Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrylser PT Cruiser Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your PT Cruiser!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• cruiserkevcruiserkev Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My Name is Kevin, and I live in State College Pennsylvania with my wife Theresa, and three extremely spoiled cats. I've been cruising since 4/20/01 in an aquamarine 28F with a few extras. A friend of mine does some online work here at the Edmunds site, and I was mentioning to him that I noticed a lack of a PT owners forum here in the Town Hall. He got in touch with Karen, who quickly added the forum. Thanks Karen!

It looks like we can take this forum in pretty much any direction we'd like. What are some of the things you'd like to see covered here? Personally, I'd like to get to know other owners, and trade some stories and tips. I'm interested in setting up a local PT group here in the State College/Centre County area, and would love to hear from anyone nearby who'd like to be involved. We have an actual drive in movie theatre, and there are a couple of annual car shows and cruises here as well.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Glad to see you made it. This IS the ground floor, so don't worry too much that there was no reception committee for your arrival! I'm not a PT owner, but I am looking forward to a closeup look at yours this week. It's almost time for a new vehicle at our house, so you never know...

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• kh60kh60 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm Keith from eastern PA. USA, and I have been following the PT from before the first one rolled off the line and knew I just had to have one. After waiting for a year and a half I stopped in at our local dealer to find out about ordering a 2002 PT on 6/9/2001.
    After building one on the computer at the dealer, the sales team told me they had one just like I had built on the lot (2001) cranberry limited - ABS - /am/fm/cass/cd/ - heated seats - stoarage tray - chrome wheels - leather seats - moonroof - ( my dream of the last year and a half )
    After making a deal (below msrp) with a rear spoiler to be added later I drove it home that afternoon, and a few hours later we took it to our first cruise night to show it off.
    I own three other chrysler products but I never had a must have feeling for anything in my life like I have had for the past year or so about this PT Cruiser.
    I was going to replace my caravan with the PT but decided for now that the PT will be our fair weather and weekend vehicle.

Let's go cruisin
    Interesting that the first two posters in this owners club would be from PA!

I have to say that I was impressed with the rear seat leg room in cruiserkev's PT. I was very comfortable in the back behind Kev, who was in "full cruise mode"! LOL

PF Flyer

Host

• cruiserkevcruiserkev Member Posts: 2
    Glad to have you aboard. My PT is my every day vehicle, and I've never had so much fun driving in my life. I've got a relatively conservative day job, so I won't be doing a lot of modifications. I do have a brake light cling, so when you're behind me, and I hit the brakes, you see "PT Cruiser" in red where the upper brake light is. (cue the song, "Born to Be Wild...")

Being an idiot, I'm lucky to have a Cruiser at all. I had been admiring them from afar, but really hadn't checked one out. I had NO idea they were hard to get, for example. So, with a little time left on the lease of the vehicle I was driving, I called a friend of mine who owns a local dealership. I told him I'd like to test drive a PT, and if I liked it, I'd like to get one in the next week or so. After the laughter died down, he told me although it was unlikely, he'd shake some trees and see what he could find. Next day, he calls. Someone ordered one, but now that it's here, they've decided on another vehicle. I asked him what color, and he said aquamarine. I told him I wasn't sure about the color, but I would sure like a test drive. Well, it was love at first sight, and I drove it home the next day. It had everything I wanted, except a moon roof, which I really haven't missed.
  • davidm8davidm8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

I live in the Philadelphia area. Got my red PT Limited in January. I love it. 4,100 miles, no problems---not even a rattle. A very solid car, so far. Gas mileage is a bit dissappointing (18.5 to 21 or so), but a guy at a gas station told me it might 'break-in' at some point and do better?!?! Sounds like mechanic's mumbo-jumbo to me, but we'll see.

I bought from Videon Chrysler in Newtown Square. MSRP-$22,400. I highly recommend these people. Straight-shooters. No pressure. Free 1,000 mile check-up and free first oil/filter change. Good, punctual service department.

