Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

Comments

• johnkjohnk Posts: 2
    After owning multiple SUVs and other assorted German vehicles, the G is simply the best. I didn't buy it to cruise high end neighborhoods, bars or restaurants. This is a performer - a virtual beast of a machine. It eats my off-road trails - it makes it's own. But yet, has that head turning quotient. Great vehicle.
  • steven2steven2 Posts: 37
    The current G-Class's styling was quite unseen by most of North Americans, so of course it was a smash hit when it came out. But now, people seem to be getting over the craze, and it's type for a new G-Class. Do you think they (Mercedes) could use the next G-Class as their full size, luxury, 7 passenger SUV?
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,547

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• johnkjohnk Posts: 2
    At 20,000 miles the G has been perfect. Eats trails and runs circles around everthing but H1s. No one should review this car unless they go off-roading. How could a reviewer ever compare the G to cushy American products. Beats out any other non-American competition.
  • jcjjjjcjjj Posts: 1
    I need advise on selling my 1985 G280 that is in great condition. I am the son of the owner and must sell this vehicle. How much is it worth? Where is the best place top advertise? Web sites don't even recognize the vehicle. Please help.
    The G280 doesn't seem to be in the pre-1990 section. Heck, it's not even on eBay. It must be an odd duck :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    Edmunds has some good historical information on this vehicle but not pricing:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/102468/articl- - - e.html

As for pricing, this is the kind of vehicle where you should really get a professional appraisal, so you know where you stand. Being a gray market truck in 1985 means you really can't price them against the newer US models very accurately.

Sometimes if you cruise on Google, you can find a couple 80s models for sale. I saw a 1989 for sale through a dealer for $13,500 but just offhand that seems pretty high, and this one was four years newer and with very low miles. So I dunno.

What you need to do is a lot of Internet research to come to an accurate number I think. You may find more comparables for sale in Europe than in the US, say through searches on Ebay.com, which is fine, since with Ebay and the INternet we now enjoy a much more "international" market for unusual cars and trucks.

As for where to sell, I think www.hemmings.com is one good place and the bulletin boards of any G-Wagon clubs would be another good place. And don't forget Ebay--this type of "vintage SUV" might do very well there. Just be sure to include LOTS of pictures and a good deal of detailed description if you do an Ebay auction.

• Are you selling the truck still and for how much?
    Keith
    Must be a unique vehicle; no one is talking about it.

Steve, Host

Either that or you have to be sworn to secrecy in order to own a G-wagen.

Steve, Host

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    When is a G Wagon Not a G Wagon?

When it is that thing. It looks like anybodys SUV. All wrong for a true G imo.

M
    Oh dear. I bet the external rain gutters got lost in the translation too. Someone mentioned the G-Wagon in the Mazda chat tonight (chat topics go all over :)), but I've been on holiday for a few days and didn't realize it was changing this much.

Steve, Host

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    The G Wagon is a world wide desert/all terrain military vehicle. That was its appeal to me. Granted it was old and basic, however so is the scout and that is one of the best offroaders.
  • adaviesadavies Posts: 1
    I am trying to find an older G Class two door. Where did you find yours?

Ant
  • assetsassets Posts: 4
    Does anyone know a good source for grill gurads, lamps guards and etc. for teh g 500? I've Googled teh hell out of it and can't find anything but the dealer and one outfit in the USSR. Any referrals to a good source would be much appreciated.
    Did you try a search for "Geländewagen accessories?"

Many hits were in German, but I found a few like Planet Auto.

Steve, Host

Thanks Steve, I'll try that! I'm looking for tail lamp guards, a grill/brush guard, and possibly turn signal cages like those found on the G55, but in black. If anyone has a source -please share.

ASSETS
    For those of you who have been on the same search I have for G500 GRILL GUARD AND ACCESSORIES, hope has arrived. I'm obviously not alone because a call to the dealer left me with a warning about a long back order and a quote of , get this... $2,200 for the grill guard and $1,900 for the taillight guards!!!!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS! They sell the pieces separately and charge you for every bolt and screw. I did find an aftermarket chromed stainless model for $699.00 which I am going to order, and another source for the turn-signal cages for $299.00. If one of the US truck accessory mfgs. reads this, make some bolt-ons for this damn truck and you will make a killing!
  • jokerrjokerr Posts: 3
    Why are they changing a vehicle that rivals the H1 to a big M class? When I heard of the Mercedes SUV coming to the US I naturally thought of the g-class and they gave us the M class. If I wanted a mini van I would buy a minivan. They should not change the G-class. They are making the same mistake as GM with the H2 (offroad suburban) and H3(Trailblazer). Why do you think GM released the H1 ALPHA, they had the market and gave it away. :cry:
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    The current g-class is being continued do to outcries like yours (and mine and about a hundred others I know in the G community). It will remain in production, meaning civillian versions, until 2010 reportedly. US dealers are reportedly able to offer them as 2006 models though the supply after the middle of next summer is still suspect.

