Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• bestdeal3bestdeal3 Member Posts: 11
  • robertt261robertt261 Member Posts: 4
    I have had my new Accord for 4 - 5 weeks. Just today I noticed a crack in the front windshield. It is in the lower left hand corner on the driver's side. It is about 6 inches long and extends up from the corner at a 45 degree angle. The car hasn't been hit with anything. I am wondering if it could be a stress crack and can be fixed under warranty.

Thanks
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I doubt you will get warranty coverage on a cracked windshield. But if you have insurance, it should be covered under comprehensive (low deductable).
  • wildman63wildman63 Member Posts: 27
    I got dinged by a rock while my new Accord still had the paper plates on it. Had it repaired (not replaced) by insurance without deductable.

Not sure how you know you weren't hit (mine was really obvious when it happened). Haven't heard of stress cracks in Accord windshields, but it could happen I guess.
    It seems to me that a stone striking the windsheild would be something I would notice. And it should result in chipping around the crack at the impact point. There is no chipping.
    This is not to be argumentative, but to focus the discussion.
    I am grateful for your comments.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    There's no reason that you couldn't try to make the case to your dealership's Service Manager. If you are denied warranty coverage, demand to have it escalated to the Honda Zone Representative.
    Sometimes a rock or something will hit your windshield, and if you don't actually see it hit, or see the damage, you will forget about it. This happened to me before. Your case could be totally different.

Insurance will pay for 100% of a windshield repair, but will charge a comprehensive deductable for replacement. I had a tiny star fixed on my Accord, it didn't cost me anything. It's the insurance's way of getting you to fix small stars before, they have to pay for a replacement. They actually come out ahead that way.
  • various_animalvarious_animal Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same crack show up on my new 2006 accord hybrid I just bought 2 weeks ago. I took it for a trip to Canada and it gold in some cold weather and now the crack showed up in the lower drivers side windshield. First it was 3 inches and now it's moving towards the center of the windshield. This is definately a defect - as it started from the side and there are no rock chips and we did not get any stones hit us on our trip.
    I bet there are a lot of other accord owners seeing this same crack show up and they are just opting for insurance to cover it. I'm taking pictures and heading in to the dealer. Thanks for posting this. It may help validate others are having the same issue.
    If there is no evidence of some object striking the windshield, you may have some luck with the warranty. I would not put too much faith in this working out though. Your Insurance will only charge a comprehensive deductable (usually about $100). A small star can be fixed, I think if the crack is longer than 6" the windshield has to be replaced. You need to find out if it can be repaired, before the crack gets too long. Make sure if the windshield is replaced, that it is done by a reputable auto glass shop.
  • te1963te1963 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Accord EX with a buzz apparently coming from the driver's door pillar (in my left ear) Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas of a fix short of taking it in?
  • dondavisdondavis Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased a new 07 Accord 4dr. I noticed that the rear doors are not a very good fit when closed. The driver side rear door is worse than the passenger side, but neither look especially pretty. The edge of the driver side door appears to stick out from the rest of the car a little.
    ">
    I see some other Accords like this, and some look OK. Just wondering if this is an easy fix or is it for life ?

Am I just being too finicky here ?

(if anyone is interested I can email a picture, I don't have one on a host site to paste here)

thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You can post the jpg picture in your carspace photo alblum, and then put a link to it in the forum
    Thanks, I'm new here, didn't realize I could do that - will give it a try now :)
    Looks like I succeeded
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    maybe it's me. i don't see any of those images posted in the messages.
    Yes, I can see the pictures just fine.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If the door gaps look OK, but the door isn't adjusted flush to adjacent sheetmetal, then the adjustment is easy.

The door strike will need a slight adjustment "IN" to bring the door "IN". The door strike is the U shaped silver catch located in the door jam. The 2 phillips screws need to be loosened, and the strike moved in the distance the door needs to be moved in.

I would think the dealer will handle the adjustment under warranty.

Mrbill
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Depending on your browser "view image" or "show picture" (or something similar) might show them for you. I didn't see them at first, but after I did that I could.
    I actually think the door edge needs to drop slightly. You have a wider gap at the top, than at the bottom.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's what I see, too. You need to shim out the top hinge I think. A body shop can do this of course. it's kind of a pain, takes some time.
    If it was 6 years old, I'd have my big fat aunt Thelma hang on it. But being as it's brand new, schedule time at the dealer to fix.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Given that both the rear doors have similiar gaps, I am willing to bet my money that that gap has been part of the design...to accomodate the door guard rubber strip comfortably!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    how about some side view pictures?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My thoughts exactly. The pics are too much from an angle, they need to be taken straight on. It's too hard to tell if the character lines follow as they should from the door to the rear quarter panel to check if the door is high or not.

Mrbill
    What would really show the gap is a shot from next to the taillight. The door can be adjusted though (hinges and latch), so if it is off, it can be fixed.
    Yea, actually sighting down the quarter panel to the door will show better if things are aligned, but it can be a pain sometimes getting the camera to focus where you want it to.

At least the Accord uses bolt-on hinges, not like the welded on hinges some other cars use. Those must be fun to adjust.

Mrbill
    Thanks for the input

yeah, when I posted the pics all three were visible to me. Now that I come back the first one is just a red x in a small box.

The driver side looks a lot worse from the rear (the pass side is actually acceptable -just - because it does not stick out from the body). I've looked at a lot of Accords recently (becoming door crack obsessed)and while some are not perfect, most are very good, and some are not so good. Looks like rushed assembly to me. Mine is the worst I've seen.

