Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• naz3naz3 Posts: 2
    Is there any buzz (aside from a few photoshopped spy-pics) on the new 2003 Accord coupe? Maybe I'll just wait till it comes out, but by then it will be too late to buy a 2002 in case the 2003 isn't as nice. I wonder if the 2003 Accord coupes will be Ohio built or Japanese-built, I'm assuming Ohio. I still have a Japanese built 1993 Prelude Si with 110,000 miles (bought it new in 93) and it's still very tight with a great original tranny, however it burns alot of oil.

Any preliminary word on the 2003 Accord coupe changes from 2002? Thanks again, I'm glad I found this board.

Regards,
    Bob
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    I thought that was the case - mine was built in Japan then.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Accord Coupes are all bit in the US. And as far as I know, V6 coupes and sedans are all built in the US. Some 4-cylinder sedans are built in Japan. You can tell by the VIN number, if it starts with "J", it's made in japan.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    Has anyone seen any verified pictures of the new 2003 Honda Accord? I stopped by my Honda dealer and his lot contained 24 new Honda Pilots. On TV, the release date indicated June 3rd to the public.

Yes, I would take a Japanese built Accord any day in the week over the Ohio produced Accord.

Why is that Japanese manufacturers such as Acura, Toyota and Nissan all build their "luxury" models in Japan? Are Japanese car companies telling us something?
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    It's amazing how "Made in Japan" seems to carry extra clout nowadays, but not to belittle the folks in Ohio. I'm sure they do a fine job!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A major daily newspaper is writing a story about collision damage insurance, and is looking to talk with drivers who have run into deer or moose. "In most states, such an encounter is not covered by comp. or collision damage insurance; you need special coverage. I want to talk to people who have had these collisions and learn how they handled them. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from people who were involved in some other sort of incident involving their auto and found out that insurance they thought they had was not there." Please respond no later than Monday, June 3 to paudel2001@msn.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks as always!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    I suppose if a prospective buyer is determined that Japan built cars are "better" than that's what he/she should buy I guess.

Personally, I've never been able to detect one twit of difference between them.

But...what do I know?

Loving my defect free '99 EX-V-6 coupe...US built!
  • rebeccamorebeccamo Posts: 7
    I was quite surprised to find the label on the door jamb of my new Accord LX that said my car was "Made in Mexico." My sister's SE (both 4 cyl) was made in Japan. We bought our's days apart, so the comparison over the next few years should be interesting!
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    What nerve!

What do ya mean "my defect free EX-V-6 coupe...US built" ?

Hey, I thought I had the only one! Er, wait a cotton-picking-minute, mine is a '98 and yours is a '99. Ok, ok, now we know where the good ones went.

Is yours US built by way of Pitcarin Island?
    And is yours a "Monday" car?
    Mine is a "Second Shift Tuesday" car. So there!
    :)
    It did come from Pitcarin...You finally found me out!

Made in Mexico? Ah...don't think so!
  • paulo3paulo3 Posts: 113
    I will only buy a Honda that has a J on the Vin number. Case closed.
    That's fine...too bad you'll miss out on some great models.

To each his own...
    I've spent the last 4 hours in transit from So CA, and the only thing I could think about on the plane was getting to my car to re-read the label inside the driver's door. I am relieved to know I am neither an idiot, nor a liar. It says, "MFD. BY HONDA DE MEXICO... MADE IN MEXICO." Now, if there is anyone (BESIDES isellhondas) than can validate that my car may have really been made in Mexico - or where it really was made - I would appreciate it.

Of course, maybe what I bought wasn't a real "Honda." You know - like the "Ray Bans" you buy for $10 in Tijuana??
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    "Honda de Mexico (HDM) began assembling vehicles in 1995 and produces Accord Sedans primarily for the Mexican market using engines from Honda's Anna Engine Plant in Ohio, and support and parts from Honda's North American suppliers. To date, HDM has produced more than 46,000 units."

http://www.autointell.com/News-2001/April-2001/April-18-01-p3.htm

Maybe there weren't intended for import into the U.S.?

I've never seen one much less sold one.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    lugwrench, The Acura 3.2TL is made in the US. Same factory as the Accord in Marysville, OH. I believe so is the MDX. Did you know the BMW Z3, as well as X5 is made in the US? And did you know the next generation Lexus RX300 is going to be manufactured in Canada?
    There's probably many more here in CA that were made in Mexico, but maybe the owners don't realize it.

