Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• alg7alg7 Member Posts: 3
    I'm not a car expert by any means; if they start, get to and from work, and need minimum garage time to keep going, call me a happy camper. I'm on the verge of overriding my gut feeling to distrust low priced cars with tons of toys, and popping for an Elantra GT. Gotta commute 1.5 hours in LA traffic; anyone have any experiences that would make me think twice before choosing this car? Price is not a major consideration. Also thinking about an Accord, Mustang, Solara and G20. Any input is welcome.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The Solara is an excellent car. My dad bought a 99 SE V6 model in February 1999. It now has 105,000 miles on it as he drives at least an hour each way to work every day. It has had absolutely no problems. The timing belt looked perfect, but was replaced at 90,000 miles. He loves the car and wouldn't even consider a new RAV4 or even a Camry just because it drives so well and is very comfortable. I must admit, it does ride very well...and pricing doesn't appear to be that bad either. Good luck choosing!
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    With the list given, I too would suggest the Solara (or a standard Camry if four doors are important), or to save some money, a Corolla. The Accord and G20 should also do as well.

It really depends of course on what you want. If you just want a quiet place to sit in traffic, without worrying about future breakdowns, any midsize Japanese nameplate vehicle should do. If you don't value serentiy so much, a Japanese nameplate compact would do equally well, not to mention save money at purchase, insurance and filling time.

I spend about 40 minutes per day in LA traffic, and chose a Mitsubishi Galant. LA traffic is not where the limits of acceleration or cornering can be explored, but rather a place where (for me) a comfortable seat and very good sound insulation are very important.

Good luck!
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    The V6 version of any of those cars you mentioned should do you well.

Personally, if I was going to get a 4 cylinder, I would go ahead with the Elantra GT. If you can drive stick- buy the GT with a stick! You'll appreciate your choice!

Regardless of its price the Elantra GT is an excellent car in comparison to its competitors. I have 30K on my 2000 Elantra with only a 15 minute dealer visit to fix the horn. Other than that- no problems.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I was thinking about something as it relates to quality. Some time back, someone (on this board or another that I frequent) brought up the fact that the cars of today (including the Korean brands) are better than cars of ten or twenty years ago in terms of quality.

What I was thinking about is the fact that we are not comparing the cars of today with the cars of yesterday. We are comparing the cars of today among themselves.

And on that basis, the quality of the Korean cars is definitely below average.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I mentioned above that my car had a defect with the horn that surfaced about 1000 miles.

That plus my tires needed to be balanced. Two very small problems that would not have been differentiated on JD Powers intial quality survey. Making that survey, IMHO, pretty useless.

The survey would be more useful if it reported what types of problems are there along with their frequency.

I have not seen Consumer Reports quality report on the 2001 Elantra. I'm curious do they differentiate the problems? Does the 2001 Elantra have more electrical problems than say, the Honda Civic? Etc, etc...
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    The older civics are a bad choice to compare against because in CR they are pretty much gods. According to CR NOTHING starts wearing out until 3 years into their use. I'm not so sure about he brand new model. I've heard they have had some teething issues. The predicted reliability is only average for the 2002.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    mundane looks of Honda's Civic and Kia's handsome Spectra twins together with a warranty that's unbeatable looks good. Real good.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    They're "Targeting Young Buyers," auto.com says today. Yeah, like buyers in diapers -- their new "vehicle" -- to be produced right here in the good ol' USA by the end of THIS YEAR -- looks like a Fisher-Price toy! And guess what -- it's based on the Civic! Check it out about halfway down the page (with a photo gallery to boot) at:

http://www.auto.com/

Man, if this is what Honda's stylists are moving toward, look out -- WAYYYYY OUT -- for the next-generation Civic and Accord!!!

Puuuuuke! (There, have I stated my opinion?)

;-)

Meade

P.S. Shouldn't it be called the "Model Y?"

they score a few bonus points for trying to design SUV bodies. Compared to what a consumer can choose from them now you gotta perk up a wee wink to this news. More importantly your link led me to Hyundai's story about their new plant location. We should hear any day now. Interestingly I gleaned a bit of REAL news inside that article as well. Kia vehicles of some sort will also roll off those new factory lines. This is it boys......import fees to South Korea are 7 or was it 8% compared to America's 2.5% import fees...hummmm...who's winning here?