I really do love the car. It still makes me smile every time I climb into it!
    ---David
    Your car is great cruiserkev, but I think I'm kind of partial to the metallic red one. That one has caught my eye. Might be interesting to go to a PT gathering to see what people are doing to customize their rides!

PF Flyer

Host

• ocpeddler1ocpeddler1 Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't help logging onto this site. I figure if anyone knows about PTs, you folks do. I am going to look at the 2002 PT and I would like to know if anyone has heard of what changes will take place. I would like to see a turbo option. I guess I acn only hope.
  • 1gr8chf1gr8chf Member Posts: 1
    I live in central PA and am looking for a daily driver. I do territiry sales in some of the northern counties where i know it snows good! Currently drive a '98 beetle which is great on gas but is lacking in the cargo area. Have any of you driven the cruizer in the snow? How did it do? Also how has gas mileage been? probably looking to drive 150 mi. a day is this a car you would recomend?
  • louieptlouiept Member Posts: 1
    Hi ,
    My name is Louie ,Retired and living in West Florida.
    In April 2000 I went to look at the Chrysler Minivan but when I saw that I could have two PT's
    for the price of one minivan I ordered the PT's
    and took delivery April 14, 2000.
    I took the white one and my wife took the Silver
    one.
    With almost 1 1/2 years of everyday use and loving every minute ,we are unable to find any
    reason to bring them in for service other them
    the regular routine maint. (oil & filter changes).
    I have over 17,000 miles and my wife is close with just over 16,000.
    Being we both love driving them , we found ourselves at times taking both cars rather then fighting as to who will drive.
    This is the ideal marriage having his & hers PT's.
    The reason we were able to get two so fast was because we did not order the Limited Edition with all the options. All we wanted was auto/trans - air cond - am/fm/cass - tinted glass - pwr/windows & cruise.
    We find that there are more Limited Editions on the road then Base models, now which one is Limited ??
    Louiept
  • bevdismukesbevdismukes Member Posts: 1
    Well. We finally took delivery after 17 months. We got the new color of Light Almond. It's beautiful--the drive, the car, and all.

Our other car is a Lexus, and excepting a few creature comforts, it's an easy transition. The PT is fun, a solid ride, and surprisingly quiet.

We look forward to a long happy life together.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    We just took delivery yesterday of a 2002 Touring Edition in Inferno Red. My initial take on the car is that it is a tightly put together vehicle with some very thoughtful touches. Unfortunately, I won't have much opportunity to test out my initial feelings as it is my wifes car and I may not be able to pry it out of her hands. As we speak, she is on her first antique hunting run, across the Bay bridge into Marylands Eastern Shore.

The ride with the touring suspension is very firm as are the seats. Steering is very tight and requires more effort than my other two rides. It's not unpleasant, just different and I'm sure that with a little more exposure I will find the other steering sloppy and ride too soft. The sound system is very good, I really like the (now) standard AM/FM/CD player, the sound was very clean and crisp when we tried out a cd. I have a feeling that my first few trips with the car will be spent with the owners manual clutched firmly in hand as I learn to use all the features.

BTW, Hi Karen
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Hey back atcha!

Congrats on the PT...or I should say congrats to the wife.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • msu1msu1 Member Posts: 6
    I just turned 9000 on my PT.
    it is running good.
    the gas mileage is still about 20 mpg.
    I do a lot of highway driving
    I hope it gets better.
    I took the back seats out, there is a lot of room for my dog back there.
    I do have one problem.
    the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT occasionally comes on.
    But if I keep it filled with gas it OK.
    MSU
  • cmimcmim Member Posts: 9
    Picked up '02 Cranberry Touring - ABS/CD-Cass./moon roof/pwr seat/cruise/side airbags/auto
    for MSRP-21,280. Coming from years of p/u's and suv's and going to a PT is quite a change. But it is refreshing to get back the nimbleness and ease of parking you getin a car like vehicle but still retain the versatilty the suv's have. I think the PT is a great compromise and with it's great retro looks it was an easy pick for me. Looking forward to having fun driving again.

