Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wish list for Next Gen Tacoma - what would you improve

2»

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I think the 1KZ-TE diesel would be fine as-is. You realize a Dodge Ram with Cummins diesel stock is rated at 235hp and 490ft/lb? My 3/4 ton's dry weight is well over 7000#, and even when stock had very good power for general driving. Nevermind how easy it is to increase those 50%. You're not going to be towing 12,000# with a tacoma even if the engine could handle it, so the lower torque would be plenty. I think you'd be really surprised. For comparison, the Jetta TDI has 90hp and 155ft/lb and has very good power. Certainly much better than any other car that gets 50mpg.

Who is Toyota going to compete with? No other manufacturer can bring a diesel into play nearly as fast. Maybe Isuzu/Chevy but they'd have to adapt alot more than Toyota would. Same gig VW has going for them. Want a small diesel car? You're only choice is the Jetta/Golf/Beetle and good luck buying one. I tried back in July and they were taking orders for late '02 models. Used ones were through the roof as well.

Send over that Diesel and I'll come back to the Toyota fold!
  • craig64craig64 Member Posts: 12
    I would like to see the 4x2 extra cab get a V6 option without having to purchase the S-Runner or PreRunner. Would also like a 5 speed as a choice.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Yeah imagine a 2wd reg cab w/v6 5 spd and the blower!....
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    2WD Tacoma Regular Cab Supercharged V6!
    Bring on the Chevy Cyclone!!!

I didn't know they stopped making 2Wd Xtracab V6s... They never sold them in Canada, but I thought they were still available in the states... I know they were...
    Well i live in southern NH and my local dealer won't even order a S-Runner...kinda dumb.
    I know in 95, and maybe 96 also, you could get the reg. cab 4x4 with the V6. That was a quick truck, and of course you could put the SC on it now. I've always kept my eyes open for a used one, but nothing so far. They are out there though. 4X4 doesn't add too much to the weight. Getting traction on a launch might be a problem the 4X4 could cure. Might actually be quicker than a 2wd reg. cab, especially with a SC.
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I love my truck, but for the love of god, who designed the seats. I'am seriously thinking about yanking out the bucket seats and bolting down lawn chairs. Besides the bean bag seats, toyota has done and exceptional job on the tacoma.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ....would include a cargo box that my ATV can fit into and still be able to close the tailgate like on the Dodge Dakota.

As secondary suggestions, I would add about 1 inch to the overall cab height. I would also update the dash to include full instrumentation (oil pressure, voltage), make it more visible and ergonomically viable.

I actually find the current version a very good truck and potent contender just as it is, but the box length takes it off my primary list.

Dusty
  • ctsteve1953ctsteve1953 Member Posts: 3
    Who in the world designed the interior of the 2001 Tacoma? The clock cannot be read by the driver unless the windshield wipers are on, and the ignition switch is placed so that anything hanging from the key (like the remote) bounces annoyingly against the hard plastic dashboard when driving over the smallest road bumps. My dashboard creaks and rattles like a vehicle with 100,000 miles of hard off-road driving, and it's only got 9000 highway miles on it. Be very sure that this vehicle is comfortable for you before you buy it, or you'll hate it a month after you bring it home. Just ask me. Toyota reliability counts for nothing when the Tacoma's interior rattles like a 1985 Yugo. I wish that I could afford to trade it in. This truck was a loser from mile 200.
  • wheeldogwheeldog Member Posts: 39
    Ctsteve1953,

Has your dealer been unsuccessful (or uncooperative) in trying to resolve the problems with your dashboard creaking?
    Wheeldog,

My dealer has had my Tacoma's dashboard apart at least three times because of a non-functioning tachometer, and finally was able to correct this by replacing the printed circuit board that controls it. The creaking has gotten noticeably worse since the cold weather began. It gets a little better as the day warms up, but it's still there. Of course, it's at its noisiest early in the morning when I'm at my least jovial. I'll give the dealer, who has been very accommodating, another opportunity to take the dashboard apart. I don't enjoy owning the test model.
    Ctsteve1953,

Well, I can understand your frustration then. Sounds like your dealer's service department has been trying, at least.

I have a 1995 Toyota pickup (previous generation) that I bought new. It came out of the NUMMI facility, and while it is no Lexus, it certainly has been very trouble-free (and creak-free). I have read a couple of posts here and there about the dash problems, and am interested since I hope to be replacing my pickup (and a 90' 4Runner) with either a Tacoma or Tundra in the coming year.

