Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jaysterjayster Member Posts: 3
    You really did well. I think I got hosed somewhat. Jayster
  • chud2001chud2001 Member Posts: 36
    familyguy-
    That's fantastic. Seems like you did great with little trouble.

tpavan-
    25k OTD is aggresive but might be attainable if you have the time and tolerance.

Good luck to you.
  • pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    I just signed an order for a 2009 Touring w/o PAX for $34,000 + $500 documentation fee. Tax is around $2k here in KY, so OTD I am at $36,500. The dealer, Sam Swope in Richmond, KY, does not have the color (Sterling Gray) we want in stock, but is in the process of locating one. They just wouldn't budge on the doc fee, but did lower the price on the van to get me where I wanted to be. All in all, it took me 20 minutes from the time I walked into the showroom till the time I signed the order. I had already price checked on the Internet and these guys matched the out-of-town dealers' prices that I already had in hand. Probably could have waited till the end of the month to save a few hundred bucks, but for me, it wasn't worth it.
  • spamnotspamnot Member Posts: 7
    Read and benefited from many of your posts, so here's the payback: my location: Orange Cty Southern CA, sales tax = 8.75% (ouch, but we only have ourselves to blame since we keep electing those tax & spend politicians...; but that's another story)

Started w/ EXL w/ NAV & RES. Emailed a dozen dealers. Half didn't even reply. The other half had prices (all incl destination) from $31100 to $31800. Dealer fees vary but OTD incl TTL would be around $34500 to $35300. I never got to the prices folks mentioned here (from Maryland, Boston, ...) of $29500 - $30500. I thought Southern CA is a competitive buyers' market but guessed wrong.

Decided against it because believe it or not, no one has that model in Taffeta White. So switched gear to a White Touring w/o PAX. If dealer on-line inventory is to be believed there are only 4-5 cars within a 50 mile radius of where I live. I don't want any other color.

Dealer quotes came back from between $34900 to $35100. Again w/ TTL and dealer fees. OTD was between $38400 to $38500. Again couldn't get anywhere close to what folks were seeing on this forum where prices mentioned range between $33500 to low $34k.

I didn't buy any accessories. No trade in. Paid cash, no financing. That could be a reason for not getting better price because dealers got one less venue to make $$$ on this deal.

I'm considering Honda Care, didn't buy on the spot at dealer. Sleep on it first...

All in all I don't think I did too badly but certainly not among the best deals you guys were seeing on the other side of the country.

Regards and good Odyssey hunting.
  • ali18ali18 Member Posts: 4
    I guess i did ok. The OTD price for me was alittle under 32,000, The dealer gave me the sob story of only making about $100 on the sales.
  • mynuacctmynuacct Member Posts: 21
    Does the NAV package contain bluetooth in EX-L? The Honda website lists bluetooth as a separate feature than NAV on touring and I did not find bluetooth mentioned in the NAV package. While I have seen lots of posts and reviews mentioning that NAV package comes with bluetooth.
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Hi mynuacct,

I looked at the 2009 Honda Odyssey brochure that I got. It says the EXL with Navi does have the standard features for Bluetooth HandsFreeLink. So, I believe it does.
    ;)
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Hi HOdysyhunter,

There are a few more recent articles on this topic (one link posted below,) but it doesn't sound like the Odyssey will qualify for the program. As the bill sits right now (for passenger cars which includes minivans,) you need to trade a car that gets less than EPA combined 18mpg for a car that gets more than EPA combined 22mpg. The Odyssey LX & EX are rated by the EPA at 18mpg combined and the EX-L and Touring are rated at 20mpg combined. On www.fueleconomy.gov, it looks like the only minivan that would qualify is the Mazda5, but that is a much smaller vehicle.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/2009/05/congrees-nearing-agreement-on-- cash-for-clunkers.html
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Thank you for the information Dad2Be. My current car that I want to trade in is Ford Tarus 97. As you said, it seems to be my options are bery bleak here.
  • 12ka412ka4 Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks,
    I got a dealer quote of $31,000 plus taxes ..it comes to $32460 OTD. Do you all think it is a good deal? Please let me know ASAP. I want to buy it tomorrow.

