Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• Lokki, I don't mean to pick on you, but the whole purpose of boards like these is to have free and honest exchange of experiences so people can better evaluate how to spend $25K over the next 4 years. Think about the crummiest car you can think of - if there were no word of mouth experience, you could have well been saddled with it. This information flow works both ways - I am sure a large part of the reason we all bought Hondas was because of word of mouth. It's also what makes our Hondas worth more than the average vehicle.

Regardless, part of what folks are attempting to do here is PRESERVE the value of their hard earned $$ by getting Honda to protect them down the road with a warranty extension or fix should the situation warrant. How is anyone going to be hurt if a warranty extension or better quality repair results? Getting information from places like these help the evaluation process and doesn't intend to hurt anyone. No offense intended - thanks.
  • yrmacyrmac Posts: 134
    lokki,
    If you check the title of this forum, it indicates quality issues regarding Honda Accord.LOGICALLY, you will see Honda Accord problems in this forum and not praise for its "inherent" quality. I think you need to reevaluate your logic of reasoning here. 16,000 tranny problem might not be a significant amount coming from a value of close to 1 million or so vehicles but the matter of fact is this 16,000 tranny problem is A TRANNY PROBLEM and not an engine problem.
    Plus, Lokki, c'mon if you categorize this as a hysteria then don't go this forum. Its not healthy for you. Also, a car was/is not an investment, its a liability. Therefore putting a value in car is a losing proposition. "Whining" certainly will not help it but again, not "whining" as you call it will not increase its value either.
    I'll bet you, this problem will evolve into a "Sludgegate" for Honda maybe in three months, six months, or a year from now. I just hope that HOnda does not make the same kind of mistake that Toyota did with its Sludgegate.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,702
    Of being called a liar. I mean, really.

The number of problem transmissions is VERY SMALL compared to the ones without trouble.

The doomsayers sure like to stir up trouble.
  • How is it that the shuddering, juddering, torque lock-up, or whatever you want to call it, is NORMAL? Normal for what? Well, I guess Honda for transmissions, because that's what I am constantly being told at the dealership and here in these forums. I have owned and driven many cars in my lifetime, and I have never, EVER, had a transmission that acted like this. This is my first experience with Honda however, so all those other transmissions must've been abnormal since this one is so normal. At 32K miles, I just hope my normal transmission will go the distance.
  • isellhondas--since day one you brushed off the transmission problem as if it was nothing. In addition, you mentioned that it only affected a small number of cars when the supplier changed a part without Honda knowing. Nice try.

People presented their problems here and you seemed to scoff at them as if it was rare. Finally, an article was written illustrating the problem which is the tip of the iceberg and once again you just brush it off.

Well, we know you sell Hondas for a living but have a little compassion when the facts are presented. Your illustration regarding your conversation with the transmission in for repair was tasteless at best. The outright denial really is perplexing to many of us here.
  • #3302 of 3308 2003 Honda Accord Buyers Beware by maltbie Sep 19, 2002 (11:54 am)
    I leased a 2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 two days ago and have discovered two defects since I acquired the car. One defect is on the right rear door. When shut, the bottom half of the door, closest to the rear tire, is not flush with the car. It sticks out about 1/8 inch. The left rear door is perfectly flush. My dealer could not fix the problem and is sending me to a body shop at an affiliate next week to try to fix it.

The other, more serious, problem is a defective steering wheel/column. It appears that the whole steering column is a few degrees off-kilter. The result is that when holding the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position, the left side of the steering wheel is further out from the dash board than the right side. My dealer acknowledged the problem this morning but said there was nothing they could do. They said they compared it with other 2003 Accords on the lot and that all of the them were the same way.

As you can imagine, I am not happy about this and will be pursuing a resolution to the problem with Honda.

Potential 2003 Accord buyers should be especially vigilant in examining their cars for these and other defects prior to signing any purchase or lease contracts.
    Isell,
    I don't think anyone is accusing you of being a liar. However when you present anecdotal evidence as "facts", then yes, there will be instances when others will call you either misinformed, biased, uninformed or "blind". 16,000 figure from Honda IS A FACT, a conversation with your dealer mechanic is not. At best, its a "hearsay". If you are trying to prove that this tranny problem is NORMAL, anecdotal evidence will not help us in getting this issue resolve.
  • I was one of the unfortunate ones that had two transmissions replaced in my V-6 Accord. My story is well documented right in this forum.

