Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Kia and Toyota remain my two front-runners until a nice $8,000 Chinese subcompact can push them out of the way. "

I've read that the Geely's safety is no where NEAR US-spec, so that might be some time.

~alpha
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    fortunately, like I said, I'm in no rush.

It's gonna be fun to see who's gonna be brave with their cash first regarding Chinese car purchases.

I am not against trying a new product, heck, I bought a Kia Sephia in 1999 when a lot of people would just as soon jump off a tall building with an extra-long bungee cord tied to their ankles than buy a Kia, hence my interest in the new Chinese attempts...I...I mean Chinese vehicles on their way to America.

Their sedans will pert-near all fit in this thread's purchase cost confines, BTW, huh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    what cars are you talking about from china?
    other day from Geely Motors in China that they are going to branch out and not just make cars with GM, VW, etc. in joint ventures but make their own vehicle product themselves and ship them to the U.S. for sale. Also S.A.I.C.has made similar pronouncements.

Probably the most prominent one and the one that I first heard about was the Visionary Vehicles Ltd.group from Malcolm Bricklin. Read about them here:

http://www.vvcars.com/main.html

The latest announcement was that Geely Motors of China was going to beat Bricklin's Visionary Vehicles Ltd.group (Chery Chinese-made automobiles)to America by a good 6-12 months or so. Stay tuned on that one.

If you have a fortune laying around and want to start up your own Chery dealership through Bricklin you certainly can. Read about the stipulations at the link I provided there.

BTW-I don't think that Bricklin's Chery's can be called Chery's here in the States. Chevy raised hell about it and sued so Bricklin agreed to use another name. Stay tuned and you'll be seeing the stories of Chinese cars plastered all over the news here, it's really not that long before they arrive here.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    all I hear about the Yaris here on the boards is people looking for 3-doors, and all the dealers are getting is sedans, mostly because that is 80% of what Toyota is building.

It's also funny how people, especially reviewers, are getting hung up on the center-mount IP. I appreciate they are not everyone's cup of tea, but it might be going a little far to say that "consumers and critics alike" are barking about them. Scions have been selling briskly to consumers that clearly didn't think the gauges were such a problem that they didn't want the car. I suspect the Yaris will sell decently as well, regardless of the gauge locations.

Now, will it outsell Aveo and Accent? Nope, I think not. If you are a safety gear fan, as so many are these days, both of those and the Fit also will prove cheaper to buy (and easier to find) the way you want them than the Yaris. And I agree, the Yaris S is such a waste of time - it is the only model that is not a good value proposition - too high-priced relative to other cars in the market, including the Corolla. All it does is add the convenience package from the base model, plus the cosmetic skirts and other junk. For about $1500 extra, I will skip that, thank you very much.

I do love the looks of the 3-door, though. It may yet tempt me to a purchase. But not the sedan.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I love the 3-door and would think about getting one. I do not care for the sedan though it looks .....old. I was at the Dallas Auto Show last week and there were a lot of people around the 3-door Yaris and over at the Honda Fit.....I felt bad for the Honda guy, he was actually being mobbed by people that wanted to know more about the car. That's what they get for have a car there and no information about it. The 3-door Accent was there up on a pedistal and people standing around it complained they could not see it because it was 3 feet off the ground...stupid..Didn't see Nissans car there thought...to bad.
    Does anyone know if Ford or Chrysler is ever going to have a small car.......
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Ford offers lots of small cars. Just not here (except for the Focus). Chrysler's idea of a small car is the Caliber. 'Nuff said there.
  • ross14ross14 Member Posts: 36
    A surprise: Deep down, where few people walk, was the lonely Suzuki exhibit. From a distance, I thought it was a "Swift", but it was too muscular. Its a 2007 SX4. Its the "mini" SUV. Aimed at under 30's segment, it came in "Surf" & "Bike" styles. Very unusual, split "A" pillar may be dangerous for obscuring vision. Very dramatically styled. Easily the most interesting car, if priced near $15,000. VERSA looks like it should start at $20,000. Although locked, the seats looked like living room cushions. "YARIS" sedan, which I thought was ugly, seemed to be perfect style for average car buyer. "Tomblike" describes the interiors of the Yaris sedan, & the Honda Fit. There is no fun in there black interiors. The Fit & Yaris felt vaultlike; solid & wellmade. Only 3 small cars had comfortable seats: Accent, Rio, Suzuki Forenza (NO Reno). The Fit was tolerable. The worst seats belonged to the Saturn Ion. The Suzuki Aerio had such limited rear movement as to exclude any man over 5'10'.Most practical: Fit. Most desirable(STYLE): Versa. Best Buy: Accent GLS hatchback, if a rebate appears. Big car: Chrysler 300c extended wheel base is a winner.
    Did you mean the Accent GS hatchback or SE hatchback (no GLS has been announced)?
    also comes in a beige interior. In fact the Barcelona Red 5-speed Base Yaris Sedan at my local dealer selling for $14,589 has the beige interior. I like it from the outside but am concerned my dogs might slowly taint it's color scruffy-dirty after a year or so. Oh well, there's always elbow grease and a bucket-a-suds and a scrub brush, huh? Not a big enough deterrent from purchasing it.

