Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    didn't know the new Accent had an option for a moonroof....pretty rare in this segment, and a definite plus.

Reminds me - my local dealer still has more than a dozen '05 Accents hatches, most manual, a couple automatic, all base models with just A/C as an option. I wonder how low he would go on those....there is a rebate from Hyundai too.

When I said the new Aveo would undercut the others, I meant strictly in base trim. I expect it to be the only subcompact by this time next year that you can actually find on dealer lots and buy for $10K or less.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Probably so, although you may find a loss-leader Accent GS or a stripped Yaris 3-door under $10k, but those will be rare. The question is, would you want one of those stripped Aveos--no A/C, no ABS, maybe no side bags, no power windows and locks on a 4-door? I wouldn't. But then, the first 3 cars I owned were like that--in the mid-late '70s though.
    I would want a car without a power package, even a four-door, no problem. Although I would probably buy the two-door hatch.

ABS and side bags I would gladly skip as long as the price were low low low. A/C I gotta have, and won't Hyundai make it standard on the next Accent? That is the one ace in the hole the Yaris has: A/C will be standard even on the cheapest versions. But in the Yaris, you have to go aftermarket or buy the $800 package to play your CDs - don't know what the '07 Accent has as standard sound system. I know the leftover '05s my dealer has all have a cassette player.

Now if I were going to spend more, then I like the look of the Accent SE very much, BUT I would also strongly consider a Fit for that money, and the only question would be how happy I was without the moonroof (is it the Accent SE that has the moonroof?).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Only the Accent SE has the moonroof available. And A/C isn't standard on the Accent, except on the SE. That is one way to keep the advertised base price down. But I don't expect to see many Accents on dealer lots without A/C. At least the Accent has a very nice sound system standard--a 6-speaker, 172-watt CD system. I think the SE has a 6-CD changer available--or even standard?? I am really curious as to the price of the SE; it is really a loaded little car. Since the Accent GS starts at $11k, I am hoping the SE will stay under $14k with a stick, putting it under the price of the Fit Sport.

I won't forgo ABS and side bags on my next new car because it will belong to my daughter eventually.
    until all these new cars are here! I want to get a personal look at them and a sense of what the pricing is and what combos are actually being built. For Honda/Toyota/Nissan that will be April to June - is that also the time window for the arrival of the '07 Accent?

If I decide to go ahead in the next year or two, it is running 60/40 buying super-basic vs buying totally loaded. If I buy super-basic, I will probably lean toward the Yaris, as I just can't imagine talking myself into an Aveo, and it sounds like the Accent might not get to super-cheap with A/C (but we will see).

If I go fully loaded, then it sounds like it will be the Fit Sport vs the Accent SE. In all of this, the Versa is the dark horse - I don't usually get into Nissans because their quality and reliability are too unpredictable, but I will certainly take a look when they finally arrive.

If you want super-basic, remember the base Rio which doesn't even have power steering but is just over $10k I think. The Accent GS with air would be under $12k list, if they stick with the announced starting price of $11k.
  • mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    ...is this a doable fantasy car?

Take a stripped Canadian Fit DX (about $12,000US), add a manual sunroof, aftermarket cruise control and latched rear windows.

Is it just me? I found the driver door opening on the Rio5 a mite bit too small.
    I sat in the new Rio at the auto show and instantly decided against it. It has the crappiest shifter I have ever laid hands on, including some cars that were a decade old. Plus, I couldn't get the driver's seat adjusted the way I wanted it.

I really hope the new Accent doesn't use the same shifter, because that would put it out of the running, and it seems like a good deal with leather touches, fogs and moonroof, for under $15K.

As for mwqa, I like your idea! You get just what you want without paying for a bunch of stuff you don't. Me, I can't quite get over my long-standing mistrust of aftermarket sunroofs and cruise. In the 80s both were major headaches for their owners sometimes not long after they had been installed. I am sure these days they must be a lot more reliable, and less leak-prone in the case of the sunroofs.

Also, because I trade fairly frequently, I have to be mindful of resale. Cars without power packages are hard to resell (as are stick shifts), so if I have one equipped like that, I need it to be real inexpensive to start with. $13,000 or more for such a car would be more than I were willing to pay. But $10,000 for such a car would be OK.

