Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H2

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It appears that most posts are simply links to other sites. I'm sure we'd prefer to discuss the Hummer than to just post URLs.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Check out this month's Motor Trend for a full review of the H2 at Moab! I just got it in the mail. Great pics and a fantastic review...pick it up, if you haven't already!
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Hard to have a discussion when I think I'm the only one here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, what's the deal. Are Hummers just too exotic or too expensive to get people on Town Hall talking about them? Maybe we need to rename this topic "I Don't Like Hummers, Why Do You?"

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • grunt03grunt03 Member Posts: 15
    It's hard to believe the H2 doesn't have more room inside. I wonder just how difficult entry will be for larger people to the rear seats. From what I've heard, it's going to be kind of tight.
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I've had one ordered for about a month now and having some second thoughts. Mainly about the rear seat access. I guess in can't be any harder to enter that an extended Z-71 without the third door.
    Do you know about the Hummer personal assistants? If you don't. Go to Hummer.com. Look around, somewhere there is a personal assistant signup page. It's free, you can sign up then ask them where the demo thats going around the country is. Then you can go to that dealer for a sit.
    Yes,

That's how I got started. Rep. named Toby. I'm in north Florida and ended up getting the order in in south Fl. As of a few of days ago, we have a new dealer here in Jacksonville. Same dealer I bought 3 vehicles from in the last five years.
    They don't expect one in for about 3 weeks. A friend who sells there, didn't even know they were going to be a dealer last month. They have orders for a least 20 already.

My order down state will be in before they get any on the floor.
    Ask him. Its still going across the country. I just don't know where. Please post it here if you get a date and location. Thanks.
    Thanks,

I'll contact him in the am.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Personally, I think we should get all the H2 owners in one place - like right here - instead of scattered all over the net! We could get a critical mass that way! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I just talked to the Hummer assistant and he says all dealership should have at least one H2 this week on the floor.
    Thanks. Hopefully you fit fine. Are you going to replace your Hummer with the H2?
    From HML and H2ML
    Hummer executives say the H2 sport utility truck likely will make its debut in late 2004 as a 2005 model. It will feature a 36-inch bed and a unique power window that rolls down automatically into the midgate at the touch of a switch on the overhead console. This midgate -- a kind of tailgate located in the middle of the truck, separating the bed from the passenger area -- is patterned after a traditional station wagon tailgate. The power switch that lowers the midgate window can also lower the four side windows simultaneously. The H2 will be the second vehicle in the Hummer series since GM began its partnership in 1999 with Hummer's parent, AM General, the Indiana military vehiclemanufacturer.

GM executives say the H3 -- which will be built on the all-new, Isuzu-engineered Chevrolet Colorado platform -- likely will cost about $30,000. The main concern as GM makes its business case for building the H3 is whether a more affordable Hummer can deliver the performance expectations of Hummer consumers. The Hummer H3 is expected to be built at GM's Shreveport, La., plant, which currently turns out the GMC Sonoma and Chevrolet S10 pickups.

Also, GM/Hummer is in negotiations with an unnamed, upscale retailer to develop and market a small gas-powered vehicle about the size of a
    golf cart and priced around $20,000. So far, nobody's called it the H4.
  • ktowheelsktowheels Member Posts: 31
    Good to see that you guys are finally coming to the party. It was hard to discuss the H2 with only a few people. If you are having second thoughts about the H2; you are not alone. After going and sitting in one in Dallas I cancelled my order. There is zero room! I am going to stick to my Tahoe for now. I implore each of you that are over six foot tall to go sit in it!
    I was so disappointed! I now know what it is like for kids too short to ride the really good roller coasters! I will continue to hound the Hummer guys until the come up with a way of lowering the seat about three inches closer to the floor.
    I recommend that those that are new to this discussion thread to start at the begining; many a good conversation were had in regards to performance expectations. Always interesting to see how speculation lives up to reality!
    Later,
    K
    The room is my only concern. I may be cancelling my order as well. I haven't sat in one as of yet and already feel as if the seat will be too high.

I guess I'll find out this week.