Neither the Barcelona Red or Nautical Blue base 5-speed Yaris sedan selling for $14,589 are selling at my local dealer. All the better for me while I lollygag around wondering when to pounce. I always threaten to go pounce on my next stretch of days off-one day I may just go do it if they remain there looking like little pups in a petstore window like that. I do prefer the red one-Phil Meador Jeep-Subaru-Toyota keeps the red one under the overhang of their showroom building, still outdoors but covered from the elements. I would agree the sedan's not for everybody but I like it and think it would be a solid rig for years and years and years.

Wish cars would stick to names, instead of numbers & letters.The Accent GS is potentially the most for the money. With a rebate( in time), best warranty, fully adjustable & comfortable seats, & an explosively low price, I may part ways with loyalty to Toyota. Is it in the U.S. yet?
    When I asked my local dealer last week he said he didn't know when the Accent 3-doors were coming.
    Just visited the little cars at the NY Autoshow. Is there a worse interior than the ION? This 2nd generation Ion, perhaps, is an indicator of how clueless GM is. How much research was done developing the drivers seat? Is there a passenger car with a lower seat? And how about Ford. Europe gets a new Focus, & now the S-max, while US Ford wallows in dullness, & old Focus'.
    Alright my mom is finally looking to replace her 1993 Olds Ciera. She lives about 70 miles southeast of Dallas and she would have to commute for work ....any suggestions?
  • subcompactsubcompact Member Posts: 3
    Bus. Seriously. I drive buses for a living. We can move 35 people for $3.00 each some 20-25 miles commuting. That's $100 in fares. My salary is $15 per hour. I burn about $15 per hour in diesel. Trust me, my employer is masking a profit around 25%, even with fuel costing what it does.
    We make traffic less of a problem, because 1 bus doesn't take up the room of 35 Yaris', let alone SUVs. Commuters pay $120 a month to ride the bus. What car can you own, with fuel, insurance and upkeep for 2x that price?
    Before I was a bus driver, we were a 2 car family. Now we are a 1 car family. I am partners in a small business that owns a car, so technically we are a 1.5 car family.
    I believe in public transit. I know it works.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Agreed, provided the locations can use it. Unfortunately, the majority of (areas) places in the US not only don't have such, but it would not be reasonable. Those places that do have public transportation find that most people don't use it anyway. We have become a society of personal vehicle users. :( ?
    okey guys I am on this site to ask opinions about subcompact cars....a bus in East Texas is like ice in Hell. But I do ride the train here in Dallas I am about a mile from the northern most stop and take me right into downtown Dallas..

