Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

Comments

• jokerrjokerr Member Posts: 3
    Why are they changing a vehicle that rivals the H1 to a big M class? When I heard of the Mercedes SUV coming to the US I naturally thought of the g-class and they gave us the M class. If I wanted a mini van I would buy a minivan. They should not change the G-class. They are making the same mistake as GM with the H2 (offroad suburban) and H3(Trailblazer). Why do you think GM released the H1 ALPHA, they had the market and gave it away. :cry:
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    The current g-class is being continued do to outcries like yours (and mine and about a hundred others I know in the G community). It will remain in production, meaning civillian versions, until 2010 reportedly. US dealers are reportedly able to offer them as 2006 models though the supply after the middle of next summer is still suspect.

Consider the prodcution numbers of the G. They are EXTREMELY low for anything considered to be a "production" vehicle. The G is still hand built in ways any modern manufacturer would scoff at. There is another issue and that is with the tooling. It is becoming more and more difficult to meet quality standards with the old tooling. The cost of replacing that tooling....well thats just not going to happen.

An internet search will reveal a few g-class websites. The 280GE is really not rare...for a G-wagen. There are probably about 800 of them in the US currently. What is it worth? I would need some details to nail that down but they are selling between $12,000-18,000 maybe a little more if it is REALLY nice. E-bay is as good a place as any to put it up for sale IMO.

"Where did I find the SWB G?" It was on e-bay, though I knew the owner via an internet forum and bought it outside of e-bay. They are fairly rare. If you want a G500 swb, there are only 10 in the US. There is one for sale at gwagen.com. I think it is a 2000, 55k miles, dark blue/black, $55k. Nice truck, been considering it for myself. Older ones, 280GE, 300GD, show up from time to time on e-bay or in the clubgwagen.com classifieds. Good Luck
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Hey...long time no hear from! Whats in your garage now? I seem to remember you selling the S600, but you kept the 750ilL no?

I too think the current G should be kept around as long as possible and this new large SUV should be called the MLX meaning a larger M-Class, which is what it really is. I'm reading that the new SUV will be called the "GL".

M
  • homestarmanhomestarman Member Posts: 17
    I can`t believe that they lost that solid rear axle. It is way to much for me man.... :(
  • eddiejjeddiejj Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the grill guard for $699.? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Photos, Company Plans World Debut in Detroit (Inside Line)

G Class - GL Class. Seems close enough to warrant posting here.

Steve, Host
  • assetsassets Member Posts: 4
    Hello All - Sorry for the long delay in responding. I found it at trucktoysforless.com here's the link: http://trucktoys4less.com/trucktoys4less/mercedesg.html

This is the only aftermarket supplier I have found. Their product is german made, bolts on and is chrome plated stainless steel, they even include shipping, which is an issue because of the size and weight of the product. I also just bought german made tail-light guards from an outfit on ebay called "4x4 Club". They are heavy wrap around style ones like on the G55. I'll post a review when I get them on and see if they stay put. They were were about 50% less than the $1100.00 that the dealer and "performance auto" wants. By the way, performance auto also has grill guards but expect to pay $2000, they have VERY NICE underside protection bars, and turn-signal protection cages for $219.00 as well.

p.s. I called The GWAGEN USA guys in New Mexico 8 TIMES (their website says they stock the parts) and they have never returned a call, they suck! They parts guy is perpetually "at lunch", never returns calls or emails, and I even spoke to the parts manger who apologized profusely and said he would make sure the guy called, surprise - 3 weeks later NO CALL. I would be wary buying from them, if they can't take the time to make the sale, God help you if you need product support after you have bought from them.
  • dizzle65dizzle65 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,

I am considering buying either a 2002 (or 2003) G500 or maybe even a 2003 Range Rover 4.4 HSE. I have done some research. I know that the G500 will hold its value better than the RR. And I also realize that the insurance on the G500 is a bit more than the RR and that the gas mileage is tad worse as well. I am simply looking for a luxurious, and highly capable off-road vehicle, which I WILL be using off road. The car will also be my ONLY vehicle, as I am selling my current SUV.

