test the concept to see if we want to do it in the future."

Wayne Williams, owner of Williams Auto World (Volkswagen-Audi-Subaru) in Lansing, Mich., says he had one 2002 model in his inventory, a TT convertible.

After learning about the program, he placed the vehicle in his service loaner fleet.

A customer who drove the vehicle as a loaner shortly afterward purchased it as certified used vehicle.

Williams says the program enables dealers to make a gross profit of $1,500 to $2,000 on a TT compared to the $2,000 to $2,500 a dealer would normally make on the sale of a new car.

Complicated program

He says he can live with that because Audi is doing what it can to help dealers merchandise a year-old car.

His only complaint, he says, is that the program has too many components and is complicated.

"Most Audi dealers are multiple line dealers, and it's hard to keep track of all of these programs," says Williams, who expects to retail 50 to 60 certified used and 140 to 150 new Audi cars this year.

Read more about...
    Audi starts year weaker, growth seen in China
    Audi 2002 pre-tax profit slips
    NAMAD threatens Audi, Chrysler boycott
    Audi invests $8 million in A4 advertising campaign
  • pilotzspilotzs Member Posts: 1
    Was interested in any opinions on issues with the Neiman Marcus Edition. It has around 7500 miles...low mile car. Looks in great condition etc. Didn't know if there were maintenance issues with the 2000 cars, etc or with these special editions. Any comments and advice welcome. Thanks in advance. Might look at a 2001 Quattro also, but the 2000 is more affordable for me.
  • bishop1213bishop1213 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking possibly getting this 00 TT, it has a lot of miles, but it is in pretty good condition, only one owner. Warranty is included in the price 17,200 , I drove the car, seems fine to me, it was a little loud, well I could hear the engine running, even after it's been running for awhile.

I told the dealer and he had the car looked at and said that, it's fine, and that the car sounds like that, is that the case?
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    Yes, it's normal to hear the engine sound, actually, I quite like that deep, low growl. It's a sports car after all, can't expect it to be as quiet as a Lexus!

Good luck. I love my 01 TT Conv a lot!
    What's the point in putting a heavier 6 cylinder in the TT? My "chipped" quattro roadster makes about the same HP and torque but weighs significantly less. Why didn't Audi just upgrade the 1.8T's power and suspension/brakes to retain the lighter weight? While the increased power of the 6 is welcome, the increased weight hurts handling and braking (relative to a similarly upgraded 1.8T).

I guess it's because all the competition has 6's...
    unfortunately it probably is because most of the competition does offer some form of 6 cyl engine. The TTs (plural) haven't exactly been flying off dealer's lots lately. The easiest fix for something like that is for a Mfr. to broaden the car's appeal is to add an upgraded motor and an automatic transmission (I think DSG is very cool, highly advanced and is much different from a conventional slushbox/tiptronic, but at the end of the day it is still an automatic which most Americans prefer). Unfortunately (most) Americans still prefer low-end torque and would take it over a better weight distribution and turbo-lag. I have to say though that every auto mag loves the TTV6 and said nothing to the effect of having the weight distribution thrown off (your mileage may vary:)

I know the TT is not for everybody, but they've still got to sell them. I'd hate to see a car whose breakthrough styling has caused so many other automakers to copy (read Lexus SC430 & Nissan 350Z just to name 2) be discontinued.

I agree with all that you've said. However, if Audi felt compelled to put a 6 in the TT, why didn't they really make it something special--like 6 cylinders AND turbo? That would have been awesome and I probably would have traded for one.

From all I've read about the new transmission, it sounds fantastic. As much as I like rowing through the gears manually, this new tranny is so slick that I might actually try one.

The TT truly was a ground-breaking car when it came out. I still wonder why they didn't start out with the 6 however...
    Why no turbo with the V6? Personally I'd have loved to see the Bi-Turbo V6 from the original S4 show up too. I guess they just wanted less complications. The current narrow angle 3.2L VR6 fits right into the engine bay as we know it from the Jetta and GTI iterations of the platform. It seems they developed the DSG transmission to work with this particular motor. Just a thought.

As to why they didn't offer the V6 in the first place. You answered your own question in your original post. Weight distribution. The sheer beauty of the TT sold it for the first year or so. They could have offered it with the VW 2.0L 4 banger and people would've bought it. They figured 2 1.8T engines along with different FWD & AWD setups with Coupe & roadster were all the market would take.