Any way cars prospects for my mom. Please. :D
    At 140 miles a day that equates to something like 35,000 miles a year, not counting what she would put on during weekends. For that kind of miles, first I'd recommend she get something with a smooth ride, comfy driver's seat, and cruise. High fuel economy is very important of course. I don't know what her budget is. A couple of choices that pop into mind are the Corolla, if she finds the driver's seat comfortable (this is a problem for many people). High mpg, comfy, reliable. Another is the Elantra, which is a good bet for her if the Corolla is uncomfortable as its driver's seat is more adjustable. Very smooth ride also, not quite as good fuel economy but capable of mid 30s even at 70-75 mph. Corolla has better side crash ratings (when equipped with the optional side bags/curtains). One advantage of both the Corolla and Elantra is that they are older designs so you could find a good used one and save some money.

In this low-end class the Accent and Rio have a smooth ride for their size but don't have cruise available. The Yaris would be worth a look but once it is optioned well, it gets very clost to the Corolla's price, and the Corolla has a higher highway mpg rating and has a smoother ride. The Civic LX is pricey but would also be a good bet for a nice-riding, fuel-efficient, reliable car.

Also, at those miles she is someone who could actually come out financially ahead with a slightly-used hybrid like the Prius or Civic hybrid. Might be tough to find one of those now, however.
  • subcompactsubcompact Member Posts: 3
    As a bus driver, I find that hard to swallow. A cash fare ride on my commuter bus is $4. If you buy 10 tickets for $35 the book is good for 1 month. If you buy 30 tickets for $90, the book is good for 3 months. I drive to work because I have to get there at 6 am and I'm the first bus out of the depot. My particular bus seats 28. I make 3 morning trips. Then I get a break. I do two more afternoon trips and evening rush. The other driver on my route starts later, gets a break just before evening rush and takes two more trips at night. Basically the route is serviced from 6:15am until about 8:15pm. Three other routes are serviced by single buses that seat, plus the second bus on my route seats 20. In all honesty, the maker is a school bus company, they just chose transit style seats over school bus style seats. It is rare these days to have an empty seat, as there is no public transit system serving this area, just a modest one in the city we serve.
    We also operate a fleet of school buses. Since I was hired in 2002, our commuter business has doubled. I always like to think this is just the beginning of a comeback.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    According to Car and Driver and Edmunds. I don't know why anyone would buy them. But, it's your money.
    I understand my self what your saying...I do ride our DART bus and train system......but, and its a big one, alot of the surrounding cities are not in the DART system ,and you have to drive to some far out places once in a while. That is why I bought a subcompact myself. When I cant take the bus or train. :D
    I got to talk to Mom tonight and she dislikes the Corolla...to bland. The Elantra she kinda likes and the Yaris hatchback she just thought was cute...the Honda Fit she also liked I have sent her some brouchers and she got the package saturday...and read them today....I will talk to her on thursday and give her the info I collect from everyone...so far.

Thanks to everyone so far for the help.
    If she goes for a Fit (any of these cars for that matter), make sure she takes it on a long test drive. The Fit has been reported to have a firm ride. May not be an issue if the roads your mom drives on are smooth. Also the RPMs on the Fit are pretty high on the highway with the stick, so she might want to check out the automatic--much lower RPMs.
    Well, if C/D thinks the Fit is "far superior" to Toyota, Kia or Hyunda, then that is obviously true for everyone and we should all run out and buy a Fit. ;)

Oh wait... there will be less than 40,000 of them imported this year and they are going for MSRP or more. It isn't even available for purchase at some Honda dealerships--like the one closest to me. That could be a problem. And the Fit doesn't have a height-adjustable driver's seat, so it doesn't fit many of us (at least one Fit buyer has already sold his, it was so uncomfortable). I guess lots of unlucky people will need to look elsewhere if they want a low-end car.
    dealer in gun-metal grey. It is a 5-speed and with the "Market Adjustment" tag applied next to the sticker the price rings up over $16,000 before T & L. Sorry, but that's pushing it a bit on the price. Plus, that thing is so homely it gives me fits!

• tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Any dealer that has an add on sticker for
    market adjustment should be ignored. There
    are too many good cars out there to fall
    for that BS.Of course there are always
    stupid people who will fall for it.
    sounds like a crooked dealer to me .....
    Backy. I realize you love Korean cars, i.e., Hyundai, Kia, etc. You gently slam the fit in here regularly. I can understand. However, I seriously doubt that anyone has already "sold" there fit because it was uncomfortable. That, I find HARD to believe.
    I am sorry you mistake my disappointment over some aspects of the Fit, particularly the lack of adjustments for the driver's seat, as "slamming" the Fit. As I have already stated in the Fit discussions, the Fit is #1 on my shopping list for my next car. I love the design and really hoped it would "fit" me. But that is a big question mark, until I can get behind the wheel.

I like some Hyundais and Kias and think that in general they are excellent values and increasingly are very good cars. One thing they have figured out how to do, which apparently Honda has not, is how to build a small car with an exceptionally comfortable driving position.

Also, before you accuse someone of lying you should do some research:

spotbearsd, "Honda Fit - seat adjustment issues" #40, 25 Apr 2006 10:41 pm
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    It happens. Pretty common when a car has higher demand than production. It seems lots of Honda dealers are marking up Fits, or adding dealer junk to jack up the price, errr, their profit. Personally, I refuse to pay over MSRP. Well, I might I suppose, if it were a diesel that got 55mpg. We don't think twice about bargaining down when we have the upper supply/demand advantage hand.
    I never accused you of lying. I said it was hard to believe. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would trade in a week old Honda Fit for a Nissan Murano. Two completely different vehicles. Sounds fake to me, that is what I meant. I like Honda. I think Japanese vehicles are far superior to Korean vehicles. That is my opinion.
    I made a statement of fact, that someone had already sold their Fit because of an uncomfortable driving position. To that you replied:

However, I seriously doubt that anyone has already "sold" there fit because it was uncomfortable. That, I find HARD to believe.

When you "seriously doubt" and find "HARD to believe" someone when they have made a statement of fact, you are basically saying they are lying. A more friendly way of expressing your shock over such behavior might be, "Wow, I am really surprised someone would do that!"

And by saying the story about getting rid of the Fit for a Murano sounds "fake", you are saying that you think the poster who told us about that experience is lying too.

Which Korean vehicles in this class have you driven? The 2006 Rio? 2006 Rio5? 2006 Accent? Aveo? I don't think the Aveo is competitive anymore in this class, but if you haven't driven the latest models from Korea you might want to do that, as you might be pleasantly surprised if you do it with an open mind.

