Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    isellhondas,

Quick question. Could you help? Thanks.

03 LX V6 AT, 500 miles, 3 weeks new.

1. Shifts in low gear feels more jerk. After driving for a while, shifts more smoothly.

2. After stop-and-go traffic, car key is very warm.
    Are these normal behavior? Other than these two, my first new car seems to be doing pretty well.

Thanks again for the help.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    yeah, my experience has been that the honda automatic "lurches" into the next gear when cold and at light throttle application. seems true of most every honda car i've driven in the last few years. my '03 v6 coupe does the same.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    OH well, my warranty ended a few months back, and now at 38K miles, the whole dashboard rattles!!! That's Honda quality! Not to mention the leather(or vinyl) on the side bolsters of both front seats is slightly tearing(even though nobody sits in the passenger side seat).
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Well trade it and get something that's better for you.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Hard to tell but the transmission is probably fine. You only have 500 miles so things may still be tight.

Don't know about the key? I've never noticed this on any 03 that I've driven so you might want to ask your dealer.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Hi to all, As owner of a 02 cr-v lx a/t and having the same experience as 03lxv6, yes, the key on the v does get a littler hot to the touch.

Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    anonymous,

Wow! Good advice. I couldn't have dreamt that one up without your assistance.
    Thanks a lot for the information regarding shifting and warm key.

My car had only 5 miles when I first saw it. The label near the door jamb says it is made in 3/03 and dealer told me they got it on 03/19 and I bought it on 03/31. So I hope everything is fine.

I am quite scared by the recall of earlier models regarding the tranny problem. I was told once by a mechanic the ignition part was Honda's Achilles Heel. I do find out Honda has voluntary recalls on ignition switch for 1997 - 2000 models.

Thanks again.
  • pj23pj23 Member Posts: 158
    There was no recall of transmissions in earlier models. There was a voluntary warranty extension.

And the transmission in '03s is completely different than the auto in '98-'02 Accords, so I don't think that should be cause for your concern.
  • according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    in the acura line and the odys. BTW, I'm about to run out of my 100K extension in my '01. My "J" 4cyl still shifts smoothly and I have no complaints other than a few rattles and the fact that I had to replace 2 of the OEM Michelins @81K LOL. However the other 2 are hanging in their at 93K. Great longevity with the MXV4+s, but the Turanzas have much better wet traction.
  • honda_txhonda_tx Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Accord has been in the dealer for over three weeks! Took the vehicle in for hard to start problem, todate the dealer or Honda tech have no idea on how to correct my starting problem. At first the dealer service advisor told me it was bad gas..I said BS! Then they tried to convince me it was my key chain..BS to that also! Then they told me to drive the vehicle around until I get an engine light...Real BS! So far they have replace the fuel pump, injectors, ajusted engine value and now they are replacing the main computer module...Also the SRS (Air bag) light came on and my center console door is broken. This was my third honda..but may be my last one!! Has any one out there found a fix the the starting problem for 2003 EX, V6 Accord's. Thanks for any help!!
    Glad I could help.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    I suggest if you want "technical" advice, you would consult with Auburn on the other Honda board. A hot key in the ignition definitely indicates a wiring problem.
    lugwrench,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will ask Auburn about this.

My another car, which is Acura Vigor GS 1992, once stalled on the highway. Later I had the ignition stuff replaced and was told by the mechanic Honda's ignition stuff is not good. So I was very sensitive on this.
    The funny thing is that I went out to buy a Toyota, but the dealership treats me bad and the result is I got a Honda.
    Everything you hear out there!
  • mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    Frankly, I would value the expertise of a certified mechanic that works on Hondas everyday over a salesman. The Honda mechanic encounters all types of problems and fixes. Just my two cents but Auburn has provided many with some of the best advice regarding Honda Accord service problems.
  • unhappyinstlunhappyinstl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Honda EX V6 Accord 5 weeks ago. Within 2 weeks I had lost a quart of oil and was told my main rear seal was leaking and needed to be replaced. Voicing my concern that a new car should not have such a problem and that there were probably others problems, I was told that once this was replaced all would be well. They changed my rear main seal and the car still leaked oil. My accord has leaked oil since the day I took it home. It is in the shop again and now they have decided the engine bloc is bad. The casting is wrong and is porous, therefore leaking oil. I understand that there are problems with every manufacture and sometimes you just get a bad one. Honda has decided to just replace the bloc therefore using parts of the existing engine. I am very unhappy with Honda not standing behind their product, especially on the new improved engine and model. I don't feel that after five weeks of owning the car I should now have a re built engine and be made to absorb the depreciation. I bought a Honda for their quality and reputation. As of yet I have not seen either.