The second remanufactured transmission also failed. If that is any indication regarding the 6th generation transmission, it took Honda (I hope for the purchaser's sake) five years to correct it on the new 2003 Accord.

Isellhondas always indicated in this forum through his snide remarks that I kept repeating my story as if I was a "Honda Basher". The truth is I was warning others of the problem which now has come out nationally in the media. And from all indications, there will unfortunately be many more over the next two years.
  • th83th83 Posts: 164
    What symptoms was your tranny showing before you had it replaced the first time? I ask because my car does some strange things and it only has 2250 miles on it. I'd say 75% of the time it behaves properly but in the other 25% it acts up.

Here are my symptoms:

1. Sometimes it shifts roughly, especially from 1st to 2nd. This mainly happens when the engine is cold but it has happened well after warm up.

2. I've also had this shuddering problem that has happened twice so far. The car acts confused and starts shaking as the torque converter locks and unlocks rapidly. At least that's what it feels like. It could be trying to decide between 3rd and 4th gears. It does it for about 5-10 seconds.

3. The car also seems to hesitate slightly before upshifts, which may be normal as I was used to a very quick tranny in my '91 Legend.

The car does make very smooth and timely downshifts which leads me to believe that 2/3 of my symptoms are normal for the '02 4-speed auto.

But I still have to wonder. Could my transmission be affected? My car was manufactured in June so I might have one of the weak transmissions. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002-09-20-honda-warranty_x.htm

"Honda said Thursday that it will extend the warranty on vehicles with a problem transmission to seven years/100,000 miles."

"The extended warranty applies to 2000-01 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2000-01 Honda Accord cars with automatic transmissions; 2000-01 Prelude; and 2000-03 Acura CL and TL cars."

I noticed that the article said the extension didn't include the 2002 V6 Accords like Mike Spencer had in the LA Times article, but included I4 automatics. I'm guessing only the V6s are involved and includes 2002 since the 1 million number was used, but we will need to wait for the letter to be certain what the offer is. Hopefully this means Honda has narrowed down where the problem is and can eliminate saftey concerns with information on how to determine if there is a problem before complete failure occurs.

• THANK YOU! That's great news! But I wonder how I go about getting this extended warranty? I have had my Accord into the dealer three times in the last two years complaining about the lockup/slipping problem between 3rd & 4th gear. Will this be enough? I doubt I'll get a letter since my tranny hasn't failed (yet). Any helpful hints on how to proceed?
  • Here is another article from AutoWeek: http://www.autoweek.com
    (Sorry, the link was too long to post. But the article is on the front page under the Car News section)

Vehicles covered by the extended warranty include:

2000 - 2001 Honda Accord, Odyssey and Prelude

2000 - 2002 and some 2003 Acura 3.2 TL

2001 - 2002 and some 2003 Acura 3.2 CL

While only two percent of these vehicles have experienced these transmission problems, American Honda will provide extended transmission warranties on all potentially affected vehicles. "Our priorities are making sure our customers are taken care of and reassured they can continue to depend on their Honda or Acura automobile for a long time to come," said Tom Elliott, executive vice president for American Honda."

Still no word on if this means only V6 transmissions, though. Both of the articles quoted Honda as saying any 2000 - 2001 automatic transmission Accord, Odyssey, and Prelude owner. I imagine that details about whether it transfers or is limited to original buyers, etc. will come out in the letter.

It is interesting that AutoWeek's version stated that "There is usually plenty of warning to the driver that the transmission is not operating properly, such as slow or erratic shifting, giving them ample time to take the vehicle in for service."

They finally addressed the relative safety question in my mind - hurray!!!!
    However, its quite disturbing that 2002 models are not covered by this warranty extension. I just hope that its only a typo or if its not then Honda should explain the technical details regarding the changes that they made with the 2002 transmissions.
  • Does anybody know what happens if one already has a 7yr/100K extended warranty? Will Honda reimburse the "transmission portion" of the price paid for this warranty?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,702
    I have only shared my personal opinions and observations in these forums.

You, on the other hand seem intent in slamming Hondas...that's fine. It is easy to spread fear and panic in a public forum and if that is your intension, you are doing a good job.

I still maintain...the VAST MAJORITY of the owners of these cars won't have problems. That is my only point.