You see, I am a Honda fan also and loved the two Civics I owned. But I am not stuck on any one brand, or country. Let the best car for my needs win (my money).
    The Olds Ciera is not small, or very economical. It has great sightlines( hood & trunk may be seen if Mom is tall enough). Is she ready to downsize? If not, the Camry 4 cylinder with adjustable seats is very comfortable for my petite wife. The Camry Le lifts her way up, whereas the Accord needs the most expensive model to get the height option. We get over 25 on the Hwy On our 2006. If mom feels safe in downsizing, the Elantra has wonderful seat adjustment, average mpg, & best warranty. I have 2 close friends with Elantras, & they are very saisfied. I would not suggest the new Honda Civic, because the sightlines are ridiculous. Mom might also get a kick out of the old Rav 4, or the Honda CRV, or the Matrix.
    Thanks. Well I have found out my mom wants a small and I do mean small car...I had a Ford Festiva years ago and she like my 99 Metro I had and wants close to the same kind of mileage...I did explain to her cars are heavier now and the mileage is lower on the small cars. I took a buttload of brouchers to Mom. Her picks were the Yaris, Fit, Aveo, 3-door Accent and the Rio5. Now she says could you get me some more info on them ....I wish she had a computer. So I am going to all the forums and listening to everyone talk about all the cars (except the 3-door Accent, sedan will be close).
    Assuming all the cars were 2 doors( Except the Rio5 4door), your Mom is picking cars way under 160" long. Even I would hesitate to drive 140 miles round trip in a Mini vehicle. I've had shorter cars( Fiat 600, & Bug-eyed Sprite) which I've enjoyed on the road, but never would they be acceptable as daily long trip rides. How about a minimum weight of 2700 pounds, with air bags front & side installed?
    First thing mom should do is draw up a list of requirements, then divide it into two categories: "blockers" (must-haves) and "pushers" (not a must-have, but if the car has it or does it better than other cars, it's a plus). Then she should review the specs to see if any cars can be eliminated just based on those and her "blockers". Then she should test-drive the remaining cars. For now, all she could drive are the Yaris, Fit, Aveo, and Rio5. (The Accent 3-door should be out soon. May want to wait for the 3-door since the suspension and steering, and back seat, are different from the 4-door.) Then eliminate any cars that don't meet all the "blockers" based on the test drive, and rank the others based on the "pushers".
    I found the Accent 4-door very comfortable and quiet on the highway and I expect it would make a good highway cruiser--except no cruise control! The Rio5 was similar but a little firmer ride and better handling. The Yaris 4-door wasn't a bad highway car either, and cruise is available. The Fit is a little firm but if the highways are smooth the automatic cruises quite nicely also--although cruise is available only on the Sport model. All these cars are available with ABS and side bags/curtains, except they seem harder to find with the Yaris since they are optional (also ABS is optional on the Rio5 and Accent GS). One thing, though--I would wait for the IIHS crash test results before buying one of these small cars. Especially if it were for my mom. :)
    My mom will come up to Dallas the second week of June and we will hunt for cars and draw up a list. Believe me my mother has drove small cars most of her life and can more than handle it. By the way, she isnt that old.
  • cargirl13cargirl13 Member Posts: 22
    Hi!
    I am looking for a compact sedan. Right now, I am comparing the accent and corolla. Also, interested in mazda 3 and focus. Anyone bought any of these cars around here recently. If so, from what dealership? Any good dealerships? Any horror stories?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    If you live in a major metropolitan area, the "ad specials" on Corollas are very hard to beat, offering $2,000 to $3,000 of discount. Toyota is the gold standard and the Corolla will deliver years of good service. The Mazda3 is more of an enthusiast's car, less of an appliance, but reliability is lower, resale isn't as good, and dealers are harder to find. Consider them the VW of Japanese cars. The Ford Focus is a Mazda3 on the last generation chassis and with the lowest resale value. It has been recommended by Consumer Reports, and I have owned several, but I can only recommend it at firesale prices (heavy rebates) due to the depreication thing.
  • jerchrijerchri Member Posts: 6
    For sure, ditch the Accent and Focus.
    I own a Mazda 3 so I'm obviously partial. For you it'll all come down to whether or not you want a car that's GREAT on gas or a car with a hint of European styling/comfort.

Corolla's are unbelievable on gas. Simple styling that suits pretty much anyone and everyone, but nothing too unique. Excellent resale value and a well known, reliable engine.

The Mazda3 is not as good on gas (gets around 5 mpg less than Corolla), but here's how it makes up for it. European styling (same C1 platform as some Volvos) for both the exterior and interior (sit in the Mazda3 and you'll forget you're in an econobox). Larger engine than Corolla (good for climbing hills). Excellent suspension and handling. *Drumroll* here's what Money magazine said..."The 3 posted strong reliability and owner feedback in its rookie year, which bodes well for resale values. Runner-up: Toyota Corolla"
    Calling the Mazda3 the "VW of Japanese cars" is very unfair to the Mazda3, in the reliability department. The Mazda3 has proven to be far more reliable than VWs.

Also I've observed resale on the Mazda3 holding very well. I think a lot of that is there aren't many used Mazda3's to be had, plus there have never been big incentives on the Mazda3.
    In the real world, e.g. CR's tests, the Mazda3i automatic got only 2 mpg less than the Corolla--27 to 29. Plus it will put a smile on your face when you drive it. Best that can be said for the Corolla is that it probably won't put a frown on your face, unless you find the driving position unbearable like I do.

