Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I wouldn't guess about the value.... Go to your local Audi dealer right now... Ask for the used car manager, and ask him what he would offer to buy your car. If you like the number, be prepared to call a cab!

I really doubt your car is worth the buy-out price, but you might get an offer that will mitigate some of your turn-in costs.. I'd take any trade-in offer immediately that saved $1000 or more.

In most states, if you buy the car, and then re-sell it to an individual, you'll have to pay sales tax on it first. That would effectively eat up any cost savings. I highly recommend against doing that.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

EDIT: $14,900 for a 60K '03 Audi A4 1.8? Is it Quattro? Even if it is, I don't think I'd pay $14,900 for it... But, you've been driving it.. Do you want to keep it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    newt250newt250 Member Posts: 8
    I don't really want to keep it. Kelly Blue Book estimated trade-in value is $12,975 and NADA is showing $16,425. So I guessing I can get something in between the two. Factoring sales tax into the deal, it look like I would be into the car for about $15,800. So based on your feedback, if I can get somebody to pay me ~14-15k it would make sense to purchase since I avoid the $3k in penalties. I'm still going to lose some money, but not as much. Am I thinking about this correctly?
  • Options
    The problem with buying it to re-sell... is that inbetween the two transactions, the buyer could back out on you.. and you could be stuck with a car that you don't want..

I wouldn't attempt to do anything but sell it to a dealer... Find out the payoff (without sales tax), then solicit offers from Audi dealers or CarMax...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    vizviz Member Posts: 75
    12,975 is for the car in fair condition?
    Recently I had the same issue with my BMW. I ended up paying the lease penalties rather than trading it in. Your situation could be different though.
    There was only 1 dealer who could match with KBB. Rest of them were quoting below KBB, even if I wantd to trade it in with a new car. Some car dealers would point you towards the auction prices as well; They might be lower than KBB.
    I would suggest to take the car and get quote from couple of dealers who would purchase it, so that you would have ball park estimate of your profit.
    Viz
  • Options
    vizviz Member Posts: 75
    kyfdx makes a good point regarding taxes.
  • Options
    tubulustubulus Member Posts: 25
    Found a new (not a loaner, has <100 miles) 2006 2.0T A4 quattro automatic, with sunroof, tech, and premium packages. Quote was 33k, so this is about 2k below invoice, and also about 2k below what I think I could get a comparable 2007 (premium, convenience, bluetooth) for. Of course it'll have maintenance too. Do you think this is a good deal?
  • Options
    gman0104gman0104 Member Posts: 2
    I am a long time reader of these forums and must say that they are very, very informative.

Just came back from an Audi dealer here in NY and thei si what he "offered" for an A4 2.0T:

Quattro
    Convenience pkg.
    Audio pkg.
    Nav
    prem
    36/15k

total price 37400
    otd 1133.00(1st mo(513) + bank fee 620)

A4 3.2
    Same options as above.
    36/15k

Total price 41640.00
    monthly pymnt 634.30

He did say as I was walking out the door that he might be able to do better.

I need some feedback. Car-Man.
  • Options
    Hi, gman0104..

While someone here might have an opinion on your lease price, if you have specific questions for Car_man, he usually patrols the Lease Questions forum. Please post in Audi A4: Lease Questions , and he can take a shot at it.

Some extra information that would be helpful: Actual MSRP, and selling price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    I'm looking at '07 A4s (AWD)with leather (premium package?) heated seats, moonroof, automatic. I've seen lease deals with these kinds of options at $349, which seem to be pretty good. If I buy one of these cars outright, what do you think I should pay. Can I get one for around $30K? Less? (I haven't yet talked price with any dealer.)

I'm also looking at a few '06 loaners with about the same equipment and 3800-6500 miles, all of which are priced at $29,870. I was thinking more like $27K. These cars have been in service since last May, so they have a very attractive warranty that's almost 5.5 years/100K miles, plus maintenance is included through the original warranty. Still, they are loaners (although a quick inspection shows clean bodies and interiors, plus new tires on all.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated on rock-bottom pricing, especially your thoughts on the loaners. I bought a certified Audi (not a loaner) at this particular dealer before and have had a good service experience, so I'm tempted by the '07 or '06 mentioned above.
  • Options
    jeff7091jeff7091 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! How did you determine the invoice value - how do you know that
    what the dealer claimed as their invoice value was correct?