I live in Connecticut and I had guessed from your user name that you do too (?). If you have any opinions about your dealer or other dealers that you'd like to share, maybe you could send me an email off-line from this discussion.

Good luck in getting those problems resolved.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>Who in the world designed the interior of the 2001 Tacoma? The clock cannot be read by the driver unless the windshield wipers are on, and the ignition switch is placed so that anything hanging from the key (like the remote) bounces annoyingly against the hard plastic dashboard when driving over the smallest road bumps. My dashboard creaks and rattles like a vehicle with 100,000 miles of hard off-road driving.<<

Steve,

Despite the wide held belief about Toyota quality, I have to agree with you about the design and assembly quality of Toyota's interiors.

Out 1999 Avalon, while an otherwise excellent automobile, does suffer from a plethora of buzzes, creaks and rattles, much more than one would expect from the "quality" reputation of Toyota.

Yes, we have the same problem with the key chain rubbing against the instrument panel making noise. The moon roof has always made an annoying twanging sound over bumps, and there are various plastic snapping sounds that come from the dash. We now have something loose related to the right front wheel and the brakes make all sorts of pops, clicks, snaps, and bangs. And the headliner is loose and makes a creaking sound.

What is most annoying is the lack of illuminated controls on the instrument panel (mirror control, etc.) and the window/lock controls on the doors. I've been test driving at pick-ups lately and much to my surprise Dodge illuminates the power window and door lock controls. The only vehicle I have ever driven that has done so.

Toyota's execution of instrument panel ergonomics is not up to the design or quality of the rest of the car. And having been in other Toyota products, it apparent that buzz & rattle is behind the rest as well.

Our '92 Nissan Sentra at 96,000 miles is still almost 100% buzz & rattle free.

Dusty
    Wheeldog,

My Tacoma is a 4WD XTra Cab SR5 model with the V6 auto combo. It has bucket seats and a console. If you are over 6 ft or over 200 lbs, you may want to take an extended test drive before you decide for sure if this is the truck for you. It is very maneuverable, which is important living here in southern CT where we don't have very wide parking spaces and our country roads are narrow and winding. This was my main reason for selecting a compact pickup.
    I did take the truck on a 500 mile trip (highway driving) one day this summer and got 22 mpg at 65-70 mph, so I was pleasantly surprised with that. The seats are no Barcaloungers, but I do wish that they had height adjustments- you sit too high in the cab in this truck if you're on the tall side.
    If the dealer can fix my creaking dash, I'll learn to live with the poor ergonomics. If they can't, it's going to be traded in. It's THAT bad!
    Steve,

Thanks again for the information. I'm just under 6' and about 40 lbs shy of 200, so I'll have to see how the Toyota bucket seats fit me.

I know what you mean about the maneuverability factor - it holds true here in the Northern part of the state as well. The last thing I want to drive is a mush-mobile land yacht. I'm going to be sure and get in some quality test drives before I buy anything.

Rob
  • ahardcastleahardcastle Member Posts: 9
    Odometer, clock should be visible in daylight. Clock placement is stupid; it's useless

More wishes--for DC
    Removable rear seats
    Factory installed sliding bed cover
    Better gas mileage (5 speed automatic?)
    Leather seat option
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Fix for the dashboard rattle: It cost $3.00

