Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Well, you are correct. VW's aren't noted for extreme reliability. They have improved in recent years though, and I agree, they are fun to drive.

I do wish you well.
    I do try to temper my responses when I get taken on in these forums. If pushed, I'll push back to a point but if someone really pushes my buttons, I'll back out. Life is short.

I'm not one to mince words, however and I'm sure that can come across as a lack of empathy.

I do appreciate your kind words.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Thanks!!! I hope to enjoy my Jetta for awhile.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    that we're getting along better and I want to commend Isell for maintaining his composure.
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    I don't sell Hondas but I too remember the "Hondas have bad brakes" posts. I have original brake pads on my 98 Accord and just had the state inspection done at 64,000 miles. My mechanic said the front pads will probably last another one or two oil changes (4k or 8k miles). So I agree with Isell that the driver was likely to blame if brake pads wore out at 20k miles.

I have a V6 Accord, and have had no tranny problems thus far at 64k miles. So, I can add my offsetting personal experience to the tales of woe. That doesn't mean I don't believe those who post their troubles, but one must keep in mind that people are much more likely to post complaints and problems than they are to post about not having problems.

Regarding the warranty and replacing a transmission, here's my opinion. For the first 50k miles, I think Honda should replace the tranny at no cost. Why do I think they should beyond the 36k mile warranty? I think it is reasonable to believe that the problem began before the warranty expired, even though the failure didn't occur until after that point.

Honda should offer some partial payment between 50k and 100k miles, probably on a sliding scale from 50 percent down to zero percent co-payment on Honda's part. Would that make an owner happy who had one fail at 55k, 85k or 105k miles? Probably not. But you don't buy products with the right of eternal happiness.

Some TVs last 5 years and some last 25 years. I'd probably change brands on a TV that only lasted 5 years, but I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to pay for a repair.

I had a Ford tranny fail at 110k miles, and it's made me leary of Ford transmissions. Fair or not, that's how I feel. And I understand anybody having a Honda tranny fail feeling the same way.
  • naz3naz3 Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a 2002 Accord coupe and I will only do so if I find a Japanese one (based on what I've read here, thanks guys), but I have not been able to do. For those that were successful in getting a Japanese Accord, how did you go about it without going crazy? All the salespeople say the Japanese are rare if at all and only see American ones. I live on Long Island in New York.

Also, are the 4 cylinder Accords still prone to the automatic transmission problems than the V6's have? Do the 4-cylinders still have adequate power? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob
  • pj23pj23 Posts: 158
    I don't know how many of the coupes are built in Japan, but I do know that none of the V6 models are - they are all from Ohio.

Japanese v. American Accords have been discussed before. Here's something to keep in mind - a friend of mine has a 2000 EX-L sedan (I4), built in Japan, that had a new engine put in at 10,000 miles because pieces of metal (shavings, shards, etc.) were found in the original engine. Japanese-built Accords are not perfect. American-built Accords are not perfect.
    I'm trying to remember...I don't remember ever seeing a Japanese built Accord coupe.

I still maintain that there is no difference in build quality between Japan and US Hondas. Not that I've ever been able to tell anyway. My 99 coupe was built in the US and it's been flawless.

Like someone else said...no car will be perfect.

The 4 cyl Accords are not "still prone" to any transmission problems...they never were. The V-6 problems were isolated events.

As far as power? I think the 4 cyls have plenty of power but you should drive one and be your own judge of that.

Good luck!
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    Is there a way to tell (maybe from the VIN #) if your Accord was built in Japan?
  • naz3naz3 Posts: 2
    Is there any buzz (aside from a few photoshopped spy-pics) on the new 2003 Accord coupe? Maybe I'll just wait till it comes out, but by then it will be too late to buy a 2002 in case the 2003 isn't as nice. I wonder if the 2003 Accord coupes will be Ohio built or Japanese-built, I'm assuming Ohio. I still have a Japanese built 1993 Prelude Si with 110,000 miles (bought it new in 93) and it's still very tight with a great original tranny, however it burns alot of oil.

Any preliminary word on the 2003 Accord coupe changes from 2002? Thanks again, I'm glad I found this board.

Regards,
    Bob
    I thought that was the case - mine was built in Japan then.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Accord Coupes are all bit in the US. And as far as I know, V6 coupes and sedans are all built in the US. Some 4-cylinder sedans are built in Japan. You can tell by the VIN number, if it starts with "J", it's made in japan.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    Has anyone seen any verified pictures of the new 2003 Honda Accord? I stopped by my Honda dealer and his lot contained 24 new Honda Pilots. On TV, the release date indicated June 3rd to the public.

Yes, I would take a Japanese built Accord any day in the week over the Ohio produced Accord.

Why is that Japanese manufacturers such as Acura, Toyota and Nissan all build their "luxury" models in Japan? Are Japanese car companies telling us something?
    It's amazing how "Made in Japan" seems to carry extra clout nowadays, but not to belittle the folks in Ohio. I'm sure they do a fine job!
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    A major daily newspaper is writing a story about collision damage insurance, and is looking to talk with drivers who have run into deer or moose. "In most states, such an encounter is not covered by comp. or collision damage insurance; you need special coverage. I want to talk to people who have had these collisions and learn how they handled them. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from people who were involved in some other sort of incident involving their auto and found out that insurance they thought they had was not there." Please respond no later than Monday, June 3 to paudel2001@msn.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks as always!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I suppose if a prospective buyer is determined that Japan built cars are "better" than that's what he/she should buy I guess.

Personally, I've never been able to detect one twit of difference between them.

But...what do I know?

Loving my defect free '99 EX-V-6 coupe...US built!
  • rebeccamorebeccamo Posts: 7
    I was quite surprised to find the label on the door jamb of my new Accord LX that said my car was "Made in Mexico." My sister's SE (both 4 cyl) was made in Japan. We bought our's days apart, so the comparison over the next few years should be interesting!
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    What nerve!

What do ya mean "my defect free EX-V-6 coupe...US built" ?

Hey, I thought I had the only one! Er, wait a cotton-picking-minute, mine is a '98 and yours is a '99. Ok, ok, now we know where the good ones went.

Is yours US built by way of Pitcarin Island?
    And is yours a "Monday" car?
    Mine is a "Second Shift Tuesday" car. So there!
    :)
    It did come from Pitcarin...You finally found me out!

Made in Mexico? Ah...don't think so!