msu-1 - it could be a vacuum problem with the gas cap. A new gas cap might fix the problem
    His suggestion that two PT's were the way to domestic harmony was right on the button. The end of December, taking advantage of the Home for the Holiday incentives, I took delivery of my second PT, a steel blue Classic 5 speed. As this is my daily commuter, I don't need all the bells and whistles that the TE or LE offer. The 5 speed is also a blast to drive. I still get visitation rights to the Inferno Red TE, whenever it needs gas.
  • heart93heart93 Member Posts: 15
    And I'm very satisfied. I have about 4,000 miles on my Black 2002 Limited (4 whl ABS w/ tract control, heated seats, and upgraded radio being the only options). I bought it for 2% below invoice & could have picked one up the same day, if I had been willing to take an automatic. I wasn't thrilled with the acceleration & knew I wanted a 5 spd, so I waited around 2 weeks for a 5 speed that had already been ordered to arrive.
    This is my first Chrysler product, and so far I'm very pleased.
  • pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    2002 Almond Pearl 5spd. Just turned 10,000 @ 90+ miles a day! -PTzPT
  • roaminchargerroamincharger Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, just ordered an cranberry PT.My wife went CRAZY over the PT when it first came out. I never saw her so exited over a car as she was over the PT's We waited until the dealer markups went away and discovered a rebate in effect until 2/28 so we may the plunge.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I traded in my sedan on a new PT. Like many I thought I would wait but sometimes you have to treat yourself a bit. Mine is an Almond color. I thought about getting the Automatic but living in the mountains I decided I would buy a stick at least one more time. I wanted to do some of my own things so one of the few options I added over standard was wheels and rims. I am going to order my Spider spikes this weekend for next winter so I will be ready. I can't see how I couldn't like this car and the after market people are all over the place if you wish to fix one up even more. Believe me I looked at lots of other wagons but kept coming back to the PT. Good luck to the rest of you.
    That almond is one cool color. It was high up on my list of colors to choose from. My wife has an Inferno Red Touring edition with an Automatic transmission. I later got a steel blue classic with stick. Both are a blast to drive I know you will be very happy with yours
    I looked real hard at the Inferno Red Cruiser. I have had nothing but red cars for years now. Well at least one car has always been red. Where I live there are very few garages and the winter can take it's toll on bright dark colors. I know I can make a shelter for my car and I have a real good car cover. But this is the lightest color car I have ever had and I think I will like it. There is something to be said about owning a PT that only Jeep and old sports car owners seem to have. That sense of friendship and respect owners seem to show each other. I have see a few other PTs and almost always the other people wave. In the last few years I have had a Prelude that once I started fixing it up to look and drive better seemed to anger every other small sporty car driver I ever met. If you pull up to a light and even look at them they take off from that light like they were at the Winter Nationals. Same thing happened when I lowered my SC-1 and put a cold air intake on it. So far I have noticed other PT drivers are more than willing to stop and talk and share what they are doing and give Ideas on what you can do easier.
  • marrelammarrelam Member Posts: 2
    I'm SO EXCITED!! I just brought home my 2002 deep cranberry PT Cruiser! It's the base model with some extras(moonroof,dark tint,pwr group). I traded in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee - this will be a big change. I love how the interior lights dim on/off when opening/closing the doors! I can't wait to cruise around in it tomorrow and learn all of the neat things to do with it. I'm interested in learning about any other web sites for the cruiser. Anyone want to compare deals on it? Lease or buy prices? I just don't know if I got as good of a deal as I think I did?
  • defcon1defcon1 Member Posts: 2
    http://www.newjerseycruise.com/

Mark you calendars everyone. We are holding the event again this year. Last year's event was put together in just 2 months. This year will be bigger and better.