Consider the prodcution numbers of the G. They are EXTREMELY low for anything considered to be a "production" vehicle. The G is still hand built in ways any modern manufacturer would scoff at. There is another issue and that is with the tooling. It is becoming more and more difficult to meet quality standards with the old tooling. The cost of replacing that tooling....well thats just not going to happen.

An internet search will reveal a few g-class websites. The 280GE is really not rare...for a G-wagen. There are probably about 800 of them in the US currently. What is it worth? I would need some details to nail that down but they are selling between $12,000-18,000 maybe a little more if it is REALLY nice. E-bay is as good a place as any to put it up for sale IMO.

"Where did I find the SWB G?" It was on e-bay, though I knew the owner via an internet forum and bought it outside of e-bay. They are fairly rare. If you want a G500 swb, there are only 10 in the US. There is one for sale at gwagen.com. I think it is a 2000, 55k miles, dark blue/black, $55k. Nice truck, been considering it for myself. Older ones, 280GE, 300GD, show up from time to time on e-bay or in the clubgwagen.com classifieds. Good Luck
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Hey...long time no hear from! Whats in your garage now? I seem to remember you selling the S600, but you kept the 750ilL no?

I too think the current G should be kept around as long as possible and this new large SUV should be called the MLX meaning a larger M-Class, which is what it really is. I'm reading that the new SUV will be called the "GL".

M
  • I can`t believe that they lost that solid rear axle. It is way to much for me man.... :(
  • eddiejjeddiejj Posts: 1
    Where did you find the grill guard for $699.? Thanks.
    2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Photos, Company Plans World Debut in Detroit (Inside Line)

G Class - GL Class. Seems close enough to warrant posting here.

Steve, Host

• Hello All - Sorry for the long delay in responding. I found it at trucktoysforless.com here's the link: http://trucktoys4less.com/trucktoys4less/mercedesg.html

This is the only aftermarket supplier I have found. Their product is german made, bolts on and is chrome plated stainless steel, they even include shipping, which is an issue because of the size and weight of the product. I also just bought german made tail-light guards from an outfit on ebay called "4x4 Club". They are heavy wrap around style ones like on the G55. I'll post a review when I get them on and see if they stay put. They were were about 50% less than the $1100.00 that the dealer and "performance auto" wants. By the way, performance auto also has grill guards but expect to pay $2000, they have VERY NICE underside protection bars, and turn-signal protection cages for $219.00 as well.

p.s. I called The GWAGEN USA guys in New Mexico 8 TIMES (their website says they stock the parts) and they have never returned a call, they suck! They parts guy is perpetually "at lunch", never returns calls or emails, and I even spoke to the parts manger who apologized profusely and said he would make sure the guy called, surprise - 3 weeks later NO CALL. I would be wary buying from them, if they can't take the time to make the sale, God help you if you need product support after you have bought from them.
  • Hi all,

I am considering buying either a 2002 (or 2003) G500 or maybe even a 2003 Range Rover 4.4 HSE. I have done some research. I know that the G500 will hold its value better than the RR. And I also realize that the insurance on the G500 is a bit more than the RR and that the gas mileage is tad worse as well. I am simply looking for a luxurious, and highly capable off-road vehicle, which I WILL be using off road. The car will also be my ONLY vehicle, as I am selling my current SUV.

My major issue I guess would be reliability. What in your guys' (and gals') opinion would be a better choice?

My father has a 1994 LR Defender 90 and it is pretty much unreliable. Looking at the RR board, I am not too convinced that the "new" RR departs substantially enough from its traditional Land Rover reliability issues.

If anyone owns a G500 around that year (2002-03) I would be curious as to any problems they have had or major defects - - oh, and also any exorbitant repair costs and dealership treatment.

thanks a bunch in advance,

dizzle_65
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    The 2007 Mercedes Benz GL450 will be in USA dealerships by April! :shades:

Since it is unique and is NOT replacing the G, why doesn't it have it's own discussion thread! :mad:

C'mon Edmunds! ;)

Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Good question! I don't have an answer (yet).

tidester, host
    imageDrive on over to my place!
This discussion has been closed.