I visit auto.com every day. If you want to keep up with what's going on in the automotive world on a daily basis, you can't beat it. Check out the link to Reuter's Automotive Wire at the top of the page too, if you really want the latest news!

Meade
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    That's one thing I really do agree with you on. The Honda line up is pretty mundane. The last civic that looked good was the 1989ish Civic HB. (it couldn't be because I owned one for 6 years) Even the RSX is ho-hum mundane.

I suppose we've probably covered this but has anyone noticed that the Toyota lineup is getting really.....ugly? I mean even the Lexus's are kinda "thick" looking. (except for the is300 which I like) It's like they are making all of their cars match the Echo.
    except for the Echo, they're trying to make all their cars look like the Camry. BORRRRINNNGGGGG!

Meade
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    I own a 2001.5 Elantra GT and I use it for commuting 50 miles R/T in suburban NYC. After 14,000 miles I've had no mechanical problems and the car has proven to be trustworthy. I did have to take it to the dealer once to have the "check engine" lamp reset (caused by careless pump jockey forgetting to tighten the fuel cap - in NJ we cannot pump our own fuel) but that adjustment was free. Our GT is an automatic, which I reccomend if you drive in traffic. The GT handles well and is also reasonably fuel efficient (I get about 25.5 mpg in stop-and-traffic). It's also much quieter than some other compact cars I test drove. The Michelin tires are noisy on concrete, though.

I've never owned a Korean car before but I must admit that I am impressed by our Hyundai. I was a little skeptical at first but I haven't regretted the purchase at all. My wife and I thought the Elantra GT was the best value for our money.

Another fun commuter car you might consider is the Mazda Protege. That was our second choice.

Good luck in your search. If you choose the Elantra you won't be disappointed. Let us know what you decide.

Happy Motoring.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw in USA Today today that Honda and Toyota are fed up with their low ratings for customer experience at dealerships (below average, way down there with the likes of, gasp, could it be...Hyundai! For shame!!). Anyway, they are taking steps to improve the dealer experience, including special training that will cost about $10,000 per dealer, refunded when the dealership personnel take the training. The training will include, according to the article, tips on how to properly explain to a customer that the price on a car is above MSRP and the etiquette for placing customers on waiting lists (I am not kidding, that's what the article said). No word in the article on what kind of steps Hyundai is taking to improve their dealer service. Maybe they could copy Honda and Toyota, e.g. price cars over MSRP, but be real nice about it.
    I'll need $500, sir. BTW-that's non-refundable if you change your mind! Also, it does not apply towards your purchase if you decide to hang in there and wait! ***BIG CHEESY SMILE FOR THE BEFUDDLED CUSTOMER!*** That'll bond them with their local Honda dealer, all right!

• protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "I AM sorry about your credit rating score, sir." "BTW-that 3.9% apr interest rate is only for customers with a 50% down payment." "You will need to pay our special "credit bandit" interest rate of 21% apr." "That long line over there?" "Jeez,...that is the line to our service department." "BTW, our 10 year warranty does not apply towards all needed repairs, sir." "Everyone knows a transmission is a wear and tear item." *BIG CHEESY SMILE FOR THE BEFUDDLED CUSTOMER!* That'll bond them with their local KIA dealer, all right!
  • alg7alg7 Member Posts: 3
    Your input was invaluable, but you won't believe the (semi)final decision. Just came home with a Buick Rendezvous. You all made me realize that what was most important of all the possible strengths the car might have is comfort and peace and quiet. Having driven either a minivan or SUV for the past 10 years, I found that the upright seating and better visibility was more relaxing and easier on the back. We'll probably end up with an Elantra GT in the driveway before too long, and then I can have my cake and eat it too.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    I'm certain you'll like your Buick. I once flirted with the idea of purchasing and older-style Aztek (they were practically giving them away here in NJ) but the wife nixed the idea due to the car's appearance. Plus, it wasn't the best choice as a commuter.

I give credit to much-maligned GM for designing such a versatile interior in the Rendezvous/Aztek twins, but I gotta wonder what the heck they were smoking over at Pontiac when they designed the exterior!!