Thanks!

Jeff

PS: do you like carlsen as a dealer?
  • Options
    desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Where on the web did you see Audi ED?
  • Options
    rkb4crkb4c Member Posts: 2
    Get the invoice from edmunds.com, price the car the way you want it, and work from there. If they add anything other than state taxes, delivery, and title/plates, minimum doc fees, walk away.
  • Options
    rkb4crkb4c Member Posts: 2
    How much over/under edmunds.com invoice amount? The current quote I have is $1500 over. Can I do better? Where?

I'm not interested in lease info.
  • Options
    samsakssamsaks Member Posts: 4
    This is long. But any help would be highly appreciated.

I was interested in leasing an AUDI A4 2T Quattro. I had wanted to take delivery of the car on Dec 30, but due to the saleperson/ finance manager (at the dealership) not having given me complete information on all the documentation required the approval did not go through.

Thereafter, I finalized a lease on the vehicle and obtained the approval in the first week of January from Audi Finacial Services as per a special offer then currently being offered. $379 per month, Money Factor - .00115, Residual - 73%. I negotiated a deal @ $430 a month with only the first payment down.

Since I was travelling out of the country for a couple of weeks, I requested the dealership to be able to pick up the car after I return since I had not been able to take delivery when I wanted to be able to take it and I would now be taking delivery only to not use the car at all for the rest of the month. The dealership readily agreed and did not at any point inform me that there is an expiration date when the approval lapses.

I also made the PAYMENT FOR THE FIRST INSTALLMENT OF THE LEASE as a gesture of good faith and firm intention to lease the vehicle. A referral of mine did infact sign the lease and take delivery of another vehicle at that time (all conditions were identical).

I was scheduled to return on the 29th of January, but due to the global British Airways strike, my flight was cancelled and I could not return till the 6th of February. On calling the dealership upon my return I was informed that my approval had been cancelled (even though I had never been informed about a deadline) and I would have to get reapproved at the new (much higher) rates. The fact that I had already made the first payment was deemed irrelevant.

I do understand that the dealership could not reasonably be expected to hold the car indefinitely, but the least I could expect from AUDI and the dealership was to have been informed. I was not reachable by phone since I was abroad, but my email address as well as the contact details of my colleague and referral (we had finalized the deal for both the cars together) were with the dealership. I recieved neither an email nor did my colleague get word that the approval would be cancelled by a certain date so that I could have been informed.

I have called the dealership and they have informed me of their inability to do anything since this is in the hands of Audi Financial Services (AFS). I called the AFS helpline and the customer care associate informed me of her inability to help me. Do I have any options at all?

Thanks a lot,
    Sam
  • Options
    Have you taken delivery of this car? If not, your "1st payment", which I assume is in the hands of the dealer, really means nothing..