PT Cruiser enthusiasts and their guests from all over the U.S. and Canada will come together to the central New Jersey shoreline at Seven President's Oceanfront Park in Long Branch on Saturday, October 12. This gathering will include a public show-and-shine, free door prizes, music, entertainment, award ceremony, raffles and much much more. Proceeds from this event will benefit Starlight Children's Foundation.

Last year more than 167 PTs from 16 states and Canada were in attendance.

Please visit the webpage for more info:

http://www.newjerseycruise.com/

Hope to see you there! :)

You can second guess your decision till the cows come home. The bottom line is: Are you happy with the car? Are you reasonably happy with the price you paid? If so, don't worry about it. Just go out and cruise. When I bought my wifes car in October, prices were higher than when I bought mine in December. Did I get a bad deal on my wifes car? Not for the time I bought it. Is my wife happy with the car? Yes, she loves it and threatens to bodily harm anyone who touches it.

I like the interior lights also. That option is called theater lighting as the lights dim the way they dim the lights in the theater at the beginning of the show. I think it's a cool effect.

There are a few enthusiasts groups for the cruiser. One of my favorites is

www.ptenthusiasts.org

They are a nice group of people.
  • hildihildi Member Posts: 1
    I've had a PT since 4-2001. Had an 8 month wait after ordering. Never even test drove it, but knew we wanted on. Gave up an SUV, wondered if I made a mistake especially with our Nebr. winters, but we didn't. I love it, and proved that I could plow through deep snow also. Haven't had any problems, but was dissapointed with the mph. Would consider trading for a 03 turbo, if they come out with them. Was amazed how it handled through the mts. and the power it had to climb. Very happy cruiser.
    We don't get that much snow where I live but what little I have been in hasn't been too hard to drive in. I do have a set of the spike spiders that clip on to the wheels in case it ever gets too slippery for me. As far as the MPG goes I was prepared to get a bit worse than I do. I have a 3000 foot climb everyday but that means it is a 3000 foot drop everyday also. I have averaged 24-26 MPG from the first week I brought the car home. The K&N hasn't changed milage that much but it pulls the mountain a bit better. I love the room this car offers. Today I went to the DYI store and came back with several flats of plants, a Microwave, and a planting pot. All fit in the back with the rear seat still in the upright position. I gave up some MPG from my Sedan but I got a lot more useful car. Next comes the new exhaust.
  • karluvver1karluvver1 Member Posts: 19
    My daughter and family blew the trans. on their 92 Dodge van and the price to fix was more than the blue book value, so I gave them our 88 ply. voyager and since I had always admired the Pt cruiser I shopped for one. We test drove a PT at one dealer and were impressed. However they were selling them at MSRP. Then we went to another dealer who had about 50 on the lot and found exactly the one we wanted and their price was $1500 below MSRP. We went for this deal.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Do you drive a PT Cruiser or Dodge Viper? If so, and if you're willing to talk with a major daily newspaper about your car, please send your vehicle info and contact info including phone number by noon Eastern on Monday, June 10 to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or lori_f@eudoramail.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Come join us in this new Wagons Board discussion: PT Cruiser Turbo. See ya there! Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • cheribaybeecheribaybee Member Posts: 11
    Funny how so many here seem to be in Pennsylvania.
    I'm in Pittsburgh. Just got my PT today! Red Inferno pearl coat, Limited Edition...LOVE it. Been sitting in it in the garage all day reading the manual. Would be cruisin' but it has poured all day and don't want to get him wet. :) I'm in love.
  • jrockingjrocking Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a car since Thanksgiving. Considering the Honda CR-V, new 2003 Subaru Forester, and now the Mazda protege 5 wagon and PT cruiser. I loved the PT Cruiser when it came out but I live in northern Michigan and decided I needed an All-Wheel Drive vehicle. The price on the Honda and Subaru is high so I began looking at the PT again once I learned it had traction control. Has anyone driven it in slippery, snowy, road conditions? Will the new 2003 PT have better mileage? And most importantly, has anyone seen the horrific safety reports posted on the nhtsa.dot.gov site under consumer complaints? It scared me to think about getting a cruiser - if you read these complaints from PT owners. Any comments please. I'm tired of researching. Thanks.