Most cars these days have doors that fit so well that the side of the car almost looks like one continiuous panel. I expected better from Honda.

I've had a couple of people tell me that my rear driver side door is not closed properly (that's how it looks when coming up on the car from behind on the driver side). I think that moving it in a little would probably make it look a lot better. Don't know if I should try this myself or just let the dealer take care of it (means a 40m each way trip, and a wait)

To be blunt, it looks like crap at the moment - i.e. a bad crash repair job. Thankfully it seems like an easy fix. Other vehicle (a GM) looks much better.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I'm sure that your dealer will have the job done to your satisfaction.

Your concerns reflect the need for all of us to not fall in love with a particular vehicle. In order to be satisfied with our selection it is incumbent upon each of us to carefully inspect the vehicle BEFORE signing the contract.
    I collected this one after dark. Worked on the assumption that Hondas were perfect. Didn't know about this site then. Still, seems like with just a little inconvenience it will be fixed. Just wish the dealer had looked it over better :(
    with this new information, it may be that the lock latch might need to be pushed towards the inside to prevent it from latching on too early!
    I think the pass side door is just about acceptable - not as good as you'd expect on a Honda, but acceptable.

I used a credit card straight edge to ascertain how the doors aligned with the body. The pass side rear door is just about flush, but the driver side rear door sticks out about 1/8" +. I didn't measure the gap, just guestimated. It clearly needs an adjustment. Will call the dealer and see what they say.
    wow!

After this post, I started looking at 2005/06 Accord and Camry and saw that even the 2004 Camry has really wide gaps betweeen the pillars and the doors, especially the rear ones. I drive a 2003 Mazda6 and the fit is way better on that car than these revered Camrys. check it out here

if you do not see the image, try this link
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401028_61_full.j- - - - pg

To top it, this level of fit is achieved by the unionized Labor at the Auto-alliance plant at Flat Rock Michigan where it was built.
    I started the thread about a wndshield crack a few months ago. Sorry for the delay in reporting back.
    When I took my car to the dealer, the Service Manager ran the point of a ballpoint pen along the crack until it seemed to snag. He said that was the point of impact. I tried it and wasn't sure whether it snagged or not. Anyway, I had the windshield replaced - Cdn$600 - and my insurance didn't cover it because I have a high deductible.
    Not a great start with a new car, but a really like the car - it is the poor man's Lexus.
    I had a ride in a 2003 Mazda 6 and it felt like a very solid car. The Ford connection put me off buying one, but since I recently been looking closely at body fit, the Fords are way better than the Hondas
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Or maybe the poor man's Acura. ;)
  • andrzejcalgaryandrzejcalgary Member Posts: 5
    2006 Accord clutch slipping. My Accord's clutch with only 32500 km and mostly hwy driving, is slipping and needs to be replaced at cost of ~$1300. This is an experience of a driver with ~600 K km and 4 other Accords with manual transmission never having any problem with the clutches. Still owns 91 Accord with 312 K km and original clutch. Dealer service manager is not prepared to cover replacement saying clutch it's not covered, not interested in finding real root cause of this failure implying driving habits to a senior driver with 32 years of driving manual Hondas.
    2006 Accord clutch slipping. My Accord's clutch with only 32500 km and mostly hwy driving, is slipping and needs to be replaced at cost of ~$1300. This is an experience of a driver with ~600 K km and 4 other Accords with manual transmission never having any problem with the clutches. Still owns 91 Accord with 312 K km and original clutch. Dealer service manager is not prepared to cover replacement saying clutch it's not covered, not interested in finding real root cause of this failure implying driving habits to a senior driver with 32 years of driving manual Hondas.
    But when you faced with a real problem you really get pissed off. Keep reading ....
    When I start my V6 auto there is a strange noise about 5 to 7 seconds after the engine starts. Sounds like something engaging / disengaging in the engine compartment. Not a bang, more of a dragging noise lasting about a second. Does this hot or cold. Can be felt through the pedals too.
    I wonder if andrzejcalgary is having trouble with his clutch.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It looks like the computer duplicated it 4 times!
    They look like separate replies to me... and he started another thread with the same message.
  • terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    I just got back from looking at a 2007 Honda Accord made in Mexico. I don't know about you but I would NEVER buy a Mexican made Accord. There can not be the same quality as an American made Accord. Be careful with the country of manufacturer or look for a "3" as the first letter in the VIN number.Who wants a car with the labor rate of $1.50 per hour? The car has to be of poor workmanship. :mad:
    andrzejcalgary meet terrypm1.

terrypm1 meet andrzejcalgary.
    Mine was made in OH. Not especially good quality.

Wonder who is building the ones in Mexico - all the Mexicans seem to be here !
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    My diagnosis is a clutch problem.
    You really cannot declare that a car built in any specific place is of "poor workmanship" simply because of a labor rate or a country of origin. Do you own an Accord that you feel has quality control issues? It doesn't sound like you do, but if that's the case, let's talk about the specific quality control issues (the topic of this discussion) and not make sweeping assumptions and insinuations without any concrete experiences to back them up.
    This discussion is supposed to be about manufacturing quality control problems. If you are experiencing a specific mechanical problem with which you'd like some help, please locate the proper Maintenance & Repair discussion depending on the generation of your Accord. Check the Accord group list or use the search features on the left.
This discussion has been closed.