Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H2

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think part of the problem is that it's exempt from EPA gas mileage ratings because of its weight. People were buying them without benefit of a rating, and (probably) taking someone's (salespersons, lol) guess about mpg at face value instead of researching what the actual numbers were estimated to be. Or they assumed the mileage would be similar to other SUVs like the Explorer or Suburban.

So when the mpg wasn't as expected, new owners complained about it on their JD Power surveys.

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    So when the mpg wasn't as expected, new owners complained about it on their JD Power surveys.

I think you're probably right Steve.................... but when the results of the survey were announced there must have been a collective "Duh, it's a Hummer, what were you thinking!", from every non-Hummer owner that heard about it. :shades:
  • dug5150lasdug5150las Member Posts: 1
    I've owned 5 brand new hummer H2's (one was a SUT) And the 2006 is the worst of them all. Its like the factory was in a hurry and slapped it together. Whenever you drive at low speeds it makes a LOUD twisting metal sound. Driving at 60mph it makes a loud wind sound from the windshield.
    It drives rough and also has a power steering leak! I only have 2000 miles on it!!!
    Also it only gets 10.7 mpg! on or off the highway!

I have never taken it offroad or been rough with it!

If you plan on buying a 2006 I would wait!

Doug :mad: :confuse:
    Bummer! What's your dealer's response to these issues?
  • cpotoyscpotoys Member Posts: 2
    You said it very well. Yes those who complain about the gas mileage in the H2 are jealous and need to head back from break to the fast food counter.
  • cpotoyscpotoys Member Posts: 2
    The reason we buy Hummers is we can :) Those who have never owned or driven one will never understand. I empower you to give one a try and see for yourself first hand. Or could it be the strong possibility that break time is over and it's time for you to return to flipping the burgers. Go jump in your 20k suv.
    Or could it be the strong possibility that break time is over and it's time for you to return to flipping the burgers.

I hope you weren't referring to me! :(

This thread goes back a way to here:
    mac24, "Hummer H2" #634, 27 Aug 2005 5:31 pm, which was a response to a post that was deleted because it degenerated into a personal insult.

Did you join today just to take a poke at the H2 discussion?

For the record, I do own a Hummer, just not an H2. :shades:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey, just because he can't fit his H2 into the drive through is no reason to trash McD's other customers and employees! ;)

Seriously, let's stick with discussing the vehicle and not the people who drive them - or don't.

tidester, host
    "The 2008 Hummer H2, which will hit showrooms in 2007, will get a midcycle enhancement that includes an updated interior and an engine upgrade, Inside Line has learned."

IL Exclusive

Steve, Host
  • redhummerredhummer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 hummer h2 and I have a ticking noise behind the dash board on the drivers side left of the steering wheel. the noise level varies. The dealer has not been able to fix this noise. I have had the car in the shop no less than 10 times over past two and a half years. The funny thing about this noise is that is is not constant and only occurs when the temperature is 50 or below. I rarely here the noise when the temperature is above 55 degrees. It sounds like something is ticking behind the dash board. Has anyone had a problem like this and determined what the problem was.
    I don't have the answer, but I'll take a guess if you like.

With temps below 50ºF you probably have the heater on. It could be that a plastic component, possibly part of the HVAC ducting, is not fully connected to its mating component. As it heats and expands it creates the ticking noise, just as the exhaust does sometimes. It may also be that the mating component is cooled by incoming outside air, thus keeping the process going.

It's a long shot, but I have actually come across something similar on a different vehicle. Dashboard noises are notoriously hard to both trace and eliminate.
  • redhummerredhummer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your quick response. I will mention this to the dealer. The problem is that the noise occurs most often when I first get in the truck before the heater has a chance to generate heat in the vehicle.
    "If you long for a Hummer of your own, for example the H2 (pictured), but just don't have that much extra cash on hand, the new Hummer Certified Pre-Owned program may be for you."