Enjoy your new wheels.
    Well, you don't have to worry about an Accent having power seats. :) Or moonroof and nav either, at least in the U.S. Nor cruise. Maybe they'll offer a base version of the hybrid with the roll-em-up windows and manual locks for people like you.
    >>> "Everyone knows a transmission is a wear and tear item." <<<

For the sake of providing accurate info to prospective car buyers who follow this forum, here is a quote from the Hyundai Warranty book regarding what the 10 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty covers (Kia's should be the same, if not would a Kia owner please post a correction):

"Tranmission/transaxle: Case and all internal parts, axle shafts (front), constant velocity joints, front hub bearings, seals and gaskets, torque converter and converter housing and clutch cover and housing."
    with jealous owners of other makes who unfortunately paid WAY TOO MUCH for their cars that DON'T LOOK AS GOOD AS THE COMMON KIA OR HYUNDAI. Kia and Hyundai both cover "the case and all internal parts....(read post #1421 just above). Duh! There's no need for unjustified paranoia about purchasing a South Korean car. I'll include Daewoo in on this 'cause I think they'll click in America as well and I don't doubt their reliability AT ALL. Sit back and watch as Hyundai and little bro Kia soar in popularity. My love for my beloved Sephia(now in somebody else's capable hands)and my Sportage grows daily. iluvmysportage? Yeah, I've thought about switching. I was in the dealer for the Sportage's 1st oil change a couple months ago and the finance guy showed me a Buick Rendezvous that was parked right up close to the door. I think it was priced around $27,000-$29,000 and looks-wise it was kind of impressive. The interior was well-appointed in luxury. I believe he told me it had read on-windshield graphics available for the driver with GPS info.,etc. like some of our military jets have. Unusual body styling but kind of appealing, really. Congratulations, alg7, you done well!

Well said. And as for you iluv, don't you ever get tired of typing the same thing over and over?
    John, when is the re-designed Toyota Corolla coming out? I owned a 1994 Toyota Corolla DX and it was a truly awesome car. The lack of rear passenger space and comfort was the only reason, I sold it in 2000. My 4 year son was always kicking the backs' of the front passenger seats. I've heard the redesigned Corolla has improved the rear passenger comfort. I would like to check this out first hand.

-Larry
    The 2003 Corolla is already in some dealers. Although, I'd say mass numbers will be in by the second week of February at the latest. Probably even this week or next week. I have heard wonderful things about this Corolla. I hear the backseat space has been greatly increased. The materials used are a huge step above of the past generation. I think my 1996 was built very well and I would assume the new Corolla is built just as well with the way the Japanese Yen has compared with the dollar. Economics is very confusing at times! Even people who are Honda fans like the Corolla better than the new Civic. It's sure to be a hit. Toyota has even allowed for the possiblity for an increase in production numbers. www.toyota.com has all the info on th enew Corolla. Wish I could afford one! haha they look so good too....even the CE which now has color keyed door handles.....which i thought was always a problem in earlier Corollas. Standard CD player too on every car. Definitely going to be a hit!
    Sounds good, I would love to do a comparo on the 2002 Honda Civic and the 2003 Toyota Corolla. Kind of like Ali and Frasier coming out of retirement to show the new breed of boxers a little class.

-Larry
    Buick Rendezvous mini-review in there at the end of my last post just for "equal time for American car reviews purposes." My Hyundai-Kia comments need not alter in any way. Some truths aren't up for change. Anybody surprised to see Pittsburgh fall to N.E. today in the AFC final? It's N.E. vs. St.Louis for the BIG one boys!

Or like when George Forman stopped selling grills long enough to come back, at age 48, and win the heavyweight title a few years back.
  • lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    Having Driven a 2002 Civic LX before and a 2003 Corolla CE last week, I can make a few observations. (Both were automatics)

Engine: Civic's 1.7 gets the nod for smoothness and emits a more pleasant tone throughout the rev range. The Corolla's 1.8 does have more grunt especially above 4000rpm when the variable valve timing kicks in.

Ride/Handling/Drive: It's really a toss-up in this category. The Civic rides a bit more firm and the Corolla soaks up bumps better. I didn't notice any "floatiness" in the Civic that the 2001 was renown for. Both handle about the same; I would expect the wider tires on the Civic EX and Corolla S/LE will help improve road holding a bit. Visibility is better in the Civic with its greenhouse.

Comfort/Convenience/room: Ingress/Egress was better in the Corolla due to its higher seats. I found the front comfort was about the same while the Corolla back seat was roomier and more comfortable. The Corolla had more useful storage bins including a center console that holds 14 CD's. The Corolla's trunk is also slightly larger though the Civic's opening is in turn slightly larger.