Buddy
    Ok, let's hear what everyone thinks of Edmunds' review:

First Drive: 2003 Hummer H2

Steve
    Host
    Think it's pretty good. Learned some things from it.
    Now that seems to be a pretty positive review to me. Those are things I like to hear. Of course you can exclude the gas mileage. The last time I got 10 or less mpg was in the 60's. I remember those gas drinking muscle cars...those were the good o'days.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Steve, you know as well as I that thing wouldn't make it out of the parking lot on the Old Sterling "Highway" (snicker) trail. It's just toooooooo darn big! But it is a cool color.
    It's getting like whitewater boating. In the old days you had a canoe or kayak and you ran the river. Now you have "destination" boats and you pick one from your quiver depending on whether you want to surf a wave, play in a hole or boof a creek.

So now you have a Hummer in the garage for the slickrock, a Rover for the skinny stuff in the woods, and a topless Wrangler for the sand. Why not? Bet lots of folks have mountain bikes and 10-speeds in their garages too.

Steve
    Host
    http://www.motortrend.com/hummer/index

I can't wait for the first update!
    For those of you that get up early. I read that the H2 will be on Good Morning America and the Today show tommorw.
  • kvsm3kvsm3 Member Posts: 32
    Hi all,
    In my neighborhood this morning, saw the H2 and all I can is WOW!! It was an orange/copperish color. Looked great and intimidating!! I love the styling of it. not your everyday SUV!
    There's RCs for the real little ones, gorcarts for the kid. The golf carts for teens without licenses, the around 30k H3 for those on a budget, the H2/SUT for the one that needs luxury, the Hummer for the one that refuses to stay on road, and now the H4? for the elderly.

http://www.scooter411.com/bruno/bruno_humvee.asp

The only thing left is a Hummer herse.
    www.wisconsinhummerowners.com/bergstrom.html

has a clip of the H2 on the new dealership test track. If you have dial-up, plan on waiting, it took me over 3 hrs to download it @48k, probably closer to 4. Nothing too extreme, but still pretty cool.
    H2 on motorweek on speed channel 12am eastern.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    In the past week I have seen 3 H2s on the road. Very cool truck!
    WHAT?! There are discussions on this thread?Actually the AMG spec is 12 years. 60% slope, 40% side under FULL gvw. Over 60 degrees slope 40 degree side when not loaded or slightly loaded. It has great offroad mobility, in open areas anyway, horrible in small tight places. I think they're great, but damn they're expansive.
    The article says the Hummer backed onto the Probe, but the picture doesn't show that.

Also... how were two pictures taken of the Hummer sittng on the Probe, unless... ??

It doesn't add up. Who is stroking whose own ego with those pictures and the "article"?
    The girl (ford owner, Hummer owner's girlfriend) was driving on the highway overpass when her probe died. She called her boyfriend. He came to pick her up. The ford had many problems so they decided to have a little fun instead of fixing it. The girl got a camera and the guy got ready to run over the ford. The guy that called the cops then ran out from his house and stood between the Hummer and ford. He was determined to stop the Hummer from running over the ford, they tried to explain everyting to him, but he wouldn't listen. The boyfriend got in the Hummer and started to move slowly towards the ford, the guy standing in between the vehicles wisely got out of the Hummer's way. The boyfriend then had a little fun. He decided not to drive completly over because he didn't want to attract too much attention. Then the two left and he bought her a land rover.
    And I can't say the guy in the Hummer is a complete nutcase because he DID, after all, buy her a great 4WD to replace the Probe!

Too bad he didn't buy a pair of them! (gotta get my thinly-veiled digs in where I can)
    It's a pretty cool story. Just too bad he didn't drive all the way over. I have more pics of Hummers involved in accidents, let me know if you want them.
    Take a look here... pretty impressive stories!

http://www.landroverclub.net//Club/HTML/Main_Wrecks.htm

The range in the drunk driver story isn't really that banged up after the accident. you'd think it would be all messed up. Pretty cool, thanks.
    If you own a H2 and have problems with it or wish you could add/change some things, please let me know. The list I'm on is currently compiling a list of the above to send to AMG/GM and they are looking for problems/suggestions.
    I've had my Yellow H2 for 2 weeks. I picked it up in St. Pete, Fl and drove it home that night in the rain. The trip back to Jax. was 232 mi.
    The nest day I filled the gas tank and my gas mileage average out to 13mpg. A couple of times I got up to 70mph, but stayed around 50-55mph for most of the trip.
    I do plan on changing a few things, and somethings I wish I could change.
    I will change the shocks for some a with a little more rebound damping.
    The suspension does seem a little to mushy at times. I may tighten the torsion bars just a little.