If someone likes the Corolla, IMO they should also check out the Elantra GLS and Spectra. Both ride similarly to the Corolla (the Elantra sedan a little softer) but have superior back seat room and driving position (especially the Elantra). Plus a lot less money and the long warranty.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I meant to emphasize that Mazda3's are more notable for handling and styling like VW than for their appliance like durability; which is not to say they have miserable quality control survey results like VW, from what I hear they are much more reliable than VW's. But I'd still give the nod to Toyota and Honda first as "safe bets" and good buys are a lot easier to find on Toyotas than on Hondas.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Cargirl:

Around here, if you're looking for a Corolla, you will most likely get the best price from IRA or Boch. They are very competitive with each other and are extremely willing to deal on these.....both can get you in a new Corolla CE for under $11K if you can drive a manual. If not, $13-14K is not out of the question.
  • ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    If anyone is your travels to dealerships in KY, OH, IL, MO, IN, TN, WV come across a 2007 Yaris base sedan w/ automatic with the power package in a flint mica, please have the dealer contact me Ron Malinowski 630-400-1852. Dealers are unwilling to trade or try to locate so Im gonna wait for them to call me, I am faxing 106 dealerships with my request tonight, but if you guys can help and maybe get a referral, thats great too! (wants power locks, windows, ABS, Cruise) on BASE
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I do not watch much TV, but tonight I saw the Yaris ad that features a spider made out of gas pump nossles. 1st the Yaris confronts it, scares it, runs it down, then sucks up the juices (gasoline that is). I thought it was the cleaverist, most creative add I have seen in a long time. Futhermore, it clearly displayed the purpose of the product in very memoriable manner. I think Toyota will get their money back many times on that one!
    I certainly understand why you want a 2007 Toyota Yaris base sedan with the automatic tranny, Flint Mica color and the Power Package. I have the new Yaris base sedan with the 5-speed on my futures list, albeit many many months ahead for a trade-in, if it ever happens. I like this new body style and I think it's engineered to deliver the goods in a very satisfying manner. It is worth it's $14,675 price (at least that's how much the one I let get away was selling for here in Pocatello, ID. It had the features I wanted and some for safety I didn't feel I even needed, they were there though), easily.

What I don't understand with your situation, Ron, is why your local Toyota dealers won't spend a few sparable pennies and do some legwork for you and track one of these babies down for you. I find it lazy and disrespectful that they won't. :mad:

Let me guess, it doesn't make them enough cash to spend the time doing this work for you. Nonsense!

• ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    Well, I put a $250 deposit, waited 6 weeks, dealership was great, explained refundable at any point, gave them every opportunity, they went to bat for me, they just don't exist in our region right now, they did but sold. So I understand, dealer didn't feel comofrtabl leaving me tied up with them when they could not get one on allocation after 4 attempts. but In inquring with so many other dealerships, this is an exact typical responds I get, and they just don't sit well with me.

We can order your Yaris with the power package whenever your ready.The sooner the better. I 'll need a $1,000.00 deposit earnest money down to make the order.Will you be financing?, if so I need a credit statement as well.Other that we're good to go.The appraisal will be redone at the time of the trade.Subject to miles and condition as you may already know.

And I the dealership does not wish to engage in any clauses stating if they can't get it in a reasonable time frame they will refund my deposit, My thought is clearly, I want many dealerships to know what I want, whoever can provide me a VIN # and estaimated delivery date to their dealership, then I will engage in the deposit, do you guys think Im out of line with this? if one dealer couldn't come through, what makes this guy above thing he can do it, he wants money so that if its takes 4 months, they got me stuck with them. Thats what I personally think is going on. So my thought every 2 weeks on allocation day, I will day 100 local dealership within 5 hour drive of me, and make my request clear. And restate that I am still in the market for this vehicle, lay out the options, and go from there, when I hear one has it, then Ill grab it. Until then I'm not a legal person and would not feel comfortable setting a contract with a dealership to set terms, eaiser to let the dealers come to me. And there are dealershpis that wont take a deposit from me until I test drive the car but they work on the honor system, if they can get the car I have first dibs on it, rear but their are dealers like that and Im willing to do everything I can do dealer with dealers like that!
    Yaris with your persistence and effort, Ron. I hope you get the one you want for the price you want. Keep us posted. ;)

They are worth the effort!