If your dealership won't help you, I doubt you have any options.. If you feel they treated you poorly, then I wouldn't want to do business there again.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    drjoeddrjoed Member Posts: 26
    Although I am not an attorney, I would guess that you have no options! I would first speak to the owner of the dealership to see if there is any way they can now get you the same deal on the car. I purchased an A4 in November of '06 so I know that this "special" lease deal has been around for several months. Under the circumstances perhaps Audi-or even the local dealer- would be willing to make some concessions to gain a customer.
    However, I must say that based on the information in your letter if I were selling the car I would have done the same thing! Lease deals are usually time limited- and when they are over they are over! Sad that strange and unusual circumstances seemed to provide such an obstacle but those are the facts. I recently sold a house and the P&S indicated that the buyer had 15 days to obtain financing. On day 16 I sold the house to the second buyer in line and have no remorse! BTW, I love my Audi!!
  • Options
    seanwestseanwest Member Posts: 6
    Trying to buy an Audi (A4 or A3) in the Northern Virginia/Maryland area. Know of any dealers around here that are even close to invoice?
  • Options
    wvbobwvbob Member Posts: 13
    I'm in WV and looking also. Here's what I have done. Audi Web, locate dealer (select within 100 miles of your zip)
    Go through the list, I open google and find the dealers web site, check inventory and ask questions through e-mail. I keep a spread sheet of those that respond and relative $$ values. From there the negotiations begin. I have a local Dealer whom I just purchased a jetta from @ $1028 under invoice. To keep him honest, he will be my last check although in preliminary discussions he has made some very deep cuts. You can look him up under zip 26301. Anthony is the owner... tell him Bob sent you!
  • Options
    clarkuclarku Member Posts: 14
    I'm in the process of researching convertibles and have narrowed it down between the A4 2.0 Quattro or the Volvo C70. Local Audi dealer has offered a discount of $2,170 from sticker which is still $1,245 over invoice. Wondering what sort of deals others are getting on cabrios. BTW Volvo dealer offering no discount from sticker and I'm a repeat buyer, ugghh.
  • Options
    frncsfrncs Member Posts: 1
    I'm also shopping to replace my '00 C70 with an A4 2.0 Quat Cab or another C70. I've visited 3 Audi dealers and no discounts from sticker offered, just snide remarks that I would even ask. Where is your dealer?
  • Options
    tpsinhatpsinha Member Posts: 8
    I asked for a quote on an Avant. The first and only one I've gotten so far via email is more than 3k below INVOICE. I confirmed the options and that this is for U.S. pickup, not European delivery. How much would tax, etc. be on top (I'm in CA)? 10% or so? Thanks!
  • Options
    sox_443sox_443 Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    How did you manage to get such a low quote? I wonder if the dealers are trying to make room for the 08 Avants?
    Well done!
  • Options
    tpsinhatpsinha Member Posts: 8
    Didn't do much at all, thats why I'm wondering what the catch is! :P

I just submitted a quote request from Edmunds, and thats it!
  • Options
    allengalleng Member Posts: 1
    My understanding is that this is a car that was bought in Europe for delivery to the US. It has everything incl.Nav,Xenon Lights/spoiler, 18" 9 spoke alloy wheels.
    I can not find this car in any US reference sources. My thought is that in Europe they make this car available with the small 1.8 turbo engine as an option to the huge 4.2liter engine that is sold here since gas is so expensive there. I like all the fancy extras and think the 1.8t engine teamed up with the 6speed manual trans. will go fast enough while saving me a lot of gas $. Any knowledge about the S line with the 1.8t and the correct price for this car.
    I am paying mid 20's
  • Options
    derekjkiddderekjkidd Member Posts: 1
    Very poor impression of Stammler Audi in Boulder, Co

Adolph Stammler, the owner of this Audi dealership, has a monopoly in the Boulder area and appears to know it. When I initially went to purchase my Audi I test drove a car there and did some price comparisons of their price vs. a few of the dealers in the Denver area. They were the absolute highest price, even for the exact same model car with the same options. I gave the salesman a courtesy &#145;last-look&#146; at the prices I received and their best offer was several thousand dollars over every other deal I had in hand. If you are looking for a new or used Audi I would highly recommend heading off to Denver. McDonald provided me with some of the best sales and service I have had.

Compounding the dissatisfaction of dealing with Stammler is their poor performance on several minor issues with my vehicle. I once had a malfunctioning driver side window. During the repair Stammler scratched the tinting up. I spent an hour with their service manager trying to get the dealership to repair the damage they did to my car. In the end they left it up to me with a vague assurance they would reimburse me for the damage after I got it repaired. I spent the time and money for their incompetence and they still stiffed me on the bill.