thanks in advance for all the responses.
    Hey guys,

I'll be buying the minivan tomorrow morning OTD ~$32K included free installed wheel locks. Yeah!!!
    :shades:
  • cleverstarcleverstar Member Posts: 23
    Hi familyguy9, did you get your car today? Is it bandnew? How many miles does it have? So their 195 Admin/Doc fee doesn't include title/registration? Did you pay cash or do finance?
  • driveindrivein Member Posts: 15
    We bought at the end of April and our price was comparable to yours. We got the mud guards thrown in on that price. As for the extras, the salesman threw in free oil changes and was willing to sell us mats, etc. at cost.
  • carolguancarolguan Member Posts: 2
    Hi, rileydog,
    It's a nice deal!
    I'm in MD and also want to buy a EXL with RES. Could you please let me know the dealer and representative who offer you this OTD price and the quote? my email is haiyingg@hotmail.com.
  • ernurse1ernurse1 Member Posts: 6
    Here are the quotes from Penske Honda in Indianapolis IN
    First price is msrp, second price is their Internet price

2009 ODYSSEY MSRP

INTERNET

LX $27,025.00
    $22,160.27

EX $30,125.00
    $24,961.54

EX-L $33,825.00
    $28,304.99

EX-L RES $35,425.00
    $29,750.80

EX-L RES/NAV $37,625.00
    $31,738.79

TOURING RES NAV $41,175.00
    $34,946.70

TOURING RES NAV & PAX $41,775.00
    $35,488.88

The internet price includes the destination charge of $670.00 and the Mud Guard Protection Package (a $165.00 value). Pricing does not include the sales tax or fees and may not be eligible with any finance or lease specials.
    Hi Spamnot,

AMG! Sorry to hear that! I couldn't believe the quotes you got from Southern CA were that high. I wish I could help a bit. I live in Northern Va. In fact, I'll be buying the 2009 EXL Navi/DVD this morning (in 3 hours) OTD with free installed wheel locks (including dest, taxes, etc) for <$32K in MD. Prices are fixed, all in B&W (emails). Plus, I'll get free lifetime oil changes and 15% scheduled maintenance at that dealership. Maybe I could even get a better deal than that (since my closest Honda dealer would like to offer me a better deal & save me a trip over there). Since I need more options to come with it: splash guards, all season floor mats, cargo net besides.
    Are you sure you did all the search in your area? Or, maybe you have any corporate discount, like Costco or UBS?
    To be honest, the price quotes I got so far are way beyond those Costco or UBS programs.
    I'm satisfied for the price and the minivan. Good Luck!
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    CKRAHE,

Can you please forward me the email quote you got from Jim Coleman?

caggs1@gmail.com

I'm ready to get a EX today.
  • drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    Not true in Georgia.
  • cshondacshonda Member Posts: 12
    purchased EX in SFL this week. Price breakdown was:
    6.50 tire/battery fee (FL)
    590 dealer svc fee
    1,460 tax
    240 tag/title (new tag)
    25,989 out the door

Visited places near month end Apr and tried to beat that by a few hundred, but aparently 26 otd or 25.9 with tag transfer instead of new tag is the best they are willing to do in SFL. Trade in not part of the deal.
    Hey Folks,

Yeah!! I finally fulfilled my dream. OMG!!! It's so nice. I should have bought it 2 years ago. Very quiet, nice, and smooth while driving! Excellente! Just bought it this morning in MD. Did buy the 8 years/120K miles extended warranty (got a price match from the net by dealership for $1495) and got the options I wanted --- Cargo net, splash guards, all season floor mats, pinstripe, wheel locks. In addition, we also purchase from the dealer for exterior coat painting protection (outside and bottom of the car). All together OTD for ~$34K. The color I chose ext. Sterling gray with interior gray color. Did finance thru the dealer for 3 years/2.9%. What a deal I got!

We just went for a short drive together with kids and in-laws. Everybody love it!
    My kids got their own DVD player while driving and we got our Navi with voice activated and 6 CD player for the road. It's the very first minivan we bought so far and love it so much and will drive it more for travelling.

It was a pleasant visit to the dealership this morning. Very smooth and the best ever visit to a dealership with all paparwork ready (price quoted and negotiated a bit for options that I added). Also, the dealer did a big favor for us by matching the Honda Dealer's extended warranty price with the net quote I got from the web.