Go to Menards and buy 1.25" window seal foam. They have it in gray and brown so it will match your interior. Just push it between the windshield and the front of the dash. The foam expands with the dash so it eliminates all of the squeaking. I had the same problem as you, then I added the foam and the problem is gone and headache free once again. It was definitely the biggest complaint I had of this truck. Otherwise I think it is GREAT. Hope this works for you. Just run the foam from the VIN to the other side of the dash.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    how likely do think this is?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    I guess we are driving in different sun conditions...I can see the dash perfectly, odometer and everything. The clock..yeah, I have to tilt my head to look at it.
    I'd like a sliding cover not only on DC, but on all Tacos. As for better gas milage.....I think it's getting pretty good milage. I drive an Xtracab, and get, depending upon the speed, 20mpg on highway (or 16, if I go 90), but I have a manual, although on freeway it doesnt matter.
    I had heard a rumor the DC was bringing a small 4cyl diesel over for the Dakota, Caravan, and possibly Neon/Stratus. Toyota isn't very good at creating a new market though so I doubt they'll risk it until they see how the others do. A compact truck diesel is unchartered waters here. If the DC diesel materializes and does well, I'll bet Toyota will have them here quickly. Of course, $1.00/gallon gasoline makes diesel hard to sell on fuel efficiency alone. You'd have to get better than 30mpg to break even just on fuel costs.
  • brunet01brunet01 Member Posts: 18
    I just turned 900 miles in my 2002 DC, and I can't get used to the seats! Somebody needs to slap some sense into the person that made the decision to go with those particular seats in the trucks... hehehe
    And how about swapping positions between the clock and the passenger airbag switch?
    Roberto
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2001 DC, the dash and the console around the gear selector has some creaks, Armor-All seems to help a little. To keep the remote from hitting the dash remove the chain and connect the remote to the key with a plastic zip tie. It looks funny but it works.
  • koko164koko164 Member Posts: 29
    I would like to see 4-wheel disc brakes. Chevy
    has them standard on their 1/2tons.
    I'm sure more will follow. Anyone heard of any
    plans for them on the Tacoma?
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Will the reg cab be back in 2003, or will it be discontinued like Nissan did with their regular cab this year?
  • barbour1barbour1 Member Posts: 17
    I bought a 2wd xcab auto 4cyl.Have only 1230 miles on it but it sure seems slow to get up to speed.I probably should have gotten a 6cyl,I wonder if I can go 0 to 60 in under 25 seconds.I imagine it will acquire a bit more pep when I get more miles on it.My only real gripe is that the factory bed-liner is noisy,it flutters and flops going over bumps in the road and the wind noise around the rear corners of the cab seems excessive.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know if Toyota is changing the design of the Tacoma for 2003 or if they are coming out with a new engine. I heard something about a 3.7L, and a new body design. Maybe I'm wrong. Any info on this?
    I believe it will be the 04 model for the makeover.
    Thanks for the info. I know you have an 01 TRD with the supercharger. I went ride to a local dealer a couple of days ago and looked at an 02 dark green TRD 4x4 with a 5 spd. It's exactly what I wanted, but then I find out they are gonna be redoing the Tacoma and 4runner, so I was going to wait till 03 to see them. If they come out in 04 though I may just buy one a little earlier. I would love to see a new V6 though, thats the main reason I want to wait.
  • 123321123321 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if they will be coming out with a medium or dark blue for 03? I really hate what they are offering so far
    I don't believe they will come out with a blue, the body style will be the exact same for 03 I believe, maybe for 04 when the body style changes they will add more colors.
  • koko164koko164 Member Posts: 29
    They need to raise the seats off the floor a bit more than they are.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Although I don't own a Tacoma,I have been in one and rented one and came away with very poor impressions. The whole clock is dumb. Wanna see the time? Fire up the widshield wipers! A few things I would like to see on the next Tacoma:
    1. A full time 4WD system like Chevy Silverado
    2. A column mounted gear shift lever
    3. A bigger engine, possibly a smaller version of the iForce V8 in Tundra
    4. Leather Seats
    5. 5 speed automatic
    6. Get rid of the jumpseats and put a small set of bucket seats or a really small bench seat for carrying 4 or 5 people in a pinch
    7. Get rid of the floor mounted 4WD lever and engineer the whole darn 4WD system into the dashboard.
    8. An AWD version for the S-Runner
    9. Maybe a crew cab version of the S-Runner too?
    10. update the 4 cylinder engine to Camry's 2.4 or RAV4's 2.0L.
    11. Audjustable ride suspension
    12. new clock design
    13. Power rear roll down window (eg. Ford Explorer Sport Trac)
    14. A center console and a HomeLink system.
  • dakar232dakar232 Member Posts: 12
    Jchan2,

some thoughts and comments.

<1. A full time 4WD system like Chevy Silverado>

Do you really need full time 4WD? Won't that make the gas milage suck?

<2. A column mounted gear shift lever>
    <5. 5 speed automatic>

If it floats your boat then what the heck. I personally don't mind the floor mounted shifter with buckets seats. I do however wish that the Double Cab had the option of a stick shift instead of an automatic.

<3. A bigger engine, possibly a smaller version of the iForce V8 in Tundra>

The Tacoma is a compact pickup. When does the quest for more HP become too much? My 2002 DC has the 190 HP V-6 and I find it is more than adequate. IF you want a V-8, do you really want a compact pickup?

<4. Leather Seats>

Right on... I would love to have had the option to get leather seat. (along with the choice of a leather wrapped steering wheel without getting the more expensive option package)

<6. Get rid of the jumpseats and put a small set of bucket seats or a really small bench seat for carrying 4 or 5 people in a pinch>

The Double cab sits 4 comfortably and 5 in a pinch. For the extended cabs, in order to do this you would probably have to increase the cab to just about the dimensions of the DC. They probably won't do this as you could get the DC.