I have had instances where they gave me the wrong parts for a minor repair I tried to do my self or they take my car and do not have the parts available for a repair, two or even three times in a row for the same issue. These were all minor issues, but when I brought them to Adolph&#146;s attention he tells me &#147;We have excellent service here, if you don&#146;t like it you need to go somewhere else&#148; Well I did, I do and I hope you will too.
  • Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    Hi tpshinha, I am in SoCal and looking for an Avant. What was the dealer that gave you such a low quote? Thanks, ee
  • Options
    jbeckrjbeckr Member Posts: 21
    Went to test drive an A4 today and loved it. Only 6 spd manual on the lot. When I asked the dealer to try to locate 6 spds with other equipment there were very few in the Western US. 10 as I recall. Does this sound right or should I suspect the search was not done right? Anybody else had success finding and negotiating a fair price on a 6 speed manual A4?
  • Options
    sox_443sox_443 Member Posts: 15
    Just ordered a 2008 A4 Avant 2.0T 6sp with premium, heated seats, sport suspension, black for 30700 through military sales. Has anyone heard anything about the 08's yet?
  • Options
    I am seeing a lot of these right now. But they want what is close to list, making them almost $2k more than a new one. I asked what the advantage was to two different dealer sales guys and they claimed it is because they are CPOed for 2 extra years.

1) Is this a big deal? Why can't I just buy the extra warranty and get a new car?
    2) Has anyone bought one of these cars and if so, have you haggled them down substantially?
    3) Is it not smart to get these due to bad break in driving by the loanees?
  • Options
    orion75orion75 Member Posts: 4
    I have recently been looking for a 2006 Certified Pre-Owned Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (Auto.) Sedan from a dealer. What do you think would be a good price for such a model with the Premium package with around 12,000 miles on it?

I am pitching for around 26K + TT&L for the above configuration for 2006 CPO. The dealer is also providing me 5.9% APR financing and other standard Audi CPO features like added warrenty, etc.

Does 26,000 sound a good deal on this?
  • Options
    jasonscottjasonscott Member Posts: 14
    About to pull the trigger on an '07 A4 Cabriolet CVT and I was wondering if the Premium Audio System upgrade is worth the $1000 price?

Also any feedback you may have before I lock into this car?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
  • Options
    s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    I am considering an A4 cab AWD 2.0T and was looking for what people are paying over invoice, though all I see are leases. What are these selling for over invoice and is there a real reason not to buy for the long term?
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Relative to other near-luxury brands, Audis have terrible resale value. I have owned two and loved both, but got killed at trade-in time. If I were to buy another Audi, it would be through a subvented lease or as a CPO. If I were looking for an A4 Cab today, it would be a 2006 CPO (lower price, great warranty and free maintenance still included).
  • Options
    ctxjaylctxjayl Member Posts: 3
    I have an '07 2.0T Quattro with sirius and the upgraded audio. I think it is one of the best sounding automobile audio systems i've ever heard. Keep in mind, the quality is only as good as the input and I went ahead and integrated my ipod.
  • Options
    bhtbht Member Posts: 1
    Considering an A4 Avant, and am planning on ordering from factory. If I do this in June, will I likely get a 2008? Additionally, A little confused on the news about the upcoming B8. I have read that it is to debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September, but is the B8 the 2008 A4 model, or is this for 2009?? Thanks.
  • Options
    miket21miket21 Member Posts: 8
    heres the details:
    2007 A4 2.0T fronttrak multitronic transmission
    premium package
    cold weather package
    msrp 31750
    purchase price 28500 (about 700$ under invoice!)
    1500 down 368/mo 36mos/10k miles
    did some serious over the phone negotiating at the end of the month picked it up the same day
    love the car!!!
  • Options
    slurpee23slurpee23 Member Posts: 1
    Here are my details:
    -2007 A4 2.0T CVT
    -S line package
    -premium package, tech package, bluetooth, Convenience
    -8800 miles

MSRP: 38,185 (when it was new)
    Asking price: 30,495

I originally wanted to lease...but now I am leaning towards buying. Here are the numbers:

Lease 1:
    -2000 down, 36 months, 12k Miles, money factor: .00175.

Buy 1:
    -4000 down, 591 a month, 60 months, 6.9%APR

Let me know what you think. Am I getting a fair deal?
  • Options
    srarcadesrarcade Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to make a purchase of a 07 A4 2.0 CVT. My options for my local dealer are to choose from the following:

Pick from at least 30+ base models, some which have been sitting on the lot over a month, with the premium package (all running from $30,0XX - $32,XXX)

-or-

Pick from at least 1 or 2 S-Line CVT, one with Navigation for $35,5XX and without for $34,3XX).