Now that I look at the dealer sticker, it says the port of entry was San Diego, engine and transmission from USA, final assembly point El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico. Interesting!

I don't mind at all that my Accord was made in Mexico... it's still a Honda. I'm confident that it will give me years of reliable service. At least I have another 35,000 miles before I need to worry about it.
  • mike1qazmike1qaz Posts: 93
    Rebecca, I believe the accords built there have a vin that starts with a "3". Take a look at your vin and let us know. I have seen a few of these on the lots in South Louisiana also. I believe the vins are: 1 USA, 2 CANADA, 3 MEXICO, J JAPAN.

Going back a few posts on brakes. I just had to replace my front pads at 68K on my 01 LX. I have no complaints on the wear and performance of my brakes. But I will warn others out there that are used to using the brake fluid reservoir level to determine pad wear, that my fluid level was midway when the pads needed replacement. All the other cars that I had owned lately would have been at the minimum level. Noone else added any fluid either because I do my own routine maintenance.
  • jeepvanjeepvan Posts: 46
    Hi,
    In my Accord EX 97, my little son, put some coins inside the casset player. Now, the casset goes inside and comes back again. It is not playing, but the AM/FM is fine. Any idea how to fix this? and a rough cost ?Thanks for your help.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    If you want the top quality built car in the world, it comes out of a Japanese plant.

J.D. Power rated Toyota's Tahara, Japan, factory that builds the Lexus GS 300/430 and LS 430 cars as the world's best for producing quality vehicles.

Ever since Mercedes Benz put a plant in Alabama, their quality has slipped. BMW's plant in South Carolina doesn't put out the once stellar cars it produced in Germany. Look at the VW plant in Mexico that produces the trouble prone VW bug.

Look at the Honda plant in Ohio and ask yourself, "Are these cars built as great as they were 10 years ago"? If your answer is Yes, go to the NHSTA site and look at all the complaints.
    And while you are there, bring up ANY OTHER make and see if there are any complaints.

Look up the nature of the complaints...

And...hey, I have no problem with anybody who thinks Japan built Hondas are better.

I just disagree...totally.

But what do I know? I've only sold about a thousand of them.

And, before anybody calls me biased or accuses me of "having my head in the sand", I'll say this...

You could be right...It's just that I have never been able to detect any differences in quality.

Buy what you like!
  • paulo3paulo3 Posts: 113
    I have to agree with Lugwrench, the numbers at the NHSTA don't lie isellhondas. There are more and more complaints regarding Accords. You might sell Hondas but I believe you wear "rose colored glasses" when someone presents facts. Maybe you just don't want to believe all the customer complaints posted at the NHSTA?

Listen isellhondas, the NHSTA numbers are facts and not lies. People have more complaints regarding Accords---that's what the NHSTA is all about.

Yes isellhondas, you might sell 1000's of Hondas but I also suggest you start reading the 1000's of complaints at the NHSTA. All the numbers are there!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Yeah but what makes a complaint at NHSTA a "valid" complaint?

You can read these very boards and see any number of "complaints" that are very heartfelt but nonetheless very dubious.

As for the "made in Japan" claim vs. the "made in Mexico" claim vs WHATEVER, I think that is second-guessing taken to an extreme when buying a car or truck. You look at CR, Edmunds, talk to owners, and make up your mind from that. Trying to prove a relative statistical defect rate between the same models made in different countries?---well, GOOD LUCK, that's a tough piece of work for the average car buyer, unless you are content to make your decisions based on unproven rumors that SOUND like "they should be true".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Yup - It begins with a 3. 3HGCG...
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
    Lugwrench makes some valid points as well Mr. Shiftright. Here is the latest survey results from J.D. Powers so everyone can make their own judgment.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20020531/1008063.asp

• Isn't it interesting the Japanese manufacturer Nissan's quality has slipped this past year? The plant that produces the new Altima is in Tennessee which happens to be a state in the USA!

I would love to see a quality comparison of the Honda plant in Ohio and the Honda plant in Japan that produces Accords. I bet for my money, the plant in Japan produces a high quality Accord. Unfortunately, Honda doesn't share this type of data with the consumer.
    Some makes are worse than others.

My god...if we based our car buying on these reports we would all ride bicycles or take a bus!

And, mikegold...you are correct. The Honda plant in Japan does produce "high quality Accords" So does the plant in Ohio.
  • pj23pj23 Posts: 158
    Wait a minute, Toyota has four assembly plants in the United States producing 1.1 million vehicles annually, including the Camry, Camry Solara, Corolla, Avalon, Sienna, Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia. But wait a minute, Toyota was at the TOP of the JD Power ratings. There must be some sort of mistake. Toyotas are made in the United States and yet head the initial quality ratings?

