Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Defender 90/110

13»

Comments

• Options
    dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Do a google sear h for exmoor. They make good replacement seats for Land Rovers, including ones with headrests.
  • Options
    A little late in the reply so I'm sure you know by now that there's tons of things you can do to the aluminium small block rover v8. Originally it was sourced from Buick in the late 60's for the range rover project, but British motorists have been using that block to crank out some very impressive HP to British race cars for decades.
  • Options
    msouthwmsouthw Member Posts: 14
    Hey can you forward me Gary Temple's email/contact info? I was about to drop a letter in the mail but it's always better to cover all grounds.

Msouthw@aol.com
  • Options
    ortellortell Member Posts: 1
    hi there
    my land rover seems to have a problem, i recently changed the clutch plate, pressure plate and clutch bearing. after closing up the gear box the vehicle does not want to start, it just cranks but nothing happens, please help, i might have pulled a cable by mistake
  • Options
    Could be a bunch of things... Usually a truck only needs three things to start:
    Fuel
    Spark (or in this case glow plug)
    Air

Does it strain to start?
    Does it turn over?
    Did you do anything with the starter when you had the bellhousing open?

Can you check that the glow plugs are hot?
  • Options
    mark_cmark_c Member Posts: 8
    This thread started in 2001 with a few predictions over the years of Land Rover North America reintroducing the Defender to the US market. The 2010 Models are now out and I wonder if Land Rover North America will ever bring the Defender Stateside again.
  • Options
    als961als961 Member Posts: 8
    Would you kindly give me Gary Temple's email address. I have a major issue/complaint on my Jaguar XJ8, which neither the dealer nor customer care is willing to provide any assistance and they are unwilling to put me in touch with any market manager or high level person. Thanks very much for your help.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    In its current for the defender can't come back to the states. It must be redesigned first to meet safety and emissions standards.

Supposedly the T5 platform that is under the LR3, LR4 and Range Rover Sport will become the next defender platform but minus the Independent air suspension. When that will happen I have no idea.
  • Options
    sixthflicksixthflick Member Posts: 47
    Is there a way you can get in touch with me privately? CarSpace won't allow me to post email addresses for understandable reasons.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    One party or the other (or both) can their email address to visible in the user profile which then makes it accessible only to our members.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Sure. but I don't have your contact information (phone or email). Would you let me know what's the best way to reach you directly. Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    /QUOTE/
    Supposedly the T5 platform that is under the LR3, LR4 and Range Rover Sport will become the next defender platform but minus the Independent air suspension. When that will happen I have no idea.
    /QUOTE/

This is complete conjecture on my part, but based on the com[any's statements that 2010 will be the last year of the current platform Defender, it's conceivable that IF they are going to keep building them, that 2011 would be the first year.

Defender is still a seller for military sales and commercial interests. Not sure about long term viability in the consumer market though?
  • Options
    See my email address in my profile info.
  • Options
    Your email address is set to Private. I am unable to see it.
  • Options
    Check it again.
  • Options
    mark_cmark_c Member Posts: 8
    If Land Rover replaced the front sections of the frame rails with deformable ones (like the newer Jeep Wrangler), add air bags, continue with the roll cage as before, and strengthen the door areas if needed, then I don't see why they couldn't make it pass current DOT regs. I'd expect that the Ford Diesel 2.4 whould pass EPA as well, as it meets EURO emission standards which are strict.

I'm sure I'm not the only Defender fan that would have no interest in a new Defender that uses the Disco3/4 chassis. I'd rather have a Jeep Rubicon any day than a Defender with independent suspension under a uni-body frame. I'm not saying the the latest Disco is crap off road, it's just not a Land Rover in a traditional sense. Full ladder frame, solid axles with an aluminum body. I'm not saying it's superior than the Disco setup, it's just my preference and my view of what a Land Rover Defender (and it's forebears the Series models) is all about.
  • Options
    http://www.lro.com/news.php?sid=350&page=1

Interesting article... complete from scratch rebuild.

Too bad they're losing the beam axle, but I guess independent suspension is where everyone is going...

Hope they do an electronically disconnect-able rear sway bay similar to the Jeep JK. That, and diff lockers in front, middle and rear.

I have the LR3, and wished my front diffs would lock some times. (I have the HD package, so I have the electric rear locker).
  • Options
    nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    Wow, no posts in 2 years. Anyway, was just at a dealer in NY and he confirmed with management the Defender will be sold in the US market end of 2012 and early 2013. But I cannot confirm this with any article on the web, strange.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@nickr1, the dealer was just a tad optimistic.

"The reintroduction of the Defender into the U.S. market is part of a three-pillar product plan that is currently being rolled out. It consists of the Range Rover line for luxury buyers, the LR4-based line for leisure buyers and the Defender-based line for what Land Rover calls "dual-purpose" buyers.

Expect to see the finished design in the next couple of years, with U.S. sales launching in 2016."

Next-Generation Land Rover Defender Will Be Sold in the U.S.

• Options
    vintagechaservintagechaser Member Posts: 1
    have you seen the latest drawings??? wish they would simply redo the old one ... or the used market is going to be rich with buyers. Saw this posted on FaceBook today http://seconddaily.com/for-sale-300tdi-swapped-defender-90/