I really like the S-Line package, all the subtle changes really make it stand out to me however there is only 1 or 2 usually available which makes me think they won't want to drop the price so much.

I usually purchase everything up front. Some people will argue that I am crazy, I really don't see how, but thats just the way I have always purchased cars and usually works out for the lowest cost of ownership in the end after I crunch the numbers, however this is the most expensive car I have purchased so far. I am planning in this case to pay for 85% of the car up front ($13,000 for trade in of 2005 Scion tC, $10,000 down cash), and then pay the difference in the next 4 months.

With that much down, can I expect to maybe shoot for the following prices:
    Base model 2.0t cvt w/ premium package- $28500?
    Base model 2.0t cvt w/ S-Line package - $29500-$30500?

Higher? Lower? Will they likely not want to deal with me as much because they won't be getting much interest off me? Do car dealers like customers like me or grunt when someone makes an offer like this? So far I have gotten the 'Have you thought about leasing' spiel from every salesman I have talked to, at any dealership when I talk of my plan.

Thank you!
  • Options
    Let me get this straight. You have received a quote that is $8000 below MSRP and you want to know if it is a fair deal? The money factor is way too high but the price is remarkable.
  • Options
    bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    When I went to purchase my 2006 A4 with a 6MT, they had very little cars (3 as I recall) along the south east that had the vehicle with the exact options that I wanted plus a manual transmission. If you're in a position to wait, I would request it to be built from scratch and have it delivered to the dealership. I was able to do that in Charlotte and only pay $800 over invoice.

That way you're getting the exact car you want with out any add-ons.
  • Options
    christian1010christian1010 Member Posts: 1
    I leased back in feb. a 2007 Audi A4 S-Line 3.2L Titanium 6 Speed Manual

It has Titanium, Premium, Convenience, and Nav Package (no Bose though :o(

MSRP: 44,890.00
    12K Lease

I put $3000 down becuase I wanted to lower the payment a little bit.

My Payment is $545 a month which includes all tune-up/services and the Lease Wear and Tear Protection. $588 w/Tax

Is it a good deal???

Please let me know

Christian
  • Options
    zmpzmp Member Posts: 24
    I wanted to check if the asking price was fair or should offer less money:

2004 A4 Quattro AWD 6 Speed Manual
    Color: Black
    Mileage: 32000
    Asking Price: $21500 + $2195 (Extended Warranty)

It has leather seats, all power features (including moonroof), heated seats, etc.

The same dealership also has the following car:

2005 A4 Quattro AWD 6 Speed Manual
    Color: Silver
    Mileage: 27000
    Asking Price: $21900 + $2195 (Extended Warranty)

There is not much difference between the price, and the 04 is a year older and has more miles on it. But I drove both and I felt more hp on the 04 and the exterior/interior conditions are better (05 one had noticeable scratches and dings)

Thanks.
  • Options
    newportcarguynewportcarguy Member Posts: 8
    Id like to say I am a car salesman. I work at very prestigious dealership with 300 thousand dollar cars. But i have worked at the lower end of the spectrum. And the difference in customers is drastic. People that buy 300 thousand dollar cars want a good deal as well. They are much more reasonable, they understand that your there to make money, it is a BUSINESS. They ask for 5 or 10 grand off, roughly 2-5 percent off. The cheaper cars, people ask for 10-15-20 percent off. Do people not use logic? It makes me think that the select few of us that make 150k plus a year are actually much smarter and more resonable then people give us credit for.

Happens all the time, someone has a 25 thousand dollar accord and they pay 550 a month. They want to get into a 50 thousand dollar car for 100 bucks more a month. Where did you folks go to school? Twice the car, twice the payment, its not voodoo or crazy math.