  • voronvoron Member Posts: 2
    I'm From the Northern VA/DC area, and my 91 Mercury Capri was dying. It was going to cost more than it was worth, and we needed a more roomy car. My fiancee and I were thinking about a compact SUV or pickup, but we both really liked the look of the PT Cruisers. When we saw how inexpensive they were, we went to go test drive one. Well, it turns out that the new 2003 Turbos were in, and OH MY GOD what a difference. It's hard to compare 150 hpr with 215 hpr. We were originally going to get a black one w/purple flames, but we thought the deep cranberry actually looked sportier. (plus it's my favorite color -- though it's more of a wine than a cranberry) It has all the options, full leather interior, auto/stick, moonroof, etc. We are probably getting silver & black custom flames put on. (definitely some flames). Paid 25,700.
    It is totally worth the extra money to get the turbo. Gas mileage isn't bad either -- 24.4 hwy miles in the mountains with A/C on.
    I thought I would miss my little convertible, but whatever! I usually have the AC on in the summer anyways (very hot summer here). This car so ROCKS!
  • smartshopper3smartshopper3 Member Posts: 1
    Going from a 94 Grand Am with all the options to a base model Cruiser with the added convience package there is no comparison. I did alot of researching before finally deciding that this car was the way to go. All around this car is built SOLID. It is very fun to drive and I am constantly getting compliments. I bought this car after searching a wide variety of cars from old to new and after finding out that the PT Cruiser was less money insurance wise (in comparison to other new autos)and it was a solid built car with great reviews and was in my price range. This PT Cruiser was all I needed for my family. This car handles great and the gas mileage is average. You cant get everything you want all the time... Automobiles in itself are risks that we take. The 4 cyl. 2.4 engine has just enough pick up for a car weighing 3100 lbs. I went from a 6 cyl. 3.1 engine and this car does well considering the weight factor. The new turbo well to new for me to comment... It's the first year out thats always a risk in itself also... Anyone interested in the 2003 models 4 cyl engines do just fine.... Not sure about the snow though. .... Lord just keep us safe....
  • redturboboyredturboboy Member Posts: 25
    I traded in a 2001 Red Touring for a 2003 Red Turbo. Runs great, much quicker than I expected when I read they were coming out. 1st fill up 20.5, 2nd fillup 21.5. As good as the 2001.
    First I put on a cold air intake. Next came pin striping with flame outlines. Added a chrome accent grill kit. Today I had a exhaust system added and this car is beginning to take on a life of its own. I want to go to 225x50x16 tires and drop it maybe 1 1/2 inches. It is started to look pretty good.
  • defcon1defcon1 Member Posts: 2
    2nd Annual National PT Cruiser Charity Event

This 3 day national/international event Includes a public show-and-shine, New York City boat trip, private dinner, tons of free door prizes, music, entertainment, raffles, best-of awards ceremony, and so much more. Last year close to 200 PTs from 16 states and Canada were in attendance. Already over 100 PTs have registered coming from 17 states and Canada.

To register or obtain more info please visit:

www.newjerseycruise.com
  • jr48jr48 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I live in central Maryland and just picked up my Cruiser 2wks.ago. Its been great the ride and look is fantastic so much so that my wife always wants to drive my Cruiser. Just wanted to chime in on the discussion . Keep on Cruising, jr48
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    2003 PT Cruiser Limited Edition in Deep Cranberry. I ended up getting one because my 02 Jetta was totalled, and I wanted something with a good interest rate, lots of room, good reliablity, and a good price. I work for Chrysler Financial, so I knew good rates could be had (I got 1.9%/72 mos.). Ended up paying $22,050 for the car before taxes, and $25,500 or so after taxes, 100K warranty, and GAP insurance. Has 66 miles now, just got it tonight.