My major issue I guess would be reliability. What in your guys' (and gals') opinion would be a better choice?

My father has a 1994 LR Defender 90 and it is pretty much unreliable. Looking at the RR board, I am not too convinced that the "new" RR departs substantially enough from its traditional Land Rover reliability issues.

If anyone owns a G500 around that year (2002-03) I would be curious as to any problems they have had or major defects - - oh, and also any exorbitant repair costs and dealership treatment.

thanks a bunch in advance,

dizzle_65
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    The 2007 Mercedes Benz GL450 will be in USA dealerships by April! :shades:

Since it is unique and is NOT replacing the G, why doesn't it have it's own discussion thread! :mad:

C'mon Edmunds! ;)

Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good question! I don't have an answer (yet).

tidester, host
    imageDrive on over to my place!
    Try this one:

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

Steve, Host
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Stave,

Thanks SO MUCH! :D

It's well hidden in the "Mercedes Benz related" section folks. Perhaps one day it can jump onto the legitimate model page! ;) Like Honda's upcoming Fit. :surprise:

FYI: The only active "Owners" disussion I've found was on the M-B owners mbnz.org website FWIW. Once the media blitz starts hopfully it'll get more active!

Regards,

Paul
  • tjqp3tjqp3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I'm new and am hoping someone could answer my G q's. Here goes, so is MB going to continue shipment to the US for 2006 if so till when? Also did the G looks it solid axles? Lastly for all 2002 and newer G500 owners I'd like to know what problems if any you've experienced major or minor. Thanks to all that help!
    "The GL-Class was once intended to replace the comparatively ancient and crude G-Class (a.k.a. Gelaendewagen), but Mercedes found enough of a following for the military-spec box on wheels that it will continue to produce the G in small numbers."

Not sure what that translates to in US sales.

First Drive: 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • jeepcreeperjeepcreeper Member Posts: 18
    There is one black G-Class that prowls the streets where I live, and it is a scene stealer whenever it goes by.
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    If you'd like to see a few shots of the G-Class assembly line in Graz, Austria, check out this link:

http://www.pbase.com/flydutch/gclass_assemby

I also have a very nice 18-19 minute commercially made DVD Video of the assembly line and the test track on Schöckl Mountain, which I can duplicate.
  • rangerfan4rangerfan4 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2005 G-500 new in November - I was told it was the last year they would make it so I thought it would be cool to own one. I have loved having it even though people have said it is ugly - I don't care - I like it but I have been having a problem that Mercedes can't seem to fix - I want to know if anyone else has had this problem - there is an annoying creaking noise in the back right corner - they thought it was the tire holder on the back of the car or the latch on the back but it wasn't -they fixed it temporarily but the creak is coming back and driving me crazy - has anyone else had this problem?
    Please let me know if you hear a creaking noise in the back of your G500 - I have had mine for 7 months and love it but have an annoying creak that they can't seem to figure out. Thanks.
    Have you by any chance had a creaking noise in the back of your G wagon? I have a new one - had 7 month and Mercedes can't seem to figure out what it is - they temporarily fixed it but it is coming back and driving me crazy. Thanks.
    Three messages with the same question. Do you expect to get better answers in numbers?

My guess is that you need to lubricate the rear door latching mechanism. Also try a very light coating Vaseline smeared on the rubber door gasket - all the way around the door. Vinylex cleaner/conditioner also works.

The G will be made at least through 2010. That was announced by DCAG in November of 2005, although it took some of the MBUSA dealers a little time to get the message.
    Sorry - I have not ever been in a forum like this and didn't understand how it worked - I thought I was sending messages to 3 people. Anyway, thanks for the information. I am a little ticked off that one main reason I spent the money was because I thought my year would be the last and therefore would hold its value even more. My husband says if we can't get the creaking noise out of there (he almost refuses to ride in it anymore) we will have to deal with MB and get some resolution - too much money to live with the loud noise. I will try the Vaseline. I guess whatever they did to it to get it to stop finally wore off and maybe has to be done frequently to keep the noise away. A friend of mine has a friend who had the same problem and traded the car back in after only 3 months - couldn't take it and never found out what it was.
    Not sure if I'm allowd to say this here, but I moderate the largest English language Internet Forum for the Geländewagen. This is the URL:

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

(Moderator, feel free to edit that out, if it's not allowed.)