To be honest, yes car salesmen do cringe when you come through the door. You grind and grind for minimal amounts of money. If they discount a A4 more then 500 bucks you have a "mini", usually 100-200 dollar that the salesmen receive. People think that we make thousands and thousands of dollars off everyone. Its simply not true. If you are an educated person, you make a fair offer, not 1000 dollars under invoice, if you do, dont expect to get treated like a king. You make a low ball offer and you will get treated like a low ball customer.

Anyone in business knows, If you make 7-10 percent profit its a good business. You ask us to give all our profit and make no money on interest rate's or anything and still ask to be treated with kid gloves. Give me a break. I dont ask you to tile my house for a grand under what you pay for it. Its a slap in the face honestly.

Point being is, make fair offers, dont be unreasonable. We want to sell you a car more then you want to buy one! We are always willing to work with you on price. If all this goes as it should then its a very fun process, but you crying over 10 bucks a month is crazy. I expect alot of negative response to this, I am not attacking anyone at all, just trying to give some actuall infomation to you all.
  • Options
    zmpzmp Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the time you spent on replying my e-mail, but unfortunately all the information provided was unnecessary, unhelpful, unsolicited and a little bit insulting. I would recommend you not abusing this site and instead getting your frustration out using other means. Please don't ever reply to me again. I will then have to file a complaint to the website administrator if you do. I guess YOU are smart enough to have guessed you would get a negative reply. Good luck on making the $200-$300 extra bucks on each sale you make. Sincerely.
  • Options
    I think your point is valid but your delivery is very patronizing. I think you under estimate the audience in this forum, and your tone conveys that the consumer of an Audi is some how is not as reasonable in car purchasing as someone who wants to buy a Lamborghini, just because the vehicles are different in value.

To be quite honest, a good deal is in the eye of the beholder. What may be reasonable to a savvy buyer who's purchased cars for 10 years may be unreasonable to some one like yourself, who sells cars for a living. And to be fair, this is part of the business that you, as a salesman, have signed up for. You're going to get a spectrum of buyers who understand that dealerships need to make a profit and will make what you constitute as a "fair" offer, and you're going to get the other end of buyers who will stop at nothing to buy a car at cost.

My final point is that it's salesmen, such as yourself, that give the car buying process a bad name. Regardless if I'm purchasing the car at sticker versus purchasing the car at below invoice, the customer experience should remain the same. And it's that customer experience that will not only keep that customer coming back to your dealership, but also send referrals to your direction. If you don't think the buyer is making a fair deal, then counter it and let the negotiations begin - it's that simple. But to treat them differently because they make an offer which is unreasonable, creates a sour experience for both parties.

Most of the cars I've purchased were no more than 3% over invoice. Heck, the Audi dealership where I bought my '06 A4 sold me my car for $800 over cost, which I thought was fair, and so did they. And regardless of what I offered, they still treated me like a king, which is why I will go back without hesitation.

To your point, this process should be fun for not only the buyer, but also you as a salesman. And the enjoyment of the car purchasing process should not be contingent upon what's a fair deal in the eye of the salesman.

Best of luck in your profession and I hope my comments offer you a different perspective on the car buying process (from a purchaser's perspective). And as a final suggestion, may I advise never using a buyer's forum to vent about your frustration about selling cars to people like "us".
  • Options
    Have you checked edmunds to see what the used car value is for both vehicles to ensure they are in sync with what they are listing it for? Also, is the 2005 A4 the 2005.5 model when it was redesigned or was it last year's model? Assuming the latter, are the vehicles with the 1.8T engine or the 3.0 engine?

My advice is to go with the car you have a better connection with. While the 2005 is a bit younger, it sounds like you had a better drive in the 2004. Assuming the asking price is within reason against your research, I'd go with the 2004. The mileage is a nominal difference, and you're also buying the extended warrantry, which should help ease any concerns with buying an older car.
  • Options
    I did not intend to come off arrogant or rude. Im sure I did and i appoligize for that.