I've not had any problem with my Taylor Made CONTESSA sunroof in the 10 years I've had my 1992 Mazda 323. Everything else leaks now, but not the sunroof :)

I am worried about aftermarket parts and would much rather get the same configuration from the dealer. However, from the way they bundle their packages, it doesn't seem that they want my business.

Resale value considerations would encourage me to get AC, too.

I trying to keep the cost of the car as low as possible because my Dad is encouraging me to buy his 3 year old Matrix at the 'trade in' price - a great deal, except that it's more car than I need.

If only the same selection of small cars was available second hand! :cry:
    another thing that makes a used car hard to sell is a lack of A/C. For this and other reasons, I think manufacturers that still make it optional are making a mistake. I think Toyota was wise to make A/C standard on even the cheapest Yaris, and Hyundai is making a mistake not to make it standard on the new Accent.

It's kind of funny actually: the A/C is standard on the upcoming $11K base Yaris, but NOT on the $15K base Tacoma short cab! Of course, Toyota builds every Tacoma with the "optional" A/C to get around that problem.

I'm reluctant to buy AC because I look at it as being environmentally quite nasty. :(
    up north you may need it less anyway, eh?

In most of the U.S., it is very useful for either cooling (the southern half) or for defogging (all the areas that get really humid in the summer - Midwest, eastern seaboard).

Anyway, the environmental angle is an important one, but they did go to the non-ozone-damaging refrigerant (R134) more than a decade ago now...

We need AC perhaps 3 weeks a year and most of the people I've asked mention the defogging as the main advantage :)

R134? Oh, yes...the deadly carcinogen. Not a win-win situation for anyone.
    I apologise if I sound a bit sanctimonious in my last post. I do have paper towels in the house and I will probably end up with AC anyway :)
    I am of an environmental bent myself, and the unfortunate thing about cars is, we only consider the environmental impact we see, when in fact more than half the energy our car will consume in its entire life is burned up building it, and believe me, the chemicals they use to build and especially PAINT a car are far from harmless!

So the amount of cancer-causing R134a we might leak into the air over the life of the car might be as nothing compared to all the pollution that went into building the darn thing, with or without A/C!

The only way to satisfy those concerns is to never buy a car again, because even if you buy used, your purchase has probably spurred someone else to buy new, which causes the same damage as if you had bought new yourself. It's a conundrum.

But I placate my conscience by buying the car with the best gas mileage on the market. Last year, that was the Echo, excepting hybrids (millions of poisonous batteries into the waste stream) and diesels (particulate crap into the air, not to mention extremely high NOx emissions). At least I can keep greenhouse emissions from my transport to a minimum.

It looks like for MY 2007, the Yaris will hang onto that prize (highest FE in a straight gas car) for Toyota.

I am also attracted to the Yaris because of it's lower emissions and high fuel economy. I don't know how the Versa is rated, but it's disappointing that the Fit has higher emissions. LEV2 according to the specs vs. ULEV2 for the Yaris.

In fact, low emissions is one of the Yaris' main selling points. It compensates somewhat for the disappointing rear headroom, and lack of flat folding rear seats in the base trim.
  • good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    I haven't had any regrets in buying my 2000 Accent with 45K from a local small dealership in May of '04. Paid $4500. It now has 70K, and not one problem. It runs great and has a ton of room for a small car. The only thing I did to it was install a CD player. The overdrive is AWESOME, too! It really saves on gas.
    This car is so much better than our piece of garbage Plymouth Voyager we bought brand new in 1998.... that is the family vehicle, and it's a lemon!!
    Hyundai makes reliable cars!
    I hope this is helpful for all of you buying a cheap, used car. You get more for the money, and save on gas!
    The only thing I would change would be Power windows/locks, but those are luxuries. It's a reliable and quiet vehicle whether going 25 MPH or 75 MPH! Great car, and surprisingly, it's a tough cookie! My co-worker accidentally rammed into it with her Blazer. Not one single scratch on my Accent. Her bumper fell off, and she had dents. She pushed my Accent back 4 feet, too! Things bounce off of it! (although I can't guarentee EVERYTHING will bounce off of it, don't try that on a daily basis!)
    Anyway, looking for a small car that has a good turning radius, excellent foot room, and top-notch gas mileage? (oh, did I mention it's INEXPENSIVE?) GET THE ACCENT! You won't be sorry. I wasn't. I think next time I'll get an Elantra, which is one size larger. But, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY ACCENT!
    Just take good care of yours, and you'll love it too!
    Hyundai----- YOU GUYS SURE DO KNOW HOW TO MAKE A LONG-LASTING COMPACT CAR!
    They make American automakers look like trash. :shades:
    Wow, we should put that to music! It is an accolade worthy of a Hyundai commercial! :-P

Just kidding good4U! I am glad you like your car so much. these little cars are great, and it would be cool if more people in the U.S. started realizing that.