<12. new clock design>

I agree - what the hell were they thinking of. If they stuck it where the airbag off swich is, it would have made a lot more sense.

Dakar
    To each their own.
    Personally, I hate column-mounted shifters. I'm very happy with my manual tranny Taco.
    1. Don't need an all-time 4WD. You can switch into 4Hi on the fly, that's pretty good.
    2. Yuck, but that's my preference.
    3. 2004 Tacoma will get a new 3.7L V6 (230hp/tq or so) or 4.7L iForce as an option.
    4. It's a truck. Would you like a DVD player, Xbox and a high-end stereo system with a full bar while you are at it?
    5. 5spd auto would be nice. Or a V6 in the reg cab. Or a manual in a DC.
    6. I don't know.....I guess you're talking about the Xtracab..I rather doubt there's any space in there for anything, unless I want to drive like a grandma glued to the windshield and moving the seat all the way up. I don't think I could fit anyone in the back of my Xtracab, only coolers and some trip stuff.
    7. Nahh...it looks fine as it is.
    8. AWD S-Runner? Doesn't sound too bad.
    9. DoubleCab S-Runner? Umm...why? S-Runner weights like 3000 lbs, and adding a DC to it will make it a 3500lbs vehicle. Not-so-S-Runner. It's supposed to be a sports truck, not a van.
    10. People swear by their 2.7L I4s. The 2.4L I4...maybe. But that's an engine for 2WD models only, so.
    11. TRD is fine and good for those who want it. Stock is soft enough for those who don't want it.
    12. Yeah, definitely. Although some tall people don't have any problems, but that's a rarity.
    13. Maybe....I can always open the window with my right hand.
    14. Maybe.

So essentially you are trying to make this wonderful potent truck into a ......grocery-getter?
    Leather seats? Softer ride? If you want all that, get a van. This is a truck (and a pretty good one, at that). There'll certainly be posers who will want a truck to show off to their friends (like the Prerunner DC I saw the other day: dealer-warrantied 3" susp lift with 265x75x16 (33s) tires: an ultimate pooser vehicle, because it can never go offroad due to rubbing), but can we please just leave this truck the way it is? There's already enough people buying up TRD and the only offroading they do is when they accidentally drive off the driveway onto the lawn. Just my opinion.
  • jackkajackka Member Posts: 25
    I'd like a rear door on the x-cab like Ranger and S-10 have.
    I'd also like a standard radio that I can replace at any car stereo store when it fails.
  • I've had 50 vehicles (including 8 Corvettes, 6 El Caminos, and 8 Toyota pickups)... and love a sporty small truck. Current ride is a 2001 V6 Prerunner XtraCab TRD. I love the truck, but it's a compromise like everything else I've owned or that's on the market. Toyota has the best quality and resale, so that's why I keep coming back. At one point I thought I wanted a BIG truck again so I bought a new 97 GMC Z71 Extended Cab and after 2 years decided I was tired of taking 3 trys to get into any parking space and the mediocre performance wasn't worth the extra cost of gas, then it started falling apart. So I went to the other extreme... 99 Tacoma XtraCab 2WD 4cyl 5 speed. It got 20-21mpg/city and 25-28mpg/hwy, but was boring to look at and drive. I love the 4X4 look, but never use it, so the Prerunner fits me well. But I remember the good things about old 64-72 ElCaminos... lots of power, comfortable car ride, and good gas mileage. I rarely haul more than a motorcycle in the back and would buy an Australian Holden Sport Ute if they imported them here. A friend has a 1999 Lexus LS400 with a 4.0 V8 that gets 30-35 MPG (yes I've driven it and checked it myself to make sure). I'm convinced that if they put this engine in the Tacoma we could get lots more power and better economy. The Tundra is too big for me... too clumsy like the GMC Z71 I had, and gets the same bad gas mileage as the GMC. Seems like all manufacturers focus their efforts on the BIG trucks, most likely because that's where they make the most profit, and those of us that like comfort, manageable size and performance are stuck to settle for what we can get. I recently saw a concept truck vehicle from BMW based on the X5 platform... looks like that's as close as I'm going to get in the future. Though I love electronic gimmicks (self leveling ride height, shift on the fly, AWD, traction control, climate control, etc.), I'll be satisfied to keep things simple, because I learned a long time ago that these gimmicks all stop working in 5-10 years, and that's what makes the vehicle worthless.
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    a 5-speed manual in the Pre-Runner
  • djtibbdjtibb Member Posts: 2
    I surely can't afford a DC right now but it seems like a great compromise for someone that doesn't need a huge truck and also wants to haul people around often. I've got a regular cab Nissan 4WD right now but when my daughter gets a little older I'll probably need something with a backseat (a la DC).