Has anyone else experienced a problem of this magnitude with their new 03 Accord or any other Honda model? If so, how was it resolved or what options were you given.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They take the head off the old engine and place it on a new lower end. It's standard procedure in a case such as yours. Exactly what the warranty was for.
    yeah, that's pretty much standard for all manufacturers. for instance if your tranny goes t*ts up, and the car only has 5k miles on it, you'll get a rebuilt tranny, not a new one. doesn't seem fair, but that is just the way it is!
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    When the transmission was replaced on my 2000 Accord V6, I didn't like the idea of them using a "rebuilt" transmission. Then someone explained to me that they were actually using a "remanufactured" transmission, which is a different thing.

A "rebuilt" transmission is one where they open up a failed transmission and replace the parts that failed, reusing most or all of the existing parts that didn't fail.

A "remanufactured" transmission is one where they open up a failed transmission, remove ALL of the parts and put all new components in the existing transmission housing. They do this because the transmission housing is one of the most expensive components in the transmission and can be used to house a new transmission as a cost saving measure. In other words, you're still getting a new transmission, just in an existing housing. That seemed reasonable to me.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    I would contact an attorney if you are really unhappy with your vehicle that needs an engine block replacement after 5 weeks. Is there a lemon law in your state of residence?

Honda should buy back the car if this has happened over 5 weeks. Consult an attorney regarding the laws of your state regarding product defects.

I wouldn't be happy either if I was you!
    Called dealer's service department today. Was told the key is expected to be warm due to electronic components. Was asked if I could not touch it because it was so hot. Well, I still can touch it but I feel it is very warm.

Will check out with some more friends. This is my first new Honda, hopefully not the last one.

By the way, g35coupe, I prefer calling it a short-change not a short-block with unhappyinstl's 5-week new Accord. What a joke.
    That's what he's getting. And the car will run as designed once it's repaired. No lemon law will save you there if the car performs as designed.
    03lxv6,

the metal part of my key does get warm, but the plastic part (where the transmiter is doesn't). i don't find it to be a concern...
    Have me feeling keys after driving Accords!

I don't know what people think is "hot" but I haven't felt any that were more than mildly warm.
  • yatittleyatittle Member Posts: 13
    I have two very minor problems and would like some input. 1) turn off key, leave doors open but alarm arms itself anyway after few minutes. Shouldn't happen, right?? 2) Upon going over even small bumps, a sound comes from above sun visor that sounds like someone is crinkling a candy bar wrapper. Accord LX, six weeks old and I love the car. Goodbye Chevys forever. PS- had doubts about buying a four cyllender, but it is great.
    emale and isellhondas,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I should correct myself. The key is very warm but not hot. (Maybe we will have to define what hot means like we need to define what sex means for Bill).

As emale said, the plastic part is not warm. The metal part is. So maybe it is normal.

Have a great day, guys.
  • rapatelrapatel Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone feel their cars are touchy on curves at 60+ on a highway? I got my 03 Accord EX-V6 just a few days ago and have to drive 40+ miles each way to work and feel the steering is not as variable as claimed. Seems to have a similar feel to normal "city" driving. The effort level should increase with speed, no? The normal level is fine for local roads though. Is this common or should I see if the dealer can look into it? Thanks for any info!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rapatel:

Have you checked your cold tire pressure with an accurate gauge? Is it as specified on the doorframe label? (Good) Or, did somebody pump it up to the number molded into the tires? (VERY Bad)
  • rapatelrapatel Member Posts: 8
    Well, the tires looked fine, but I checked and all
    were inflated to 38psi! The recommended inflation is 32psi front and 30psi rear. I lowered it to slightly above those levels and it made a huge difference! I told the sales guy about that. I will make sure it is closer to 32/30. It definitely is much better now. I guess they ship 38psi for some reason from the factory.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rapatel:

I would also let the Service Manager know about your dissatisfaction with the overinflation. Your new car should never have been delivered that way. They should have adjusted the pressures during their predelivery prep. Overinflation can cause skittish (read: dangerous) handling and excessive wear on the center of the tread of the affected tire(s).
    When we took delivery of our coupe. I wondered why the car drove so crappily and checked the pressures. Sure enough they were jacked waaay up.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    When a new car is shipped, the tires are over inflated in transit. Once they arrive at the dealership, the tires are suppose to be adjusted to the proper pressure as indicated on the door. It is part of the Honda checklist on delivery of a new vehicle. It sounds as if, someone went through the motions of checking off that the tire pressure was correct.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    I also think the accord V-6 steering is not up to par at speed on curves. I sold my 3.2 TL for this and that car is rock solid, while the accord steering goes here and there.

Otherwise after 9months I get 30 mpg in my highway driving at 75 mph. I have had no problems other than strange tire problem that was solved by switching front and rear.