Look forward to many more happy miles behind the wheel.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    You paid 3450 taxes/license on a 22K car?

My 20-ish K car hadunder/around 1K in TTL! Did they mess with the numbers? Hopefully you can do something about this!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... only add maybe another $800 to $1500. So GAP insurance is something like $1,500? Is it worth it considering you'll probably never have to use it?
    ... my dealer offered my a 7yr 100K warranty (basically adds balance to 4/50K from Mazda for 1900. When I laughed out loud, he dropped the price to 500 :) I still refused (maybe I should have gotten it? I can still get it, it just won't be at 0% any more!)
    Apparently you have a little trouble reading or something. I said the warranty, TTL, and GAP came to $3450. That's not unbelievable actually.

TTL = 1100
    GAP = 498
    warranty = 1840

That comes to $3450 in my book. I actually asked them to lower the price, and she said she couldn't do it. After doing some investigating the next day, I called and told her to cancel the extended warranty and recontract me. So I ended up paying $23,886 on the road for the car. Not too bad, considering the MSRP is $23,325 for it and I got the 1.9%/72 in lieu of the $2500 rebate.
    No need to get all defensive - so I missed that. It still was high, as you yourself realized and got the warranty cancelled. Just looking out for you and letting you know the deal I was offered on warranty.

I was about to congratulate on a great new car puchase, but given the last response I received, I'm afraid another helpful gesture will invite more brickbats.
    First, I am just responding because I haven't checked this section of the board lately.

Sorry about being defensive to your response. I found that the extended warranty's book price was around $1200 and the extended warranties are usually pure markup anyway. I also got a chance to read Consumer Reports and it says the PT is about as reliable as the Civic, so I thought the car should be fine without the warranty for now. How many problems I have with the car in the basic warranty period will determine whether I feel the need to spend for an aftermarket warranty. I have been trouble-free for 5000 miles now, alot more than I can say about the VW this car replaced...
  • daolettedaolette Member Posts: 4
    Just got a 2001 LTD with 3,800 miles on Halloween.
    Negotiated price down to $12,900 from sticker price of $15,900. LOVE this car. It is very nimble. I work with a guy who paid $22,000 for one of the first to arrive in Memphis. He is excited that I got such a deal, but concerned about his cars depreciation. He loves his too.
    I saw mine on autotrader and was shocked that it was still on the lot when I got there. I am driving to Revel Enterprises in Paris TN Friday to get some goodies for the PT. I just printed there brand new 48 page catalog.
    Here is link www.revelenterprises.com
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    There is a flood of PTs on dealer lots with very big discounts available. This is the opposite of what it was like about four years ago. Depreciation isn't so bad now, based on today's actual selling prices. Still not the best, but more in line with most other small cars.
  • daolettedaolette Member Posts: 4
    Just returned from a trip to Revel Enterprises in Paris TN. Very nice facility. Everyone friendly and helpful. It was great to see upclose all the goodies I wanted. Shelled out about $600.00 while there and made a wish list for additional items.
    Can't wait to install goodies on the 2001 LTD
    I got last week. Top item was Airraid Intake.
  • drperez007drperez007 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have a MOPAR Nav System installed...I think it's called the RB1?
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    No, but I know one person that does have it. Not cheep at $1200 or so and one should really have the six disk CD changer (he does) so one can use Nav and listen to CDs at the same time. Has what appears to be the same data base and display information that my MDX has (an Alpine unit). Works the same way except the Cruiser version does not have a touch screen or voice controls, so it is not as easy to input information as one might like.
This discussion has been closed.