That squeek/creak in the rear door is not uncommon. Lubricating the door gasket will often solve the problem. Sometimes it takes a lube and a slight adjustment of the striker/latch mechanism; but that is usually only required when there's a clunk back there.

I've been driving a G for 22 years. They are tremendous vehicles; but - admittedly - not for everyone. One of the biggest problems in the USA is that the MBUSA dealers never really got any good service training on the G's; and they look at the G as a ba$tard step child, with which they really don't want anything to do.

If you were in Georgia, I'd be happy to look at it for you. If not, try another dealer. They're not all equal when it comes to the Geländewagen.

Be happy wth your 2005 G. They finally seem to have worked the many bugs out that plagued the earlier models that came to the USA. The folks who will really be ticked are those who buy the 2006, since there are some upgrades and modifications scheduled for the 2007 model year.
    Is the 2007 going to look the same? I just hate to have spent $86,000 for a car that creaks and is so noisy that it truly ruins my enjoyment. I am taking it to MB dealership next week and telling them they must get the creak out - I put the vaseline like someone told me around the latch but I swear I think it sounds worse.
    I tried to register on your forum but it asked me for a verification code - how do I get registered - thanks.
    Try putting it on the rubber gasket that surrounds the door.

Here's a link to some photos. Other than the Xenon lights, the changes are to the powerplants and the interior. At this point no diesels for the USA. Darn! :sick:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153080
    Try again, there is no verification code required to my knowledge.
    Only $86,000? Imagine the dismay of customers who paid $135,000 (and in 6 cases, $160,000) to the orginal importer of the truck right up until the time that MB started selling them in 2002 in the mid $70,000's.

One of those $160k customers sold his truck 18 months and 22,000 miles later for $60k. Now that's depreciation!!
    I put the vaseline around the rubber thing all around the back door - didn't help. I paid full sticker for the car - $86,000 - I know the AMG model goes for about $135,000 I think - mine is the Grand Edition - has the medallion on the side saying limited edition and it is numbered on the inside "169" out of only 500 grand edition models made or so I wastold. I have never seen another one with the medallion on the side or with the numbered plate by the gear shift - it is the silver color - I love it like I said but have got to get rid of that noise. Thanks for the info. I am taking it back in to the dealership next week to have it fixed again.
    The Geländer (I know, a bit gauche, but I like the way it rolls off my tongue) is my favorite MB.

Any car with real rain gutters gets high marks from me. :shades: Nice to see that they didn't go away.

Steve, Host
    The absolute only thing I could find on mine that it didn't have was automatic fold in side mirrors - the truck is narrow so really doesn't need them but I got used to them on my wide Escalade.
    I am a poser - I am a housewife who uses my new G500 for grocery shopping and mundane errands - will never use the off-road capability - just thought it looked cool.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    I just noticed that you have the G-Class listed in the GL-Class Family Heading. The G-Class bears no more resemblance to the GL-Class than it does to the ML-Class or R-Class - all three of which are built on the same basic body structure in the same plant.

Why not sort things out correctly? :confuse:
    This one was on the list to redo but got away from us I guess. The class stuff bugs me as it is - someone posts about the M-Class ... well, are they driving the ML320 or 350 or?

The GL has what, the 320, 420 (Bluetec?), 450 and 500? But only the GL420 and GL450 in this US? Oh wait, the GL320 is a CDI isn't it? :confuse:

It's easy for Mercedes fans but the rest of us like names like Murano, Explorer, or my fav, the Geländewagen that comes complete with real external raingutters. Say G-Wagon and I immediately know what SUV you are talking about.
    If you want to lump things, put the GL, ML and R Classes in the same group. They're all built on the same basic body unit and in the same factory.