I like everything about the DC except the fact that you can't get a 5spd with the V6 and 4WD. Don't the SRunners come with a 5spd and V6 and 2WD? Why can't a TRD 4WD DC come this way? That would be an irresistable truck to me.
  • tacotextacotex Member Posts: 2
    I saw the post about the new 3.7L engines for the Tacoma. Is this accurate? The new v6 in the 2004 4-runner is supposed to get about 245hp 285ft-lbs. Will the Tacoma engine better those numbers?

I do think a v8 in a Tacoma in it's current size would be overkill. If they make it bigger even slightly, say to the size of a Dakota, it might be a good option.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    I am almost sure, though, that the 4Runner is getting a V8 for the 2003 models. So, a similar engine in a slightly bigger Tacoma is about what everyone is expecting. These changes might come as soon as 2004.
    The speculation is this:
    There's a 3.7L V6 in the works that'll give 245/285 output. If that's a 4Runner specs, then it's almost guaranteed that Tacoma will have higher output due to less-restricted exaust.
    That new engine is rumoured to be the standard engine for 4Runner, with the current Tundra iForce V8 to be an optional one.
    The risk is that since 4Runner shared drivetrain with Tacoma, and Toyota is set out to make 4Runner a "mallrunner", 3rd gen Tacoma might suffer from that. We'll see. It might be ok.
  • tacotextacotex Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,

I hope that the Tacoma doesn't get emasculated with this new change. But the new V6 sounds awesome. Imagine 260hp 300ft-lbs! Even if it gets the same engine as the 4runner it will be tough for any other compact truck to compete.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    That any Toyota tacoma will be tough for ANY manufacturer to compete with.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    Still have the '98 TRD Tacoma 3.4L 4x4 5 speed with 152K on it now. I like the looks of this grille a whole lot better than the newer ones. I would've liked to have the option of a 5-speed in the Pre-Runner, as I DO go off road a bit, but not anyplace to where I'd worry about not having 4WD if I had the higher suspension of the Pre and maybe a locking rear end. 190 hp is plenty for me. I don't hammer it that much, but I do tow a trailer every so often. More tie downs in the bed would be nice. My bucket seats are fine (6'2"", 200#), but I would've liked a bucket type on my side with a bench type on the passenger side, so I could haul all the rugrats more easily. The back seat is getting a bit small. I will eventually get a DC or a Tundra 4 door, but I am way too cheap to pay dealer new, just ask my wife. I'll wait till you guys put some whacking on them, then pick them up cheap. After all, it is a truck. One last item: somebody needs to market a way to have a truckbox in the bed that doesn't sit on the floor, but does not extend higher than the top of the bed. The ones that sit on the rail obstruct my vision, and the ones that just sit in the floor disallow you to shove stuff up under them during transport. Maybe put a dent in the middle so a dirt bike tire could be wedged in there, and some tie downs on the corners. Just an old TN boy's opinion.
  • fishookedfishooked Member Posts: 14
    I don't understand what all the fuss is on engine size. If you want a V8, just get the Tundra. I think the V6 is more than adequate, but I also think the 4 cyl is a mistake. Just my 2 cents worth.

I am looking into getting and '03 next year (on clearance hopefully)
    Folks,

Anyone that has the double cab please sound off and let me know what you think of it!

I am seriously considering one next year, and I would love to hear your experiences!

Also if you have the cap for the back what do you think of that too would help.

Here's something I noticed at the dealer - they had a nice double-cab with a cap on it, but I noticed that the bedliner was under the rail, and I'd really only want one with an over the rail bedliner. So my real question is:

Does anyone also have a cap with an above the rail bedliner? The dealer said it may make some noise when your driving because the seal isn't that tight, but I don't believe him. Anyone have this setup? Thanks!
    I don't understand what all the fuss is on engine size. If you want a V8, just get the Tundra. I think the V6 is more than adequate, but I also think the 4 cyl is a mistake. Just my 2 cents worth.

I am looking into getting and '03 next year (on clearance hopefully)
This discussion has been closed.