Quality/Workmanship: Here's where I think the Corolla really shines. The interior materials, color schemes and design combine to make a more substantial and luxurious compact car experience. Both cars have excellent exterior quality though the Corolla's coat of paint seem thicker.

Styling: This is purely subjective of course, but I prefer the Corolla's new look. I liken it to a cross between a Jetta and a Camry. The previous Civics, 88-91, 92-95, 96-00 versions, were leaders of the subcompact/compact pack in styling when they first came out. I feel the current version has lost that advantage.

Value: I like Honda's simplified options scheme of the DX/LX/EX. However, by choosing options carefully in the Corolla, you can get it to cost (MSRP) about the same, comparable equipped.

Well, I have negotiated a price and put a deposit down for a Corolla S 5spd. Being a 13 year Honda loyalist, it was not an easy decision. But, IMHO the Corolla has improved so dramatically so that it will be hard to ignore as an alternative for even Honda loyalists.
    I'm just glad to be able to say I drive a predecessor of the totally awesome 2003 Corolla.
    As improved as the new Corolla is, I wish I could be writing about purchasing an IS300, TL or an A4. Though I can afford one, my 90 mile a day commute will just make it too costly to get an $30K car. The Corolla will serve me well as I pile up 200K+ miles over the next 10 years.
  • bjfrank42bjfrank42 Member Posts: 51
    I've been gone for a month and not a thing has changed. Everyone still has the same opinions.
    My 2000 Sephia now has 24000 miles in 15 months. Still no problems. Rides fine. Cost of ownership exceptionally low. 7 oil changes at $12.50 each and a 15000 mile checkup that cost $45.00. About $150 total. Not too bad. Bought a Jeep Liberty last week. Definitely a more solid vehicle. You notice the Sephia is not made with the same materials.
    Nice job with the comparo, Lawrence. :-}
    "I've been gone for a month and not a thing has changed. Everyone still has the same opinions."

B.J., does this mean you will check back in another month. If so, thanks for the warning. I'll take off that day, so I don't bore you again.
    ;-O

-Larry
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    I just talked to a friend who has a Saturn with 150,000 trouble free miles. The total maintenance costs (in addition to normal oil and oil filter change) has been less than $150.
    My niece has an 85 Camry LE that she got from my sister when she got a new 94 Ford Taurus. The Camry has 200,000+ trouble free miles. The Camry cost less than $15,000 when new so it would fit under the $15k ceiling for this forum.
    $150 for maintenance in 150,000 miles (not including oil changes) sounds too good to be true. I'm sure Saturn would love to hear this story--probably make an ad out of it. Any idea if the owner stuck to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule? For instance, most cars have a fairly extensive servicing at 60,000 miles. Does the owner do his/her own maintenance? I'd also expect that the car would have needed at least one new set of tires, an exhaust system, a battery, a set or two of new wiper blades, and maybe other bits and pieces--at least one new set of belts, for example.
    Protegextwo...Never said it was boring. Just was hoping a few new topics or opinions would show up. At least I've noticed a few people have at least driven the cars they criticize now. If memory serves me right you always criticize the Korean cars even though you haven't driven them.

Major...did you friend (can't remember exactly who you said) get the Kia and if so how do they like it?
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    I will try to contact my friend to ask these specific questions you posed.
    It may be that some people do not consider replacing tires or battery as maintenance. I will also ask what model and year of the Saturn. I do not see my friend as often since I retired May 31, 1996 and I have not even seen the Saturn.
    "If memory serves me right you always criticize the Korean cars even though you haven't driven them."
    by BJ FRANK42

B.J.,I'm pretty sure your memory is faulty. I have my opinions on Korean cars, nonetheless; I challenge you to find a single post in this topic were I "critized" any of the Korean vehicles. The one exception, might be the KIA produced vehicles. BTW, I rented a KIA Rio for a week, while on vacation in the Florida Keys and I posted my somewhat favorable impressions here at this discussion. I have also expressed my interest in the 2002 Elantra hatchback. Truth-be-told some of the regulars here have changed my opinion on the improving build quality of Korean cars. BTW, I apologize for snapping at you in my last post. My bad. :-) B.J., welcome back!