Sales people are not born with this attitude. The "grinder" customer just gets old at a certain point. You work with someone for four hours trying to get them a deal and they are not willing to budge and make a fair offer. I find that to be unreasonable, basically we are suppose to give everything and if its not what you want you get up and leave. You are right, it is a negotiation. Not hey im gonna offer you a really low price and not move, if your not being reasonable then why should i be? To your purchase, 800 dollars over invoice is a fair offer, and i would except it. Its the people that tell you " my offer is 2 grand under invoice, either you do it or ill leave" That is plain disrespect to a salesperson and his job. If someone feels disrespect ed then why should the sales person continue to be rational when the customer isn't? Its a 50 50 relationship in the higher end vehicles, its almost a courtship.

Also, Whatever you do for a living, lets say you install windows. You come to my house to give me a free estimate. You spend an hour with me showing me different options, giving opinions on what you think would fit me best. You've done your job very well, you lay down some pricing to me. I then proceed to tell you i want all that stuff for 2 grand less then you paid for it and if not then you can leave. This is common place in the 10-50 thousand dollar car market. That would blow your mind wouldn't it?

The majority of us car salesmen are not grease balls. The majority of dealerships are not out to rip people off. Some of us actually care about the customer and put there needs in front of our own. Many times i have pushed customers to a vehicle that suits there needs better, even though i will make less money on the vehicle.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response . . . given the context of what you are talking about in your reply, I can appreciate your frustration. With that said, I think you choose the wrong forum to vent your angst about irrationale buyers. It seemed really out of context given this is an Audi A4 buying experience board. And from those that I've personally interacted with on here, I'd be hard pressed to think that those who've posted in this forum fall under the irrationale bucket.

Much like with any job, you take the bad with the good. You're going to get the rationale buyers who know how this process works and knows there is a seller involved, and you're going to get those that are going to frustrate the crap outta you because they want a Luxry car for $2K under invoice. But to be quite frank, I'm shocked that kind of buyer exists in the $35K - $50K range.

And my last post was not to insinuate all car salesmen are scum without spines; however, I've interacted with my fair share of schleprocks in the car industry. But the way your post came across made it seemed like that anyone who negotiates a "fair" deal is not worth your time. Now that I understand your perspective, I can appreciate where you are coming from and why you made your comments.
  • Options
    You are an intelligent person. I did not meen to insinuate that anyone who wants a fair deal is not worth my time. To be honest, If someone wants an invoice deal that is fine with me, the dealership is making hold back and whatever else on it any ways. Chances are, if you discount a car more then 700 bucks the sales person is getting his minimum on the car any ways. So he or she wants to make the sale so we can get some money in our pocket. Its just the under invoice deals that rub you the wrong way.

Either way, I was just trying to let people know that we are not all liars, i am 23 years old and very established in the business. My folks taught me that lying is wrong, period. I think we all know when we are getting lied to and its not a good feeling. Im just saying....try and base your opinions on a case by case basis. Its not to the same magnitude what so ever, but we all know what stereo types can do, there just unfair and with out cause.

Any who, Happy motoring!
  • Options
    smogilsmogil Member Posts: 40
    I'm not in car sales, but I've been in sales and have worked with people of all different income brackets. The amount you spend on a car (or anything for that matter) doesn't say anything about the "type" of customer that you are. There are people making $100k/yr and buying 911's, and there are people making $1m+ and buying Chevy's. Bottom line is that everyone wants a good deal, regardless of how rich you are. Are people who make more money better educated and thus bargain more fairly? Mayble. Or maybe it's just that people who walk into the lower-end dealerships get treated like crap and that's why they don't trust anyone.

I've been doing a lot of shopping lately. And frankly, I've been insulted at several dealerships by salepeople giving the same BS about how they don't discount the cars, that I'm so lucky I walked into the dealership today because it's the best program they've ever offered, and that if I don't buy the car today there's no guarantee they'll have any more left to sell. And I've been treated differently when I've driven in with a Civic than with my Audi. And just like a saleperson sizes up a customer, customers size up whether a saleperson is full of BS right away.

Point is - if customers get treated fairly, they'll be more reasonable back. You're absolutely correct about a 50-50 relationship. I find that people, generally, are reasonable... but you'll get bad ones no matter what income bracket you are selling cars to.