Hummer Initiates Pre-Owned Program (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • jb2inpajb2inpa Member Posts: 1
    I have to say, I always hear bad press about H2, gas mileage, too big, etc. This week, my H2 rolled over twice while I was avoiding an accident. I hit a snow bank, and it grabbed my front passenger wheel and stopped my Hummer dead in it's tracks, causing it to spin on the ice and then roll. I was avoiding an oncoming car in my lane, and all this caused my vehicle to roll over twice. As I was rolling, I could feel the impact as it hit the ground each time, and was thinking since I am in this vehicle, which is like a vault, I better survive. When I came to a stop(upside down), I was still 100% secure in my seat belt. I had to kick out a window to climb out, but amazingly survived with just a few scratches. So for all those who think the H2 is not a great vehicle. I have to say, having owned too many cars to count including Mercedes and Rolls Royce, not only was the H2 comfortable, but safety is by far it's best feature.
  • highrollah2highrollah2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 HUMMER H2 and I really don't drive it much...I have right at 37,000 miles on it and just a few weeks ago I notice that I have a rattle coming from the rear under section of my H2...However I only hear the rattle when accelerating and the H2 only does it after it has reached a warm temperture. I think it may be in the exhaust but I'm just not sure. Have anyone had a problem like this with a 2003 Hummer H2????? The noise is really starting to bother me and it seems to be getting louder each time I drive the H2...... :sick:
    From what you say, it is likely to be the exhaust. The exhaust is flexibly mounted, to allow it to move with the engine as it twists under torque loading and unloading. You could have a soft or broken mount. You could also have a heat shield starting to break it's welds. Finally, you might have an internal baffle that's starting to break away inside the muffler. The first two can be checked by getting underneath to inspect the system and shake it around. A vibrating baffle is best fixed by changing the muffler.
  • highrollah2highrollah2 Member Posts: 2
    mac24 you are truely correct. I had the exhaust system changed out a few days ago and the problem is no longer there. I had a broken mount and the baffle inside the muffler had also broken lose. I truely thank you for your time and your response to the problems I was having. By the way, I went with a FlowMaster system that was designed for the Hummer H2, thanks again and take care. :shades:
    Glad you got the problem solved. :)
    GM Opens Hands-On Las Vegas Driving Attraction (The Driving Woman)

Steve, Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    OH MY GOD.

The irony. If you had been in a smaller car you might not have rolled over at all. A smaller car with better handling might have avoided any accident in the first place! Instead, you have a top heavy vehicle which is more prone to accidents, but when accidents occur, yes you are better protected. I'd rather avoid an accident than survive one.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Stability control in Hummers? That would help with rolling over...

Also, Baccus49, you can't say that for sure, it could have been that with a lighter smaller car he would have lost traction and crashed, possibly hurting himself. It depends how he drove it.

I wonder what the new situation would be for the H2. I bet it will look similar to the new Yukon with 380hp 6.2L V8 and meybe even a 6 speed.

I hope GM will take the time to re-design the H2, look at what ford did with the Explorer, I though the new engine transmission and revisements would be enough but they weren't.

Its also due to fuel economy but that not an issue for Hummer owners. in a funny way it should improve, and a Hybrid hummer would really confuse the tree huggers.
    ........a Hybrid hummer would really confuse the tree huggers.

If you want to see them confused just try explaining that a diesel H1 can run on biodiesel, about the 'greenest' fuel there is. There's nothing more enviromentally friendly than a vehicle running on recycled fryer oil.

Well, maybe a bicycle. ;)
    Be careful what you ask for Mac, :-)

More linked on the Straightline blog.

Steve, Host
  • jasonmogjasonmog Member Posts: 1
    Can I download the navigation system map disc any where? I lost mine and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to download it if I own the entire navigation system.
    I lost mine and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to download it if I own the entire navigation system.

There are so many holes in that argument I don't know quite where to begin! :surprise:

However, while I don't know anywhere you can download it from, your can often find them on eBay.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    How do you lose a disk that shouldn't be taken out of your vehicle? I have never seen anywhere where you can download a nav disk for free on line for any companies GPS. You screwed up and I guess you will have to buy a new one. Chances are the ones on Ebay are out of date onew where the owner has updated to the latest and greatest. :shades:
  • escaladeviperescaladeviper Member Posts: 11
    I Hope they redesign the Hummer H2.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    they will :shades:
    Ok, relax, not the H2. Old news but you have to love Karl's headline.