Overall, I think the steering/wheels is the weak link in this car.
    Hello there,

Just found a dismal news at JD power:

initial mechanical quality rating:

03 Accord: 2/5
    03 Camry: 4/5

even 03 Altima has 3/5.
    I don't know what the rating was, but the 2002 Camry had lots of teething problems. So I'm sure their rating was pretty low as well. And they got over it... I'm sure Honda will, too.

As I said in the other thread, my 2003 EX V6 has been perfect so far (knock on wood), and JD Power never asked me for my rating.
  • lumpentlumpent Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 03 Accord 5spd since December and have about 4500 miles on it. I'm averaging about 240 miles per tank in the city. The couple of times i took hwy trips i got just about 400 miles. For a car that suggested it would get between 26 and 34 miles per gallon, this is pathetic. I'm looking at 14/23. I realize that each person's mileage will vary but that just seems way off (almost 50% off).

The dealer told me that it takes time to break in the car and that my mileage will improve with time. Is this true? Is there anything i should check/fix?

Thanks!
    per jd power,

the only problem that has bugged me about my '03 coupe is intermittent and various dash and headliner (sunroof?) rattles. i haven't had any mechanical issues to speak of, and really don't expect any. but i do find the on/off rattles irritating. and the outside temp sensor has issues, but once again not a big deal. i'm wondering if you guys that haven't noticed any rattles live in warmer climes??
  • pj23pj23 Member Posts: 158
    I get 400 miles of mixed driving out of a tank of gas before my low fuel light comes on (my car is an '03 EX I-4 manual). At that point I have at least 3 gallons left. If you are getting only 400 miles out of 17.1 gallons, then there is probably something wrong.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I've been getting about 21 mpg in my EX-V6, with a mix of city and highway driving. I have about 1000 miles on the car. That's a bit lower than I would like, but I do a lot of stop-and-go, around-town driving.
    I am getting 30MPG average from my 03 EX-L 5-speed. If you do alot of stop and go driving, especially in colder climates you will probably get below-average fuel economy.
    The MPG on my EX V6 pretty much mirrors yours, with similar driving conditions. Given the power and the fact that I got 28 MPG on a trip on interstate highways, I'm pretty much satisfied.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I work in two places, one is 15 min away and mostly city driving. The other is 35 min away and all highway. I have a '03 Accord EX-L sedan 5 spd 4 cyl with navi. I recently switched locations and here are my milage results (from the trip computer)...

City driving (avg 30 mph) about 26-27 mpg.
    Highway driving (avg 45-50 mph)about 30 mpg.

Of course the city numbers include some highway driving and vice-versa but overall I think these numbers are pretty close to the EPA estimates and I am very satisfied.

Another question...

Does anyone know if any of the features on the new Accord are programable. For example, can the computer be programed to provide daytime running lights? How about to open the sunroof in response to the all windows-down feature from the remote or to have the sunroof close with the all windows-up when you turn and hold the key to the right in the driver's door lock?

I know you can change these type of features in the new Mini's.
  • mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    initial mechanical quality rating:

03 Accord: 2/5
    03 Camry: 4/5

I would think that the 2003 Accord has more quality concerns than expected. I guess buying a new model the first year it is out isn't sound for any new car.
    Well, when a cupholder design that doesn't hold extra large cups is listed as a "quality concern" (happened to the Mini) and is weighted equally to something like "transmission failed", I wouldn't lose any sleep over these scores.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Actually, many new cars are better than the ones they replace. If you take a look at the JD Power press release, it says many consumers delay first-year models waiting for manufacturers to work the bugs out. Yet the reality is most new models are very good, and a few manufacturers have a pattern of launching new models with better initial quality than the cars they replaced. It mentions Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Chrysler as examples.

My family has ownerd several new, first-year models over the years, including a 1988 Honda Prelude, 1990 Lexus LS 400, 1991 Acura Legend and 2002 Lexus ES 300. All were phenominal cars with no problems at all.
    I've had no problems in 9300 miles of ownership.
    Were you ever contacted by JD Power to fill out a survey?
  • lumpentlumpent Member Posts: 6
    Seems that most everyone is getting somewhere between 23-30 mpg and that includes most people with V6's. This leads me to think that my 13 MPG is extremely low. I live in a warm climate and don't stop or go any more than most. (i've got a 3 mile commute), and my 94 accord 5spd was getting around 23 for the same trip/driving style. With the dealer having essentially given me the brush off, can anyone suggest a course of action? If you don't think 13 MPG is bad, can we trade cars?

Thanks!
  • bburton3bburton3 Member Posts: 185
    To get that much gas thru a honda-even a v6-it has got to be making black exhaust clouds-the exhaust should have a really sharp smell. Also that much gas will fry the cat in a hurry. Does it miss when the engine is cold. Check the mileage again-if correct some is really wrong with the car-at that mpg it is a wonder it even runs. My 97 I4 was running slightly rich and it caused the engine to stumble/miss when cold.
This discussion has been closed.