Any idea what mileage you are actually getting?

• good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    We've figured out that our Accent (at this time) gets about 34MPG in town, and maybe 38MPG on the highway...... about 41MPG if overdrive is on.
    I noticed something interesting--and distressing--while looking at the NHTSA crash test scores today. The Accent's scores have been posted, and they are better than those of the Rio: 5/5/4/3 on the Accent, 4/5/3/3 on the Rio. This continues a disturbing (to me) trend where Kias built on the same platform as their Hyundai counterparts have worse crash test results than the Hyundais. It started with the Elantra and Spectra and continues now with the Accent and Rio. It's also not a good sign that the scores for the Accent for side crashes have gotten worse in comparison to the previous design (although frontal scores have improved). It would be nice to see improvement across the board.

It will be interesting to see how these cars fare in the IIHS crash tests.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I wouldnt really read into the NHTSA tests, there seems to be significant inconsistency in tests of the same cars, without any explanation. For example, in the past, as follower of Toyota vehicles, the previous generation Camry without side airbags has scored anywhere from 2-4 stars for the driver, and 5 to 3 stars for the rear passenger; I'm not aware of any modifications by Toyota, and certainly, since the vehicle started with a 5 star rating for rear in '02, I dont know why they would modify to decrease the rating?

Bottom line: For me personally, I have very little confidence in the NHTSA testing.

~alpha
    Everyone I've talked to likes their Accent. It's a very popular car up here! Solid, cheap to buy, cheap to run... highly recommended. :)
    The NHTSA only tests a car if there have been changes that could make a difference in crash tests. That explains, for example, why Toyota didn't test the 2006 Camry, and why on the 2005 model it ran only the frontal impact test, which did have a different score from the 2004 test.

It's clear that there were changes to the tested Camrys from 2002-2004; for example, the weight of the test cars went up almost 200 pounds between 2003 and 2004. Also, it is possible that one year, a score was right on the borderline between two star ratings, and the next year the score was almost the same but it fell into a different star category. This might have happened between 2003 and 2004 for example. The 2003 front side TTI was 73 and for 2004 it was 70. That might have been just enough to put the 2004 into the 4-star classification. I've seen this kind of thing on the IIHS tests also. The line between classifications has to be drawn somewhere, and there's no such thing in these tests as "almost four stars" or "just squeaked into the Good category".

As to why the side impact score declined a lot between 2003 and 2004, maybe you could ask Toyota about that.

I prefer the IIHS testing myself, but we don't see very many cars get low scores on the NHTSA tests and then get high scores on the IIHS tests. The reverse does happen, though, which makes sense because the IIHS tests are more severe than the NHTSA tests.
    The weight of the Camry did not change by 200 lbs during those years. The weight of the test cars may have changed based on trim, but looking through the manufacturer brochures and a few comparison tests, the Camry weights did not change when holding engine, transmission, trim line consistent.

I do not know about the methodology behind when NHTSA tests vehicles, but even ASIDE from the side impact, the Camry received varying between 4 and 5 stars in the frontal during those years as well. Now, if that WAS the case, the IIHS would have had to retest based on THEIR methodology.

"I prefer the IIHS testing myself, but we don't see very many cars get low scores on the NHTSA tests and then get high scores on the IIHS tests. The reverse does happen, though, which makes sense because the IIHS tests are more severe than the NHTSA tests."

Ok, well that pretty much sums up why the NHTSA tests clearly dont provide a full picture.

IMO, the frontal tests compliment each other as the IIHS has stated- the NHTSA test is demanding of restraint systems, and the IIHS test demanding of structure (and restraints). However, the NHTSA side impact and IIHS impact do not have this type of relationship; the NHTSA test does not expose weaknesses that the IIHS test does not, while the converse is true.