It does now appear that Honda has recognized these isolated problems and is taking responsibility. I am very happy to see this happen.

vrmac...I agree...sharing my personal observations is, indeed, non emperical fact and is based strictly on what I see. I have never denied that there have been transmissions with problems. All transmissions will have an ocassional glitch. I do see now that perhaps these problems were greater than I thought.

rbruehl, even though your troubled Honda is long gone and has been replaced with a Toyota, you continue to lurk in these forums and take every opportunity to tell and retell your tired story of woe over and over and over. I don't understand your crusade..that's all.
  • .. for posters like rbruehl, and obviously many others, who have crusaded until Honda has finally decided to do something about this problem. Quote from the USA Today article: "The moves came after angry owners swamped online forums and appealed to the NHSTA for a safety recall ....". Isell, you don't have to understand. It's hard for anyone to understand another's position unless they're in that same postion too. Nobody was asking a salesperson to intercede for them because we all realize that you would probably be powerless to help, even if you agreed with the issue. They were hoping that NA Honda was listening, and apparently they were. What's ironic is that you may have actually helped, at least in this forum, by your constant rebuttals. Without them, some posters here may not have been so vocal, myself included. Listen, I mean you no disrespect and I can somewhat understand your perspective, but not totally because I'm not wearing your shoes either.

As far as Honda bashing goes, I don't think anyone is here to bash just for the sake of doing it. I suppose I could be wrong, but the vast majority of us are here looking for answers. Personally, I love my Accord - I've stated it several times over. It's halfway paid off and I want to keep it for a good long time. The reason I bought it was for the bulletproof Honda reliability. Aside from a few annoying rattles, it's served me well for 32K miles. My '99 went just over 50K miles before I traded it. They really are fantastic vehicles. But this tranny issue concerned me greatly, and many others as well, whom I'm sure would've loved to have nothing but praise for an otherwise praiseworthy vehicle.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    as I expected, and before it got out of hand like to Toyota oil sludge problem. I do wonder though, why the extended warranty only applies to the year and models listed. Weren't the exact same transmissions used in other model years for the Accord besides 2000 & 2001?
  • You said the dealer was going to send your accord to a body shop to fix the door that was 1/8" out. If that fix involves new paint-be careful if u plan to keep the vehicle for several years-the durability of body shop paint jobs-particularly those done on "warranty" work tends to be awful-know that only tooo well.

Once watched a guy on an auto production line line up doors-he had a 2x4 with some carpet on it and he just jammed it into the door hinge area and sprung the door against the 2x4 until the fit was right. Now that took some kind of skill-probably would not work on today's value engineered vehicles.
  • ... what's your take on how these letters will reach us? I'm assuming that this information will be gathered from the dealerships, but I'm wondering if maybe we should all phone our dealers to make sure Honda knows how to find us.
  • ...I'm a regular consumer like everyone else, so I'm afraid that I have no inside information to offer. I, too, am assuming that Honda is going through their databases as we type.

But I see your point - how will you know if you are left off the list? If you want my opinion, well then...

I don't think you need a letter like you would with a recall, because Honda isn't scheduling vehicles for repair and isn't loading up on parts. I assume you will be covered like your regular warranty, except longer if the transmission is involved.

The wording "all potentially affected vehicles" suggests all you have to do drive in with a 2000 - 01 Accord, and if you have a tranny problem before 7 years and 100K on the odometer, you're covered. Now if your dealer service rep can't tell if it's an '00 - '01 Accord, well, head elsewhere!

In the meantime, let's keep an eye on these boards. I'm betting someone will post the contents of their letter soon after it arrives.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck!
  • First, I want to address isellhondas stating that I lurk in these forums. It is this type of attitude and arrogance that indicates you have no concern for others and their problems. I posted my transmission problems and the first reply from you was of a very heartless nature. You are always concerned when others imply that you are a liar but you sure like to dispel others actual problems as if they do not exist or are far and in between. Someone termed you the "resident gadfly" of this forum and it fits you to the TEE! Anytime someone posted a problem regarding a transmission, you went on a personal crusade as if it was sponsored by Honda's marketing department to dispel any rumors of transmission problems. In short sir, you are one heartless individual with an ego that is the size of the "Goodyear Blimp". As a car salesman, you chose the right profession.

To conclude, if I can help anyone with their transmission problems regarding what I experienced first hand, THAT IS WHY I POST IN THIS FORUM!

Now to answer the other posters problems regarding what I encountered with my first transmission:

1. I starting to hear a loud "clunk sound" when I would put the car in reverse. This never happened before which I at first though was something else.

2. When accelerating from 1st to 2nd gear, I noticed hesitation. This hesitation became more pronounced and coincided with the "clunk sound" within days of each other.