The Last Summer of Hummer (at least for H1)
  • swhitehornswhitehorn Member Posts: 14
    I have written the perfect commercial for prospective Hummer Buyers as follows:

Hummer: A Monument to Inefficiency

Pile it on Baby Huey
    6400 lbs of overkill featuring a cast iron engine block, generous use of steel, iron, & other less expensive materials. With the exception of it’s wheels, you won’t find any stronger yet lighter aluminum here.
    However, when it’s time to replace those huge tires, shocks and brake pads, now that will cost you.
    What’s more, you will have to replace them often. After all, these components are underneath those 6,400 lbs of deadweight.

Got G.I.T.?
    Genuine Ice Age Technology (G.I.T.)
    With a pushrod engine, two valves per cylinder, & a 1970’s four speed automatic transmission, you’re living large in the new Ice Age.
    Big on the outside, small on the inside. The Honda Odyssey has almost three times more cargo room, yet is over 2,000 lbs lighter.
    You can’t defy the laws of physics. A high center of gravity, useful in off-roading and a feature that most Hummer owners love to boast about, is guaranteed to deliver a poor ride/handling compromise (even though the typical Hummer owner spends over 90% of their time on paved roads.)
    Faster than a speeding Civic?
    Only in your wildest Hummer dreams. In the real world it’s not even close. The base model Honda Civic utilizing one of the weakest Honda engines available, runs away from the Hummer and is actually a full 2 seconds faster from 0 to 60.

Do the D.I.P.
    Dinosaur Ice Age Package (D.I.P.)
    It’s standard on every Hummer. In fact, we don’t even publish the EPA mileage. You have to ask for it. We figure if you’re dinosaur dumb enough to buy a Hummer, you won’t even think about the gas mileage until it’s too late. Just like dinosaurs in the last Ice Age.
    When bitter cold clashes with dumb dinosaurs, cold wins every time. Likewise, when lots of cold hard cash falls into the hands of dumb, ignorant people (D.I.P.’s), Hummer buyers are created.
    Steering that is over boosted, and reptilian with little or no feel for the road.
    Routine handling is slow, awkward, and prodigious. Rollover is a distinct possibility when trying to pass the ever elusive Civic on a gentle, winding road.

MAD C.O.W.S.
    Cost of Ownership With Surprises (C.O.W.S.)
    Enough to make you MAD after just a few months of refueling this thirsty beast.
    Insurance costs that jump over the moon. What you thought was a very safe vehicle, you soon find isn’t so safe. Accident avoidance is, well unavoidable. Not surprisingly, this 6,400 lb beast’s reaction times (stopping distances) are quite a bit longer than your average Civic‘s.
    Since Hummer bumpers don’t match up with most cars, much greater damage is inflicted upon them. Another surprise, this extra cost is included in the insurance premiums you (not the car owners) pay every day.
    Parking becomes a large and stressful task. Consequently, fender benders are more likely to occur and the average sized garage becomes much too small. Oops, another surprise.
    Depreciation that is poorer than most vehicles for sale in America today, including the Civic.
    Repair costs that are expensive and occur often. A bottom-of-the-line Kia Rio is actually more reliable than the Hummer according to the JD Powers August 2006 dependability study. Now this surprise really hurts.
    You’ve been H.A.D.
    Hummers and Dinosaurs (H.A.D.)
    Tiny brains. Huge appetites. Inseparable, conjoined by the tar pits of time. The true essence of Hummers and the people who buy them.
    Dinosaurs live yet again. Not in a cheap foreign movie, but lumbering down America’s highways & byways, heavily clad in multiple layers of assorted pig iron, plastic, glass, and rubber.
    Welcome to prehistoric automotive engineering, inspired by unionized Cavemen in the new Ice Age.

Hummer, Oh What a Bummer!

Steve from San Antonio
    H2/Honda Civic et al. comparison? Does the phrase "apples to oranges" spring to mind?
  • lou62lou62 Member Posts: 9
    Brilliant Steve! Damn funny and true.
    Yep, real dinosaurs. Guess that's why there are More Hummers coming. ;)

Here's spy shots of the 2008 Hummer H3 pickup for example.

Here's the follow up test on the 2007 Hummer H2 SUT.

• occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I am a Hummer owner of H2 SUT for one day. Took delivery for acquantance of mine & Quebec & will deliver tomorrow for him. Probably one and only time in one of these. Is there a simple way of getting the trip computer showing so I can see how much gas this pig burns? I know it is a 32 gallon tank & will fill it tomorrow but I don't think 32 gallons will take me 360 miles to Montreal.

I have read over some of the messages on this board, and that long one about a typical buyer of a monster like this seems right on.

This unit came with special 20" wheels in stead of the normal 17 inch ones. Any comments on how this will affect the handling on the highway and during the winter in snow, as compared to 17 inch ones?

Tomorrow will be the day I will probably get many obscene gestures from other driving more "normal" transportation.

By the way, how does a price of $40,500 sound for this vehicle, an 05 SUT with 23,000 miles loaded with the special wheels, nav, some sort of "Voss" thingy under the hood that is supposed to pump more air (thus more gas as well I assume) all kinds of chrome lights on the top, bottom & sides, etc., etc. It had been repossed from a guy in NJ who bought the vehicle July 06 and either owed $65,000 for the vehicle at the time, or that was the balance due when it was repossed.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    .......I don't think 32 gallons will take me 360 miles to Montreal.

I would tend to agree. I'd aim to to take a pit stop around half way.

This unit came with special 20" wheels in stead of the normal 17 inch ones. Any comments on how this will affect the handling on the highway and during the winter in snow, as compared to 17 inch ones?

It's the tires that are important on adverse road surfaces, rather than the size of the wheels. I'd guess that they're some kind of 'bling' aftermarket add-on with very low profile street tires (and I'd drive accordingly).

......how does a price of $40,500 sound for this vehicle, an 05 SUT with 23,000 miles loaded......

Probably about right. It's one of the few vehicles that customizing adds value to (the gaudier the better).
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Hummer
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
    How about an SUV calendar?

link
  • zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    What happened here? This thread surely died down.

I just got a brand new '06 H2 with Lux & Sunroof. Dealer from SoCal.
    MSRP = $59,860
    Paid = $55,485 w/ 0% for 72 mos.

Love it!
    This thread surely died down.

Never mind, just be sure to take your new ride off-road now and again, you'll both love it!
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Why so much? This is Edmunds TMV value on such a vehicle:

2006 HUMMER H2
    4dr SUV 4WD (6.0L 8cyl 4A)
    What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees $52,980 $48,741 $49,492
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - -$224
    Optional Equipment $5,790 $4,852 $4,969
    1SC Lux Series Equipment Group $4,240 $3,519 $3,609
    CF5 Power Glass Sunroof $1,550 $1,333 $1,360
    Color Adjustment - - -$54
    Black
    Destination Charge $875 $875 $875
    Total with Options $59,645 $54,468 $55,058

Incentives & Rebates -$6,750
    Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $48,308
    Actually it's this:
    MSRP - Inv - TMV
    Base Price $52,980 $48,741 $49,492
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - -$238
    Optional Equipment $6,005 $5,037 $5,154
    1SC Lux Series Equip $4,240 $3,519 $3,606
    CF5 Power Glass Sunroof $1,550 $1,333 $1,359
    V33 Tool Kit / First Aid Kit $215 $185 $189
    Color Adjustment - - $151
    Yellow
    Destination Charge $875 $875 $875
    Total with Options $59,860 $54,653 $55,434

It's either Cash incentives OR the 0% for 72 mos. I chose the latter (free money). So I pretty much paid Edmund's TMV and they threw in free Gap ins. and 1 year free maintenance.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    You said you purchased a new 06' for $55K? Your Edmunds post is for an 07' is it not? My price quote was based on an 06' model.
    It's for the leftover 2006s. The 2007s do not have 0% for 72 months.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    Has anyone seen or have known of a Hummer H2 go uup in flames? My neighbor had a black one, and she went into a school to drop her child off for preschool and when she had come out of the building, her Hummer had decided to spontaneously combust. Now all that's left is a toasted chassis. Has anyone else heard of this happening? The car was off and in a parking spot.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Saw this in Santa Monica this week...
  • augustmaugustm Member Posts: 1
    Yes, my H2 went up into flames in January when I was stopped at a light. Any idea why this happened to your friend's vehicle?
  • deerdog2112deerdog2112 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 H2 and my trailer wiring stopped working.
    The trailer works fine on another truck.