I just dont think I'd really be concerned with the NHTSA side ratings for the Accent and Rio....

~alpha
    Not concerned? OK, show me any car equipped with side bags and curtains (as the '06 Accent and Rio are) that got three stars on a NHTSA side impact test and also got a "Good" score on the IIHS side impact test. I haven't found any yet.

P.S. As I noted, it was the test car weights that changed on the Camry. That is curious in itself, because I would think that Toyota would want the crash test car to be the lightest weight possible, all else being equal, since weight plays a role in the frontal impact results.
    Backy,

With regard to the Camry weights, your comment was

"It's clear that there were changes to the tested Camrys from 2002-2004; for example, the weight of the test cars went up almost 200 pounds between 2003 and 2004."

Your statement led me to believe you were expressing changes made to the Camry resulted in a weight increase, and affected the ratings. If I misread it, I apologize, but I feel this is a logical interpretation.

"OK, show me any car equipped with side bags and curtains (as the '06 Accent and Rio are) that got three stars on a NHTSA side impact test and also got a "Good" score on the IIHS side impact test. I haven't found any yet."

Touche, point taken.

~alpha
    It just proves that no matter how clearly someone tries to explain something, it is subject to mis-interpretation. Now we know why lawyers make those big bucks. ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    just how good a small car can really do on a test like the one given.

Perhaps it's not physiologically possible to pass their test with a small rig. They are people who probably drive the large GM SUV's and pick-em-up trucks and worry excessively about getting into an accident all of the time.

Yikes. I say this: extra driving tests for your types. Forget about the stupid tests.

The Rio LX and Rio5 remain on my futures list, irregardless of any Hollywood trumped-up safety test.

Good driving can do wonders for safety. I will always think that. If I'm smutted out by a large Detroit pick-em-up truck I'll die instantly, anyway, so I won't have to wonder, wait and worry about some silly little things that don't add up to nothing, will I? I take the Tom Petty stance from 'Here Comes My Girl' off of the 'Damn the Torpedoes' album on this one.

Safety tests are for the crappy drivers and the worry warts.

Isn't it interesting that I love the lineup of Kia cars that don't do excessively well at these tests? Humm.

Give me one good extendo-thought reason why I should worry about those tests, after considering the comments I've already made here?

Then tell me the Super Bowl wasn't tampered with this year. What a travesty of justice that affair was.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    would fare more or less OK when hit by another small car, except at really high speeds. Pretty much all of them would be nicely creamed if t-boned by a Hummer or Extinction or Escrapalade. Even a 5-star crash-rated econobox will be flattened by a semi. You pays your money and you takes your chance. The airbags will help, but if Sally Soccermom comes along in her H2 land yacht blabbing mindlessly on her cellphone and plows into you, you're toast whether you're in an Ion, Rio, Focus, Jetta, whatever.

Seems I end up liking the cars with average crash test scores...the Rio5 and Focus ZX5 hatchbacks. Neither are all that impressive in that regard. My Escort ZX2 did pretty well in a side-impact crash...but that was being hit by a Honda CRX. Dished my door in, scratched the Honda. Body shop had to get a door off a junked ZX2...came out well though.

I still am impressed with the Rio5 for my next car...

Todd in Beerbratistan
    me, too. My wife and I have decided to wait on the trade-in for now, though.

The 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 is running great and the better ghastly mileage of the Rio5 or Rio LX sedan will just have to wait a period of...ummm...several months, as far as I can tell. :D

Safety tests are for the crappy drivers and the worry warts.

I agree--safety tests are for the crappy drivers--who are aiming for my car. As for worry warts... how about if you just keep on obsessing about that red Rio5 on your dealer's lot, and let others obsess about the safety of themselves and their families.

Give me one good extendo-thought reason why I should worry about those tests, after considering the comments I've already made here?

Well, there is obviously nothing no one else needs to say to you about this "silly little thing", because you aren't worried about your safety or that of your wife or other passengers in your car.

Re Tom Petty... do you know how much obsession and effort goes into crash protection in race cars? I wonder why, since without it the driver will probably die instantly in a crash and they won't have to wonder, wait, and worry about those silly little things that add up to nothing.