3. About a month later, I noticed hesitation in all gears. I immediately had the transmission fluid changed to see if that would remedy the situation. By the way, I followed the maintenance schedule as indicated in the owners manual regarding transmission fluid changes. This was an extra change I thought would help. Honda transmission fluid was utilized in all changes.

4.Total failure occurred while I was driving out of my driveway. I put the car in reverse and heard the "clunk sound" which was loud. I shifted to drive and nothing---the engine just raced as if I was in neutral.

I conclude that there is some part in the transmission that wears out over time which causes failure. Most likely it is a design flaw by Honda that cannot be corrected.

I suggest that if anyone experiences these problems, to take your car to Honda immediately and have it documented. Honda service does know about the transmission problem from day one!
  • beachnut...consumer's report...Oct 2002 has a ref to what to do when your car needs repairs...you might check it out for some pointers...

Just a guess...maybe they aren't including the 2002's yet bkz they are covered for now under warranty...if there's a problem in the next 2 or 3 years..perhaps they will order a TSB or recall or fix the problem before it becomes one.

On another note...tho I have mixed feelings about having a brand new car and wondering if I have to worry about the big ticket items..I think we might see how Honda will handles this problem.
    I think that some of these boards are becoming too personal and critical when many of us just want a forum to exchange ideas or see where the problems lie. That's not to say problems don't exist, but seems like it would be more effective if there is a real problem for those people to write or email the NHTSA board.
  • Honda to extend warranty on some vehicles' transmissions

By Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

Honda said Thursday that it will extend the warranty on vehicles with a problem transmission to seven years/100,000 miles.

The company also said it will reimburse those owners who paid to have transmissions replaced.

The moves came after angry owners swamped online forums and appealed to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for a safety recall because of a transmission that could slip out of gear, not go into gear, abruptly downshift or refuse to shift.

The extended warranty applies to 2000-01 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2000-01 Honda Accord cars with automatic transmissions; 2000-01 Prelude; and 2000-03 Acura CL and TL cars.

Kudos go to Honda! I think this is only fair and shows they have faith in their cars. I am glad they did this because I have one of the afforementioned V6 trannys that IS giving me problems, but they insist nothing is wrong.
  • Even I have to admit that this transmission problem is more serious than I wanted to believe. Honda of Japan really goofed when they hired on those dead-beat Chrysler engineers. Oh, what a mistake that was.

Don't worry about it. Just hit the pavement and move on with the sales of the 03 Accords. Take a deep breath, and be thankful that your credibility isn't like a fart in a wind storm.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Now I see, even when Honda has a problem, it is Chryslers fault. Gimmee a break!!!!
  • If you're a Bucky Badger, then don't be caught dead driving a Honda in the southeast corner of the state. Unionized labor in Kenosha and Racine is still whining about the good old days of their AMC crapola production. At least Milwaukee folks can purchase a decent car at Wilde Honda.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Yes, I am a Badger fan living in the Milwaukee area, but I drive a Taurus and my wife's is a Caravan. Note I do not want to get into a rag on Honda-they are by and large good cars but no vehicle make is ever perfect. Just don't blame ex-Chrysler engineers for Honda's problems. I hope you were joking. (by the way our Caravan came from Wilde Dodge, and the Taurus from Best Ford/Mazda- they really price their Tauri low in this area).

So long. I peruse this site for entertainment purposes only.
  • I am glad that Honda finally decided to extend the warranty to 7 years/100,000 miles. I will not have to worry about my 2000 Odyssey now. How about 2002 V6s? I also have a 2002 EX-V6 Accord. I will assume that it is EXACTLY the same as the 2000/2001 V6 accords and why it is not part of the warranty extension? Hopefully Honda can shed some light on this!
  • What credibility? "Take a deep breath, and be thankful that your credibility isn't like a fart in a wind storm." It isn't---it is more like a fart in a hurricane. I just couldn't resist! Hope you are a good sport about this all isellhondas! You are also the "resident mark"!
  • ext25ext25 Posts: 32
    Too bad Honda didn't choose to fix the defect in the transmission.

Instead they are giving a warranty that is less than Hyundai or Kia's standard warranty and hoping people will accept it.

People are still going to be playing Russian roulette driving around in a Honda with these defective parts in the transmission, which by Honda's own admission are failing due to a defect.

Warranties don't solve defects.

Good customer service would.
This discussion has been closed.