The G-Class, G-Wagen or MB Geländewagen is still hand built in Graz, Austria; as it has been with very little change in style since February 1979. It is one of the last hand built production vehicles left. It is not a GL; nor is the GL a direct descendant of the G !
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have considered buying a used G500 as they seem to be a lot less than new. What should I look for in the buying process. I am looking for a vehicle to keep for another 10-15 years. I am now looking at the GL320 CDI as my first choice. A real good buy on a G500 would buy a lot of Premium Gas.

PS
    Any years to steer clear of?
  • ukg500ukg500 Member Posts: 1
    Help me, someone please reply to this.. firstly apologies if this topic has been discussed before, I did do a search (several) and couldnt find anything on it. I have a 2003 G500 bought in the US and shipped over to the UK. Ever since ive had it I have had one problem after another...mainly the window mechanisms failing/totally breaking down and had to be replaced (all 4!). I hardly drive the wagen, its stationary 90% of the time,it has so little mileage even now (thats because gas prices in the UK are horrendous) so its not as if it has had a thorough use of it, never off road and lately (for the past year) the only journeys its had is to the mercedes shop and back again. I drive a little cheap city car that has never had a problem since i bought it and i drive the hell out of it. Anyway, My current problem is that I seem to be totally locked out of the car, thinking it was the batteries I changed them, its not. I can get in with the mechanical key but when i insert the smart key into the ignition...nothing happens. It wont even turn. Ive been quoted some really silly prices to have it towed to the garage and then more silly prices as to what i might have to pay just for a tech to look at it. Thats without actual work being done. Does anyone here know why a smart key would malfunction, has anyone gone through the same thing and found the reason? Is it common? Is there anything i can do or try before taking out a bank loan to fix this? Please help...as soon as i fix this problem im getting rid of it because even though its a dream car, the costs of repair far outweight the benefits. Its been a total nightmare. I would understand the cost of maintenance if i drove the hell out of it on a regular basis. Fed up and dissolutioned Gwagen owner! :cry::cry:
    2002 & 2003 have been plagued with electronics problems in a lot of them.
  • maxsmartmaxsmart Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear of all your problems. As mschafer points out unfortunately 2002/2003 are plagued with electronic problems.

I would try search MB forums in general about the smart key since it probably won't be G specific. You might also want to try some of the other G forums which are visited more regularly.

You will be limited in who you can take your G to in London unfortunately. MB Mayfair (now in Park Royal) are the only dealer in London who work on Gs on a regular basis but as you point out it may require a small bank loan.

There are also people like George Fraser who's rates are half of MB.

Sell it and get another but don't get put off by it! Most Gs are rock solid reliable.
  • ylaraylara Member Posts: 1
    Hello you stated that they finally got the kinks out of the earlier models. I heard the 02 & 03 models had electrical problems. I am considering buying a 2004 here in florida or should I wait and get only a 2005 or newer? Do you think the 04 have most of the issues worked out? Thanks for any help.

YL
  • stephania1stephania1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my G Class 2008. Few flaws and I would like to compare notes with other owners.
  • storm10storm10 Member Posts: 260
    I have not seen a lot of reviews comparing G-Class to GL-Class. Here is the one I found that mentions some core differences: 2010 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV Overview.
    Anybody thoughts would be appreciated.
  • paws9paws9 Member Posts: 5
    hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some information on my 1988 Gelandewagon?? Thank you for your kind attention on this ...anxiously looking forrward to knowing everything I can....
    thank you very much for that link, does anyone know where else I may find out more???
    what is the website for the G-Wagon owners club??? thank you!!
    Hello, Can anyone tell me anything about a 1988 canadian/european g-wagon???
    thank you!
    edited April 2010
    can anyone tell me anything about this year and model...web sites ..... or clubs??
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.