Re doing well in crash tests with a small rig... take a look at this:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=300
    I thought earlier on this board, people were bemoaning the pricing of the Yaris, but it seems pretty dang competitive to me:

Yaris 4 door base 4A including:

Power Pkg (ABS w/EBD, alloys, power windows, doorlocks, mirrors, cruise control, tachometer, upgraded interior trim, AM/FM CD with MP3/WMA capability/aux audio jack)
    All Weather Guard pkg (heavy duty rear defogger, rear heater ducts, etc)
    Remote Keyless Entry
    Side and Side Curtain Airbags

$15,865 (includes $580 destination).

That strikes me as pretty darn reasonable.

~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :)
    It might be reasonable for a Toyota and those willing to pay the "Toyota premium". Those looking for the most car for their money can get a Sonata with all of that equipment except aux input jack plus ESC and much more interior room for about the same price, after typical discounts and rebates. An Accent with similar equipment can be had for about $2500 less (no cruise or aux input jack).
    I'm sorry, but I think it takes a lot more work to find a Sonata at under $16K than you think. I cant configure one that with automatic for that figure on any website, so you're talking about the usual "1 at this price" newspaper dealer ads- and to qualify for those types, Hyundai often requires a Loyalty Rebate, which many may not be eligible for. If you can show me an achievable price on a Sonata 4 door 4A for $15,800, I will stand corrected.

[In Philadelphia, the Sonata is priced by carsdirect.com at $17,256, a far cry from $15.8K. Help me find the additional $1500.]

Addtionally, you're assuming that the Yaris is going to sell at sticker for a long time. At invoice, that Yaris is another grand less, around $14,700, and I dont think you'll find even the most discounted Sonata at that price.

I also don't see an Accent at $13,300 with that equipment on edmunds, carsdirect etc.

~alpha
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Go to fitzmall.com. The Sonata GL Auto is $15,400. Even the move up to GLS Auto is only $15926. The GLS V6 Auto is $16700.

What I am also comparing to the Yaris 4 door S with manual transmission is the Honda Fit Sport with manual. The Fit is $15600. The Yaris S 4 door (base 13900) with comparable equipment- Power Pkg with alloy wheels (+1350), Airbag Pkg (+650), Keyless (+230), Foglights (+110) puts it up to $16200. The Toyota is about $600 higher than the Honda.

The two are in the same ballpark, but neither is a great bargain at these MSRPs. I need 4 doors. I prefer a hatchback, but sadly there is no 5 door for the Yaris.

I also am considering the Sonata; compared to either the Fit or Yaris, it is a bargain. The fuel economy difference is big for me though.
    But that is one (albeit HUGE) dealership network, the country is kind of large (FYI) :)

Why are you only considering a Yaris S? If you spec out the base model, it will be cheaper than the Fit... Yaris S doesnt offer any performance improvements, its just a trim and appearance pkg, like the Corolla S. Interesting that Toyota takes a different route with the Camry and Av, though.

~alpha
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Think about the Hyundai Elantra, it has a 5 door. The Sonata is a full size unit, and the mileage isn't as good.
    The Elantra is ancient if you're going to buy a new car, has poor side impact ratings even with standard side airbags, ABS still is scarce in some areas on the GLS, and fuel efficiency still falls short for the class (its not much better than the larger Sonata's). If you're going Elantra, I'd definitely give up a little in feature content and roll with the Sonata GL.

~alpha
    the 2006 Kia Rio LX 4-door sedan is only $13,055.

For a sedan with factory-installed front, side and side curtain airbags standard that is really a great price. In any color. :D

• chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    Since the Rio Cinco board seems to be dead (no post since Jan/06. I am going to ask my question here...if no one objects. Does anyone know about a "add on" dealer installed turbo kit? I heard about it somewhere, but don't recall where. I read on the net yesterday one is now available for Scion.
    First, I was talking about the present. I realize that in the future there will probably be discounts on the Yaris, maybe even rebates but based on history they would be small ones.

Sonata: check out the Sonata Prices Paid discussion, you will see several examples of Sonata I4 automatics under $16k. Here is typical pricing for my town right now:

Sonata GLS I4: $19,995
    Less General rebate: - $500
    Less HMFC rebate: - $1000
    Less Auto Show discount: $500
    Less Loyalty rebate: - $1000
    Less discount: (assumes invoice pricing; some dealers are going below invoice) - $1500

Final price: $15,500

(Note that Toyota ususally does not offer an Auto Show discount in my area, but Hyundai has for many years.)