I highly recommended everyone who's living in metro DC to this dealership: Ourisman Honda of Bethesda, MD. Benefits: Lifetime free Oil Change Services and 15% off Scheduled Maintenance!

Salesperson: Richard Sears (very thoughtful and sweet). He told me to give him a personal evaluation in a few days for how he did (from the grading 1 the lowest to 5 the highest), I told him I would give him a 10 instead! :P

It's our 10th anniversary and Mother's Day, so my hub just wanna buy me a car (hopefully it will last for another 15 years until our 25th anniversary). What a great deal!! :shades:
  • davidnewtdavidnewt Member Posts: 5
    You seem to get a much better deal than me. I just got the 09 Odyssey EX with added window tint for $26700 drive-out. I am in Houston and this seems to be the lowest I could get in Houston area. The good part is that the dealership offers lifetime powertrain warranty (no time or mile limit).
  • ineedaminivanineedaminivan Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2009 Odyssey EX-L in West Allis today. The dealer was Schlossmann's. Great to deal with. Out the door price was $29,034. So everything except for the sales tax(5.1%) was $27,553. I think that's a pretty good price.
    Looks exactly what I saw in southern CA for EXL w/ Nav & Res and Touring.
    Congrats lyao! Happy Mother's day.
    Could you please give us a break down of the OTD price?
    So often, the dealer quotes you the price and delivery as one price and you don't add in the taxes, doc fees, etc until the sit down talks.
    I am close to buying an EXL RN, waiting for a cherry red.
    Hoping to get the best deal and maybe talking the sales rep into extras. :)

Thanks so much!!
    I got my new ody today.
    However, I found this on my window sticker after home:

FOR THIS VEHICLE
    Final Assembly Point:
    USA

Country of Origin: Engine:
    USA

Transmission:
    USA

How about you guys' 09 Ody, all in USA?
    All US bound Odysseys are assembled in America.
    But shouldn't at least my Engine Origination be Japan?
    Do all US Odys have engines made in USA or is it just mine, and you guys all get engines imported directly from Japan?

Is that why some dealers sell cheap odys (because all in USA) while some others insist higher prices (because engine imported from Japan)?
    Hi lyao,
    Congrats on your new odyssey. Do post your experiences with the van.
  • milwaukeevanmilwaukeevan Member Posts: 1
    ineedaminivan,

I am planing to buy a Van from Honda city too. Any tips? Did you you have to negotiate much at honda city? how much more they were asking for EX-L with Res. Who was the salesman or was it internet quote? Thanks
    BTW, did you read earlier posts on honda warranties in this forum. At saccucci honda 8yrs/120k warranty is $1060 ($100 deductible) and $1160 ($0 deductible). I think you get 30 days to cancel the warranty with full money back and you can also take it at a later date again.
  • pray4allpray4all Member Posts: 15
    your price is wrong, that's for 7y/120k

for 8y/120k it's $1235 (0 deductible)

forget about the $100 deductible plan, it requires $100 deductible every time you need the service
    Hi mynuacct,

We did went to www.myhondawarranty.com and printed out all info.
    But did realize they got a lawsuit from American Honda. The judge had overturn the case. Now, the American Honda has the right to not approving online purchase for Honda Extended Warranty thru Saccucci. We kinda afraid what if we paid for it, later American Honda won't agree to it.

Also, we did get to another site for $1295 8years/120K $0 deductible from www.bernadiwarranty.com This site is better, got no lawsuit from American Honda. We even printed out to show the dealership. Just for the safe site, we think $200 extra wasn't really a big deal to us since we'll have piece of minds for another 8 years.

Next, our auto insurance company GEICO also has the Mechanical Breakdown program for this particular vehicle for up to 7 years/100K miles. We did quoted the GEICO, they only charge $40 for 6 months up to 7 years/100K miles which ever comes first but this has $250 deductible. We afraid after 3 years and maybe 1 time auto mechanical repairs, they might backup and says got to raise our insurance premium (even if they kept on telling me they won't do that).

Compared to what I already negotiated by having $7000+ discount (It's a bless to us) from the auto MSRP. We were way beyond what other people paying for.

Before we buy the contract, we asked. We know we could have 60 days for full refund by cancelling the Extended Warranty from my dealership. But if we cancalled and buy it from Bernadi (safer with no lawsuit) for the same vehicle, Bernadi is going to charge us for another $165 just to backup the contract purchasing from our dealership (rules from American Honda).