-Larry
    I am picking up my 2003 Corolla S 5spd tomorrow; $400 over invoice. My dealer still added two costs I wasn't crazy about: 1) Mid-Atlantic Toyota distributor fee - $267 and 2) Wholesale reserve fee - $145. I guess they are charging me the $145 to pay their interest to their lender though the car will be on the lot for merely 48 hours until my pick-up. I wasn't going to nickel and dime given $400 over invoice was not too bad for a brand spanking new model. The total came out to be $15732 before tax and tags.

I ordered the Sport plus package: spoiler + Aluminum wheels. Unfortunately, Toyota low on supply for the wheels so the car arrived with with steel wheels/hub caps. I get a "warranty" order raincheck for AL wheels and the wheels will arrive in a few weeks. I will try to keep the hub caps clean and avoid scraping the curb too hard when I park ;-)

I will provide an in-depth description later once I get some miles on it. I will be out-of town and renting a car for a few days next week. I will try to rent a Neon or something like that so I can do a comparison with the Corolla later.

* I posted the aforementioned in the Corolla topic but things are pretty slow there so . . . you can tell I am pretty excited, huh?
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    Went to the Montreal Auto show today. Here are my impressions of the cars I saw:

2003 Corolla S: Looks nice, like a mini camry. It looks narow though. I know they increased the size of the car but I think all you get is head room extra. I had the seet back like I would usually in my Protege and my knees were touching the dash (low dash). With the seat like this, there was hardly any room in the back. So if Toyota increased room in the Corrolla, I would have hated to be in the previous Generation Corolla. I looked in the engine bay and there is tons of extra room, front and back. You figure they could have moved the engine forward a few inches to make more room in the car? I think the car was Echoized...grew taller. The interior was OK. Really like the steering wheel.

2003 Matrix/Vibe: When compared to the Corolla, this thing is enormous inside. Found it much more comfortable and very spacious. I liked the exterior styling of the Matrix more thatn the Vibe. The enterior was a toss up. Both were pretty good. I saw pricing for the Matrix for Canada....about 24000 for the topline 180 HP model. Pretty good if you ask me. You get the Celica drive train for alot less...although this is a much heavier car!

Ferarri 360 Modena F1 convertible: OK, we can all dream can't we. This car is stunning!! It was dark blue with a tan enterior. To die for! Buy far the nicest car there! It had the sequential F1 style shifting mechanism too.

Neon R/T: You know, I was a little biased towards neons becuase of their harshness,poor reliablility, and previous ugly interiors but this car looked very nice. It was quite tastfull. The enterior was very nice. It had crome ringed guages (like in the 300M) and some other nice trim on the dash. Leather seats too although low quality.

Sentra SE-R V-spec: Well, it's tiny, front and back. The gauges are very ugly. The seats aren't as bad as in the pictures but I still don't like them. The exterior...well, it still looks like a Sentra with really big wheels. Can't get rid of that droopy but!

Infiniti G35: Very good looking until you get to the back! I don't know why nissan insists on having the back of the trunks of all their cars slope forward toward the front. It really makes for a droopy but. 350Z was the same. So was the Altima. I think nissan should go take another look at a BMW 3 series rear end and try and get it right before they copy that car.

Subaru WRX: WOW. By far the most comfortable car seats I sat in today. Alot of padding on the side to hold you in place. Interior was very functional. It won't win any awards for most stylish but it is nice looking. I like the outside as well. I really don't mind the lights that much. The engine is one sweet piece of machinery. But for $35000 in Canada, I don't think it's worth it. Once they bring the Mitsu Evo here, the price will drop becuase of the competition.

Dodge Ram 1500: BIG. This truck is HUGE! It has 20 inch wheels! Must be expensive to replace.

Honda Civic SiR hatch: Very Euro when you see it from up close. The way the windshield meets the hood reminds me of small Euro hatches like the VW Lupo. I think I could get used to the dash mounted shifter.