As for the Accent, all it takes is the current $1000 rebate and a discount to right around invoice to get the price around $13,300.

Of course, local market conditions vary. If the dealers in Philly won't give you a decent discount on the Sonata, try Fitzmall.
  • sbspencesbspence Member Posts: 16
    I bought my 04 Aveo NEW in Jan/Feb 05 with Auto/AC/Mp3CD for $9295... :) No THAT is cheap! I could've had the same car in a manual for $7995...yes NEW! It was also a left over 04 in Feb 05...DARN my trick knee! :) :P
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    1) Honda Fit
    2) Nissan Versa
    3) Kia Rio5
    4) Toyota Yaris
    5) Hyundai Accent
    6) Dodge Caliber
    7) Suzuki Reno

The Fit Sport was listed as such:
    Highs: Overtly sporty handling, classy interior, quick-witted in all its moves.

Lows: Mediocre rear-three-quarter visability, no dead pedal

"What truly set the Fit apart was its handling-Not a pretense of handling but the real deal, with springs and struts that allowed one gentle rebound and no more, the only car here that felt happy storming the switchback. We later confirmed this when the Fit sailed through our lane change test 6 mph faster than anything else here-faster in fact, than a Corvette Z06."

The Verdict: The go-kart of economobiles.

Basically it wasn't even close, the Fit won the test by 25 points. The only other car that was given any cred was the Versa, which is supposed to have good ride quality and a nice back seat. The honda had the highest score in the following categories:

Driver comfort
    Ergonomics
    Fit and Finish
    Interior styling
    Exterior styling
    1/4 mile acceleration
    Fuel economy (tied with Yaris)
    Engine NVH (noise vibration and harshness)
    Transmission
    Performance
    Steering feel
    Brake feel
    Handling
    Ride
    Gotta-have-it-factor
    Fun to drive

- Taken from C&D forum
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    Showroom observations: 4 door Accent is acceptable. Exterior nice, & front seat adjustable. 4 door Yaris is uninspired, & carries on as a restyled Echo. It makes the discounted Corolla look very attractive. My jaw dropped on seeing the Yaris hatchback. Original design, with tons of "Panache". I've owned a Fiat 600, bug-eyed Sprite, & a Citroen ID-19. This 2 door Yaris will begin another legend. The interior is HUGE. The seat cloth is rich in color, texture, & design. From the drivers seat, everything appears artfully designed, with a vast sense of openess. The back seats feel as comfortable, & spacious as the front. The car is a winner on the showroom floor. Hope its a winner on the move.
    The way I read the review, the Fit is the little car to have if you spend your time in the car carving canyons. And the Versa is the little car to have if you spend your time in the car commuting and running errands. Hmmm... which of those sounds more typical? There aren't many canyons to carve where I live, in the Midwest.

The Rio5 came out surprisingly well... beat Toyota even. The main rub on the Rio5 seemed to be the stick shift. I've driven the automatic and it was pretty smooth, and peppy enough. Plus it returns better fuel economy than the stick. Same negative on the Accent, but it didn't have the hatch versatility and was also softer sprung than the Rio5... again, fine for commuting over pot-holed roads, not so good for canyon carving.

I find it very interesting that the article couldn't spare even a few words to note that the Accent and Rio5 (and I think the Reno) have the most adjustable driver's seats of the bunch, with a two-way height adjuster. They mentioned the down side of not having that feature--e.g. the Versa's front seat cushions were "flat"--but I find it odd they neglected to mention this important aspect of a car--driving position and comfort. Probably were too busy raving about how many ways the Fit's back seat adjusts.

I still think rating a car that has no dead pedal and no seat height adjuster tops in driver comfort and ergonomics is very odd. They also noted the Versa has a superior ride, so I am not sure how they could rate the Fit tops in ride.
    Honda's their pet. Anything Honda cranks out wins, hands down. Their reviews really have to be taken with a grain of sea-salt.

Thats such BS. Honda makes cars that cater to their preferences- precision oriented, finely tuned driving machines. Hmmnn... come to think of it... Honda tops Consumer Reports' ratings for most of the categories it competes in as well... maybe C/D and CR have some crazy alliance that none of us knows about, since C/D routinely mocks CR (but makes similar recommendations).

~alpha