We don't think we wanna do that! Since we'll have piece of minds for another 8 years (100% sure no back up contract by all Honda dealers).

My hub has UBS auto buying program from his corporate. We even have Costco Auto Buying program. We did quote the dealership and the sales showed us the price, our OTD at least $2,500 lower than that! Plus, we'll get free lifetime oil changes (we're talking ~$1,000+ savings in the long run), 15% off scheduled maintenance for lifetime.

We did not quote for base price for 2009 Honda Odyssey EXL RN, since we could hardly figure out what's the OTD prices would be (with different charges from different dealership & different states --- MD & VA). So, we only wanted to deal with the OTD pricing with different dealerships for piece of minds.

There's a benefit for us to buy in MD since they got a law that they could only charge customers for a max of $100 dealer processing fees and 3% (instead of 3.17%) taxes for Va residents.

We think we did great! Thanks for your suggestion though. We would love to hear more news about saving money.....

Btw, we still couldn't figure out how to set up the HomeLink with our Garage Door Opener. :confuse: Maybe we will try trouble shooting today and see.
    If not, we will contact our dealership for more info.
    Can anybody pls tell us how to set this HomeLink?

Last night we drove to GW Parkway near DC Reagen National Airport. The weather was nice. The Odyssey even nicer (both navi and the auto dimming mirrior will auto adjust the brightness when dark). The engine was great! Very smooth and quiet. The speakers were great compared to regular Toyota Sienna 120 watt speakers! We felt like we're hearing the concert inside our luxury minivan (leather seats). Very Romantic (by looking at the nightview of Washington DC and watching the airplane came up and down to the airport)! :P

Even though we wish to install the backup sensor (it's going to cost $800+) and fog lights ($500+), think of the cost we gave up. Yea, we can still survive without them though.

Lorraine Yao
    Hi ernurse1

What's your email? Maybe I could forward the quotes to you (I don't have the base price though).
    Let me know if interested. Then, I'll forward the quotes to you.
    Thanks and same to you ---> Have a wonderful Mother's Day!
    Do you live in metro DC?
    The OTD price that I got was for VA residents (3% taxes, $670 dest fees, up to $100
    dealer processing fees, VA TTL).
    Good luck!

Lorraine.
    Hi Lorraine,

Thanks so much. I would appreciate the help. I live in Indiana, but I can use the information to help me get a low price here in the midwest.
    carolxwintersx@hotmailx.com
    Take out the X's (trying to prevent the spam).

Thanks again and congratulations on your purchase.

Carol
  • rileydogrileydog Member Posts: 7
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been a little crazy this week. I've been working with lori at First Team Honda, she has been wonderful and the dealership is top notch. There has never been any pressure to buy just the numbers I've asked for. I would be willing to see if they would come down a bit if we bought together, let me know. If you want to go in together and see if we can get a better deal let me know. Please send me a message at susanrisa at earthlink dot net.
  • rileydogrileydog Member Posts: 7
    If you want to go in together and see if we can get a better deal let me know. Please send me a message at susanrisa at earthlink dot net.
    Hi Carol,

I just sent you an email from Yahoo.com
    Pls check and see if you got it! If not, you might need to check your Junk Mail.
    Good Luck! Thanks! ;)

Lorraine
  • tpavantpavan Member Posts: 12
    Hello cshonda

Congrats on your deal. That's a sweet deal for FL. May I ask which dealer did you go to and salesperson?

Thanks.
  • cshondacshonda Member Posts: 12
    contacted dealers from Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. The guys in Miami respond to internet quote requests with junk emails -- maybe they couldn't translate what I was asking for to their language. Head to Rick Case if you want to over pay for the vehicle but get a 'free' xyz lifetime warranty on a car part that doesn't exist or never breaks. Head to Coral Springs if you want to put up with condescending aholes that hide your keys, don't negotiate, and try to steal trade-ins. That leaves Palm Beach County. Stick with the smaller guys and you should be fine.
  • satjoshsatjosh Member Posts: 3
    Which dealer in Houston is gave you quote for 26700 OTD for EX? you can email me seperately at satjosh@hotmail.com
  • john2009john2009 Member Posts: 5
    Last month, the best quote I got was from an internet sales manager, of $23,800 plus tax and title (so long as it was a color he already had in stock). I've been waiting for a better deal somewhere, since some posts from other regions seem to be $400 - $800 less. Sometimes it's tough to tell, because people quote an out the door price, without saying how much is the state's sales tax.