I wish I had the air suspension. I may never need it, but it would be nice to have if needed.
    I didn't get the sunroof and sometimes have second thoughts. The last sunroof I had leaked after a few years in the sun.
    I got 600 miles on the H2 now. I'm just getting used to this thing. I've been driving a 01 Z06 for the past to years and I just got to remember what I'm driving at the time. My wife reminds me, "you're NOT in the Vette". I am surprised of how good H2 corners. It's not a sports car, but not as bad as I expected either.

One thing a can say, my Z06 has never got the attention this thing gets. The vette would have to be on fire in a busy intersection during rush to get the attention the H2 gets. No hiding now.

It's new now, so we'll see how it goes. I may hate this thing in six months. Who knows.
    Good to see everything worked out for you. Hope you don't have any problems with your H2.
  • araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    I am picking up my H2 this afternoon. It has been on order for only 1.5 months and made it here early (was supposed to arrive the first week of Sept). Order white w/ Lux package, air suspension, moonroof, wraparound grill guard, lights and spare tire carrier. I have been driving a 2002 Yukon XL Denali and after the test drives of the H2, was really suprised at how well it drives and feels on the road. My wife is taking over the Denali and I wanted something a little more rugged and capable off-road but also a little more refined than something like a Jeep.

Does anyone know if the Hypertech Power Programmer that worked on the 2002 Denali will work on the H2? The improvements on the Denali with the programmer is not very noticable, so I thought I would try it on the Hummer.
    Best thing to do is probably ask the maker. I haven't heard anyone using it yet.
    An Anchorage TV station (ktuu.com) is reporting that the Hummer driver had some kind of seizure. I used to live about, oh, twenty blocks from the accident scene. Glad I wasn't on the sidewalk that day!

Steve
    Host
    Yeah they're wondering if he had a seizure... I hope he's okay? I ride my bike past that same spot TWICE every day on my commute!
    He was treated and released, so I'm guessing hes fine.

Below are stories Hummer (original, not H2) owners posted. I thought they're pretty funny and would share them.

How many of you have had accidents happen right around your Hummer? I have had 2 happen directly behind me in the past 3 months. Both occurred
    when the oncoming car turned left behind me and was struck by the vehicle following me. I think they are looking at the Hummer, and not paying attention to the road.

I've had two accidents happen in the lane to my left during moderately heavy traffic. Traffic would start moving, driver next to me would gawk at the hummer, traffic would stop, driver next to me would continue staring at my hummer while he plowed into the car in front of them.

I know for a fact that an Accident has happened while someone was checking out the Humvee's, we had two of them at a Car wash and the Police
    officer came over and asked how long we had been there because the guy said he was looking at the hummers and ran into the back of a parked car on the side street.
  • accessorymanaccessoryman Member Posts: 1
    Just placed my order for a New H2 this week. Amazing that they required $5,000 down just to allow anyone to place an order. Ordered the Luxury package in white. Looking forward to receiving it in October so I can start adding accessories. Let me know if someone runs into unique accessories for the H2. I already plan on adding the Rear Tire Carrier, Carbon Fiber Dash Trim, New Wheels, Video Monitors, Stainless Steel Grille Guard, Step Bars, and Taillight Guards. I also saw a rear back-up camera the other day that makes it easier to see out the back of the H2.
  • socalfranksocalfrank Member Posts: 11
    I am picking my H2 up tomorrow. I have thought about the spare tire problem long and hard. It wastes way too much room in the cargo area, and the rack on the back is ugly and inconvenient. When I go off road, I will put it in it's factory installed place, but for regular suburban use, the $1600 I save by not buying the rack will pay for a lot of towing.
    So, the tire will stay in my garage most of the time...along with the stupid back seat.
    A preview:

2004 HUMMER H2 SUT Fullsize Crew Cab Truck

Steve

Host

• stockstimingstockstiming Member Posts: 27
    I started an H1 board at

/direct/view/.ef0f593/0

Don't know if the link will work.

I don't much care about the tire rack either. I think you can buy one at about half, around $700.
    I will remove the spare to the garage when I need the extra space too.

My ZO6 doesn't have a spare at all. Just the fix-a-flat and an air pump. I've taken 600mi trips hoping the tires wouldn't find someone's lost screwdriver. Small holes should seal ok.