I think everyone should take a moment to read some of the NHTSA complaints. Here is one of my favorites:

"THIS MODEL HONDA MAKES A LOUD NOISE, COMING FROM THE UNDERNEATH THE CAR, WHEN FIRST STARTED COLD. THE SOUND IS MORE LIKE A "THUMP" AND IS SUPSPECTED (ALTHOUGH I'M NOT CERTAIN) TO BE EITHER THE TRANSMISSION OR THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. I TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT CARS AND THE NOISE WAS CONSISTENT. THE DEALER TELLS ME THE NOISE IS "NORMAL" WHICH IS ABSURD. HONDA HAS A RECALL PENDING ON EARLIER MODEL CARS FOR AN EXHAUST SYUSTEM PROBLEM--I'M WONDERING IF THIS COULD BE RELATED. I AM NOT AN EXPERT SO DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER OR NOT."

Clearly, if every car does it, it MUST be a defect that is related to a previous exhaust recall on an eariler model car. It is clearly not: a) sensitive ears, b) a normal, mechanical actuation on start-up or shifting, or c) the fist of God pounding the car roof in frustration. And, because no VIN is indicated in the complaint, this could even be, *gasp*, a Japanese Accord being complained about!

Mr. Shiftright is correct, these NHTSA consumer complaints are very subjective. The assertion that Japanese-built Accords are better than American-built Accords is based on anecdotal evidence, at best. Subjective and anecdotal evidence does not prove a point. Certainly, there are Accords rolling off the assembly line in Japan that are superior to ones rolling off the assembly line in Ohio. The reverse is just as true, as I alluded to somewhere on these boards, regarding my friend's Japanese-built 2000 I4-EX needing its entire engine replaced at 10,000 miles, due to what appeared to be manufacturing defects - the car was maintained per Honda specifications.

Those looking to buy Japanese Accords, by all means do so. And enjoy your Accord. The rest of us with Accords from Ohio will put on a brave face and try to muddle through. But please stop perpetuating what only amounts to a myth. If you've got objective data to prove that Japanese Accords are superior, by all means share it. You are making the assertions, it is not up to the rest of us to prove the negative. It is up to you to back up what you say.

And when I see you at a stoplight, I'll laugh as my EX-V6 leaves you in the dust.
  • What I am reading is that the Japanese build better Accords in Japan than Ohio. Also, I didn't see the Toyota plant in Louisville or the Honda plant in Ohio singled out as top plants in quality. Good plants yes but not the tops in the field.

As far as NHSTA sure there are complaints from all car manufacturers but what about the same complaints that keep re appearing pertaining to a certain model? I sure read a lot of balancer shaft seal complaints regarding 1994-1997 Honda Accords. It had me worried because my car was a 1996 Accord. The complaints must have been heard because Honda fixed my seal with a clip. They notified me by mail. Other things that stand out are the wiring harness on Accords as well as the air bag recalls.

The NHSTA provides checks and balances that force manufacturers into doing something when there is a continuous problem recorded.
  • pj23pj23 Posts: 158
    Query - where, apart from this board, do you read that Japanese Accords are better?

I don't debate the usefulness of the NHTSA complaint mechanism, nor the validity of many of the complaints. I do take issue with equating the number of complaints to a lower quality product from a domestic factory, which, unless I was misreading, is exactly what was done. And I think, for a car like the Accord, that sells in the numbers that it does and has the reputation that it has (which makes people hold it to a higher standard), that 80 complaints for several hundred thousand cars sold in 2001, is an egregious amount.

And lastly, what happened to domestic Honda plants in 1995-96 that caused a sudden decrease in quality? Some have at least insinuated that Accord quality was just fine before then, but all of a sudden, quality headed downhill. What about the 13 or 14 years Accords were built in the United States before 1995?

My point about Toyota was this, despite having plants in the United States, they were at the top of the JD Power rating. Apparently, their domestic plants must be producing quality cars.

And, just for the record, I am not trying to defend Honda to the death. I am not a Honda salesman, don't own any stock. I just haven't seen the proof. And I drove Chevrolet's answer to the Accord for 2 years. The Malibu may have been one of the most improved in initial quality, but it had (and still has, in my opinion) a heck of a long way to go to match the Accord for sophistication, reliability, and quality of assembly and materials.
This discussion has been closed.