Any recent news of deals, within a couple hundred miles (Ohio, DC, MD, PA, WVa)? Thanks! == John
  • davidnewtdavidnewt Member Posts: 5
    It is Goodson Honda North. This is about $800 from their quote. Another dealer is Gillman Honda with similar quote. I don't know if I get the best deal. It seems that people from other area (NJ, PA, FL etc.) could get the same thing for $800-1000 less.
    around 24,000 inlcuding all dealer fees
    2,000 8.37% NY tax
    250 title/registration
    50 to reimburse myself for research, effort and time:)
    standard EX, no free gifts except the wheel locknuts (I think it's default)...

the only regret is my sticker says everything made in USA,
    assembled in USA, engine in USA, transmission in USA.
    any comments on this? did any one get something made in Japan instead?

also, does anyone know how to check the manufacturing date once I got this baby in my own garage? as I want to make sure my car doesn't fall in some recalls (like break line etc).
  • familyguy9familyguy9 Member Posts: 17
    Picked up the van on Friday 5/8.
    Brand new, had 15 miles on it.
  • pray4allpray4all Member Posts: 15
    I think every ody has major parts (engine, trany etc) from USA now
    Finally, the Homelink System is now connected to my Garage!
    Btw, the minivan I got just had 1 mile when purchased. Very lucky! By the time we came out from the dealership, it's just 2 miles. The salesperson said he had been saving and hiding that particular minivan for me (just came in 1 or 2 days ago).
    Very nice!

Do highly recommended for buying the extended warranty (with $0 deductible/ 8 years/ 120K miles). Due to unreliability of Honda ratings compared to Toyota, esp. if you'd so many electronic features with this (it will sure cost you $$$$ in the future if you didn't buy it while you can).

• sami71290sami71290 Member Posts: 1
    After reading your post here, we went as well and only after confirming that they would agree on a subtotal price ($25,000) for an EX with the mud guard, wheel locks, etc. They were awful. At first, they were all nice and told us that the person that was supposed to deal with us left because of a death in the family, which was understandable. Then they said that they did not have any EX in the parking lot, only LX and EXL and that to have one brought to us would cost an extra one grand. The money wasn't the problem -it was the fact that we had agreed on a price through email and we even had it with us. They flat out lied to us about having an EX because we saw them in the lot, then they spent an hour arguing with us on the price and were talking down to us because we weren't white Americans and thought they could cheat us out of the deal. They were talking so sweetly and nicely to us before and sugar-coating everything and then they became plain rude. They refused to even include the mud guards and stuff at the new price of $26,000.

So I went to a different dealer and paid $300 more including taxes/processing/dealer fees. I couldn't believe that the people at Jim Coleman would do such a thing. I HATED my experience there. I'm never going there again. If they agreed on an online price, why can't they keep their promise? I brought in the email and everything and showed it to them and they were like sorry we can't do such a thing. It was so frustrating. The best part? They asked us for a $500 deposit before we even got there. What a bunch of cheating losers. I got a better deal somewhere else. Bottom line: DON'T GO THERE.
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    I didn't bother with Jim Coleman either. They would only deal if I came in. They would not committ to matching an internet quote from another dealer either. Sounded like they did a bait and switch on you.

I'm going with Hersons.
  • safarisunitsafarisunit Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a brand new Odyssey Touring with NO PAX from Holler Honda in Winter Park, FL. Optional Equip was a Protection package which included Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Splash Guards, Paint Protection.

Great experience. Price as follows

MSRP: $41,575.00
    DISCOUNT: -$7,848.00
    Vehicle Price: $33,727.00
    DMV Fees: $275.50
    Dealer Fee: $599.00
    Tax: $2,084.56
    Delivered Price: $36,686.06

I thought it was an awesome deal.
  • gopalangopalan Member Posts: 6
    30 K OTD was offered by curyhonda
    30.8 OTD was offered by hondacarland (gwinnet)

can I know which city your are living. I am in Norcross.

If possible if we go together we may get low price.