Well, that's a short list of some of the cars I saw today and my first impressions on them. Most of this is just opinion and the most important factor of each car car is missing...how they drive. Maybe I'll get a chance to test drive them all someday...except for the Ferrari maybe:)
    Apology accepted and please accept mine. I must have mistaken you with someone else. (remember I've been gone awhile). Friend of mine just bought the Protege 5. Loves it. I must admit it looks nice. Seems to get great gas mileage also. He only filled it up once in January. He drives about 20 miles a day to and from work. He's keeping an Excel spreadsheet of all money he is spending on the car to get a true vehicle cost. Don't know what he's going to compare it too, but it should be interesting.
    I saw a report today in today's Star Tribune, Newspaper of the Twin Cities, listing the top 20 automakers by worldwide sales for 2000, as researched by Automotive News Data Center. Here's the top 10:

1. GM 8.591 (in millions)
    2. Ford 7.350
    3. Toyota 5.703
    4. VW 5.161
    5. DaimlerChrysler 4.749
    6. PSA Peugeot Citroen 2.878
    7. Fiat 2.646
    8. Hyundai 2.635
    9. Nissan 2.629
    10. Honda 2.540

I was surprised that Hyundai sold more cars in 2000 than Nissan, Honda, Renault, and others. It's possible that, based on Hyundai/Kia's strong sales growth in 2001, Hyundai may now be as high as #6 worldwide.

Another surprising (to me) factoid from the article: what is the biggest seller in Japan for the past eight years running? Hint: Corolla was #2.
  • wiredsungwiredsung Member Posts: 7
    The bestselling car in Japan is: a SUSUKI?!
    The best-selling vehicle in Japan for eight years running is the Suzuki WagonR, a small minivan/wagon.
  • wiredsungwiredsung Member Posts: 7
    Oh yeah I am soo good ^_^
    I really dig wagons (and hatchbacks). When I bought my Galant, I would have bought a midsize Japanese wagon if such a thing was available in my price range (Legacy was just too expensive). As it was, I VERY seriously considered the compact Mazda Protege 5, Hyundai Elantra GT (I know, not Japanese and not a real wagon) and even the Suzuki Esteem, which while not highly rated in the press, is still a smart-looking little wagon. I also looked at the Saturn L-series wagon, but already having an L200 sedan (wife's car) didn't want two of the same.

Had Honda and Toyota still offered base model, 4 cylinder Accord and Camry wagons, I probably would have spend the extra (even a little past my $2,000 limit) to get one. Too bad the Subaru dealers in my area wouldn't sell me a legacy wagon for under $24,000, or a smaller Imprezza wagon for under $20,000, which is still steep for such a small (albeit excellent) car.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    i think the problem here is to many people standing behind there "brand" and not being open minded . it is kinda like politics , party politics to be exact. and party politics sucks .... be openminded ...the study says this and that study says that ... they can all be fixed to say what you want them to say . use dealer records that are from people that brought the car back for this or that and u will get a lower score than if u ask all buyers of the car . ask only the buyers that didn't bring a car in and u will get a different answer . so it all has to be taken with a grain of salt .

if you want to know about a car ask a person driving it . u would be surprised how many people getting into a car from a supermarket will stop and talk to you about there car . got to sit in my first echo that way , man the center spedo really threw me for a loop .

don't be a "party politic " person . look at each offering on its own merits . not because this mag said this or this survey said that . go see for yourself . don't get me wrong use all those as a tool but rememeber thats what they are tools , not the godspel... alll car makers have there problems american , japanese , korean . none are perfect .
    ya ya ya go ahead and flame me for being the party pooper but lets face is 15k is alot of money for regular people . i don't think you can make a bad choice in any car you can get on the market today . they all seem to proform well , if they didn't they wouldn't be here . sure some give you more than others do for the same costs but that all depends on what you want to spend .

if you are wondering i drive a elantra gt and also own a 160k trouble free mile 95 accent . when i got the gt i could have gotten a car that cost more but why should i ?? i could care less what others think of my car . why spend more than i have to for a money pit . thats all a car is anyway . if it gets me where i want to go and it does so trouble free then what more can you really want ? sure i could look good(and in my mind the elantra gt does look good ) but i would rather look cheap and have money in the bank than look good and make high payments..

my .02$

FLAME ON >>
    I don't think we in the U.S. need to waste any time wishing for a WagonR at a dealer near us anytime soon. I checked it out on the Web and, well, it's a really tiny box. I can see how it appeals to drivers in Japan, with the tight parking over there. It looks like it offers great space and utility for its size. But I can't see many U.S. drivers buying one, when we can buy a roomy compact sedan for under $10,000 or a 7-passenger minivan (Caravan/Voyager) starting at around $15,000.
    SUV/crossover dance called the Topanga. You heard me right, Topanga. That's the name they picked for the US version of Tacuma that's due out here in 2002. Who won the freebie? Priced in the $13,000-$14,000 range?